The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

7.9

1. Dec 26, 2013
    A very very very strong 8.5 out of 10. November gave us the best blockbuster of 2013. Man of Steel was the best comic book movie of the year but this one surpasses it. I was very impressed. Big improvement over the first one. Great and better acting, great story, great characters especially the two leading ones, one of the best female characters ever, great twists, great pacing (it´s longA very very very strong 8.5 out of 10. November gave us the best blockbuster of 2013. Man of Steel was the best comic book movie of the year but this one surpasses it. I was very impressed. Big improvement over the first one. Great and better acting, great story, great characters especially the two leading ones, one of the best female characters ever, great twists, great pacing (it´s long but it doesn´t feel like it and you really don´t want it to end), spectacular scenes, emotive, deep, touching. It was so on point. There were so many subtle things I´m sure most people didn´t even notice. Even about sexuality, sexual orientation and male and female roles. Perfect film for all ages. So impressed. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Better than the first movie in every way, 'Catching Fire' exposes a stronger heroine than ever, not only physical issues but mainly mental, Katniss is, without a doubt, one of the most interesting characters that you can find nowadays, the first hour is incredibly good as it proposes, developing characters, story, and feeding Katniss more and more. The second hour, does not get back,Better than the first movie in every way, 'Catching Fire' exposes a stronger heroine than ever, not only physical issues but mainly mental, Katniss is, without a doubt, one of the most interesting characters that you can find nowadays, the first hour is incredibly good as it proposes, developing characters, story, and feeding Katniss more and more. The second hour, does not get back, amazing scenes (smart scenes), to feed the viewer.
    Katniss never let love take all your mind, because she knows she has more important things to worry about, but when love takes the screen, it's hard not to surrender, and with the passage of minutes, until the final scene Katniss and the public, are hungry, hungry for more.
  3. LTR
    Nov 23, 2013
    This is a great movie in the Hunger Games series. The story is great, the characters are great and the hunger games itself is way more enjoyable and creative.
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    Following the success of the first Hunger Games, Catching Fire does what a good sequel should do, focus on the consequences that came with the decisions made in the first film. In some ways I prefer this to the first film and in some ways I don't. This film has better acting, better visuals and a much more interesting story that focuses on the actions of characters rather than charactersFollowing the success of the first Hunger Games, Catching Fire does what a good sequel should do, focus on the consequences that came with the decisions made in the first film. In some ways I prefer this to the first film and in some ways I don't. This film has better acting, better visuals and a much more interesting story that focuses on the actions of characters rather than characters in action. It didn't give me a feeling of closure like the first film though. The first film can stand on its own as a good science fiction film, whereas this film still does feel like a sequel. It doesn't stand on its own but it still continues a great story and I enjoyed it. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    This is one of those times where the sequel actually plays better than the first. This movie actually carried better than the book also. Lots of internal drama and lack of a clear plot line make this better for teenagers and older but overall a good experience.
  6. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't believe that a sequel will be much better and highly enjoyable than its predecessor. Here on this film, all of the elements of the film cinematography, acting skills, plot, and imagine the dramatic violence have been upgraded superbly. This is the trilogy that will make you hungry to watch all of its movies even when you are busy.

Katniss Everdeen known as the famous star,

Katniss Everdeen known as the famous star, Jennifer Lawrence has come up to the stage again for her strong and unique performance along with Peeta Melark, known as Josh Hutcherson which is now more brave and unusual compare to the last film. They fight against the evil Capitol which is ruled by President Snow main antagonist because of the events of the last film.

Hunger Games Catching Fire not only provides more of the 3D and visual effects but also the film manages to introduce the characters one by one which makes it more of a straight line. And add up the thrilling scenes. Here the experience of thrill just been more of a horror than ever before.

Hunger Games Catching Fire is really a very good and possibly one of the best films on this year. So I highly recommend everyone to watch it. It really saves your money when you watch it on theatre and preferably on 3D. For those who didn't like the Hunger Games (the predecessor) pretty much, well this sequel will definitely transformed you into a fan of the trilogy.

The Hunger Games Catching Fire Rating 10 10
    Compared to -
    The Hunger Games (the predecessor) Rating 8 10
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    Amazing film, and I can't wait to see it again! The fact that it follows the book fairly well is a huge two thumbs up! Nothing is worse than a film based on a book that doesn't follow the book at all. So again I repeat, I truly enjoyed this film.
  8. Nov 26, 2013
    Great overall movie but her crying was way too overtop constant (but really funny). A little graphic for some viewers. I`ve read both books and this might have been my favorite, except for the train scene, witch was shortened. Also the poison cleansing scene is over the top and sounds like a different sort of movie.
  9. Dec 8, 2013
    The new V for Vendetta, awaiting the next shows a future where tyranny dominates the reigns Nazism, a new vision and hope our princess, win so that our future generation see what not to do.
  10. Jan 27, 2014
    A must watch !, this movie is well done. This time there's no sharky cameras, that's an improvement. It's start only at the middle of the movie, but personally its a 2h30 film that passed so fast !
  11. Dec 12, 2013
    A real Hit compared to the first movie, One hell of a Action thriller movie, And very enjoyable for those who have read the books, I would strongly recommend seeing this or buying it when it comes out on dvd.
  12. Jan 26, 2014
    "Absolutely sublime from start to finish and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything again." - Yahtzee/Zero Punctuation
  13. Jan 3, 2014
    Far better than the first one. Stunning visuals, interesting storyline & good acting all add up to make a pretty cool film. Haven't read the books but think I might give them a whirl after seeing the first two movies. Can't wait to see how the third one pans out!
  14. Nov 22, 2013
    This film was amazing! So much better than the first. The characters were so much more believable and the visuals were stunning. This is probably my favourite film of the year!
  15. Nov 22, 2013
    This one is awesome in every way. Every aspects and action sequences are far way better than the first one. They improve everything from storytelling to character development. You'll get whatever you expect and sometimes it is more than you wish for. There's no stopping for the thrill they give. Every minute, there's a build up of the story. Jennifer Lawrence delivers a true heroine in herThis one is awesome in every way. Every aspects and action sequences are far way better than the first one. They improve everything from storytelling to character development. You'll get whatever you expect and sometimes it is more than you wish for. There's no stopping for the thrill they give. Every minute, there's a build up of the story. Jennifer Lawrence delivers a true heroine in her character.
    It is a true satisfaction and a must-see.
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    Having not read the book, but having had my brother try to explain it all to me one time, I was able to follow along the plot pretty well. The action is well paced and the special effects are very well done. Parts of the movie are a (lite) delve into the terrible world of PTSD, and while I found them to be accurate enough, they were naturally somewhat emotionally draining. I think thatHaving not read the book, but having had my brother try to explain it all to me one time, I was able to follow along the plot pretty well. The action is well paced and the special effects are very well done. Parts of the movie are a (lite) delve into the terrible world of PTSD, and while I found them to be accurate enough, they were naturally somewhat emotionally draining. I think that almost anyone who likes sci-fi action movies will be happy to see this film. Expand
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    My God, this movie was absolutely amazing. The first movie was pretty good, but it was a masterpiece. Catching Fire, on the other hand, tops it almost every way. Acting was excellent, story was really good, music, visuals, makeup all of it. When I read the book I though the first half outside the games was good but not great. But they made it a whole lot more interesting in this adaption.My God, this movie was absolutely amazing. The first movie was pretty good, but it was a masterpiece. Catching Fire, on the other hand, tops it almost every way. Acting was excellent, story was really good, music, visuals, makeup all of it. When I read the book I though the first half outside the games was good but not great. But they made it a whole lot more interesting in this adaption. One of the few films, where I think the movie was better. Expand
  18. Nov 26, 2013
    one freaking word.....Jennifer Lawrence! and i liked the movie because it was superior to the first movie and its more related to the book even thou it missed some material from the book I still enjoyed the stinking movie
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    great sequal to the movie. great cinematography, music, acting, action, romance, all that good stuff. you don't want to miss it if you saw the first one.
  20. Nov 22, 2013
    Bigger and better than the first film of the franchise, Catching Fire fixes the mistakes made by its predecessor, doing justice to the source novel. As always, Jennifer Lawrence outshines every other member of the talented cast.
  21. Nov 22, 2013
    "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" picks up exactly where the last film left off, continuing the sparks of rebellion. This film takes everything that was great about the first film and makes it significantly better. The characters are more defined, the special effects are better, the score is more bombastic, writing is stronger, and the overall feel is grander. The themes of hope that lurks"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" picks up exactly where the last film left off, continuing the sparks of rebellion. This film takes everything that was great about the first film and makes it significantly better. The characters are more defined, the special effects are better, the score is more bombastic, writing is stronger, and the overall feel is grander. The themes of hope that lurks in the series are exemplified even further as the stakes are higher and the amount of freedom is slowly withering away.

Directing is really the main highlight of this film. The new director, Francis Lawrence, keeps the overall feel of the series, but brings greater control and precise attention to detail to the onscreen action and drama. The action is easier to see and choreographed really well. Interesting shots are used to cover up the grotesque level of violence, but they are no less impactful than actually seeing it. The use of a much steadier camera really makes taking in everything easier. The level of emotion is effectively presented on screen and the use of music excels everything to a more heart touching level. Even though the film is more emotional, it still manages to have some moments of humor spread throughout. The script is tight and really develops these characters that we’ve grown to love. While the social commentary on reality television is on the lacking side, the themes of hope, freedom, trust, and unity are far more assessed.

While many of the older characters return, there are many new ones introduced. First things first, Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen is still one of my favorite characters of all time and I love her here as much as I did before. However, she doesn’t grow as a character as much this time around. She’s more struggling with her inner demons as she tries to find herself at the helms of this new revolution that is around the corner. Peeta on the other hand, grows a lot. He’s more confident and less dependent on Katniss. He can hold his own and even takes the initiative a few times. Effie even goes through some character growth as we see her love for her tributes. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is still the wise cracking drunk, but has become more generous and caring. While our returning characters are great, the newer additions are just as awesome. The two standouts for me are Finnick and Johanna. Finnick is not only a great looking guy, but has a heart of gold. He seems vain with ulterior motives, but he proves himself to be caring and protective. Johanna is a total bad girl. She’s really in your face, a bit psychotic, and a powerful warrior. However, she can even manage to be funny. All the characters are great including the additions of the new ones. They all get good screen time and development and we can really care for them, unlike the first film where the side characters took a seat to the more interesting Katniss.

Overall “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is a great follow up to “The Hunger Games.” Everything is better from directing to writing to the use of music. It really expands on the universe and sets itself up for the next two films. The stakes are higher and there are a lot more to care about. I give it 4.5/5, a great sequel that builds up on the original to deliver a really great cinematic experience.
  22. Nov 22, 2013
    One could be forgiven for thinking that, after the original film, this second installment would disintegrate into repetition and boredom as is often the case with sequels. Happily this is not so, for whilst it may follow the same narrative formula as before this is turning into a franchise of real quality. It's definitely not just another popcorn movie but is a very accomplished piece ofOne could be forgiven for thinking that, after the original film, this second installment would disintegrate into repetition and boredom as is often the case with sequels. Happily this is not so, for whilst it may follow the same narrative formula as before this is turning into a franchise of real quality. It's definitely not just another popcorn movie but is a very accomplished piece of film making in its own right. The setting and costumes continue to be very imaginative. It has a good story enhanced by tight editing keeping the whole thing extremely tense and compelling, and the effects are special. It has to be said that Jennifer Lawrence is turning out to be a great asset for the series and after this one I'm now anticipating the third with some eagerness. Expand
  23. Nov 22, 2013
    This is a fantastic film even better than the first. The dark tones mixed with the perfect amount of humor mixed with top notch acting makes this one of the best films of the year. A
  24. Nov 22, 2013
    In comparison to its predecessor, I won't say that "Catching Fire" disappoints, but it did not really go as tremendous as I thought it was going to be. The first hour, for me, was a bit too slow-paced, but it gets way better right after the moment Katniss stood up for Gale over the Peacekeeper Commander. What I love the most is the portrayal of Johanna Mason by Jena Malone and FinnickIn comparison to its predecessor, I won't say that "Catching Fire" disappoints, but it did not really go as tremendous as I thought it was going to be. The first hour, for me, was a bit too slow-paced, but it gets way better right after the moment Katniss stood up for Gale over the Peacekeeper Commander. What I love the most is the portrayal of Johanna Mason by Jena Malone and Finnick Odair by Sam Caiflin. I honestly didn't expect it from them both. Overall, Catching Fire is a good sequel, but not flawless. The ending hits just right because it makes you feel you want the next movie right at that second. Expand
  25. Nov 24, 2013
    Not having read the book, I'm sure fanboy/girls are whining about what they left out. Not all of us have time to nerd out and read all the books. That being said, I really enjoyed the movie! With one more book left being split into two, which makes sense(more money) I was entertained! The acting was solid special effects, and drama excellent! Go!
  26. Nov 28, 2013
    It's kind of hard to compare Catching FIre to its predecessor without talking about the books. I can say right now that as a movie, Catching Fire is noticeably superior to the Hunger Games, but i'm not sure what to credit that to, an overall better job on moviemaking or just the fact that it's based on a better book. Regardless, this film is significantly more entertaining than theIt's kind of hard to compare Catching FIre to its predecessor without talking about the books. I can say right now that as a movie, Catching Fire is noticeably superior to the Hunger Games, but i'm not sure what to credit that to, an overall better job on moviemaking or just the fact that it's based on a better book. Regardless, this film is significantly more entertaining than the original. It takes a look at the bigger picture of the story. It's no longer about the Hunger games, but the corrupt government that's about to face a revolution and all of the politics in between. It may not be perfect, but it's a fun and exciting movie with strong characters and an interesting story, and it's definitely worth more than one viewing. Expand
  27. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching Fire may have The Hunger Games title attached to it, but this is a much more personal film that opts to expand on the lore of Panem and consequences of the predecessor film, while simultaneously upping the stakes in every conceivable way for what is sure to be a crowd pleasing trilogy capping two-parter. Not only is Catching Fire smart, stylistically entertaining, brilliantlyCatching Fire may have The Hunger Games title attached to it, but this is a much more personal film that opts to expand on the lore of Panem and consequences of the predecessor film, while simultaneously upping the stakes in every conceivable way for what is sure to be a crowd pleasing trilogy capping two-parter. Not only is Catching Fire smart, stylistically entertaining, brilliantly acted, and socially relevant, it manages to avoid coming across as 2 and a half hours of filler for an epic trilogy. That test is reserved for Mockingjay Part 1. Expand
  28. Nov 22, 2013
    One of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time, especially after having read the books three times each. The movie nails all main points from the book and even some of the smaller ones. I don't see how someone could rate this movie negatively, even if it isn't their type of movie.
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    The hunger games catching fire is an amazing movie with high intense action in quarter quell and a love triangle between Latinas peeta and Gale. The movie is by far better than the first one and the first one wasn't bad at all. A must see film.
  30. Feb 2, 2014
    Great adaptation of the the world famous teen lit, more so thanks to another great performance by Jennifer Lawrence. The second half went into the same motions, with another dip into the 'arena' but for the first half of the film, we see the start of the rebellion and a surprisingly insightful view of 'heroes' and 'symbols' in such social revolutions.
  31. Nov 23, 2013
    "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is absolutely fantastic. It's brilliantly acted, powerful, emotional and much more ferociously intense than the first. The directing is smooth, more thought-provoking than the first, and is very faithful to the book. Anyone who loved the first cannot miss out this excellent sequel.
  32. Nov 22, 2013
    Outstanding! I love the books and I love this movie! Jennifer Lawrence brought it, as well as Woody, Donald Sutherland, Phillip Seymor Hoffman, Sam Caflin, and Josh Hutcherson. Although, the person who really stole the show was Jenna Malone as Johanna! She was fantastic! I can't wait to go see it again!
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    All aspects of the movie completely improve upon the first film. Once again Jennifer Lawrence's flawless performance captures the whole film and leaves me wanting the next installment.
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    Catching Fire got me, I liked it A LOT. But Peeta and Katness love story is kind of boring, except for the part that isn't real, that one is really cool. The movie is good, not awesome.
  35. Nov 24, 2013
    A good sequel to one of the most beloved franchises of books and now movies. (I didn't read the books)
    I truly loved the first one. It was a very different experience I had at the movies and I won't ever forget it. After the end, I couldn't wait to see the sequel. I was highly anticipating it for the upcoming year and I couldn't wait to see it.
    First off, with the negatives. I felt
    First off, with the negatives. I felt disappointed though towards the end. The fast-paced scenes that were sometimes filler just felt random and out of the ordinary. On top of that, their were many instances in which I felt why a character would change for just a random reason without thinking. Like it didn't make sense. Such as the part on which the leader of the soldiers when they enter District 12, didn't even know who Katniss and Peeta were upon his arrival. Instead, he just seems as if they aren't big at all. It felt strange these parts that really didn't drag me into the world of the ex-US. Some of the writing was very cheesy and stupid but I quickly forgave these parts for the reasons in which these movies are so popular.
    The characters are a huge part for me in any story. The new and old characters felt stronger than they were before. The writing was on par mostly. The scenary and environment looked fantastic and had that feel of actually what it would look like. The rebellion scenes and the brainwashing government really had me captivated. The action was thrilling and impossible to guess how the story would go throughout the whole movie. It is the definition of a blockbuster hit most of the time. The thing that really got me was the acting of Jennifer Lawrence. She steals the show yet again on top of President Snow who you could never really guess the next trick he was going to pull out.
    So in the end, Catching Fire wasn't as strong as the first one but was a blockbluster hit that everyone should at least watch.
  36. Sep 28, 2014
    I don't think a movie aimed for teenage girls can be any better. In this view, 10/10 is deserved. But as an actual film, 7 seems fair to me. Maybe even 8.
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    The movie is only decent. The casts are ridiculously different from the novel ones and Francis Lawnrence fails to bring the thrill of the original novel. Still fun and worth the money if you enjoyed the novel
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    This new installment in the Hunger Games saga volunteers itself as tribute to excellent pace, drama and ingenuity. My experience with the film left me thinking I really knew Catniss and the world around her. This film also has a rare feature in that it speaks to almost all audiences with an emotional resonance not seen in most major motion pictures. The beginning and middle of the film,This new installment in the Hunger Games saga volunteers itself as tribute to excellent pace, drama and ingenuity. My experience with the film left me thinking I really knew Catniss and the world around her. This film also has a rare feature in that it speaks to almost all audiences with an emotional resonance not seen in most major motion pictures. The beginning and middle of the film, which do not take place in a fantastically designed and imagined Hunger Games arena are somehow far more emotionally engrossing than the conclusion of the film, which still held to a high standard of pace and drama.

While I did not read the book, I found the story of this film fairly taught and thought out. The characters were far above expectations, even the new faces and the special effects and CGI of the film gave it an excitement and drive rare in movies like this. Catching Fire is red hot.
  39. Feb 2, 2014
    First thing I noticed about this film from its previous film is that Gary Ross did not direct this film, so it's obvious that we would see lots and lots of changes. The first change was the setting, in the first film District 12 was not so modern it seemed like District 12 was only couple of wooden houses and probably the only stone building was the Cathedral, but in the second filmFirst thing I noticed about this film from its previous film is that Gary Ross did not direct this film, so it's obvious that we would see lots and lots of changes. The first change was the setting, in the first film District 12 was not so modern it seemed like District 12 was only couple of wooden houses and probably the only stone building was the Cathedral, but in the second film District 12 was mostly of stone houses and buildings. The other thing I noticed but doesn't make sense is that "How is it possible for the game makers to see every little thing without a camera?".

In the book the twist in the story was smooth and elegantly said but in the film it wasn't. One scene the game maker is with President Snow and the very next scene he is in the hover craft with Haymitch and people.

I give 7 because I was impressed by the graphics and the overall flow of the film, I feel this could have been better with some logic. I wish the new directer keeps the flow and consistency the same with the up coming once.

Overall it was a great entertainer and was not as gore as the previous one. I say it wasn't a waste of time and effort.
  40. Jwv
    Jan 28, 2014
    From the very start, you can see that Catching Fire is a much bigger production than The Hunger Games. It's a good thing the movie elaborates more on the relationship between Katniss and Prim, because we finally get to see some real feeling behind Katniss' motive, which is a thing that the book lacked. Secondly, I also like how the movie elaborates on the precarious situation the presidentFrom the very start, you can see that Catching Fire is a much bigger production than The Hunger Games. It's a good thing the movie elaborates more on the relationship between Katniss and Prim, because we finally get to see some real feeling behind Katniss' motive, which is a thing that the book lacked. Secondly, I also like how the movie elaborates on the precarious situation the president Snow is in, and how he copes with it. The movie does succeed in portraying an exotic lethal and especially dynamic arena, featuring great special effects, decors and non-stop action. The acting is good overall, although the two TV-commentators are amazingly flat characters, firing off meaningless and dull one-liners and acting ostentatiously. These are not the characters that Collins creates in the book that I criticize however, but the actual clumsiness by which the movie handles them. Actually every public appearance or speech of any kind is very empty of meaning and substance. In a repressive system where twelve districts are controlled (against their will) by a totalitarian regime, the power of propaganda should extend beyond the TV-set. What I mean is that not only the repetition of visual display of power is enough to sketch a believable world. The power of rhetoric is nowhere to be seen, which is a shame.

The movie does in certain ways improve over the book (ie. providing different points of focalization) and it does a great job in compacting the book into a consistent two hour movie.
  41. Nov 17, 2014
    Usually when I watch a film adaptation of a book I find it hard to enjoy it. I’ve read the source material and am often comparing it to the book. Maybe it’s the fact that the book isn’t as fresh in my mind as with other film adaptations of books, maybe it’s the fact that the filmmakers actually cared about making a good movie, or maybe its both but this is one of those rare moments where IUsually when I watch a film adaptation of a book I find it hard to enjoy it. I’ve read the source material and am often comparing it to the book. Maybe it’s the fact that the book isn’t as fresh in my mind as with other film adaptations of books, maybe it’s the fact that the filmmakers actually cared about making a good movie, or maybe its both but this is one of those rare moments where I really enjoyed the adaptation. Often in Hollywood the adaptation is either an massively trimmed down version of the story (ex. the later Harry Potter films and Ender’s Game) or excessive padding (ex. The Hobbit films) so it is nice to see a film that does it right. Not only is Catching Fire a really good adaptation of a pretty solid book and in doing so creates a far superior sequel that serves as The Empire Strikes Back of the franchise (although Empire Strikes Back is in a whole different ball game). Even though by the time I’ve written this review the film has been out for almost a year this is a must watch for Hunger Games fans (both of the book and the film). Fans will be delighted to see a faithful adaptation of the book that hits most of the key points and for the most part is the book they remember (with some exceptions but nothing too distracting or annoying). The story covers most of the key moments and doesn’t gloss over too much, the characters are given time to breath and are well acted, and the direction is far superior to its predecessor. Catching Fire is one of those rare sequels that is better than its predecessor and one of those rare film adaptations of books that does its job well. With the franchise having two good films under its belt I worry about Mockingjay. With the third book being my least favorite this could be to Hunger Games what Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3: The Last Stand, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End where to their franchise the threequel that ruined everything. It doesn’t help that is being split into two films. For now lets enjoy the middle installment, which will probably be remembered as the best of the franchise and good film in its own right. If you love the book and are worried this film will ruin it don’t this franchise is in good hands shame I can’t say the same for the Hobbit films. Expand
  42. Dec 16, 2013
    Definitely the best action movie of the year, its subtle traps in ecstasy voltage, Jennifer Lawrence is doing very well and every time convincing me more as an actress. We definitely expect a splendid party culminated last one of the better designed trilogies century.
  43. Feb 13, 2014
    A major improvement over the first installment. It has a better plot, better twists, more action, and more drama. Above all, it delves more into the setting in which the story takes place, as well the themes behind the story itself.

It also retains the aspects of the first movie, like the great performances by Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson, while adding new just-as-great ones, most notably the late Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jena Malone. The directing is also very very good.

Very glad to have watched this movie, especially that i wasn't very satisfied with its predecessor. Looking forward to Mockingjay.
  44. Mar 20, 2014
    A wonderful thrill ride of a sequel that vastly improves the first film in every way! As a reader of the book, I'm proud to say I really enjoyed this. Bring on Mockingjay Part 1!
  45. Jan 8, 2014
    At the end of the first Hunger Games, we thought we could relax because our two heroes had won the games and managed to finagle their way out of having to decide which one would kill whom. Their threat to commit a double suicide rather than fight each other had led to the games being closed with two winners instead of only one, forcing the director of the games to commit hari-kari to saveAt the end of the first Hunger Games, we thought we could relax because our two heroes had won the games and managed to finagle their way out of having to decide which one would kill whom. Their threat to commit a double suicide rather than fight each other had led to the games being closed with two winners instead of only one, forcing the director of the games to commit hari-kari to save face. Now the two lovers are back in District 12, and their mandate is to tour all the districts to promote the 75th Hunger Games. However, the Nazi-like President Snow, played by Donald Sutherland, is getting restless and worried—Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) has become a symbol for the revolutionary spirit in Panem.

Katniss's mockingjay pin has been adopted as the mark of the revolution, and the three-finger salute, the symbol of solidarity, is often raised in her presence. Snow wants her dead, but he fears her enough that he cannot kill her outright. Instead, he announces that the 75th year is a good excuse for a quarter-quell game, where the winners from all the previous 24 years will reunite and once again, fight to the death until there is only one man, or woman, standing. As Johanna Mason (Jena Malone) from District 7 notes, the players thought that after they won the game for their year, they would be rich and safe for life, and instead they have to go through the harrowing experience all over again. Ditto for the audience; it’s emotionally exhausting to have to go through the games all over again.

This time the simulated reality includes poisonous fog, murderous monkeys, and bloody rain. The new games director, Plutarch Heavensbee (played by Philip Seymour Hoffman), seems to be keen on achieving Snow’s wish to make sure that Katniss is killed during the games. But the plot emphasis in Hunger Games 2 is not the games, even though they are revisited and are almost as unnerving as ever. In Part 2 of the Hunger Games, it is the revolutionary spirit of the people that is the main thrust of the film. President Snow is correct in his assessment that Katniss is a symbolic force to be reckoned with; the people are rallying around her, and the revolution is rumbling.

The love story between Katniss and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) is at first dismissed as an act that the two devised as a sort of reality television show. Back in District 12, Katniss continues to pursue her amorous bond with Gale Hawthorne, played by Liam Hemsworth, her true love. But there is a twist in the plot when Katniss and Peeta reunite as an affianced couple who may end up having to kill each other at the end of the games. This time the romantic act becomes real.

Hunger Games is a trilogy, and thus the open-ended finale to this film was unavoidable as we are obliged to wait for Act 3 to finish the story. However, the original Hunger Games did a better job of providing both a satisfactory ending and a lead-in to the next installment, whereas Hunger Games 2 seems to end, quite literally, in mid-air. The performances are strong and the sets are lavish, but much of the plot interest has been generated by the excellence of Part 1, whose mythic ambiance continues to enthrall. The Day of the Revolution is an interesting dystopian theme for Part 2, but the tension of the revolutionary idealism has been somewhat subdued in favor of the repetition of the games, which in this film are not quite as daring, intense, or as purposeful as the first time around. Nevertheless, the themes of social injustice are well executed once again—including the dictatorial suppression of civil liberties, the unacceptable distribution of wealth, and the insanity displayed by the bizarre fashion, make-up, and hairstyles of the extravagantly and absurdly rich.
  46. Apr 16, 2014
    Besides from having some dull performances from some supporting cast members, having some unrealistic life-saving coincidences and the occasional lack of logic, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is better than its great predecessor, proving to be bigger and more thrilling and providing a powerhouse performance by Jennifer Lawrence and a fabulous performance by Stanley Tucci. A rare sequelBesides from having some dull performances from some supporting cast members, having some unrealistic life-saving coincidences and the occasional lack of logic, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is better than its great predecessor, proving to be bigger and more thrilling and providing a powerhouse performance by Jennifer Lawrence and a fabulous performance by Stanley Tucci. A rare sequel that surpasses it's predecessor, albeit not having the emotional impact of the original. Expand
  47. Jan 1, 2014
    Much better than the first movie and I really enjoyed that one. Unlike the Hobbit that is also showing at this time this movie follows the book fairly closely. I just re-read the series a few months ago knowing that this movie was coming out. I think that the special effects were well done and the acting was above average. I look forward to the third book part one?!
  48. Jun 13, 2014
    It kept me excited but also provided food for thought. I love how the whole of it reflects back on the viewer... we witness first-hand how seductively entertaining a show like Hunger Games would be. But while watching the show, we get the benefit of seeing through the lies and peaking into the backstage drama, which has more depth in this sequel. The ending surprised me. Recommended!
  49. Apr 3, 2014
    Catching fire is a movie based on the second book of the hunger games trilogy.
    It actually managed to stay true to the source material even though it could be difficult to follow for newcomers. Some cuts had to be made in order to fit in the movie-time vs book-time but they do not harm the story flow.
    Catching fire is a movie based on the second book of the hunger games trilogy.
    Katniss Everdeen is the main character, surviving the first deadly edition of the hunger games and now trying to find a way to elaborate what happened to her while trying to move on with her life.
    What she doesn't know is that her actions are inspiring a revolt in the whole world, so she must decide if obeying the capitol rules or be the "mockingjay" and be the embodyment of the spark of the rebellion.
    The story is captivating from start to finish, new additions to the cast are welcome and well rounded enough to be likable and relatable.
    Main problem is that it ends on a big cliffhanger wich will see its resolutions in the two upcoming films.
  50. Apr 11, 2014
    I like science fiction. I like post apocalyptic stories. I like dystopian stories. I like smart original stories. I like the Hunger Games. It's a fine story about an Atheist utopia where everyone's happy and peaceful and life is good without gawd.
  51. Aug 21, 2015
    Without trying to over-hype the movie I would like to say this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I would stress that you should watch the first movie before this one, otherwise it will not be nearly as good.

Pros: Switches traditional gender roles World building Extremely exciting story developments Cons: Some sections of the story seem rushed, though this is a typical

Pros:
    Switches traditional gender roles
    World building
    Extremely exciting story developments

Cons:
    Some sections of the story seem rushed, though this is a typical issue when converting a book to a movie. This is less of an issue that it was in the first movie.
    The amount of people left at any given time is not stated as often as it should
    There is more of a natural disaster approach to the deaths than conflict between people like the first one. I find the latter more interesting.
  52. May 19, 2015
    Although a very entertaining The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is not as exciting of a return to the world of the Hunger Games as one would like. A large flaw, like in the original film, is that the directing and writing seems to be centered around maintaining a PG-13 rating. However the movie is still solid and continues to have great acting jobs by the entire cast, and keeps the viewAlthough a very entertaining The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is not as exciting of a return to the world of the Hunger Games as one would like. A large flaw, like in the original film, is that the directing and writing seems to be centered around maintaining a PG-13 rating. However the movie is still solid and continues to have great acting jobs by the entire cast, and keeps the view excited to see the next installation in the series. Expand
  53. Dec 20, 2014
    Absolute perfection.Best of its series, best of its genre, beyond science fiction and adventure, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a thrilling dark drama.
  54. May 29, 2014
    Once again I liked the pre-games dystopian sequences, but this times the games were more intense and the whole story becomes more complex. I like the fact that the plot moves from hunger games to revolution. Overall, this part is slightly better than the first movie.
  55. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Making comparisons, it’s undeniable that “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” has overcome the first film of several possible ways. It is by far the best movie adaptation I’ve ever watched. Director Francis Lawrence (who thankfully also took charge of the two parts of “Mockingjay”) followed to the letter the most important events of the book. I believe that if Francis would've taken the whole saga, the first film would be even more rewarding for all of us.

The implementation of the scenes of the tour, followed by the act of the Peacemakers’ violence in District 12 (Gale can say so!), Katniss finding out she has to return to the arena, the training, the scenes inside the arena, with the fog, the monkey mutts, and the jabberjays (I loved that scene). I just can’t describe how amazing this movie is.
  56. Aug 23, 2014
    This was definitely a step up from the first Hunger games. It gets deeper into whats going on outside of the games and that caught my interest. The ending makes you me believe the next one will be a step even better.
  57. Nov 24, 2013
    It may be decidedly more grave than expected, but with such sobering thematic elements in play, the gravity is just the point. "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is a thrilling, brilliant, and carefully acted sociopolitical sci-fi action epic.
  58. Feb 10, 2014
    The second instalment has more drama, conflict, engaging characters, and a vicious arena. A way is found to return the champions to the battlefield. But nothing is really what it seems to be. There are layers under which the different characters are working.

Catching Fire takes the conflict steadily away from being everything about who survives in the arena to the larger issue, which is the tyranny of the Capitol. Katniss, for the sake of the audience, doesn't know much about what is being plotted in secret, mainly because she isn't the most discrete and patient of people.

Gale Hawthorne is developed further before the focus once again returns to Katniss and Peeta. Both of them must form alliances if they hope to have one of them survive. Finnick and Johanna breathe some life into an otherwise stagnant narrative. They are both cocky and witty and peculiar, and talented in the art of killing. Beetee is skilled with the use of electricity. Haymitch is much more cunning and resolved this time around. He seems to have a purpose he is keeping from both Katniss and Peeta.

President Snow wants Katniss to make the people of the districts believe that it was true love that made her want to eat the berries alongwith Peeta at the end of their previous expedition into the arena. People are taking her deathwish for a display of defiance. For her part she wants to cooperate so they would leave her and her family in peace. She just wants to live the rest of her life recovering from the mental damage she has suffered from killing all those people. But it isn't working and Snow finds another way for quelling the hopes of the inhabitants of the districts.

Hoffman plays the new gamemaker hired by Snow. He is tasked with arranging Katniss's death so the whole issue about the mockingjay would go away. He lives up to his name in his last performance of his life. Sadly we won't be able to see his character in the next two instalments.

The stakes are higher than the lives of both the characters. It is freedom that is the goal here and the movie ends in a way which would leave the viewers in no doubt about where the story is headed. The promise is large and I hope that they deliver. I know the last book was a bit underwhelming, so some modifications would have to be made to keep the following two sequels interesting. The theme discussed is the same as before_ human suffering though poverty, hunger, war and persecution.

They did everything they could have with this instalment. The budget was bigger. The set design, visual effects, costumes and weapons more impressive. But the reason the movie succeeds is they also went bigger with the characters. They felt more lively and real. If this instalment is any indication, the next two films are going to earn huge sums of money too. Catching Fire has turned the franchise very lucrative.

9.5
  59. Feb 7, 2014
    Whatever you say I am not a big fan of this franchise. I did not like much the first installment other than a decent entertainment. So this was another 'let it go' movie from me. But when the time came to see it, I was a little surprised of being better than the first. The second hour was good and before one was a mild slow. The real interest is the, follow-up movies from here on. The endWhatever you say I am not a big fan of this franchise. I did not like much the first installment other than a decent entertainment. So this was another 'let it go' movie from me. But when the time came to see it, I was a little surprised of being better than the first. The second hour was good and before one was a mild slow. The real interest is the, follow-up movies from here on. The end of this part created a curiosity for the next movies of the series. Looks like it would be very interesting with big changes in story than first two.

The movie series supposed to be a trilogy, but you know it tasted big commercial success that mean big buck in filmmakers pocket. In 2013 this movie was the highest gross from north America. So like 'Deathly Hollows' and 'Breaking Dawn' this franchise following the same path by breaking the third volume into two. Whatever, I am expecting the third and the fourth movies 'Mockingjay part I and II' would have more exciting than previous movies with many twists and turns.

It was so sad to hear about Philip Seymour's sudden tragic demise. His best parts are yet to come in the next movies of the movie series. The franchise told they wrapped most of his portions of the last two volumes and now they decided to make minor changes in his character. That's good to hear, hope he it will be an unforgettable show from the great actor.

The end scene before the credits roll the logo of 'Catching Fire' changes into 'Mockingjay'. It was awesome, I just sensed some great is ahead. So like teenagers, it interested me and created curiosity. Looks like I got reason to watch 'Mockingjay' movies.

7.5/10
  60. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching Fire is a massive improvement over The Hunger Games in every way. It is shot and directed better on the whole, the action is clearer and the acting is much improved. The Spectacular Now is my favorite movie of the year, but this is a damn close second and still a 10.
  61. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching fire knocks the original off the podium. Two things that need to be mentioned. 1. The visual effects were stunning. & 2. The actors. So many great names in this film! Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymor Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, and Jennifer Lawrence. So good, a great ensemble. That being said, I felt like there wasn't much excitement. As well as there wasn't much of Caeser.Catching fire knocks the original off the podium. Two things that need to be mentioned. 1. The visual effects were stunning. & 2. The actors. So many great names in this film! Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymor Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, and Jennifer Lawrence. So good, a great ensemble. That being said, I felt like there wasn't much excitement. As well as there wasn't much of Caeser. (The talk show host)
    None the less. I would go see it in theatres for he effects. Can't wait for the next two films.
  62. Jun 11, 2014
    First of all I'd like to start out saying that I think this second one was better than the first. What amazes me the most about this is that the movie/story/book/author/director were able to keep the whole series going with this book. Them thinking of a way to keep it going in such a clever fashion amazes me. This I think is better than the first because not only did it portray the storyFirst of all I'd like to start out saying that I think this second one was better than the first. What amazes me the most about this is that the movie/story/book/author/director were able to keep the whole series going with this book. Them thinking of a way to keep it going in such a clever fashion amazes me. This I think is better than the first because not only did it portray the story better but it did it in a way that gets me excited and suspended. Movie over book, but only for this second one, catching fire, for the first it would have had to be a whole different conversation. Expand
  63. Nov 24, 2013
    There are not many surprises in "Catching Fire", the second in the Hunger Games trilogy, and that's good because it means the usual stellar acting of Jennifer Lawrence, maybe the best actress in Hollywood today, supported by a fine cast, with Donald Sutherland getting a more pronounced role as the evil President Snow. He truly casts a menacing shadow over the movie, just like in theThere are not many surprises in "Catching Fire", the second in the Hunger Games trilogy, and that's good because it means the usual stellar acting of Jennifer Lawrence, maybe the best actress in Hollywood today, supported by a fine cast, with Donald Sutherland getting a more pronounced role as the evil President Snow. He truly casts a menacing shadow over the movie, just like in the book.
    What that means is that those who normally prefer books to movie adaptations will be again pleased to see that "Catching Fire" does follow the book very closely. Jennifer Lawrence shows herself to be remarkably versatile and approachable. When in a few scenes she becomes very upset, you have no trouble believing her grief, so believable her performance. I predict a long and brilliant career for her.
    The effects are great, the settings brilliant. Even for those who read the entire trilogy, one is already eagerly awaiting the final chapter "Mockingjay", that, like the first two installments, will have movie goers lined up outside their favorite theaters like no other movie has done in recent memory.
  64. Jan 18, 2014
    The Hunger Games is now a powerhouse to behold. With Jennifer Lawrence's new found talent in brilliant acting she can hold this film on her back, and make the franchise as good as the books. Catching Fire was probably one of the most vital books in the trilogy and this movie holds up well. The new director change caused for a more balanced and thought out film. Jennifer shows that shes notThe Hunger Games is now a powerhouse to behold. With Jennifer Lawrence's new found talent in brilliant acting she can hold this film on her back, and make the franchise as good as the books. Catching Fire was probably one of the most vital books in the trilogy and this movie holds up well. The new director change caused for a more balanced and thought out film. Jennifer shows that shes not another bland Kirsten Stewart and she will need to grow on this in the coming films. 8/10 Great. Expand
  65. Apr 19, 2014
    Catching Fire has improved significantly upon the original Hunger Games film. Now we are presented with less shaky cam and more depth. However, the ending is still too deus-ex-machina-esque...
  66. Feb 9, 2014
    A hell of improvement since the last movie, but it still got a boring start & a low tempo, as the previous movie had. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire got a beautiful story, and the movie itself is very well made and it got some interesting and cool stuffs that you haven't seen in movies before, and the actors couldn't have been more awesome actually, and I really admire Donald Sutherland &A hell of improvement since the last movie, but it still got a boring start & a low tempo, as the previous movie had. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire got a beautiful story, and the movie itself is very well made and it got some interesting and cool stuffs that you haven't seen in movies before, and the actors couldn't have been more awesome actually, and I really admire Donald Sutherland & Philip Seymour Hoffman's spectacular performance in this movie, but I also love the drama in this movie!

The bad thing about Catching Fire is the beginning, it wasn't unique at any way, a little boring & lengthy actually, and it continued to be lengthy for about one hour, until more things started to happen. The ending was beautiful and unique, but I felt that something really was missing in the ending, and it was quite stupid.
    My conclusion of Catching Fire is that it's a beautiful movie, but it got many deficiencies, such as the opening scene, the tempo, lack of action & that the movie is a little boring at some places, and I think that they could have done much more in this movie! The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is watchable, but it might not be recommended for those who likes movies with action, but it's a great movie overall.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 7/10
  67. Jan 24, 2014
    I didn’t care for the first film but, at the behest of many friends and a girlfriend who loves the books, I gave this one a chance and actually found myself enjoying the experience. While I’m still not blown away by this franchise, I did think the story was much more interesting this time around and the introduction of new, more interesting characters, really helped get me into it.I didn’t care for the first film but, at the behest of many friends and a girlfriend who loves the books, I gave this one a chance and actually found myself enjoying the experience. While I’m still not blown away by this franchise, I did think the story was much more interesting this time around and the introduction of new, more interesting characters, really helped get me into it. Granted, I still have some issues like the action isn’t that satisfying, Hutcherson isn’t a very memorable actor (and it play havoc on his character) and a lot of Jennifer Lawrence’s performance came out like overacting to me BUT I still think it was a decent film. Expand
  68. May 12, 2014
    Well i finally got around to watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and i have to say that it was more entertaining then the first installment of the franchise. Sure i liked the first one but i felt it lacked in a few areas so that's why i ended up giving it only a 6.5 out of 10. This movie improves were The Hunger Games lacked the directing acting, action, plot, Special effect, allWell i finally got around to watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and i have to say that it was more entertaining then the first installment of the franchise. Sure i liked the first one but i felt it lacked in a few areas so that's why i ended up giving it only a 6.5 out of 10. This movie improves were The Hunger Games lacked the directing acting, action, plot, Special effect, all better in this one. Its always good when a sequel can out do its predecessor it gives you a sense that the later installments can only get better and were this movie is leading to its looking like its going to be that way.

Just like the first movie Catching Fire takes some time to get into the actual Hunger Games which i was a bit disappointed by but at least the first half was of the movie was more enjoyable this time around also its more so of a set up for things to come. Luckily the action scenes weren't in "shaky-cam" mode thanks to new director Francis Lawrence so we were finally able to see the kills something the first movie desperately needed. Still though the lack of action scenes was really disappointing i was hoping that there was going to be more of them especially because that was a big gripe for people with the first movie. The Fog scene was really cool but after hearing about the blood rain i wished we could have seen that.

The main cast was all good as before so nothing really to catch up on them with but i do have to say that i fell in love with Jena Malone's character Johanna Mason she was a awesome kickass chick cussing on camera and getting naked in front of Katniss, Haymitch, and Peeta she stole the show for me really. Sam Claflin as Finnick was also a nice surprise because i thought that he was going to be the big douche this time around but i was wrong. Now we come to the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman his part in the movie is great no doubt about that it just sucks that he wasnt in the film more but im glad to see that we are still yet to see the rest of him.

Overall i give it a 7.7 The end scene with Katniss crying then getting serious was awesome and definitely a great tone setter for the next movie.
  69. Nov 30, 2014
    This movie was a lot better than the first hunger games movie. it had a lot better plot than the first movie. They explained more, and it kept me entertained throughout the whole movie.
  70. Ed_
    Jun 11, 2014
    Briefly: waited for a movie like that one for a long time.

This Hunger Games film is much more about than killing. It's about love, deception, cruelty, politics, deception and humanity in a great mix. I'm extremely interested in politics and humanity, so this movie is absolutely for me. I enjoyed every minute of it. Actors are perfect, they know how and when they have to show emotions.
    Briefly: waited for a movie like that one for a long time.

Actors are perfect, they know how and when they have to show emotions.
    Effects are also enthralling.
    All in all, creators had a lot of work with this film but achieved an unbelievably incredible sequel.

Keep up the good work!
  71. Nov 23, 2014
    A little better than the previous Hunger Games, Catching Fire gets all of the YA movie ingredients right, and treats them with the maturity and development they deserve. The shaky cam and bad cinematography that hurt the first film is greatly improved here, making this one the best of the series so far.
  72. May 10, 2014
    very much darker than the last book and film director francis lawrence knew what to leave in the book it is impressively directed and wonderfully written by the creator of the dark world as well as great acting this is one film the cast and crew were very careful with
  73. Jan 22, 2014
    A pretty decent follow up to the original, with less 'tween-spirit' and more mature themes. Again we see a lot of young kids being killed without really caring about their characters, however it does leave me wanting to see more.
  74. Jan 15, 2014
    this is a great movie that i found followed the book pretty well, i found that it had a entertaining story and an ended the EXACT same way that the 2nd book ended. If you liked the first hunger games movie, you're gonna like this one.
  75. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When the first movie came out, I knew they would overhype them, and I didn't come out of the movie impressed, but neither was I disappointed. For this movie, I expected it to be about the same or less, as the 2nd book was my least favorite of the two.

Boy, was I wrong!

Things aren't well in the world of Katniss. She just wants to live, and that's about it. As a result, she never thinks about the significance of the actions that she makes. As a result, she now finds herself as the face of rebellion, and President Snow is none too happy. She must now act for the Capital or watch everyone she loves die because of her actions in the first movie.

The movie does a magnificent job of showing how oblivious Katniss was to the problem's she created. Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job showing how aloof Katniss wanted to be in this whole affair as she slips into insanity. As Katniss comes to realize how shallow and pathetic is, she begins to realize how important Peeta is just like the books. The other character's in the cast developed appropriately, showing how Katniss' actions have changed their lives and shows the cruelty of the Capital and it's extravagances much better than the first movie.

The weakest part of the 2nd book, the Victory Tour wasn't rushed over, and that came to be a good thing. It allowed them to really emphasis the fact that her train ride is never ending, and that she will always suffer for her actions.

Surprisingly, the movie was quite funny as well. Caesar's infectious laugh had me going every time, and the nonchalance of the Capital culture to their own cruelty in their gaudy culture was emphasized more than the first, which made the situation of Katniss and her loved ones more significant.

The arena was very well done, and really helped give life to some things that I couldn't do with the arena she was left in. The movie did a better job, in my opinion, of grasping the tension in the arena that the book did.

All in all, an excellent movie and better than the first.
  76. Nov 24, 2013
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A movie for which the expectations are set high. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see it, after a long wait since part one. From the moment the movie started, till it's end, I was completely sucked into the movie. When it ended, I actually had to realise I was sitting in the cinema... From beginning till end, the movie is full of action, tension with aThe Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A movie for which the expectations are set high. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see it, after a long wait since part one. From the moment the movie started, till it's end, I was completely sucked into the movie. When it ended, I actually had to realise I was sitting in the cinema... From beginning till end, the movie is full of action, tension with a great story! I thought the movie had just begun when it actually ended.
    I think Jennifer Lawrence Josh Hutcherson and all of the cast created a masterpiece!
    In my opinion I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes action/scifi movies.
    As far as I know, I just can't wait until the 20th of november 2014 for the first part of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
  77. Dec 1, 2013
    Overall the Hunger Game:Catching Fire was great movie pleasing to watch at most part, with more action than first movie, many memorable scenes throughout (The scenery of jungle nice!)
    but-Note: some actors and actresses lack some chemistry and energy while acting out their parts.
  78. Jan 10, 2014
    While the first Hunger Games movie was a bit lackluster and disappointing, the 2nd film does justice to the book and the author. Jennifer Lawrence was a bit emotionless in the first film (although maybe Katniss really would've been like that), but she improves her acting for the second film. The other victors like Beetee, Finnick, and Johanna were great. (Johanna was especially funny!) TheWhile the first Hunger Games movie was a bit lackluster and disappointing, the 2nd film does justice to the book and the author. Jennifer Lawrence was a bit emotionless in the first film (although maybe Katniss really would've been like that), but she improves her acting for the second film. The other victors like Beetee, Finnick, and Johanna were great. (Johanna was especially funny!) The rest of cast is good too, even though I feel like characters such as Cinna and Prim weren't in the movie enough (but unfortunately you can't fit everything from the book into the movie). Besides the victors, the addition of Presidents Snow's granddaughter was a nice touch. Things from the book were adapted well for the movie, and to sum it all up this movie was really good. I can't wait for the next movie!

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 will be released November 2014 and Part 2 in 2015.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name, and please mark this review as helpful.
  79. Apr 12, 2014
    A young-adult franchise movie that reflects concretely the message from the book with an almost prefect performance from Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  80. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best movies of 2013 I think it is even better than gravity. The movie captures the world of the hunger games in an amazing way, and I loved every bit of the movie.
  81. Jan 1, 2014
    Far deeper in emotion and story than the first movie, and feels more interesting. There are politics involved and I loved the whole uprising, it feels like you're witnessing a revolution, some part of history.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 8.0/10
  82. Jan 2, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence is everything. She delivers a fantastic performance that makes the audience believe in her character's anger and vulnerability. Her acting has improved since the first movie and it truly makes this movie believable and better than the first one. There were some scenes that needed to be fixed, but it's not that big of a deal for this #1 action movie of 2013.
  83. Jan 20, 2014
    This movie isn't exactly what I thought it would be. It missed out on some major and small parts like the first movie. I understand that the movie has to fit into 1-2 hours, but at least try putting in more parts and a tad bit more action in this movie. The makeup and costumes were outstanding, but the movie in general?... I'd give this an 8.
  84. Jan 22, 2014
    This is one of those rare times when I have read the book and was pleased with the movie. The producers/directors did a fine job following the story and the actors did a great job making the characters true to form.

Loved this movie!
  85. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Spectacular!'' ''Knockout.'' ''Explosive!'' Jennifer Lawrence is fearless. The Hunger Games:Catching Fire will take your breath away. One of the Best adaptation of the book I've seen. One of the Best Achievement. Francis Lawrence gives a suspenseful action film, It leaves you wanting more.
  86. Feb 23, 2014
    It was really entertaining, Jennifer Lawrence is great in her role. Despite 2 hour long, it keeps you in expectation all the time. Definitely a must see
  87. May 2, 2014
    It is not very common that a sequel turns out to be better than the original, but somehow here's Catching Fire, with an awesome performance by Lawrence and better CGI that makes this movie an amazing experience.
  88. Nov 23, 2014
    Una película entretenida, que te deja con las ganas de ver "The Hunger Games: Mokingjay - Part 1", contiene una buena dirección artística, y el trabajo de Trish Summerville en el vestuario lo hace ser merecedor de no solo la nominación al Oscar si no también el galardón, esta película sin duda es una de las mejores del año, que en mi opinión, es mejor que "Gravity", y por mucho.
  89. Apr 14, 2014
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is definitely an improvement upon the first film. With a deeper emotional depth and a better look at the series themes, and let's not forget an amazing lead performance from Academy-Award-Winner: Jennifer Lawrence.
  90. Mar 28, 2014
    When I saw the first Hunger Games film, I enjoyed it but I went into it without reading the book at all. So I made sure that I read the books before the next film came out and I enjoyed the book enough to where I got really hyped for the Catching Fire movie and it was amazing!! I enjoyed this movie so much and it was a lot better than the first Hunger Games movie. It had some great dramaWhen I saw the first Hunger Games film, I enjoyed it but I went into it without reading the book at all. So I made sure that I read the books before the next film came out and I enjoyed the book enough to where I got really hyped for the Catching Fire movie and it was amazing!! I enjoyed this movie so much and it was a lot better than the first Hunger Games movie. It had some great drama and suspense to keep me captive around the action scenes. The locations were also cool and I liked that they seemed more open and fleshed out in this movie than the first film. The characters were good, the acting was good, everything in this film is great. This is a one of kind film that I think sci-fi and dystopia fans will really enjoy, even if they didn't read the book. Expand
  91. Apr 1, 2014
    Catching Fire tops it's predecessor in almost every way. The actors have grown more comfortable in their roles, as the acting has improved greatly. The special effects are far better than what we got the last time around. And Ceasar Flickerman is twenty times funnier. The first hour of the movie solely focuses on the political tensions of Panem, and it is very well done. I even got scaredCatching Fire tops it's predecessor in almost every way. The actors have grown more comfortable in their roles, as the acting has improved greatly. The special effects are far better than what we got the last time around. And Ceasar Flickerman is twenty times funnier. The first hour of the movie solely focuses on the political tensions of Panem, and it is very well done. I even got scared by President Snow. (Not to mention the Peacekeepers actually look intimidating now). We also get to know more about victors that have been reaped for the 75 Hunger Games. This is a nice change from what we got in the last movie, "Cato bad! Marvel bad! They big! Kill! Run!" When we get to the Games, the movie retains all of it's tension from earlier and adds a nice layer of action to top it off. And there's almost no shaky camera this time. The two Mockingjay sequels are going to have to work hard to not be overshadowed. Expand
  92. May 22, 2014
    This movie was 30% Train wreck. because when cattiness and peeta arrive in some other place, some guy got shot and I didn't know why? Now I know because they think he was causing trouble.
  93. Aug 28, 2015
    Good movie with great acting and excellent cinematography, and its themes are compelling. Could've been better, for sure, but this an otherwise emotionally resonant and an entertaining film that will appease fans of the novel source, as well as those who are unfamiliar with it.

Final Score: 7.5/10
  94. Jul 19, 2014
    Supera por mucho a la primera, posee unos mejores efectos visuales, un gran vestuario y maquillaje, aunque con un guión un tanto pobre, pero con actuaciones muy buenas, una magnifica dirección de Francis Lawrence, y es casi como si te leyeran el libro.
  95. Apr 18, 2014
    The first 30 minutes of this movie I was wondering whit was getting such high praise. And then it started to pickup and now I know why. Once the hunger games part started it was so good. And the ending was great. I cant wait for the next one to come out.
  96. Apr 20, 2014
    this is a great 2nd movie to the hunger games except it has a stupid ending which means i cant wait till the 1 st par of mocking jay (a 2 part 3rd movie for the hunger games) to come out in november 2014
  97. Aug 1, 2015
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the first film but have not read any of the books.

Premise: After wining the previous Hunger Games, Katniss is forced to enter the next one by the President, so she would be killed and the rebellion defeated. Pros: 1). This has a good story and good action. Cons: I 1). Though there are significant differences to the first film, it's not as

Pros:
    1). This has a good story and good action.

Cons: I
    1). Though there are significant differences to the first film, it's not as original as the first film.

Score: 4/5 (no half scores) - Good enough to pay to watch it in the cinema.

Who would be satisfied with this film? All Hunger Games fans, most teens and most adults.
  98. Jul 21, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is spectacular, the hunger games catching fire is much better than its predecessor, is visually beautiful, it is a glory to see, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is beautiful. THE HUNGER GAMES IS THE BEST YEAR EXPERIENCE. NO falls into clichés and stereotypes, is pure drama and action. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT SPECTACULAR OF THE WORD.
  99. Jul 28, 2014
    "Catching Fire" is a stunning improvement on its predecessor, undeniably more original and mature. The film at last deals with its dystopian premise, expressing points of view on several issues that have emerged in modern societies. Characters seem like they have grown up, and are ready to cope with the horror reality around them. I liked "Catching Fire" for not only condemning the"Catching Fire" is a stunning improvement on its predecessor, undeniably more original and mature. The film at last deals with its dystopian premise, expressing points of view on several issues that have emerged in modern societies. Characters seem like they have grown up, and are ready to cope with the horror reality around them. I liked "Catching Fire" for not only condemning the dystopian situation but also going on to overturn it. There are principles on how things happened in Panem established in the first film, that collapse here. Every aspect of the film feels better and more fresh, and, of course, its open-ended finale leads right to "Mockingjay". Expand
  100. Oct 15, 2014
    Oh my goodness, this continuation is awesome and I can't wait for the next. The performance of the Cast, mainly Jennifer and Josh was incredible and the romance between Katniss and Peeta came so much better than the first movie, It would be horrible if Peeta die. The story during the course of the movie go getting better and better until the epic end. The story isn't disappointing and theOh my goodness, this continuation is awesome and I can't wait for the next. The performance of the Cast, mainly Jennifer and Josh was incredible and the romance between Katniss and Peeta came so much better than the first movie, It would be horrible if Peeta die. The story during the course of the movie go getting better and better until the epic end. The story isn't disappointing and the acting scenes is very good. I can't think in something that I would change. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 25, 2013
    Yet, despite the good acting, the middle section of the film, set at the Capitol, is attenuated and rhythmless — the filmmakers seem to be touching all the bases so that the trilogy’s readers won’t miss anything.
  2. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Nov 22, 2013
    With each on-screen chapter, the poor girl from District 12 continues to fulfill her destiny as an inspiration and a rebel fighter. She is but one female, but she's the perfect antidote to the surplus of male superheroes out there.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Everything that felt clumsy in The Hunger Games has been improved upon here. That's most apparent in the clarity of the action, but it also extends to how efficiently the film establishes so many new ensemble members.