7.0

1. Oct 2, 2012
    If you didnt know what this movie is based off of its based off the book The Hunger Games. I think the directors did a pretty poor job on this movie because they cut out pretty important parts from the book. I just got done reading the book, a few days ago and it is a really good book,the movie,eh. One thing i didnt like is the casting because the girl who played Katniss doesnt really fitIf you didnt know what this movie is based off of its based off the book The Hunger Games. I think the directors did a pretty poor job on this movie because they cut out pretty important parts from the book. I just got done reading the book, a few days ago and it is a really good book,the movie,eh. One thing i didnt like is the casting because the girl who played Katniss doesnt really fit the character and Peeta's actor is ugly,just saying. If you havent read the book dont watch this movie because you will have no idea what the hell is going on at all. Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was lacking in many aspects compared to the book, but it is understandable since movie length is something constantly hanging over a directors head since you have to keep the movie short enough to keep people interested, but long enough to get what you can into the movie. My personal opinion is that the director and the movie in general could have really turned out better if there was more emotion put into some of the scene's. I understand you can't show in a PG-13 movie a 12 year old getting impaled by a spear, but Rue's death in the movie lacked alot of the emotion that the book was able to portray. What should have been a revenge killing fueld by anger and sadness was merely Katniss defending herself and unfortunately Rue got in the cross fire after the spear missed Katniss. Not only did it lack emotion with Katniss by Rue's side as she died the aftermath was completely left out, Katniss was supposed to decorate Rue's body in flowers but instead simply got a bouquet of flowers and laid them on her. And a major symbol from district 11 in the form of the bread they send her is missed out. While tension is rising in district 11 showing them already in the process of a riot is going to be something they will have to skirt around in the 2nd film when Katniss is trying to stop rebellion, well that's a little late seeing that it started before you even used the berries to defy the capitol, guess Rue's death is the spark, not the berries. All and all except for a few gripes about lack of emotion the film did a good job sticking true to the books, while they slightly shot themselves in the foot, and will have to do some cosmetic work with the 2nd movie to fix some blunders of the 1st movie and then stick true to the 2nd book I have faith in the team. Actors did a great job portraying their characters, I wasn't sold on Peeta's actor but after seeing him in the movie i saw the great choice they made in him, and Katniss's actress did a great job as well. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2012
    I've never read the books so i don't know if this movie is a great adaption but i really enjoyed the movie. The acting was good, story was quite compelling and the action was good throughout. Reminded me of Battle Royale which i also enjoyed.
  4. Mar 24, 2012
    I have not read the books, so I'm evaluating this strictly as movie, not as adaptation of book. Generally I was satisfied with the movie. It's not brilliant but it's worth considering. However it felt shallow on parts. Especially character development. Also some segments were not explained enough. I don't know anything about this post-apocalyptic world. So for public like me, non readers,I have not read the books, so I'm evaluating this strictly as movie, not as adaptation of book. Generally I was satisfied with the movie. It's not brilliant but it's worth considering. However it felt shallow on parts. Especially character development. Also some segments were not explained enough. I don't know anything about this post-apocalyptic world. So for public like me, non readers, there should be some segments that more obviously explain stuff.
    Nevertheless I'm happy with cast. Mostly. Also visually movie is rich. Contrast between capitol and districts is well made. And killing scenes are well handled for the target group. At the end of the day it teen movie.
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    The Hunger Games is a pretty good film but I think if it took more risks and didn't stick to a safe script it could have been excellent. Jennifer Lawrence put on a really good performance and the movie seem to shine around her. I am looking forward to the next chapter of The Hunger Games
  6. Apr 4, 2012
    Why are some people so negative about this movie? It seems very entertaining to me. I just don't get it? Haven't they all heard that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? I know a lot of people say it is very different from the book but, who cares? Some people didn't read the book yet and they saw the movie and they say it is good. Anyways that is just myWhy are some people so negative about this movie? It seems very entertaining to me. I just don't get it? Haven't they all heard that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? I know a lot of people say it is very different from the book but, who cares? Some people didn't read the book yet and they saw the movie and they say it is good. Anyways that is just my opinion. I really am looking forward in the next movie Catching Fire next year! Expand
  7. Mar 25, 2012
    Many of the points brought up in previous reviews have really nailed the pros and cons of this movie. However, I feel a vastly undisclosed topic is this movies sub par realism: cheap sets and poor costumes leave the reader slightly disengaged; a huge aspect of this movie for me (as an avid reader of the books) was seeing it all come to life - and I just feel like it really didn't do thatMany of the points brought up in previous reviews have really nailed the pros and cons of this movie. However, I feel a vastly undisclosed topic is this movies sub par realism: cheap sets and poor costumes leave the reader slightly disengaged; a huge aspect of this movie for me (as an avid reader of the books) was seeing it all come to life - and I just feel like it really didn't do that for me. Also, the lack of violence is problematic. While I understand that this movie had to appeal to a wide range of audiences, it really took away from the raw power and darkness of the books. This is a world where they pit children against each other in televised fights to the death; a little blood may have helped to get that point across. I'm also fairly disappointed in the subtle differences between this movie and the book - I understand you can't put everything in, but not giving us proper character development and back story leave the viewer either confused or merely annoyed at the shallowness of it all. Albeit, these issues are minor; the movie did a very good job of portraying the book accurately and telling the same story. Despite these setbacks, the movie was fairly good. There was a brilliant fight scene between Katniss and rival character Clove, and great work with Peeta and his camouflage. The movie had me on the edge of my seat, always waiting for more. Go see this movie, it's worth it. But it's a much better bargain if you've read the books. Friends of mine who didn't read them came up to my afterward puzzled, asking for explanation after explanation. Not understanding the book won't help you to understand what they cut, and how the characters are (or not) growing. It's a story so unique and action packed, it would have been good no matter who brought it to life - I suppose I just wish it were a little more above and beyond; more than a top-grossing movie, but a great movie as well. Expand
  8. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the best movies I have seen. Why? Okay first off, if you didn't read the book(like me) you still get the premise of the movie. The idea is quite frightening, kids killing other kids, but it is way more than that. Sure some people may think its cheesy, but the movies they like are cheesy to more people than less. The movie to me was about, Will Power, Courage, and Romance. EvenOne of the best movies I have seen. Why? Okay first off, if you didn't read the book(like me) you still get the premise of the movie. The idea is quite frightening, kids killing other kids, but it is way more than that. Sure some people may think its cheesy, but the movies they like are cheesy to more people than less. The movie to me was about, Will Power, Courage, and Romance. Even though the movie is not R, don't think its a movie for kids under 13 or 14. Little kids may have nightmares, even though its not horror, just from the slight gore and scary ideas. I recommend you go see this, and like i'm going to do, read the book afterwords. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2012
    The Hunger Games? Well to me they were a mixture of an amazing storyline but had terrible execution. I think the romance was pushed to hard, and although there was phenomenal acting parts, a lot of it was a big slab of cheese. I would give anywhere from a 6.0 to an 8.0 I think there downfall was the execution and the seemingly forced romance. In other words, it reminded me of CaptainThe Hunger Games? Well to me they were a mixture of an amazing storyline but had terrible execution. I think the romance was pushed to hard, and although there was phenomenal acting parts, a lot of it was a big slab of cheese. I would give anywhere from a 6.0 to an 8.0 I think there downfall was the execution and the seemingly forced romance. In other words, it reminded me of Captain America with Chris Evans. All in all, a little less than satisfactory. Expand
  10. Mar 25, 2012
    This movie stays true to the book and is executed well by the main actors. My only complaints are that the camera work was awful and parts of the story are hard to understand if you didn't read the book. Still, those things do not dampen my enthusiasm for this movie. It is a well written, well produced, and excellent film.
  11. Mar 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have read the entire Hunger Games series and had been looking forward to the movie immensely. I was disappointed at how normal the movie was. Don't get me wrong, the movie was good. But it certainly did not do the book justice due to several flaws. Firstly, the character development was rather weak especially the relationship between Peeta and Katniss. I believe that more effort and time could have been spent to show Peeta's love towards Katniss and also, why Katniss had no choice but to love him back during the course of the game. In terms of summarization of the story, I thought the script writer did a good job at taking important parts from the story so that the audience who did not read the book could get a general idea at what the movie was about. However, too many small details were left out. I find it irritating that the hovercraft did not appear to pick up dead bodies especially in Rue's scene. Even more so, President Snow was not depicted constantly licking his mouth. This and many other lack small details ruined the expectation, fun and excitement for the fans of the series. Meanwhile, I find scenes where most of the conversation occurs mainly in monologue rather boring. The actors can and have acted well, but many scenes of slow and quiet talking bore me out instead of making me feel what the characters were feeling at that time. I cannot imagine how it would be like for non book readers. Perhaps, the worst part is that the entire movie did not pick up sufficient pace to get the audience to enjoy the action scenes around the second half of the movie. It gave a rather monotonous atmosphere throughout the movie save for some exciting scenes.

This movie deserves a 6 for me. Perhaps it could have been better if it were split into two parts or if a narrative from Katniss' perspective was introduced to explain many parts of the movie. Either way, I hope the director will not produce a similarly paced second movie because that would be obscenely boring already.

P.S Haymitch was an **** in this movie. He sounds retarded with the cowboy accent.
  12. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I had never heard of the Hunger Games series prior to the film coming out, proof if needed that I'm obviously not a 'young adult anymore! the other half came in with this the other day so I gave into the hype and gave it a go.
    What's it all about? Set in a fictional American dystopian future, a new nation called Panem is divided into 12 distinct districts and
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Set in a fictional American dystopian future, a new nation called Panem is divided into 12 distinct districts and controlled by the powerful and rich Capitol. As punishment for an uprising some years before, The Capitol organise a yearly competition known as the Hunger Games where each district must send 2 competitors, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18, known as tributes. The children are left to fight until the death until only one survives and is declared the champion. Should you watch it?
    I was largely non-fussed by The Hunger Games. Having not read the books I've no idea how the adaptation compares but as a standalone film it wasn't bad but it wasn't too great either. The story borrows elements from The Truman Show, Running Man and Blade Runner among others. I should plead ignorance in having not yet seen Battle Royale, but I'm aware that the plot is remarkably similar. The point being that the plot is not awfully original.

The directing and editing in the districts did not work for me. The shaky camera work and chop editing might have been selected to create a sense of disorganisation and panic in the districts during tribute selection but I found it too much. Another gripe I had was the use of flashbacks by Gary Ross. Flashbacks of unseen footage provide the viewer with an opportunity to see what has previously occured and can be plot aids but why did Ross choose to show flashbacks of scenes we had already seen, one in particular several times over. I clearly missed the importance of the scene.

I felt the film was dumbed down in places, definitely in terms of violence, which I can understand with this being a Hollywood production with children involved but also with some of the script. A prime example being at the end when the game organiser announces that the rules are being changed spontaneously again, It is so obvious what the rule change is going to be but yet the characters are made to listen to the full announcement with a few more seconds afterwards to digest the ramifications.

There are decent performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Allen so its far from all bad.
  13. Oct 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose herThe Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose her enemies and fall in love to win the hearts of the viewers and to increase her chances of survival.
    The films special effects are good, the larger ones are noticeable but the smaller ones not so much making it fit in with the reality or not feel to it not to mention the top notch acting. The Hunger Games is one of 2012's unmissable films.
  14. Apr 3, 2012
    I saw the movie before reading the book, my main desire to read the book was a lack of satisfaction with the movie and having read and seen both I think I understand why. The main problem with the movie adaptation is a lack of emotional connection to the characters, I found it difficult to care about the characters because there simply was not much depth to them. In the book Katniss showsI saw the movie before reading the book, my main desire to read the book was a lack of satisfaction with the movie and having read and seen both I think I understand why. The main problem with the movie adaptation is a lack of emotional connection to the characters, I found it difficult to care about the characters because there simply was not much depth to them. In the book Katniss shows a certain vulnerability, particularly before the games, that is simply not conveyed in the film. She's confused, she's distrustful of Peeta, etcetera. She's essentially both scared and conflicted but putting on a brave face, and in the film the only sense I got was "brave face" with no depth behind it. This is a problem because the audience cannot relate to her to the level that is necessary. I think the movie could have used more close ups of her face, and maybe just more pantomime sort of acting, show us how she feels through her face, let us see her thinking, see the glimmer of fear and the grabbing hold of resolve. Instead she's stone-faced the whole time, and she does things without the audience seeing in her face the reason for her doing those things. The best part of the movie is the 5 minutes or so leading up to, and directly following the start of the game. Because we see her scared, and the start of the games has a very non-graphic but visceral feel to it but everything that follows is just not that interesting. The actor cast as peeta was also a poor choice. Myself and my company simply did not care for him as a character. The movie also shows a lot of behind the scenes footage, showing Seam when the games are being broadcast, showing the gamemakers, etcetera. None of this really adds to the movie. Sometimes it explains what's going on, or is a substitute for Katniss's own thoughts in the novel but the scenes are just not that compelling. Watching people manipulate computers is never that compelling. And while they give reason for things happening, they don't explain the mechanism for things happening and in that regard they do a disservice because my suspension of disbelief was torn a few times. Overall the movie had a lot of potential, but we as the audience simply don't care because we aren't given characters that we can care about. If the movie focused more on Katniss, showed the great depth of her emotion and her inner conflict, we would see her as more of a person and would relate to her struggle a lot more. Expand
  15. Apr 4, 2012
    At first, I thought the book was borrowing a lot from the "Battle Royale" massacre concept, but "The Hunger Games" is an apparent more structured "Battle Royale" and its content is carefully thought.

I'd say the book is more detailed, but the movie did not miss the elements that made the story disturbingly satisfactory. Hollywood's tradition to produce the bestselling novel was a joke until Jennifer Lawrence got the lead.
  16. Apr 5, 2012
    Mediocre movie adaptation from a great book. I read the book and was looking forward to seeing it come to life. I really loved the capital scenes and the arena: just what I pictured. I also pictured the casting of Haymitch, Cinna and Katness but Josh cast as Peeta just wasnt as i pictured. The character development was the biggest flaw i felt from the movie. I got nothing from Katniss orMediocre movie adaptation from a great book. I read the book and was looking forward to seeing it come to life. I really loved the capital scenes and the arena: just what I pictured. I also pictured the casting of Haymitch, Cinna and Katness but Josh cast as Peeta just wasnt as i pictured. The character development was the biggest flaw i felt from the movie. I got nothing from Katniss or Peeta. I didnt believe that Peeta had a deep love for Katniss. Nor did they go in any detail about Katniss' past. Haymitch isnt a drunk nor did they tell much about his back story or his role in the story. It really just seemed like they left out alot of detail from the books, assuming that the viewers already read the books. This created some plot holes, and really the movie should be separate from the book. Its not the best movie ever like some uber fans say. A good rent. Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2012
    What could have been a series of exhilarating death-matches is, instead, a tedious melodrama. I REALLY don't appreciate the pointless shaky-cam thing. No review of THG would be complete without a comparison to 2000's "Battle Royale"; taking the respective budgets into account and hence disregarding THG's higher production values, I declare BR to be a far superior film, in terms of bothWhat could have been a series of exhilarating death-matches is, instead, a tedious melodrama. I REALLY don't appreciate the pointless shaky-cam thing. No review of THG would be complete without a comparison to 2000's "Battle Royale"; taking the respective budgets into account and hence disregarding THG's higher production values, I declare BR to be a far superior film, in terms of both entertainment as well as social commentary. Expand
  18. Apr 6, 2012
    Yes, I have read the books. Maybe I'm a little biased, but this movie was disappointing. Yes, it was entertaining. Yes, most of the acting is done well. But, that doesn't excuse all the stuff they cut out. It wasn't even that they cut out important stuff, they just SHORTENED important stuff. There was not enough time spent developing the relationships between the characters. There wasYes, I have read the books. Maybe I'm a little biased, but this movie was disappointing. Yes, it was entertaining. Yes, most of the acting is done well. But, that doesn't excuse all the stuff they cut out. It wasn't even that they cut out important stuff, they just SHORTENED important stuff. There was not enough time spent developing the relationships between the characters. There was especially not enough time spent developing Katniss and Rue. Same thing with Katniss and Peeta. Another problem is that this movie assumes that you read the book, so it doesn't bother to explain a lot of stuff. Overall, it was entertaining, but I will NOT be buying this when it comes out on DVD. Expand
  19. Apr 8, 2012
    This movie was a good but lacking adaptation of a great book. There are significant shortenings and unnecessary switches to make this movie PG 13. I understand the fact that in order to achieve significant revenue this movie had to be adaptable to a larger audience but it ripped the core of the story. i sutil recomendar watching it, but You WILL need to fill the gaps by reading the book.
  20. Apr 9, 2012
    I actually really liked this movie. The acting was amazing, the movie was similar to the book, and I felt a lot of real emotions during this. This movie was just what I imagined in the book. Jennifer Lawrence did a particularly good job as Katniss, and the special effects were mostly good. Two things I didn't like were the fire coming from the tributes from District 12, and how the cameraI actually really liked this movie. The acting was amazing, the movie was similar to the book, and I felt a lot of real emotions during this. This movie was just what I imagined in the book. Jennifer Lawrence did a particularly good job as Katniss, and the special effects were mostly good. Two things I didn't like were the fire coming from the tributes from District 12, and how the camera shook unnecessarily. I enjoyed this as I had read the book, but I reckon if you didn't read the book you would be quite confused as there was not a huge explanation and background. I am complimenting the book here, but I loved the plot and idea it. Overall, amazing! Full review here on my blog: http://seungsviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/movie-review-hunger-games.html Expand
  21. Apr 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Youâ Expand
  22. Apr 12, 2012
    The sci-fi elements, the characters, and situations were engaging and thought-provoking. But the story-telling was weak as there was very little tension,and the action scenes were difficult to follow and resolved too quickly. Worse, the movie had NO climax and then was abruptly over after a brief battle with a weak cliche antagonist and some poorly conceived CGI wolf creatures. Overall, IThe sci-fi elements, the characters, and situations were engaging and thought-provoking. But the story-telling was weak as there was very little tension,and the action scenes were difficult to follow and resolved too quickly. Worse, the movie had NO climax and then was abruptly over after a brief battle with a weak cliche antagonist and some poorly conceived CGI wolf creatures. Overall, I walked away satisfied but disappointed. Expand
  23. Apr 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this film is an OK process of the book but deferentially needed to be worked on especially the explaining of her father. this film did well with the costumes and the acting but the scene between Katniss and Peeta is not something i would of put them together for. this made the atmosphere disrupting and course them both to not look in love but having more of a "i have to do this if i want money" so over all 7.5 is my rating and i'm hoping this film makes up for it the second time round. Expand
  24. Apr 13, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed both the book and film of "The Hunger Games". The cast was chosen correctly and the scenes were made both hooking and exciting. Despite a few changes to the film from the book, it was a great family film and i encourage you to see it!
  25. Apr 14, 2012
    I didnt like this movie to much.
    It was boring to me.
    The concept behind it was retarded.
    Who has kids killing other kids?
    Straight from the start you just knew how it was going to turn out.
  26. Apr 19, 2012
    First of all, this is a 2-Dramamine movie - one of those films, like "The Hurt Locker" where the camera operator shakes it around on purpose, most likely to convince you that it's a dramatic scene. The result neither increases the tension nor settles the stomach. It does, however, draw attention to itself, reminding you that there's a guy/woman holding a camera and that we're watching aFirst of all, this is a 2-Dramamine movie - one of those films, like "The Hurt Locker" where the camera operator shakes it around on purpose, most likely to convince you that it's a dramatic scene. The result neither increases the tension nor settles the stomach. It does, however, draw attention to itself, reminding you that there's a guy/woman holding a camera and that we're watching a movie. Aside from that, and aside from the usual "Let's get to know the contestants before we kill them" format (in fairness, quite unavoidable if it's to remain true to the book), this isn't a bad action movie. We all know how much the book owes to Shirley Jackson ("The Lottery"), but then we all know how JK Rowlings borrowed liberally. I don't begrudge them that. I'm just hoping they hold the damn camera still in the next movie. Expand
  27. Sep 1, 2012
    So this is it? This movie is very disappointing as it brings zero excitement. The authors vision of the world is really naive. I expected the main character to "crush the system" in some interesting way, while she just bowed down to it. There is nothing thrilling in action scenes, neither nothing touching in the plot. My final reaction was a big question mark when I saw the "heroes"So this is it? This movie is very disappointing as it brings zero excitement. The authors vision of the world is really naive. I expected the main character to "crush the system" in some interesting way, while she just bowed down to it. There is nothing thrilling in action scenes, neither nothing touching in the plot. My final reaction was a big question mark when I saw the "heroes" smiling to the cameras and just returning home. I can only think of recommending this movie to young kids but there's this overall violence that makes it questionable. Expand
  28. May 10, 2012
    Having never read the books, but still wanting too, I decided to watch the film first so that I would not be able to judge the film on its accuracy. Each moment of The Hunger Games was suspenseful magic, complemented by a fantastically acted cast and enjoyable characters. Each moment was genius, and I exited the cinema as I entered, wanting to see the film.
  29. May 11, 2012
    Bad character development. Weak/unmemorable action sequences. Boring characters. Uninteresting world. Shaky cam that won't let you focus in on anything. Some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen. & it doesn't even follow the book all that well........so how is this a good movie?
  30. Oct 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thrilling,Engaging and entertaining dystopian action sci-fiction flick. Really liked the visuals and all the action scenes. This is the real deal of Dram and action. Screenplay,costumes and make up all are decent. Especially the make up and movie sets are very beautiful and elegant which make the people from novel come to life. Now,considering the novel,this movie adaption misses a few things i wanted to see onscreen. One is I expected it to be more violent onscreen with a R Rating but they made PG-13 Stuff, i don't know why,to make more money i guess. That shaky cinematography too. some of the important messages had been cut down. These things really disappoint me because i loved the novel and wanted it to be more precise. other than that it is good popcorn entertainer. Loved Jennifer Lawrence though. Acting is far far better than that Kristen-NO-Expression-Stewart. Not only Jennifer but all the actors did their job very good. Now looking forward to sequels.Hope they will be better. Expand
  31. May 12, 2012
    This was one awesome movie. Me and my wife went last weekend and we really enjoyed it. The cast was great and the costumes were out of this world. We left the movie theatre and were quiet in the car for a few minutes trying to rethink the movie and that what ifs...Definately a movie to go see.
  32. May 12, 2012
    Definitely could have been better. It had a fake feel to it something about the camera angles was weird or something. i cant put my finger on. anyways rated it 7 cause it was entertaining above all.
  33. May 15, 2012
    The trailer didn't really appeal to me, but the reviews were good, both from professionals and the paying public alike so we gave it a go. Was it worth it? Absolutely! The Hunger Games is simply a grown up teen drama, playing around with ideas and inspiration from Greek mythology, namely Theseus And The Minotaur, as well as the Roman Games.

But, quite correctly translating both into a

But, quite correctly translating both into a more modern, Orwellian styled reality TV language, perfectly tailored for the time that we live in. Based on a series of novels only four years old themselves, by Suzanne Collins who also co-wrote the screenplay, The Hunger Games is everything to the genre of teen melodrama that Twilight isn't.

The film is also held together by solid performances from the cast, led by Jennifer Lawrence, who as Katniss Everdeen, the only child ever to volunteer for the games, who does so to save her sister, delivers and low-key but intense turn. But so do her co-stars, whether it be Josh Hutcherson as her love interest or Woody Harellson who almost steals the show at times.

The Hunger Games deals with mature subject matters, in a mature way all the way through, seeming not to shy away from the brutal and horrific topic of children murdering each other for the entertainment of the masses, without actually showing too much. But the intensity of the violence and the tone can a times be disturbing without be income distasteful. A fine line expertly walked by director Gary Ross.

But it's not just the violent content that works here, so does the satire and political subtext, and boy is there subtext. The characters are well-rounded and their lives as well as their traumas are played out with a real sense of plausibility. And that is the key to a film like this. This is a fantasy film playing around with mythology and political satire. All of which can easily come crashing down but steering a steady ship and believing in your world goes along way to drawing in the audience to that world, which in many ways is filled with potholes, but who cares.

The tone is more than engaging enough to hold us and that is in the end in the key to the film. Certainly a MUST for Twilight fans, to see what a real female role model looks like...
  34. May 20, 2012
    First off, I have read all of the Hunger Games trilogy books. Second, this movie was a pretty spot on representation of the books. The action was gritty thanks to the director. The close up face shots and jagged angles added to the intensity. That said, there were a few "shaky cam" moments that could have been avoided. The fighting was brutal, and the subject of kids killing eachother isFirst off, I have read all of the Hunger Games trilogy books. Second, this movie was a pretty spot on representation of the books. The action was gritty thanks to the director. The close up face shots and jagged angles added to the intensity. That said, there were a few "shaky cam" moments that could have been avoided. The fighting was brutal, and the subject of kids killing eachother is always kind of dark. I think showing the graphic murder of these young people nails the point home. The Capital in this film is bad, and they are ruthless. I hope to see the next two be even better than this one. Expand
  35. Nov 23, 2013
    "The Hunger Games" is ferociously intense and thrilling. It's powerfully acted, thought-provoking and faithful to the novel. So prepare yourselves, because you're gonna have a hell of a ride. I do hope "Catching Fire" would turn out just like this one, or hopefully even better.
  36. May 17, 2012
    Before seeing this movie I had no knowledge of what The Hunger Games was about. This movie was very interesting and different from many films out there that I have personally seen. I enjoyed it, when the action started it didn't fail to keep me on the edge of my seat. But the first hour of the movie, which was before all of the action, wasn't very exciting and it failed to keep myBefore seeing this movie I had no knowledge of what The Hunger Games was about. This movie was very interesting and different from many films out there that I have personally seen. I enjoyed it, when the action started it didn't fail to keep me on the edge of my seat. But the first hour of the movie, which was before all of the action, wasn't very exciting and it failed to keep my attention at some points. I guess all movies need some sort of build up to the awesome parts. Overall, the movie was great. Expand
  37. May 17, 2012
    To be completely honest The Hunger Games did nothing for me. Yes i've read the book, Yes I loved the book, Yes I watched the movie, In fact twice. Most scenes in the movie can't even be compared to the Book. Maybe it's because this is the first time where I've read the book before the movie, if thats the case I will be very disappointed in the hobbit. Anyway, I rate this movie a 5, merelyTo be completely honest The Hunger Games did nothing for me. Yes i've read the book, Yes I loved the book, Yes I watched the movie, In fact twice. Most scenes in the movie can't even be compared to the Book. Maybe it's because this is the first time where I've read the book before the movie, if thats the case I will be very disappointed in the hobbit. Anyway, I rate this movie a 5, merely for the greatness of the book, not the movie. Expand
  38. May 18, 2012
    My children are big fans of the books and quite enjoyed the movie. For myself, I've not read the books, but found the movie fun and easy-to-follow. Some of the futuristic styling seemed overly cheesy to me, but in general I enjoyed myself and would happily watch it again.
  39. May 29, 2012
    Having read the books, I was dissappointed by this one. Storyline was too bogged down by bad acting and souless characters. It seems unfair to compare the movie to the book. But the movie is just not good. The drama aspect was terribly done, but what do expect from the same director of a movie about a mentally retarded horse. Gary Ross, stop while you're ahead.
  40. Aug 4, 2012
    This was a good movie, not great, not groundbreaking, but a solid film. The Hunger Games has a striking plot, and is well adapted to the screen by the director and screenwriters, for the most part. For the part that's not; they failed to make this film the steering social commentary that it wishes to be. They touched on various themes, but didn't do much with it, or give as much insight,This was a good movie, not great, not groundbreaking, but a solid film. The Hunger Games has a striking plot, and is well adapted to the screen by the director and screenwriters, for the most part. For the part that's not; they failed to make this film the steering social commentary that it wishes to be. They touched on various themes, but didn't do much with it, or give as much insight, as one may desire. The movie focuses on a televised death match ritual, to entertain the elite and keep the masses at bay. With a plot like that, a bit more could have been done in the way of thematic complexities. What director, Gary Ross, did right, was narrate a good, tightly woven story to the screen and managed action and character development well. Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson give good performances here. However, I wasn't too keen on Josh Hutcherson's work, but fortunately Lawrence does enough acting for both of them. The film was a visual treat, thanks to unique costumes, makeup and hairstyles, which gave it a sometimes whimsical look. Whether or not you are familiar with the books (which I'm not) this should be a satisfying film, which marks a solid adaptation. Lets see what the future holds for this franchise. Expand
  41. May 20, 2012
    I found hunger games the book to be quite enjoyable but this movie does little to take the interesting universe and make it into a compelling film. Pacing is off with the movie being either too much action or too much silently looking off into the distance. The main character is supposed to be a great thinker and strategist, but there is no attempt to display her cleverness, she's justI found hunger games the book to be quite enjoyable but this movie does little to take the interesting universe and make it into a compelling film. Pacing is off with the movie being either too much action or too much silently looking off into the distance. The main character is supposed to be a great thinker and strategist, but there is no attempt to display her cleverness, she's just mute most of the time. The action which does occur suffers from lazy "shaky cam" shots. And the sets and characters are all far to clean and precise to feel real. It's like watching a stage drama put on at your local park. Still the saving grace is the source material which still manages to save the whole production to some degree by taking place in such a strange compelling world. Expand
  42. May 18, 2012
    This movie is horrible compared to the book.
    This movie is so overrated and liked by all the teen-twilight fans.
    So stupid, but whatever....
    The movie is horrible
  43. Aug 22, 2012
    It was a long movie and not a lot of real time action. The scenes bounced some as if the camera person was moving/running. But it was entertaining enough to sit through if yo have 2 + hours to burn.
  44. May 21, 2012
    The book had more charm and justice. Its an okay movie. I guess... but both the book and the movie suffer from a uniteresting and boring start. I don't really suggest spending too much money on this.
  45. May 23, 2012
    I went to see this movie with my girlfriend and it seemed to me as if this is some sort of predictable cliche story. Don't get me wrong It's OK movie if you are not interesting in something that's brain challenging. It's like watching SF movie without science and fiction in it, you know that story is hollow and impossible to happen in real life, but who cares if you have couple of hours ofI went to see this movie with my girlfriend and it seemed to me as if this is some sort of predictable cliche story. Don't get me wrong It's OK movie if you are not interesting in something that's brain challenging. It's like watching SF movie without science and fiction in it, you know that story is hollow and impossible to happen in real life, but who cares if you have couple of hours of spare time to waste. Expand
  46. Jun 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games is more of an action-driven flick than it is a political allegory, but it presents itself in fine style. This new young-adult hit is right in between Twilight and Harry Potter as far as artistic quality, being far more sophisticated and superior to Twilight, but not quite as good or monumental as Harry Potter.
  47. May 25, 2012
    I am like a lot of the movie goers and many of the "want to see this film" viewers who hasn't even read the book. I saw all of the Harry Potter films, and yet, I still didn't read those books either. My point here is that we should remember that a good amount of the viewers of this movie hasn't read the book and solely came to watch it for its entertainment purpose. I am one of thoseI am like a lot of the movie goers and many of the "want to see this film" viewers who hasn't even read the book. I saw all of the Harry Potter films, and yet, I still didn't read those books either. My point here is that we should remember that a good amount of the viewers of this movie hasn't read the book and solely came to watch it for its entertainment purpose. I am one of those people. Prior to the movie, I knew the jest of what it was about. Pretty simple story, really: The movie is set in the future where a boy and a girl is chosen randomly from each district in the nation to fight to the death, all while the nation is watching it on television. The viewers of this movie follow Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) and Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in district 12.
    The cast itself was well chosen. I have seen Josh Hutcherson in a couple of movies prior to this film and I find it interesting how he has grown into this more mature character. I have seen Katniss Everdeen before as well and I wasn't surprised to see her portray this tough and almost what seemed angry character in this film. The plot was kind of bland for me. It was well done, but for me the story seemed to repeat itself with challenges. The challenges were either nature related or it had to deal with betrayal. The climax of the film, now that I think of it, was hard to find. I knew there was a point to where the end of the movie had to soon be over, but I also remember wondering when the movie was. It was hard to pick out the climax
    The action sequences were good and they kept my attention. I have to point out that the movie set designs were really well done. You could tell that this movie was set on the future based off of the costuming and the set design. Overall, the problem that I had with this movie was that it just seemed that everything seemed too cliche. Many of the conflicts, the dialogue, the characters...they have all been used before in many other movies. I felt like I had read the book before and I knew what was going to happen. Was I disappointed with this film? No. This is kind of what I expected out of it. A lot of young readers created a lot of build up for a movie that based itself off of the book that they read. Media, previews, gossip...it all created build up for something that just turned out good in the end- not great. Luckily, I knew what the movie was about before I saw it, sot that I wouldn't have been too disappointed.
    This was a movie worth watching and I may watch it once or twice again when the time arrives randomly, but I feel as though this movie will be forgotten.
  48. Aug 19, 2012
    To be totally honest, I didn't like the book. But the movie was a lot better. Very suspenseful, rich plot, several twists, and unexpected surprises around every corner, you need to see this movie.
  49. Aug 23, 2012
    I am always very skeptical to see anything made from teen material, but was pleasantly surprised by Hunger Games. The premise does feel familiar, but done in a more interesting way then we have seen before. This movie is well written,well acted, and looks great. The action plays out in a pretty cool way and ends on an emotional note. I am hopeful that going forward this does not turn intoI am always very skeptical to see anything made from teen material, but was pleasantly surprised by Hunger Games. The premise does feel familiar, but done in a more interesting way then we have seen before. This movie is well written,well acted, and looks great. The action plays out in a pretty cool way and ends on an emotional note. I am hopeful that going forward this does not turn into a love triangle movie, in which case I will be "Team I Don't Care". But based on the first act alone, this is a pretty cool story line. Expand
  50. Jun 9, 2012
    I think it is the best movie ever, except for the fact that it was not completely true to the book. It skipped most of the actual games, some of the foods, and the costumes are a little different than in the book. It was still a great movie!!!!!! Some of the quotes were not in it, though...
    Still AWESOME!! I highly recommend it.

-kataangforever1
  51. Jun 9, 2012
    The book Hunger Games was published in 2008 and the film released in 2012. It shows a sophisticated society. Although it is impossible not to notice all the similarities with the japanese film Battle Royale, released in 2000, eight years before. In this film, students are kidnapped in a excursion trip and wake up with a head-explosive-collar. They were selected to a life and death gameThe book Hunger Games was published in 2008 and the film released in 2012. It shows a sophisticated society. Although it is impossible not to notice all the similarities with the japanese film Battle Royale, released in 2000, eight years before. In this film, students are kidnapped in a excursion trip and wake up with a head-explosive-collar. They were selected to a life and death game with only one survivor or none at all. Each one receive a backpack with food, drink, lantern and one weapon or survival device. Each six hours they are informed about the dead and the danger zones to be avoided in order not to explode their necks. Alliances are made and death follows the smallest suspicion. Previous infatuations and enmities are explicited. Enfasis centers in the animal inside all of us and how thick is the civil layer of our personalities and our survival willingness. Hunger Games is much more complex, however it is impossible to deny so many similarities Expand
  52. Jun 9, 2012
    Honestly, from the beginning of the movie I did not understand what was going on. Though as the movie progressed it did make sense, this movie has a GREAT script, Very good actors, some special effects, the perfect amount! Very diverse , suspenseful movie! Its totally a GO!
  53. Aug 17, 2012
    Pretty close to the book and although it's a 2,5 hour film they had to compress events and characters a quite bit. People that got plenty of time in the book now don't even get called by name and some interesting background details and subplots get lost. The acting is excellent but the lack of budget is noticable in some less then perfect VFX shots and they hide the lack of extensive setsPretty close to the book and although it's a 2,5 hour film they had to compress events and characters a quite bit. People that got plenty of time in the book now don't even get called by name and some interesting background details and subplots get lost. The acting is excellent but the lack of budget is noticable in some less then perfect VFX shots and they hide the lack of extensive sets by keeping the camera (too) close to the actors. A good film but it certainly helps to have read the book. Expand
  54. Jun 13, 2012
    Read the book before watching this film, it will help you to understand everything better. The film is ok and Woody Harrelson is good in it. Its not violent enough and i appreciate the certification but it would have hit home more if it was more explicit violence-wise. My tip is to watch Battle Royale instead, its a simiar plot but a much better film.
  55. Jun 18, 2012
    The Hunger Games was great thanks to the somewhat raw performance by Jennifer Lawrence. She is a great actress but I wasn't really expecting to be blown away like I was. The hunger Games flows very very smoothly and the pacing is swift and just about perfect. Remaining exceptionally true to the source material and capturing the world of Panem almost to a T, It's a great movie and I wouldThe Hunger Games was great thanks to the somewhat raw performance by Jennifer Lawrence. She is a great actress but I wasn't really expecting to be blown away like I was. The hunger Games flows very very smoothly and the pacing is swift and just about perfect. Remaining exceptionally true to the source material and capturing the world of Panem almost to a T, It's a great movie and I would just about recommend it to anyone. Expand
  56. Jun 19, 2012
    No Movie is as good as the book,so we cant ask for anything more than this. The begging of the movie was painful to watch, with boring and lenghty explanatory scene it almost killed me to watch. When the hunger games strarted the action scenes were short and the camera was shaking this was in order, to achieve a pg-13 rating. The end of the movie was like the book but for some reason inNo Movie is as good as the book,so we cant ask for anything more than this. The begging of the movie was painful to watch, with boring and lenghty explanatory scene it almost killed me to watch. When the hunger games strarted the action scenes were short and the camera was shaking this was in order, to achieve a pg-13 rating. The end of the movie was like the book but for some reason in the book sounded better. Well movies will be movies Expand
  57. Jun 19, 2012
    given that i read the 3 books in a weekend i cannot deny the fact that the story is awesome. i think the movie did not do the books justice but no movie usually does the book justice. would recommend the books though
  58. Jun 20, 2012
    Disappointing. Had a good start but ultimately failed to live up to the series. Arena done well but not so accurately to the book. Captured gore but failed to give a sense of emotion to the viewers.
  59. Dec 18, 2012
    I liked the plot of this film, the post-apocalyptic era and the twisted way to punish the kids by holding annual games in which they have to kill to win, pretty disturbing yet exciting. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was really great. May the odds be ever in her favor.
  60. May 12, 2013
    As a fan of the source material, I was looking forward for the movie adaptation. After the film ended, I came to the conclusion that the book was better, because it contained a bit more information. However, the result they presented to us by far exceeded my expectations and led me to think that The Hunger Games not only was a great time, as it was one of the most faithful adaptations IAs a fan of the source material, I was looking forward for the movie adaptation. After the film ended, I came to the conclusion that the book was better, because it contained a bit more information. However, the result they presented to us by far exceeded my expectations and led me to think that The Hunger Games not only was a great time, as it was one of the most faithful adaptations I had ever seen. The movie's tone is exactly what you get while reading the novel, and it captures that dramatic violence and raw emotion the characters were submited to. The acting is powerful and it greatly benefits from Jennifer Lawrence's blow-minding portrayl of Katniss, who will certainly become one of the most beloved heroines of all time. Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth are a perfect match for a love triangle, that unlike the Twilight franchise it actually works. Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci were capable enough of throwing a little comedic timing on the first half to relief a bit of the pressure that the audience itself catches, because you are rooting for the characters throughout this journey. In the end, The Hunger Games is superbly acted and provides us the best take we could have ever been provided to such a inspirational story of hope, motivation, rebelion and most importantly political corruption and its consequences. Expand
  61. Jul 9, 2012
    Definitely worth the time and money. Although this came out a while ago, I'm still going to review it for those who haven't seen it. Action, romance, and suspense. It's all in this movie. The characters are put to the test and they have to prove that they are fully capable of survival. Most aren't. What I find most interesting is the political message that this film presents. It's aDefinitely worth the time and money. Although this came out a while ago, I'm still going to review it for those who haven't seen it. Action, romance, and suspense. It's all in this movie. The characters are put to the test and they have to prove that they are fully capable of survival. Most aren't. What I find most interesting is the political message that this film presents. It's a message, and a warning, about the dangers of totalitarianism and materialism. For totalitarianism, it's the whole reason why the, "Hunger Games," exist. The government wants to make sure that it's citizens are under control. For materialism, throughout the film we see the expressions and glorification of people and objects. Possessions are what bring importance and notability. It's a stark reminder of what we, as people, need to hold up as important in our society. Although we may all enjoy this film, it goes a lot further than the portrayal of a competitive, and deadly, game. Expand
  62. Jul 9, 2012
    Being a major fan of the books, i was expecting alot out of the movie. I went into the movie theater thinking it was going to disappoint me, and came out corrected. I was amazingly blown away and moved by the movie. I was so proud of what Gary Ross did with the movie and he did a great job with the risky choice of a handheld camera. There was not one point in the movie where you weren't onBeing a major fan of the books, i was expecting alot out of the movie. I went into the movie theater thinking it was going to disappoint me, and came out corrected. I was amazingly blown away and moved by the movie. I was so proud of what Gary Ross did with the movie and he did a great job with the risky choice of a handheld camera. There was not one point in the movie where you weren't on the edge of your seat, watching for what happened next. But, i have to admit i was disappointed that their was alot left out from the books, but everything in the movie was already spot on to the book, that i didn't worry to much about it! I loved it, the actors were perfect for the roles. Jennifer Lawrence did a spectacular job and Josh Hutcherson was the perfect love interest. I loved it, very well done. And i think i speak on behalf of all the fans when i say this, We are SO ready for "Catching Fire". I loved the romance and i loved the action of the movie, the cave scenes and the kiss were spot on and emotional. Fantastic Job, Ross. Expand
  63. Jul 12, 2012
    I was so excited but also so concerned that they were going to screw up this movie, based on a book that is one of my favorites. But I am pleased to say, they did great! The casting is great, the story is great, the direction is great (but, maybe a little bit too much shaky cam?) and the pacing is great. Of course, some parts of the book weren't included, but that's to be expected with anI was so excited but also so concerned that they were going to screw up this movie, based on a book that is one of my favorites. But I am pleased to say, they did great! The casting is great, the story is great, the direction is great (but, maybe a little bit too much shaky cam?) and the pacing is great. Of course, some parts of the book weren't included, but that's to be expected with an adaption of a novel. Expand
  64. Jan 28, 2013
    The Hunger Games was overall a good movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly and feel like it did an extremely good job connecting you with it's characters. This film is exciting and engaging. The entire cast did a good job in this film and I would easily recommend this film to friends. The only problem that I had with this film is that sometimes when there were characters being killed the cameraThe Hunger Games was overall a good movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly and feel like it did an extremely good job connecting you with it's characters. This film is exciting and engaging. The entire cast did a good job in this film and I would easily recommend this film to friends. The only problem that I had with this film is that sometimes when there were characters being killed the camera got very shaky making it hard to tell what's going on sometimes but this was most likely an attempt to avoid a "R" rating. All and all The Hunger Games is a good movie and very entertaining! Expand
  65. b3_
    Jul 15, 2012
    I hated this movie. I had no expectations when going to see it having not read the book or barley having seen the trailer. This film was just far too long and It is rare that I get so bored in the cinema that I either want to sleep or leave.. I did not care for the characters at all as they were unbelievable and annoying. The acting was mediocre to bad and again gave an emphasis to thisI hated this movie. I had no expectations when going to see it having not read the book or barley having seen the trailer. This film was just far too long and It is rare that I get so bored in the cinema that I either want to sleep or leave.. I did not care for the characters at all as they were unbelievable and annoying. The acting was mediocre to bad and again gave an emphasis to this fake vibe I was getting. The film was just one big lame cliche for me. Time and time again out of the all the odds things would work out for the main character. I know this is typical for movies, but I was actually thinking 'are they serious?'. Without going into any more detail or spoilers I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone over 18, or anyone who likes music because background music in this movie was almost nonexistent. Expand
  66. Sep 4, 2012
    A very intense revolutionary and spell-binding ride, that as it is exceptionally original, it is the container and surely, the master of all things suspense. Definetly, a must-see!
  67. Jul 17, 2012
    In preparation for seeing the movie, I decided to read the books and loved them. Because of this, I had high expectations for the movie, and I can say it certainly delivered. The film is very close to the book, making it a very character-driven adventure. It does a great job of adapting to the screen, whether it's by adding small scenes that weren't in the book in order to explain thingsIn preparation for seeing the movie, I decided to read the books and loved them. Because of this, I had high expectations for the movie, and I can say it certainly delivered. The film is very close to the book, making it a very character-driven adventure. It does a great job of adapting to the screen, whether it's by adding small scenes that weren't in the book in order to explain things in movie format, or by taking out unnecessary small scenes that would make the movie drag on, it is clear the writers and director knew what they were doing. In the end, this makes it a solid flick with engaging characters, thriller action, and great performances. Expand
  68. Jul 19, 2012
    It was a good movie with an amazing performance by Jennifer Lawrence and terrific costume design. But every movie has it's flaws and with this one: the fans.
  69. Jul 21, 2012
    For me it's always an exciting, strong experience when watching a book that influenced and inspired me so much turn into a movie. The result was quite good, mostly because of the outstanding, strong, amazing acting of Jennifer Lawrence. I was amazed by the fact that the movie stays loyal to the book and frankly it was quite close to it. The outcome is mesmerizing. Many scenes wereFor me it's always an exciting, strong experience when watching a book that influenced and inspired me so much turn into a movie. The result was quite good, mostly because of the outstanding, strong, amazing acting of Jennifer Lawrence. I was amazed by the fact that the movie stays loyal to the book and frankly it was quite close to it. The outcome is mesmerizing. Many scenes were emotionally strong. The acting, again mostly by Jennifer lawrence who was so believable in the movie made the movie the way it is. She brought out katniss characteristicts perfectly and her performance was unbelievable! Some of the scenes like Rue's death or the final battle with Cato were amazing. I was crying at least two times during the movie cuz there were scenes so emotionally strong. The details in the movie were quite good but I think they left so many important details out. The brutality which is a big un missing, strong detail in the book was lowered basically to nothing which was disappointing cuz the movie could rise itself to a whole new better level if the director was more daring. Some of the actors were not present enough like Josh Hutcherson has Peeta. There were so many scenes between him and katniss in the book that shows how amazing he is and sadly they left it out. Over all it was a great movie. Warth the money and time. I hope they're going to dare more in the next movie "catching fire" and I hope they're going to bring it to a whole new level. Collapse
  70. Aug 24, 2012
    Whilst I have not read the books, I thought the film was very well done but was drawn-out far too long. Gary Ross does brilliantly when building the tenision and the cast were superb. The climax was slightly predicatable but still encapsulated the clever twists and turns for which I think the novels are famous for. Woody Harrelson is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors afterWhilst I have not read the books, I thought the film was very well done but was drawn-out far too long. Gary Ross does brilliantly when building the tenision and the cast were superb. The climax was slightly predicatable but still encapsulated the clever twists and turns for which I think the novels are famous for. Woody Harrelson is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors after turning in another superb display. Expand
  71. Jul 23, 2012
    It has some disturbing images but I like the arena part.A survival battle.I want to see Catching Fire and mockingjay part one and two.In box office the number one.
  72. Jul 25, 2012
    The film remains faithful to the basics of the books for characters, major plot events, settings, and overall theme of taking a stand against corrupted power. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is the character from the start. For non-believers, any doubts should be erased by the scene with Cinna just before the launch. Josh Hutcherson gradually comes to life as Peeta: strong, sensitive, andThe film remains faithful to the basics of the books for characters, major plot events, settings, and overall theme of taking a stand against corrupted power. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is the character from the start. For non-believers, any doubts should be erased by the scene with Cinna just before the launch. Josh Hutcherson gradually comes to life as Peeta: strong, sensitive, and utterly likable. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch may have differed a bit from the book, but was still on target and attention-getting. Donald Sutherland as President Snow makes you listen to every word, a commanding presence.

Unfortunately, the rushed pace of the film, especially the actual games, made it difficult to identify with/care about characters other than Katniss and Peeta, or respond to some as villains other than Cato. The character of Rue had potential but lacked development, not much time for audience to bond with her. Some memorable lines of dialogue were cut from book, like the ones Haymitch yelled at the reaping. Overall, the gripes are minor, a promising start to the film version of the series for readers of the book.
  73. Jul 31, 2012
    All of my friends raved about this movie, and I now know why! It was amazing and had me totally hooked. I immediately went to the bookstore afterwards and bought all of the books. Upon completing the first book (in a matter of hours), I discovered the movie follows the book extremely well. I don't understand the negative reviews, unless some people are so dense they can only understandAll of my friends raved about this movie, and I now know why! It was amazing and had me totally hooked. I immediately went to the bookstore afterwards and bought all of the books. Upon completing the first book (in a matter of hours), I discovered the movie follows the book extremely well. I don't understand the negative reviews, unless some people are so dense they can only understand nonstop action. In any case, if you like futuristic plots and a great premise, I recommend it. Expand
  74. Aug 9, 2012
    totally overrated and just flat out boring. during the action scenes the camera moved back and forth so much that i swear to God the cameraman was drunk off his ass
  75. Aug 10, 2012
    Exciting yet incredibly uncomfortable/unnerving all at the same time, this film delivers a powerful message, but eventually wears out its welcome, running about a half hour too long.
  76. Aug 18, 2012
    This is a 7.2, the book is a lot more descriptive than the movie, and I thought too much was left out from the book. Though the movie was good, I would recommend reading the book first.
  77. Aug 16, 2012
    I,as a 27 year old person am very disappointed about the film,but glad not to read the book.I respect who watched and liked the film but in my opinion,the script was so much ordinary.There were only tiny little bit action and drama in this film.This film is like the ''first'' film of an ordinary(not good,just ordinary) director. Last words,unless you are between 6-16,and like to take aI,as a 27 year old person am very disappointed about the film,but glad not to read the book.I respect who watched and liked the film but in my opinion,the script was so much ordinary.There were only tiny little bit action and drama in this film.This film is like the ''first'' film of an ordinary(not good,just ordinary) director. Last words,unless you are between 6-16,and like to take a nap while watching movies,don not ever think about seeing this film... Expand
  78. Aug 20, 2012
    Hunger Games may be just the first chapter of a trilogy, but it works and works alone as summer entertainment. Admittedly his dystopian approach and simplified presentation of some more complex issues very quickly ends up hurting the potential of the film, but it does not lose in interest and competence, even why, despite owning a certain differential in comparison to other similarHunger Games may be just the first chapter of a trilogy, but it works and works alone as summer entertainment. Admittedly his dystopian approach and simplified presentation of some more complex issues very quickly ends up hurting the potential of the film, but it does not lose in interest and competence, even why, despite owning a certain differential in comparison to other similar productions public, should not be judged outside of its purview. In short, Hunger Games is a film for the purpose of entertaining mor-made ​​for a younger audience and this aspect fulfills its function well. Expand
  79. Aug 21, 2012
    Lame Movie... not worth watching and disappointing :(

The main story is not believable or not justified in the movie (I did not read the book , but I'm sure it's better), the whole movie is slow paced (specially the beginning) and it had almost no action at all . You'll not really care about the main character , and I was not convinced by the stupid connections between main
    Lame Movie... not worth watching and disappointing :(

You'll not really care about the main character , and I was not convinced by the stupid connections between main characters (where the love came from all of a sudden).
    Also little kids just jump into killing other human beings that easily?? and be good at it and even enjoy it ...!!!
  80. Aug 22, 2012
    A poor rip-off of Battle Royale. I'm pretty sure the book is interesting, but this movie was a gross disaster. A bunch of unexplained cut-scene, poorly constructed story, illogical actions. Very disapointed and I really don't see why people like this?
  81. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much wasted potential. I really loved the good dystopian atmosphere of the movie beginning, but when it came to the games - it started becoming less good. The strange turn of events, unnecessarily lengthy cheesy and "dramatic" sequences. I didn't like the thing that there were fireballs thrown to the main character and those giant dogs in the end. Just kills all the immersion. The other thing I didn't like - the main hero is not just so good, she just always gets lucky, so that means any other lucky guy can be on her place, I mean you can't see why she is the one to win, there is always someone/something to help her. Otherwise the actors are good, I always like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson on screen. Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie though I do not regret the wasted time. Expand
  82. Sep 1, 2012
    The Book was much more exiting and detailed than the movie
    The hunger games [The movie] was very undetailed and the acting was terrible too
    If you havent read the book you cannot understand ANYTHING! I read the book after the movie
    Im giving a 4 because it wasent a waste of my time either and its more surprising when its on a film than in a book
  83. Sep 1, 2012
    I wonder is this Film would have been as thrilling to see without having read the books. The only thing keeping this movie from being a 10 is the fact that the book has so much more flavor and nuance. The only thing giving this movie a 9 is seeing my book-fueled imagination come to life. By itself, anyone can enjoy Hunger Games and walk away thouroughly entertained. Read the bookI wonder is this Film would have been as thrilling to see without having read the books. The only thing keeping this movie from being a 10 is the fact that the book has so much more flavor and nuance. The only thing giving this movie a 9 is seeing my book-fueled imagination come to life. By itself, anyone can enjoy Hunger Games and walk away thouroughly entertained. Read the book before the movie (and suspend your hopes of seeing a direct interpretation of the book), and you will enjoy the Film so much more. Expand
  84. Sep 29, 2012
    Best movie of the year by far. The Hunger Games is a stunning visual phenomenon. The special effects is what won me over. The tension keeps you on the edge of your seat. At the time I watched this movie, I had not read the book. Therefore, I had no idea whatsoever of what was going to happen. I was still stunned! But now I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and am workingBest movie of the year by far. The Hunger Games is a stunning visual phenomenon. The special effects is what won me over. The tension keeps you on the edge of your seat. At the time I watched this movie, I had not read the book. Therefore, I had no idea whatsoever of what was going to happen. I was still stunned! But now I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and am working on the second. Expand
  85. Oct 15, 2012
    Despite a few minor problems, The Hunger Games proves to be a promising start to what will no doubt become the next beloved Hollywood mega-series ,The new Twilight? We don't think so. This is much better . . .
  86. Dec 20, 2012
    I can see why people don't like this movie. For what it's worth- I really liked it. i thought it was well done, the effects are nicely done. However, it's a good movie. Not the best movie ever made, but still, a well done film that isn't to be overlooked.
  87. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think that The hunger games is one of the best movie ever and if you don't agree with me I can say that you are very stuped person! This is my opinion! Expand
  88. Nov 5, 2012
    Feels kind of like a giant game of paintball. The setting is convoluted and the characters go undeveloped. I want to call it a missed opportunity, but I couldn't tell you what I think that opportunity is.
  89. Nov 28, 2012
    Smart, sophisticated, and toting an exceedingly superb lead performance, "The Hunger Games" not only nails expectations - it exceeds them.
  90. Dec 1, 2012
    Spoilers. Although I have not read the book, "The Hunger Games" is an excellently-done film full of great acting, beautiful direction and truly raw drama and emotion. The violence in this film is not easy to see - where other action films often glorify brutal combat between grown men with guns, this movie is about a televised deathmatch between teens and even kids. The tension between theSpoilers. Although I have not read the book, "The Hunger Games" is an excellently-done film full of great acting, beautiful direction and truly raw drama and emotion. The violence in this film is not easy to see - where other action films often glorify brutal combat between grown men with guns, this movie is about a televised deathmatch between teens and even kids. The tension between the characters is viscerally palpable, and the hate and fear everyone lives in is one you end up feeling as well. When the games start, the suspense is tangible and startlingly authentic, and you are genuinely shocked when the violence breaks out. When Katniss's friend is killed, you feel her emotion, and the riot that breaks out in District 11 afterwards is communicated with spellbinding power. And at the end, when you learn the feelings of Cado, it is a moment that quiets you into submission, and shows how even the tough and violent kid is, ultimately, as scared and hopeless as the rest of them. It's an epic commentary and a very powerful film, and so earns a good 5 stars for its cinematic execution. Expand
  91. Dec 1, 2012
    The Hunger Games is a big blockbuster that knows how to do a film mixing action, drama, fiction, romance and adventure. I felt, when i just leave the theater after watching this film, original like it is, that a new phenomenon was born. I was right. Waiting for the sequel "Catching Fire", but while it doesn't get into the theaters, we have to enjoy this great movie.
  92. Dec 5, 2012
    The near perfect adaptation that the book deserved. Jennifer Lawrence shows that she truly is a rising star in Hollywood as she gives a flawless performance as heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Banks is surprising great as Effie, and Stanley Tucci solidifies himself as one of the best character actors around and one of the most underrated actors. The Hunger Games was intense andThe near perfect adaptation that the book deserved. Jennifer Lawrence shows that she truly is a rising star in Hollywood as she gives a flawless performance as heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Banks is surprising great as Effie, and Stanley Tucci solidifies himself as one of the best character actors around and one of the most underrated actors. The Hunger Games was intense and stylish. I loved it! Expand
  93. Apr 22, 2013
    The Hunger Games is an overall disappointment. The book tells you that this "game" comes with brutality, and the movie tells you brutality can't be found only glimpses of disturbing imagery can. For the technical categories The Hunger Games is an achievement. The pace destroys the movie though. Movies are kind of like music. They have timing. The Hunger Games threw events at you bam bamThe Hunger Games is an overall disappointment. The book tells you that this "game" comes with brutality, and the movie tells you brutality can't be found only glimpses of disturbing imagery can. For the technical categories The Hunger Games is an achievement. The pace destroys the movie though. Movies are kind of like music. They have timing. The Hunger Games threw events at you bam bam bam bam! It tried to fit everything in so well that the movies pace was to uneasy and fast leaving it with boringness and unpleasantsy. Expand
  94. Dec 21, 2012
    One of the best book adaptations of all time.
    Intense and surreal. As a bookworm, I could say that reading the book of course is better but watching this is so extreme that you just have to watch it fervently. I loved it. 10 out of 10.1 :D
  95. Jan 17, 2013
    I like this movie a lot, the action and stuff. Nice movie.
  96. Oct 21, 2013
    To be honest, I avoid this movie thinking it was going to be the next Twilight. Fortunately that is not the case. I have not read the books, nor do I care to so, so I don't have to care if it is as good as the source or not. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie allot more than I would care to admit publicly.

But I do have my gripes too: 1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were

But I do have my gripes too:

1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were believable practical gore effects too expensive? Seriously, the cinematography was terrible, at least for most of the action sequences. I almost felt like the camera man was having seizures everytime he got excited.
    2) The buildup took far too long and really did not do that great a job developing the characters. At least none of the side characters. The main character were OK but could have been better.
    3) Far too many conveniences, the narrative does stray from believability at times.

Overall:
    Even though it is a clear western copy and paste watered down version of Battle Royale, it's still allot of fun and some great performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson. It wasn't the "chick-flick" I thought it was going to be.
  97. Dec 22, 2012
    More than a decade ago, there was another sci-fi movie whose main statement wasn't so much in the plot or the characters (which were great, nevertheless), but in the aesthetics of the world depicted. That film was Gattaca, and The Hunger Games does the same, just in the opposite way: Gattaca was a dystopic society with a marvellous taste, while in the world of the Games the bad taste saysMore than a decade ago, there was another sci-fi movie whose main statement wasn't so much in the plot or the characters (which were great, nevertheless), but in the aesthetics of the world depicted. That film was Gattaca, and The Hunger Games does the same, just in the opposite way: Gattaca was a dystopic society with a marvellous taste, while in the world of the Games the bad taste says it all. Gary Ross and his team were brave enough to take such horrible outfits, hairstyles and television cliches to the big-screen, and make them the silent and haunting connection between the fiction and us. Expand
  98. Mar 26, 2014
    This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie.This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie. Overall this film is fantastic. Expand
  99. Jan 21, 2013
    All in all, it's an enjoyable movie. Because I read the book, the movie didn't seem rushed, but keeping the book out of mind, the movie seems to be quirkily put together. It is an enjoyable story, and entertaining nonetheless. Jennifer Lawrence, again, does a fantastic job.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 26, 2012
    The result is an evasive, baffling, unexciting production - anything but a classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Mar 23, 2012
    Ross manages to keep the pacing remarkably swift, given that the games themselves don't start until halfway through the 144-minute running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 23, 2012
    Katniss is gritty, she's flinty, she's intimidating -- and she doesn't have to compromise one iota of her femininity for it. And Ross' movie tells her story wonderfully.