7.9

1. Nov 22, 2013
    I really liked The Hunger Games, it was truly different, original and overall very entertaining and touching. Catching fire is a really big improvement on the first Hunger Games, no shaky cameras first of all. Not always that we get good sequels, this middle installment of a great upcoming trilogy is fun, although gripping and violent, entertaining for everyone looking for a good time.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    The first hour or so of this movie is wonderful. It really fleshes out the setting of the sci-fi dystopia seen only very briefly in the first movie. The second half is a train wreck of improbable circumstances and impossible to follow action scenes. People just seem to... DO THINGS for no explainable reason. I've never seen a movie go from pretty good to horrible beyond saving so quickly.The first hour or so of this movie is wonderful. It really fleshes out the setting of the sci-fi dystopia seen only very briefly in the first movie. The second half is a train wreck of improbable circumstances and impossible to follow action scenes. People just seem to... DO THINGS for no explainable reason. I've never seen a movie go from pretty good to horrible beyond saving so quickly. If you look closely you can spot where it happens. It's right around where the actual "Hunger Games" part begins. Expand
  3. Dec 31, 2013
    Beautifully shot and compelling throughout, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire captures the perfect essence and tone of the book while never straying away from it.
  4. Nov 10, 2014
    With a deeper exploration of the ones behind the Hunger Games, this sequel retains the glory of the book, adds an aura of political astuteness and obviously the brains and brawns of the cast.
  5. Nov 26, 2013
    This movie was really hyped and all of the movies these year with hype was disappointing with some exceptions. This one didn't disappoint at all and was clearly the best of the year. Best movie in a long time. There's everything hear for everyone. I loved it. 9.5/10
  6. Dec 9, 2013
    A decent movie with a sporty touch. A welcome change from the usual. The movie highlights the high and lows of the life of a sportsperson. The movie is engaging. For more on this, please visit:
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    It's just like the book, far better than the previous movie filled with drama and action! A must have and must see! It's easy to follow, emotional and brilliant!
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    It's living up to the name of the book in every details. So Hunger games : Catching Fire is good in all aspects. It's artificial but truthful when it talk about the world we are around. The scenario will not possible at all when thinking with today. But it is possible when all things concerned. It's truthful when comes to the human nature. So a perfect 10 is reasonable when the genre, theIt's living up to the name of the book in every details. So Hunger games : Catching Fire is good in all aspects. It's artificial but truthful when it talk about the world we are around. The scenario will not possible at all when thinking with today. But it is possible when all things concerned. It's truthful when comes to the human nature. So a perfect 10 is reasonable when the genre, the adaptation, story and the core message concerned. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    what the hell is this the plot makes absolutely no logical sense they all speck like the editor speed there voices up extremely high oh and wait for this **** when there are fun survival fights they put it in **** pitch black!!!!!! why so i had no idea what was going on all i knew that there was two people trying to fight these beasts from clearly something that is from matrix from wherewhat the hell is this the plot makes absolutely no logical sense they all speck like the editor speed there voices up extremely high oh and wait for this **** when there are fun survival fights they put it in **** pitch black!!!!!! why so i had no idea what was going on all i knew that there was two people trying to fight these beasts from clearly something that is from matrix from where they change things in the arena and why the hell dogs what the **** so wait wait wait you can make anything like a t-rex or a **** mecha but you make dogs what the **** and all the people in the arena are clearly rip offs of characters from one of the best games in the world tomb raider the main boy and girl are clearly laura croft and peter the other geologist and its appoling and the president is the profit from bioshcok infinity and well everyone else is a dochue thus movie is terrible how could anyone **** up a such a good plot like this Expand
  10. Jul 18, 2014
    Ya kids killing eachother, just what I wanted to see, sandy hook massacre must get even better ratings? You sick fuks? Me thinks not, no creativity whatsoever
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    A development upon the first film in many ways, Catching Fire does require a little more subtlety in the delivery of its overall message, but still combines glamour with violence and fleshes out a universe that has proved to be captivating and enthralling enough to maintain enough interest for the final installments.
  12. Mar 3, 2014
    I loved the first Hunger Games film, but I realized after watching it a second time it was merely a nice setup for something potentially greater. Catching Fire is excellent entertainment but it's the deeper plot and societal references that will grab you and keep you long after the action has faded. I didn't read any of the books, and as much as I'd like to after seeing the first twoI loved the first Hunger Games film, but I realized after watching it a second time it was merely a nice setup for something potentially greater. Catching Fire is excellent entertainment but it's the deeper plot and societal references that will grab you and keep you long after the action has faded. I didn't read any of the books, and as much as I'd like to after seeing the first two movies I almost want to hold off to maximize the impact of the movies. Maybe a "10" isn't a balanced score, but I am hard pressed to think of a movie in recent memory that had me so wired and on the edge of my seat. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic and the cast surrounding her all turn in great performances as well. This Hunger Games is more visceral - I didn't want it to end, ever. We'll get Mockingjay to close out the trilogy and I was thrilled to hear that it will be a two-part movie. It's just sad to think that there can only be one more complete chapter in what has quickly become the coolest franchise since Harry Potter, especially as The Hobbit has turned out to be nothing special. To Danny Strong (screenwriter) I say: do us proud - Suzanne Collins' oversight will do wonders to keep the movies faithful, but it's your transition from literary fiction to silver-screen entertainment that needs to land the most. So excited. Expand
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    After Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) win the 74th games, they embark on a Victor's Tour. After that unpleasant expedition, they get dragged back into the 75th game. The first half of the film sets up the political and personal drama, while the jungle adventure is full of weird environmental challenges (as opposed to personal combat). Lawrence is grim and serious.After Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) win the 74th games, they embark on a Victor's Tour. After that unpleasant expedition, they get dragged back into the 75th game. The first half of the film sets up the political and personal drama, while the jungle adventure is full of weird environmental challenges (as opposed to personal combat). Lawrence is grim and serious. So is everybody else for that matter. The effects are fine, but the only visual fun comes from Elizabeth Banks' fabulous fashions. The action is adequate without being especially exciting or remotely inventive. This sequel is a lot more about drama and relationships and much less about action and sci-fi dazzle. Probably more popular with fans of the books, since it serves to set up the coming conflict. Expand
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    A very slow start for me....but the events before and during the ending was absolutely amazing. A great movie overall....
  15. Sep 24, 2014
    I don't get it. I just do not get it. The first Hunger Games was an unoriginal, monotonous mess. This film (while there are marginal improvements) is essentially a re-hash of the same thing. The first hour is almost a scene for scene re-enactment of the previous film just with a bit more of the bad guys doing bad guy things. Then finally the actual hunger games starts about 80 minutes inI don't get it. I just do not get it. The first Hunger Games was an unoriginal, monotonous mess. This film (while there are marginal improvements) is essentially a re-hash of the same thing. The first hour is almost a scene for scene re-enactment of the previous film just with a bit more of the bad guys doing bad guy things. Then finally the actual hunger games starts about 80 minutes in and 90% of it happens off screen while we're shown a bunch of exciting shots of our protagonists walking, sitting, climbing trees or struggling with their forced love triangle. It's a thrill ride.
    A big TV in the sky tells us that a bunch of disposable background characters died off screen which I guess we're supposed to care about but I can't help thinking it would've been way more involving if the main characters had come into some kind of conflict with them at any point rather than facing off against CGI smoke and monkies.
    Speaking of the main characters, there is no development on them from the first film. Katniss remains a sullen, brooding misery while Peeta continues to play the role of damsel in distress (much like the first film, almost every scene he is involved in features him moaning about something or needing to be rescued). The supporting characters like Finnick and Johanna are way more entertaining to watch since they actually have some semblance of a personality. Then there's Elizabeth Banks' horrific attempt at an English accent which is almost physically painful to the ear.
    So while I have to admit that this is an improvement on the first film, that really isn't saying much. It is beyond me why this is so popular. The story has been done before, the characters are completely unrelatable and the visuals and writing aren't exactly exceptional.
  16. Nov 29, 2013
    Crafty direction, good casting and prominent acting on its belt, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is an illustrious sequel with solid aspects throughout. Screenplay moves in tight pace, and to its credit, manages to fuse together complex social and political issues with the raw battle royal action sequences. This adds more tension and depth to the macabre rather than simple mindless killingCrafty direction, good casting and prominent acting on its belt, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is an illustrious sequel with solid aspects throughout. Screenplay moves in tight pace, and to its credit, manages to fuse together complex social and political issues with the raw battle royal action sequences. This adds more tension and depth to the macabre rather than simple mindless killing game of its peers, slowly drawing audience to invest more on the characters' and their predicaments. It's a more polished, better structured and choreographed movie than the first, odds are fans and audience in general will favor this second installment.

Fire of rebellion has been lit after the last Hunger Games. To ensure it won't spread any further President Snow (Donald Sutherland) makes Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), winners of the last Hunger Games, into glorified celebrities. They are tasked to pacify the crowd with faux romance, however things soon go awry and the hunt for lives begins anew. In almost mocking manner, it portrays contemporary and relatable issue with this other world analog. The overabundance of Capitol and constant oppression of lower districts are shown remarkably. It takes its time to convey the motivation of the characters and in the long run gives more profoundness to the ensuing Hunger Games.

Jennifer Lawrence does a good job as the leading protagonist, it's not often a woman has the role of the strong main character without blowing it out of proportion or resorting into promiscuous shots. She looks capable and also captivating yet possesses a restrained charm. The wardrobe does help tremendously in creating her persona, but she plays the role with good forte. .

Other more veteran actors, such as Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson or Donald Sutherland provide solid performances. Each of them plays their role with distinguished air. Younger newcomers provide exuberance and spunk, I personally like Johanna character as with her unbridled profanities. It’d be better to showcase more of the participants of the Games, but considering they need to trim the length into palatable time, it’s fairly understandable.

Setting for the movie is quite excellent, dyeing most of its vistas with greyish tone, in exception of several more outlandish settings which is sprayed with near excessive colors. It doesn’t forget to bring ridiculous make up, hairdo and costumes for the opulence display, perhaps to insinuate more of the social commentary. Wardrobe has seen relatively stranger clothing than most movies, they're just slightly more futuristic but still believable as casual wear. It doesn't use much grandiose effect which is fine since the human aspects are more apparent. Things would be less engaging if it goes into exaggerated futuristic theme.

Actions sequences are steadily performed smoother than the first title, there are no crazy stunts to be had nor does it use overwhelming amount of CG. Battle royal theme can be ironically redundant if the movie used unnecessary complex action. Catching Fire cleverly opts for more consistency in choreography and better pacing. Its theme song is quiet catchy, although somewhat repetitive. Overall ambiance of the movie is delivered in solemn hymn, which might not stand out too much on its own but fits pretty well.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire offers superior quality on all its elements; everything works well and even better together. Furthermore, it doesn't try to be anything it is not, only improving from what it already has. Not a lot of sequels, or adventure movie as a whole, can achieve that.
  17. Sep 2, 2014
    A superb follow-up to the the first of the series, Catching Fire proves the trilogy's worth amidst Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. By Catching Fire, Jennifer Lawrence is well on her way to become America's finest young actress--ever present here.
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    With the sequel being more matured than its first movie as it explores deeper on the theme of the whole franchise and also providing more thrilling edge of your seat action, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will lead both fans and viewers wanting more.
  19. Jun 16, 2014
    I love the story and the special effects are good. The only bad side to this movie is that sadly we've been here before with the first film. I think I sort of went in knowing what this film was going to be like. I wouldn't be surprised if the last two movies are scored lower than the first two. I think the first one is the best. Whenever a new movie comes out you don't know what to expect,I love the story and the special effects are good. The only bad side to this movie is that sadly we've been here before with the first film. I think I sort of went in knowing what this film was going to be like. I wouldn't be surprised if the last two movies are scored lower than the first two. I think the first one is the best. Whenever a new movie comes out you don't know what to expect, will it be good, or will it be bad? No one knows until someone sees it. The one thing I've seen over the years is in all genres especially in action and horror films the special effects have gotten way better. Catching Fire is an awesome sequel, but if there's one Hunger Game film to watch over and over again, it's without a doubt, the first film will always be the best. Expand
  20. Nov 24, 2013
    A thought provoking, visually impressive, and very engaging movie. Now, I'm not some fanboy who's going to say it was the best movie ever, because it's not, but it's still a noticeable improvement on the first film, which was good to begin with. The thing I can't quite get past is the lingering youth novel adaptation feel to the movie which it can't completely shake off, even though youA thought provoking, visually impressive, and very engaging movie. Now, I'm not some fanboy who's going to say it was the best movie ever, because it's not, but it's still a noticeable improvement on the first film, which was good to begin with. The thing I can't quite get past is the lingering youth novel adaptation feel to the movie which it can't completely shake off, even though you can tell that it badly wants to. It's somewhat hard to explain, but you can still tell that it's aimed at older teens and not adults. That's not to say that the movie is immature. In fact its narrative deals with some very mature issues such as fascism, human worth, and rebellion. It delves more deeply into the themes than the first movie did and shows more brutality at the hands of the tyrannical government regime. Jennifer Lawrence was good in Silver Linings Playbook, and all of her other films for that matter, but she's even better here. She shows
    extreme emotion more naturally than she has in the past and proves a great anchor for the franchise. The new director, Francis Lawrence, who's not related to Jennifer, directs everything a lot more smoothly than Gary Ross, especially the action. The larger budget also helps. Instead of merely being passable, the visual effects are now up there with the best of them. Overall the movie is very engaging and possesses some moments which are truly emotionally stirring, but it still lacks the rapturous grandeur and pure awe of films like Inception and Avatar, and the screenplay, which is good, lacks the precision of films like Zero Dark Thirty, or No Country for Old Men. But, it's still worth going out to see, and even worth buying once it hits DVD and Blue-Ray. I think it deserves Oscars, but that prospect is wildly unlikely. It might have a slight chance in the technical categories, but according to the current buzz, there's way too much competition this year for that to be probable either. We'll have to wait and see.
  21. Nov 28, 2013
    Catching Fire is a great improvement of it's predecessor. It deliver's good action, is quite eventful, evokes strong emotions, and is of course entertaining. For those on the fence about this film it is a good watch.

Immediately upon commencement I could tell the budget was bigger. It really shows because the Capital is shown in greater detail than previously, enabling us to see the contrast between it and District 12. Special effects are more interesting, and costumes are poignant and beautiful. Nothing looks cheap or bad.

The depiction of Panem being an unhappy to live in, except those in the capital, isn't featured as much in this movie. Instead we see people rising up again the 'peacekeepers' who come down like a hammer. I was definitely convinced these guys don't mess around and brutally suppress resistance. That said you certainly feel for these people and understand their plight.

Though this is an eventful movie I perceived it's story to be too rushed. I haven't read the book but as a film it jumps from scene to scene where one minute Katniss and Peeta are on a train, then addressing a village, then on a train again, then suddenly back in District 12. It's too disjointed which prevents complete immersion into it's world. I understand this is representative of their experience but it doesn't change my perception of this rushed story.

One the better films in 2013 with some stand out moments which will leave you somewhat excited for part 3.
  22. Dec 18, 2013
    Great improvement from the first Hunger Games, story in much more complex and interesting, more creative action scenes and truly breathtaking ending makes Catching Fire one of the best book adaptations!
  23. Dec 6, 2013
    It is a good movie ssccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
  24. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of hype was set for this movie and for a great cause. The movie is a big improvement from the first movie, so if your worried for any shaky cams. don't worry you won't be seeing any of those in this movie. The acting of Jennifer Lawrence is again superb in this new installment of the trilogy, the supporting cast also does a terrific job at their roles. It does take some time until the games start because the hunger games is not the main focus of the movie, its the revolution that Katniss has started from the first movie. I like that about this movie but the movie got a bit dragging when it was in the middle of the games, because there were parts of the movie that should have been removed, the revolution was really cool but the hunger games part, was a bit dragged out. I still enjoyed the movie and I'm really excited for the next installment. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 9/10 Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2013
    Being an avid reader and both a movie lover, watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was truly a satisfying experience. One of the pros to the film are that the actors display a wide range of emotion, especially Jennifer Lawrence. Usual actors will do their part, but Catching Fire's notable characters display deep and emotional realistic presence. The issue between Katniss and Peeta'sBeing an avid reader and both a movie lover, watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was truly a satisfying experience. One of the pros to the film are that the actors display a wide range of emotion, especially Jennifer Lawrence. Usual actors will do their part, but Catching Fire's notable characters display deep and emotional realistic presence. The issue between Katniss and Peeta's growth remains a question, as like many movies these days, lack the ability to develop a relationship believably. Perhaps its the fact that the book is in first person, while the movie cannot delve into Katniss' feelings orally. Despite this minor flaw, Catching Fire provides a long, but durable and enjoyable experience with action, emotion, and convincingly acted scenes. Expand
  26. Nov 25, 2013
    people have to score these kind of things on its own way, i mean don't say the book was better than the movie blah blah each thing have to be different bc it'd make no sense seeing the same thing. so.. incredible movie.
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best dystopian fiction holds a mirror up to our own society, extrapolating current trends to extreme endpoints. Here, in a grim future America, the gaudy citizens of the Capital lead lives of leisure amid the glittering spires of their neo-classical metropolis while the Appalachian miners of District 12 carve a meagre living straight out of the Great Depression. Every year, they are forced to participate in their oppressors’ sadistic version reality TV (with brilliantly over the top X-factor style commentary): the titular Hunger Games, an annual gladiatorial combat between children, in which the sole survivor emerges as victor.

The face of the revolution is the teenage Katniss (Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) whose strong performance drives a film which is otherwise far from subtle. Yet there’s no doubt that this film is thoroughly exciting and engaging. For a start, the young actors here are miles better than the cast of the cheesy ‘80s slasher flicks I’ve been watching lately.

The visuals are fantastic and the cast is rounded out with both old and new blood, including Wood Harrelson as Katniss’ grizzled mentor, and Patrick Seymour Hoffman as the smooth talking new games master. Donald Sutherland returns as the villainous President Snow, his soft spoken exterior belying the brutal stranglehold he maintains on the populace.

One year after Katniss and her fellow ‘tribute’ Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) won the last Hunger Games, the president decrees that this year’s competitors will be drawn from the existing pool of victors (who believed they had earned their freedom); as if to deny that the games are anything more than a ritual execution.

So Katniss and Peeta must head back into the arena for a second round, facing twenty five years worth of combatants who’ve murdered their way out once already. While more time is devoted to the Games social impact and the brewing rebellion, there is a feeling that Catching Fire treads familiar ground. Much of the thematic material held true for the first film, and this instalment is little more than a continuation of the narrative. The biggest difference is that the battle is between veterans and not children.

Gary Ross hands the directorial reigns to Francis Lawrence, whose back catalogue, including Constantine (2005) and I am Legend (2007) suggests a darker sequel, though Lawrence inherits much of the design and atmosphere directly from his predecessor. This is ultimately delivered, yet we are treated to the inevitably unsatisfying cliff hanger as the narrative heads towards its presumably epic conclusion in next year’s Mockingjay.

The weakest part of the story is the attempted love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale which started in the last film. It pales in comparison to the wider struggle of the story and is perhaps wisely downplayed. Gale (Liam Hemsworth, who somehow has third billing) is a childhood friend of Katniss, but feels like a redundant character, appearing in very few scenes to give the TV a jealous glance whenever he sees Peeta, who has infinitely more screen time, but says and does less than he did in the last film.

The new police uniforms, a departure from the more standard half-visors seen in the first film, are a little too much like Star Wars storm troopers crossed with The Stig, and look downright bizarre when worn without a helmet. This undermines some of the intensity of the new police chief of District 12, who is otherwise brutal and intimidating.

As far as run time is concerned, so many of these epic fantasy novel adaptations are a little on the long side. At 146 minutes, Catching Fire is only quarter of an hour shorter than the somewhat bloated The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the other film I saw this week. How much of a problem this becomes depends on your investment in the source material. I’ve not read any of the novels, so as a casual viewer, this felt a lot longer than The Hobbit, but I can imagine a lot of people feeling the opposite. That’s fine, but it can alienate those on the periphery of the fan base.

Alternatively, while I felt that some of the Harry Potter films had the potential to flash past in a series of semi-confusing vignettes for anyone unfamiliar with the books, I never felt lost in the narrative of this film, or the one that preceded it.
  28. Nov 27, 2013
    Overall it was a good movie...BUT, the ending was disappointing. I feel like it ended the movie while it still had some way to go. It's like you're talking in a conversation, and you end your conversation in the middle of it. It's just another moneymaker.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    To put it simply this film is amazing. It's thrilling, captivating and unexpected at every turn. Despite it's impressive length as I sensed the ending coming I wished it wouldn't, and that's some of the highest praise I can give a movie. Whether it be the stunning visuals the perfectly suiting soundtrack or the fantastic story there's something here for everyone. The story is as touchingTo put it simply this film is amazing. It's thrilling, captivating and unexpected at every turn. Despite it's impressive length as I sensed the ending coming I wished it wouldn't, and that's some of the highest praise I can give a movie. Whether it be the stunning visuals the perfectly suiting soundtrack or the fantastic story there's something here for everyone. The story is as touching and heartfelt as it is exciting and brutally true to the world it's set in. Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson have great chemistry, elevating the story immeasurable lengths and the rest of the cast have outstanding performances Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson to name but a few. A must see for everyone Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    The first movie was entertaining, but not a movie I'd want to see a second time. Some of the stuff, like Prim's name getting chosen was something we'd heard a thousand times. This movie is head and shoulders better; so many more surprises, better special effects, and at the ending, I couldn't stop smiling. (Not the ending right before the credits.) The point is, Catching Fire is an awesome film.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 25, 2013
    Yet, despite the good acting, the middle section of the film, set at the Capitol, is attenuated and rhythmless — the filmmakers seem to be touching all the bases so that the trilogy’s readers won’t miss anything.
  2. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Nov 22, 2013
    With each on-screen chapter, the poor girl from District 12 continues to fulfill her destiny as an inspiration and a rebel fighter. She is but one female, but she's the perfect antidote to the surplus of male superheroes out there.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Everything that felt clumsy in The Hunger Games has been improved upon here. That's most apparent in the clarity of the action, but it also extends to how efficiently the film establishes so many new ensemble members.