7.8

1. Dec 17, 2014
    What an exciting improvement upon the first instalment. A fabulous dragon (both in look and voice) that frightens as much as it excites. As usual the acting from the three main leads, McKellen, Ermitage, and Freeman is superb.
  2. Dec 13, 2014
    An Unexpected Journey eased us into the story of Bilbo Baggins which did have merits. The Desolation of Smaug takes a different path and throws us in amongst it all, which makes it a more significant and more entertaining chapter. The quest to the Lonely Mountain continues and concludes in epic fashion. The story is breathlessly told just as any great fantasy story should be. The lack ofAn Unexpected Journey eased us into the story of Bilbo Baggins which did have merits. The Desolation of Smaug takes a different path and throws us in amongst it all, which makes it a more significant and more entertaining chapter. The quest to the Lonely Mountain continues and concludes in epic fashion. The story is breathlessly told just as any great fantasy story should be. The lack of quantitative source material begins to become a positive in the second instalment, as the film feels well paced and appropriately long. The pacing of the film allows it to flow well which enhances the story's presentation. As a result, the plot never feels stop-go or overly congested like the LOTR trilogy did. Nor does it feel too bare like An Unexpected Journey. The Desolation of Smaug is home to well paced plot development, many strong characters and ever present danger which is complimented by some very convincing antagonists. All of which allow for a thoroughly entertaining and impressively compelling film. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2014
    This second installment of The Hobbit is greater in almost every aspect. Unfortunately that does not include CGI.

This is the second installment of the new trilogy in our beloved Middle-earth. It quite spectacular when you see the extended version, and you realize how big the franchise really is. It got so much extra material and things that really connect all the Middle-earth films together. The biggest thing with this movie is that it got much more action than in An Unexpected Journey, especially when it comes to Smaug and “The Necromancer”. Some of the action sequences though, are boring. There’s just nothing unique with them. But there are much more unique and epic scenes, that I can tell you! Therefor it feels much more like Lord of the Rings. The plot is very entertaining and last act of the film is superb. You really want to see the continuation. The characters in The Desolation of Smaug are very good, and combined with an awesome cast like in An unexpected Journey: do I really have high expectations of The Battle of The five Armies. But the thing with this trilogy is that the CGI is very odd. In this film are the CGI very good when it comes to Orcs and Smaug. But at the same time is there much terrible and awful CGI when it comes to natural objects. It didn’t feel real at all. There’s also a big mix of CGI and real recorded scenes. They aren’t working well together. There are much dark scenes; witch didn't work well while using 3D-glasses. The computer-generated light that’s included in some parts in the movie is also terrible.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is much better than the previous film in this new trilogy. The action is greater, better music and a lot more LotR-feeling. But the movie is a bit slow at some places, and the CGI are just terrible sometimes.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug gets an 8/10.
  4. Nov 27, 2014
    People say this movie is much better than the first one, i badly disagree with that, because this movie is the most useless in the franchise so i hope they fix the next one with most useful stuffs.
  5. Nov 22, 2014
    Taken me somewhere I have never been before! i love it. Peter Jackson just took me on a journey through unreality and it blew me away! If this isn't the best movie of 2013 i don't know what is. CANNOT WAIT FOR BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES !
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    For those who do not read the Tolkien books, this is a great movie and a must watch. It is an epic fantasy and filled with many mythological themes. However, to those who are familiar with the Opuses of Tolkien that even surpass the Ocarina of Time, this is excruciatingly painful to watch. Unfortunately, I fell in the second category, believing this to be The Desecration of Smaug.
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    Desolation of Smaug corrects the pacing issue that plagued the first installment and despite its lengthy runtime, still provides fascinating visuals, delivers the sense of adventure and sets things up nicely for the final movie.
  8. Nov 8, 2014
    Milking Tolkien For All He's Worth! See What Happens When Greedy People & Corporations Sink Their Teeth Into A Great Story! Sorry! But I've lost my patience! Watching The Hobbit was quite demoralizing! Unfortunately, The Hobbit has been turned into a commodity like toothpaste and underarm deodorant! There is ZERO justification for turning the Hobbit into a trilogy, if you are going to dragMilking Tolkien For All He's Worth! See What Happens When Greedy People & Corporations Sink Their Teeth Into A Great Story! Sorry! But I've lost my patience! Watching The Hobbit was quite demoralizing! Unfortunately, The Hobbit has been turned into a commodity like toothpaste and underarm deodorant! There is ZERO justification for turning the Hobbit into a trilogy, if you are going to drag out the story and do such a poor job. The Tolkien family - who I assume controls the rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's works - should be ashamed of themselves.They could have insisted in putting the story first instead of letting director Jackson create such a vapid and mediocre second Hobbit film. It's really quite sad! How can a director who made 3 masterpieces out of Lord of the Rings stoop so low and turn The Hobbit into something so trite and empty that, at times, it's like watching a Saturday morning breakfast cereal commercial on T.V.?

I badly wanted to like this movie. At least the first movie of The Hobbit trilogy had some interesting moments despite its many flaws. But now the Hobbit has been turned into a cartoon with mostly boring two-dimensional, cardboard characters. The acting was so poor at times it ruined the illusion. But worst of all, there's very little heart, unlike the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is the epitome of passion and adventure and good storytelling.

I also think part of the problem is that director Jackson is trying to turn The Hobbit into another The Lord of the Rings, which is quite stupid. They are very different stories. From what I have read, Tolkien wrote The Hobbit essentially for fun and wasn't even going to have it published until his friend, the great writer, C. S. Lewis convinced him otherwise. The Tolkien family should have went with a different director. Since when does one man own a storytelling giant like Tolkien?

Then I was forced to watch this awful movie in 3D or drive elsewhere. I noticed about 30 seconds of special 3D affects. How can that be called a 3D movie? I call it a rip-off and I wish the Federal government would call such a claim fraud, so filmmakers would think twice about ripping off the public!

Hollywood pulled the same stretching-out-the-story-stunt with Harry Potter, but at least I was smart enough to never have watched the last film. I eventually became so disgusted, I could care less what happened to Harry Potter. The same storytelling destruction non-sense has now captured the Hobbit. When I started hoping that Smaug would snap Bilbo Baggins and the King of the Dwarfs in a half, I realized I'm now done with all things Hobbit movie related!!
  9. Oct 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Desolation plunders and entices as things begin to really improve in the hobbit saga. In the year's ultimate fantasy/adventure film we get strong characters and exciting story arch's on the final leg to Bilbo's journey. For those who did not appreciate the first film, this one is not for you, otherwise sit back and enjoy. Peter Jackson continues to inspire my imagination with his vision and that is what truly has held these movies together. Expand
  10. Oct 19, 2014
    Thorin and company have reached Lake-town and it is time for the hobbit Bilbo Baggins to fulfill his contract with the dwarves. The party must complete the journey to Lonely Mountain and burglar Baggins must seek out the Secret Door that will give them access to the hoard of the dragon Smaug. If Bilbo and the others are able to gain the treasure, will they be able to keep it? And will theyThorin and company have reached Lake-town and it is time for the hobbit Bilbo Baggins to fulfill his contract with the dwarves. The party must complete the journey to Lonely Mountain and burglar Baggins must seek out the Secret Door that will give them access to the hoard of the dragon Smaug. If Bilbo and the others are able to gain the treasure, will they be able to keep it? And will they discover what has become of the wizard Gandalf? Expand
  11. Sep 28, 2014
    This film is as good as "Attack of the killer tomatoes". The plot is as near to The Hobbit as Killer Tomatoes is to pizza making; the action scenes are just as laughable (yet higher technical quality). If Jackson had come to Tolkien's tomb and shat inside, it would be less of an insult to his memory.
    As a comic film, it could be good. I really laughed when I saw a hobbit on a metal plate surfing over molten gold. He's made of asbestos!
  12. Sep 26, 2014
    Not surprisingly, "Desolation of Smaug" is exponentially better than its shaky predecessor, "An Unexpected Journey". Every scene is exciting and entertaining, and the visual effects are absolutely amazing; Smaug looked especially visually beautiful. The one problem this film had was that it condensed the best chapters in the book to just a few minutes such as the spider attack scene.
  13. Sep 3, 2014
    I'll admit being one of the first to criticize stretching The Hobbit into thirds. That would mean this middle chapter was complete rubbish. The Desolation of Smaug is both an achievement on its own as well as a bridge into the final installment.
  14. Aug 19, 2014
    This movie totally sucks, even more than the first installment. I've sued Jackson for wasting nearly 3 hours of my life that I will never get back. I demanded monetary compensation for the severe mental abuse OR Jackson incarcerated for crimes against humanity. I haven't even read the books and still could tell after 20 minutes there is no way this travesty is anywhere close to the sourceThis movie totally sucks, even more than the first installment. I've sued Jackson for wasting nearly 3 hours of my life that I will never get back. I demanded monetary compensation for the severe mental abuse OR Jackson incarcerated for crimes against humanity. I haven't even read the books and still could tell after 20 minutes there is no way this travesty is anywhere close to the source material by Tolkien. The plot is laughable at best, those action sequences are ludicrous. Most insane one being some blond dyke standing on the heads of two dwarfs going down a raging river and shooting endless volleys towards running Orcs and taking them out with a cruise missile like precision. Seeing so many people still enjoying such utter garbage, convinces me there is no hope whatsoever for this civilization. May God have mercy on our souls, we are doomed! Expand
  15. Aug 16, 2014
    Better than the first one by a long shot. I enjoyed every scene, except the ones with the Bard (who seems mild-mannered and not too leader-esque) and the barrel-river scene (which also was a bit long and somewhat ridiculous), but I digress.
    From Lonely Mountain on it was a great show indeed. Can't wait for the Battle of Five Armies.
    In summary, rent if you can. Buy if you like the LOTR
    In summary, rent if you can. Buy if you like the LOTR and Peter Jackson/Tolkien series thus far. 3D not really worth the price honestly.
  16. Aug 15, 2014
    The second film in this trilogy dispenses with the relative reverence of the first, and that turns out to be a good thing. Its predecessor suffered a bit because it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a scene-for-scene retelling of the novel or a looser, action-oriented adaptation. This film resides firmly in the second camp, and everything works better for it. For example, the escapeThe second film in this trilogy dispenses with the relative reverence of the first, and that turns out to be a good thing. Its predecessor suffered a bit because it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a scene-for-scene retelling of the novel or a looser, action-oriented adaptation. This film resides firmly in the second camp, and everything works better for it. For example, the escape from the Woodland Realm is every bit as over the top as the last film's escape from Goblin-town, but it doesn't feel so out of place, so it's easier just to kick back and enjoy the ride. The changes from the book once again mostly work, and in this case actually make more sense. Bard the Bargeman might not be as awesome as Bard the Bowman, at least not yet, but he is much more fleshed out, and the film finally gives the Company a decent reason for needing a burglar. I could have done without the dwarf-dragon battle at the end, I really liked the addition of Tauriel.

My biggest objection continues to be the over-reliance on CGI. Make no mistake, the Smaug of the title is every bit as incredible as I ever imagined he could be, but decision to animate Azog's son doesn't work out so well. I understand that it was a late decision to give what was originally a live performance a computer makeover, and it shows in how unrealistic he looks next to Daddy.

Overall, this is another fine addition to Jackson's Middle-earth saga, expanding on the previous film while avoiding its pacing pitfalls.
  17. Aug 7, 2014
    Excellent movie Series..!! thanks a lot for making an extra ordinary movie :) you have really worked hard as well as amazing. hope to watch an unfinished tale as well.
  18. Aug 6, 2014
    There was a great cast : Ian McKellen ! Martin Freeman ! Richard Armitage!
    Peter Jackson was the director of The Lord of the Rings ; King Kong ; Lovely Bones...
    There was an amazing composer for the soundtrack : Howard Shore... So ? What happened ? The 3D is useless, the picture is often illegible. The set smells the green screen and the numeric with full nose. And, I know a movie can
    There was a great cast : Ian McKellen ! Martin Freeman ! Richard Armitage!
    There was an amazing composer for the soundtrack : Howard Shore...

So ? What happened ? The 3D is useless, the picture is often illegible. The set smells the green screen and the numeric with full nose. And, I know a movie can be brilliant without respecting the work of origin but : Legolas ? Seriously ? What the hell is he doing there if it's not to make a useless allusion to Lord of the Rings...
    To my mind, here is that is that movie : a far too long useless allusion to Lord of the Rings, a work which suffered from the Peter Jackson's numerical megalomania for, in the final, a result close to the disgusting.
    Without forgetting the useless sub-plots added to the screenplay (an emancipation towards the book, okay, why not, but from there to change all the weft it...) ; some strokes of humour which completely fall flat ; the completely ridiculous look of the dwarfs and, naturally, unspeakable campaign of communication and advertisement made around films (planes, immense sculptures in stations and.), amounting to a degree of nonsense which exceeds the imagination !!
    In brief : Much Ado About Nothing !
  19. Aug 4, 2014
    And I thought the first one was boring, well, this sequel is worse. There is almost nothing going on for the most of the movie. The effects are great, beautiful environments and all that but it doesn't matter since the story is booooooring.
  20. Jul 29, 2014
    It may be more satisfying than its disappointing predecessor, but "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is still struggling with its weak storyline and extremely long sequences. It attempts to present something more in the "Lord of the Rings" style, but maturity does not come simply with more darkness and childish romance. Martin Freeman seems the perfect fit for Bilbo, and, of course, IanIt may be more satisfying than its disappointing predecessor, but "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is still struggling with its weak storyline and extremely long sequences. It attempts to present something more in the "Lord of the Rings" style, but maturity does not come simply with more darkness and childish romance. Martin Freeman seems the perfect fit for Bilbo, and, of course, Ian McKellen's Gandalf is superb, like in every other Middle-Earth movie. The visuals are impressive, even not as realistic as they could be, and direction is notably good.

If "The Hobbit" had remained true to the book, a comparison with the superior "Lord of the Rings" trilogy would be possibly easier to avoid. Its significant alteration of the original story, however, ends in a confusing result you don't know if you want to love or hate.
  21. Jul 17, 2014
    I enjoyed The Hobbit II much better than the first film. The Hobbit is my favorite book, so Im biased, but It was very enjoyable. The scenes with the dragon are the best. I used to call my ex Smaug behind her back so seeing Smaug in the film was special for me.
  22. Jul 13, 2014
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a really awesome LotR movie. It feels significantly fresher than 'An Unexpected Journey' but also retains that films delightful fairy-tale edge. And Smaug himself was a fantastic creation. More please!
  23. Jun 30, 2014
    I don't know if I am just getting used to the storyline of Middle Earth, because this one seemed a bit tired with that been there done that theme. I take away one point. Largely a very entertaining film and large quality. Love all the new elements not in the book. I cant wait for the third one.
  24. Jun 27, 2014
    I try not to rate anything too low, because thing has to be something that you point to and say, "This was good, right?"
    Wrong, because The Desolation of Smaug was horrible start to finish. Where The Hobbit was a slap in the face to Tolkien, TDoS was a burning bag of crap left at his doorstep. I went into this movie with low expectations and only 15 minutes in realized that even so I had expected too much.

First, why it's not a good movie:
    They do a very poor job of portraying the time frame of this movie and by you end you think to yourself, "Oh, they were only three days from the mountain including jail time, I wonder why they make this out to be such an undertaking?" because in the book they took Months!
    The Characters are impossible to relate to as each one has not had a proper time frame to develop, so you end up with a cast of 15 or so completely forgettable characters.
    This movie is essentially four staged areas with nothing in between and ends up feeling like a cobbled together selection of short stories that don't connect properly.
    Wacky Willys Barrel ride down the river scene is one of the worst displays of directing excess I have seen since Micheal Bays Transformer movies.
    The script is poor/rushed with no memorable conversations or lines in two and half hours of run time.

Second, why it's a horrible adaptation:
    Significant, memorable scenes from the book (the introduction of the dwarves to Beorn, the pursuit of the Elven feasts in the forest, the true ending to Bilbo's conversation with Smaug) have been replaced with horrible scens that aren't in the book (Filli chatting up Elven lady in Dungeon, Orcs attacking Laketown, Dwarves battling Smaug).
    The ring, which was asleep in the book and had no effect on characters apart from turning Bilbo invisible, is now awake and wrecking Bilbo. Add to that every evil character in the movie basically proclaiming the coming of Sauron even though it's supposed to be a secret. Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the Tolkien universe would know that this is completely incorrect and creates continuity issues. Why does Sauron not sense the ring is in the forest right beside him? Why does his eye not appear when Bilbo puts on the ring? Why do elves and men not react appropriately knowing that Sauron is back but not at full strength?
    Upon close examination, not a single scene or event has been left unaltered from the book which means that this movie is not an adaptation, but rather some loose tribute using similar characters and settings but retaining nothing of the original.

I give the one for the excellent casting of Cumberbatch as Smaug as well as the CG on the dragon. (The rest of the scene is complete garbage as the idea of the Dragon sensing the ring and Bilbo removing it is a complete deviation.)

Save yourself from this and just rent the Trilogy again.
  25. Jun 23, 2014
    The movie was epic, adventurous, funny, and enjoyable. An absolute must see. I can't wait for the last Hobbit movie to come out. But after the third Hobbit movie, this will probably be the last live action adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's works. Unless Peter Jackson finds another work by J.R.R. Tolkien and makes it into a movie.
  26. Jun 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fairly awful treatment of Tolkien's work. Why did Jackson add so many stupid things? I mean, a love affair between a dwarf and an elf? C"MON!!! If he'd done it in a way that was mature it still would have been barely acceptable, but the mediocre and degradingly juvenile way in which he did it here was really in low taste. Then there is the giant dwarf statue made of molten gold? Huh? No really, simply awful. I really liked the first movie, this one was really bad. Expand
  27. Jun 15, 2014
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of....whatever.
    The final result of a trilogy dying on it's knees,
    Who really ever never cared about a hobbit enough to devote 3 films
    to there kind,
  28. Jun 12, 2014
    I don't understand how this got a bad metascore. I think this was better than the first because it was full of so much action and suspense. Not only was it almost just like the book but it actually portrayed it. The best part was by far when he was in the palace with all the gold and treasure trying to find the special crystal. Then when the dragon woke up and it was learking aroundI don't understand how this got a bad metascore. I think this was better than the first because it was full of so much action and suspense. Not only was it almost just like the book but it actually portrayed it. The best part was by far when he was in the palace with all the gold and treasure trying to find the special crystal. Then when the dragon woke up and it was learking around looking for him, it was talking to him saying things like, "I can smell you", and "Come out come out wherever you are." And at that point it just had so much suspense and actually wowed me. Expand
  29. May 30, 2014
    Still a cash grab in my opinion, but a well made one. Of course, the dragon delivers with great effects and all, but the pacing is off and it moves too slow, until the next exciting set pieces that is.
  30. May 25, 2014
    Now that I have seen this movie twice once in IMAX 3D HFR format and once in standard format i can say the film feels great either way you watch it. Also I see that a lot more people are liking the HFR this time around which is good becuase I loved it in the first film when most were skeptical of it. Sure they left out some stuff from the book and added in some new thing's that weren't inNow that I have seen this movie twice once in IMAX 3D HFR format and once in standard format i can say the film feels great either way you watch it. Also I see that a lot more people are liking the HFR this time around which is good becuase I loved it in the first film when most were skeptical of it. Sure they left out some stuff from the book and added in some new thing's that weren't in it but that didn't degrade my experience of the film.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is an amazing movie no doubt about the only other movie that I had just as good of a time watching it at the theater was Gravity. That movie was only 1 hour 30 minutes this movie has at least an hour more of screen time which is non stop epicness. All the Dwarves are still kickass sure it seemed like they had less screen time and I didn't get a get a feel of all them in the group like i did in the first film but they all at one point have thier moment. The barrel scene was so hilarious better then how i expected it to turn out it felt like a mini adventure in itself. Bombur in barrels was so amazing him just spinning around killing orcs that was just brilliant.

Orlando Bloom as Legolas was great he is just BOSS in this straight epic kills the whole time just like back in LOTR. He was also part of the barrel scene which is a part of why that whole scene was epic. Sure he wasn't in the book but the book takes place just 75 years before LOTR and Legolas is anywhere between 500 and 900 years old so it would only makes sense that he would be in it I mean he is the son of Thranduil the elf king. Also Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly) not being an actual Tolkien character she still did an amazing job. I can understand why people don't like her and with her story arc it can be annoyin but I still liked the character being in the film it's always good to have and stunningly beautiful elf girl.

Martin Freeman (Bilbo) again was amazing and with Bilbo going through the first movie finds his "courage" and is more of a badass in this time around killing huge spiders and not being compleatly scared to death of Smaug no way he could have done that in the last film. You also see the toll of what the ring has done and is doing to Bilbo and how he is starting to notice for himslef the power of the ring. Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug was of course the best character of the film for sure his voice is just so cold and chilling. Seeing this in IMAX was of course a must you can't pass up seeing Smaug in IMAX and i wasnt disappointed he is massive. For a moment there how big he is made me think about the mountian the dwarves carved out and how huge that thing was for Smaug to be able to just move about in there with ease.

Ian McKellen wasn't in the film that much he is for like the first 20 mintues then maybe another 15 mintues 20 max throughout the rest of the film. His battle with The Necromancer was the best part of the film I thought though the whole light magic vs dark magic fight was epic. Luke Evans was great as Bard I always liked him as an actor he was just never in any good movies before this.

There was only a couple thing's I didn't like about the movie one of them was the CGI. A couple times the melted gold looked pretty bad and one time that I seen Smaug looked bad. Now I know Weta can do better then that they the have proved it with movies time and time again it just sucks they dropped the ball this time around. The other thing is the Soundtrack isn't the best Howard Shore is the best hands down but it seems with the soundtrack it didn't set the scenes like it did in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and with the LOTR trilogy the only times I really felt the music while I was watching the movie was right in the opening and when Gandalf was fighting The Necromancer other then that it was meh.

Overall I give it a 8.5 I aboslutly love this movie can't wait till blu ray so I can buy it then buy it again when the extended edition comes out like I always have with these films. Oh yeah the Stephen Colbert Cameo was EPIC!!!!
  31. May 21, 2014
    I knew before seeing the film that it would take a different direction to the book. This didn't worry me at all. However once the party of dwarves left Beorn's house, this film disintegrated into nonsense. The Smaug scenes involving the dwarves, the elf-dwarf love story, all of Lake Town and Bard, the stupid orc-elf fight at the river were all pitiful. The film dragged on way too long.I knew before seeing the film that it would take a different direction to the book. This didn't worry me at all. However once the party of dwarves left Beorn's house, this film disintegrated into nonsense. The Smaug scenes involving the dwarves, the elf-dwarf love story, all of Lake Town and Bard, the stupid orc-elf fight at the river were all pitiful. The film dragged on way too long. I just hope the third film has realistic battle scenes e.g. something like Romans vs German tribes the start of Gladiator. Warhammer-esque dwarves make my brain hurt. The Moria Gimli dressed in 20th Century German soldier harness would be preferable, please. Expand
  32. May 21, 2014
    It was a good movie. I enjoyed it a lot and liked the fact that peter Jackson brought back legolas. I liked the changes from the book to the movie and disliked some, I admire the way they designed smaug.
  33. May 17, 2014
    God the movie was so damn bad.Having read the book i can tell you first hand that the director and the writers did not even read the book.Half the sruff did not happen.Legolas?Not there.Gandalf side story?Not there.Kili romance with tauriel?No no no no.The dwarves trying to kill smaug the way drogo killed viserys?COME ON THE PEOPLE ARENT EVEN TRYING

And let's skip how they ruined the

And let's skip how they ruined the mirkwood scene...
  34. May 16, 2014
    Good movie but still far away from LOTR . Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing as Smaug's voice . The only problem with this movie is the elf-dwarf love story
  35. May 7, 2014
    The tales of Middle Earth continue, with all the spectacle and epic moments we have come to expect from the Peter Jackson movies. It's a huge improvement over the already great first movie. The characters are just as enjoyable as always, and the story does an excellent job of providing it's own story whilst showing us events that lead up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Overall I wasThe tales of Middle Earth continue, with all the spectacle and epic moments we have come to expect from the Peter Jackson movies. It's a huge improvement over the already great first movie. The characters are just as enjoyable as always, and the story does an excellent job of providing it's own story whilst showing us events that lead up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Overall I was blown away. I only have one minor complaint, and that is that the over-the-top action and goofy moments this movie provides is at odds with what I have come to expect from the Tolkien universe. It's not bad, it's just that some times it can feel out of place. Still this is one excellent movie, and one that any Middle Earth fan will love. I do recommend that newcomers experience the first Hobbit before jumping into this one though. I give the movie a near-perfect score of 9.9/10. Expand
  36. May 7, 2014
    A whole lot of extra and, IMHO, unnecessary stuff to get three films out of one short book... However, worth $1.26 at Redbox but somewhat irritating if you loved the book... Too much like Lord of the Rings in tone and substance...
  37. May 3, 2014
    This second chapter devoted to the adventures of Bilbo is clearly our most upbeat and dynamic than the first, which was preparing , instead , only to usher in a land of fairy-tale and a half more joyous than we had seen in "The Lord of the Rings ."
    In "The Desolation of Smaug ," the fairy-tale atmosphere of the first was slowly dissolved, As the figure of the magician is to emerge in the future Sauron , the symbol of pure evil .
    Despite having a script slightly weaker than the first episode , which was almost poetic , is much more convincing in terms of narrative and this time the scenes and additional characters are not at all out of place.
    Doubled the action scenes , the fights ( some a little ' forced I admit) , but above all the characters, the story has not in fact a single thread as in the first chapter , but it follows the fortunes of different groups of characters .
    Although this film has taken a little 'space Bilbo , who was the protagonist in the first , this new feature has helped make " The Desolation of Smaug " more like the old timeless Jackson trilogy , which also had a multitude of characters and situations.
    A praise is due to the realization of Smaug do it , which is really something fantastic, impressive , magnificent, superior.
    In my opinion this movie had all the papers in order to reach the level of the first three masterpieces by Jackson, but unfortunately was hit from the soundtrack (which despite being epic is not remotely comparable to the work done by the old trilogy ) , and the script, which convinces , but not jaw-dropping .
    I want to clarify that I have not read the book , so I can not comment on the film at 360 degrees, but the emotions that made me feel while watching were really intense , and at times I felt like I really go back to the first trilogy.
  38. May 1, 2014
    This movies tries to deliver us an interesting plot, but turns out to be tedious and slow, with action sequences that fail in entertaining us, or being visually outstanding, and tries to keep us up to the third part by bringing us a cliffhanger ending.
  39. May 1, 2014
    Except for the following;Bilbo,Gandalf,Beorn,Dwarf-names,Spiders,Elf-King,Barrels,Laketown,Bard,Master,Key,Smaug,Arkenstone and a few other words,this disgrace has little to do with the great mans work.For the only time in my entire life,as well as millions of others,I'm glad he is dead.This would have surely killed him to see.Pray Hollywood don't get their filthy hands on the Silmarillion...
  40. Apr 30, 2014
    If your not a fan of the Hobbit series, don't waste your time watching this movie. It is by far the worse in the series.

If your a Hardcore Hobbit fan, this movie would have to be rated hypocrisy. This movie takes the way Disney changes stories to something unrecognizable, to whole new levels. Except Disney creates entertaining movies. At least half of the movie, has nothing to do with the actual Hobbit story.

My family and I had to laugh at how absurdly off this movie was. Half of the fun was making up more absurdly inaccurate Hobbit tales. Laughing at Jackson's "Desolation of the Hobbit" tale was the only reason I give this a 3.

The only reason to watch this movie, is because it uses more frame rates than most. This "Historical" factor, has to be the only reason "Movie fans" are rating it highly. However, most won't notice it, unless watching it on an absolutely top of the line system.
  41. Apr 21, 2014
    First off, as a movie relating to the books, it's terrible; beyond awful. I mean seriously, Legolas and Tauriel (who should not even be there) literally stole the spotlight from Bilbo (keep in mind that the movie is called the HOBBIT), and further pushed a ultra-cheesy love story with Killi? I mean seriously?!

Second, as a movie itself, it is also awful. The pacing is off once more,

Second, as a movie itself, it is also awful. The pacing is off once more, and the special effects just make the movie look fake.

Congratulations Peter Jakcosn, aka the new George Lucas, for screwing up the prequels after making a brilliant LOTR Trilogy.
  42. Apr 21, 2014
    Although not bad, i dont get rid of the feeling that peter jackson and co. don´t do the Hobbit movies with the same love and detail like they did the Lord of the Ring Trilogy. This said, Desolation of smaug is not a bad movie
  43. Apr 21, 2014
    I'm not really sure what to say. The movie kinda deviates from what I remember from the book. Still, book and obvious differences aside I still thought it was allot of fun.

From an entertainment point of view, I though it was far better than the last Hobbit movie. Lots of great action scenes and some amazing effects. The Dragon was pretty bad ass and it is rare that I remember seeing a true fantasy Dragon (Sean Connery's Dragon Heart does not count.) Sexy elf lady was pretty cool, should be more female character like her.

However, this movie gave me an overall feeling of doing too much and nothing at all at the same time. The movie really feels like filler and could easily have been edited down to fit onto the end and beginning of the first and last movies.

Overall:
    The Desolation of Smaug is far, far, far from perfect, but it is allot of fun to watch and is easier to forgive if you think of it as a loose adaptation, than a direct one.

Side Note:
    If anyone from the production team of the movie reads this, please fill in a little exposition into the next movie as to WHY Smaug is hording gold. He's clearly highly intelligent and not an over sized Magpie. What possible use could he have for it? Does he eat it?
  44. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I guess I should give two scores. If you have not read the book, it's probably worth a 6 or 7 (and shame on you). If you have read the book, you might feel that I am being too generous. I believe that the screen writers MAY have heard of J. R. R. Tolkien from a friend or something. The relationship ends there. I can only hope that this series of movies will be remade by someone who actually cares about the story instead of the almighty dollar. I spent the entire second half of the movie shaking my head, muttering,"No, no, no! That didn't happen like that!" The only movies I have seen that butchered their source material this badly were Eragon and Kubrick's version of The Shining. Expand
  45. Apr 18, 2014
    A really good action movie. I thought this one was way better than the first one. Smaug was casted and played awesomely. It did have a really long run time but I don't fell that any of the scenes were un needed. Great job with this movie.
  46. Apr 13, 2014
    WOW!
    Just as good as the first one, maybe even surpasses it by the plain fact of there being a dragon in it! I recommend this movie to ANYONE and EVERYONE! If your the kind of moviegoer that enjoys action, fantasy, battles and things being killed then this is the movie for you!
  47. Apr 12, 2014
    I am so bitter after writing my first review of this film that I feel I have to add to it by assuming the great Ian Mckellen was asked to play down his acting ability so as not to undermine the other mediocre performances in both these films ...I look forward greatly when I hear of a monumental fantasy film in the pipe line as they are far and few between....I hope a director with visionI am so bitter after writing my first review of this film that I feel I have to add to it by assuming the great Ian Mckellen was asked to play down his acting ability so as not to undermine the other mediocre performances in both these films ...I look forward greatly when I hear of a monumental fantasy film in the pipe line as they are far and few between....I hope a director with vision and the backing of a major studio have the balls between them to bring us another fantasy tour de force such as Terry Brooks shannara series or the fantastic works of Raymond E Feist.....IF YOU ARE LISTENING JACKO,GET YOUR HEAD OUT YOUR ARSE AND BRAIN BACK IN GEAR AND BEAT EM TO THE PUNCH Expand
  48. Apr 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I'd like to apologise to my eyes for making them watch this garbage.
    The book was fantastic, the 2 movies (so far) are crap.
    The story has been changed so much that it's barely recognizable.
    Did the script writers even READ the book?
    Where did Legolas come from?
    Orcs chasing the barrels down the river?
    Orcs in Laketown?
    The entire fight sequence between the dwarves and Smaug just didn't happen. Smaug was already dead by the time the dwarves went into Eribor.
    I didn't know bard had kids? There were none in the book.
    I could go on and on, but you get the point.
    I'm sure that if J.R.R. was alive today, he'd be suing someone for the butcher job they did on his story.
    If you insist on seeing it, may I suggest you go to your local video store and RENT it for $5.00
  49. Mar 29, 2014
    I did actually like the first Hobbit movie, despite what some may say, but Desolation of Smaug was amazing! The first few minutes were a little bit bland, but it picked up really fast. The action in this film was really good; it would get very fast paced and epic and it was just a lot of fun, I especially love the barrel scene. The scenes with Smaug were also great however I did kind-ofI did actually like the first Hobbit movie, despite what some may say, but Desolation of Smaug was amazing! The first few minutes were a little bit bland, but it picked up really fast. The action in this film was really good; it would get very fast paced and epic and it was just a lot of fun, I especially love the barrel scene. The scenes with Smaug were also great however I did kind-of got my groove threw off at the ending due to it having a huge cliffhanger, but overall this was a very good film and I look forward to There and Back Again when that comes out later this year. Expand
  50. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed the first part more than this one. It was more character-oriented and at least had a resolution regarding one plot element (Bilbo becoming accepted and respected among the dwarves).

This, however, feels a little like a mess.

No subplot reaches a satisfying conclusion. Not a single one. The dragon story ends with Smaug flying over to the laketown, with Bilbo watching over in horror. Gandalf is trapped. The orc army is not defeated, and it's not even begun its attack. In short, story-wise, it felt like a camera cutting a scene mid-sentence.

Another problem, is the unconvincing of other story parts. Like when the dwarves are trying to get the Arkenstone ti unite the dwarven families, so they go back to the same place they're in, to kill a dragon they know can only die with a certain weapon they don't possess. What the hell??

And their strategy in trying to kill it, is by luring him into a trap by calling it names. Seriously? This is an insult to a dragon character, that was previously portrayed as a highly cunning creature.

And what is it with that romance thing between the dwarf and elf? Doesn't have any sense of purpose, meaning, or emotion.

The only redeeming qualities in this film, is the action scenes, Peter Jackson's brilliant directing, the beautiful art direction, and the overall sense of adventure.

I hope the final part will be better than this. I hope it focuses on the characters again, because they are rarely interacting in this one. And i hope it has a stronger emotional punch.
  51. Mar 13, 2014
    This movie is a personalization of Hollywood's greed. Wonderful book was taken and transformed into trilogy with bizarre moments that were created in sick mind of script editors and references to Lord of the Rings that never were in original.

60% of movie is just made up to make it longer, but non is done in a good way. And it's just makes it boring as hell. Please someone tell Peter

Please someone tell Peter Jackson that he is not Mr. Lucas. He is not filming pre-story to his wonderful trilogy. He is filing different book. let him read it.

The movie is not bad in general. It's good only 40% of time when it follows book. I hope they will make special edition based book authentic script and cutting three movies to look like they were made actually based on Hobbit. Not a greedy - mind created hobbit.
  52. Mar 8, 2014
    This sequel improves on the first film's pacing and it was exactly what I wanted from this film. Smaug was a bad-ass (coolest dragon ever), the film was entertaining and thrilling, and the journey back to Middle-Earth was a warm welcome.
  53. Mar 7, 2014
    Simply put, I loved this movie. I was surprised to hear the number of people say they were disappointed in the first movie, but I think those that were will not be will this installment. Although Jackson takes some creative liberties, I believe they were for making a better movie than just straight up adapting the book.
  54. Mar 6, 2014
    I say it once and i say it a gain device hobbit in 3 part is the stupid thing peter Jackson ever did.The movie have a lot of unnecessary scenes just to took movie as long as the request . The CGI is only thing good but he use a lot of CGI for background instead go out side and use real scene. The camera is another disappointed it give me the headache rather than good view
  55. Mar 5, 2014
    the hobbit is a cliff hanger i hate these kinds of movies to be continued . it takes forever also dont buy it on dvd . so i hope no this is the last one
  56. Mar 3, 2014
    This movie was absolutely horrible!!! I love the first 2 films (they are my favorite), but this. My god, I couldn't wait for this movie to get over with. I just hated it!
  57. Feb 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Coming to cinema two months later in Mainland China, the second chapter of THE HOBBIT TRILOGY is poised to prevail the box office in a rather lethargic period after the red-hot Chinese Spring Fe festival.

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (2012, 6/10) is a relentless roller-coaster ride with a slew of visual stunts to propel a succinct plot, which doesn’t live up to the expectation of THE LORD OF THE RINGS’ Middle Earth triumphant standing, also Peter Jackson’s innovative shooting technology has received with some resistance and negative feedbacks. The second round, a 3D version is all we have in China, the palette is light-toned, the textual sharpness hasn’t been refined from the first one, a tad dim and the same landscape doesn’t register the same rapt effect anymore.

Nevertheless, the film is an ameliorated update from AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, not simply because of Smaug’s imposing grandeur and droll garrulousness (voiced by a malignantly intoning Cumberbatch). The plain narration bifurcates from the early start, when Gandalf (McKellen) detaches from the rest of the expedition on a solitary quest, as it often pans out, the journey without the omnipotent grey wizard galvanizes more excitement and comic relief. The action set pieces are imbued with sufficient antics in the barrel cruise, the comeback of Legolas (Bloom) and a freshly coined female elf Tauriel (Lilly) reinforces audience’s modern aesthetic as a welcoming love triangle among the two and a handsome (and slightly taller-than-average) dwarf Kili (Turner) is a clever deployment to gratify a touch of romanticism and conforms with the topical love equity enthusiasm. The pulchritude of slaughtering orcs with dexterous archery can never stultify the viewers.

When Bilbo (Freeman) lurches into Smaug’s turf to exert his burglar role, it prompts the zenith with the disparate duel between the dwarf pack and the indomitable fire-generator, it is also worth mentioning the dissonant atmosphere between Bilbo and Thorin (Armitage), is the hobbit only an expedient pawn for Thorin’s stout-hearted vengeance to reclaim his kingdom, or the boundary of species can be breached through Bilbo’s valorous altruism? Let’s wait and see what will happen in the final venture.

This time, one might be able to distinguish the 13 dwarfs more easily besides Thorin, Balin (Stott), Kili and Fili (O’Gorman), Freeman is consistently indulged in his invisible vantage with the ring, while McKellen’s Gandalf has some perilous path to overcome. The film is properly enlightened by several new characters, apart from Tauriel’s apropos feminine touch, Bard (Evans) is the key character introduced here, and for certain his import in the finale is well hinted although we haven’t seen too much potential in him yet. And it is always a delight to watch Stephen Fry, sketchily appears as the Master of Laketown, quips with his insidious underling Alfrid (Gage).

As a middle section of a trilogy, this film actually skirts the conundrum of being left in the epic and enmeshed background without a certain closure to end the film itself, it is both satisfied to see to a not out-and-out victory and intrigued to imagine what will happen when the dragon is released to a more spacious scale, all magnetizes its core audience to return for a third time.
  58. Feb 25, 2014
    It was an improvement from the previous installment but continues to lack memorable characters due to a shortfall in character development creating no emotional attachment to any of the dwarfs travelling with Bilbo Baggins. However, the visuals are amazing it is much more action packed compared to the first one giving it a final score of 64.6 out of 100.
  59. Feb 24, 2014
    It's no LOTR but this is certainly much better than the first movie. The high frame rate doesn't annoy me as much, probably because I'm use to it now but I wasn't back then when the first movie came out in theatres. Back then it looked more like a video game and there was really no value to it. Sadly, some of the problems from the first movie are still present in this movie. It's like 3It's no LOTR but this is certainly much better than the first movie. The high frame rate doesn't annoy me as much, probably because I'm use to it now but I wasn't back then when the first movie came out in theatres. Back then it looked more like a video game and there was really no value to it. Sadly, some of the problems from the first movie are still present in this movie. It's like 3 hours long (which would be okay if it wasn't boring half the time) and it's overstuffed with underdeveloped characters. The fact that this movie uses footnotes from many of Tolkien's other novels means that it's not truly faithful to the original source material, too often it diverts away from the main story. Only the devoted Tolkien fans (not me) would get the most out of it but for the uninitiated (me), it just feels like a lot of subplots. There's really no need to extend a short children's book into a trilogy. The only reason for that is to make even more money (obviously 3 is more than 1). The Hobbit trilogy is just Peter Jackson's way of reliving his golden era when the LOTR trilogy was critically and commercially successful, with the last movie winning Best Picture award. This movie would be better off as one movie, or maybe even a two-parter because at least then it would be more faithful to the book. But of course, all the good points in the last movie are present in this movie as well such as the film's visual style, score, special effects and the wonderful performances from the cast. This movie is more action packed than the last one which makes it more enjoyable and stand out as an exciting fantasy adventure in it's own right. I do hate that it's a bit of a disappointment when you compare it to LOTR therefore, I won't be expecting the last movie to meet the same standard (but I do hope it's good). I do understand that the books are very different from each other but Peter Jackson's direction makes the two franchises very similar to each other. He does almost everything he did back when he was directing LOTR so don't b***h about how it's unfair to compare The Hobbit to LOTR. If you're already a fan of the first movie, no doubt you'll enjoy this one. Expand
  60. Feb 20, 2014
    I saw the movie in IMAX and 3D. Visually, the movie is stunning with terrific special effects. There is a lot of action in the film, and it is one of the loudest movies I have ever attended. Most of the action sequences went on a little too long for me, especially with the dragon in the last 1/2 hour, but there is no question it is a better film than the first installment of the series.I saw the movie in IMAX and 3D. Visually, the movie is stunning with terrific special effects. There is a lot of action in the film, and it is one of the loudest movies I have ever attended. Most of the action sequences went on a little too long for me, especially with the dragon in the last 1/2 hour, but there is no question it is a better film than the first installment of the series. The battle scenes are all preposterous, of course. You must go into the film knowing the Dwarfs will face epic battles against great odds but no good guys will die. I also had an issue understanding about 20% of the dialogue with all the noise and synthesized voices, a problem very common in today's special effects extravaganzas. Expand
  61. Feb 14, 2014
    Desolation of Smaug, unlike the first feature contains more interesting scenes and dialogue that make the film somewhat better than the first film in the Hobbit series.
  62. Feb 13, 2014
    Peter Jackson does it again ...
    This movie took ahold of me and took me on a Journey from begining till the end !!
    Peter Jackson does it again ...

This movie i saw in Real 3D it was one of the best on par with Lord of the Rings:Two Towers on more ways than one aka the abrupt ending which i knew Peter Jackson would do as seeing this was the first sequal in the trilogy and he has a knack for leaving us in suspense !!! Must watch & Must own for any J.R.R Tolkien fan !!!!!
  63. Feb 12, 2014
    "The desolation of smaug" is blockbuster action movie with superbe and stunning quality images, much better than an unexpected journey. but I seemed a long boring movie.
  64. Feb 11, 2014
    Hobbit 2 is about a mission where dwarves want to take the mountain and the gold back, because in the past the dragon took it from them.

The battles are very cool and there is lots of action in te entire movie.
  65. Feb 11, 2014
    Surprisingly even worst than the first film. Laughable acting, Terrible CGI, and the whole reveal of Smaug was quite the disappointment. All the hype around the series and it turns out to be a piece of crap.
  66. Feb 9, 2014
    Great Movie so Far.Better then the first one.Better the fellowship and two towers .Great art Direction Lovely landscapes.Fast Paced heart pounding, mind blowing, barrel riding action. The world is living and breathing I feel like playing a Middle Earth rpg Game specially lake town segment is best. and who can forget about the CGI???If you wanna see a real dragon then watch this movie.Great Movie so Far.Better then the first one.Better the fellowship and two towers .Great art Direction Lovely landscapes.Fast Paced heart pounding, mind blowing, barrel riding action. The world is living and breathing I feel like playing a Middle Earth rpg Game specially lake town segment is best. and who can forget about the CGI???If you wanna see a real dragon then watch this movie.
    Overall Superb Movie.
  67. Feb 8, 2014
    An improvement from last time, this is a Middle Earth movie no fan should skip! Better story, action and a crazy cliffhanger. The addition of the new characters that were not in the book is also a welcome addition.
  68. Feb 8, 2014
    The second part of one The Hobbit book.
    As a amateur of J.R.R. Tolkien I have read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Ring little bit more than once. That mean, that I little bit know what had happened in real book.
    The second part of one The Hobbit book.
    Trilogy of The Lord of the Ring I understand, that is logical, but 3 parts of The Hobbit is abundant, yep crisis in Hollywood is and anyone can understand that, but that is so vulgar try to make money from nothing.
    I'm okay when movie and book have differences and in movie add some new aspects, that is normal that is understandable till new things are logical.
    Movie is incised and include a lot of sharp jumps to the new sciences.
    I really enjoyed the first part of The Hobbit
    The second one, I would not recommend to my friend to see. Nothing interesting.
    ordinary Score...
  69. Feb 6, 2014
    I honestly don't know why we need 3 movies per book.

The Hobbit (book) is a great story and doesn't need to be messed with.

That said, this was a pretty good movie in spite of that.
  70. Feb 6, 2014
    The fabled gold that surrounds The Hobbit is quite applicable as we can see this film struggling with its pacing which stems from no other source than the search of loot, and by loot I mean the money in the general populace's pockets. The Hobbit is at best two movies and the first of this series helped prove this to a great droning yawn. The acting has become tired and listless save forThe fabled gold that surrounds The Hobbit is quite applicable as we can see this film struggling with its pacing which stems from no other source than the search of loot, and by loot I mean the money in the general populace's pockets. The Hobbit is at best two movies and the first of this series helped prove this to a great droning yawn. The acting has become tired and listless save for Smaug and Bilbo the rest of the cast is there for the same reasons as the financiers.
    The Poe Scale:
    Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 1.5/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 2/2
    Writing: 1/2
  71. Feb 5, 2014
    Felt like I had to add a review firstly because this is a very good film and also to counter the childish fools who gave this film a below 7, honestly people should grow up and enjoy the film for what it is and yes of course it's not as good as lotr but it still a very good watch, enjoy
  72. Feb 5, 2014
    It was great getting back into the world of the ring.
    But, this time I wasn't so much thrilled as I expected.
    Truthfully, I wanted a better Bilbo - Dragon confrontation, that meeting should have been as wonderful and arty as the Gollum-Bilbo meeting. Oh well. Didn't mind the additions, they had a nice touch, especially the female elf (although the romance angle should just be gone in
    It was great getting back into the world of the ring.
    But, this time I wasn't so much thrilled as I expected.
    Didn't mind the additions, they had a nice touch, especially the female elf (although the romance angle should just be gone in the third part :P )
  73. Feb 3, 2014
    惊险刺激的中土之旅,抛去前作的种种铺垫,哈比人2的节奏更加流畅,唯一的不足,长湖镇的戏略显沉闷,当然抵达孤山之后, 和史矛革的对峙相当精彩。视觉效果出类拔萃,蜘蛛/龙的造型设计堪称完美,精灵族的造型超级美,同时场景设计美轮美奂,配乐不如首部曲但也高水准。不过彼得夹克逊对于原著的篡改实在是令人吃惊和不满。惊险刺激的中土之旅,抛去前作的种种铺垫,哈比人2的节奏更加流畅,唯一的不足,长湖镇的戏略显沉闷,当然抵达孤山之后, 和史矛革的对峙相当精彩。视觉效果出类拔萃,蜘蛛/龙的造型设计堪称完美,精灵族的造型超级美,同时场景设计美轮美奂,配乐不如首部曲但也高水准。不过彼得夹克逊对于原著的篡改实在是令人吃惊和不满。
  74. Feb 1, 2014
    A must see! I think ALL of the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies are incredible! I can't wait for the final Hobbit next Christmas.. but then I will be sad that they are over,
  75. Feb 1, 2014
    This was less a chapter of the Hobbit and more a prelude to the Lord of the Rings. Dividing The Hobbit into three parts seems more a financial move than a creative one; much of this episode is neither found in the novel or the Silmarillion, but fabricated. Further, it's a far departure from the spirit of the original work. Where the first chapter of the Hobbit was at least partlyThis was less a chapter of the Hobbit and more a prelude to the Lord of the Rings. Dividing The Hobbit into three parts seems more a financial move than a creative one; much of this episode is neither found in the novel or the Silmarillion, but fabricated. Further, it's a far departure from the spirit of the original work. Where the first chapter of the Hobbit was at least partly light-hearted as the book was, this movie was filled with foreshadowing for the impending LOTR movies (which is unnecessary and again misses the point of the original work). Further, the acting and action scenes were occasionally so over the top that they come off as unintentionally comical. This isn't a new telling of a timeless children's story but a clunky, clumsy, B-rate action movie. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the Michael Bay version of high fantasy. Expand
  76. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Major praise to the performances of the cast, especially scenes involving Martin Freeman and/or Benedict Cumberbatch, the CGI, and the overall improvement from the previous film. However, the love triangle between Evangeline Lilly's character, one of the dwarfs, and Legolas, and the films use of previous locations and characters from the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy does decrease its likability. Expand
  77. Jan 28, 2014
    What George Lucas did to Star Wars pales into insignificance compared to what Peter Jackson has done to Middle Earth. There is so much ethereal mulch and noticeable CGI crammed into the visuals that it is almost impossible to be carried along on the journey because you can't believe they are on a journey, and it's certainly very difficult to make out uniquely discernible locations. CrammedWhat George Lucas did to Star Wars pales into insignificance compared to what Peter Jackson has done to Middle Earth. There is so much ethereal mulch and noticeable CGI crammed into the visuals that it is almost impossible to be carried along on the journey because you can't believe they are on a journey, and it's certainly very difficult to make out uniquely discernible locations. Crammed full of not only tired movie cliches, but badly and needlessly re-used ideas from the LOTR films.
    The script is awful and plodding and without any joy or bite, and the constant use of panoramic, sweeping camera shots was in the end both annoying and alienating.
    It is a poor imitation of the LOTR films and a poor film in it's own right - ridiculously strung out for no apparent or rewarding reason.

Lastly - what these films have done to the story from the book is, for my money, nothing less than hateful. The Hobbit is a magical tale which has been decapitated and gutted until a thin, barely recognisable husk has remained. This second installment is worse than the first, which in itself should be a punishable crime.
  78. Jan 27, 2014
    Like the first movie, the desolation of smaug still suffers the consequence of making 3 movies for a 300 pages book. The result is almost nothing really important to the story happening throughout the entire movie
  79. Jan 27, 2014
    "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" directed by Peter Jackson was a interpretation of the book written by J.R.R. Tolkien under the name "The Hobbit". The movie has impressive CGI, acting talents and provides an atmosphere like no other. However, the movie's story differs from its origin and because of this, creates potholes. The movie doesn't solve all problems that are faced within the"The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" directed by Peter Jackson was a interpretation of the book written by J.R.R. Tolkien under the name "The Hobbit". The movie has impressive CGI, acting talents and provides an atmosphere like no other. However, the movie's story differs from its origin and because of this, creates potholes. The movie doesn't solve all problems that are faced within the story, therefore, forcing the viewer to come back for a third instalment.

As expected the plot differs, introducing characters and scenarios not seen from its origins and has tweaks in the story. However, one may state that these changes are bad as they detach from the original story, making fans of the book and previous movies disappointed. However, it still does stick to its bases, still introducing locations and plot points from the book.

The visuals are amazing, providing the audience with the atmosphere that it needs and therefore, making the characters believable. The use of CGI can emote what emotion that is being portrayed, however, there are some instances that seem dodgy, or poorly animated such as Smaug's scene.

The movie is a disappointment to its origin and its previous movies, however as an individual movie, provides entertainment and an atmosphere like no other. However, because of its little ties to J.R.R. Tolkien's book "The Hobbit", it will disappoint to fans who are expecting a true movie interpretation of the fantastic book.
  80. Jan 26, 2014
    I seem to be in the minority, but I preferred the first Hobbit movie to this installment. Outside of Smaug and the barrel chase scene, nothing of significance remains, and the rest of the movie has almost been purged from my memory though I just saw it. The greatest failure of this movie is its unconvincing nature. Even Legolas gives a weak performance. Mostly it didn't feel like TolkienI seem to be in the minority, but I preferred the first Hobbit movie to this installment. Outside of Smaug and the barrel chase scene, nothing of significance remains, and the rest of the movie has almost been purged from my memory though I just saw it. The greatest failure of this movie is its unconvincing nature. Even Legolas gives a weak performance. Mostly it didn't feel like Tolkien at all, the magic and wonder of the Lord of the Rings movie....and briefly throughout the first Hobbit...is nearly entirely missing. It is not a bad movie, just a very average one. Expand
  81. Jan 25, 2014
    Not a bad movie, not a great one. Desolation of Smaug is in between which is exactly what's wrong with it. This is a sequel, it has no real beginning nor end. It just kind of starts, runs for a few of hours and then fades to black. Those few hours are enjoyable, even if they are plagued by some of Jackson's eccentricities, mainly the extremely long and over stylized fight sequences.Not a bad movie, not a great one. Desolation of Smaug is in between which is exactly what's wrong with it. This is a sequel, it has no real beginning nor end. It just kind of starts, runs for a few of hours and then fades to black. Those few hours are enjoyable, even if they are plagued by some of Jackson's eccentricities, mainly the extremely long and over stylized fight sequences. The dwarves are back and as goofily likeable as ever. Bilbo Baggins is... somewhere. For a movie called "The Hobbit" the only hobbit in the film has very little to say or do until the end where we finally get to meet the dragon we've heard so much about. And Smaug does not disappoint. These Tolkien films have a great way of making cgi characters stand out and Smaug is no different. Voiced by the excellent Benedict Cumberbatch, Smaug is by far the best and most memorable part of the movie. Smaug is terrifyingly captivating, more grandeur than I had ever imagined from the books. Just as we meet him and the movie starts to get good, it ends. I see myself liking this movie much more after the third one come's out but as of now, it just left me unfulfilled. Expand
  82. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie shows an incredible description of Tolkien`s fantasy universe, and once again we get thrown into Middle - Earth to experience great character developments and action sequences. The second chapter of a trilogy is often the most difficult to make, but Peter Jackson and his crew have taken the right decisions all the way and in my opinion The desolation of Smaug leaves theThis movie shows an incredible description of Tolkien`s fantasy universe, and once again we get thrown into Middle - Earth to experience great character developments and action sequences. The second chapter of a trilogy is often the most difficult to make, but Peter Jackson and his crew have taken the right decisions all the way and in my opinion The desolation of Smaug leaves the impression of being better than the first chapter of the trilogy, as the story takes a darker turn. Smaug himself enters the story as one of the most remarkable movie villains of all time, he`s a perfect example of evil and its greediness, in great contrast with little Bilbo who tries his best to survive through dark environments. Expand
  83. Jan 25, 2014
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug sequel The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Peter Jackson took great as always, a beautiful fantasy. The film proved to be a more sombre colors. We were shown the dark side of the heroes. Smaug turned simultaneously scary and sweet. In The Desolation Smaug was more action adventure.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug great Fantasy with soundtrack good

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug great Fantasy with soundtrack good and beautiful special effects.
  84. Jan 23, 2014
    Well i saw the first movie and it was pretty good, not great but i still liked it, when i went to watch the Desolation of Smaug, i loved it and its probably my favorite Middle-Earth based movie, go watch this movie it will blow your mind, Smaug is the most real CGI character ever to appear on the big screen.
  85. Jan 23, 2014
    Just imagine, one whole 3-hour Hobbit movie with the trolls, Rivendel, Gollum, the Spiders, the Woodland Elves, the Barrels, Laketown, Smaug, and the final battle. Could you imagine. JAckson has it. He captures Middle Earth and the beloved tale of THe Hobbit as I pictured it to be 8 years ago. But sequences are time-dragged where they don't need to be. Constant reminders of characterJust imagine, one whole 3-hour Hobbit movie with the trolls, Rivendel, Gollum, the Spiders, the Woodland Elves, the Barrels, Laketown, Smaug, and the final battle. Could you imagine. JAckson has it. He captures Middle Earth and the beloved tale of THe Hobbit as I pictured it to be 8 years ago. But sequences are time-dragged where they don't need to be. Constant reminders of character backgrounds is unnecessary. Where's Bilbo's backstory 'cause I could do a 15-page paper on Thorin. Remember all the backstory they gave LEgolas and Aragorn and Gimli in The Lord of the RIngs? Of course not, 'cause there didn't need to be. The mystery is the page-turner for viewers. Nevertheless, in this the pace crescendos, a wondrous love story draws in better character and a tearing score, and the intensity spine-tingles of SMAUG!! Holy mother of Middle Earth. Reminded me of the identical-looking horror dragon of my childhood dreams. There's annoyed-yawn moments, but it's a park blast worth another go and a perfect Christmas blockbuster to sit back and drink steamed milk to with the snow lightly covering the land. Now we gotta wait a whole year for part III after it's Breaking Bad-like finish. Expand
  86. Jan 23, 2014
    Nothing was overly dramatized, the scenery was amazing, and the music was beautiful. Great acting, epic fight scenes, and they've added new depths to the characters.
  87. Jan 22, 2014
    Amazing 48FPS technology. Great visuals. The rest is very poorly executed and the plot could be summarized in one sentence: they are travelling to get to the dragon whom they eventually meet and then the movie ends.

3/10 (max what I can give) for 48fps 3d that doesn't hurt your eyes.
  88. Jan 21, 2014
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is certainly an improvement over An Unexpected Journey; it is well-paced and much more entertaining. This follow-up is highly enjoyable and a must-see in 3D with support of its gorgeous and utterly beautiful visuals. The highlight of the film is Smaug, who is played brilliantly and menacingly by the fantastic Benedict Cumberbatch. The film is certainlyThe Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is certainly an improvement over An Unexpected Journey; it is well-paced and much more entertaining. This follow-up is highly enjoyable and a must-see in 3D with support of its gorgeous and utterly beautiful visuals. The highlight of the film is Smaug, who is played brilliantly and menacingly by the fantastic Benedict Cumberbatch. The film is certainly flawed and it does pale in comparison to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but otherwise it is a fantastic adventure film that brilliantly and excitingly leads up to the next instalment, There and Back Again. Expand
  89. Jan 21, 2014
    Better than the first part of the Hobbit trilogy. More intense and action-packed. You finally get to see and hear Smaug. Great visuals and locations, a hallmark of all LotR films, once again transport you to the beautiful and dangerous land of Middle Earth. As a film, this was highly entertaining with enough humor, action, and intrigue to go around. However, it does stray from the book asBetter than the first part of the Hobbit trilogy. More intense and action-packed. You finally get to see and hear Smaug. Great visuals and locations, a hallmark of all LotR films, once again transport you to the beautiful and dangerous land of Middle Earth. As a film, this was highly entertaining with enough humor, action, and intrigue to go around. However, it does stray from the book as the writers changed, removed, or shortened certain sections. That being said, I still enjoyed this second installment of The Hobbit and would recommend it to anyone who loved the original LotR trilogy. Expand
  90. Jan 20, 2014
    The best Tolkien "Fan-fiction" to ever hit the big screen. Unlike most critics, I ADORED the first Hobbit film, because it captured the playfulness, and awe of the original work beautifully. This second film downplays all the tones and it's main characters for the sake of adding completely non-canon content that was in the story like Azog the Goblin and Legolas. The saving grace for me wasThe best Tolkien "Fan-fiction" to ever hit the big screen. Unlike most critics, I ADORED the first Hobbit film, because it captured the playfulness, and awe of the original work beautifully. This second film downplays all the tones and it's main characters for the sake of adding completely non-canon content that was in the story like Azog the Goblin and Legolas. The saving grace for me was the fact that it brought more action, and Smaug. Bennedict Cumberbatch as Smaug was brilliant, and terrifying. Expand
  91. Jan 20, 2014
    The Hobbit may be lighter and sillier than The Lord of the Rings, but that's how it's supposed to be. J.R.R Tolkien wrote The Hobbit as a children's book. So it's not quite comparable to The Lord of the Rings.

It's supposed to entertain rather than to tell a deep story, and that's exactly what Peter Jackson is doing. Now, I do understand why some people might be disappointed by this movie, and to be fair, a part of me kept expecting something as magnificent as LOTR. Sadly, it hasn't reached that point. At least not yet. Who knows, maybe the third installment will blow us all away.
  92. Jan 18, 2014
    Maybe Peter Jacksons money, and quest for the oversized adventure has got to his head. Nonetheless, I loved this film. It's such a major improvement over An Unexpected Journey, I don't even want to talk about that peice of crap. I feel more like this should be similar to that of the trilogy and thats what makes it amazing. If Peter would've done this with An Unexpected Journey theyMaybe Peter Jacksons money, and quest for the oversized adventure has got to his head. Nonetheless, I loved this film. It's such a major improvement over An Unexpected Journey, I don't even want to talk about that peice of crap. I feel more like this should be similar to that of the trilogy and thats what makes it amazing. If Peter would've done this with An Unexpected Journey they would've made alot more money on this film. overall major improvement, 8/10 Great. Expand
  93. Jan 17, 2014
    Peter Jackson seems to have sparked into life with this second installment of The Hobbit series as this is a vast improvement on the first film. Gone are the laboured, talky scenes of Hobbit domesticity and much of the lame humour has also been excised. We now have a movie with plenty of action and adventure and one that stands tall and bears comparison to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy.Peter Jackson seems to have sparked into life with this second installment of The Hobbit series as this is a vast improvement on the first film. Gone are the laboured, talky scenes of Hobbit domesticity and much of the lame humour has also been excised. We now have a movie with plenty of action and adventure and one that stands tall and bears comparison to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. All the series' constants are present including impressive make-up and special visual effects, as well as beautiful Art-Direction and great sound. The film sports boundless energy and some amazing set pieces involving spiders, dragons and Hobbits in barrels. Editing is also much sharper this time out and the wonderful swooping camera shots are very much part of the film's overall style. Aside from an awful supporting performance from Stephen Fry as 'The Master of Lake Town', 'The Desolation of Smaug' really does deliver. The cliff hanger ending sets up the third picture nicely, although I would Quite happily have continued watching this one for another couple of hours, that's how good it is! Expand
  94. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Holy Sh*t was this movie awesome, I mean Smaug was so cool, and it was less boring than the first, and It leaves wanting for more thanks to the Cliffhanger ending, but it does have it's flaws, like straying too far from the book, the pacing it's still a little off, but ironically, I actually enjoyed the part I thought I would hate, the character of Tauriel, who was actually Bad ass, but her romance with one of the dwarfs still felt forced, and awkward, but overall though this movie was great, but not as good as The Lord of the Rings, but still pretty good on it's on right. Expand
  95. Jan 16, 2014
    A really enjoyable movie that has it all: action, adventure, humor,drama and even a small romance. The fact that Peter Jackson did not stay completely true to Tolkien's book, is a very brave and admirable thing. Obviously, it's worse than The Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. The visual effects are top notch, especially the dragon Smaug which was incrediblyA really enjoyable movie that has it all: action, adventure, humor,drama and even a small romance. The fact that Peter Jackson did not stay completely true to Tolkien's book, is a very brave and admirable thing. Obviously, it's worse than The Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. The visual effects are top notch, especially the dragon Smaug which was incredibly detailed.

Although the movie takes us to many new and beautiful designed locations, you really cannot feel like you really care about them. The hobbit 'gang' are thrown from one place to another, each with one different character to another, and only when they get to the mountain you feel excited.

Still, 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' is a very good movie. Sure it's not better that 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
  96. Jan 16, 2014
    Blatantly visual-oriented, tries to be funny but isn't, tries to be spectacular but only seldom is, not consistent with the book, acting is horrid, the epic i-am-the-hero discourses are just over the top and what's wrong with Orlando Bloom's eyes?

On the other hand, special fx are stunning, especially the scenes with Smaug (which by the way last very little) and the voice of Smaug himself is transcendental. I'm personally biased towards films like this, for I don't usually like fantasy, but this one is not so bad after all.
  97. Jan 15, 2014
    The Desolation of Smaug is a little less boring than the previous instalment, but it’s really no better in terms of craft and narrative. There is one inspired action sequence in which the dwarves and Bilbo escape from the elves in barrels. This sequence recalls Jackson’s King Kong set pieces where he just builds ideas on top of ideas into an extended adventure. And that’s it. Then it’s allThe Desolation of Smaug is a little less boring than the previous instalment, but it’s really no better in terms of craft and narrative. There is one inspired action sequence in which the dwarves and Bilbo escape from the elves in barrels. This sequence recalls Jackson’s King Kong set pieces where he just builds ideas on top of ideas into an extended adventure. And that’s it. Then it’s all back to normal.

Whilst the Lord of the Rings were Oscar-winning technical marvels, the biggest issue I have with this and Journey is that the story is so mundane that we’re left looking for a visual “wow” factor, and it’s not there. The barrel sequence was so clever, I didn’t care how the effects looked. The generic archery and dragon hunting wasn’t creatively captivating, and it certainly wasn’t visually so.

Overall it's entertaining and it's quite obvious the source material is so short that the crew had no choice but to embellish on the story. And add plenty of visual effects as filler to prolong this story across three films.

If you seek an absolutely 100% accurate book to film translation you will be unhappy. But if you want to be entertained and can overlook this you'll have a nice time.
  98. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minor spoilers. It's a solid movie but is also the weakest of Jackson's Tolkien adaptations. There were some very good scenes, such as the escape scene and the Beorn sequence. However, there were some very weak scenes involving Tauriel. The character just didn't work. I've been fine with most of Jackson's deviations in the other movies. However, the addition of Tauriel and the big changes in Smaug's scenes bothered me quite a bit. I still found the movie to be enjoyable, but it's far from Jackson's best work. Expand
  99. Jan 11, 2014
    The dwarf quest for their home went stale one hour into episode 1. Now it' s become torture. Good actors gone to waste, an endless conversation with a too loquacious Dragon, and too little of the gorgeous elf elf lady who kicks butt.
  100. Jan 11, 2014
    Bilbo ends The Unexpected Journey by saying “I do believe the worst is behind us.” Cinematically speaking he couldn’t be more wrong! He ends The Desolation of Smaug with a despairing “What have we done?” I’m wondering the same!

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a tedious failure when compared to the purity of its source. Peter Jackson has been infected with some incurable malady that needs exercising. I have little hope for the final installment of the “trilogy,” and I can only hope, once again, that some fan with brilliant video editing skills will get to work on these movies when they are all available on Bluray and give us what we all really want . . . The Hobbit.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Dec 13, 2013
    Most middle movies in a trilogy simply mark time. Not this one.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Visually stunning.
  3. Reviewed by: Sheila O'Malley
    Dec 13, 2013
    The thematic elements are in place, the emotional tension is highly strung, and the action unfolds in a wave like the fire erupting from the dragon's mouth, overtaking all in its path.