Lionsgate | Release Date: March 23, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1782 Ratings
1,237
WATCH NOW
akino3May 30, 2017
Beautiful, not without ugly. Lively, not without deadly. Brutal, not without tender.. The hunger games depicts a so well-balanced picture of life itself. And it is shocking. How can you be so civilized and yet so savage? That's what human isBeautiful, not without ugly. Lively, not without deadly. Brutal, not without tender.. The hunger games depicts a so well-balanced picture of life itself. And it is shocking. How can you be so civilized and yet so savage? That's what human is after all, isn't it? Jennifer Lawrence acting so well here, she owns the story and explodes the emotions. Overall a very well done sci-fi here, that comes not without some heavy burden on the shoulders of humanity. I only take one point off for the costume and makeup department on the rich. I mean, what the hell was that about? I hated it. Although it may be a metaphor of the rich looking more and more like a bunch of clowns. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 27, 2017
A great action packed story. The story and effects do the story justice. It was very good after it started, because the start was awkward. It was a great story.
HPFANBOY1237Apr 9, 2017
The Hunger Games is an emotionally driven and captivating film from start to finish, even though the directing is a bit dull and distracting. A must see!
ZerpnosMar 16, 2017
Kitabı okumadım, filmi de pek izlemeyi düşünmüyordum. Sonradan bir açıp bakayım dedim, zamanı güzel harcadığım bir film oldu. Senaryo olarak orta dereceli bir senaryosu var. Kitabını okuyanlar ve hayranı olanlar tarafından linç edilebilirimKitabı okumadım, filmi de pek izlemeyi düşünmüyordum. Sonradan bir açıp bakayım dedim, zamanı güzel harcadığım bir film oldu. Senaryo olarak orta dereceli bir senaryosu var. Kitabını okuyanlar ve hayranı olanlar tarafından linç edilebilirim belki. Diğer filmleri için meraklanıyorum, onların daha güzel konusu varmış gibi duruyor. İzledikçe göreceğiz bakalım. İyi bir film izleyin. Expand
Jk9785Feb 27, 2017
Aside from headache-inducing shaky camera techniques, The Hunger Games is a good film. Good story, good acting, decent acting, and a good setup for its far superior sequel.
FreedomFightersDec 20, 2016
Starting the 2012 reviews a little far in, are we? Unfortunately, starting with 2012 and moving forward, I haven't seen as many movies as I would like to. I'm hoping to change that, but let's review what I have seen, shall we? I'll be theStarting the 2012 reviews a little far in, are we? Unfortunately, starting with 2012 and moving forward, I haven't seen as many movies as I would like to. I'm hoping to change that, but let's review what I have seen, shall we? I'll be the first to point out that I didn't read "The Hunger Games." I had no idea what the book was about when I went to see the film (I only saw it because my mom loved the books and the trailers looked good). I can safely say that the film delivered. Wonderfully acted (especially by Jennifer Lawrence) and action-packed while still featuring an interesting story and great characters, "The Hunger Games" manages to avoid falling into "YA no man's land" like many of the films "inspired" by "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" that we've seen throughout the 2010s. Some may disagree with me giving it a score this high, but I thoroughly enjoyed "The Hunger Games" from start to finish and I think it's definitely worth a look. Expand
sjultiDec 6, 2016
I love this movie the acting is a bit off on this one but it's the most original out of the four movies the premise is so interesting and it pays off, Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence are great.
Iky009Nov 27, 2016
Hunger Games is a film of those who trap the spectator from beginning to end, being able to be faithful to its source with very convincing performances and fast pace
Abbylynn99Nov 1, 2016
Why The Hunger Games?
Why The Hunger Games?
The Hunger Games is based on the books that Suzanne Collins wrote. The world of Panem is where this movie takes place. Panem has 12 Districts, all who have to provide the Capital with a resource. Such as District 12 supplies the Capital with coal, District 5 with power to all the districts and the Capital, and District 7 with lumber. Every year all the districts have to send one boy and one girl, from the ages 12 to 18, to the Capital to fight to the death till only one remains. This act of cruelty is to keep all the districts from fighting one another, or worse, fighting the capital. After this one victor remains he/she goes back to their district to live the rest of their life in peace and riches. This is called The Hunger Games.

Entertaining
Kept dozing off in the middle of the movie and couldn’t stay focused.
Most parts of the movie were really good but had more down parts to it.
Some parts of the movie could have been better but it was still really good.
Kept me fully entertained and I didn’t want the movie to end.

Evidence: I give this movie a 4/4 for entertainment. This movie keeps you on your toes through the whole movie and I never got bored with it. When you think things are going to slow down they don’t. This movie is a very exciting movie. It’s exciting because you never know what’s around the corner. Some of the things that happen, you don’t realize it’s going to happen.

Did the actors work good together
The actors didn’t work well together and could have done a lot better.
Some actors worked well together and all the others didn’t.
Only a few of the actors didn’t work well together.
All the actors made the movie come together and worked excellent together.

Evidence: I gave the actors a 4/4. I believe that the actors worked well together. When you think about who should act in this movie, you don’t think of any other actors that could have filled that roll. All the actors worked very well together and I liked the chemistry that all the actors had together. It also helps that the actors have had other jobs before this one so they are experienced. The best actor from this movie, in my opinion, is Katniss ( Jennifer Lawrence ). She follows her role very well compared to the book.

Length of the movie
It was to short or long.
It was to short or long but the movie was okay.
It could have been longer or shorter but was a good length.
It was just the right length.

Evidence: I give the length of the movie a 3/4. The length of the movie was okay. I think they could have made it longer if they wanted too but it was a good length. If it would have been longer it could have made it boring. Movies are usually 2 hours long so the movie fits into that range, but with everything going on in this movie I feel like it could have been longer. If they would have made it a shorter movie I feel like they would have left things out and it would have ended up being a bad movie.
Was the movie related to the book
The movie was nothing like the book.
Left out or added a lot of things that weren’t in the book.
Only left out or added a few things to the movie.
The movie followed the book exactly.

Evidence: I gave this movie a 3/4 for following the book. This movie did really well with sticking to the movie. There was some little thing left out of the movie that were in the book, like the cat in the movie was a different color than the cat in the book. They also left out a part that was in the book but wasn’t in the movie, it was when Katniss went into the woods to her father’s cabin. Some of these things are little things but you can tell if you pay attention.

How well did you like the movie 1 2 3 4 I didn’t like this movie at all. It was an okay movie. It was a good movie but not my favorite. It is my favorite movie. Evidence: I gave this movie a 4/4 for how well I liked the movie. This movie is one of my favorite movies. It has a lot of action in it which makes it fun. It has a little love story which makes it a nice couples movie. It is overall a great movie to watch with friends and family. Overall I give this movie a 3/4 . This movie is one of my favorite movies and I really feel like it should get this rating. The actors are good together, the overall time of the movie is good, and followed the book pretty well.
gameguardian21Sep 26, 2016
The hunger games is not a bad movie, but it's just not for me. To me, it's just like twilight, but with more action, and a ton of shaky, and less vampires.
DavidTejadaSep 11, 2016
Em.... It was OK, if you watch The Hunger Games for the first time, you won't be able to follow and understand the story very much. But don't you worry, because it is fun and with special live-actions.
reviewfrom19842Aug 10, 2016
Pretty good movie even know it has a lot of cons but hads more pros for it to be and good movie............................................................
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
A great start to the Hunger Games movies. Great performances, effects and action. The cinematography could have been smoother, but I understand it was probably to censor some of the gory scenes for younger audience members.
mrjurrianvrietApr 27, 2016
This is a movie like we've never seen before. The plot is great. The cast is awesome, I mean come on it's Jennifer Lawrence we're talking about!
/////
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
A refreshingly grim and realistic premise for an American film meant for teens. Disney it ain't and that's a strength. The weakness? Way, way too much fidelity to the source material. The first hour and a half is ponderous and keeps repeatingA refreshingly grim and realistic premise for an American film meant for teens. Disney it ain't and that's a strength. The weakness? Way, way too much fidelity to the source material. The first hour and a half is ponderous and keeps repeating plot and character points that may have been useful in the novel, but really drag the movie down at least when it pertains to the villainous characters. They are portrayed without an ounce of balance or empathy! As an artistic choice, it's fine, but then someone should have taken some liberties with the script to assure that we weren't treated to endless scenes of Tucci and company being wretched and evil. It got old very quickly. Casting was mostly well done. Rue worked for me and I believe was a true artistic choice especially in Katniss' final acts for her. Lawrence was much, much better in this role than in anything she has done before. It's the first time I've seen her reveal herself in her acting. She worked for me and the nuances of the premise made me feel like I was not watching something put out there to make the kids "feel empowered" which is 90% of teen film. To be commended. Expand
SpangleMar 11, 2016
Oh yay a terrible summer blockbuster. Stupid, insipid, generic, and an all-around disaster, it perplexes me how The Hunger Games was well received. Classic young adult nonsense featuring every action movie cliche in the history of humanity,Oh yay a terrible summer blockbuster. Stupid, insipid, generic, and an all-around disaster, it perplexes me how The Hunger Games was well received. Classic young adult nonsense featuring every action movie cliche in the history of humanity, the film occasionally pretends to show how crazy we are for loving violence and how fake television is, yet it is entirely fake itself by trying to manipulate the audience at every turn. Jennifer Lawrence is fine and Josh Hutcherson is okay, but Liam Hemsworth's acting is a joke. Every single plot turn is telegraphed and made so abundantly clear that somebody could be not watching the movie, walk in in the middle of it, and guess how it will turn out by one glance at the screen. The direction is uninspired, the film is overlong and packed to the brim with filler. Honesty, much of the beginning drags on for too long. My personal favorite part was where Woody Harrelson's character gives Jennifer Lawrence advice and she promptly ignores it. The CGI in the film is horrendous and almost comical. At one point, they approach the capital and Hutcherson's character remarks something along the lines of it, "Wow look at it" and all I could think of was changing it to say, "Wow, look at it, a CGi city in the mountains". That is how bad the CGI is. It looks like everything was overexposed. The costume design is beyond peculiar with everyone wearing bizarre get ups and weirdo hairdos. I honestly have no idea why this was done. The premise on its own is idiotic. Sacrificing 12-18 year olds to be killed every year to punish them for rebelling? Yeah, that's certainly very likely. I like dystopian ideas as much as the next guy, but let's be real here. The character development is awful, matching up with the bad script that really has a blast at giving forced exposition through any means necessary. It wants to try and pretend to develop these characters, so it tosses in a few nonsense flashback sequences that add nothing to the overall film. Lucky us.

One of the few redeeming factors here is the interesting world it designed. Though I think the premise is dumb, the world itself is compelling enough to make me curious how it all turns out in the end. Plus, the action is pretty well shot and the thrills the film produces are satisfying enough, even if they are entirely derivative. The film looks good enough on the whole to make me accept its many flaws to the point that I did not entirely hate the movie, but it is quite bad. Overall, The Hunger Games truly made me hunger for a better film.
mcfryFeb 29, 2016
The first third of Hunger Games surprised me genuinely, and it kept its hold on me. I had not expected that this fantasy would convey deep emotion. That, and the great actors, unique soundtrack and consequent art design add a lot to a notThe first third of Hunger Games surprised me genuinely, and it kept its hold on me. I had not expected that this fantasy would convey deep emotion. That, and the great actors, unique soundtrack and consequent art design add a lot to a not quite outworn scenario. I highly enjoyed the beauty and the quality of the film (and also, the overdone references to other genre movies will amuse for some time to come).

Sadly, when the fighting starts, the plot loses important nuances, although the story still motivated me enough to hold out to the end. An accomplishment, but the duration is probably just too long - something I usually don't say because I like a good epic. But in this case, weaknesses of an old plot recipe eat up almost the rest of the movie. That's why I gave 7 - after a captivating start and some precious sequences after that.
JarodyFeb 10, 2016
The hunger games is the first film in the book to film adaptation. There are great things about this movie, like the action and how it brings to life what you imagine the hunger games to be. It also has a great tone of realism as well asThe hunger games is the first film in the book to film adaptation. There are great things about this movie, like the action and how it brings to life what you imagine the hunger games to be. It also has a great tone of realism as well as fantastic acting. Despite this, there are notable problems with this movie. The character development isn't great, and the shaky cam is very frustrating to watch. Continuing with the bad points, there was a lack of communication between the characters and some scenes can be very boring. Altogether the hunger games is quite good and a good opening to the hg series so............Good luck seeing this on amazon. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: It's a fantastic adaptation of the book that stays true to the excitement and futuristic society - like the pages you read have come to life. It's beautifully shot, gritty and exciting and (like the book) manages to retainWHAT I LIKED: It's a fantastic adaptation of the book that stays true to the excitement and futuristic society - like the pages you read have come to life. It's beautifully shot, gritty and exciting and (like the book) manages to retain interest throughout. This is largely thanks to Jennifer Lawrence who does such an excellent job of bringing Katniss to life.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It feels a little rushed, and maybe it stays too true to the book to be imaginative?
VERDICT: True Hunger Games fans will be impressed. This is as gripping and visual as the books were - that's a big achievement.
NikitaBrandtJan 3, 2016
This is not a successful start of a series of films from the perspective of the director's work. But surely we must pay tribute to the actors, writer (Susan Collins) and set decorator.
EpicLadySpongeJan 3, 2016
It's only a matter of time before this film received the score it should deserve for now. It totally deserve the 7 score for at least now. It'll rise sooner or later.
gdiego135Dec 4, 2015
Unlike my reviews for mockingjay part 1 and 2, this movie is actually really good, and makes you fall in love with the characters, at times make you cry. I highly recommend watching this great film.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
From book to film , and the fact the fact , the first delivery is the beginning of an adventure without contemplation , and left three reasons for this, first , had not read the book but pleased his story has been amazing , Second The historyFrom book to film , and the fact the fact , the first delivery is the beginning of an adventure without contemplation , and left three reasons for this, first , had not read the book but pleased his story has been amazing , Second The history which Katniss Everdeen volunteered to protect her sister Prim, which died in the last delivery but this character will be in our thoughts , her courage to play to survive, and so will live the rest of the story . Expand
SEROJDec 2, 2015
This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen! Typical plot, pathetic story, horrible acting and decent action! I haven't read the books but i bet they can't be worse than this garbage i watched!
teddy1984ltNov 27, 2015
Great movie really liked it I'm glad there are going to be sequels because I really want to know where it's going to go. There's one death it the movie that is one of the saddest deaths in a movie I have ever seen.
dollarhydeNov 21, 2015
Hollywood PG-13 version of ''Battle Royale'' full of meaningless dialogues, uninteresting characters in ridiculous costumes and a script so bad it's only comparable to "Twilight".
WrongKlenaNov 16, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apesar de ser meio fiel o filme tem uma movimentação de câmeras péssima, uma maior visibilidade do casal falso Peeta e Katniss não bate com a relatada no livro, até mesmo o livro é mais pesado em questões de lutas, que são relatadas como sangrentas, oque não ocorreu no filme. O filme agrada, mas não dá imersão total aos telespectadores na história. Expand
MovieFan123Sep 21, 2015
When I originally saw The Hunger Games, I was wowed. Beautiful effects and strong acting. However, after recently re watching it I realized there were more problems than meet the eye. The Hunger Games is directed by Gary Ross and staresWhen I originally saw The Hunger Games, I was wowed. Beautiful effects and strong acting. However, after recently re watching it I realized there were more problems than meet the eye. The Hunger Games is directed by Gary Ross and stares Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. Let's start with the bad. After watching the sequels I realize (and don't hate me for this) Jennifer Lawrence is just not giving as strong a performance as in later films. It's perfectly fine but I wish she gave us a more layered performance in general. Also, there is little development of the supporting characters. We get there name, a general backstory but that's it. Also the main problem in this film is: Shaky Cam. This film's battle scenes have so much shaky cam at some points it's extremely hard to see what's going on. But of course there are good parts. The story is obviously excellent. Woody Harrelson gives a great performance, a mentor who seems crazy but is actually a man who has just lost his way. The visuals are spectacular and there are some true moments of emotion throughout this film. The capitol is beautifully designed with each building going beyond your wildest imaginations. Every possibly cheesy moment in the book is done right for the most part. Overall despite some problems with character development and shaky cam The Hunger Games is well- written well done adaption that opens the series up properly despite not being as good as Catching Fire. This is why I give it a 7/10. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 25, 2015
"The Hunger Games" is probably one of the very few movies that doesn't get swept over by the teenage fad curse, with a huge thanks to excellent performances from Jennifer Lawrence.
xDaudexAug 14, 2015
Pros:
Switches traditional gender roles
World building Believable story Cons: Some sections of the story seem rushed, though this is a typical issue when converting a book to a movie The amount of people left at any given time is not
Pros:
Switches traditional gender roles
World building
Believable story

Cons:
The amount of people left at any given time is not stated as often as it should
Not many of the contestants other than the main ones had any back story
luketeddyJun 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty good for the 1st movie. the one death of rue is one of the saddest deaths In movie history. the plot is that there is this battle royal were 24 kids fight to the death. it's not 100% original ( battle royal & gamer)but it's still a good film over all. Expand
GentM2015Jun 10, 2015
The best novel based movie ever.The Hunger Games has astonishing acting and directing that makes for an unforgettable movie with an unforgettable heroin that's not what everybody would expect her to be.Amazing movie.
MadMaxFuryRoadJun 9, 2015
This movie is pretty overrated. First of all, the movie does do pretty good making itself have the Hunger Games setting look and you actually feel pretty intense. But the shaky cam was just so annoying. I still thought the plot was good andThis movie is pretty overrated. First of all, the movie does do pretty good making itself have the Hunger Games setting look and you actually feel pretty intense. But the shaky cam was just so annoying. I still thought the plot was good and the part where Effie chooses the tickets was handled very well as well as good acting from Jennifer Lawrence. Expand
CharnutboyMay 19, 2015
Jennifer Lawrence = Freaking obnoxious and over-dramatic; a mediocre Katniss

Story = Meh Book-to-Movie Translation = Meh Pita-didn't-lose-a-leg = Check I know, I'm picky. But I really don't get the hype for this movie. Was the
Jennifer Lawrence = Freaking obnoxious and over-dramatic; a mediocre Katniss

Story = Meh

Book-to-Movie Translation = Meh

Pita-didn't-lose-a-leg = Check

I know, I'm picky. But I really don't get the hype for this movie. Was the book okay? Yeah, even though it was a bit overrated at the time it came out.
But when the tension all dies down, I just won't like this movie that much. The very few good things found in this movie, such as visuals, and...nothing else. Though I do have to say that the visuals are pretty damn good.
VinceRocks123May 15, 2015
You know when you watch it a dozen times its not really that bad I think this is the only good book series to be made into a movie trilogy with a female lead

Lots of interesting characters and one gory story I just couldn't resist the urge to see it

a combination of the olympics with war its just undeniably tense
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the hunger game is a story about every year there is a battle royal were 24 kids fright to the death and one comes out. this movie has a great death sense with this girl name rue it was a very good death sense. Expand
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
With it's engaging narrative set-up, unforgettable cast of characters and ferociously powerful action sequences, The Hunger Games sets the bar surprisingly high for book-to-movie adaptations to come.
JohnMasterLMar 9, 2015
The Hunger Games o "Los Juegos del Hambre" es entretenimiento increíble, polémico e interesante. Después de ver que la trama era sobre un futuro Apocalipsis, donde todos los niños y adolescentes pelean a muerte en una arena de combate y alThe Hunger Games o "Los Juegos del Hambre" es entretenimiento increíble, polémico e interesante. Después de ver que la trama era sobre un futuro Apocalipsis, donde todos los niños y adolescentes pelean a muerte en una arena de combate y al final solo uno puede sobrevivir; me intereso muchísimo y e de decir que cuando termine la pelicula, me quede con ganas de mas; tanto así que comencé a leer la trilogía. En términos de adaptación, es pasable, hay muchos cambios y muchos cortes, pero la cinta es objetiva, entretenida, llena de suspenso, violencia, critica política y Amor. The Hunger Games es sin duda un film brutal, con una critica fuerte hacia el gobierno. Expand
diogomendesMar 1, 2015
Its somewhat shaky cameras can be compensated by Jennifer Lawrence's all-star performance and its thrilling, emotionally resonant storytelling. One of the few YA films that actually works.
ydnar4Feb 7, 2015
Extremely overrated! There was a lot of hype for this film and I can't believe that so many people were drawn in by this movie. Now we have another mediocre film series based on a novel for teenagers. The best thing about this film is that itExtremely overrated! There was a lot of hype for this film and I can't believe that so many people were drawn in by this movie. Now we have another mediocre film series based on a novel for teenagers. The best thing about this film is that it spawned the career of Jennifer Lawrence, who has shown off her chops in a lot of better films. I won't be watching another one of these films. Expand
SuperficialityFeb 7, 2015
Now I read the trilogy and really enjoyed it but this movie made me a bit queasy. I've never been fond of movies in which a female is the main lead, especially when she's not very attractive nor a good actor. I slept through the whole movieNow I read the trilogy and really enjoyed it but this movie made me a bit queasy. I've never been fond of movies in which a female is the main lead, especially when she's not very attractive nor a good actor. I slept through the whole movie because it was soo boring. Very disappointed; would like a refund. Expand
Parappafan1996Jan 14, 2015
This is a good film, mostly because of its great action and top notch special effects, the reason it didn't recieve a 9 or 10 is because the characters are on a Twilight scale of blandness.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
A thrilling action-packed film with the strong lead character of Katniss Everdeen. A great first installment in the Hunger Games series. It's much better than your normal book teen obsession. *cough* Twilight *cough*
FilmwritingmindJan 3, 2015
I loved the film on its initial release. Rewatching it,, the plot is straightfoward. It's 21st century "Running Man", for the teens. Unreality television being parodied. What makes the film interesting in the world, Jennifer Lawrence as theI loved the film on its initial release. Rewatching it,, the plot is straightfoward. It's 21st century "Running Man", for the teens. Unreality television being parodied. What makes the film interesting in the world, Jennifer Lawrence as the " rising star." Expand
kito1356Dec 16, 2014
in movie, characters have each fascinating point and director well catch about their good feature.
and music is well awesome grand and with movie. especially heroine's playing is so good
joao1198pedroDec 10, 2014
How summit keep insisting on teenage dumb movies? People said that this movie is great, but not even jennifer lawrence save this crap,i hope the sequels gets better.
TheDarkKnight22Nov 30, 2014
The movie was okay, it was not that interesting in my opinion. I liked the books but the movie did not capture my attention as much as the books. It stayed too focused on the action of the hunger games and i began to lose my attention slowlyThe movie was okay, it was not that interesting in my opinion. I liked the books but the movie did not capture my attention as much as the books. It stayed too focused on the action of the hunger games and i began to lose my attention slowly and by the end of the movie i didn't care about what was happening. it was a well acted and a well scripted movie but most of the scenes were not that interesting to me. Expand
Shiftian_BeNov 26, 2014
Plain shallow .. This movie has some potential as far as setting and theme go but they to choose to do absolute **** with it.. Its slow, boring , deaths are uneventful.. The overall plot of the movie can be seen through about 20 minutes intoPlain shallow .. This movie has some potential as far as setting and theme go but they to choose to do absolute **** with it.. Its slow, boring , deaths are uneventful.. The overall plot of the movie can be seen through about 20 minutes into the flick.. If not for the beautiful Lawrence , I hadn't even watched it through to the end.. Expand
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
The Hunger Games es una película que te intriga y entretiene desde que empieza hasta que termina, con mucha acción y grandes actuaciones por parte de todos. Es totalmente una gran película de Ciencia-Ficción.
CPD98Nov 22, 2014
Una película totalmente sobrevalorada, con unos personajes tan estúpidos como poco interesantes y una trama absurda. Aunque, si la tengo que comparar con las otras dos que la preceden, esta me parece mejor. Al menos tenía un poco el elementoUna película totalmente sobrevalorada, con unos personajes tan estúpidos como poco interesantes y una trama absurda. Aunque, si la tengo que comparar con las otras dos que la preceden, esta me parece mejor. Al menos tenía un poco el elemento sorpresa y el final fue algo mejor.
Pero vamos, que como película no vale mucho...
Mosh603Nov 12, 2014
What really bums me out about this movie is that is had incredible potential. The storyline was primed to be a great blockbuster with tons of action and great moments. The writers never got this to perdition. The "climax" in the movie isWhat really bums me out about this movie is that is had incredible potential. The storyline was primed to be a great blockbuster with tons of action and great moments. The writers never got this to perdition. The "climax" in the movie is basically nonexistent with the ending being equally crappy. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
A solid start to a promising franchise, The Hunger Games thrills with good action sequences and a brilliant performance by Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and anEvery year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.
Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
AdsonOct 15, 2014
The Hunger Games is a sweet fantasy, since the cinematography until the story. The Cast is glorious with a great performance. During the course of the movie, the actions scenes brings action to the viewer. Sometimes the story is predictableThe Hunger Games is a sweet fantasy, since the cinematography until the story. The Cast is glorious with a great performance. During the course of the movie, the actions scenes brings action to the viewer. Sometimes the story is predictable like the romance between Peeta e Katniss. In the general is awesome! Expand
BigZOct 7, 2014
I don't understand what got this movie so hyped and successful...I haven't read the books and yet I can't help but think this has totally been done before. Maybe you remember the 1980s film The Running Man? Arnold...anyone? When you make aI don't understand what got this movie so hyped and successful...I haven't read the books and yet I can't help but think this has totally been done before. Maybe you remember the 1980s film The Running Man? Arnold...anyone? When you make a movie with a plot that has already been done, you better have some extra fire power to back it up. Of which this movie had little to none. The characters had very little and/or significant development. I didn't feel bad when they died, enough said. Wasn't that the girl from the movie Orphan? That movie was sick! (the good kind of sick) You monsters diminished her talent! And Jennifer Lawrence, just didn't have the edge I feel like a girl in her situation would need, sure she can shoot, but what good is that when there's no fire? Where's the animal kill or be killed instinct? No believable feeling. And there's no one else better than her to eventually be the one who takes down the bad guys? Her performance makes that tough to believe. Terrible. And there's more of the series to come. Wow. I don't think they can salvage this. But how cute, they're going to try. Expand
pierremSep 28, 2014
I don't think a movie aimed for teenage girls can be any better. In this view, 10/10 is deserved. But as an actual film, 7 seems fair to me. Maybe even 8.
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
The constant comparisons to the novel from which it came are destined to tear down this film--but that's just not fair, it's really quite remarkable. Jennifer Lawrence and her fellow cast members bring this extraordinary tale to life on-screen.
oxanaAug 24, 2014
Let's kick off this review by stating that I haven't read the book(s) this movie is based on. Hence it's all about the movie and not book-to-film translation (before I read the books, anyway).

The idea behind the story is compelling,

The idea behind the story is compelling, gruesome and quite horrible. To choose 24 children to fight each other to the death until only one remains, in order to choke 12 Districts under the Capitol's control is something I haven't seen done before.

The Hunger Games, and the way they were presented, was thrilling. The comparison of two different worlds, from far-away Districts to the Capitol, and the way the Games are perceived between the two was brilliant. The preparation of the Tributes for the Games was almost more interesting than the final feat itself, although they balanced it quite nicely.

Most of the Tributes never got all that much time on screen - perhaps to make their deaths seem less important. They had to die, so better not make the audience feel too much for them. The actor performances and characters were well balanced, although the scheming behind the theatrics could have been given more depth. Also, it felt like the creators of the game cheated every now and then, but that's live TV for you; they must make it appealing - in this case by finding ways to control the game.

The visual look of the movie was stunning, between very different worlds, one corporeal and one quite futuristic, all the way to make-up and clothing which finalized the impact of how removed the Capitol truly is from the "real world". It was appalling, in a sense, and you wanted to shake each and every one of those pretentious, naïve, spoiled people. (This is the setting where you can find the social rifts and values of the modern world in a nutshell.)

This film is definitely worth the watch - and I'm eagerly waiting for the sequels and what turns of events they will provide in the already established setting.
xolveAug 24, 2014
This film comes across as exploitative and cheap as the games it depicts. As an audience member, I felt shallow, exploitive and confused about whether I should be enjoying this.
But it is aimed at a younger, less empathetic, and less clever
But it is aimed at a younger, less empathetic, and less clever audience.
Perhaps the irony of watching the watchers is satisfying to some. Personally it left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. I could go into the stupid plot-holes, the greyscale-esque blue-and-gold visual delivery, the ending which gives you no emotional reward but... at the end, unlike the running man and the truman show, this never feels anything but shallowly-emotional and forced.
TomacitaAug 15, 2014
The Hunger Games is a dystopian science fiction film that keeps its audience on the edge. It is a film that is based in Panem that was once known as North America. Panem is a capital that is rich and is surrounded by 12 districts that areThe Hunger Games is a dystopian science fiction film that keeps its audience on the edge. It is a film that is based in Panem that was once known as North America. Panem is a capital that is rich and is surrounded by 12 districts that are poor. Panem controls each district and forces each of them to present one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 year-olds that will appear in a reality show. This show is not the average everyday reality television show; it is about life and death, literally. Each person is placed in a controlled environment and they are forced to kill one another until the last person is standing. That is until Katniss Everdean changes the game. Katniss is a sixteen year-old girl that is a strong, smart, courageous girl that uses her wit to play the game as well as change the outcome of it.

The beginning of the film is a little drawn out and slow but as it progresses it develops into a film that is full of raw emotion, action and drama. The cinematography, editing and sound is extremely effective with capturing the audience. In the beginning of the film, District 12 appears to be cold and sad. This is because there is not much light and the clothes seems old fashion and lacks color. It is almost like it was made in the 1950’s. This gives the audience a sense of how poor and less worthy these people are portrayed. Whereas, Panem is filled with light, colorful and vibrant. This shows the audience that the town is made of money and that they are worthier than the districts.

The arena where the tributes fight is a controlled environment. It is an environment that embodies the hunt. But they are hunting each other as opposed to animals. Some of the tributes are brutal and love the game and play it with pride. Katniss is different and does not kill for the game but kills for survival and shows that she cares which is why she is able to put a twist on it.

This film is heart breaking and brutal, but it is a must see. Every aspect of this film grabs the audience. It is full of raw emotion, action and drama. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.
drlowdonJul 31, 2014
Based on the bestselling books for young adults the Hunger Games is a set in a world where, in order to keep the population under control, two children from each of the twelve districts are chosen to compete a two week trial in which only oneBased on the bestselling books for young adults the Hunger Games is a set in a world where, in order to keep the population under control, two children from each of the twelve districts are chosen to compete a two week trial in which only one can survive.

I haven't read the books but throughout the movie I got the sense that certain elements have been left underdeveloped and toned down in order to maintain a reasonable running time and ensure a rating that would allow fans of the books to see it. In large part thanks to the central performance by, the always excellent, Jennifer Lawrence however The Hunger Games still makes for a relatively entertaining watch. It is well shot and moves along at a good pace with just enough tension to keep things from become too predictable.

Not a classic but certainly worth a watch.
KirkAlkiJul 27, 2014
stupid book adaption...again. copying divergent (the best movie of all time). woo hoo, crossbow wielding katniss everdeen is copying terrel dickson from that one vampire show. katniss is a douche bag. she doesnt help her family get food andstupid book adaption...again. copying divergent (the best movie of all time). woo hoo, crossbow wielding katniss everdeen is copying terrel dickson from that one vampire show. katniss is a douche bag. she doesnt help her family get food and steals the spotlight for her soon to be famous sister prinrows. heck, her sister told her she had dreams about getting picked, dont interfere woman. president snowball is so white. the hunger games is a bland book about a protagonist named cato who SPOILER ALERT dies at the end. you couldve killed rue. thanks a lot jennifer lawrence. Expand
elsylorenaJul 19, 2014
Aunque posee varios movimientos de cámara y sus efectos visuales son bastante pobres, es una película interesante que te atrapa, una trama que debemos agradecer a Suzanne Collins, e interpretaciones respetables.
bradtheman123Jun 11, 2014
The movie was so in deep in times it was actually very epic. The movie was similar to the book in the basics at least. The actual hunger games part of the movie was not only very epic but very thrilling and suspenseful. This movie got a lotThe movie was so in deep in times it was actually very epic. The movie was similar to the book in the basics at least. The actual hunger games part of the movie was not only very epic but very thrilling and suspenseful. This movie got a lot of hate, mainly because people thought that it was too much of a 'movie' and not enough of a 'story', im not even to quite sure what that means but im guessing it means the movie wasn't telling enough story. Of course very unlike the book itself. I think the movie is better than the book, mainly because im not a big reader. But if I were to actually think about it and focus on every little part and listened to others, I would say the book is better than the movie.. Expand
lkalibaMay 30, 2014
"The Hunger Games" marks a spectacular introduction to the franchise. With dramatic violence, incredible performances, and a intimate/epic story telling it is a film that you would watch over & over again.
HighPriestesaMay 18, 2014
It's kinda nice and watchable. Background story is great. But it lacks depth. Some moments are really weird and not in a good way ... The costume design is awesome, very creative!
StaticSpineMay 10, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much wasted potential. I really loved the good dystopian atmosphere of the movie beginning, but when it came to the games - it started becoming less good. The strange turn of events, unnecessarily lengthy cheesy and "dramatic" sequences. I didn't like the thing that there were fireballs thrown to the main character and those giant dogs in the end. Just kills all the immersion. The other thing I didn't like - the main hero is not just so good, she just always gets lucky, so that means any other lucky guy can be on her place, I mean you can't see why she is the one to win, there is always someone/something to help her. Otherwise the actors are good, I always like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson on screen. Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie though I do not regret the wasted time. Expand
jmayApr 20, 2014
i love the hunger games it shows us if we dont change our society now there will be a world war 3
ElucidateApr 19, 2014
Not bad, but lacking in many aspects. While the scenery is stunning, character development seems rather insufficient and the pacing of the film is somewhat awkward. Furthermore, it is obvious that all the techniques employed during actionNot bad, but lacking in many aspects. While the scenery is stunning, character development seems rather insufficient and the pacing of the film is somewhat awkward. Furthermore, it is obvious that all the techniques employed during action sequences were intended to tone down the violence to a childish level (to maintain a PG-13 rating perhaps, which would certainly guarantee a better box office performance). The violence is an important aspect of the story, and such blatant toning-down is simply unacceptable. Expand
chocolategirllApr 15, 2014
The Hunger Games is one of the best movies that I have seen. It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen, who has to go to the hunger games for the second time in her life. She has to fight for her life which can also affect on the wholeThe Hunger Games is one of the best movies that I have seen. It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen, who has to go to the hunger games for the second time in her life. She has to fight for her life which can also affect on the whole worlds destiny.
Everyone should totally watch Hunger Games. It is really popular and everyone has seen it. If you haven't seen it yet you should watch it right now!
lukechristianscApr 12, 2014
I give this rating 4/10 because i watched it to many times they make dumb choices in the movie .
Grade for hunger games B
Grade for catching fire D.
jppl1999Apr 12, 2014
Nice film. It makes a nice discourse based on the book's message with an awesome performance from Jennifer Lawrence and a direction and production that worth it.
LJHayesApr 4, 2014
Seriously, **** this film. It is awful. I'm not going into detail because it would take hours for me to go over everything that makes this thing unwatchable. Suffice to say it's just a senseless story driven by insufferably irritatingSeriously, **** this film. It is awful. I'm not going into detail because it would take hours for me to go over everything that makes this thing unwatchable. Suffice to say it's just a senseless story driven by insufferably irritating characters and a string of convenient plot devices that sporadically fade in and out of relevance. If you want a film about a brutal death match, watch battle royale. If you want a film about ridiculous angst ridden teenage romance, watch twilight. If you want a film that tries to include a death match and a convoluted teenage romance and fails at both, watch the hunger games. Expand
DrewtheDude85Apr 1, 2014
The Hunger Games movie is an excellent adaption of the great book of the same name and I think that it should be accepted as it is. I think the movie did a grand job of following the original book even though it's definitely not as violent asThe Hunger Games movie is an excellent adaption of the great book of the same name and I think that it should be accepted as it is. I think the movie did a grand job of following the original book even though it's definitely not as violent as the book. The characters were great and the acting is overall good from mostly everyone, Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job playing Katniss. The camera was pretty shaky overall at times which I know was a common complaint but I must say that it was still overall pretty view able as a movie goes. The action was also great and I did like the suspense portrayed throughout this film. Overall, The Hunger Games film is a faithful adaption that may still have some issues from time to time but it still a great film. If you like the book, I'm sure you'll enjoy this film. Expand
Kylenine1Mar 26, 2014
This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been createdThis is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie. Overall this film is fantastic. Expand
10987654321Mar 19, 2014
Dat was awesome, thank you for making a movie out of the book. One thing doe you forgot to include Madge. Otherwise it was awesome. While most movies based on books are horrible, this was ok.
senevadaMar 12, 2014
honestly for the longest time after I saw this on netflix, I thought it was a slower, duller american remake of "battle royale", without any of the fun black humor. now that I know that's apparently not true, I now think of this movie as justhonestly for the longest time after I saw this on netflix, I thought it was a slower, duller american remake of "battle royale", without any of the fun black humor. now that I know that's apparently not true, I now think of this movie as just slow, dull and without any sense of humor. Expand
LinusBeagleMar 8, 2014
This was an unwatchable, tedious, ass-numbing, bore of a movie; not worthy of even “made for TV” status. The acting was stilted and wooden; Jennifer Lawrence is creepy looking and unattractive. Honestly the whole thing was a mess from startThis was an unwatchable, tedious, ass-numbing, bore of a movie; not worthy of even “made for TV” status. The acting was stilted and wooden; Jennifer Lawrence is creepy looking and unattractive. Honestly the whole thing was a mess from start to finish. Save your money and opt out of the remaining movies now; doubtful they will get any better. Expand
MissDraeMar 3, 2014
Katniss everdeen is a beacon of courage. When I first read the novel I fell in love with this series. The movie was great and so was the sequel. Amazing!
claudiuanophelFeb 4, 2014
Not being the most original film, it catches this dystopian future decorated with some life mottoes. Panem, the jungle-world, creates a place,in a grotesque manner, for the contestants to show their skills in a way that every human being isNot being the most original film, it catches this dystopian future decorated with some life mottoes. Panem, the jungle-world, creates a place,in a grotesque manner, for the contestants to show their skills in a way that every human being is reduced to it's basic survival feeling. I think all that matters it's the motivation. First two districts are led by fame and arrogance antithetical to last district that is led by love. The protagonist shows that even in this life-threatening scenario we can form an alliance based on true friendship and there is a hope that in the end people could regain their humanity. Expand
mariokartheroFeb 1, 2014
Normally, when it comes to book, video game or cartoon characters being turned into movies, they usually have a mediocre or negative reception. Examples of this include Super Mario Bros (1993 film), Scooby Doo (2002 film) and the wholeNormally, when it comes to book, video game or cartoon characters being turned into movies, they usually have a mediocre or negative reception. Examples of this include Super Mario Bros (1993 film), Scooby Doo (2002 film) and the whole friggin Twilight movie series (seriously, why did they make more if the original sucked??)

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film, and here is why. It starts out with Katniss searching for food for the family when there is an announcement that the 74th Hunger Games contestants are going to be picked out. At first, it was supposed to be Rosemary, Katniss' sister but Katniss goes instead because she cannot bear to see her sister die. A series of events happen after this like the training, the interviews, the actual fights itself were awesome as well. I loved this movie and despite the hate that it gets, it is still a great movie.
Gamer147Jan 26, 2014
Mhm, I read the book and watched the movie about a year later. I really liked it, enjoyed it throughout it all. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good, only thing that annoyed me was fighting scenes in the dark and the TOO shaky movement of theMhm, I read the book and watched the movie about a year later. I really liked it, enjoyed it throughout it all. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good, only thing that annoyed me was fighting scenes in the dark and the TOO shaky movement of the camera (at times, sometimes it actually fit in with the atmosphere).
Recommended.
marcmyworksJan 22, 2014
This film is well written, acted and shot, however the beauty of it seems unnatural with its dark themes. I feel this film (along with the book series) is built more for a 'Harry Potter' audience and is to watered down for it's adult themes.
FabbioDornellasJan 22, 2014
This film is just a copy of Battle Royale, it's plagiarism. There's nothing new here, there's nothing stunning or amazing it's just a film to take your money and is a big hollywood fail.
dogboat333Jan 3, 2014
Let me warn you: If you have not read the book you will have no idea what is going on. I watched this with my father, who never read the book, and I had to explain EVERYTHING to him. I, being a fan of the trilogy, thought it was fine.Let me warn you: If you have not read the book you will have no idea what is going on. I watched this with my father, who never read the book, and I had to explain EVERYTHING to him. I, being a fan of the trilogy, thought it was fine. Undeniably flawed, but still a decent flick. Expand
Jack_SunshineDec 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best dystopian fiction holds a mirror up to our own society, extrapolating current trends to extreme endpoints. Here, in a grim future America, the gaudy citizens of the Capital lead lives of leisure amid the glittering spires of their neo-classical metropolis while the Appalachian miners of District 12 carve a meagre living straight out of the Great Depression. Every year, they are forced to participate in their oppressors’ sadistic version reality TV (with brilliantly over the top X-factor style commentary): the titular Hunger Games, an annual gladiatorial combat between children, in which the sole survivor emerges as victor.

The face of the revolution is the teenage Katniss (Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) whose strong performance drives a film which is otherwise far from subtle. Yet there’s no doubt that this film is thoroughly exciting and engaging. For a start, the young actors here are miles better than the cast of the cheesy ‘80s slasher flicks I’ve been watching lately.

The weakest part of the story is the attempted love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale which started in the last film. It pales in comparison to the wider struggle of the story and is perhaps wisely downplayed. Gale (Liam Hemsworth, who somehow has third billing) is a childhood friend of Katniss, but feels like a redundant character, appearing in very few scenes to give the TV a jealous glance whenever he sees Peeta, who has infinitely more screen time.
LordEpicalDec 21, 2013
I have found the movie has bad acting, the animations are not realistic and the plot was very bad. The scenes looked very 'bright and happy', so did the soldiers uniforms, also, is it just me or does everyone have clothes always look good asI have found the movie has bad acting, the animations are not realistic and the plot was very bad. The scenes looked very 'bright and happy', so did the soldiers uniforms, also, is it just me or does everyone have clothes always look good as new and the characters have minimal amounts of dirt on them too?

In the movie story things that are extremely unlikely happened then something else extremely unlikely happened to make it follow the book.

All that said, I am definitely not going to watch the sequels.
KaptainHutchinoDec 12, 2013
Great acting and fresh direction make 'The Hunger Games' a great watch, but it can get predictable and sometimes the camera movements get a bit distracting.
oliviagilesDec 11, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hunger Games was written by American novelist, Suzanne Collins and was published and released in autumn 2008. The breathtaking book is about a girl in a poor District with The Hunger Games in the capitol once a year to fight until death. When her sister is taken out to do this challenge, what will Katniss do to save her sister?
Gary Ross, 56, an American director, writer and author who wrote and directed this appalling version of an amazing book. He took the feeling out of the words Collins wrote and should be ashamed of himself.
It was released in the UK in March 2012 and the total box office amount was £457,295,652. Many people, including myself, were clearly disappointed as we wanted to get the feeling we got with Collins’ books but instead I sat through a poor version with terrible acting.
A man coming out of the cinema said “They couldn’t act. Stone faced, that’s what they were”. If I were Suzanne Collins I would feel utterly embarrassed to say that was based on a book I wrote.
Jennifer Lawrence, 22, is a beautiful and talented actress but i felt her part was extremely flat but, of course, i put the blame on Gary Ross as he was responsible.
The script was forced, terrible and completely horrendous! It made me cringe! Some of the memorable lines from the movie were taken from the book but having them being read aloud instead of reading them in your head ruined the experience. As well as the terrible script, there were also technical difficulties like when the camera would jerk and everyone in the screening room would feel suspense but Ross was building up to nothing. I am not an expert in special effects but to me, it looked like a student in primary school doing it for the first time and hoping for the best! It was an attempt to be serious but they failed miserably.
With a budget of £51.6m, they should’ve hired a decent camera-man as to not make the whole film look like a school play!
Overall, I give this despicable mess of a movie 0.5 of a star because they based it on an excellent book and I recommend you reading the book!
BIGSTEWDec 11, 2013
The Hunger Games can be summed up like this: the good is heavily outweighed by the bad. Only fans of the books should view it to see if they can get an ounce of satisfaction from the film adaptation. For everyone else, don't waste your time.
S2G047Dec 8, 2013
The movie has it's moments but then it becomes hard to imagine the world where 23 kids are killed every year on a live tv show just for entertainment of the others.
ssnow2Dec 4, 2013
It is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takesIt is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takes place in a future setting in a nation known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts and the capitol. This science fiction, adventure-filled film is bound to have the viewer on the edge of their seats.

Each year, in the nation of Panem, two young adults are selected by lottery to represent their district in "The Hunger Games", a televised fight-to-death that the rest of the citizens are required to watch. When Katniss' younger sister's name is called to represent District 12, Katniss volunteers herself in order for her sister to remain safe. The male drawn as Katniss' partner for The Hunger Games is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), whom she has dramatic history with. Immediately after being selected, the two are sent away to training where they must gain the proper skills to survive The Hunger Games. Given only a small amount of supplies, Katniss and Peeta are sent into the woods where they compete against the remaining 22 opponents. Katniss finds herself a nice tree, where she is able to make a small platform for her to sleep on for the night with the hopes that no one will spot her. Day after day, Katniss and Peeta must remain a team to protect each other for survival. Obstacles appear, and suddenly the game is unpredictable. Throughout the film, the audience gets an intense look as The Hunger Games play out, leaving them on edge and unsure of the end results.

The director of this film, Gary Ross, did a fabulous job of directing this film. The angles used within the film helped the audience to get a better understanding of emotion within the film. Despite the fast-paced, extreme situations that each opponent faces throughout The Hunger Games, the audience is able to feel the connections between the characters. Furthermore, the audience gets a chance to feel as if they are part of the film, finding themselves cheering on the main characters as they fight for their lives.

The set design and costumes were also done really well in this movie, as it allowed the viewer to believe this actually took place in the future. The set design was a perfect fit for this film, as a majority of the film took place outside in the woods. The set design allowed the film to bring to life the world that Suzanne Collins had created in her novels. Additionally, it was very easy for the audience to see the difference between life in District 12 and the capitol, where life in the District was poor and rural with washed out buildings, and the capitol was futuristic with modern decorations and bright colors.

This film was strategically put together, allowing for the audience to feel a sense of belonging, as though they were involved. From the very beginning to the very end, the audience is hooked, and more often than not, begging for the sequel. From the cast, to the set design, to the directing, The Hunger Games is a high quality film that is strongly recommended for any teenagers, as well as any one interested in adventure films.
madxskillxgamerDec 1, 2013
this movie was okay at most it was boring for really long and the hype was over a book and book fans will give it a good review that it will not deserve dont let your loyalism make people think a whack movie is good so they go buy it or something
jeff_reviewsNov 30, 2013
It's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as theIt's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as the Capitol intends). One of my problems with "The Hunger Games", is that there is not enough time to develop all of the information brought in the book onscreen. Even with 2 hrs and 30 minutes, I feel that, "The Hunger Games" is generally rushed. It's hard to take in emotional scenes if they are happening to fast, and unfortunately for me, this was a little hard to grasp. Another issue remained with the CG, and how it seemed very Computer Generated rather then realistic. But then again, with a $78 million budget, it's hard to complain. I may feel nagging, but I still feel that "The Hunger Games" is a strong film, as it succeeds is driving the emotions and feeling of intensity in your face. Expand
cag11Nov 29, 2013
Alright, I was hyped for this movie, and I was somewhat let down by it. I loved the book series, and I guess I should have known that movies based off books aren't going to be as good.
SmileylivvieNov 29, 2013
I thought the Hunger Games was amazing. I didn't like it the first time I watched it but now I love it and I've watched it about 3-5 times! The only problem about the movie is that I think they spend too long before they are actually in theI thought the Hunger Games was amazing. I didn't like it the first time I watched it but now I love it and I've watched it about 3-5 times! The only problem about the movie is that I think they spend too long before they are actually in the Hunger Games. I personally think they should of spent more of the movie with the fighting and things, because i had to skip it because I got a bit bored. Expand
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
IamthejuanNov 28, 2013
Ok; honestly, I didn't see this originally because it didn't look interesting to me. But everyone hyped it up, and now with all the "catching fire" buzz I decided to check out the first one to see if I was wrong. The 6 rating is to be fair toOk; honestly, I didn't see this originally because it didn't look interesting to me. But everyone hyped it up, and now with all the "catching fire" buzz I decided to check out the first one to see if I was wrong. The 6 rating is to be fair to the actors, who did a great job with a ridiculous script. The premise of the movie is unbelievable, while the parallels with reality are too subtle and underdeveloped. It is like half action movie, half Alice in Wonderland (the strange Tim Burton one), and it doesn't work-- at least, not for me. I have heard the books are better; well that is usually true, but if the book is based on the same premise-- a futuristic society hosting gladiator events between children --I would probably find it equally ridiculous. Expand
dthompNov 28, 2013
Despite not really enjoying this film, I am still going to give it a slightly positive rating. My reasoning for this is that it is actually a decent film, however my opinion on it has been altered as I read the books first. The books has inDespite not really enjoying this film, I am still going to give it a slightly positive rating. My reasoning for this is that it is actually a decent film, however my opinion on it has been altered as I read the books first. The books has in depth politics and lots of violence and excitement. The film left a lot of the politics and violence out to make it watchable for the younger ages, which subsequently created a cheesy, not brilliantly written film. If they had 'juiced it up' a bit and made it a 15, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
I would recommend this film if you have not read the book, if you have steer clear of it.
jack977Nov 27, 2013
Good acting, interesting production design, commendable themes and a racy screenplay makes Hunger Games the big budget fantasy precedent for this decade. The one and only thing that mars this otherwise engagingly well made blockbuster is itsGood acting, interesting production design, commendable themes and a racy screenplay makes Hunger Games the big budget fantasy precedent for this decade. The one and only thing that mars this otherwise engagingly well made blockbuster is its cinematography with its unnecessary and excessive use of the shaky/handheld cam effect which more than anything robs the fine production design of its value. Expand