7.0

1. Nov 7, 2012
    Never read the books and never will. Only watched this because my dad bought it for my sister. That being said, It was actually pretty good. Plenty of action, well acted, and it was entertaining. I wouldn't mind sitting through the sequel.
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    It's too bad a film of such caliber and importance could have such piss-poor cinematography. I am actually a little mad at the cinematographer for ruining a perfect movie for fans of the series and movie-goers alike who like to watch great book-to-screen adaptations pay off. The Hunger Games did pay off in the end, thanks to a great cast headed by the beautiful Ms. Lawrence, as well asIt's too bad a film of such caliber and importance could have such piss-poor cinematography. I am actually a little mad at the cinematographer for ruining a perfect movie for fans of the series and movie-goers alike who like to watch great book-to-screen adaptations pay off. The Hunger Games did pay off in the end, thanks to a great cast headed by the beautiful Ms. Lawrence, as well as good action and a bit of romance between the star-crossed lovers. As a reader of this series, I was disappointed that the movie didn't portray the violence the book encapsulated. I realize that the target audience was 12-14 year olds who have read the series, but I felt as if the PG-13 rating didn't do the movie justice. An R-rated version of the film would probably show what the book really wanted to divulge in terms of what really went in in that arena. Expand
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    The constant comparisons to the novel from which it came are destined to tear down this film--but that's just not fair, it's really quite remarkable. Jennifer Lawrence and her fellow cast members bring this extraordinary tale to life on-screen.
  4. Mar 29, 2012
    In this version of the future, TV has extended reality competition to the ultimate: kids between 13-18 are selected to fight to the death. Before the games begin, they visit the dramatically-modern capital city, where they're groomed for TV and prepped for the fight. Jennifer Lawrence soaks up most of the screen time as a serious, determined young woman who seems destined to dominate theIn this version of the future, TV has extended reality competition to the ultimate: kids between 13-18 are selected to fight to the death. Before the games begin, they visit the dramatically-modern capital city, where they're groomed for TV and prepped for the fight. Jennifer Lawrence soaks up most of the screen time as a serious, determined young woman who seems destined to dominate the pack. Once the match begins, her home-grown survival skills come to play. The action is sporadic with all the killings dispatched quickly and painlessly (for the PG-13 rating). The art direction is colorful and the drama unfolds with solid zeal. Fans of the books will probably appreciate the film more. I found it satisfying without being special. Expand
  5. Oct 26, 2012
    Sad, thought-provoking, deep, emotional, and downright depressing these are the words I would use to describe The Hunger Games. I've never read the book, but this movie has made me want to. It's an absolutely emotional film. The characters are absolutely extremely well done. So much so in fact that I wanted to know more and more about them, including the minor and villain characters. If ISad, thought-provoking, deep, emotional, and downright depressing these are the words I would use to describe The Hunger Games. I've never read the book, but this movie has made me want to. It's an absolutely emotional film. The characters are absolutely extremely well done. So much so in fact that I wanted to know more and more about them, including the minor and villain characters. If I had one complaint it would be that some scenes aren't as detailed as they should be. A problem I believe they had because they couldn't fit all the details from the book into the movie. This is a movie I do recommend, just keep in mind it's a pretty brutal film. Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2012
    The Hunger Games is a pretty good film but I think if it took more risks and didn't stick to a safe script it could have been excellent. Jennifer Lawrence put on a really good performance and the movie seem to shine around her. I am looking forward to the next chapter of The Hunger Games
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Smart, sophisticated, and toting an exceedingly superb lead performance, "The Hunger Games" not only nails expectations - it exceeds them.
  8. Nov 5, 2012
    Feels kind of like a giant game of paintball. The setting is convoluted and the characters go undeveloped. I want to call it a missed opportunity, but I couldn't tell you what I think that opportunity is.
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    The Hunger Games was everything I expected, but not more than that. I am a huge fan of the series, having read all the books months ago, but I've avoided the movie until all the hype died down, so that I could give an honest opinion, and here it is. The film was terrific, one of the best adaptation of a book I've read. Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely perfect as Katniss and if she doesn'tThe Hunger Games was everything I expected, but not more than that. I am a huge fan of the series, having read all the books months ago, but I've avoided the movie until all the hype died down, so that I could give an honest opinion, and here it is. The film was terrific, one of the best adaptation of a book I've read. Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely perfect as Katniss and if she doesn't get a ton of awards for the role, there is no justice in Hollywood. That's the good news, however the movie was far from perfect. Friends who went with me and had never read the books, found it to be slow, and didn't understand certain things. At times, I could see their point. Several major things were rushed or just left out of the film. This led to some confusion, and then there's Peeta. I love Josh Hutcherson and thought he was terrific, but the portrayal of Peeta wasn't accurate. He was nowhere near as likeable as he is in the books and he comes off looking like kind of a The end of the games was also problematic, as they changed a key point that I thought was pivotal going into Catching Fire. It will be interesting to see what they do to fix that before the next film. Overall I loved the movie and thought it was awesome, but if you didn't read the books, you might be a little confused by parts of it and see it as slow. Parts of the film that dragged on were explained through thoughts in Katniss's head during the book. Without knowing what was going on at those points, I could see how some audience members may have been bored with it. The movie and especially the books live up to all the hype and are well worth your time, The Hunger Games is something you are not going to want to miss. Expand
  10. Apr 29, 2013
    A fun adventure movie that can be hard for some to take. Good performances and a solid script makes The Hunger Games a fun watch that makes you want to see the sequel.
  11. Apr 1, 2012
    Hands down the best movie in recent memory. Everything about it was exquisite. A wickedly horrid but interesting story told magnificently. Compelling on every level. The tone and aura of the film were perfection.
  12. Apr 12, 2014
    I give this rating 4/10 because i watched it to many times they make dumb choices in the movie .
    Grade for hunger games B
    Grade for catching fire D.
  13. Jan 30, 2013
    The Hunger Games is a decent movie taken from a book... A book which in turn takes it's elements from films like Battle Royale and The Running Man. Talk about cyclical! The Hunger Games shines when viewed as a character piece (Jennifer Lawrence's performance is excellent) or as a slight meditation on social greed and the notion of celebrity. That said, the movie has it's faults. TheThe Hunger Games is a decent movie taken from a book... A book which in turn takes it's elements from films like Battle Royale and The Running Man. Talk about cyclical! The Hunger Games shines when viewed as a character piece (Jennifer Lawrence's performance is excellent) or as a slight meditation on social greed and the notion of celebrity. That said, the movie has it's faults. The primary one being the lack of stirring action sequences. The editing and pacing of these scenes when they do arrive are simply unexciting. One thing I will say though is that the violence is tastefully neutered. I have no desire to see young children graphically killed and was mercifully spared from doing so. Ultimately, The Hunger Games was an entertaining movie that I enjoyed. Not nearly as much as Battle Royale, however. Collapse
  14. Mar 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw the movie as two distinct parts - the introduction and every thing leading up to the actual hunger game, and the game itself with the resolution. The first part is very interesting, and the the tension leading up to Katniss's "insertion" into the game is palpable. I was almost jumping out of my seat with anticipation. However, the second part of the film is a complete let-down. Perhaps we've seen too many Survivor & Challenge seasons, but the action is flat and borderline boring. Even though everything is at stake, it doesn't feel that way. The PG-13 rating takes much of the grittiness away from the story. I would have liked to have seen Katniss take part in more than a single killing. She essentially backs into the win.â Expand
  15. Mar 27, 2012
    The Hunger Games is off to a much better start than the Twilight films. The action was exciting, the story was engaging, and all the actors know what they are doing.
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    Let's kick off this review by stating that I haven't read the book(s) this movie is based on. Hence it's all about the movie and not book-to-film translation (before I read the books, anyway).

The idea behind the story is compelling, gruesome and quite horrible. To choose 24 children to fight each other to the death until only one remains, in order to choke 12 Districts under the Capitol's control is something I haven't seen done before.

The Hunger Games, and the way they were presented, was thrilling. The comparison of two different worlds, from far-away Districts to the Capitol, and the way the Games are perceived between the two was brilliant. The preparation of the Tributes for the Games was almost more interesting than the final feat itself, although they balanced it quite nicely.

Most of the Tributes never got all that much time on screen - perhaps to make their deaths seem less important. They had to die, so better not make the audience feel too much for them. The actor performances and characters were well balanced, although the scheming behind the theatrics could have been given more depth. Also, it felt like the creators of the game cheated every now and then, but that's live TV for you; they must make it appealing - in this case by finding ways to control the game.

The visual look of the movie was stunning, between very different worlds, one corporeal and one quite futuristic, all the way to make-up and clothing which finalized the impact of how removed the Capitol truly is from the "real world". It was appalling, in a sense, and you wanted to shake each and every one of those pretentious, naïve, spoiled people. (This is the setting where you can find the social rifts and values of the modern world in a nutshell.)

This film is definitely worth the watch - and I'm eagerly waiting for the sequels and what turns of events they will provide in the already established setting.
  17. Apr 4, 2012
    A cinema viewing of this soft Sci-Fi phenomenon, Jennifer Lawrence is the only impetus for me and the aftermath is unexpectedly satisfactory, with several inevitable grudges, among which is the shakily giddying cinematography, it may intend to be stylish, however one should not stay too much nearer the screen and it is not well-manipulated.

The film is nerve-absorbing in its narrative

The film is nerve-absorbing in its narrative particularly before the game time, the stunning sets and inhabitants tableaux of the rich capitol is better-than-expectedly glistening, but when the children-slaughtering begins, there is deficit in imagination and the SFX mainly falls flat.

The film has already whisked away a TWILIGHT-sega triumph in the North American market, of which the worldwide popularity may fall short, but the sensational trend is irreversible, and as myself has completely sidelined TWILIGHT-sega, THE HUNGER GAMS is on a long run to be conquering an even wider demography (a more maturer one for sure). The performances are pleasantly orchestrated, an Oscar-nominated Jennifer Lawrence does strike a memorable and convincing embodiment of our heroin, imbues her a role-model paradigm for the young generation around her age, she is invincible in nearly all her scenes, grabbing all the attention and only a polychromatic talk-show host spoofer Stanley Tucci could steal some meager thunder from her. Among others, Josh Hutcherson is controversially add some juice to the flavor, I havenâ
  18. Apr 9, 2012
    The Hunger Games is an unforgettable film experience. It features an incredible performance from Jennifer Lawrence and amazing supporting performances from everyone. Gary Ross's direction may be criticized but he really manages to bring you into the story. You feel for the character, you feel pure emotion. The film manages to scare you, manages to make you cry. It never drags and should beThe Hunger Games is an unforgettable film experience. It features an incredible performance from Jennifer Lawrence and amazing supporting performances from everyone. Gary Ross's direction may be criticized but he really manages to bring you into the story. You feel for the character, you feel pure emotion. The film manages to scare you, manages to make you cry. It never drags and should be recognized as one of the best films of 2012. I give this movie 98%. Expand
  19. Dec 5, 2012
    The near perfect adaptation that the book deserved. Jennifer Lawrence shows that she truly is a rising star in Hollywood as she gives a flawless performance as heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Banks is surprising great as Effie, and Stanley Tucci solidifies himself as one of the best character actors around and one of the most underrated actors. The Hunger Games was intense andThe near perfect adaptation that the book deserved. Jennifer Lawrence shows that she truly is a rising star in Hollywood as she gives a flawless performance as heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Banks is surprising great as Effie, and Stanley Tucci solidifies himself as one of the best character actors around and one of the most underrated actors. The Hunger Games was intense and stylish. I loved it! Expand
  20. Feb 7, 2015
    Extremely overrated! There was a lot of hype for this film and I can't believe that so many people were drawn in by this movie. Now we have another mediocre film series based on a novel for teenagers. The best thing about this film is that it spawned the career of Jennifer Lawrence, who has shown off her chops in a lot of better films. I won't be watching another one of these films.
  21. Aug 15, 2013
    It took a second viewing, well over a year after its initial release, to appreciate The Hunger Games a little more than my original thoughts, I didn't hate it, but I was certainly mountains away from liking it. My ongoing problem with book to film adaptations is the unevenness of it all, it boils down to two simple scenarios, either make a carbon copy of the book, page for page, or simplyIt took a second viewing, well over a year after its initial release, to appreciate The Hunger Games a little more than my original thoughts, I didn't hate it, but I was certainly mountains away from liking it. My ongoing problem with book to film adaptations is the unevenness of it all, it boils down to two simple scenarios, either make a carbon copy of the book, page for page, or simply adapt the story and make it a standalone piece, but the film tries to do both and sacrifices things that could have made it a much better film. A riveting and spellbinding first half hour sets us up in a post-apocalyptic universe where we have 12 districts full of those suffering the consequences of a war years before, and then we have the Capitol, full of the rich and powerful, who hold an annual televised games where the contestants, or "tributes" fight to the death and consist of a male and female from each district.
    We are introduced to Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) who reluctantly but lovingly takes the place of her little sister who was originally picked to compete, Jennifer Lawrence brings a distinguished yet hardened approach to the role, her character knows what must be done and will do anything to see it happen, and she also carries quite a skill set as well. She meets Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), the male tribute, and they subsequently form an uneasy alliance in an attempt to survive, because once the games start, only one person shall arise victorious. My biggest problem with the film is how much violence needs to be pushed, but isn't, its subdued and completely backtracking on the point of the film, reaching to a bigger audience, ok, but when a sacrifice like this is made its hard not to feel cheated. There is definitely a severe lack of character development, particularly a young girl who we are really supposed to connect with, but her role in the film is that small we barely have time to blink before she is gone again.
    Redeeming qualities of the film are the performances from the main cast, with a very emotional approach from Lawrence while we also have star talent like Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci. There is also excellent cinematography to enjoy, with a shaky technique used so as we are with Katniss throughout her harrowing journey. Its an enjoyable flick for a commanding first half but a second half that simply doesn't deliver, throwing to many big characters at us who ultimately don't get enough screen time, plus the lack of actual violence is truly frustrating, but decent performances and a worthwhile premise should be enough to see it.
  22. Jul 4, 2012
    I'll make it clear from the start, I regrettably haven't read Suzanne Collins' book series this film (and its inevitable sequels) are based on. I'm still quite able to judge it in cinematic terms, and besides, I would rather not become one of those over-protective readers who take it as a personal insult whenever the slightest change is made to the story for the sake of on-screen narrativeI'll make it clear from the start, I regrettably haven't read Suzanne Collins' book series this film (and its inevitable sequels) are based on. I'm still quite able to judge it in cinematic terms, and besides, I would rather not become one of those over-protective readers who take it as a personal insult whenever the slightest change is made to the story for the sake of on-screen narrative flow. As all good sci-fi does, the film comments on an issue hugely relevant to contemporary society, in this case it's the rapidly increasing extremity and dominance of reality TV. The world of The Hunger Games is a dystopian future ruled by an oppressive, authoritarian government, where every district of Panem (formally North America) are annually forced to submit a teenage boy and girl to compete in a brutal blood sport for the dual purpose of keeping the formally rebellious lower-classes downtrodden, and to keep the rich citizens of the Capitol entertained as the ultimate form of twisted reality TV. The cast of the film are quite superb. Jennifer Lawrence is utterly captivating as the film's heroine Katniss Everdeen, District 12's female competitor, and Josh Hartnett continues to prove himself a fast-rising star as the District's male competitor Peeta Mellark, though both are acted off the screen by newcomer Amandla Stenberg playing an intelligent but younger-than-average games competitor, Rue. The veteran actors playing the adult characters all seem to be having a great deal of fun, from Woody Harrelson's cynical and alcoholic, but good-natured Hunger Games survivor Haymitch, the porcelain-doll-like games promoter Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks), eccentric stylist Cinna (Lenny Kravitz) and especially Stanly Tucci's batty blue-haired TV host Caesar Flickerman. The only one who doesn't appear to be having a good time is Donald Sutherland, playing President Snow, though to be fair he's only a very minor character in this installment. and the filmmakers probably just wanted to get a big name in early to play a character who becomes (so I'm told) far more essential in the sequels. The games themselves are extremely well-realised - after the back-story to this particularly pessimistic vision of the future is established and the characters introduced, we are plunged into a something that is a cross between Battle Royale and Deliverance. When I first heard about the film and its teen-friendly certificate, I thought it would be limiting to the film tackling its exceptionally dark subject matter. Quite the contrary - a lower certification forces director Gary Ross and cinematographer Tom Stern to get creative. The action is thrilling, and what happens to the young competitors is in many ways more horrifying and visceral when it is slightly obscured by clever editing or if it happens just off-screen - your own imagination fills in the gaps and these fights don't lose any impact. I do however question why you're not allowed to show blood on weapons in a 12A certificated film, yet you can show a young boy's neck being broken and the two lead characters covered in blood at the film's finale. The story sucks you in and keeps you engaged throughout, though the run-time is a little gruelling, and the final act is pretty generic. The film cleverly addresses powerful and timeless themes of freedom and morality, coming of age and loss of innocence, and serves as a warning against technological dependence. While all these themes are all effectively discussed in the film, I still see potential to expand on them in the sequels, where these thematic seeds will really have the opportunity to bloom. I really was pleasantly surprised by The Hunger Games - I expected little more than a sub-par Battle Royale, but through a combination of stunning visuals, great performances, and mature discussion of complex thematic material, it stands on its own terms, and can be enjoyed by the teen audience it was marketed at and adults alike. I look forward to seeing the uncut version of the film, that is yet to be released in the UK, once it is released on DVD, and see just how much the film is changed. Whether the next instalment of the series has the same impact without the artistic talent and energy of director Gary Ross, who has now dropped out, remains to be seen... Expand
  23. Jul 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rae Dolly lives in the Ozarks with an incapacitated mother and two younger siblings, a boy and a girl. Since mom is a cipher, and dad, gone missing, going on three weeks, Rae becomes the de facto head of the household; the surrogate parent, who at 17, has no time for games. It's hillbilly against hillbilly. Nobody claims to know the whereabouts of Rae's father, quote unquote. Also on her plate, Rae fights foreclosure on the family abode. The bail bondsman has come to collect. Her neighbors, former moonshiners-turned-crystal meth producers, don't know who the real enemy is. They kill their own kind; they'll even kill Rae, if she gets too close. In the interim, the army dreamer is the family's sole provider, the only one man enough to put food on the table. Hardly the squeamish type, Rae takes dead aim on a squirrel, but only because it's too late in the day for deer. That's where a certain girl of the future acquires her way with the bow and arrow. The gravitas, the grit; it's in the blood. Rae skins the critter, and with the boy's help. removes its innards. Flinching isn't permitted. But Rae has her limits, though. She cracks, finally, when it's time to saw off her daddy's hands. Somebody else wields the chainsaw, while Rae holds the body over water, in the lake where his killers dumped him. By proving that her father is dead, she gets to keep the house. The family stays intact. As a result, Rae cancels her military plans, and never leaves the Ozarks. As a result, future generations are doomed. Since the Missouri outback, the setting for Winter's Bone, could double as Panem's District 12, a coal mining outpost, and because the same actress occupies the cross-generational diegeses of the present and the future, it's not hard to imagine that somewhere down the line, somewhere in the family tree, a Dolly got together with an Everdeen, thereby making Rae an ancestor of Katniss', and correspondingly, the Debra Granik film, a Hunger Games prequel, hypothetically speaking. Viewed in a vacuum, the harsh post-apocalyptical conditions that afflicts District 12, the most impoverished of the Capitol's outlying districts, plays like a travesty, this gross disparity between the haves and have-nots. But by using Winter's Bone as an extrapolative tool, a bigger picture emerges, the narrative alters, where the Panemians are partly to blame for the state they're in. It's no wonder that the insurrection against the Capitol failed. The districts don't respect each other. Class warfare persists still among the tributes, despite the grisly outcome inherent in the yearly televised spectacle, whose death toll, by sheer numbers alone, should unite and align the districts against the Capitol. But that's just not the case. During the testing period, the academy-trained tributes from District 1 give off an aura of superiority over their competition, especially Peeta, whose poor archery skills, Katniss warns, makes him look weak, and an easy target for the alpha kids. It's only when the boy throws a metal ball into an arrow rack does he gain a measure of respect from his opponents. Already emasculated by his mother, who back home, lets Peeta know that she's rooting for Katniss, perhaps, leads to the ultimate betrayal, when he forms a coalition on the playing field with the District 1 tributes against his partner, which nearly results in death by arrow, as the girl's combatants fire at will towards the tree which tenuously harbors her. Earlier in the film, in a pre-game interview, Peeta announces his love for Katniss to the entire Panemic world, but he sure has a strange way of showing it. Worse than a supposed suitor, Rae is left alone to face the small community's wrath due to the traitorous actions of her father, the snitch who tells the authorities about the meth labs that dot the Ozark landscape. By turning informant, the father should have known that he was putting not just himself, but his daughter in harm's way, also. The local women nearly beat Rae to death. In a sense, like Katniss, who outscores Peeta 11-8 on the assessment tests, Rae gets punished for being better a man, which in her case, is having the nerve of doing something better than cooking crank like the old man. In both films, wars are waged amonst people of the same social class against each other. Knowing that Rae has mouths to feed, the people next door play a little hunger games of their own, waiting until dark to share their carcass, a newly slaughtered deer. Both the hillbillies and the disenfranchised youths fail to realize that they're on the same side. The Japanese are smarter. In Battle Royale, there are real alliances; they work together in earnest, without intrigue. They understand who the real enemy is. In another precursing film, The Running Man, we can gauge audience reaction throughout the bloody spectacle. No doubt, viewers across the Capitol want Katniss and Peeta to fight. Alas, they're unseen. Just like us. Expand
  24. May 23, 2012
    I feel such a victim of advertising! Twighlight fans rejoice. Yet another superficial hollywood megaproduction polylogy. If the objective is to feel shocked by youngsters thrown into a survival of the fittest contest, then a much superior film is Battle Royale.
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    To be honest, I avoid this movie thinking it was going to be the next Twilight. Fortunately that is not the case. I have not read the books, nor do I care to so, so I don't have to care if it is as good as the source or not. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie allot more than I would care to admit publicly.

But I do have my gripes too: 1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were

But I do have my gripes too:

1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were believable practical gore effects too expensive? Seriously, the cinematography was terrible, at least for most of the action sequences. I almost felt like the camera man was having seizures everytime he got excited.
    2) The buildup took far too long and really did not do that great a job developing the characters. At least none of the side characters. The main character were OK but could have been better.
    3) Far too many conveniences, the narrative does stray from believability at times.

Overall:
    Even though it is a clear western copy and paste watered down version of Battle Royale, it's still allot of fun and some great performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson. It wasn't the "chick-flick" I thought it was going to be.
  26. Nov 20, 2013
    Overall, I enjoyed the Hunger Games. It was interesting and didn’t mess up the story. However, the story itself is not really interesting but hopefully the second one will be better. While the Hunger Games is a great film adaptation of a book, it is by no means a great film.
  27. Mar 27, 2012
    "The Hunger Games" was one of my favorite books of recent years, and I thought the movie was very faithful to the book. Jennifer Lawrence in particular was perfect as Katniss. It is true, as some reviewers state, that the movie leaves a lot of the back story of Katniss and Peeta out, but there is enough in the flashbacks so viewers get the idea. At first I thought Josh Hutcherson was wrong"The Hunger Games" was one of my favorite books of recent years, and I thought the movie was very faithful to the book. Jennifer Lawrence in particular was perfect as Katniss. It is true, as some reviewers state, that the movie leaves a lot of the back story of Katniss and Peeta out, but there is enough in the flashbacks so viewers get the idea. At first I thought Josh Hutcherson was wrong for the Peeta role, but he won me over with his performance. Overall a very good adaptation of a very good book. Anytime you make a movie of a beloved book it can never live up to some people's expectations. I thought they did a great job. My only major criticism would be the ever moving motion of the camera. I really hate this stupid technique that directors are using these days. You can get motion sick at the movies and it's annoying. Expand
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    "The Hunger Games" is ferociously intense and thrilling. It's powerfully acted, thought-provoking and faithful to the novel. So prepare yourselves, because you're gonna have a hell of a ride. I do hope "Catching Fire" would turn out just like this one, or hopefully even better.
  29. Mar 13, 2015
    With it's engaging narrative set-up, unforgettable cast of characters and ferociously powerful action sequences, The Hunger Games sets the bar surprisingly high for book-to-movie adaptations to come.
  30. Jun 5, 2013
    I was really surprised how this movie turned out. I mean just by watching the trailers, it looked pretty typical, but the movie delivers with great acting and great storytelling. There were characters that stuck out amongst
    others, like Stanley Tucci and Woody Harrelson. Then there were those that didn't really stick out but were surprisingly good in this movie like Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. The feel of the movie was really exciting and alive. Especially once the Hunger Games actually starts. It does tend to slow down in places, but it usually tends to pick itself back up. Overall, it's an amazing start from the beloved book series.
  31. Sep 25, 2012
    not exactly like the book, but still very good. Not if the beginning of the movie, the camera recorded badly on purpose or is he had Parkinson's....!!!
  32. Mar 23, 2012
    The Hunger Games is a fantastic movie, and the reason? The cast, the books, the story, all is amazing in the Hunger Games. The best is Jennifer Lawrence at Katniss Everdeen. I love The Hunger Games, is an amzing movie.
  33. Aug 27, 2012
    NOTE: I haven't read the book
    THE HUNGER GAMES is a tense and powerful adaptation of the teen novel that contains thrilling moments, some good acting and a nice art style. Though, the final act is rushed, the camera work is occasionally quite shaky and some of the characters are quite irritating.
  34. Jan 5, 2013
    Keyword to this movie is overrated! I was sure it would not live up to the hype but it did not even come close. It is the most overrated movie from last year. It was also kind of strange.
  35. Nov 9, 2014
    A solid start to a promising franchise, The Hunger Games thrills with good action sequences and a brilliant performance by Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  36. Mar 1, 2015
    Its somewhat shaky cameras can be compensated by Jennifer Lawrence's all-star performance and its thrilling, emotionally resonant storytelling. One of the few YA films that actually works.
  37. Jul 31, 2014
    Based on the bestselling books for young adults the Hunger Games is a set in a world where, in order to keep the population under control, two children from each of the twelve districts are chosen to compete a two week trial in which only one can survive.

I haven't read the books but throughout the movie I got the sense that certain elements have been left underdeveloped and toned down in order to maintain a reasonable running time and ensure a rating that would allow fans of the books to see it. In large part thanks to the central performance by, the always excellent, Jennifer Lawrence however The Hunger Games still makes for a relatively entertaining watch. It is well shot and moves along at a good pace with just enough tension to keep things from become too predictable.

Not a classic but certainly worth a watch.
  38. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is well written, acted and shot, however the beauty of it seems unnatural with its dark themes. I feel this film (along with the book series) is built more for a 'Harry Potter' audience and is to watered down for it's adult themes.
  39. Jul 28, 2014
    Watching "The Hunger Games" was like watching again one of the many young-adult films, that have their protagonist struggle with something superior and manage to beat it. In an all-too-generic plot, Lawrence's Katniss is more than acceptable, even though she does not get the chance to display much more than a girl-turned-hero. One of the most interesting points is that the film does notWatching "The Hunger Games" was like watching again one of the many young-adult films, that have their protagonist struggle with something superior and manage to beat it. In an all-too-generic plot, Lawrence's Katniss is more than acceptable, even though she does not get the chance to display much more than a girl-turned-hero. One of the most interesting points is that the film does not feature a romance between its protagonists, and this makes it different from other films of the same genre. An unimportant aspect, yes, but one of the very few "originalities" the film has to demonstrate.

A must-see, definitely, at least because you have to know the story in order to watch the much more interesting sequel(s).
  40. Feb 15, 2013
    This was an engaging movie. The world building was fabulous, and the characters were very well done. The score was amazing too. The book's mythology was very well captured. The feel and tone was consistently dark and brooding. I had read the book first, and I recognize that in a movie it's all show and no tell, so it was refreshing that they tried to capture the story from differentThis was an engaging movie. The world building was fabulous, and the characters were very well done. The score was amazing too. The book's mythology was very well captured. The feel and tone was consistently dark and brooding. I had read the book first, and I recognize that in a movie it's all show and no tell, so it was refreshing that they tried to capture the story from different viewpoints. But I was still disappointed that they didn't include the moments where Katniss comes across as very human and flawed. I was hoping they would include a voice-over for the heroine. I'm not saying they should have narrated everything, but Katniss's thoughts at key moments would have made the situations more entertaining, like her feelings about Peeta as they change when the story moves forward. All in all, I was very satisfied. If anyone who read the book isn't happy with the adaptation, I suggest you consider The Golden Compass, which was based on an awesome book but turned into a pile of rubbish upon adaptation; as it included far less character development, had lesser running time and toned down violence. Expand
  41. Mar 23, 2012
    The hunger games' largest problem is that it chooses to emphacize on it's dramatic material between the lovebirds over it's thematic material. Does the film do the book justice? kind of I guess. Will all the teen girls that go see this film be happy they sure will. This does not meen i did not enjoy it, it just meens it could have been a lot better by taking a few more risks as the criticsThe hunger games' largest problem is that it chooses to emphacize on it's dramatic material between the lovebirds over it's thematic material. Does the film do the book justice? kind of I guess. Will all the teen girls that go see this film be happy they sure will. This does not meen i did not enjoy it, it just meens it could have been a lot better by taking a few more risks as the critics like to say. Expand
  42. Apr 5, 2012
    What an excellent film. Having read the books, i love the way Gary Ross brought the highly acclaimed book to the big screen. Yes it had its differences from the book, but wow he did an amazing job. The parts that were missing from the books were understandable because he had to appeal to the audience that didn't read the book and help them understand the development of the story and theWhat an excellent film. Having read the books, i love the way Gary Ross brought the highly acclaimed book to the big screen. Yes it had its differences from the book, but wow he did an amazing job. The parts that were missing from the books were understandable because he had to appeal to the audience that didn't read the book and help them understand the development of the story and the plot. The character development was the biggest flaw i saw in the film. It seemed very weak. I read the books yet i didn't feel anything for Gale and his relationship with Katniss in the movie, and the actor for Peeta was very weak, but you can't expect picture perfect acting from a newcomer like him. Same with Katniss and Rue's relationship, it wasn't built up nearly as much as it was in the book, yet the movie was already 2 and a half hours so its understandable. Overall though this film was just beautiful. The development to the games was perfect, the games themself were perfect and the way they brought the capitol and district 12 to life was perfect, exactly as i pictured it in the book. The action was very well done as well. This movie was almost perfect with just a few minor flaws. I'd give it a 9.5/10 but ill round it up to 10/10. Whether you have or have not read the books, you will love this movie for sure. Thank you Gary Ross (director) for bringing one of our favorite books to life in a beautiful way. Expand
  43. Apr 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games is not like Harry Potter or Twilight Saga, let's say we must trust the hype. It's thrilling and touching. Gary Ross put this movie-based-on-book more exciting with his hand. Thanks to solid acting from Lawrence.
  44. Mar 26, 2012
    In the spirit of Last-Man-Standing contest, Hunger Games surprisingly succeeds in mixing teen love story with bloody combat. Usually movies with romantic trait tend to stroll back and forth boringly which leads to slumber inducing moments or late regret of purchasing the ticket, and usually survivor type movies tend to abuse gore in your face which leaves the tension specifically only toIn the spirit of Last-Man-Standing contest, Hunger Games surprisingly succeeds in mixing teen love story with bloody combat. Usually movies with romantic trait tend to stroll back and forth boringly which leads to slumber inducing moments or late regret of purchasing the ticket, and usually survivor type movies tend to abuse gore in your face which leaves the tension specifically only to scare tactic, leaving you without a damn to give about the characters aside from how and when they will die. Hunger Games balances them both and creates a well paced movie with great storytelling and adequate visceral display to boot. It's an action movie that takes its time as the battle doesn't start halfway into the movie and fortunately doesn't repeat the old mistake, giving outrageous death in early minutes then leaves you hanging for the rest. The pace builds up nicely with large ambitious world to introduce, this pays off when the plot becomes more intense in the later half. In the world of Hunger Games, each year they will commemorate a festival in which 24 Tributes, young boys and girls from twelve districts, will take part in a battle royal until one victor remains standing. The lead Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) are likeable as the representatives from District 12, one of the most rural there is. People like underdog, to quote one of the characters. Katniss is an older sister who volunteers herself after her sister was originally picked by a sort of eerie lottery called the Reaping. She is courageous, realistically appealing and very easy to root for. Peeta has more character development as he's not initially oozing with confident compared to Katniss, audience might be unsympathetic towards him but he matures during the story. Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) is quite whimsical as their secretly caring yet partially sober mentor. He has an awkward parental figure, much like in Zombieland. Effie (Elizabeth Banks) is a curios character, she views the life and problems with undermining perspective, perhaps a commentary of its dystopian world which has overly indulged itself to the point of apathy. Regardless of that, she is enigmatically appealing, although mostly for a bit irony. Cinna (Lenny Kravitz) is a delightful addition, he portrays a rather metrosexual image consultant which provides more mature support and shows more affection than the other two. Too bad he doesnâ Expand
  45. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much wasted potential. I really loved the good dystopian atmosphere of the movie beginning, but when it came to the games - it started becoming less good. The strange turn of events, unnecessarily lengthy cheesy and "dramatic" sequences. I didn't like the thing that there were fireballs thrown to the main character and those giant dogs in the end. Just kills all the immersion. The other thing I didn't like - the main hero is not just so good, she just always gets lucky, so that means any other lucky guy can be on her place, I mean you can't see why she is the one to win, there is always someone/something to help her. Otherwise the actors are good, I always like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson on screen. Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie though I do not regret the wasted time. Expand
  46. Nov 29, 2013
  47. Mar 25, 2012
    From the top to the end "The Hunger Games" is a total entertainment . The story is very nicely built up . It succeed to create the hunger for the game for the audience . I very much like the before gaming part coz it gave the story a better shape, which is very rare . The gaming part was good , actually a bit better then I thought it would be. Jennifer was the perfect choice for playingFrom the top to the end "The Hunger Games" is a total entertainment . The story is very nicely built up . It succeed to create the hunger for the game for the audience . I very much like the before gaming part coz it gave the story a better shape, which is very rare . The gaming part was good , actually a bit better then I thought it would be. Jennifer was the perfect choice for playing Katniss . She was really amazing . She did so much better then I though she would and her acting was top class . Josh on the other hand was the weakest of all the main characters , it wasn't his best role and sometimes it felt like he wasn't trying to act well . One of my fav characters of the novel is Haymitch. And Harrelson did absolutely a fine job screening the character . Elizabeth , Stanley ,Sutherland was also good in there roles . Wes Bentley on the other side had his breakthrough role . He was really awesome . As for the director Gary Ross , I didn't like his direction that much . Before gaming part was okay but he failed to create the suspense and thriller which was very much needed at some point . I've never doubted James Newton Howard's music and I still stand corrected . So overall , With a very promising cast and an amazing story makes The Hunger Games is one of the best young-adult thriller movie ever . Its enjoyable , its a total entertainment and it has two more sequel that im very much looking forward to .................. Expand
  48. Mar 30, 2012
    I did NOT read the books. With that being said, I liked this film! The performances are all great and the story, as you can imagine, is strong. It drags here and there but nothing that sucks the life out of what's going on on-screen. Harrelson does a fine job and he provides a likeable character here. Of course, the gorgeous pitch-perfect Lawrence is stunning as ever. There is some strongI did NOT read the books. With that being said, I liked this film! The performances are all great and the story, as you can imagine, is strong. It drags here and there but nothing that sucks the life out of what's going on on-screen. Harrelson does a fine job and he provides a likeable character here. Of course, the gorgeous pitch-perfect Lawrence is stunning as ever. There is some strong potential here and I believe with time and a couple sequels that are equally as good, this will be another franchise powerhouse. Expand
  49. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I had never heard of the Hunger Games series prior to the film coming out, proof if needed that I'm obviously not a 'young adult anymore! the other half came in with this the other day so I gave into the hype and gave it a go.
    What's it all about? Set in a fictional American dystopian future, a new nation called Panem is divided into 12 distinct districts and
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Set in a fictional American dystopian future, a new nation called Panem is divided into 12 distinct districts and controlled by the powerful and rich Capitol. As punishment for an uprising some years before, The Capitol organise a yearly competition known as the Hunger Games where each district must send 2 competitors, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18, known as tributes. The children are left to fight until the death until only one survives and is declared the champion. Should you watch it?
    I was largely non-fussed by The Hunger Games. Having not read the books I've no idea how the adaptation compares but as a standalone film it wasn't bad but it wasn't too great either. The story borrows elements from The Truman Show, Running Man and Blade Runner among others. I should plead ignorance in having not yet seen Battle Royale, but I'm aware that the plot is remarkably similar. The point being that the plot is not awfully original.

The directing and editing in the districts did not work for me. The shaky camera work and chop editing might have been selected to create a sense of disorganisation and panic in the districts during tribute selection but I found it too much. Another gripe I had was the use of flashbacks by Gary Ross. Flashbacks of unseen footage provide the viewer with an opportunity to see what has previously occured and can be plot aids but why did Ross choose to show flashbacks of scenes we had already seen, one in particular several times over. I clearly missed the importance of the scene.

I felt the film was dumbed down in places, definitely in terms of violence, which I can understand with this being a Hollywood production with children involved but also with some of the script. A prime example being at the end when the game organiser announces that the rules are being changed spontaneously again, It is so obvious what the rule change is going to be but yet the characters are made to listen to the full announcement with a few more seconds afterwards to digest the ramifications.

There are decent performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Allen so its far from all bad.
  50. Jul 22, 2013
    While I am no fan of "The Hunger Games" books nor did I really hear about them until the film came out and I took a whole year to actually get to watch the film, I must admit it is quite good. As a matter of fact, I am quite shocked at how good it is. In my head it was somewhat of a "Twilight" phenomenon, so I discarded it immediately. However, it was misguided. "The Hunger Games" has anWhile I am no fan of "The Hunger Games" books nor did I really hear about them until the film came out and I took a whole year to actually get to watch the film, I must admit it is quite good. As a matter of fact, I am quite shocked at how good it is. In my head it was somewhat of a "Twilight" phenomenon, so I discarded it immediately. However, it was misguided. "The Hunger Games" has an interesting premise, and a rather well thought out idea. The screenplay is well written and it achieves to keep one fully immersed into the film, and provides necessary thrills throughout the entirety of the film. I was so absorbed and intensely connecting with the characters, I got acid reflux from all the tension. Oh, no, I am not joking.

Anyhow, the technicalities of the film need no discussion, really. A film with such a huge budget will make sure to clean up nicely and "The Hunger Games" is no different. The performances were, surprisingly, quite convincing and were not forced. Jennifer Lawrence is pitch-perfect as the leading lady, and all the supporting cast does a good job. I was especially stricken by the emotional connection with, and performance by the young Amandla Stenberg. It is sad we will not be seeing her in the second instalment of the series, but what can one do.

Overall, it was a real pleasure to watch this film. Not only did it deliver unexpected thrills (at least unexpected to me), but it also managed to take the audience into that dystopian world of the future. How dystopic it really is is another question to be asked, especially in light of reality television and its ever-brutal entrance into the real lives of people. Quite often with dubious ethical, moral and taste breaches that leave one baffled.
  51. Nov 23, 2014
    The Hunger Games es una película que te intriga y entretiene desde que empieza hasta que termina, con mucha acción y grandes actuaciones por parte de todos. Es totalmente una gran película de Ciencia-Ficción.
  52. Mar 26, 2012
    I always wonder after seeing a movie where I have read the book beforehand, â
  53. Jul 17, 2012
    The Hunger Games, the film adaptation of the hugely popular first book of the trilogy by Suzanne Collins (of which I have read none) may feel a bit underwhelming to fans of the books (I have personally heard such griping), but it still has amazing visuals, great set pieces, and engaging performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson in particular. The film contains many scenes ofThe Hunger Games, the film adaptation of the hugely popular first book of the trilogy by Suzanne Collins (of which I have read none) may feel a bit underwhelming to fans of the books (I have personally heard such griping), but it still has amazing visuals, great set pieces, and engaging performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson in particular. The film contains many scenes of violence that seem somewhat restrained (even the moment when the kids are to begin the game, many dizzying quick cuts are made to keep a teen-friendly PG-13 rated massacre). But the interplay between the well drawn, interesting characters is directed with precision from Gary Ross and the ambition of the source material seems to remain intact. It might even feel a bit short at nearly two-and-a-half hours due to the prolonged quick pace, so The Hunger Games should aptly thrill and entertain. Expand
  54. Jan 28, 2013
    The Hunger Games was overall a good movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly and feel like it did an extremely good job connecting you with it's characters. This film is exciting and engaging. The entire cast did a good job in this film and I would easily recommend this film to friends. The only problem that I had with this film is that sometimes when there were characters being killed the cameraThe Hunger Games was overall a good movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly and feel like it did an extremely good job connecting you with it's characters. This film is exciting and engaging. The entire cast did a good job in this film and I would easily recommend this film to friends. The only problem that I had with this film is that sometimes when there were characters being killed the camera got very shaky making it hard to tell what's going on sometimes but this was most likely an attempt to avoid a "R" rating. All and all The Hunger Games is a good movie and very entertaining! Expand
  55. Dec 18, 2012
    I liked the plot of this film, the post-apocalyptic era and the twisted way to punish the kids by holding annual games in which they have to kill to win, pretty disturbing yet exciting. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was really great. May the odds be ever in her favor.
  56. Aug 24, 2012
    Whilst I have not read the books, I thought the film was very well done but was drawn-out far too long. Gary Ross does brilliantly when building the tenision and the cast were superb. The climax was slightly predicatable but still encapsulated the clever twists and turns for which I think the novels are famous for. Woody Harrelson is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors afterWhilst I have not read the books, I thought the film was very well done but was drawn-out far too long. Gary Ross does brilliantly when building the tenision and the cast were superb. The climax was slightly predicatable but still encapsulated the clever twists and turns for which I think the novels are famous for. Woody Harrelson is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors after turning in another superb display. Expand
  57. Apr 22, 2013
    The Hunger Games is an overall disappointment. The book tells you that this "game" comes with brutality, and the movie tells you brutality can't be found only glimpses of disturbing imagery can. For the technical categories The Hunger Games is an achievement. The pace destroys the movie though. Movies are kind of like music. They have timing. The Hunger Games threw events at you bam bamThe Hunger Games is an overall disappointment. The book tells you that this "game" comes with brutality, and the movie tells you brutality can't be found only glimpses of disturbing imagery can. For the technical categories The Hunger Games is an achievement. The pace destroys the movie though. Movies are kind of like music. They have timing. The Hunger Games threw events at you bam bam bam bam! It tried to fit everything in so well that the movies pace was to uneasy and fast leaving it with boringness and unpleasantsy. Expand
  58. Mar 27, 2012
    This is called to see a full movie, funny, sentimental and full of action! Stanley Tucci gave the best supporting actor, just great! the only thing that disappointed me a bit was his artistic direction, I feel I could have done better, so other well.
  59. Jun 9, 2013
    This movie was really interesting and very entertaining. The script, the direction, and the performances were all great. But the actress that really caught my attention was Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance was so genuine and believable. She's easily one of the best young actress's in America right now. Other than what's good about it, the only problem with the movie was that it took aThis movie was really interesting and very entertaining. The script, the direction, and the performances were all great. But the actress that really caught my attention was Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance was so genuine and believable. She's easily one of the best young actress's in America right now. Other than what's good about it, the only problem with the movie was that it took a little too long to get to the actual Hunger Games. Another words, it's too long. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2012
    It has good acting and a great atmosphere, but after an interesting first half it becomes ultimately too tame and predictable to be considered great.
  61. Apr 8, 2012
    I have never read the books but I can tell you the movie is so flawed that I could write a book about it. At first, it seems like they could not decide on whether they wanted to make a serious film or a campy film to show to people really stoned for midnight weekend films. The futuristic utopia image was a joke as the film projected a country that was half Star Trek and half the DarkI have never read the books but I can tell you the movie is so flawed that I could write a book about it. At first, it seems like they could not decide on whether they wanted to make a serious film or a campy film to show to people really stoned for midnight weekend films. The futuristic utopia image was a joke as the film projected a country that was half Star Trek and half the Dark Ages. I thought the sets looked cheap and Woody Harrellson looked liked Tom Petty. Once they got around to the games, the film really lost any sense of reality as the one focused on 4 or 5 of the participants and we never saw anything about the others. The film has zero character development, plot development, and the history behind the games was never really explained. Lawrence spent most of her time sleeping in a tree while my film going partner spent her time looking at her watch. Hunger Games is close to being a movie you would see on Mystery Science Fiction Theather. It made Avatar look a classic . You can see the sequels coming but I will not go. Expand
  62. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jennifer Lawrence stuns her audience with her amazing capabilities as an actress. The acting was well done, as were the effects. The film did, however have many production errors, one being the death order of the tributes in the bloodbath jumbled. Amandla Stenberg made an impressing acting debut as Rue, where actors such as Isabelle Fuhrman and Jack Quade, who are fairly new in the film industry did well as Clove and Marvel. I would have liked that Madge Undersee was included into the film, along with a few other scenes during and after the games that were omitted from the final picture. Expand
  63. Aug 16, 2012
    Lets mix "the running man" with the tv show "Survivor" target the audience for "teenagers" but lets make it as violent as possible. Thats the end result for this movie. The movie is not orginal, boring, NOT real, the characters act as if they were on a tv show and their lives werent not in danger. They formed "Alliances" when the whole idea was the strongest person survives? give me aLets mix "the running man" with the tv show "Survivor" target the audience for "teenagers" but lets make it as violent as possible. Thats the end result for this movie. The movie is not orginal, boring, NOT real, the characters act as if they were on a tv show and their lives werent not in danger. They formed "Alliances" when the whole idea was the strongest person survives? give me a break! AVOID this movie at all costs! Expand
  64. Nov 30, 2013
    It's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as the Capitol intends). One of my problems with "The Hunger Games", is that there is not enough time to develop all of the information brought in the bookIt's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as the Capitol intends). One of my problems with "The Hunger Games", is that there is not enough time to develop all of the information brought in the book onscreen. Even with 2 hrs and 30 minutes, I feel that, "The Hunger Games" is generally rushed. It's hard to take in emotional scenes if they are happening to fast, and unfortunately for me, this was a little hard to grasp. Another issue remained with the CG, and how it seemed very Computer Generated rather then realistic. But then again, with a $78 million budget, it's hard to complain. I may feel nagging, but I still feel that "The Hunger Games" is a strong film, as it succeeds is driving the emotions and feeling of intensity in your face. Expand
  65. Mar 19, 2013
    Not worth it. Please, I read the book for school and decided to check out the movie. My God that was terrible almost as terrible as Avatar. I fell asleep 3 times. The book was filled with action but this movie wasn't. Acting was good that's why I gave it a three. If you want to be entertained you would have a better chance watching the book cover then this. The book cover was moreNot worth it. Please, I read the book for school and decided to check out the movie. My God that was terrible almost as terrible as Avatar. I fell asleep 3 times. The book was filled with action but this movie wasn't. Acting was good that's why I gave it a three. If you want to be entertained you would have a better chance watching the book cover then this. The book cover was more interesting then the movie. Avoid movies like this and you will be happy. You want my advice, watch Spring Breakers. Expand
  66. Oct 23, 2013
    Flat characterisation and story development with juvenile depictions of the brutal subject it was approaching. Such was this, that the costume and set design were very much bloated. The romance is too focused and seems less keen on exploring the themes of creating a society based on the treatment of competition between young people by killing each other. First and foremost, you didn't haveFlat characterisation and story development with juvenile depictions of the brutal subject it was approaching. Such was this, that the costume and set design were very much bloated. The romance is too focused and seems less keen on exploring the themes of creating a society based on the treatment of competition between young people by killing each other. First and foremost, you didn't have to see the film to know how it ended. A feeling that that was how it was going to end was illustrated under the unconvincing panic of its main protagonists who would miraculously appear in the sequel. Seeing as how I had never read the books, I felt as if was some kind of condescending response to those who genuinely wanted to see the film but had never read the books. Expand
  67. Jul 22, 2013
    Da mas que quita una idea original de accion y sanguinaria que demuestra salir adelante en la taquilla suspenso, accion y sus buenos esfectos ademas de buenas actuaciones
  68. Aug 23, 2012
    I am always very skeptical to see anything made from teen material, but was pleasantly surprised by Hunger Games. The premise does feel familiar, but done in a more interesting way then we have seen before. This movie is well written,well acted, and looks great. The action plays out in a pretty cool way and ends on an emotional note. I am hopeful that going forward this does not turn intoI am always very skeptical to see anything made from teen material, but was pleasantly surprised by Hunger Games. The premise does feel familiar, but done in a more interesting way then we have seen before. This movie is well written,well acted, and looks great. The action plays out in a pretty cool way and ends on an emotional note. I am hopeful that going forward this does not turn into a love triangle movie, in which case I will be "Team I Don't Care". But based on the first act alone, this is a pretty cool story line. Expand
  69. Apr 14, 2012
    The Hunger Games - 10/10 - The Hunger Games is inventive, inspirational and at times mind-blowing. It's not the greatest adaptation of the novel but this film stands alone. The shaky camera might be a little must but it's a brilliant way for this film that's about kids killing kids to bypass the MPAA and a R rating. Also a blockbuster of this nature made for under a hundred million and notThe Hunger Games - 10/10 - The Hunger Games is inventive, inspirational and at times mind-blowing. It's not the greatest adaptation of the novel but this film stands alone. The shaky camera might be a little must but it's a brilliant way for this film that's about kids killing kids to bypass the MPAA and a R rating. Also a blockbuster of this nature made for under a hundred million and not being a total disaster is a feat within itself. Hunger Games is a must watch blockbuster in a randomly placed March! Expand
  70. Nov 18, 2013
    There are scenes that left me feeling confused because of its jumpiness, but for a book adaptation, this first installment of Suzanne Collins' great series is more than one could've asked for. Lawrence is the best choice for Katniss, and she does it excellently. Even for someone who hasn't read the book, I don't think there will be too many confusions because the movie manages to keep theThere are scenes that left me feeling confused because of its jumpiness, but for a book adaptation, this first installment of Suzanne Collins' great series is more than one could've asked for. Lawrence is the best choice for Katniss, and she does it excellently. Even for someone who hasn't read the book, I don't think there will be too many confusions because the movie manages to keep the story both complex and simple at the same time. It's been a long time since I enjoy a movie with female heroine and seems like Jennifer Lawrence is truly destined to be the actress of her generation. Expand
  71. Oct 19, 2014
    Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until oneEvery year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.
    Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
  72. Mar 27, 2013
    an original story the costume is actually confusing but i liked the performance of both the leading the actors and i loved the movie overall feeling and i can't wait for the rest of the series.
  73. Sep 10, 2012
    If you thought that the trailer was a bit lacking in action then I'm afraid to say the film's the same. It's all about the build up (admittedly good) to the games which comprise around 20-30 mins near the end of the film. It's all over way too quickly and you're sitting there with a very unsatisfied blood lust. Speaking of lust though, Jennifer Lawrence bags this film an extra point for meIf you thought that the trailer was a bit lacking in action then I'm afraid to say the film's the same. It's all about the build up (admittedly good) to the games which comprise around 20-30 mins near the end of the film. It's all over way too quickly and you're sitting there with a very unsatisfied blood lust. Speaking of lust though, Jennifer Lawrence bags this film an extra point for me seeing as she's plays the role brilliantly and oh yeah, she's fit as hell. Expand
  74. Apr 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the hunger game is a story about every year there is a battle royal were 24 kids fright to the death and one comes out. this movie has a great death sense with this girl name rue it was a very good death sense. Expand
  75. Mar 30, 2012
    I don't blame the books. I haven't read them but just looking at wikipedia the overarching story as a lot of rich material to draw from. This movie just will have none of it. It was poorly written. Poorly acted (the lead girl was good but that was pretty much it). None of the backstory was explored. Just a bad movie plane and simple. The movie is really about a 3/10 but I'm giving it a 0I don't blame the books. I haven't read them but just looking at wikipedia the overarching story as a lot of rich material to draw from. This movie just will have none of it. It was poorly written. Poorly acted (the lead girl was good but that was pretty much it). None of the backstory was explored. Just a bad movie plane and simple. The movie is really about a 3/10 but I'm giving it a 0 because of others voting it up. Basically the movie is totally overhyped. It really isn't good at all. Characters have no back story besides the 2 leads and they expect us to connect to other characters when something happens to them? Literally characters are introduced for 5 minutes and we are supposed to feel sad when they die? Ha. If the point of the games is to kill everyone else then why would these people form teams? Why would they sleep all at the same time? Why did one not wake up to betray the others silently. Just far far too many plot holes. Expand
  76. Aug 17, 2012
    Pretty close to the book and although it's a 2,5 hour film they had to compress events and characters a quite bit. People that got plenty of time in the book now don't even get called by name and some interesting background details and subplots get lost. The acting is excellent but the lack of budget is noticable in some less then perfect VFX shots and they hide the lack of extensive setsPretty close to the book and although it's a 2,5 hour film they had to compress events and characters a quite bit. People that got plenty of time in the book now don't even get called by name and some interesting background details and subplots get lost. The acting is excellent but the lack of budget is noticable in some less then perfect VFX shots and they hide the lack of extensive sets by keeping the camera (too) close to the actors. A good film but it certainly helps to have read the book. Expand
  77. Jul 12, 2012
    I was so excited but also so concerned that they were going to screw up this movie, based on a book that is one of my favorites. But I am pleased to say, they did great! The casting is great, the story is great, the direction is great (but, maybe a little bit too much shaky cam?) and the pacing is great. Of course, some parts of the book weren't included, but that's to be expected with anI was so excited but also so concerned that they were going to screw up this movie, based on a book that is one of my favorites. But I am pleased to say, they did great! The casting is great, the story is great, the direction is great (but, maybe a little bit too much shaky cam?) and the pacing is great. Of course, some parts of the book weren't included, but that's to be expected with an adaption of a novel. Expand
  78. Feb 19, 2013
    The Hunger Games is a half-decent albeit illogical science-fiction action movie. The plot revolves around 24 teenagers being forced into taking part in a fight to the death. The movie is 2 hours and 21 minutes long and yet they still manage to not properly introduce all of the contestants to us which makes their inevitable deaths meaningless and although this detracts from the seriousThe Hunger Games is a half-decent albeit illogical science-fiction action movie. The plot revolves around 24 teenagers being forced into taking part in a fight to the death. The movie is 2 hours and 21 minutes long and yet they still manage to not properly introduce all of the contestants to us which makes their inevitable deaths meaningless and although this detracts from the serious atmosphere they're trying to create, it does make for an entertaining action movie. The story seems puzzled together from several other movies/books and put together as a mostly coherent and entertaining whole despite some logical fallacies. The writers must be highly conformist creatures for them to believe people would sit idly by when you force their children to fight to the death year after year. The Hunger Games has a happy ending but it leaves much to be desired. Like his holiness Snake Plissken said "The more things change, the more they stay the same" and I couldn't find think of a more fitting vote to describe the ending of this movie. However, f you manage to look beyond these flaws, you'll have quite an entertaining film if you watch it in two or three parts. The beautiful Jennifer Lawrence, as usual, manages to put on a show and if it wasn't for her, this movie probably wouldn't be rated as high as it currently is. Expand
  79. Mar 23, 2012
    Though the concept is hardly an original one, "The Hunger Games," directed by Gary Ross ("Pleasantville," "Seabiscuit," and the upcoming "Catching Fire"), visually details the first installment of the widely acclaimed dystopian trilogy written by Suzanne Collins. Taking a page or two from earlier films of a similar variety, as in a much tamer account of Fukasaku's "Battle Royale" (2001)Though the concept is hardly an original one, "The Hunger Games," directed by Gary Ross ("Pleasantville," "Seabiscuit," and the upcoming "Catching Fire"), visually details the first installment of the widely acclaimed dystopian trilogy written by Suzanne Collins. Taking a page or two from earlier films of a similar variety, as in a much tamer account of Fukasaku's "Battle Royale" (2001) and delivering the same satirical overtones and vision of runaway celebrity culture and reality-tv obsession like Weir's "The Truman Show" (1998), the film shines in its tense tone and from a couple of its leads (Lawrence and Hutcherson), though is lessened by its invariably unstable, twitchy camerawork (using three angles at times) and over-editing swiftness --despite its intentions to make for intensified pathos and a neurotic dystopia--which fails to match the book's same sense of loss from death and the competition's ubiquitous ambiance of uncompromising gravity and carnage. Notwithstanding the camerawork, editing errors, and violence-saving restraint (let's not forget its rated PG-13), 'Games' is very much engrossing; the one-hundred and forty-four minute runtime never seems too tedious or soporific. Moreover, the film retains its grip on the viewer's attention much in part to its nimbly brisk pace and stunning cinematography. Lawrence is really what puts 'Games' on the same map as "Harry Potter" and further away from "Twilight;" she has a calming innocence that is both steady and assuring to the viewer, and blue eyes that are equally riveting. If viewers are familiar with her in "Winter's Bone," the same barefaced committment is brought to her character Katniss Everdeen, the bow-and-arrow-slinging heroine, who volunteers for her eleven-year old sister in the annual "Hunger Games." It is through Katniss that audiences become genuinely concerned with the competition's outcome; rooting for the heroine over even her District 12-adversarily-forced friend Peeta (Hutcherson). His character attires a strong, affecting visage that tears the viewer momentarily for whom to continue to cheer for; Katniss still wins over the crowd. But even more effective, is the film's transition from the book, which is told in first-person (Katniss as the focal point), to an omni-prescent scope. With this clever, and much safer, modification, the audience gets to see both the Hunger Games control room (the studio show stage) as well as the artifical, environmentally-staged battlefield. Furthermore, the continual change of pace from hunting (the action) and the scripted show (presentation) mimicks a "real-life" reality premise where audiences see both the physical confrontation and the manipulated, interviews, pre-game ceremonies and beauty-style pagentry, laden with flamboyant fashion and persistent directing coordinators. The control room, as in all of the film's setting, draws a strong, at times too close, semblance to "Fifth Element;" apparently Hollywood's only visual representative take on what the future world will be. Amalgamated from this "reality-show" are hosts and staff, some memorable, and some one would like to repress. Among the former, is madcap, blue-bouffant, male-Oprah-like Stanley Tucci, the horrificly bearded high-tech coordinator, Wes Bentley, and the long, wooly white, lion mane coiffure of Donald Sutherland as the usually distinguished and mellifluous, President Snow of the 'Games'; he is demonically brutal in his antagonistic role. As a whole, 'Hunger' is a film that is steered money first into a consuming demographic (13-19), and restrains itself knowingly from achieving brilliance by ensuring it stays the course. Though it starts as if it will last an eternity, and stand amongst cinematic grandeur, the film inexorably loses it steam and transmutes into the melodrammatic plodding in the woods that follows the "Twilight" series far too subserviently. In addition to the increasingly eggregious display of treacle adolescent-romance and fluff, the initial brilliant cinematography by Tom Stern is supplanted with noticeably cooler, more mundane tones. And, once the fighting itself begins, the teens on the battlefield are just not given the same degree of complexity and richness as the adults; they are seen as sheer psychopaths with no souls. Moreover, the need to add the laboriously dull and done-before love triangle only frames what will hopefully "tie-in" in the next installment, but the incipient longing for relationships does not put an effective cap on this origin account. Not endowing the same cultural study of class critique, as the superior "Battle Royale," 'Games' is obviously too Hollywood for its own good, eliminating some of the greater meanings the film desires to fulfill. The crux of the point: breaking box-office records is more important than making breaking one's highest expectations; settling for green is the greater compromise. Expand
  80. Oct 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose herThe Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose her enemies and fall in love to win the hearts of the viewers and to increase her chances of survival.
    The films special effects are good, the larger ones are noticeable but the smaller ones not so much making it fit in with the reality or not feel to it not to mention the top notch acting. The Hunger Games is one of 2012's unmissable films.
  81. Dec 10, 2014
    How summit keep insisting on teenage dumb movies? People said that this movie is great, but not even jennifer lawrence save this crap,i hope the sequels gets better.
  82. Nov 29, 2013
    Alright, I was hyped for this movie, and I was somewhat let down by it. I loved the book series, and I guess I should have known that movies based off books aren't going to be as good.
  83. Nov 21, 2013
    A cliché, predictable, boring, eventless and poorly presented movie. It borrows age-old tricks from video games and does them poorly. Absolutely nothing to see here.
  84. Apr 16, 2012
    THE HUNGER GAMES is a raw and brutal vision of the future, where annually two tributes from each of the twelve districts in Panem (once the United States) fight to the death in the Hunger Games, a fight to the death that is televised for the world to see. The film has a brilliant premise, and remained perfectly true to the book.
  85. Mar 25, 2012
    First of, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Had to round. 2nd this is a great film. Book pretty good, movie great. Acting good, visuals good, and score is good. You need to see this film. This is a great start to a hopefully successful series.
  86. Dec 20, 2012
    I can see why people don't like this movie. For what it's worth- I really liked it. i thought it was well done, the effects are nicely done. However, it's a good movie. Not the best movie ever made, but still, a well done film that isn't to be overlooked.
  87. Mar 24, 2012
    Wonderful movie that moves along more quickly than one thinks. The acting is first rate and the movie has a nervous edge throughout. It is very thought provoking as any parent would not know what to do considering the future of our planet. Still feeling queasy.
  88. Dec 1, 2012
    Spoilers. Although I have not read the book, "The Hunger Games" is an excellently-done film full of great acting, beautiful direction and truly raw drama and emotion. The violence in this film is not easy to see - where other action films often glorify brutal combat between grown men with guns, this movie is about a televised deathmatch between teens and even kids. The tension between theSpoilers. Although I have not read the book, "The Hunger Games" is an excellently-done film full of great acting, beautiful direction and truly raw drama and emotion. The violence in this film is not easy to see - where other action films often glorify brutal combat between grown men with guns, this movie is about a televised deathmatch between teens and even kids. The tension between the characters is viscerally palpable, and the hate and fear everyone lives in is one you end up feeling as well. When the games start, the suspense is tangible and startlingly authentic, and you are genuinely shocked when the violence breaks out. When Katniss's friend is killed, you feel her emotion, and the riot that breaks out in District 11 afterwards is communicated with spellbinding power. And at the end, when you learn the feelings of Cado, it is a moment that quiets you into submission, and shows how even the tough and violent kid is, ultimately, as scared and hopeless as the rest of them. It's an epic commentary and a very powerful film, and so earns a good 5 stars for its cinematic execution. Expand
  89. Aug 19, 2012
    To be totally honest, I didn't like the book. But the movie was a lot better. Very suspenseful, rich plot, several twists, and unexpected surprises around every corner, you need to see this movie.
  90. Mar 3, 2014
    Katniss everdeen is a beacon of courage. When I first read the novel I fell in love with this series. The movie was great and so was the sequel. Amazing!
  91. Mar 24, 2012
    Oh sinnerman where u gone run to? where u gone run 2? Its She-Robinhood of Sherwood Forest. Read it. Breakthrough film introduce younger audiences hunger for blood and gore instead of family friendly Disney. Made Twilight look like a cartoon but its a bit cold and dry. Direction+Art is SUPERB! Not borrowed. Original!
  92. Apr 18, 2012
    I liked the film but I nearly got up and walked out as soon as the shaky camera work began. Its a lazy filmmakers attempt to gin up anxiety. I was a little surprised to see a cautionary tale on authoritarian government in this age of nanny stateism and political correctness. Perhaps the next generations rebelliousness will be to return us to constitutional government and liberty. MaybeI liked the film but I nearly got up and walked out as soon as the shaky camera work began. Its a lazy filmmakers attempt to gin up anxiety. I was a little surprised to see a cautionary tale on authoritarian government in this age of nanny stateism and political correctness. Perhaps the next generations rebelliousness will be to return us to constitutional government and liberty. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I can hope. Expand
  93. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Extraordinary film! But, I did feel it left out to much. The book gave way more information (like always) but, I felt it was a little peculiar that they left out Madge's character. Katniss's bestfriend and the girl that gave her the pin. I didn't picture the cornucopia like the movie's version. But, that doesn't matter. It was a great film. Brought me to tears at least 3 times and it was full of great acting. Expand
  94. Aug 10, 2012
    Exciting yet incredibly uncomfortable/unnerving all at the same time, this film delivers a powerful message, but eventually wears out its welcome, running about a half hour too long.
  95. Mar 9, 2015
    The Hunger Games o "Los Juegos del Hambre" es entretenimiento increíble, polémico e interesante. Después de ver que la trama era sobre un futuro Apocalipsis, donde todos los niños y adolescentes pelean a muerte en una arena de combate y al final solo uno puede sobrevivir; me intereso muchísimo y e de decir que cuando termine la pelicula, me quede con ganas de mas; tanto así que comencé aThe Hunger Games o "Los Juegos del Hambre" es entretenimiento increíble, polémico e interesante. Después de ver que la trama era sobre un futuro Apocalipsis, donde todos los niños y adolescentes pelean a muerte en una arena de combate y al final solo uno puede sobrevivir; me intereso muchísimo y e de decir que cuando termine la pelicula, me quede con ganas de mas; tanto así que comencé a leer la trilogía. En términos de adaptación, es pasable, hay muchos cambios y muchos cortes, pero la cinta es objetiva, entretenida, llena de suspenso, violencia, critica política y Amor. The Hunger Games es sin duda un film brutal, con una critica fuerte hacia el gobierno. Expand
  96. Dec 12, 2013
    Great acting and fresh direction make 'The Hunger Games' a great watch, but it can get predictable and sometimes the camera movements get a bit distracting.
  97. Jan 11, 2015
    A thrilling action-packed film with the strong lead character of Katniss Everdeen. A great first installment in the Hunger Games series. It's much better than your normal book teen obsession. *cough* Twilight *cough*
  98. Sep 2, 2012
    I think this movie is very good, but the book, gives much more detail then then the movie. Some people didn't like the movie because it didn't have enough action. I think it had enough action in it. The movie plot is good enough to keep you into the movie fro start to finish. The movie has a very good cast which could get this movie an oscar nom. This is not an oscar movie but the cast inI think this movie is very good, but the book, gives much more detail then then the movie. Some people didn't like the movie because it didn't have enough action. I think it had enough action in it. The movie plot is good enough to keep you into the movie fro start to finish. The movie has a very good cast which could get this movie an oscar nom. This is not an oscar movie but the cast in the movie could bump it up and get it a nom. If it does get a nom it will be a just barely. Good movie and great book. Expand
  99. Nov 3, 2012
    This review contains fairly major spoilers about half way through (you have been warned)!

The Hunger Games is an amazing movie filled with suspense. The action scenes are incredibly tense and quick, as you watch the film, you become nervous, it is very engaging, questions will pop up in your head: What's gonna happen to everyone, who will die next, what will the actual hunger games be like, who will be picked to compete, what the heck is going on (only if you didn't read the writing at the start, if you don't read it, you'll have no idea what's going on!)?! The plot is interesting and makes you anxious, it has much depth, but it is a little confusing, and the character building is slightly off, you don't get to know the characters incredibly well, but saying that, you do get a big idea of what they are like, and when a character dies and/or something bad to them happens, you do get emotional, either on the verge of crying or mildly weeping, one particular character, from district 11, when she dies, you cry, and you fill really sorry for her (presumably) dad. It is amazingly gripping, the whole thing is. Another thing: the people who made this must of worked insanely hard to make it an amazing experience to watch, because the whole thing is incredibly tense and exciting; the compelling and not too complex plot, the impressive special effects, the great acting, the suspense, the exiting action sequences, the extremely well-fitted music, the well done dialogue and the perfectly done camera angles are the things that make it so amazing to watch! The only things stopping this brilliant movie from getting a 10 are: the character building thing, the fact that the actor of the main character is definitely not a teenager, and the slightly over the top makeup. So I give this film a 9.5/10.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 26, 2012
    The result is an evasive, baffling, unexciting production - anything but a classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Mar 23, 2012
    Ross manages to keep the pacing remarkably swift, given that the games themselves don't start until halfway through the 144-minute running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 23, 2012
    Katniss is gritty, she's flinty, she's intimidating -- and she doesn't have to compromise one iota of her femininity for it. And Ross' movie tells her story wonderfully.