7.1

1. May 1, 2012
    Grade: C - Not a very bad movie but i didn't liked it much. Beautiful set pieces, visually stunning, pretentious acting, too much holding back apart from a few good scenes. Overall the ending was quite strong which i liked .... erotic thriller that acts like a indie arthouse flick but fails in both ways.
  2. Aug 4, 2011
    if you find the ending histrionic or excessively and annoyingly melodramatic, it means you have been thinking in a hollywood formulaic manner. it's wonderful to appreciate as a whole, a show-don't-tell movie, has a wonderful soundtrack, and it's sexy. but at the back of my head, i ask, is this an anti-abortion, anti-classist propaganda? maybe not.
  3. Feb 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU INTEND TO SEE THE FILM; I HAVE REFERENCED THE ENDING. The Housemaid is a sexy, gripping, can't wait to see what happens film. No gratuitous sex or nudity just a story that may seem common but with a shocking ending and a quirky lead character. As usual with foreign films my not knowing the culture precludes me understanding the sense of how the action and relationships make the characters do or not do something. When they speak, at times there is no translation. Am I missing some banter? Perhaps it is part of a previous or upcoming translation, yet somehow I feel I am missing the nuance. If not for this flaw, I would rate this film a straight A (instead of an A-). Excellent acting, perfectly staged and shot. A minor issue is the relationship of the lead and friend (?) in the opening sequence and again later in the film. A metaphor on the opening suicide? Relation to the end? Strong believable, if a little melodramatic, but stirring. Well worth seeing. Expand
  4. Aug 14, 2012
    A remake of a classic masterpiece is always been a thankless task, but since half a century has passed since 1960, when Ki-young Kim
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    This review contains no spoilers.

Whatever your first impression of the title of this movie is wrong. This is a tragic drama of course revolving around a housemaid. It is again another fine piece of work from the Korean cinema. The theme is around one of the classic human-relationship problems.

The movies has excellent performances all around and benefits from actors such as Lee
    Jung-Jae (New World) and Jeon Do-yeon (Secret Sunshine). Character building is quite adequate with Hae-ra's mom shaping up very quickly. Eun-yi's (Jeon Do-yeon) character get more expressive progressively. I must say the most interesting and most complex character is that of the buttress and Yeo-jeong Yoon does a fine job of acting them at each turn.

The score of the movie is an original pieces of classical-style and deserves appreciation as such. This is one of the many things that Koreans have mastered so well.

You'll love the cinematography as well however I found that some of the shots (tracking, hi-angled) were unnecessary. The score, the acting and the plot carry the movie forward so powerfully that nothing else seems to be needed. The settings and the snowy grounds definitely helped.

To me the movie or the story seemed to have another hidden conclusion. And that is the message of inevitability in life. At times and under circumstances a few steps can seal your fate forever. You can fight to change this slightly but you can change the direction of where the life is taking you.

Overall if you like dramas I strongly recommend this well-executed movie.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Mar 17, 2011
    The graphic sex scenes radiate an uncommon heat, and Im can pull off a hugely effective shock when he wants to.
  2. Reviewed by: Stan Hall
    Mar 4, 2011
    Falls somewhere between the kind of trashy, campy romp that's on movie channels in the middle of the night (though with far superior acting and production values) and the dark psychological thrillers of Kim Ki-duk.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Mar 4, 2011
    Im Sang-soo has crafted an erotic thriller whose cool beauty speaks for itself.