The Hunger Games

7.0

1. Apr 27, 2016
    This is a movie like we've never seen before. The plot is great. The cast is awesome, I mean come on it's Jennifer Lawrence we're talking about!
    /////
  2. Apr 17, 2016
    A refreshingly grim and realistic premise for an American film meant for teens. Disney it ain't and that's a strength. The weakness? Way, way too much fidelity to the source material. The first hour and a half is ponderous and keeps repeating plot and character points that may have been useful in the novel, but really drag the movie down at least when it pertains to the villainousA refreshingly grim and realistic premise for an American film meant for teens. Disney it ain't and that's a strength. The weakness? Way, way too much fidelity to the source material. The first hour and a half is ponderous and keeps repeating plot and character points that may have been useful in the novel, but really drag the movie down at least when it pertains to the villainous characters. They are portrayed without an ounce of balance or empathy! As an artistic choice, it's fine, but then someone should have taken some liberties with the script to assure that we weren't treated to endless scenes of Tucci and company being wretched and evil. It got old very quickly. Casting was mostly well done. Rue worked for me and I believe was a true artistic choice especially in Katniss' final acts for her. Lawrence was much, much better in this role than in anything she has done before. It's the first time I've seen her reveal herself in her acting. She worked for me and the nuances of the premise made me feel like I was not watching something put out there to make the kids "feel empowered" which is 90% of teen film. To be commended. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2016
    The hunger games does a really good good with introducing us to one most epic, dramatic, and suspension. Plus for thoes who haven't read the book, you will be on the edge of your seat.
  4. Mar 11, 2016
    Oh yay a terrible summer blockbuster. Stupid, insipid, generic, and an all-around disaster, it perplexes me how The Hunger Games was well received. Classic young adult nonsense featuring every action movie cliche in the history of humanity, the film occasionally pretends to show how crazy we are for loving violence and how fake television is, yet it is entirely fake itself by trying toOh yay a terrible summer blockbuster. Stupid, insipid, generic, and an all-around disaster, it perplexes me how The Hunger Games was well received. Classic young adult nonsense featuring every action movie cliche in the history of humanity, the film occasionally pretends to show how crazy we are for loving violence and how fake television is, yet it is entirely fake itself by trying to manipulate the audience at every turn. Jennifer Lawrence is fine and Josh Hutcherson is okay, but Liam Hemsworth's acting is a joke. Every single plot turn is telegraphed and made so abundantly clear that somebody could be not watching the movie, walk in in the middle of it, and guess how it will turn out by one glance at the screen. The direction is uninspired, the film is overlong and packed to the brim with filler. Honesty, much of the beginning drags on for too long. My personal favorite part was where Woody Harrelson's character gives Jennifer Lawrence advice and she promptly ignores it. The CGI in the film is horrendous and almost comical. At one point, they approach the capital and Hutcherson's character remarks something along the lines of it, "Wow look at it" and all I could think of was changing it to say, "Wow, look at it, a CGi city in the mountains". That is how bad the CGI is. It looks like everything was overexposed. The costume design is beyond peculiar with everyone wearing bizarre get ups and weirdo hairdos. I honestly have no idea why this was done. The premise on its own is idiotic. Sacrificing 12-18 year olds to be killed every year to punish them for rebelling? Yeah, that's certainly very likely. I like dystopian ideas as much as the next guy, but let's be real here. The character development is awful, matching up with the bad script that really has a blast at giving forced exposition through any means necessary. It wants to try and pretend to develop these characters, so it tosses in a few nonsense flashback sequences that add nothing to the overall film. Lucky us.

One of the few redeeming factors here is the interesting world it designed. Though I think the premise is dumb, the world itself is compelling enough to make me curious how it all turns out in the end. Plus, the action is pretty well shot and the thrills the film produces are satisfying enough, even if they are entirely derivative. The film looks good enough on the whole to make me accept its many flaws to the point that I did not entirely hate the movie, but it is quite bad. Overall, The Hunger Games truly made me hunger for a better film.
  5. Feb 29, 2016
    The first third of Hunger Games surprised me genuinely, and it kept its hold on me. I had not expected that this fantasy would convey deep emotion. That, and the great actors, unique soundtrack and consequent art design add a lot to a not quite outworn scenario. I highly enjoyed the beauty and the quality of the film (and also, the overdone references to other genre movies will amuse forThe first third of Hunger Games surprised me genuinely, and it kept its hold on me. I had not expected that this fantasy would convey deep emotion. That, and the great actors, unique soundtrack and consequent art design add a lot to a not quite outworn scenario. I highly enjoyed the beauty and the quality of the film (and also, the overdone references to other genre movies will amuse for some time to come).

Sadly, when the fighting starts, the plot loses important nuances, although the story still motivated me enough to hold out to the end. An accomplishment, but the duration is probably just too long - something I usually don't say because I like a good epic. But in this case, weaknesses of an old plot recipe eat up almost the rest of the movie. That's why I gave 7 - after a captivating start and some precious sequences after that.
  6. Feb 10, 2016
    The hunger games is the first film in the book to film adaptation. There are great things about this movie, like the action and how it brings to life what you imagine the hunger games to be. It also has a great tone of realism as well as fantastic acting. Despite this, there are notable problems with this movie. The character development isn't great, and the shaky cam is very frustratingThe hunger games is the first film in the book to film adaptation. There are great things about this movie, like the action and how it brings to life what you imagine the hunger games to be. It also has a great tone of realism as well as fantastic acting. Despite this, there are notable problems with this movie. The character development isn't great, and the shaky cam is very frustrating to watch. Continuing with the bad points, there was a lack of communication between the characters and some scenes can be very boring. Altogether the hunger games is quite good and a good opening to the hg series so............Good luck seeing this on amazon. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: It's a fantastic adaptation of the book that stays true to the excitement and futuristic society - like the pages you read have come to life. It's beautifully shot, gritty and exciting and (like the book) manages to retain interest throughout. This is largely thanks to Jennifer Lawrence who does such an excellent job of bringing Katniss to life.
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It feels
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It feels a little rushed, and maybe it stays too true to the book to be imaginative?
    VERDICT: True Hunger Games fans will be impressed. This is as gripping and visual as the books were - that's a big achievement.
  8. Jan 3, 2016
    This is not a successful start of a series of films from the perspective of the director's work. But surely we must pay tribute to the actors, writer (Susan Collins) and set decorator.
  9. Jan 3, 2016
    It's only a matter of time before this film received the score it should deserve for now. It totally deserve the 7 score for at least now. It'll rise sooner or later.
  10. Dec 4, 2015
    Unlike my reviews for mockingjay part 1 and 2, this movie is actually really good, and makes you fall in love with the characters, at times make you cry. I highly recommend watching this great film.
  11. Dec 2, 2015
    From book to film , and the fact the fact , the first delivery is the beginning of an adventure without contemplation , and left three reasons for this, first , had not read the book but pleased his story has been amazing , Second The history which Katniss Everdeen volunteered to protect her sister Prim, which died in the last delivery but this character will be in our thoughts , herFrom book to film , and the fact the fact , the first delivery is the beginning of an adventure without contemplation , and left three reasons for this, first , had not read the book but pleased his story has been amazing , Second The history which Katniss Everdeen volunteered to protect her sister Prim, which died in the last delivery but this character will be in our thoughts , her courage to play to survive, and so will live the rest of the story . Expand
  12. Dec 2, 2015
    This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen! Typical plot, pathetic story, horrible acting and decent action! I haven't read the books but i bet they can't be worse than this garbage i watched!
  13. Nov 30, 2015
    A very entertaining film with good acting, nice character design and impressive effects. The story is interesting to follow and there isn't anything groundbreaking but not anything bad either.
  14. Nov 27, 2015
    Great movie really liked it I'm glad there are going to be sequels because I really want to know where it's going to go. There's one death it the movie that is one of the saddest deaths in a movie I have ever seen.
  15. Nov 21, 2015
    Hollywood PG-13 version of ''Battle Royale'' full of meaningless dialogues, uninteresting characters in ridiculous costumes and a script so bad it's only comparable to "Twilight".
  16. Nov 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apesar de ser meio fiel o filme tem uma movimentação de câmeras péssima, uma maior visibilidade do casal falso Peeta e Katniss não bate com a relatada no livro, até mesmo o livro é mais pesado em questões de lutas, que são relatadas como sangrentas, oque não ocorreu no filme. O filme agrada, mas não dá imersão total aos telespectadores na história. Expand
  17. Sep 21, 2015
    When I originally saw The Hunger Games, I was wowed. Beautiful effects and strong acting. However, after recently re watching it I realized there were more problems than meet the eye. The Hunger Games is directed by Gary Ross and stares Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. Let's start with the bad. After watching the sequels I realize (and don't hate me for this)When I originally saw The Hunger Games, I was wowed. Beautiful effects and strong acting. However, after recently re watching it I realized there were more problems than meet the eye. The Hunger Games is directed by Gary Ross and stares Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. Let's start with the bad. After watching the sequels I realize (and don't hate me for this) Jennifer Lawrence is just not giving as strong a performance as in later films. It's perfectly fine but I wish she gave us a more layered performance in general. Also, there is little development of the supporting characters. We get there name, a general backstory but that's it. Also the main problem in this film is: Shaky Cam. This film's battle scenes have so much shaky cam at some points it's extremely hard to see what's going on. But of course there are good parts. The story is obviously excellent. Woody Harrelson gives a great performance, a mentor who seems crazy but is actually a man who has just lost his way. The visuals are spectacular and there are some true moments of emotion throughout this film. The capitol is beautifully designed with each building going beyond your wildest imaginations. Every possibly cheesy moment in the book is done right for the most part. Overall despite some problems with character development and shaky cam The Hunger Games is well- written well done adaption that opens the series up properly despite not being as good as Catching Fire. This is why I give it a 7/10. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2015
    "The Hunger Games" is probably one of the very few movies that doesn't get swept over by the teenage fad curse, with a huge thanks to excellent performances from Jennifer Lawrence.
  19. Aug 14, 2015
    Pros:
    Switches traditional gender roles
    World building
    Believable story

Cons:
    Some sections of the story seem rushed, though this is a typical issue when converting a book to a movie
    The amount of people left at any given time is not stated as often as it should
    Not many of the contestants other than the main ones had any back story
  20. Jun 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty good for the 1st movie. the one death of rue is one of the saddest deaths In movie history. the plot is that there is this battle royal were 24 kids fight to the death. it's not 100% original ( battle royal & gamer)but it's still a good film over all. Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2015
    The best novel based movie ever.The Hunger Games has astonishing acting and directing that makes for an unforgettable movie with an unforgettable heroin that's not what everybody would expect her to be.Amazing movie.
  22. Jun 9, 2015
    This movie is pretty overrated. First of all, the movie does do pretty good making itself have the Hunger Games setting look and you actually feel pretty intense. But the shaky cam was just so annoying. I still thought the plot was good and the part where Effie chooses the tickets was handled very well as well as good acting from Jennifer Lawrence.
  23. May 19, 2015
    Jennifer Lawrence = Freaking obnoxious and over-dramatic; a mediocre Katniss

Story = Meh Book-to-Movie Translation = Meh Pita-didn't-lose-a-leg = Check I know, I'm picky. But I really don't get the hype for this movie. Was the book okay? Yeah, even though it was a bit overrated at the time it came out. But when the tension all dies down, I just won't like this movie that much.
    Jennifer Lawrence = Freaking obnoxious and over-dramatic; a mediocre Katniss

Story = Meh

Book-to-Movie Translation = Meh

Pita-didn't-lose-a-leg = Check

But when the tension all dies down, I just won't like this movie that much. The very few good things found in this movie, such as visuals, and...nothing else. Though I do have to say that the visuals are pretty damn good.
  24. May 15, 2015
    You know when you watch it a dozen times its not really that bad I think this is the only good book series to be made into a movie trilogy with a female lead

Lots of interesting characters and one gory story I just couldn't resist the urge to see it

a combination of the olympics with war its just undeniably tense
  25. Apr 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the hunger game is a story about every year there is a battle royal were 24 kids fright to the death and one comes out. this movie has a great death sense with this girl name rue it was a very good death sense. Expand
  26. Mar 13, 2015
    With it's engaging narrative set-up, unforgettable cast of characters and ferociously powerful action sequences, The Hunger Games sets the bar surprisingly high for book-to-movie adaptations to come.
  27. Mar 9, 2015
    The Hunger Games o "Los Juegos del Hambre" es entretenimiento increíble, polémico e interesante. Después de ver que la trama era sobre un futuro Apocalipsis, donde todos los niños y adolescentes pelean a muerte en una arena de combate y al final solo uno puede sobrevivir; me intereso muchísimo y e de decir que cuando termine la pelicula, me quede con ganas de mas; tanto así que comencé aThe Hunger Games o "Los Juegos del Hambre" es entretenimiento increíble, polémico e interesante. Después de ver que la trama era sobre un futuro Apocalipsis, donde todos los niños y adolescentes pelean a muerte en una arena de combate y al final solo uno puede sobrevivir; me intereso muchísimo y e de decir que cuando termine la pelicula, me quede con ganas de mas; tanto así que comencé a leer la trilogía. En términos de adaptación, es pasable, hay muchos cambios y muchos cortes, pero la cinta es objetiva, entretenida, llena de suspenso, violencia, critica política y Amor. The Hunger Games es sin duda un film brutal, con una critica fuerte hacia el gobierno. Expand
  28. Mar 1, 2015
    Its somewhat shaky cameras can be compensated by Jennifer Lawrence's all-star performance and its thrilling, emotionally resonant storytelling. One of the few YA films that actually works.
  29. Feb 7, 2015
    Extremely overrated! There was a lot of hype for this film and I can't believe that so many people were drawn in by this movie. Now we have another mediocre film series based on a novel for teenagers. The best thing about this film is that it spawned the career of Jennifer Lawrence, who has shown off her chops in a lot of better films. I won't be watching another one of these films.
  30. Feb 7, 2015
    Now I read the trilogy and really enjoyed it but this movie made me a bit queasy. I've never been fond of movies in which a female is the main lead, especially when she's not very attractive nor a good actor. I slept through the whole movie because it was soo boring. Very disappointed; would like a refund.
  31. Jan 14, 2015
    This is a good film, mostly because of its great action and top notch special effects, the reason it didn't recieve a 9 or 10 is because the characters are on a Twilight scale of blandness.
  32. Jan 11, 2015
    A thrilling action-packed film with the strong lead character of Katniss Everdeen. A great first installment in the Hunger Games series. It's much better than your normal book teen obsession. *cough* Twilight *cough*
  33. Jan 3, 2015
    I loved the film on its initial release. Rewatching it,, the plot is straightfoward. It's 21st century "Running Man", for the teens. Unreality television being parodied. What makes the film interesting in the world, Jennifer Lawrence as the " rising star."
  34. Dec 16, 2014
    in movie, characters have each fascinating point and director well catch about their good feature.
    and music is well awesome grand and with movie. especially heroine's playing is so good
  35. Dec 10, 2014
    How summit keep insisting on teenage dumb movies? People said that this movie is great, but not even jennifer lawrence save this crap,i hope the sequels gets better.
  36. Nov 30, 2014
    The movie was okay, it was not that interesting in my opinion. I liked the books but the movie did not capture my attention as much as the books. It stayed too focused on the action of the hunger games and i began to lose my attention slowly and by the end of the movie i didn't care about what was happening. it was a well acted and a well scripted movie but most of the scenes were not thatThe movie was okay, it was not that interesting in my opinion. I liked the books but the movie did not capture my attention as much as the books. It stayed too focused on the action of the hunger games and i began to lose my attention slowly and by the end of the movie i didn't care about what was happening. it was a well acted and a well scripted movie but most of the scenes were not that interesting to me. Expand
  37. Nov 26, 2014
    Plain shallow .. This movie has some potential as far as setting and theme go but they to choose to do absolute **** with it.. Its slow, boring , deaths are uneventful.. The overall plot of the movie can be seen through about 20 minutes into the flick.. If not for the beautiful Lawrence , I hadn't even watched it through to the end..
  38. Nov 23, 2014
    The Hunger Games es una película que te intriga y entretiene desde que empieza hasta que termina, con mucha acción y grandes actuaciones por parte de todos. Es totalmente una gran película de Ciencia-Ficción.
  39. Nov 22, 2014
    Una película totalmente sobrevalorada, con unos personajes tan estúpidos como poco interesantes y una trama absurda. Aunque, si la tengo que comparar con las otras dos que la preceden, esta me parece mejor. Al menos tenía un poco el elemento sorpresa y el final fue algo mejor.
    Pero vamos, que como película no vale mucho...
  40. Nov 12, 2014
    What really bums me out about this movie is that is had incredible potential. The storyline was primed to be a great blockbuster with tons of action and great moments. The writers never got this to perdition. The "climax" in the movie is basically nonexistent with the ending being equally crappy.
  41. Nov 9, 2014
    A solid start to a promising franchise, The Hunger Games thrills with good action sequences and a brilliant performance by Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  42. Oct 19, 2014
    Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until oneEvery year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.
    Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
  43. Oct 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is a sweet fantasy, since the cinematography until the story. The Cast is glorious with a great performance. During the course of the movie, the actions scenes brings action to the viewer. Sometimes the story is predictable like the romance between Peeta e Katniss. In the general is awesome!
  44. Oct 7, 2014
    I don't understand what got this movie so hyped and successful...I haven't read the books and yet I can't help but think this has totally been done before. Maybe you remember the 1980s film The Running Man? Arnold...anyone? When you make a movie with a plot that has already been done, you better have some extra fire power to back it up. Of which this movie had little to none. TheI don't understand what got this movie so hyped and successful...I haven't read the books and yet I can't help but think this has totally been done before. Maybe you remember the 1980s film The Running Man? Arnold...anyone? When you make a movie with a plot that has already been done, you better have some extra fire power to back it up. Of which this movie had little to none. The characters had very little and/or significant development. I didn't feel bad when they died, enough said. Wasn't that the girl from the movie Orphan? That movie was sick! (the good kind of sick) You monsters diminished her talent! And Jennifer Lawrence, just didn't have the edge I feel like a girl in her situation would need, sure she can shoot, but what good is that when there's no fire? Where's the animal kill or be killed instinct? No believable feeling. And there's no one else better than her to eventually be the one who takes down the bad guys? Her performance makes that tough to believe. Terrible. And there's more of the series to come. Wow. I don't think they can salvage this. But how cute, they're going to try. Expand
  45. Sep 28, 2014
    I don't think a movie aimed for teenage girls can be any better. In this view, 10/10 is deserved. But as an actual film, 7 seems fair to me. Maybe even 8.
  46. Sep 2, 2014
    The constant comparisons to the novel from which it came are destined to tear down this film--but that's just not fair, it's really quite remarkable. Jennifer Lawrence and her fellow cast members bring this extraordinary tale to life on-screen.
  47. Aug 24, 2014
    Let's kick off this review by stating that I haven't read the book(s) this movie is based on. Hence it's all about the movie and not book-to-film translation (before I read the books, anyway).

The idea behind the story is compelling, gruesome and quite horrible. To choose 24 children to fight each other to the death until only one remains, in order to choke 12 Districts under the Capitol's control is something I haven't seen done before.

The Hunger Games, and the way they were presented, was thrilling. The comparison of two different worlds, from far-away Districts to the Capitol, and the way the Games are perceived between the two was brilliant. The preparation of the Tributes for the Games was almost more interesting than the final feat itself, although they balanced it quite nicely.

Most of the Tributes never got all that much time on screen - perhaps to make their deaths seem less important. They had to die, so better not make the audience feel too much for them. The actor performances and characters were well balanced, although the scheming behind the theatrics could have been given more depth. Also, it felt like the creators of the game cheated every now and then, but that's live TV for you; they must make it appealing - in this case by finding ways to control the game.

The visual look of the movie was stunning, between very different worlds, one corporeal and one quite futuristic, all the way to make-up and clothing which finalized the impact of how removed the Capitol truly is from the "real world". It was appalling, in a sense, and you wanted to shake each and every one of those pretentious, naïve, spoiled people. (This is the setting where you can find the social rifts and values of the modern world in a nutshell.)

This film is definitely worth the watch - and I'm eagerly waiting for the sequels and what turns of events they will provide in the already established setting.
  48. Aug 24, 2014
    This film comes across as exploitative and cheap as the games it depicts. As an audience member, I felt shallow, exploitive and confused about whether I should be enjoying this.
    But it is aimed at a younger, less empathetic, and less clever audience.
    But it is aimed at a younger, less empathetic, and less clever audience.
    Perhaps the irony of watching the watchers is satisfying to some. Personally it left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. I could go into the stupid plot-holes, the greyscale-esque blue-and-gold visual delivery, the ending which gives you no emotional reward but... at the end, unlike the running man and the truman show, this never feels anything but shallowly-emotional and forced.
  49. Aug 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is a dystopian science fiction film that keeps its audience on the edge. It is a film that is based in Panem that was once known as North America. Panem is a capital that is rich and is surrounded by 12 districts that are poor. Panem controls each district and forces each of them to present one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 year-olds that will appear in aThe Hunger Games is a dystopian science fiction film that keeps its audience on the edge. It is a film that is based in Panem that was once known as North America. Panem is a capital that is rich and is surrounded by 12 districts that are poor. Panem controls each district and forces each of them to present one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 year-olds that will appear in a reality show. This show is not the average everyday reality television show; it is about life and death, literally. Each person is placed in a controlled environment and they are forced to kill one another until the last person is standing. That is until Katniss Everdean changes the game. Katniss is a sixteen year-old girl that is a strong, smart, courageous girl that uses her wit to play the game as well as change the outcome of it.

The beginning of the film is a little drawn out and slow but as it progresses it develops into a film that is full of raw emotion, action and drama. The cinematography, editing and sound is extremely effective with capturing the audience. In the beginning of the film, District 12 appears to be cold and sad. This is because there is not much light and the clothes seems old fashion and lacks color. It is almost like it was made in the 1950’s. This gives the audience a sense of how poor and less worthy these people are portrayed. Whereas, Panem is filled with light, colorful and vibrant. This shows the audience that the town is made of money and that they are worthier than the districts.

The arena where the tributes fight is a controlled environment. It is an environment that embodies the hunt. But they are hunting each other as opposed to animals. Some of the tributes are brutal and love the game and play it with pride. Katniss is different and does not kill for the game but kills for survival and shows that she cares which is why she is able to put a twist on it.

This film is heart breaking and brutal, but it is a must see. Every aspect of this film grabs the audience. It is full of raw emotion, action and drama. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.
  50. Jul 31, 2014
    Based on the bestselling books for young adults the Hunger Games is a set in a world where, in order to keep the population under control, two children from each of the twelve districts are chosen to compete a two week trial in which only one can survive.

I haven't read the books but throughout the movie I got the sense that certain elements have been left underdeveloped and toned down in order to maintain a reasonable running time and ensure a rating that would allow fans of the books to see it. In large part thanks to the central performance by, the always excellent, Jennifer Lawrence however The Hunger Games still makes for a relatively entertaining watch. It is well shot and moves along at a good pace with just enough tension to keep things from become too predictable.

Not a classic but certainly worth a watch.
  51. Jul 27, 2014
    stupid book adaption...again. copying divergent (the best movie of all time). woo hoo, crossbow wielding katniss everdeen is copying terrel dickson from that one vampire show. katniss is a douche bag. she doesnt help her family get food and steals the spotlight for her soon to be famous sister prinrows. heck, her sister told her she had dreams about getting picked, dont interfere woman.stupid book adaption...again. copying divergent (the best movie of all time). woo hoo, crossbow wielding katniss everdeen is copying terrel dickson from that one vampire show. katniss is a douche bag. she doesnt help her family get food and steals the spotlight for her soon to be famous sister prinrows. heck, her sister told her she had dreams about getting picked, dont interfere woman. president snowball is so white. the hunger games is a bland book about a protagonist named cato who SPOILER ALERT dies at the end. you couldve killed rue. thanks a lot jennifer lawrence. Expand
  52. Jul 19, 2014
    Aunque posee varios movimientos de cámara y sus efectos visuales son bastante pobres, es una película interesante que te atrapa, una trama que debemos agradecer a Suzanne Collins, e interpretaciones respetables.
  53. Jun 11, 2014
    The movie was so in deep in times it was actually very epic. The movie was similar to the book in the basics at least. The actual hunger games part of the movie was not only very epic but very thrilling and suspenseful. This movie got a lot of hate, mainly because people thought that it was too much of a 'movie' and not enough of a 'story', im not even to quite sure what that means but imThe movie was so in deep in times it was actually very epic. The movie was similar to the book in the basics at least. The actual hunger games part of the movie was not only very epic but very thrilling and suspenseful. This movie got a lot of hate, mainly because people thought that it was too much of a 'movie' and not enough of a 'story', im not even to quite sure what that means but im guessing it means the movie wasn't telling enough story. Of course very unlike the book itself. I think the movie is better than the book, mainly because im not a big reader. But if I were to actually think about it and focus on every little part and listened to others, I would say the book is better than the movie.. Expand
  54. May 30, 2014
    "The Hunger Games" marks a spectacular introduction to the franchise. With dramatic violence, incredible performances, and a intimate/epic story telling it is a film that you would watch over & over again.
  55. May 18, 2014
    It's kinda nice and watchable. Background story is great. But it lacks depth. Some moments are really weird and not in a good way ... The costume design is awesome, very creative!
  56. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much wasted potential. I really loved the good dystopian atmosphere of the movie beginning, but when it came to the games - it started becoming less good. The strange turn of events, unnecessarily lengthy cheesy and "dramatic" sequences. I didn't like the thing that there were fireballs thrown to the main character and those giant dogs in the end. Just kills all the immersion. The other thing I didn't like - the main hero is not just so good, she just always gets lucky, so that means any other lucky guy can be on her place, I mean you can't see why she is the one to win, there is always someone/something to help her. Otherwise the actors are good, I always like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson on screen. Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie though I do not regret the wasted time. Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2014
    i love the hunger games it shows us if we dont change our society now there will be a world war 3
  58. Apr 19, 2014
    Not bad, but lacking in many aspects. While the scenery is stunning, character development seems rather insufficient and the pacing of the film is somewhat awkward. Furthermore, it is obvious that all the techniques employed during action sequences were intended to tone down the violence to a childish level (to maintain a PG-13 rating perhaps, which would certainly guarantee a better boxNot bad, but lacking in many aspects. While the scenery is stunning, character development seems rather insufficient and the pacing of the film is somewhat awkward. Furthermore, it is obvious that all the techniques employed during action sequences were intended to tone down the violence to a childish level (to maintain a PG-13 rating perhaps, which would certainly guarantee a better box office performance). The violence is an important aspect of the story, and such blatant toning-down is simply unacceptable. Expand
  59. Apr 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is one of the best movies that I have seen. It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen, who has to go to the hunger games for the second time in her life. She has to fight for her life which can also affect on the whole worlds destiny.
    Everyone should totally watch Hunger Games. It is really popular and everyone has seen it. If you haven't seen it yet you should watch it right now!
  60. Apr 12, 2014
    I give this rating 4/10 because i watched it to many times they make dumb choices in the movie .
    Grade for hunger games B
    Grade for catching fire D.
  61. Apr 12, 2014
    Nice film. It makes a nice discourse based on the book's message with an awesome performance from Jennifer Lawrence and a direction and production that worth it.
  62. Apr 4, 2014
    Seriously, **** this film. It is awful. I'm not going into detail because it would take hours for me to go over everything that makes this thing unwatchable. Suffice to say it's just a senseless story driven by insufferably irritating characters and a string of convenient plot devices that sporadically fade in and out of relevance. If you want a film about a brutal death match, watchSeriously, **** this film. It is awful. I'm not going into detail because it would take hours for me to go over everything that makes this thing unwatchable. Suffice to say it's just a senseless story driven by insufferably irritating characters and a string of convenient plot devices that sporadically fade in and out of relevance. If you want a film about a brutal death match, watch battle royale. If you want a film about ridiculous angst ridden teenage romance, watch twilight. If you want a film that tries to include a death match and a convoluted teenage romance and fails at both, watch the hunger games. Expand
  63. Apr 1, 2014
    The Hunger Games movie is an excellent adaption of the great book of the same name and I think that it should be accepted as it is. I think the movie did a grand job of following the original book even though it's definitely not as violent as the book. The characters were great and the acting is overall good from mostly everyone, Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job playing Katniss. TheThe Hunger Games movie is an excellent adaption of the great book of the same name and I think that it should be accepted as it is. I think the movie did a grand job of following the original book even though it's definitely not as violent as the book. The characters were great and the acting is overall good from mostly everyone, Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job playing Katniss. The camera was pretty shaky overall at times which I know was a common complaint but I must say that it was still overall pretty view able as a movie goes. The action was also great and I did like the suspense portrayed throughout this film. Overall, The Hunger Games film is a faithful adaption that may still have some issues from time to time but it still a great film. If you like the book, I'm sure you'll enjoy this film. Expand
  64. Mar 26, 2014
    This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie.This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie. Overall this film is fantastic. Expand
  65. Mar 19, 2014
    Dat was awesome, thank you for making a movie out of the book. One thing doe you forgot to include Madge. Otherwise it was awesome. While most movies based on books are horrible, this was ok.
  66. Mar 12, 2014
    honestly for the longest time after I saw this on netflix, I thought it was a slower, duller american remake of "battle royale", without any of the fun black humor. now that I know that's apparently not true, I now think of this movie as just slow, dull and without any sense of humor.
  67. Mar 8, 2014
    This was an unwatchable, tedious, ass-numbing, bore of a movie; not worthy of even “made for TV” status. The acting was stilted and wooden; Jennifer Lawrence is creepy looking and unattractive. Honestly the whole thing was a mess from start to finish. Save your money and opt out of the remaining movies now; doubtful they will get any better.
  68. Mar 3, 2014
    Katniss everdeen is a beacon of courage. When I first read the novel I fell in love with this series. The movie was great and so was the sequel. Amazing!
  69. Feb 4, 2014
    Not being the most original film, it catches this dystopian future decorated with some life mottoes. Panem, the jungle-world, creates a place,in a grotesque manner, for the contestants to show their skills in a way that every human being is reduced to it's basic survival feeling. I think all that matters it's the motivation. First two districts are led by fame and arrogance antithetical toNot being the most original film, it catches this dystopian future decorated with some life mottoes. Panem, the jungle-world, creates a place,in a grotesque manner, for the contestants to show their skills in a way that every human being is reduced to it's basic survival feeling. I think all that matters it's the motivation. First two districts are led by fame and arrogance antithetical to last district that is led by love. The protagonist shows that even in this life-threatening scenario we can form an alliance based on true friendship and there is a hope that in the end people could regain their humanity. Expand
  70. Feb 1, 2014
    Normally, when it comes to book, video game or cartoon characters being turned into movies, they usually have a mediocre or negative reception. Examples of this include Super Mario Bros (1993 film), Scooby Doo (2002 film) and the whole friggin Twilight movie series (seriously, why did they make more if the original sucked??)

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film,

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film, and here is why. It starts out with Katniss searching for food for the family when there is an announcement that the 74th Hunger Games contestants are going to be picked out. At first, it was supposed to be Rosemary, Katniss' sister but Katniss goes instead because she cannot bear to see her sister die. A series of events happen after this like the training, the interviews, the actual fights itself were awesome as well. I loved this movie and despite the hate that it gets, it is still a great movie.
  71. Jan 26, 2014
    Mhm, I read the book and watched the movie about a year later. I really liked it, enjoyed it throughout it all. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good, only thing that annoyed me was fighting scenes in the dark and the TOO shaky movement of the camera (at times, sometimes it actually fit in with the atmosphere).
    Recommended.
  72. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is well written, acted and shot, however the beauty of it seems unnatural with its dark themes. I feel this film (along with the book series) is built more for a 'Harry Potter' audience and is to watered down for it's adult themes.
  73. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is just a copy of Battle Royale, it's plagiarism. There's nothing new here, there's nothing stunning or amazing it's just a film to take your money and is a big hollywood fail.
  74. Jan 3, 2014
    Let me warn you: If you have not read the book you will have no idea what is going on. I watched this with my father, who never read the book, and I had to explain EVERYTHING to him. I, being a fan of the trilogy, thought it was fine. Undeniably flawed, but still a decent flick.
  75. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best dystopian fiction holds a mirror up to our own society, extrapolating current trends to extreme endpoints. Here, in a grim future America, the gaudy citizens of the Capital lead lives of leisure amid the glittering spires of their neo-classical metropolis while the Appalachian miners of District 12 carve a meagre living straight out of the Great Depression. Every year, they are forced to participate in their oppressors’ sadistic version reality TV (with brilliantly over the top X-factor style commentary): the titular Hunger Games, an annual gladiatorial combat between children, in which the sole survivor emerges as victor.

The face of the revolution is the teenage Katniss (Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) whose strong performance drives a film which is otherwise far from subtle. Yet there’s no doubt that this film is thoroughly exciting and engaging. For a start, the young actors here are miles better than the cast of the cheesy ‘80s slasher flicks I’ve been watching lately.

The weakest part of the story is the attempted love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale which started in the last film. It pales in comparison to the wider struggle of the story and is perhaps wisely downplayed. Gale (Liam Hemsworth, who somehow has third billing) is a childhood friend of Katniss, but feels like a redundant character, appearing in very few scenes to give the TV a jealous glance whenever he sees Peeta, who has infinitely more screen time.
  76. Dec 21, 2013
    I have found the movie has bad acting, the animations are not realistic and the plot was very bad. The scenes looked very 'bright and happy', so did the soldiers uniforms, also, is it just me or does everyone have clothes always look good as new and the characters have minimal amounts of dirt on them too?

In the movie story things that are extremely unlikely happened then something else extremely unlikely happened to make it follow the book.

All that said, I am definitely not going to watch the sequels.
  77. Dec 12, 2013
    Great acting and fresh direction make 'The Hunger Games' a great watch, but it can get predictable and sometimes the camera movements get a bit distracting.
  78. Dec 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hunger Games was written by American novelist, Suzanne Collins and was published and released in autumn 2008. The breathtaking book is about a girl in a poor District with The Hunger Games in the capitol once a year to fight until death. When her sister is taken out to do this challenge, what will Katniss do to save her sister?
    Gary Ross, 56, an American director, writer and author who wrote and directed this appalling version of an amazing book. He took the feeling out of the words Collins wrote and should be ashamed of himself.
    It was released in the UK in March 2012 and the total box office amount was £457,295,652. Many people, including myself, were clearly disappointed as we wanted to get the feeling we got with Collins’ books but instead I sat through a poor version with terrible acting.
    A man coming out of the cinema said “They couldn’t act. Stone faced, that’s what they were”. If I were Suzanne Collins I would feel utterly embarrassed to say that was based on a book I wrote.
    Jennifer Lawrence, 22, is a beautiful and talented actress but i felt her part was extremely flat but, of course, i put the blame on Gary Ross as he was responsible.
    The script was forced, terrible and completely horrendous! It made me cringe! Some of the memorable lines from the movie were taken from the book but having them being read aloud instead of reading them in your head ruined the experience. As well as the terrible script, there were also technical difficulties like when the camera would jerk and everyone in the screening room would feel suspense but Ross was building up to nothing. I am not an expert in special effects but to me, it looked like a student in primary school doing it for the first time and hoping for the best! It was an attempt to be serious but they failed miserably.
    With a budget of £51.6m, they should’ve hired a decent camera-man as to not make the whole film look like a school play!
    Overall, I give this despicable mess of a movie 0.5 of a star because they based it on an excellent book and I recommend you reading the book!
  79. Dec 11, 2013
    The Hunger Games can be summed up like this: the good is heavily outweighed by the bad. Only fans of the books should view it to see if they can get an ounce of satisfaction from the film adaptation. For everyone else, don't waste your time.
  80. Dec 8, 2013
    The movie has it's moments but then it becomes hard to imagine the world where 23 kids are killed every year on a live tv show just for entertainment of the others.
  81. Dec 4, 2013
    It is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takes place in a future setting in a nation known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts and the capitol. This science fiction, adventure-filled filmIt is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takes place in a future setting in a nation known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts and the capitol. This science fiction, adventure-filled film is bound to have the viewer on the edge of their seats.

Each year, in the nation of Panem, two young adults are selected by lottery to represent their district in "The Hunger Games", a televised fight-to-death that the rest of the citizens are required to watch. When Katniss' younger sister's name is called to represent District 12, Katniss volunteers herself in order for her sister to remain safe. The male drawn as Katniss' partner for The Hunger Games is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), whom she has dramatic history with. Immediately after being selected, the two are sent away to training where they must gain the proper skills to survive The Hunger Games. Given only a small amount of supplies, Katniss and Peeta are sent into the woods where they compete against the remaining 22 opponents. Katniss finds herself a nice tree, where she is able to make a small platform for her to sleep on for the night with the hopes that no one will spot her. Day after day, Katniss and Peeta must remain a team to protect each other for survival. Obstacles appear, and suddenly the game is unpredictable. Throughout the film, the audience gets an intense look as The Hunger Games play out, leaving them on edge and unsure of the end results.

The director of this film, Gary Ross, did a fabulous job of directing this film. The angles used within the film helped the audience to get a better understanding of emotion within the film. Despite the fast-paced, extreme situations that each opponent faces throughout The Hunger Games, the audience is able to feel the connections between the characters. Furthermore, the audience gets a chance to feel as if they are part of the film, finding themselves cheering on the main characters as they fight for their lives.

The set design and costumes were also done really well in this movie, as it allowed the viewer to believe this actually took place in the future. The set design was a perfect fit for this film, as a majority of the film took place outside in the woods. The set design allowed the film to bring to life the world that Suzanne Collins had created in her novels. Additionally, it was very easy for the audience to see the difference between life in District 12 and the capitol, where life in the District was poor and rural with washed out buildings, and the capitol was futuristic with modern decorations and bright colors.

This film was strategically put together, allowing for the audience to feel a sense of belonging, as though they were involved. From the very beginning to the very end, the audience is hooked, and more often than not, begging for the sequel. From the cast, to the set design, to the directing, The Hunger Games is a high quality film that is strongly recommended for any teenagers, as well as any one interested in adventure films.
  82. Dec 1, 2013
    this movie was okay at most it was boring for really long and the hype was over a book and book fans will give it a good review that it will not deserve dont let your loyalism make people think a whack movie is good so they go buy it or something
  83. Nov 30, 2013
    It's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as the Capitol intends). One of my problems with "The Hunger Games", is that there is not enough time to develop all of the information brought in the bookIt's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as the Capitol intends). One of my problems with "The Hunger Games", is that there is not enough time to develop all of the information brought in the book onscreen. Even with 2 hrs and 30 minutes, I feel that, "The Hunger Games" is generally rushed. It's hard to take in emotional scenes if they are happening to fast, and unfortunately for me, this was a little hard to grasp. Another issue remained with the CG, and how it seemed very Computer Generated rather then realistic. But then again, with a $78 million budget, it's hard to complain. I may feel nagging, but I still feel that "The Hunger Games" is a strong film, as it succeeds is driving the emotions and feeling of intensity in your face. Expand
  84. Nov 29, 2013
    Alright, I was hyped for this movie, and I was somewhat let down by it. I loved the book series, and I guess I should have known that movies based off books aren't going to be as good.
  85. Nov 29, 2013
    I thought the Hunger Games was amazing. I didn't like it the first time I watched it but now I love it and I've watched it about 3-5 times! The only problem about the movie is that I think they spend too long before they are actually in the Hunger Games. I personally think they should of spent more of the movie with the fighting and things, because i had to skip it because I got a bit bored.
  86. Nov 29, 2013
  87. Nov 28, 2013
    Ok; honestly, I didn't see this originally because it didn't look interesting to me. But everyone hyped it up, and now with all the "catching fire" buzz I decided to check out the first one to see if I was wrong. The 6 rating is to be fair to the actors, who did a great job with a ridiculous script. The premise of the movie is unbelievable, while the parallels with reality are too subtleOk; honestly, I didn't see this originally because it didn't look interesting to me. But everyone hyped it up, and now with all the "catching fire" buzz I decided to check out the first one to see if I was wrong. The 6 rating is to be fair to the actors, who did a great job with a ridiculous script. The premise of the movie is unbelievable, while the parallels with reality are too subtle and underdeveloped. It is like half action movie, half Alice in Wonderland (the strange Tim Burton one), and it doesn't work-- at least, not for me. I have heard the books are better; well that is usually true, but if the book is based on the same premise-- a futuristic society hosting gladiator events between children --I would probably find it equally ridiculous. Expand
  88. Nov 28, 2013
    Despite not really enjoying this film, I am still going to give it a slightly positive rating. My reasoning for this is that it is actually a decent film, however my opinion on it has been altered as I read the books first. The books has in depth politics and lots of violence and excitement. The film left a lot of the politics and violence out to make it watchable for the younger ages,Despite not really enjoying this film, I am still going to give it a slightly positive rating. My reasoning for this is that it is actually a decent film, however my opinion on it has been altered as I read the books first. The books has in depth politics and lots of violence and excitement. The film left a lot of the politics and violence out to make it watchable for the younger ages, which subsequently created a cheesy, not brilliantly written film. If they had 'juiced it up' a bit and made it a 15, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
    I would recommend this film if you have not read the book, if you have steer clear of it.
  89. Nov 27, 2013
    Good acting, interesting production design, commendable themes and a racy screenplay makes Hunger Games the big budget fantasy precedent for this decade. The one and only thing that mars this otherwise engagingly well made blockbuster is its cinematography with its unnecessary and excessive use of the shaky/handheld cam effect which more than anything robs the fine production design of its value.
  90. Nov 23, 2013
    "The Hunger Games" is ferociously intense and thrilling. It's powerfully acted, thought-provoking and faithful to the novel. So prepare yourselves, because you're gonna have a hell of a ride. I do hope "Catching Fire" would turn out just like this one, or hopefully even better.
  91. Nov 21, 2013
    A cliché, predictable, boring, eventless and poorly presented movie. It borrows age-old tricks from video games and does them poorly. Absolutely nothing to see here.
  92. Nov 20, 2013
    Overall, I enjoyed the Hunger Games. It was interesting and didn’t mess up the story. However, the story itself is not really interesting but hopefully the second one will be better. While the Hunger Games is a great film adaptation of a book, it is by no means a great film.
  93. Nov 19, 2013
    Poor movie. It should have been more than one part per book. There was no character development at all and bad casting. There were numerous mistakes in the movie aswell as taking one idea from the book and basing the entire population of the capitol on it. Not only that, but it's being completely marketed for the 8-12 crowd, with action figures and card games. The cast was horrible. ThePoor movie. It should have been more than one part per book. There was no character development at all and bad casting. There were numerous mistakes in the movie aswell as taking one idea from the book and basing the entire population of the capitol on it. Not only that, but it's being completely marketed for the 8-12 crowd, with action figures and card games. The cast was horrible. The 17 year old gale was played by 22 year old Liam Hemsworth, and 16 year old Katniss by 22 year old Jennifer Lawrence. You know a high hyped movie was bad when it's already on netflix. Hopefully they don't screw up Catching fire, and the casting looks not that bad. Expand
  94. Nov 18, 2013
    There are scenes that left me feeling confused because of its jumpiness, but for a book adaptation, this first installment of Suzanne Collins' great series is more than one could've asked for. Lawrence is the best choice for Katniss, and she does it excellently. Even for someone who hasn't read the book, I don't think there will be too many confusions because the movie manages to keep theThere are scenes that left me feeling confused because of its jumpiness, but for a book adaptation, this first installment of Suzanne Collins' great series is more than one could've asked for. Lawrence is the best choice for Katniss, and she does it excellently. Even for someone who hasn't read the book, I don't think there will be too many confusions because the movie manages to keep the story both complex and simple at the same time. It's been a long time since I enjoy a movie with female heroine and seems like Jennifer Lawrence is truly destined to be the actress of her generation. Expand
  95. Nov 17, 2013
    An excellent adaptation, probably one of the best I've seen. Jennifer Lawrence's potrayal of Katniss is spot on; it's her performance that carries the whole movie (but of course, the supporting cast is also very talented). Sure, some parts from the book didn't make it to the movie, but overall it's very faithful to the source material. Gary Ross's direction feels kind of raw andAn excellent adaptation, probably one of the best I've seen. Jennifer Lawrence's potrayal of Katniss is spot on; it's her performance that carries the whole movie (but of course, the supporting cast is also very talented). Sure, some parts from the book didn't make it to the movie, but overall it's very faithful to the source material. Gary Ross's direction feels kind of raw and fast-paced, but that's in a good way: unlike others, I really loved the shaky camera movements. Overall, The Hunger Games was a huge surprise for me. I thought it was going to be another crappy adaptation like Twilight but Gary Ross proved me wrong. And thank God for that. Expand
  96. Nov 8, 2013
    I expected more of this movie.
    But it is still a great movie.
    I hope Catching Fire is as great or better than The Hunger Games.
    That is all there is to say.
    Sorry, no spoilers.
  97. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Welcome! We salute your courage and your sacrifice and we wish you Happy Hunger Games!" President Snow

Time and space is very well established within the first five minutes of the film. We are in Panem, a future version of North American which is divided into a series of districts (consisting of poor people put under oppressive rule the security force resembles the policemen in George Lucas' THX 1138) and a wealthy city known as The Capitol (which is in control over the districts). Each year, two young members of every district are chosen to fight to the death (on live television) in an arena until there is only one of them left. The reason? Is there any? They say this is some kind of a tribute in order to maintain peace in Panem. President Snow says that hope is the true reason behind the Hunger Games ("Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear."). I don't even think there is a reason.

Half of the film takes place in an arena filled with video cameras that made me think of The Truman Show and I was afraid of the fact that it might feel repetitive. However, this isn't the case here. Gary Ross does a good job and I found his shaky camera technique perfect for the kind of action that takes place in the movie. He manages to make the film look brutal and violent even though its PG-13 rating. Seeing a young man holding a bloodied brick in his hand while another contender is lying dead at his feet is enough to make you think that you have actually seen a bloodbath.

Another strong element is the wonderful cast consisting of some of the best actors in Hollywood today. Donald Sutherland and Wes Bentley make perfect use of their limited on-screen time while Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones give charming and funny performances as two talk-show hosts. Elizabeth Banks' Effie Trinket, a symbol of Panem's aristocracy shares some really funny moments with former Hunger Games winner Haymitch Abernathy (another great performance from Woody Harrelson).

Effie's role throughout the movie is not as big as I thought I would be but her presence is extremely important. She really stands out in the "reaping" scene where all the other characters (the inhabitants of District 12) are dressed in simple gray-colored clothes to symbolize their lack of options, the poverty and the constant hunger while Effie Trinket looks like a strange mixture of the Pink Panther and Tinker Bell. You might think that she is just a crazy, spoiled, luxury-loving person but the entire high society seems to be dressed like her. They're all some sort of clowns with strange haircuts and expensive clothes which make them look ridiculously unnatural. I quite liked the contrast between the social classes. The aristocrats' lives are superficial and they do not seem to care or even be aware of how difficult the lives of the people who live in the Districts really are.

The supporting cast is terrific but it is actually Jennifer Lawrence who shines here more than ever and gives birth to one of the greatest movie heroines of the 21st century. When her little sister is chosen for the Hunger Games, Katniss, she does the right and selfless thing and volunteers herself as tribute. By doing that, she loses everything (including a potential relationship with Liam Hemsworth's Gale Hawthorne with whom she shares her disgust towards the Hunger Games) but somehow it feels that she hasn't anything to lose. Fighting for her loved ones (her little sister and even her irresponsible mother) becomes her goal and she has to survive no matter how. She is beautiful, intelligent, skillful and strong-willed and by the time she enters the arena you'll be rooting for her like crazy.

On the other hand, Peeta (the other tribute from District 12, played by Josh Hutcherson) is going through different emotions throughout the film from fear and the certainty of his own death to love and the will to sacrifice. He doesn't want the game to change him, he sometimes looks like he does not know exactly if he is doing the right thing and I can honestly say that there is a bit of Peeta in all of us. Both he and Katniss become characters you come to care about. And that is because of the acting, the direction, the captivating action scenes and the smart script.

From star-ships and trains, to CGI creatures, the visual effects are very impressive. There is particularly one scene that I found phenomenal in which Katniss tries to escape a forest fire started by the game makers, the ones who pull the strings and make the game turn out the way they want it to be without feeling any remorse and having no concern for consequences.

But in the end, I think that the big question is "Would you do it?". Would you be able to adapt to survive, to hunt and kill other human beings just like you? What about watching a televised blood-fest like the Hunger Games? I just hope that our future is a lot brighter than that.
  98. Oct 25, 2013
    'The Hunger Games' may suffer from a slightly underwhelming main cast (with exception of the stunning Jennifer Lawrence), but it redeems itself through the use of a well-written script, visually stunning effects, well-directed acting, and an intriguing premise.
  99. Oct 23, 2013
    Flat characterisation and story development with juvenile depictions of the brutal subject it was approaching. Such was this, that the costume and set design were very much bloated. The romance is too focused and seems less keen on exploring the themes of creating a society based on the treatment of competition between young people by killing each other. First and foremost, you didn't haveFlat characterisation and story development with juvenile depictions of the brutal subject it was approaching. Such was this, that the costume and set design were very much bloated. The romance is too focused and seems less keen on exploring the themes of creating a society based on the treatment of competition between young people by killing each other. First and foremost, you didn't have to see the film to know how it ended. A feeling that that was how it was going to end was illustrated under the unconvincing panic of its main protagonists who would miraculously appear in the sequel. Seeing as how I had never read the books, I felt as if was some kind of condescending response to those who genuinely wanted to see the film but had never read the books. Expand
  100. Oct 21, 2013
    To be honest, I avoid this movie thinking it was going to be the next Twilight. Fortunately that is not the case. I have not read the books, nor do I care to so, so I don't have to care if it is as good as the source or not. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie allot more than I would care to admit publicly.

But I do have my gripes too: 1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were

But I do have my gripes too:

1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were believable practical gore effects too expensive? Seriously, the cinematography was terrible, at least for most of the action sequences. I almost felt like the camera man was having seizures everytime he got excited.
    2) The buildup took far too long and really did not do that great a job developing the characters. At least none of the side characters. The main character were OK but could have been better.
    3) Far too many conveniences, the narrative does stray from believability at times.

Overall:
    Even though it is a clear western copy and paste watered down version of Battle Royale, it's still allot of fun and some great performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson. It wasn't the "chick-flick" I thought it was going to be.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Nov 20, 2015
    It is a thrilling, intelligent, deeply-felt movie that does not play by the typical rules of franchise building in modern Hollywood.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Nov 20, 2015
    Ultimately, Ross hasn’t just successfully mounted an adaptation of a hot literary property, or even launched a film series that earns the right to be a franchise. He’s produced an engaging, thoughtful, populist piece of entertainment that transcends gender, genre or source material.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Nov 20, 2015
    Despite its well-worn ideas and themes, Gary Ross’s provocative, pulse-surgingly tense adaptation couldn’t feel fresher, or timelier.