7.9

1. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching Fire is a massive improvement over The Hunger Games in every way. It is shot and directed better on the whole, the action is clearer and the acting is much improved. The Spectacular Now is my favorite movie of the year, but this is a damn close second and still a 10.
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    My first guess is Jennifer Lawrence is regretting having signed the contract for these films now, as we've seen her in much better characters in Silver Linings and American Hustle, where she really had an opportunity to show how much she's good.

The film wants you to be concerned with Panem's troubles, but you just can't get involved. The advantage of the first one was that the Games themselves were crude and you didn't know what to expect, but in this one you know how it all will go already and you fail to be transported in the tributes' shoes. As for the ending, it was a crystal clear sign that this is just a transition film, a lot like The Two Towers was. My suggestion to filmmakers is to stop splitting films and make a very long one, be it 7 hours.

Just poor, not worth the money or the time, not interesting, not involving.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching fire knocks the original off the podium. Two things that need to be mentioned. 1. The visual effects were stunning. & 2. The actors. So many great names in this film! Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymor Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, and Jennifer Lawrence. So good, a great ensemble. That being said, I felt like there wasn't much excitement. As well as there wasn't much of Caeser.Catching fire knocks the original off the podium. Two things that need to be mentioned. 1. The visual effects were stunning. & 2. The actors. So many great names in this film! Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymor Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, and Jennifer Lawrence. So good, a great ensemble. That being said, I felt like there wasn't much excitement. As well as there wasn't much of Caeser. (The talk show host)
    None the less. I would go see it in theatres for he effects. Can't wait for the next two films.
  4. Jun 11, 2014
    First of all I'd like to start out saying that I think this second one was better than the first. What amazes me the most about this is that the movie/story/book/author/director were able to keep the whole series going with this book. Them thinking of a way to keep it going in such a clever fashion amazes me. This I think is better than the first because not only did it portray the storyFirst of all I'd like to start out saying that I think this second one was better than the first. What amazes me the most about this is that the movie/story/book/author/director were able to keep the whole series going with this book. Them thinking of a way to keep it going in such a clever fashion amazes me. This I think is better than the first because not only did it portray the story better but it did it in a way that gets me excited and suspended. Movie over book, but only for this second one, catching fire, for the first it would have had to be a whole different conversation. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2014
    I liked the original Hunger Games, but this second instalment was very disappointing. A lot of action at night, so we can't see what's happening. Too much of the movie was spent in the pre Hunger Games bit. The actual Hunger Games action seemed too fake. It was action for actions sake, with no continuity or reason. Talking about continuity - every time you see Catniss, she has a differentI liked the original Hunger Games, but this second instalment was very disappointing. A lot of action at night, so we can't see what's happening. Too much of the movie was spent in the pre Hunger Games bit. The actual Hunger Games action seemed too fake. It was action for actions sake, with no continuity or reason. Talking about continuity - every time you see Catniss, she has a different number of arrows in her quiver! Acid smoke that just stops, then magic water! Too ridiculous. I won't be watching the next instalment. Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2014
    Worse than the first one but still a decent movie. The first hour was interesting and really made you think but after that it turned into something everyone has already seen before. The game, not much different and not any better than the game in the first one. Visuals are great and Jennifer Lawrence as usual is wonderful but in the end it is slightly above average movie with an 62.6 out of 100.
  7. Feb 5, 2014
    Catching Fire is another prime example of how Hollywood can truly bring out the worst in an adaptation of an already mediocre piece of writing.

The story picks up a few months after the events of the original, with the lifeless Katniss Everdeen and laughably stupid Peeta Milark, continuing across the country on the victory tour of the previous Hunger Games. To think that they can now

To think that they can now label lead star Jennifer Lawrence as an Academy Award Winner is criminal to boot, but the fact that any merit could be sung to her appalling performance as Katniss, makes me question the very stability of peoples comprehension and/or impression of what quality writing and quality performances look like when they are melded into one.

It's hard to rely on the supporting cast, when the majority of the male roles are there just to make teen girls salivate, and the few female roles that are not Katniss are obviously there for pure sex appeal, to keep those teen girls teen boyfriends interested through this near two and a half hour excuse for a film.

Miraculously, the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman, with only about twenty minutes of screen time, offers salvation for every scene he appears in.

I've asked friends that loved the film, what did they actually love so much about it. One told me, that she LOVED the special effects.
    But in a year that has given us Gravity, I don't think a film like this can even be viewed as a success in the SFX department.
    Especially not with those bloody monkeys anyway…

There are a few slow pan shots at the beginning of the film that would make you think otherwise, but before you know it, we're back to obnoxious closeups with shaky-cam included.

As I have said before, upon reading the books, despite the poor writing, I would have been happy knowing that the targeted audience would be reading something which touches on some darker geopolitical messages that are not present in other acclaimed books for the age group.
    The fact is though, that no one cares about that when it comes to the big screen. No one's asking themselves the big questions like, "Is the Hunger Games something that can be justified at all?" or "Why do they doubt the perseverance of humanity?". No. The big question echoing around the theatre, is "OMG, who is hotter, Peeta or Gale? lol #whatahottie #teamGale"

A simply awful film.

A 3 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  8. Nov 24, 2013
    There are not many surprises in "Catching Fire", the second in the Hunger Games trilogy, and that's good because it means the usual stellar acting of Jennifer Lawrence, maybe the best actress in Hollywood today, supported by a fine cast, with Donald Sutherland getting a more pronounced role as the evil President Snow. He truly casts a menacing shadow over the movie, just like in theThere are not many surprises in "Catching Fire", the second in the Hunger Games trilogy, and that's good because it means the usual stellar acting of Jennifer Lawrence, maybe the best actress in Hollywood today, supported by a fine cast, with Donald Sutherland getting a more pronounced role as the evil President Snow. He truly casts a menacing shadow over the movie, just like in the book.
    What that means is that those who normally prefer books to movie adaptations will be again pleased to see that "Catching Fire" does follow the book very closely. Jennifer Lawrence shows herself to be remarkably versatile and approachable. When in a few scenes she becomes very upset, you have no trouble believing her grief, so believable her performance. I predict a long and brilliant career for her.
    The effects are great, the settings brilliant. Even for those who read the entire trilogy, one is already eagerly awaiting the final chapter "Mockingjay", that, like the first two installments, will have movie goers lined up outside their favorite theaters like no other movie has done in recent memory.
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    The Hunger Games is now a powerhouse to behold. With Jennifer Lawrence's new found talent in brilliant acting she can hold this film on her back, and make the franchise as good as the books. Catching Fire was probably one of the most vital books in the trilogy and this movie holds up well. The new director change caused for a more balanced and thought out film. Jennifer shows that shes notThe Hunger Games is now a powerhouse to behold. With Jennifer Lawrence's new found talent in brilliant acting she can hold this film on her back, and make the franchise as good as the books. Catching Fire was probably one of the most vital books in the trilogy and this movie holds up well. The new director change caused for a more balanced and thought out film. Jennifer shows that shes not another bland Kirsten Stewart and she will need to grow on this in the coming films. 8/10 Great. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2014
    Catching Fire has improved significantly upon the original Hunger Games film. Now we are presented with less shaky cam and more depth. However, the ending is still too deus-ex-machina-esque...
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    A hell of improvement since the last movie, but it still got a boring start & a low tempo, as the previous movie had. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire got a beautiful story, and the movie itself is very well made and it got some interesting and cool stuffs that you haven't seen in movies before, and the actors couldn't have been more awesome actually, and I really admire Donald Sutherland &A hell of improvement since the last movie, but it still got a boring start & a low tempo, as the previous movie had. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire got a beautiful story, and the movie itself is very well made and it got some interesting and cool stuffs that you haven't seen in movies before, and the actors couldn't have been more awesome actually, and I really admire Donald Sutherland & Philip Seymour Hoffman's spectacular performance in this movie, but I also love the drama in this movie!

The bad thing about Catching Fire is the beginning, it wasn't unique at any way, a little boring & lengthy actually, and it continued to be lengthy for about one hour, until more things started to happen. The ending was beautiful and unique, but I felt that something really was missing in the ending, and it was quite stupid.
    My conclusion of Catching Fire is that it's a beautiful movie, but it got many deficiencies, such as the opening scene, the tempo, lack of action & that the movie is a little boring at some places, and I think that they could have done much more in this movie! The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is watchable, but it might not be recommended for those who likes movies with action, but it's a great movie overall.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 7/10
  12. Jan 24, 2014
    I didn’t care for the first film but, at the behest of many friends and a girlfriend who loves the books, I gave this one a chance and actually found myself enjoying the experience. While I’m still not blown away by this franchise, I did think the story was much more interesting this time around and the introduction of new, more interesting characters, really helped get me into it.I didn’t care for the first film but, at the behest of many friends and a girlfriend who loves the books, I gave this one a chance and actually found myself enjoying the experience. While I’m still not blown away by this franchise, I did think the story was much more interesting this time around and the introduction of new, more interesting characters, really helped get me into it. Granted, I still have some issues like the action isn’t that satisfying, Hutcherson isn’t a very memorable actor (and it play havoc on his character) and a lot of Jennifer Lawrence’s performance came out like overacting to me BUT I still think it was a decent film. Expand
  13. May 12, 2014
    Well i finally got around to watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and i have to say that it was more entertaining then the first installment of the franchise. Sure i liked the first one but i felt it lacked in a few areas so that's why i ended up giving it only a 6.5 out of 10. This movie improves were The Hunger Games lacked the directing acting, action, plot, Special effect, allWell i finally got around to watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and i have to say that it was more entertaining then the first installment of the franchise. Sure i liked the first one but i felt it lacked in a few areas so that's why i ended up giving it only a 6.5 out of 10. This movie improves were The Hunger Games lacked the directing acting, action, plot, Special effect, all better in this one. Its always good when a sequel can out do its predecessor it gives you a sense that the later installments can only get better and were this movie is leading to its looking like its going to be that way.

Just like the first movie Catching Fire takes some time to get into the actual Hunger Games which i was a bit disappointed by but at least the first half was of the movie was more enjoyable this time around also its more so of a set up for things to come. Luckily the action scenes weren't in "shaky-cam" mode thanks to new director Francis Lawrence so we were finally able to see the kills something the first movie desperately needed. Still though the lack of action scenes was really disappointing i was hoping that there was going to be more of them especially because that was a big gripe for people with the first movie. The Fog scene was really cool but after hearing about the blood rain i wished we could have seen that.

The main cast was all good as before so nothing really to catch up on them with but i do have to say that i fell in love with Jena Malone's character Johanna Mason she was a awesome kickass chick cussing on camera and getting naked in front of Katniss, Haymitch, and Peeta she stole the show for me really. Sam Claflin as Finnick was also a nice surprise because i thought that he was going to be the big douche this time around but i was wrong. Now we come to the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman his part in the movie is great no doubt about that it just sucks that he wasnt in the film more but im glad to see that we are still yet to see the rest of him.

Overall i give it a 7.7 The end scene with Katniss crying then getting serious was awesome and definitely a great tone setter for the next movie.
  14. Nov 30, 2014
    This movie was a lot better than the first hunger games movie. it had a lot better plot than the first movie. They explained more, and it kept me entertained throughout the whole movie.
  15. Ed_
    Jun 11, 2014
    Briefly: waited for a movie like that one for a long time.

This Hunger Games film is much more about than killing. It's about love, deception, cruelty, politics, deception and humanity in a great mix. I'm extremely interested in politics and humanity, so this movie is absolutely for me. I enjoyed every minute of it. Actors are perfect, they know how and when they have to show emotions.
    Briefly: waited for a movie like that one for a long time.

Actors are perfect, they know how and when they have to show emotions.
    Effects are also enthralling.
    All in all, creators had a lot of work with this film but achieved an unbelievably incredible sequel.

Keep up the good work!
  16. Nov 23, 2014
    A little better than the previous Hunger Games, Catching Fire gets all of the YA movie ingredients right, and treats them with the maturity and development they deserve. The shaky cam and bad cinematography that hurt the first film is greatly improved here, making this one the best of the series so far.
  17. Feb 6, 2014
    Catching Fire is set a year after Katniss and Peeta survived the 74th Hunger Games; their actions in the Games sparked the fires of a rebellion throughout the districts. President Snow tries to quell the rebellion by using Katniss and Peeta and re-entering them in the 75th Hunger Games Anniversary alongside other veterans of the Hunger Games. Catching Fire has the premises of an amazing,Catching Fire is set a year after Katniss and Peeta survived the 74th Hunger Games; their actions in the Games sparked the fires of a rebellion throughout the districts. President Snow tries to quell the rebellion by using Katniss and Peeta and re-entering them in the 75th Hunger Games Anniversary alongside other veterans of the Hunger Games. Catching Fire has the premises of an amazing, dramatic and action-packed movie yet seems to fall flat when it’s meant to be at its best.

Don’t be mistaken, Catching Fire is not a bad movie and is a definite improvement over the Hunger Games. The larger budget and the directing skills of Francis Lawrence greatly improve the overall quality of acting and special effects seen in the movie. Yet dramatic moments such as the apparent deaths of a leading character is made stupid looking by Katniss’ weird crying face and the fact that the audience is not foolish enough to actually believe they would have killed them off. Jennifer Lawrence’s acting, along with some of her co-stars; falls flat at key moments of the movie even during the supposed Katniss actually falls for Peeta scene is stale. Then again I compare actors to Liam Neeson and the whole cast of Lord of the Rings, so maybe I’m setting too high a bar.

I’ve talked about some of the negatives now onto the positives; Sam Claflin as Finnick Odair is easily my favourite protagonist who competes in the Hunger Games. While he is not the best actor in the movie, that award goes to Woody Harrelson, he is the only one in the Games who you actually see fight other contestants and the mutated monkeys. President Snow the movies main antagonist is an easy competitor to Haymitch’s best actor spot; he may not have many lines in the movie but the ones he does he delivers perfectly and even just the close ups of his face show more emotion then Jennifer Lawrence’s entire performance. The special effects for the movie are a definite and obvious improvement from its prequel, which looked so fake it made Giant Shark vs. Mega Octopus look real.

Unfortunately I can’t go on with the good points of the movie because there are none left. So I will return to the negatives; plot twists. There is one major plot twist that is probably the most important thing in the entire movie, which I saw coming from a mile away, you can tell who good guys are and who the bad guys are in the movie because of the way they dress. If they look like they fell through Louie Spence’s wardrobe they are most likely the bad guys, the exception being President Snow. The ending of the movie is as weird as the way the people dress in the Capitol; it just seems to stop without any feeling of an actual conclusion. The Grey did the same thing but managed to pull it off because the Grey is a great movie, which just shows that that kind of ending does work and can make a movie excellent.
  18. May 10, 2014
    very much darker than the last book and film director francis lawrence knew what to leave in the book it is impressively directed and wonderfully written by the creator of the dark world as well as great acting this is one film the cast and crew were very careful with
  19. Jan 22, 2014
    A pretty decent follow up to the original, with less 'tween-spirit' and more mature themes. Again we see a lot of young kids being killed without really caring about their characters, however it does leave me wanting to see more.
  20. Jan 15, 2014
    this is a great movie that i found followed the book pretty well, i found that it had a entertaining story and an ended the EXACT same way that the 2nd book ended. If you liked the first hunger games movie, you're gonna like this one.
  21. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When the first movie came out, I knew they would overhype them, and I didn't come out of the movie impressed, but neither was I disappointed. For this movie, I expected it to be about the same or less, as the 2nd book was my least favorite of the two.

Boy, was I wrong!

Things aren't well in the world of Katniss. She just wants to live, and that's about it. As a result, she never thinks about the significance of the actions that she makes. As a result, she now finds herself as the face of rebellion, and President Snow is none too happy. She must now act for the Capital or watch everyone she loves die because of her actions in the first movie.

The movie does a magnificent job of showing how oblivious Katniss was to the problem's she created. Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job showing how aloof Katniss wanted to be in this whole affair as she slips into insanity. As Katniss comes to realize how shallow and pathetic is, she begins to realize how important Peeta is just like the books. The other character's in the cast developed appropriately, showing how Katniss' actions have changed their lives and shows the cruelty of the Capital and it's extravagances much better than the first movie.

The weakest part of the 2nd book, the Victory Tour wasn't rushed over, and that came to be a good thing. It allowed them to really emphasis the fact that her train ride is never ending, and that she will always suffer for her actions.

Surprisingly, the movie was quite funny as well. Caesar's infectious laugh had me going every time, and the nonchalance of the Capital culture to their own cruelty in their gaudy culture was emphasized more than the first, which made the situation of Katniss and her loved ones more significant.

The arena was very well done, and really helped give life to some things that I couldn't do with the arena she was left in. The movie did a better job, in my opinion, of grasping the tension in the arena that the book did.

All in all, an excellent movie and better than the first.
  22. Nov 24, 2013
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A movie for which the expectations are set high. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see it, after a long wait since part one. From the moment the movie started, till it's end, I was completely sucked into the movie. When it ended, I actually had to realise I was sitting in the cinema... From beginning till end, the movie is full of action, tension with aThe Hunger Games: Catching Fire. A movie for which the expectations are set high. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see it, after a long wait since part one. From the moment the movie started, till it's end, I was completely sucked into the movie. When it ended, I actually had to realise I was sitting in the cinema... From beginning till end, the movie is full of action, tension with a great story! I thought the movie had just begun when it actually ended.
    I think Jennifer Lawrence Josh Hutcherson and all of the cast created a masterpiece!
    In my opinion I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes action/scifi movies.
    As far as I know, I just can't wait until the 20th of november 2014 for the first part of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
  23. Dec 1, 2013
    Overall the Hunger Game:Catching Fire was great movie pleasing to watch at most part, with more action than first movie, many memorable scenes throughout (The scenery of jungle nice!)
    but-Note: some actors and actresses lack some chemistry and energy while acting out their parts.
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    While the first Hunger Games movie was a bit lackluster and disappointing, the 2nd film does justice to the book and the author. Jennifer Lawrence was a bit emotionless in the first film (although maybe Katniss really would've been like that), but she improves her acting for the second film. The other victors like Beetee, Finnick, and Johanna were great. (Johanna was especially funny!) TheWhile the first Hunger Games movie was a bit lackluster and disappointing, the 2nd film does justice to the book and the author. Jennifer Lawrence was a bit emotionless in the first film (although maybe Katniss really would've been like that), but she improves her acting for the second film. The other victors like Beetee, Finnick, and Johanna were great. (Johanna was especially funny!) The rest of cast is good too, even though I feel like characters such as Cinna and Prim weren't in the movie enough (but unfortunately you can't fit everything from the book into the movie). Besides the victors, the addition of Presidents Snow's granddaughter was a nice touch. Things from the book were adapted well for the movie, and to sum it all up this movie was really good. I can't wait for the next movie!

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 will be released November 2014 and Part 2 in 2015.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames by clicking on my name, and please mark this review as helpful.
  25. Apr 12, 2014
    A young-adult franchise movie that reflects concretely the message from the book with an almost prefect performance from Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  26. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the best movies of 2013 I think it is even better than gravity. The movie captures the world of the hunger games in an amazing way, and I loved every bit of the movie.
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    Far deeper in emotion and story than the first movie, and feels more interesting. There are politics involved and I loved the whole uprising, it feels like you're witnessing a revolution, some part of history.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 8.0/10
  28. Jan 2, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence is everything. She delivers a fantastic performance that makes the audience believe in her character's anger and vulnerability. Her acting has improved since the first movie and it truly makes this movie believable and better than the first one. There were some scenes that needed to be fixed, but it's not that big of a deal for this #1 action movie of 2013.
  29. Jan 6, 2014
    i have learned that after watching the movie. its better to not over think it i am really disappointed i want my money back the only reason i'm glad i saw it because now i can understand the third one which hopefully better than the second one.
  30. Jan 20, 2014
    This movie isn't exactly what I thought it would be. It missed out on some major and small parts like the first movie. I understand that the movie has to fit into 1-2 hours, but at least try putting in more parts and a tad bit more action in this movie. The makeup and costumes were outstanding, but the movie in general?... I'd give this an 8.
  31. Jan 22, 2014
    This is one of those rare times when I have read the book and was pleased with the movie. The producers/directors did a fine job following the story and the actors did a great job making the characters true to form.

Loved this movie!
  32. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Spectacular!'' ''Knockout.'' ''Explosive!'' Jennifer Lawrence is fearless. The Hunger Games:Catching Fire will take your breath away. One of the Best adaptation of the book I've seen. One of the Best Achievement. Francis Lawrence gives a suspenseful action film, It leaves you wanting more.
  33. Nov 4, 2014
    well i finally watched the movie and well i must say i am just dissapointed, the plot of this movie does not make a lot of sense. the ending is just weird. well okay lets shoot this barbed arrow at the lightning. the arena breaks down and wow there are the good guys, seriously how the **** did these guys know what Katniss would do and when, overall acting is mediocre. what a dissapointment
  34. Feb 23, 2014
    It was really entertaining, Jennifer Lawrence is great in her role. Despite 2 hour long, it keeps you in expectation all the time. Definitely a must see
  35. May 2, 2014
    It is not very common that a sequel turns out to be better than the original, but somehow here's Catching Fire, with an awesome performance by Lawrence and better CGI that makes this movie an amazing experience.
  36. Nov 23, 2014
    Una película entretenida, que te deja con las ganas de ver "The Hunger Games: Mokingjay - Part 1", contiene una buena dirección artística, y el trabajo de Trish Summerville en el vestuario lo hace ser merecedor de no solo la nominación al Oscar si no también el galardón, esta película sin duda es una de las mejores del año, que en mi opinión, es mejor que "Gravity", y por mucho.
  37. Apr 14, 2014
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is definitely an improvement upon the first film. With a deeper emotional depth and a better look at the series themes, and let's not forget an amazing lead performance from Academy-Award-Winner: Jennifer Lawrence.
  38. Mar 28, 2014
    When I saw the first Hunger Games film, I enjoyed it but I went into it without reading the book at all. So I made sure that I read the books before the next film came out and I enjoyed the book enough to where I got really hyped for the Catching Fire movie and it was amazing!! I enjoyed this movie so much and it was a lot better than the first Hunger Games movie. It had some great dramaWhen I saw the first Hunger Games film, I enjoyed it but I went into it without reading the book at all. So I made sure that I read the books before the next film came out and I enjoyed the book enough to where I got really hyped for the Catching Fire movie and it was amazing!! I enjoyed this movie so much and it was a lot better than the first Hunger Games movie. It had some great drama and suspense to keep me captive around the action scenes. The locations were also cool and I liked that they seemed more open and fleshed out in this movie than the first film. The characters were good, the acting was good, everything in this film is great. This is a one of kind film that I think sci-fi and dystopia fans will really enjoy, even if they didn't read the book. Expand
  39. Apr 1, 2014
    Catching Fire tops it's predecessor in almost every way. The actors have grown more comfortable in their roles, as the acting has improved greatly. The special effects are far better than what we got the last time around. And Ceasar Flickerman is twenty times funnier. The first hour of the movie solely focuses on the political tensions of Panem, and it is very well done. I even got scaredCatching Fire tops it's predecessor in almost every way. The actors have grown more comfortable in their roles, as the acting has improved greatly. The special effects are far better than what we got the last time around. And Ceasar Flickerman is twenty times funnier. The first hour of the movie solely focuses on the political tensions of Panem, and it is very well done. I even got scared by President Snow. (Not to mention the Peacekeepers actually look intimidating now). We also get to know more about victors that have been reaped for the 75 Hunger Games. This is a nice change from what we got in the last movie, "Cato bad! Marvel bad! They big! Kill! Run!" When we get to the Games, the movie retains all of it's tension from earlier and adds a nice layer of action to top it off. And there's almost no shaky camera this time. The two Mockingjay sequels are going to have to work hard to not be overshadowed. Expand
  40. May 22, 2014
    This movie was 30% Train wreck. because when cattiness and peeta arrive in some other place, some guy got shot and I didn't know why? Now I know because they think he was causing trouble.
  41. Jul 19, 2014
    Supera por mucho a la primera, posee unos mejores efectos visuales, un gran vestuario y maquillaje, aunque con un guión un tanto pobre, pero con actuaciones muy buenas, una magnifica dirección de Francis Lawrence, y es casi como si te leyeran el libro.
  42. Apr 18, 2014
    The first 30 minutes of this movie I was wondering whit was getting such high praise. And then it started to pickup and now I know why. Once the hunger games part started it was so good. And the ending was great. I cant wait for the next one to come out.
  43. Apr 20, 2014
    this is a great 2nd movie to the hunger games except it has a stupid ending which means i cant wait till the 1 st par of mocking jay (a 2 part 3rd movie for the hunger games) to come out in november 2014
  44. Oct 31, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have seen the first film but have not read any of the books.
    Review:
    Pros: We go through the same process again as per the first film, except now Katniss is stronger, the Resistance has arisen and the Games are not going to go according to plan. Great story and action. As good as the first film. Cons: Some repetition of the first film? 5/5 - Good enough to pay
    Review:
    Cons: Some repetition of the first film?
    5/5 - Good enough to pay to watch it in the cinema and buy the DVD.
  45. Nov 22, 2014
    Otro rollo para adolescentes, como la primera, pero peor.
    "En llamas" es un copiar y pegar de la original, mas aburrida aún si cabe.
    La parte en que no están los juegos se hace lenta y pesada, no ofrece nada interesante, y cuando salen los juegos... bueno, tampoco es que mejore mucho. Llega al 5 raspado y da gracias, la gente que dice que esto es perfecto, en serio, sabéis poco o nada
    Otro rollo para adolescentes, como la primera, pero peor.
    "En llamas" es un copiar y pegar de la original, mas aburrida aún si cabe.
    Llega al 5 raspado y da gracias, la gente que dice que esto es perfecto, en serio, sabéis poco o nada de cine.
  46. Jul 21, 2014
    Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is spectacular, the hunger games catching fire is much better than its predecessor, is visually beautiful, it is a glory to see, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is beautiful. THE HUNGER GAMES IS THE BEST YEAR EXPERIENCE. NO falls into clichés and stereotypes, is pure drama and action. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT SPECTACULAR OF THE WORD.
  47. Jul 28, 2014
    "Catching Fire" is a stunning improvement on its predecessor, undeniably more original and mature. The film at last deals with its dystopian premise, expressing points of view on several issues that have emerged in modern societies. Characters seem like they have grown up, and are ready to cope with the horror reality around them. I liked "Catching Fire" for not only condemning the"Catching Fire" is a stunning improvement on its predecessor, undeniably more original and mature. The film at last deals with its dystopian premise, expressing points of view on several issues that have emerged in modern societies. Characters seem like they have grown up, and are ready to cope with the horror reality around them. I liked "Catching Fire" for not only condemning the dystopian situation but also going on to overturn it. There are principles on how things happened in Panem established in the first film, that collapse here. Every aspect of the film feels better and more fresh, and, of course, its open-ended finale leads right to "Mockingjay". Expand
  48. Aug 2, 2014
    So producers be like:
    -So what do we do in this next movie?
    -Idk man I was busy buying stuff with the money we got from the first release $$$ -Let's just throw in the same stuff we put in the first movie,Katness and Peeta get in the game again,they kiss,they **** Gale he's a looser,he didn't fight in the dome as Peeta did and because Peeta couldn't find a suitable girlfriend even after
    So producers be like:
    -So what do we do in this next movie?
    -Let's just throw in the same stuff we put in the first movie,Katness and Peeta get in the game again,they kiss,they **** Gale he's a looser,he didn't fight in the dome as Peeta did and because Peeta couldn't find a suitable girlfriend even after all that
    -Yeah man! that's good! And let's say there will be a rebelion which will **** the Capitol but we won't show any of that lol
    -Ooh that's good,let's keep all that for the 3rd one.Alright people,let's do this !
    All that being said,wake up people! You've just watched a rerun of the first movie which could've contained all the new stuff if it was 20 mins longer.If there is anything I appreciate about this movie is that it taught me to trust my intuition when I think my gf likes someone else but she says I'm the only one.There is proof that she is most probably surely lying.Thx for reading :)
  49. Oct 7, 2014
    Ugh, here we go again. Needless to say, I didn't watch this willingly and I am not wrong to have opposed watching it having now seen it. I have no experience with The Hunger Games books and perhaps that is what makes me so uninspired while watching the movies. Or maybe its the whiny teens with no acting skills or screen presence. Could possibly be the approach the director has on the wholeUgh, here we go again. Needless to say, I didn't watch this willingly and I am not wrong to have opposed watching it having now seen it. I have no experience with The Hunger Games books and perhaps that is what makes me so uninspired while watching the movies. Or maybe its the whiny teens with no acting skills or screen presence. Could possibly be the approach the director has on the whole absolute power over the people idea that through this movie makes it seem...fruity somehow. In any case, I find few things to like about this. It is better than Maze Runner, but that doesn't say much. Jennifer Lawrence just does not do it for me. The random mood swings and screams and freak outs from no where. Is she even mentally sound anymore? And this girl is the MOCKING JAY? The savior and leader of the rebellion? She just is not cast right as far as the female leader hardened warrior type she needs to be in a movie setting. You know, you are allowed to make movies based on popular books that still can help the non-reader keep up and understand what's going on and why certain characters do things. It isn't all that difficult. Up against its teen movie competitors, this isn't the worst. Not that that says much, I'm just bothered by movies so hyped up that are worth very little. Phillip Hoffman, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, all acting below their talents and abilities...ugh wasted. It was cool to see Lenny Kravitz and Stanley Tucci though. Expand
  50. Oct 15, 2014
    Oh my goodness, this continuation is awesome and I can't wait for the next. The performance of the Cast, mainly Jennifer and Josh was incredible and the romance between Katniss and Peeta came so much better than the first movie, It would be horrible if Peeta die. The story during the course of the movie go getting better and better until the epic end. The story isn't disappointing and theOh my goodness, this continuation is awesome and I can't wait for the next. The performance of the Cast, mainly Jennifer and Josh was incredible and the romance between Katniss and Peeta came so much better than the first movie, It would be horrible if Peeta die. The story during the course of the movie go getting better and better until the epic end. The story isn't disappointing and the acting scenes is very good. I can't think in something that I would change. Expand
  51. Feb 21, 2015
    This sequel is spectacular, a huge improvement over the first. It was gritty, edgy and politically refined. Its a glorious triumph for Lionsgate, bring on Mockingjay (part 1 and 2)
  52. Oct 12, 2014
    410 Simply because the first half of the movie is brilliant. Everything is laid out well and enjoyable.

Second half.. Is a horrible trainwreck. It's amazing to see something that has done this so well in the past flump at it now. The second half provides a story that is all over the place and it's really weird how short it feels. It's like you get a smooth massage the first half and

The second half provides a story that is all over the place and it's really weird how short it feels. It's like you get a smooth massage the first half and then the second half it feels like the movie is being forced into your head. Trying to make sense of what is going on.

It gets a 4 because it's the second half that is bad. It's kind of like cheap soda, it tastes sweet at first but then the horrible aftertaste makes you regret taking a sip
  53. Oct 19, 2014
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins as Katniss Everdeen returns home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a Victor's Tour of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much inThe Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins as Katniss Everdeen returns home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a Victor's Tour of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell), a competition that could change Panem forever. Expand
  54. Mar 9, 2015
    THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE es de esas secuelas que son MUCHO mejor que su primera parte. Posiblemente fue por el cambio del Director: Francis Lawrence (anteriormente Gary Ross) porque en si la pelicula se siente diferente a su primera parte, se siente mas madura, mas oscura, mas fuerte y poderosa que THE HUNGER GAMES. Tengo que destacar que CATCHING FIRE es de las mejores adaptacionesTHE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE es de esas secuelas que son MUCHO mejor que su primera parte. Posiblemente fue por el cambio del Director: Francis Lawrence (anteriormente Gary Ross) porque en si la pelicula se siente diferente a su primera parte, se siente mas madura, mas oscura, mas fuerte y poderosa que THE HUNGER GAMES. Tengo que destacar que CATCHING FIRE es de las mejores adaptaciones literarias que e visto en los últimos años, respeta cada pagina del libro, tiene detalles distintos, pero estos no afectan en nada a la historia original. Las actuaciones, la dirección, los efectos y el guion son por mucho mejores que su antecesora, en esta segunda parte veras mas violencia, mas criticas hacia el gobierno, rebeliones, y sobre todo, una pelicula mas Adulta. Expand
  55. Jan 11, 2015
    With a much better plot, Catching Fire greatly improves upon its predecessor. Great new characters along with the same amazing quality of visual effects we saw in the first film make this a tough competitor for Mockingjay Part 1.
  56. Mar 13, 2015
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a rare dystopian action flick packed with enough smarts to back up its subtext and provocative themes. Even when things get extremely brutal, we're always gripped by the constantly unnerving events and complex character detail.
  57. Apr 6, 2015
    I really good film way better then the firsh movie it's a amazing sequel to the good film. the action you can see and no more shaky camera It's just a good film.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 25, 2013
    Yet, despite the good acting, the middle section of the film, set at the Capitol, is attenuated and rhythmless — the filmmakers seem to be touching all the bases so that the trilogy’s readers won’t miss anything.
  2. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Nov 22, 2013
    With each on-screen chapter, the poor girl from District 12 continues to fulfill her destiny as an inspiration and a rebel fighter. She is but one female, but she's the perfect antidote to the surplus of male superheroes out there.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Everything that felt clumsy in The Hunger Games has been improved upon here. That's most apparent in the clarity of the action, but it also extends to how efficiently the film establishes so many new ensemble members.