8.0

1. Jan 22, 2014
    A pretty decent follow up to the original, with less 'tween-spirit' and more mature themes. Again we see a lot of young kids being killed without really caring about their characters, however it does leave me wanting to see more.
  2. Jan 15, 2014
    this is a great movie that i found followed the book pretty well, i found that it had a entertaining story and an ended the EXACT same way that the 2nd book ended. If you liked the first hunger games movie, you're gonna like this one.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    The visuals for Catching Fire are amazing, I enjoyed the books and thoroughly loved the concepts but I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I had hoped. The acting from the majority of actors and actresses was bland and lacked personality so the movie seemed to droll on.
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When the first movie came out, I knew they would overhype them, and I didn't come out of the movie impressed, but neither was I disappointed. For this movie, I expected it to be about the same or less, as the 2nd book was my least favorite of the two.

Boy, was I wrong!

Things aren't well in the world of Katniss. She just wants to live, and that's about it. As a result, she never thinks about the significance of the actions that she makes. As a result, she now finds herself as the face of rebellion, and President Snow is none too happy. She must now act for the Capital or watch everyone she loves die because of her actions in the first movie.

The movie does a magnificent job of showing how oblivious Katniss was to the problem's she created. Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job showing how aloof Katniss wanted to be in this whole affair as she slips into insanity. As Katniss comes to realize how shallow and pathetic is, she begins to realize how important Peeta is just like the books. The other character's in the cast developed appropriately, showing how Katniss' actions have changed their lives and shows the cruelty of the Capital and it's extravagances much better than the first movie.

The weakest part of the 2nd book, the Victory Tour wasn't rushed over, and that came to be a good thing. It allowed them to really emphasis the fact that her train ride is never ending, and that she will always suffer for her actions.

Surprisingly, the movie was quite funny as well. Caesar's infectious laugh had me going every time, and the nonchalance of the Capital culture to their own cruelty in their gaudy culture was emphasized more than the first, which made the situation of Katniss and her loved ones more significant.

The arena was very well done, and really helped give life to some things that I couldn't do with the arena she was left in. The movie did a better job, in my opinion, of grasping the tension in the arena that the book did.

All in all, an excellent movie and better than the first.
  5. Nov 24, 2013
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A movie for which the expectations are set high. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see it, after a long wait since part one. From the moment the movie started, till it's end, I was completely sucked into the movie. When it ended, I actually had to realise I was sitting in the cinema... From beginning till end, the movie is full of action, tension with a great story! I thought the movie had just begun when it actually ended.
    I think Jennifer Lawrence Josh Hutcherson and all of the cast created a masterpiece!
    In my opinion I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes action/scifi movies.
    As far as I know, I just can't wait until the 20th of november 2014 for the first part of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
  6. Nov 24, 2013
    This new installment in the Hunger Games saga volunteers itself as tribute to excellent pace, drama and ingenuity. My experience with the film left me thinking I really knew Catniss and the world around her. This film also has a rare feature in that it speaks to almost all audiences with an emotional resonance not seen in most major motion pictures. The beginning and middle of the film, which do not take place in a fantastically designed and imagined Hunger Games arena are somehow far more emotionally engrossing than the conclusion of the film, which still held to a high standard of pace and drama.

While I did not read the book, I found the story of this film fairly taught and thought out. The characters were far above expectations, even the new faces and the special effects and CGI of the film gave it an excitement and drive rare in movies like this. Catching Fire is red hot.
  7. Nov 25, 2013
    Read the books several times after seeing the first movie for which I thought was slow and forgettable. Best scene was when Rue died (actual tear came). Jennifer was good but really didn't do anything aggressive enough like a Nikita type character. Her co-stars, Josh and Liam, were/are not on her acting level, hell Josh isn't even tall enough or good looking enough to be believable as a "love interest.' So, I ended up watching Battle Royale--the original. Had hopes of changes for Catching Fire. Like ebbs and flows of being caught up in the movie; pulling for Jennifer's character and her relationships. Show more intrigue in the politics with the Capital and the Districts. It's a YA book with depth that's not shown in the movie. Josh Hutcherson's character in the book, to me, is an Artiste with charm and striking flares of independence, but he plays him as "he" sees him: a wuss. He seems a bit insecure about his role (height difference, acting level, looks) which shows in his bland performance. Liam has no big role so it doesn't matter. Which districts did not believe the kids? One day of training? Director's decision: Do it like the book (reminder: it costs too much to add depth and meaning) and the fans will like it regardless. Lionsgate: Let's make monay! The Hunger Games Catching Fire is still forgettable but as boring as the first movie. Advantage: Book Trilogy. Expand
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    Overall the Hunger Game:Catching Fire was great movie pleasing to watch at most part, with more action than first movie, many memorable scenes throughout (The scenery of jungle nice!)
    but-Note: some actors and actresses lack some chemistry and energy while acting out their parts.
  9. Nov 26, 2013
    The books are still better, although this movie was better than the first one. The plot here moved along well and it was entertaining and I was not bored to tears as in the first. All around a good but not great popcorn flick. See it for casual fun.
  10. Dec 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed the first movie. It was new, exciting and entertaining. The one, for me, not all that wonderful. Don't get me wrong, the visual is stunning at times and the characters do have a certain intrigue about them. I'm not a fan of the series in that I've never read the books, and although I can't put my finger on why, about 20 minutes from the end all I could think was 'when is this going to end?'. Worth a watch though, it just didn't excite me all that much. Expand
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    I don't understand all the hype for these movies, they must be for those who read the books and want to see them acted out on screen.
    The movie is completly boring with about ten minutes of action towards the end.
    How many arrows does she have anyway?
  12. Jan 10, 2014
    While the first Hunger Games movie was a bit lackluster and disappointing, the 2nd film does justice to the book and the author. Jennifer Lawrence was a bit emotionless in the first film (although maybe Katniss really would've been like that), but she improves her acting for the second film. The other victors like Beetee, Finnick, and Johanna were great. (Johanna was especially funny!) The rest of cast is good too, even though I feel like characters such as Cinna and Prim weren't in the movie enough (but unfortunately you can't fit everything from the book into the movie). Besides the victors, the addition of Presidents Snow's granddaughter was a nice touch. Things from the book were adapted well for the movie, and to sum it all up this movie was really good. I can't wait for the next movie!

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 will be released November 2014 and Part 2 in 2015.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name, and please mark this review as helpful.
  13. Apr 12, 2014
    A young-adult franchise movie that reflects concretely the message from the book with an almost prefect performance from Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  14. Dec 31, 2013
    Could've been better, overall I think it's because the first movie was good and I expected the second to be better It seemed to drag out after an hour
  15. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best movies of 2013 I think it is even better than gravity. The movie captures the world of the hunger games in an amazing way, and I loved every bit of the movie.
  16. Jan 1, 2014
    Far deeper in emotion and story than the first movie, and feels more interesting. There are politics involved and I loved the whole uprising, it feels like you're witnessing a revolution, some part of history.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 8.0/10
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence is everything. She delivers a fantastic performance that makes the audience believe in her character's anger and vulnerability. Her acting has improved since the first movie and it truly makes this movie believable and better than the first one. There were some scenes that needed to be fixed, but it's not that big of a deal for this #1 action movie of 2013.
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    Far better than the first one. Stunning visuals, interesting storyline & good acting all add up to make a pretty cool film. Haven't read the books but think I might give them a whirl after seeing the first two movies. Can't wait to see how the third one pans out!
  19. Feb 2, 2014
    First thing I noticed about this film from its previous film is that Gary Ross did not direct this film, so it's obvious that we would see lots and lots of changes. The first change was the setting, in the first film District 12 was not so modern it seemed like District 12 was only couple of wooden houses and probably the only stone building was the Cathedral, but in the second film District 12 was mostly of stone houses and buildings. The other thing I noticed but doesn't make sense is that "How is it possible for the game makers to see every little thing without a camera?".

In the book the twist in the story was smooth and elegantly said but in the film it wasn't. One scene the game maker is with President Snow and the very next scene he is in the hover craft with Haymitch and people.

I give 7 because I was impressed by the graphics and the overall flow of the film, I feel this could have been better with some logic. I wish the new directer keeps the flow and consistency the same with the up coming once.

Overall it was a great entertainer and was not as gore as the previous one. I say it wasn't a waste of time and effort.
  20. Jan 6, 2014
    i have learned that after watching the movie. its better to not over think it i am really disappointed i want my money back the only reason i'm glad i saw it because now i can understand the third one which hopefully better than the second one.
  21. Jwv
    Jan 28, 2014
    From the very start, you can see that Catching Fire is a much bigger production than The Hunger Games. It's a good thing the movie elaborates more on the relationship between Katniss and Prim, because we finally get to see some real feeling behind Katniss' motive, which is a thing that the book lacked. Secondly, I also like how the movie elaborates on the precarious situation the president Snow is in, and how he copes with it. The movie does succeed in portraying an exotic lethal and especially dynamic arena, featuring great special effects, decors and non-stop action. The acting is good overall, although the two TV-commentators are amazingly flat characters, firing off meaningless and dull one-liners and acting ostentatiously. These are not the characters that Collins creates in the book that I criticize however, but the actual clumsiness by which the movie handles them. Actually every public appearance or speech of any kind is very empty of meaning and substance. In a repressive system where twelve districts are controlled (against their will) by a totalitarian regime, the power of propaganda should extend beyond the TV-set. What I mean is that not only the repetition of visual display of power is enough to sketch a believable world. The power of rhetoric is nowhere to be seen, which is a shame.

The movie does in certain ways improve over the book (ie. providing different points of focalization) and it does a great job in compacting the book into a consistent two hour movie.
  22. Jan 20, 2014
    This movie isn't exactly what I thought it would be. It missed out on some major and small parts like the first movie. I understand that the movie has to fit into 1-2 hours, but at least try putting in more parts and a tad bit more action in this movie. The makeup and costumes were outstanding, but the movie in general?... I'd give this an 8.
  23. Jan 22, 2014
    This is one of those rare times when I have read the book and was pleased with the movie. The producers/directors did a fine job following the story and the actors did a great job making the characters true to form.

Loved this movie!
  24. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Spectacular!'' ''Knockout.'' ''Explosive!'' Jennifer Lawrence is fearless. The Hunger Games:Catching Fire will take your breath away. One of the Best adaptation of the book I've seen. One of the Best Achievement. Francis Lawrence gives a suspenseful action film, It leaves you wanting more.
  25. Feb 23, 2014
    It was really entertaining, Jennifer Lawrence is great in her role. Despite 2 hour long, it keeps you in expectation all the time. Definitely a must see
  26. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved Catching Fire and how it was played out. It was so perfect how the whole arena was a a huge clock counting down the hours and with every new hour it was a new threat. It was way better then the first Hunger Games. I even read the book and the movie was a little bit different but I did wait for the movie and it was not disappointing at all! I hope they don't forget about Peter's Perl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xoxo Rues_Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  27. Mar 5, 2014
    as much as hobitt 2 sucked this sucks more . i love suzzane collin's hunger games and i love hunger game movie . but this one is needs improvement i love the first one but this one stinks FYI there comming out with part 2 .
  28. May 2, 2014
    It is not very common that a sequel turns out to be better than the original, but somehow here's Catching Fire, with an awesome performance by Lawrence and better CGI that makes this movie an amazing experience.
  29. Mar 15, 2014
    Una película entretenida, que te deja con las ganas de ver "The Hunger Games: Mokingjay - Part 1", contiene una buena dirección artística, y el trabajo de Trish Summerville en el vestuario lo hace ser merecedor de no solo la nominación al Oscar si no también el galardón, esta película sin duda es una de las mejores del año, que en mi opinión, es mejor que "Gravity", y por mucho.
  30. Apr 14, 2014
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is definitely an improvement upon the first film. With a deeper emotional depth and a better look at the series themes, and let's not forget an amazing lead performance from Academy-Award-Winner: Jennifer Lawrence.
  31. Mar 28, 2014
    When I saw the first Hunger Games film, I enjoyed it but I went into it without reading the book at all. So I made sure that I read the books before the next film came out and I enjoyed the book enough to where I got really hyped for the Catching Fire movie and it was amazing!! I enjoyed this movie so much and it was a lot better than the first Hunger Games movie. It had some great drama and suspense to keep me captive around the action scenes. The locations were also cool and I liked that they seemed more open and fleshed out in this movie than the first film. The characters were good, the acting was good, everything in this film is great. This is a one of kind film that I think sci-fi and dystopia fans will really enjoy, even if they didn't read the book. Expand
  32. Apr 1, 2014
    Catching Fire tops it's predecessor in almost every way. The actors have grown more comfortable in their roles, as the acting has improved greatly. The special effects are far better than what we got the last time around. And Ceasar Flickerman is twenty times funnier. The first hour of the movie solely focuses on the political tensions of Panem, and it is very well done. I even got scared by President Snow. (Not to mention the Peacekeepers actually look intimidating now). We also get to know more about victors that have been reaped for the 75 Hunger Games. This is a nice change from what we got in the last movie, "Cato bad! Marvel bad! They big! Kill! Run!" When we get to the Games, the movie retains all of it's tension from earlier and adds a nice layer of action to top it off. And there's almost no shaky camera this time. The two Mockingjay sequels are going to have to work hard to not be overshadowed. Expand
  33. Apr 2, 2014
    probably a good book and story, but translate this into a movie and you get nothing worth watching. The first movie was basically the tournament or the condemned with kids, bad story but still entertaining to watch. The only problem is I had the same expectations from this movie, 1 hour of survival fights, since I just don't care about the story because of the first movie... Well guess what, in this one they fight like 20 min and for the rest they talk about their totally bizar society that doesn't hold together and for one reason or another I hated every single one of the costumes in this movie. It's like we're set back 50 years. So yeah if u liked the story good for you but if you just watch this for the sake of entertainment you're going to fall a sleep. I really can't figure out what it is exactly but I really didn't like this movie. In my opinion this is just a really bad movie.

just my opinion
  34. May 22, 2014
    This movie was 30% Train wreck. because when cattiness and peeta arrive in some other place, some guy got shot and I didn't know why? Now I know because they think he was causing trouble.
  35. Jul 19, 2014
    Supera por mucho a la primera, posee unos mejores efectos visuales, un gran vestuario y maquillaje, aunque con un guión un tanto pobre, pero con actuaciones muy buenas, una magnifica dirección de Francis Lawrence, y es casi como si te leyeran el libro.
  36. Apr 18, 2014
    The first 30 minutes of this movie I was wondering whit was getting such high praise. And then it started to pickup and now I know why. Once the hunger games part started it was so good. And the ending was great. I cant wait for the next one to come out.
  37. Apr 20, 2014
    this is a great 2nd movie to the hunger games except it has a stupid ending which means i cant wait till the 1 st par of mocking jay (a 2 part 3rd movie for the hunger games) to come out in november 2014
  38. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the first film but have not read any of the books.
    Review:
    Pros: We go through the same process again as per the first film, except now Katniss is stronger, the Resistance has arisen and the Games are not going to go according to plan. Great story and action. As good as the first film.
    Cons: A bit of repetition of the first film?
    4.5/5 - Good enough
    to pay to watch it in the cinema and perhaps buy the DVD. Expand
  39. Jul 21, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is spectacular, the hunger games catching fire is much better than its predecessor, is visually beautiful, it is a glory to see, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is beautiful. THE HUNGER GAMES IS THE BEST YEAR EXPERIENCE. NO falls into clichés and stereotypes, is pure drama and action. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT SPECTACULAR OF THE WORD.
  40. Jul 28, 2014
    "Catching Fire" is a stunning improvement on its predecessor, undeniably more original and mature. The film at last deals with its dystopian premise, expressing points of view on several issues that have emerged in modern societies. Characters seem like they have grown up, and are ready to cope with the horror reality around them. I liked "Catching Fire" for not only condemning the dystopian situation but also going on to overturn it. There are principles on how things happened in Panem established in the first film, that collapse here. Every aspect of the film feels better and more fresh, and, of course, its open-ended finale leads right to "Mockingjay". Expand
  41. Aug 2, 2014
    So producers be like:
    -So what do we do in this next movie?
    -Idk man I was busy buying stuff with the money we got from the first release $$$
    -Let's just throw in the same stuff we put in the first movie,Katness and Peeta get in the game again,they kiss,they **** Gale he's a looser,he didn't fight in the dome as Peeta did and because Peeta couldn't find a suitable girlfriend even after
    all that
    -Yeah man! that's good! And let's say there will be a rebelion which will **** the Capitol but we won't show any of that lol
    -Ooh that's good,let's keep all that for the 3rd one.Alright people,let's do this !
    All that being said,wake up people! You've just watched a rerun of the first movie which could've contained all the new stuff if it was 20 mins longer.If there is anything I appreciate about this movie is that it taught me to trust my intuition when I think my gf likes someone else but she says I'm the only one.There is proof that she is most probably surely lying.Thx for reading :)

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 25, 2013
    Yet, despite the good acting, the middle section of the film, set at the Capitol, is attenuated and rhythmless — the filmmakers seem to be touching all the bases so that the trilogy’s readers won’t miss anything.
  2. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Nov 22, 2013
    With each on-screen chapter, the poor girl from District 12 continues to fulfill her destiny as an inspiration and a rebel fighter. She is but one female, but she's the perfect antidote to the surplus of male superheroes out there.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Everything that felt clumsy in The Hunger Games has been improved upon here. That's most apparent in the clarity of the action, but it also extends to how efficiently the film establishes so many new ensemble members.