Lionsgate | Release Date: March 23, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1782 Ratings
1,237
WATCH NOW
akino3May 30, 2017
Beautiful, not without ugly. Lively, not without deadly. Brutal, not without tender.. The hunger games depicts a so well-balanced picture of life itself. And it is shocking. How can you be so civilized and yet so savage? That's what human isBeautiful, not without ugly. Lively, not without deadly. Brutal, not without tender.. The hunger games depicts a so well-balanced picture of life itself. And it is shocking. How can you be so civilized and yet so savage? That's what human is after all, isn't it? Jennifer Lawrence acting so well here, she owns the story and explodes the emotions. Overall a very well done sci-fi here, that comes not without some heavy burden on the shoulders of humanity. I only take one point off for the costume and makeup department on the rich. I mean, what the hell was that about? I hated it. Although it may be a metaphor of the rich looking more and more like a bunch of clowns. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 27, 2017
A great action packed story. The story and effects do the story justice. It was very good after it started, because the start was awkward. It was a great story.
HPFANBOY1237Apr 9, 2017
The Hunger Games is an emotionally driven and captivating film from start to finish, even though the directing is a bit dull and distracting. A must see!
ZerpnosMar 16, 2017
Kitabı okumadım, filmi de pek izlemeyi düşünmüyordum. Sonradan bir açıp bakayım dedim, zamanı güzel harcadığım bir film oldu. Senaryo olarak orta dereceli bir senaryosu var. Kitabını okuyanlar ve hayranı olanlar tarafından linç edilebilirimKitabı okumadım, filmi de pek izlemeyi düşünmüyordum. Sonradan bir açıp bakayım dedim, zamanı güzel harcadığım bir film oldu. Senaryo olarak orta dereceli bir senaryosu var. Kitabını okuyanlar ve hayranı olanlar tarafından linç edilebilirim belki. Diğer filmleri için meraklanıyorum, onların daha güzel konusu varmış gibi duruyor. İzledikçe göreceğiz bakalım. İyi bir film izleyin. Expand
Jk9785Feb 27, 2017
Aside from headache-inducing shaky camera techniques, The Hunger Games is a good film. Good story, good acting, decent acting, and a good setup for its far superior sequel.
FreedomFightersDec 20, 2016
Starting the 2012 reviews a little far in, are we? Unfortunately, starting with 2012 and moving forward, I haven't seen as many movies as I would like to. I'm hoping to change that, but let's review what I have seen, shall we? I'll be theStarting the 2012 reviews a little far in, are we? Unfortunately, starting with 2012 and moving forward, I haven't seen as many movies as I would like to. I'm hoping to change that, but let's review what I have seen, shall we? I'll be the first to point out that I didn't read "The Hunger Games." I had no idea what the book was about when I went to see the film (I only saw it because my mom loved the books and the trailers looked good). I can safely say that the film delivered. Wonderfully acted (especially by Jennifer Lawrence) and action-packed while still featuring an interesting story and great characters, "The Hunger Games" manages to avoid falling into "YA no man's land" like many of the films "inspired" by "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" that we've seen throughout the 2010s. Some may disagree with me giving it a score this high, but I thoroughly enjoyed "The Hunger Games" from start to finish and I think it's definitely worth a look. Expand
sjultiDec 6, 2016
I love this movie the acting is a bit off on this one but it's the most original out of the four movies the premise is so interesting and it pays off, Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence are great.
Iky009Nov 27, 2016
Hunger Games is a film of those who trap the spectator from beginning to end, being able to be faithful to its source with very convincing performances and fast pace
Abbylynn99Nov 1, 2016
Why The Hunger Games?
Why The Hunger Games?
The Hunger Games is based on the books that Suzanne Collins wrote. The world of Panem is where this movie takes place. Panem has 12 Districts, all who have to provide the Capital with a resource. Such as District 12 supplies the Capital with coal, District 5 with power to all the districts and the Capital, and District 7 with lumber. Every year all the districts have to send one boy and one girl, from the ages 12 to 18, to the Capital to fight to the death till only one remains. This act of cruelty is to keep all the districts from fighting one another, or worse, fighting the capital. After this one victor remains he/she goes back to their district to live the rest of their life in peace and riches. This is called The Hunger Games.

Entertaining
Kept dozing off in the middle of the movie and couldn’t stay focused.
Most parts of the movie were really good but had more down parts to it.
Some parts of the movie could have been better but it was still really good.
Kept me fully entertained and I didn’t want the movie to end.

Evidence: I give this movie a 4/4 for entertainment. This movie keeps you on your toes through the whole movie and I never got bored with it. When you think things are going to slow down they don’t. This movie is a very exciting movie. It’s exciting because you never know what’s around the corner. Some of the things that happen, you don’t realize it’s going to happen.

Did the actors work good together
The actors didn’t work well together and could have done a lot better.
Some actors worked well together and all the others didn’t.
Only a few of the actors didn’t work well together.
All the actors made the movie come together and worked excellent together.

Evidence: I gave the actors a 4/4. I believe that the actors worked well together. When you think about who should act in this movie, you don’t think of any other actors that could have filled that roll. All the actors worked very well together and I liked the chemistry that all the actors had together. It also helps that the actors have had other jobs before this one so they are experienced. The best actor from this movie, in my opinion, is Katniss ( Jennifer Lawrence ). She follows her role very well compared to the book.

Length of the movie
It was to short or long.
It was to short or long but the movie was okay.
It could have been longer or shorter but was a good length.
It was just the right length.

Evidence: I give the length of the movie a 3/4. The length of the movie was okay. I think they could have made it longer if they wanted too but it was a good length. If it would have been longer it could have made it boring. Movies are usually 2 hours long so the movie fits into that range, but with everything going on in this movie I feel like it could have been longer. If they would have made it a shorter movie I feel like they would have left things out and it would have ended up being a bad movie.
Was the movie related to the book
The movie was nothing like the book.
Left out or added a lot of things that weren’t in the book.
Only left out or added a few things to the movie.
The movie followed the book exactly.

Evidence: I gave this movie a 3/4 for following the book. This movie did really well with sticking to the movie. There was some little thing left out of the movie that were in the book, like the cat in the movie was a different color than the cat in the book. They also left out a part that was in the book but wasn’t in the movie, it was when Katniss went into the woods to her father’s cabin. Some of these things are little things but you can tell if you pay attention.

How well did you like the movie 1 2 3 4 I didn’t like this movie at all. It was an okay movie. It was a good movie but not my favorite. It is my favorite movie. Evidence: I gave this movie a 4/4 for how well I liked the movie. This movie is one of my favorite movies. It has a lot of action in it which makes it fun. It has a little love story which makes it a nice couples movie. It is overall a great movie to watch with friends and family. Overall I give this movie a 3/4 . This movie is one of my favorite movies and I really feel like it should get this rating. The actors are good together, the overall time of the movie is good, and followed the book pretty well.
gameguardian21Sep 26, 2016
The hunger games is not a bad movie, but it's just not for me. To me, it's just like twilight, but with more action, and a ton of shaky, and less vampires.
DavidTejadaSep 11, 2016
Em.... It was OK, if you watch The Hunger Games for the first time, you won't be able to follow and understand the story very much. But don't you worry, because it is fun and with special live-actions.
reviewfrom19842Aug 10, 2016
Pretty good movie even know it has a lot of cons but hads more pros for it to be and good movie............................................................
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
A great start to the Hunger Games movies. Great performances, effects and action. The cinematography could have been smoother, but I understand it was probably to censor some of the gory scenes for younger audience members.
mrjurrianvrietApr 27, 2016
This is a movie like we've never seen before. The plot is great. The cast is awesome, I mean come on it's Jennifer Lawrence we're talking about!
/////
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
A refreshingly grim and realistic premise for an American film meant for teens. Disney it ain't and that's a strength. The weakness? Way, way too much fidelity to the source material. The first hour and a half is ponderous and keeps repeatingA refreshingly grim and realistic premise for an American film meant for teens. Disney it ain't and that's a strength. The weakness? Way, way too much fidelity to the source material. The first hour and a half is ponderous and keeps repeating plot and character points that may have been useful in the novel, but really drag the movie down at least when it pertains to the villainous characters. They are portrayed without an ounce of balance or empathy! As an artistic choice, it's fine, but then someone should have taken some liberties with the script to assure that we weren't treated to endless scenes of Tucci and company being wretched and evil. It got old very quickly. Casting was mostly well done. Rue worked for me and I believe was a true artistic choice especially in Katniss' final acts for her. Lawrence was much, much better in this role than in anything she has done before. It's the first time I've seen her reveal herself in her acting. She worked for me and the nuances of the premise made me feel like I was not watching something put out there to make the kids "feel empowered" which is 90% of teen film. To be commended. Expand
SpangleMar 11, 2016
Oh yay a terrible summer blockbuster. Stupid, insipid, generic, and an all-around disaster, it perplexes me how The Hunger Games was well received. Classic young adult nonsense featuring every action movie cliche in the history of humanity,Oh yay a terrible summer blockbuster. Stupid, insipid, generic, and an all-around disaster, it perplexes me how The Hunger Games was well received. Classic young adult nonsense featuring every action movie cliche in the history of humanity, the film occasionally pretends to show how crazy we are for loving violence and how fake television is, yet it is entirely fake itself by trying to manipulate the audience at every turn. Jennifer Lawrence is fine and Josh Hutcherson is okay, but Liam Hemsworth's acting is a joke. Every single plot turn is telegraphed and made so abundantly clear that somebody could be not watching the movie, walk in in the middle of it, and guess how it will turn out by one glance at the screen. The direction is uninspired, the film is overlong and packed to the brim with filler. Honesty, much of the beginning drags on for too long. My personal favorite part was where Woody Harrelson's character gives Jennifer Lawrence advice and she promptly ignores it. The CGI in the film is horrendous and almost comical. At one point, they approach the capital and Hutcherson's character remarks something along the lines of it, "Wow look at it" and all I could think of was changing it to say, "Wow, look at it, a CGi city in the mountains". That is how bad the CGI is. It looks like everything was overexposed. The costume design is beyond peculiar with everyone wearing bizarre get ups and weirdo hairdos. I honestly have no idea why this was done. The premise on its own is idiotic. Sacrificing 12-18 year olds to be killed every year to punish them for rebelling? Yeah, that's certainly very likely. I like dystopian ideas as much as the next guy, but let's be real here. The character development is awful, matching up with the bad script that really has a blast at giving forced exposition through any means necessary. It wants to try and pretend to develop these characters, so it tosses in a few nonsense flashback sequences that add nothing to the overall film. Lucky us.

One of the few redeeming factors here is the interesting world it designed. Though I think the premise is dumb, the world itself is compelling enough to make me curious how it all turns out in the end. Plus, the action is pretty well shot and the thrills the film produces are satisfying enough, even if they are entirely derivative. The film looks good enough on the whole to make me accept its many flaws to the point that I did not entirely hate the movie, but it is quite bad. Overall, The Hunger Games truly made me hunger for a better film.
mcfryFeb 29, 2016
The first third of Hunger Games surprised me genuinely, and it kept its hold on me. I had not expected that this fantasy would convey deep emotion. That, and the great actors, unique soundtrack and consequent art design add a lot to a notThe first third of Hunger Games surprised me genuinely, and it kept its hold on me. I had not expected that this fantasy would convey deep emotion. That, and the great actors, unique soundtrack and consequent art design add a lot to a not quite outworn scenario. I highly enjoyed the beauty and the quality of the film (and also, the overdone references to other genre movies will amuse for some time to come).

Sadly, when the fighting starts, the plot loses important nuances, although the story still motivated me enough to hold out to the end. An accomplishment, but the duration is probably just too long - something I usually don't say because I like a good epic. But in this case, weaknesses of an old plot recipe eat up almost the rest of the movie. That's why I gave 7 - after a captivating start and some precious sequences after that.
JarodyFeb 10, 2016
The hunger games is the first film in the book to film adaptation. There are great things about this movie, like the action and how it brings to life what you imagine the hunger games to be. It also has a great tone of realism as well asThe hunger games is the first film in the book to film adaptation. There are great things about this movie, like the action and how it brings to life what you imagine the hunger games to be. It also has a great tone of realism as well as fantastic acting. Despite this, there are notable problems with this movie. The character development isn't great, and the shaky cam is very frustrating to watch. Continuing with the bad points, there was a lack of communication between the characters and some scenes can be very boring. Altogether the hunger games is quite good and a good opening to the hg series so............Good luck seeing this on amazon. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: It's a fantastic adaptation of the book that stays true to the excitement and futuristic society - like the pages you read have come to life. It's beautifully shot, gritty and exciting and (like the book) manages to retainWHAT I LIKED: It's a fantastic adaptation of the book that stays true to the excitement and futuristic society - like the pages you read have come to life. It's beautifully shot, gritty and exciting and (like the book) manages to retain interest throughout. This is largely thanks to Jennifer Lawrence who does such an excellent job of bringing Katniss to life.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It feels a little rushed, and maybe it stays too true to the book to be imaginative?
VERDICT: True Hunger Games fans will be impressed. This is as gripping and visual as the books were - that's a big achievement.
NikitaBrandtJan 3, 2016
This is not a successful start of a series of films from the perspective of the director's work. But surely we must pay tribute to the actors, writer (Susan Collins) and set decorator.
EpicLadySpongeJan 3, 2016
It's only a matter of time before this film received the score it should deserve for now. It totally deserve the 7 score for at least now. It'll rise sooner or later.
gdiego135Dec 4, 2015
Unlike my reviews for mockingjay part 1 and 2, this movie is actually really good, and makes you fall in love with the characters, at times make you cry. I highly recommend watching this great film.
CineAutoctonoDec 2, 2015
From book to film , and the fact the fact , the first delivery is the beginning of an adventure without contemplation , and left three reasons for this, first , had not read the book but pleased his story has been amazing , Second The historyFrom book to film , and the fact the fact , the first delivery is the beginning of an adventure without contemplation , and left three reasons for this, first , had not read the book but pleased his story has been amazing , Second The history which Katniss Everdeen volunteered to protect her sister Prim, which died in the last delivery but this character will be in our thoughts , her courage to play to survive, and so will live the rest of the story . Expand
SEROJDec 2, 2015
This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen! Typical plot, pathetic story, horrible acting and decent action! I haven't read the books but i bet they can't be worse than this garbage i watched!
teddy1984ltNov 27, 2015
Great movie really liked it I'm glad there are going to be sequels because I really want to know where it's going to go. There's one death it the movie that is one of the saddest deaths in a movie I have ever seen.
dollarhydeNov 21, 2015
Hollywood PG-13 version of ''Battle Royale'' full of meaningless dialogues, uninteresting characters in ridiculous costumes and a script so bad it's only comparable to "Twilight".
WrongKlenaNov 16, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apesar de ser meio fiel o filme tem uma movimentação de câmeras péssima, uma maior visibilidade do casal falso Peeta e Katniss não bate com a relatada no livro, até mesmo o livro é mais pesado em questões de lutas, que são relatadas como sangrentas, oque não ocorreu no filme. O filme agrada, mas não dá imersão total aos telespectadores na história. Expand
MovieFan123Sep 21, 2015
When I originally saw The Hunger Games, I was wowed. Beautiful effects and strong acting. However, after recently re watching it I realized there were more problems than meet the eye. The Hunger Games is directed by Gary Ross and staresWhen I originally saw The Hunger Games, I was wowed. Beautiful effects and strong acting. However, after recently re watching it I realized there were more problems than meet the eye. The Hunger Games is directed by Gary Ross and stares Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. Let's start with the bad. After watching the sequels I realize (and don't hate me for this) Jennifer Lawrence is just not giving as strong a performance as in later films. It's perfectly fine but I wish she gave us a more layered performance in general. Also, there is little development of the supporting characters. We get there name, a general backstory but that's it. Also the main problem in this film is: Shaky Cam. This film's battle scenes have so much shaky cam at some points it's extremely hard to see what's going on. But of course there are good parts. The story is obviously excellent. Woody Harrelson gives a great performance, a mentor who seems crazy but is actually a man who has just lost his way. The visuals are spectacular and there are some true moments of emotion throughout this film. The capitol is beautifully designed with each building going beyond your wildest imaginations. Every possibly cheesy moment in the book is done right for the most part. Overall despite some problems with character development and shaky cam The Hunger Games is well- written well done adaption that opens the series up properly despite not being as good as Catching Fire. This is why I give it a 7/10. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 25, 2015
"The Hunger Games" is probably one of the very few movies that doesn't get swept over by the teenage fad curse, with a huge thanks to excellent performances from Jennifer Lawrence.
xDaudexAug 14, 2015
Pros:
Switches traditional gender roles
World building Believable story Cons: Some sections of the story seem rushed, though this is a typical issue when converting a book to a movie The amount of people left at any given time is not
Pros:
Switches traditional gender roles
World building
Believable story

Cons:
The amount of people left at any given time is not stated as often as it should
Not many of the contestants other than the main ones had any back story