6.7

1. Dec 10, 2011
    It does indeed build an intensity via nostalgic 80's occult angst but it drags out for far too long for so little reward. The leading lady performance is plausible but she cannot single handedly float the film out of it's disappointing anti-climax. It does have that one good 'jump' moment worth missed heartbeat or two.
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    I love horror movies but this movie was pretty much a boring piece of crap. I went in with mildly high expectations since it got so much praise by the critics and was left severely disappointed. I don't know how anyone could have found this scary. I kept thinking if I can just stick with this movie through the boring parts I'll eventually get to the scary parts, but yep you guessed it.I love horror movies but this movie was pretty much a boring piece of crap. I went in with mildly high expectations since it got so much praise by the critics and was left severely disappointed. I don't know how anyone could have found this scary. I kept thinking if I can just stick with this movie through the boring parts I'll eventually get to the scary parts, but yep you guessed it. There are none. Not one. I'm being kind by giving this a 3. Expand
  3. Oct 4, 2014
    Making me physically uncomfortable for 15 minutes does not make up for the fact that the other 80 minutes of this film are painfully boring. It started off alright, but took forever to get to where it was going. When it got there it really got there, but after such a long drawn out build up it came and went too fast.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Call it the best '80s babysitter-in-peril movie never made. The House of the Devil delivers about as much as one could reasonably hope from the not-quite-alone-in-the-house category, with the bonus of authentically re-creating the low-budget look and feel of that era's classic horror entries.
  2. This is the perfect illustration of the banality of most scare movies.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Pumping the audience with inhale-exhale zooms and out-of-the-way close-ups, director Ti West's ratcheting of suspense in this alone-in-an-empty-house tale is proficient, if not psychologically piercing, in the best "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" fashion.