4.8

1. Apr 3, 2013
    I really wanted to like this movie. Some of the effects are absolutely captivating, but the terrible acting and downright silliness of the plot take away from any of the positives. The original score is one of the better to come out of a sci-fi movie in recent memory, but the cliches (chrome plated everything, for example) destroy what could have been a decent film. Skip it, but get the music.
  2. Mar 29, 2013
    Well, the ad industry certainly takes a nosedive after alien occupation, but Detroit will rejoice because chrome sports cars, it seems, are a universal desire. The Host is "Twilight for Aliens," complete with all those teenage moments of "what would be really cool to include in a sci-fi movie" that Stephanie is known for. I just wish that the aliens weren't quite so boring, that theWell, the ad industry certainly takes a nosedive after alien occupation, but Detroit will rejoice because chrome sports cars, it seems, are a universal desire. The Host is "Twilight for Aliens," complete with all those teenage moments of "what would be really cool to include in a sci-fi movie" that Stephanie is known for. I just wish that the aliens weren't quite so boring, that the pace of the story was closer to jogging than strolling, and while I was expecting a lot of footage shot in caves, the caves looked strangely like props from the original Star Trek. Very roomy. I didn't hate the movie... just kind of hate myself for going to see it. But I always felt that way at Twilight films ...At least it finally explains those voices in my head. Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    Stephanie Meyer is derided and praised in equal measure so with her movie follow up to the twilight saga, The Host, she had something to prove. She had to prove that her patented romance formula could translate from the supernatural to the science fiction genre. Unfortunately for The Host hardly anyone wanted to find out despite the fact in most ways, The Host is better than any of theStephanie Meyer is derided and praised in equal measure so with her movie follow up to the twilight saga, The Host, she had something to prove. She had to prove that her patented romance formula could translate from the supernatural to the science fiction genre. Unfortunately for The Host hardly anyone wanted to find out despite the fact in most ways, The Host is better than any of the Twilight films if only for one reason, there is a sense of meaning to what happens in this world where as with Twilight, someone couldn't pay me to care. The Host tells the tale of Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan) one of the few surviving humans on Earth. When she is captured she is implanted with an alien life and becomes a prisoner in her own body. The alien, known as Wanderer begins to experience human emotions and Melanie's memories and she struggles to live normally and is forced to seek out those Melanie has left behind. The film is odd because its deeply planted in the Sci-Fi genre but it feels like a deep character piece with a typically western feel. It's a cross genre story that carefully balances each genre while never forgetting the rules of this new world the characters live in. The film doesn't really concentrate on action and feels more comfortable in the small personal moments. Sure the film has its action sequences but they are always coupled with an emotional character moment as though juxtaposing the two. This does make the action rather drawn out and lackluster but like I said, this film really isn't about the action. The music (by Antonio Pinto) is unique and an odd amalgam of conventional western tones and electronic western notes. It provides an interesting context to the world that has been built, the solitary nature of this new human life but also the presence of the futuristic and the good and bad that comes from this intrusion. It has an Eric Serra (The Fifth Element) feel to it and because of it, the music proves well suited to moments of emotion but also sudden action. The film is grounded in a sense of reality, be it a slightly 12A reality where all anyone ever talks about is kissing (It's a film aimed at the young and idealistic after all) and the film relies heavily on Ronan to keep the film flowing and from becoming overly complicated. She delivers in both roles (despite Melanie being mostly voice-over) making them both sympathetic protagonists despite the twisted nature of their joint habitation. It's a film about morality (like many westerns are) more than anything and the idea that no one is perfect is rampant in the film. The film has the tendency to break its own established rules to serve the story so there are a fair few plot holes making segments of the film unbelievable (beyond the whole aliens from another planet thing). It depicts a world and a girl at war with itself and it does so in a subtle way by concentrating on the small moments, the ones that depict the voice and ideals of the people and why they fight to begin with. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    The Host just didn't feel like the Twilight movies, it was completely different! It's an odd romance movie with no potential, no target, nothing but the film is fun and it has ALIENS! And I am not a Twilight fan but this film was actually a good time! It had everything, magic, kisses, aliens and Pathetic Romeos. The film was slow but we gave it time and its still slow. The pace dropsThe Host just didn't feel like the Twilight movies, it was completely different! It's an odd romance movie with no potential, no target, nothing but the film is fun and it has ALIENS! And I am not a Twilight fan but this film was actually a good time! It had everything, magic, kisses, aliens and Pathetic Romeos. The film was slow but we gave it time and its still slow. The pace drops towards the end and its lore doesn't amuse you. It's not a great movie but its good for a Sunday night after work. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    I was feeling a bit dragged about The Host. I thought the trailer was better than the movie itself. I agree with the critics. This is not the Stephanie Meyer movie I know about. But now since the "Twilight" series finished, maybe I'll give it a shot on The Host. It may be a disappointment just like Beautiful Creatures, but I'll rent it. Maybe I'll just read the novel instead.
  6. Apr 14, 2013
    A silly "teen beat" approach to typical sci-fi invader tropes, this overly done and half baked psuedo love story provides more laughs than gasps. exhibit a) the chemistry between these kids is non existent, making for some unintentionally hilarious scenes. not the fault of our young cast, who struggles with utterly ridiculous dialogue though with promising conviction. exhibit b) theA silly "teen beat" approach to typical sci-fi invader tropes, this overly done and half baked psuedo love story provides more laughs than gasps. exhibit a) the chemistry between these kids is non existent, making for some unintentionally hilarious scenes. not the fault of our young cast, who struggles with utterly ridiculous dialogue though with promising conviction. exhibit b) the narrative get's lost into an ostentatious dive by the whim of over dramatic "love cues" or quite simply, poor writing. let's face it, Stephanie Meyer doesn't really know what she's doing. an unlearned writer who got lucky with 'The Twilight Series' by tapping into the narrative routine that was more like a "teen idol poster" to a novel, Meyer was able to exploit what teenage girls "really want"; having been undermined with sexist literary schemes that harken back to the "damsels in distress" or "suzie homemakers in white aprons", with a twist. what's her modus operandi? a subversive heroin who balks and crumbles at the feet of a prototypical blue-eyes, who reminds them what it's like to be a woman. you couldn't write dialogue anymore jarring to 50 years of women's lib if you tried. exhibit c) there must have been a better way to engage the audience with the pivotal "two voices in my head" scene. a scene wherein both the writer and director attempt to circumvent the drama with a true, honest to god commentary on the anagonist's jungian state, which would translate into this sort of thematic reveal and open up the plot and central theme of the movie. unfortunately, it's far more sillier on screen than it was on paper. in fact, who even writes this stuff? oh, yeah.....exhibit b.

cold special effects that add to the atmosphere but operate as nothing more than breaks of eye-candy, this story will expose Meyer for what she really is. a fake. *2 out of 5 stars*
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    The movie is not a Sci-Fi movie, it’s a love story with some science fiction elements. The plot is dull, the acting is regular and the visual effects are fine. I believe it is a hard book to adapt (cause half of the story takes place on the head of the main character) and they did what they could in 2 hours, but I felt it all in a weird dull-rush, some of the things didn’t make sense. TheThe movie is not a Sci-Fi movie, it’s a love story with some science fiction elements. The plot is dull, the acting is regular and the visual effects are fine. I believe it is a hard book to adapt (cause half of the story takes place on the head of the main character) and they did what they could in 2 hours, but I felt it all in a weird dull-rush, some of the things didn’t make sense. The idea is good but the movie didn’t quite capture it. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. Expand
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    I love sci/fi But if a gun was held to her children's heads Stephany Meyer would still be unable to write a strong, mentally stable female character..
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    ‘The Host’ starts promisingly as the heroine finds herself in a terrible situation and the stakes are very high. There are also some nice images and Saoirse Ronan is fine, as usually. However the movie slowly degenerates into a metamodern mess: souls, bodies, aliens, humans, personalities and memories are mixed together, different concepts are confused and the story becomes meaningless.‘The Host’ starts promisingly as the heroine finds herself in a terrible situation and the stakes are very high. There are also some nice images and Saoirse Ronan is fine, as usually. However the movie slowly degenerates into a metamodern mess: souls, bodies, aliens, humans, personalities and memories are mixed together, different concepts are confused and the story becomes meaningless. Furthermore, the pacing suffers during the second half and there is almost no action.
    argonautis.eu

1. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Apr 7, 2013
    Steven Spielberg famously retained his childhood sense of wonder. On this evidence, Meyer has maintained a nine-year-old's notion of titillating romance.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Apr 3, 2013
    This film adaptation feels like YA, with cat’s-cradle love matches, soft-focus sexuality, and a main character who never satisfactorily makes the transition from page to screen.
  3. Reviewed by: Owen Gleiberman
    Mar 29, 2013
    It's really a dramatic sinkhole.