4.7

1. Nov 21, 2014
    Horrible movie to watch. Alien parasite like creatures taking over human bodies to accomplish, well, something. I don't really know, I was bored most of the time watching it. Acting was bad, story was bad, characters were boring. Waste of time.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Host" 10 Scale Rating: 1.0 (Historically Bad) ...

The Good: The idea, which was similar to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", was a decent one.

The Bad: Just about everything. Poorly written and poorly acted. I've seen better special effects on Syfy. That isn't a knock on the Syfy channel, but this is a Hollywood movie and the bar is set higher. The lead character has a lot of
    internal discussions since she has an alien host inside of her and the back and forth was poorly done and unconvincing. Incredibly boring and slow with characters I couldn't care less about. Worst film of 2013 ... so far. Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2014
    Multiple one word sentences can sum up this mess easily: Boring! Slow! Lame! Dumb! etc. The film was dull, unexciting, and had boring acting and a lame cast. It had one interesting action chase scene, the rest was a boring love triangle. The trailer might be interesting, but the actual movie is just a complete waste of time.
  4. Apr 21, 2014
    I loved it! I believe this movie was done incredibly well. The film adaption very closely followed the plot and actions of the book written by Stephenie Meyer. I would strongly recommend this movie to anyone.
  5. Jan 6, 2014
    You can't make me see this film even if you paid me. The effects were painful to the eyes, the story was a rip off of other Sci-Fi films, and acting was so bad it made who could have been good characters look bad. With hope, Stephanie Meyers will never get involved in movies again.
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    ‘The Host’ starts promisingly as the heroine finds herself in a terrible situation and the stakes are very high. There are also some nice images and Saoirse Ronan is fine, as usually. However the movie slowly degenerates into a metamodern mess: souls, bodies, aliens, humans, personalities and memories are mixed together, different concepts are confused and the story becomes meaningless. Furthermore, the pacing suffers during the second half and there is almost no action.
    argonautis.eu
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    Maybe not an awe inspiring flick, but the drama isn't as bad as some say it is. Perhaps there are some cringe worthy moments, but they were interestingly explored, and coming from a sci-fi fanatic background, I still remained tuned in for the ride until the end.

I've seen worse attempts, such as Twilight, but this stands on it's own, if a little limp.
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    I love sci/fi But if a gun was held to her children's heads Stephany Meyer would still be unable to write a strong, mentally stable female character..
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    Action? Nope. Shooting a gun sporadically don't makes an action film.
    Sci-fi? Nope. Aliens on background with white suits and bright worms don't make sci-fi movie when main theme is teen love the whole time.
    Adventure? Nope. Where? Because they use ancient caves as home? Where is the adventure?
    Thriller? Nope. There are no doubt about how this will gonna end.
    Romance? Until you sick.

Another Twilight, "Dolce&Gabbana Alien" edition.
  10. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ending was laughable due to poor lighting effects. Every other scene was beautiful. Hollywood severely rewrote events. Unlike Harry Potter, what was cut or changed seriously effected the book ideology. A person was killed with a gun, which shocked the heck out of me just because (spoiler?) no gun was fired in the book. This movie showed that only books can be entertaining w/o firearm usage. I'm sure someone else will remark on the voice-over for Melanie's internal dialogue. But that's basically another reason to read the book. At least I can better picture the setting. I thought the movie was beautiful, with tacky story-telling. Expand
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    Stephenie Meyer is a one trick pony who apparently only has one story in her which she now is trying to milk in every which way possible. Melanie (Ronan) gets taken over by a soul-alien and wadda ya know: she loves one guy and the soul loves another guy...sounds familiar (Bella loves Vampire/Werewolf)? Although this film is not as bad as Twillight, it sure is long, boring and slow. 125 mins and almost nothing happens. We also get the same old tiring messages of hope and peacefull coexistence and yada yada yada. By the end you'll be fighting to stay awake. Fell asleep twice. This is only scifi in concept, there is no science to be seen anywhere in the film and how are those glowy small soul aliens who live in little metal containers ever going to conquer the universe without opposable thumbs? How did they make the containers? How are they even going to get out of them (no thumbs remember)? What are they doing in there (sleeping, thinking about nothing, being bored out of their minds)? The story is very simplistic and superficial and clearly Meyer has no idea what scifi is all about. She probably thought it was a nice backdrop for yet another slimy teen love story. One last thing: I'm pretty sure they put a gun to Andrew Niccol's head and forced him to make this crap. I don't even want to consider why the man who gave us 'Lord of War' and 'Gattaca' -two of the best films of all time- would willingly accept to make this vommit. So yes, I didn't like it, go see it if you want. You'll never get those 125 mins of your life back! Expand
  12. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Host is a science fiction film of 2013 directed by Andrew Niccol, based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer with Saoirse Ronan, William Hurt and Diane Kruger.
    In a not too distant future our planet has been invaded by an alien race called "Souls" that to live must take the body of another living being. Most of the people were "owned" by the "Soul" but a small part resists including Melanie (Saoirse Ronan), a girl who was captured and in which the cover you have entered a '"Soul" to find out where are the last survivors. But the girl is strong and the '"Soul" called Wanderer, is slowly infected by his human emotions. Having escaped from the clutches of those who held them captive, Melanie, along with the Wayfarer will start a journey to return home and to embrace the people he loves the most.
    The film is a real failure. Fails to bring the viewer into the story and even to appreciate certain characters. Besides, the film proves tedious and has not found any original (even though he had an idea based not bad). Some scenes unwittingly create laughter especially in those romantic. A film that leaves nothing to the viewer. The direction is discreet while Saoirse Ronan has proved an excellent actress.
  13. Jul 15, 2013
    I went into this film with expectations based on the trailers I had seen. Basically, the movie studio apparently was afraid of what they had created, and released promotional material that was so pedantic, so wanton of a touristed veneer, that it completely obscured the artistic and dramatic genius that this film engenders.

I'm a hard-core science fiction fan. I cried when Defying
    Gravity was killed. Sunshine is one of the best SciFi movies ever made... so.

The Host is nothing like the trailers would suggest. It is hardcore Sc-ifi presented in one of the most dramatic and believable scenarios I can think of in recent times. This movie is at least on par, if not more monumental then Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Andrew Niccol has directed his opus. While his work to date has been good, this finally distinguishes him as a great director of film.

Saoirse Ronan once again demonstrates an unbelievable talent for acting. She is able to portray the conflicted alien inhabiting the human body as well as the trapped human soul with amazing skill. The Academy will have no choice but to recognize her acting talent sooner rather then later.

The story is simple but deep. While I might have liked a more empirical explanation of the how and why the aliens conquered us, what is portrayed manages to imply just enough to make the story believable and understandable.

To go into more detail would rob the next curious mind of the wonder of the film. Suffice it to say that this movie is worth watching.
  14. Jul 13, 2013
    I like Sci Fi but I like a great movie with a beautiful story even better. This is both so it is a winner. Very well done and I usually read the book before I watch the movie. I am glad I did not in this case. I had just watched Pacific Rim with my son at the local IMAX 3D and was amazed at the special effects but it was missing something, like a story. The Host filled in the gap and I am very glad I watched it. I guess I am saying it was better than Pacific Rim in my book! Expand
  15. Jul 9, 2013
    Believe it or not, The Host is actually hurt by the fact that it was written by Stephenie Meyer, the famed creator of the "Twilight Saga". Because of that, it seems as though the critics and viewers alike cannot let go of that comparison. Meanwhile, this story is not even remotely close to Twilight and if a different person was credited with creating it, I honestly feel that the ratings would be so much higher. That's because this is actually an incredibly original plot that develops really well throughout. If you want to say that the premise is silly or whatever, go ahead. It's an alien movie for crying out loud. If you don't lower you suspension of disbelief a little bit then every single science-fiction movie also becomes silly, what makes this one different? Go in expecting the premise to be out there because that's the foundation of the plot. Now, the acting, while solid, could've delivered more emotion but that also seemed to be part of the point. Some of the plot points were also a little weak but not enough to ruin the viewing experience. Overall I was very pleased with this film and found it quite entertaining. If people would open their minds a bit and let go of the Twilight relationship, I think most of them would as well. Expand
  16. Jul 9, 2013
    Was a great movie! Finally something different that doesn't have a terrible ending. Was a little worried about the film because of the other reviews but the story seemed so interesting and was! I feel like it was better the a 8 but can go into a 9 just because of other films I have seen!
  17. Jul 2, 2013
    Unadulterated unmitigated Disengaging, unintentionally hilarious, wooden acting, little or no story, the level of suspension of disbelief is staggeringly arrogant.

under no circumstances watch this crap
  18. Jun 4, 2013
    The movie is not a Sci-Fi movie, it’s a love story with some science fiction elements. The plot is dull, the acting is regular and the visual effects are fine. I believe it is a hard book to adapt (cause half of the story takes place on the head of the main character) and they did what they could in 2 hours, but I felt it all in a weird dull-rush, some of the things didn’t make sense. The idea is good but the movie didn’t quite capture it. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. Expand
  19. Jun 4, 2013
    "What was actually an intriguing premise and somewhat clever story-line, gets butchered admist on the path for destruction. The Host, fails in conjuring any sense of emotion and depth and instead makes you wanna take an aspirin because your head hurts." F
  20. May 19, 2013
    I have no idea why I thought this would be better than the twilight movies... It might actually be worse. There's nothing wrong with the premise, but the pure fact that the main character has a constant voiceover running is not only distracting but horribly cliché. The story construction, character development, and dialogue are all just terribly written. I cannot understand why Stephanie Meyer is so popular. Expand
  21. May 12, 2013
    Very generic and dull and tedious beyond belief. Shallow pap, with a music score as awful. Which is a shame because the cast is quite good, like Adam from Supernatural. But what did you expect from a Stephanie Meyer film?
  22. Apr 28, 2013
    The biggest sin of this film is that it is so dull, it is completely forgettable. I saw the movie a while ago but I can't remember a single thing about it. Acting is subpar, the story is sloppy, action is dull, interesting sci-fi concepts are barely explored and the hackney love story is generic and boring. There is nothing about this movie that I hate, but there is also nothing I like. It is just lazy garbage made to cash off of the success of Stephanie Myers far more popular and unintentionally funny Twilight franchise. I would recommend this movie if you enjoy watching paint dry. Expand
  23. Apr 26, 2013
    Few movies, have been so painful to watch, especially in a big budget film. I kept telling myself i would judge this movie on it's own merrit, and never compare it to twilight or let it drag it down, but as it turns out it didnt matter because shockingly enuf, THIS MOVIE WAS WORSE. I know, i am surprised to say that myself. How could a much hotter actress in a movie with aliens be worse? Well it is so poorly executed and the story is so predictible and boring and horribly sappy (bad sappy not good sappy). At many parts i laughed at how cheesy and ridiculous what just happened actually was. Stephanie Meyer has absolutely no concept of how the male mind works and very poor writing skills. The casting team also needs to learn that there are many different appearances to men, and not just the pretty boy surfer dude that BOTH main male leads were hard to disquinsh apart from. Made the main character look very (insert possiblly nonexistant socially accptable term for a girl who is too loose with the guys) because stephanie meyer tries way to hard to force the broken two men one girl mechanic into a story where only one guy is needed. In fact, this story would have been far better with only one male lead and could have further developed the bond between the two charcters. Meyer needs to learn this important detail, two guys fighting over one girl concept is not new and is perfectly fine, but the two "hot" guys fighting over one average girl and deciding to be friends and sharing in some twisted threesome relationship concept is ridiculous and unrealistic, at least in the manner she keeps trying to display. Expand
  24. Apr 26, 2013
    Stephanie Meyer is derided and praised in equal measure so with her movie follow up to the twilight saga, The Host, she had something to prove. She had to prove that her patented romance formula could translate from the supernatural to the science fiction genre. Unfortunately for The Host hardly anyone wanted to find out despite the fact in most ways, The Host is better than any of the Twilight films if only for one reason, there is a sense of meaning to what happens in this world where as with Twilight, someone couldn't pay me to care. The Host tells the tale of Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan) one of the few surviving humans on Earth. When she is captured she is implanted with an alien life and becomes a prisoner in her own body. The alien, known as Wanderer begins to experience human emotions and Melanie's memories and she struggles to live normally and is forced to seek out those Melanie has left behind. The film is odd because its deeply planted in the Sci-Fi genre but it feels like a deep character piece with a typically western feel. It's a cross genre story that carefully balances each genre while never forgetting the rules of this new world the characters live in. The film doesn't really concentrate on action and feels more comfortable in the small personal moments. Sure the film has its action sequences but they are always coupled with an emotional character moment as though juxtaposing the two. This does make the action rather drawn out and lackluster but like I said, this film really isn't about the action. The music (by Antonio Pinto) is unique and an odd amalgam of conventional western tones and electronic western notes. It provides an interesting context to the world that has been built, the solitary nature of this new human life but also the presence of the futuristic and the good and bad that comes from this intrusion. It has an Eric Serra (The Fifth Element) feel to it and because of it, the music proves well suited to moments of emotion but also sudden action. The film is grounded in a sense of reality, be it a slightly 12A reality where all anyone ever talks about is kissing (It's a film aimed at the young and idealistic after all) and the film relies heavily on Ronan to keep the film flowing and from becoming overly complicated. She delivers in both roles (despite Melanie being mostly voice-over) making them both sympathetic protagonists despite the twisted nature of their joint habitation. It's a film about morality (like many westerns are) more than anything and the idea that no one is perfect is rampant in the film. The film has the tendency to break its own established rules to serve the story so there are a fair few plot holes making segments of the film unbelievable (beyond the whole aliens from another planet thing). It depicts a world and a girl at war with itself and it does so in a subtle way by concentrating on the small moments, the ones that depict the voice and ideals of the people and why they fight to begin with. Expand
  25. Apr 14, 2013
    A silly "teen beat" approach to typical sci-fi invader tropes, this overly done and half baked psuedo love story provides more laughs than gasps. exhibit a) the chemistry between these kids is non existent, making for some unintentionally hilarious scenes. not the fault of our young cast, who struggles with utterly ridiculous dialogue though with promising conviction. exhibit b) the narrative get's lost into an ostentatious dive by the whim of over dramatic "love cues" or quite simply, poor writing. let's face it, Stephanie Meyer doesn't really know what she's doing. an unlearned writer who got lucky with 'The Twilight Series' by tapping into the narrative routine that was more like a "teen idol poster" to a novel, Meyer was able to exploit what teenage girls "really want"; having been undermined with sexist literary schemes that harken back to the "damsels in distress" or "suzie homemakers in white aprons", with a twist. what's her modus operandi? a subversive heroin who balks and crumbles at the feet of a prototypical blue-eyes, who reminds them what it's like to be a woman. you couldn't write dialogue anymore jarring to 50 years of women's lib if you tried. exhibit c) there must have been a better way to engage the audience with the pivotal "two voices in my head" scene. a scene wherein both the writer and director attempt to circumvent the drama with a true, honest to god commentary on the anagonist's jungian state, which would translate into this sort of thematic reveal and open up the plot and central theme of the movie. unfortunately, it's far more sillier on screen than it was on paper. in fact, who even writes this stuff? oh, yeah.....exhibit b.

cold special effects that add to the atmosphere but operate as nothing more than breaks of eye-candy, this story will expose Meyer for what she really is. a fake. *2 out of 5 stars*
  26. Apr 12, 2013
    Buy a ticket for the eye roller express on this stinkeroo. It has been many moons since I have walked out of a movie but this one earned the distinction of seeing my heiny trotting on out the door.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the book is more engaging. This screen adaptation seems as though it were written by a 12 year old. I"m not sure whose idea it was that
    thought audiences would want to watch the equivalent of two 14 year old girls bicker for an hour and a half in the same head but they should be tazed. If they were shooting for age pertinent dialogue they found it. The upside is that it didn't make the remaining parts of the movie (that I saw) feel quite as contrived.
    Anyhoo, my recommendation is to skip this movie and wait 'til it comes out on vhs
  27. Apr 11, 2013
    Ignore the basically clueless media reviews…..this is a very intelligent and deeply intuitive film by the man who wrote the screenplay for “The Truman Show” and who both wrote and directed “Gattaca”…..so forget the “Twilight”-related baggage (which the critics apparently can't)…..go to it with fresh eyes and enjoy the entirely believable and cohesive sci-fi world that Andrew Niccol has created……this is better film than (the interesting) “Looper”
    and an infinitely better film than the current darling of the media
    critics “Amour”.
  28. Apr 5, 2013
    This movie wasn't that bad. I had read the book about a year ago, so "filled in" a lot of information myself that wasn't there in the movie. However, if a person HADN'T read the book, they would probably give it a 4 because it was slow moving. There were poignant moments that I enjoyed seeing come to life, but this is really a movie for those who have read the book. It doesn't stand on it's own. There's so much more detail in the book about Wanderer (her life, history, struggle between being a Soul and reconciling it with her new feelings and behavior, dealing with Melanie, etc.) and you only get 1/20th of that from watching the movie. Expand
  29. Apr 5, 2013
    This was an excellent movie. I can why people might not like as it is a bit OTT but you can't deny the acting was excellent by all. They should actually turn this into an actuall saga like the Darren Shan.
  30. Apr 3, 2013
    I really wanted to like this movie. Some of the effects are absolutely captivating, but the terrible acting and downright silliness of the plot take away from any of the positives. The original score is one of the better to come out of a sci-fi movie in recent memory, but the cliches (chrome plated everything, for example) destroy what could have been a decent film. Skip it, but get the music.

1. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Apr 7, 2013
    Steven Spielberg famously retained his childhood sense of wonder. On this evidence, Meyer has maintained a nine-year-old's notion of titillating romance.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Apr 3, 2013
    This film adaptation feels like YA, with cat’s-cradle love matches, soft-focus sexuality, and a main character who never satisfactorily makes the transition from page to screen.
  3. Reviewed by: Owen Gleiberman
    Mar 29, 2013
    It's really a dramatic sinkhole.