4.7

1. Nov 21, 2014
    Horrible movie to watch. Alien parasite like creatures taking over human bodies to accomplish, well, something. I don't really know, I was bored most of the time watching it. Acting was bad, story was bad, characters were boring. Waste of time.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Host" 10 Scale Rating: 1.0 (Historically Bad) ...

The Good: The idea, which was similar to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", was a decent one.

The Bad: Just about everything. Poorly written and poorly acted. I've seen better special effects on Syfy. That isn't a knock on the Syfy channel, but this is a Hollywood movie and the bar is set higher. The lead character has a lot of
    internal discussions since she has an alien host inside of her and the back and forth was poorly done and unconvincing. Incredibly boring and slow with characters I couldn't care less about. Worst film of 2013 ... so far. Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2014
    Multiple one word sentences can sum up this mess easily: Boring! Slow! Lame! Dumb! etc. The film was dull, unexciting, and had boring acting and a lame cast. It had one interesting action chase scene, the rest was a boring love triangle. The trailer might be interesting, but the actual movie is just a complete waste of time.
  4. Jan 6, 2014
    You can't make me see this film even if you paid me. The effects were painful to the eyes, the story was a rip off of other Sci-Fi films, and acting was so bad it made who could have been good characters look bad. With hope, Stephanie Meyers will never get involved in movies again.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    ‘The Host’ starts promisingly as the heroine finds herself in a terrible situation and the stakes are very high. There are also some nice images and Saoirse Ronan is fine, as usually. However the movie slowly degenerates into a metamodern mess: souls, bodies, aliens, humans, personalities and memories are mixed together, different concepts are confused and the story becomes meaningless. Furthermore, the pacing suffers during the second half and there is almost no action.
    argonautis.eu
  6. Nov 16, 2013
    I love sci/fi But if a gun was held to her children's heads Stephany Meyer would still be unable to write a strong, mentally stable female character..
  7. Aug 5, 2013
    Action? Nope. Shooting a gun sporadically don't makes an action film.
    Sci-fi? Nope. Aliens on background with white suits and bright worms don't make sci-fi movie when main theme is teen love the whole time.
    Adventure? Nope. Where? Because they use ancient caves as home? Where is the adventure?
    Thriller? Nope. There are no doubt about how this will gonna end.
    Romance? Until you sick.

Another Twilight, "Dolce&Gabbana Alien" edition.
  8. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ending was laughable due to poor lighting effects. Every other scene was beautiful. Hollywood severely rewrote events. Unlike Harry Potter, what was cut or changed seriously effected the book ideology. A person was killed with a gun, which shocked the heck out of me just because (spoiler?) no gun was fired in the book. This movie showed that only books can be entertaining w/o firearm usage. I'm sure someone else will remark on the voice-over for Melanie's internal dialogue. But that's basically another reason to read the book. At least I can better picture the setting. I thought the movie was beautiful, with tacky story-telling. Expand
  9. Jul 29, 2013
    Stephenie Meyer is a one trick pony who apparently only has one story in her which she now is trying to milk in every which way possible. Melanie (Ronan) gets taken over by a soul-alien and wadda ya know: she loves one guy and the soul loves another guy...sounds familiar (Bella loves Vampire/Werewolf)? Although this film is not as bad as Twillight, it sure is long, boring and slow. 125 mins and almost nothing happens. We also get the same old tiring messages of hope and peacefull coexistence and yada yada yada. By the end you'll be fighting to stay awake. Fell asleep twice. This is only scifi in concept, there is no science to be seen anywhere in the film and how are those glowy small soul aliens who live in little metal containers ever going to conquer the universe without opposable thumbs? How did they make the containers? How are they even going to get out of them (no thumbs remember)? What are they doing in there (sleeping, thinking about nothing, being bored out of their minds)? The story is very simplistic and superficial and clearly Meyer has no idea what scifi is all about. She probably thought it was a nice backdrop for yet another slimy teen love story. One last thing: I'm pretty sure they put a gun to Andrew Niccol's head and forced him to make this crap. I don't even want to consider why the man who gave us 'Lord of War' and 'Gattaca' -two of the best films of all time- would willingly accept to make this vommit. So yes, I didn't like it, go see it if you want. You'll never get those 125 mins of your life back! Expand
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Host is a science fiction film of 2013 directed by Andrew Niccol, based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer with Saoirse Ronan, William Hurt and Diane Kruger.
    In a not too distant future our planet has been invaded by an alien race called "Souls" that to live must take the body of another living being. Most of the people were "owned" by the "Soul" but a small part resists including Melanie (Saoirse Ronan), a girl who was captured and in which the cover you have entered a '"Soul" to find out where are the last survivors. But the girl is strong and the '"Soul" called Wanderer, is slowly infected by his human emotions. Having escaped from the clutches of those who held them captive, Melanie, along with the Wayfarer will start a journey to return home and to embrace the people he loves the most.
    The film is a real failure. Fails to bring the viewer into the story and even to appreciate certain characters. Besides, the film proves tedious and has not found any original (even though he had an idea based not bad). Some scenes unwittingly create laughter especially in those romantic. A film that leaves nothing to the viewer. The direction is discreet while Saoirse Ronan has proved an excellent actress.
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    Unadulterated unmitigated Disengaging, unintentionally hilarious, wooden acting, little or no story, the level of suspension of disbelief is staggeringly arrogant.

under no circumstances watch this crap
  12. Jun 4, 2013
    "What was actually an intriguing premise and somewhat clever story-line, gets butchered admist on the path for destruction. The Host, fails in conjuring any sense of emotion and depth and instead makes you wanna take an aspirin because your head hurts." F
  13. May 19, 2013
    I have no idea why I thought this would be better than the twilight movies... It might actually be worse. There's nothing wrong with the premise, but the pure fact that the main character has a constant voiceover running is not only distracting but horribly cliché. The story construction, character development, and dialogue are all just terribly written. I cannot understand why Stephanie Meyer is so popular. Expand
  14. May 12, 2013
    Very generic and dull and tedious beyond belief. Shallow pap, with a music score as awful. Which is a shame because the cast is quite good, like Adam from Supernatural. But what did you expect from a Stephanie Meyer film?
  15. Apr 28, 2013
    The biggest sin of this film is that it is so dull, it is completely forgettable. I saw the movie a while ago but I can't remember a single thing about it. Acting is subpar, the story is sloppy, action is dull, interesting sci-fi concepts are barely explored and the hackney love story is generic and boring. There is nothing about this movie that I hate, but there is also nothing I like. It is just lazy garbage made to cash off of the success of Stephanie Myers far more popular and unintentionally funny Twilight franchise. I would recommend this movie if you enjoy watching paint dry. Expand
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    Few movies, have been so painful to watch, especially in a big budget film. I kept telling myself i would judge this movie on it's own merrit, and never compare it to twilight or let it drag it down, but as it turns out it didnt matter because shockingly enuf, THIS MOVIE WAS WORSE. I know, i am surprised to say that myself. How could a much hotter actress in a movie with aliens be worse? Well it is so poorly executed and the story is so predictible and boring and horribly sappy (bad sappy not good sappy). At many parts i laughed at how cheesy and ridiculous what just happened actually was. Stephanie Meyer has absolutely no concept of how the male mind works and very poor writing skills. The casting team also needs to learn that there are many different appearances to men, and not just the pretty boy surfer dude that BOTH main male leads were hard to disquinsh apart from. Made the main character look very (insert possiblly nonexistant socially accptable term for a girl who is too loose with the guys) because stephanie meyer tries way to hard to force the broken two men one girl mechanic into a story where only one guy is needed. In fact, this story would have been far better with only one male lead and could have further developed the bond between the two charcters. Meyer needs to learn this important detail, two guys fighting over one girl concept is not new and is perfectly fine, but the two "hot" guys fighting over one average girl and deciding to be friends and sharing in some twisted threesome relationship concept is ridiculous and unrealistic, at least in the manner she keeps trying to display. Expand
  17. Apr 14, 2013
    A silly "teen beat" approach to typical sci-fi invader tropes, this overly done and half baked psuedo love story provides more laughs than gasps. exhibit a) the chemistry between these kids is non existent, making for some unintentionally hilarious scenes. not the fault of our young cast, who struggles with utterly ridiculous dialogue though with promising conviction. exhibit b) the narrative get's lost into an ostentatious dive by the whim of over dramatic "love cues" or quite simply, poor writing. let's face it, Stephanie Meyer doesn't really know what she's doing. an unlearned writer who got lucky with 'The Twilight Series' by tapping into the narrative routine that was more like a "teen idol poster" to a novel, Meyer was able to exploit what teenage girls "really want"; having been undermined with sexist literary schemes that harken back to the "damsels in distress" or "suzie homemakers in white aprons", with a twist. what's her modus operandi? a subversive heroin who balks and crumbles at the feet of a prototypical blue-eyes, who reminds them what it's like to be a woman. you couldn't write dialogue anymore jarring to 50 years of women's lib if you tried. exhibit c) there must have been a better way to engage the audience with the pivotal "two voices in my head" scene. a scene wherein both the writer and director attempt to circumvent the drama with a true, honest to god commentary on the anagonist's jungian state, which would translate into this sort of thematic reveal and open up the plot and central theme of the movie. unfortunately, it's far more sillier on screen than it was on paper. in fact, who even writes this stuff? oh, yeah.....exhibit b.

cold special effects that add to the atmosphere but operate as nothing more than breaks of eye-candy, this story will expose Meyer for what she really is. a fake. *2 out of 5 stars*
  18. Apr 12, 2013
    Buy a ticket for the eye roller express on this stinkeroo. It has been many moons since I have walked out of a movie but this one earned the distinction of seeing my heiny trotting on out the door.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the book is more engaging. This screen adaptation seems as though it were written by a 12 year old. I"m not sure whose idea it was that
    thought audiences would want to watch the equivalent of two 14 year old girls bicker for an hour and a half in the same head but they should be tazed. If they were shooting for age pertinent dialogue they found it. The upside is that it didn't make the remaining parts of the movie (that I saw) feel quite as contrived.
    Anyhoo, my recommendation is to skip this movie and wait 'til it comes out on vhs
  19. Apr 3, 2013
    I really wanted to like this movie. Some of the effects are absolutely captivating, but the terrible acting and downright silliness of the plot take away from any of the positives. The original score is one of the better to come out of a sci-fi movie in recent memory, but the cliches (chrome plated everything, for example) destroy what could have been a decent film. Skip it, but get the music.
  20. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this film was awful. I was constantly yawning and I even wished that I could be taken over by an alien being just to end the torment. I was constantly cringing at the dialogue and the acting. Expand
  21. Mar 31, 2013
    This is not scifi. It is yet another teen romance drama. There couldn't be worse dialogue if you tried. The story is insipid and corny. Revenge of the body snatchers crossed with twilight. I hope this doesn't get a sequel.
  22. Mar 30, 2013
    The acting was very good at parts and some of the scenes were well done. However, this might have been the worst script that I have ever seen. The script is so bad that it ruins any possibility for romance or science fiction. Waste of two hours.
  23. Mar 29, 2013
    Why waste our time with these love triangle, teenage girl romantic fantasies? Same material in different packages every year to fulfill the fantasies of young female audiences. Andrew Niccol writer of "The Truman Show" and director "Gattaca" can make better than that.
  24. Mar 29, 2013
    This movie is garbage. Yes, there is Sci-Fi, in it, and its thought-provocative, but it has such bad acting i can only give it a negative review here.
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    Well, the ad industry certainly takes a nosedive after alien occupation, but Detroit will rejoice because chrome sports cars, it seems, are a universal desire. The Host is "Twilight for Aliens," complete with all those teenage moments of "what would be really cool to include in a sci-fi movie" that Stephanie is known for. I just wish that the aliens weren't quite so boring, that the pace of the story was closer to jogging than strolling, and while I was expecting a lot of footage shot in caves, the caves looked strangely like props from the original Star Trek. Very roomy. I didn't hate the movie... just kind of hate myself for going to see it. But I always felt that way at Twilight films ...At least it finally explains those voices in my head. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Apr 7, 2013
    Steven Spielberg famously retained his childhood sense of wonder. On this evidence, Meyer has maintained a nine-year-old's notion of titillating romance.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Apr 3, 2013
    This film adaptation feels like YA, with cat’s-cradle love matches, soft-focus sexuality, and a main character who never satisfactorily makes the transition from page to screen.
  3. Reviewed by: Owen Gleiberman
    Mar 29, 2013
    It's really a dramatic sinkhole.