7.0

1. Jul 23, 2014
    Based on the bestselling books for young adults the Hunger Games is a set in a world where, in order to keep the population under control, two children from each of the twelve districts are chosen to compete a two week trial in which only one can survive.

I haven't read the books but throughout the movie I got the sense that certain elements have been left underdeveloped and toned down
    in order to maintain a reasonable running time and ensure a rating that would allow fans of the books to see it. In large part thanks to the central performance by, the always excellent, Jennifer Lawrence however The Hunger Games still makes for a relatively entertaining watch. It is well shot and moves along at a good pace with just enough tension to keep things from become too predictable.

Not a classic but certainly worth a watch.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    Aunque posee varios movimientos de cámara y sus efectos visuales son bastante pobres, es una película interesante que te atrapa, una trama que debemos agradecer a Suzanne Collins, e interpretaciones respetables.
  3. Jun 11, 2014
    The movie was so in deep in times it was actually very epic. The movie was similar to the book in the basics at least. The actual hunger games part of the movie was not only very epic but very thrilling and suspenseful. This movie got a lot of hate, mainly because people thought that it was too much of a 'movie' and not enough of a 'story', im not even to quite sure what that means but im guessing it means the movie wasn't telling enough story. Of course very unlike the book itself. I think the movie is better than the book, mainly because im not a big reader. But if I were to actually think about it and focus on every little part and listened to others, I would say the book is better than the movie.. Expand
  4. May 30, 2014
    "The Hunger Games" marks a spectacular introduction to the franchise. With dramatic violence, incredible performances, and a intimate/epic story telling it is a film that you would watch over & over again.
  5. May 18, 2014
    It's kinda nice and watchable. Background story is great. But it lacks depth. Some moments are really weird and not in a good way ... The costume design is awesome, very creative!
  6. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much wasted potential. I really loved the good dystopian atmosphere of the movie beginning, but when it came to the games - it started becoming less good. The strange turn of events, unnecessarily lengthy cheesy and "dramatic" sequences. I didn't like the thing that there were fireballs thrown to the main character and those giant dogs in the end. Just kills all the immersion. The other thing I didn't like - the main hero is not just so good, she just always gets lucky, so that means any other lucky guy can be on her place, I mean you can't see why she is the one to win, there is always someone/something to help her. Otherwise the actors are good, I always like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson on screen. Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie though I do not regret the wasted time. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2014
    i love the hunger games it shows us if we dont change our society now there will be a world war 3
  8. Apr 19, 2014
    Not bad, but lacking in many aspects. While the scenery is stunning, character development seems rather insufficient and the pacing of the film is somewhat awkward. Furthermore, it is obvious that all the techniques employed during action sequences were intended to tone down the violence to a childish level (to maintain a PG-13 rating perhaps, which would certainly guarantee a better box office performance). The violence is an important aspect of the story, and such blatant toning-down is simply unacceptable. Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is one of the best movies that I have seen. It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen, who has to go to the hunger games for the second time in her life. She has to fight for her life which can also affect on the whole worlds destiny.
    Everyone should totally watch Hunger Games. It is really popular and everyone has seen it. If you haven't seen it yet you should watch it
    right now! Expand
  10. Apr 12, 2014
    I give this rating 4/10 because i watched it to many times they make dumb choices in the movie .
    Grade for hunger games B
    Grade for catching fire D.
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    Nice film. It makes a nice discourse based on the book's message with an awesome performance from Jennifer Lawrence and a direction and production that worth it.
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    Seriously, **** this film. It is awful. I'm not going into detail because it would take hours for me to go over everything that makes this thing unwatchable. Suffice to say it's just a senseless story driven by insufferably irritating characters and a string of convenient plot devices that sporadically fade in and out of relevance. If you want a film about a brutal death match, watch battle royale. If you want a film about ridiculous angst ridden teenage romance, watch twilight. If you want a film that tries to include a death match and a convoluted teenage romance and fails at both, watch the hunger games. Expand
  13. Apr 1, 2014
    The Hunger Games movie is an excellent adaption of the great book of the same name and I think that it should be accepted as it is. I think the movie did a grand job of following the original book even though it's definitely not as violent as the book. The characters were great and the acting is overall good from mostly everyone, Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job playing Katniss. The camera was pretty shaky overall at times which I know was a common complaint but I must say that it was still overall pretty view able as a movie goes. The action was also great and I did like the suspense portrayed throughout this film. Overall, The Hunger Games film is a faithful adaption that may still have some issues from time to time but it still a great film. If you like the book, I'm sure you'll enjoy this film. Expand
  14. Mar 26, 2014
    This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie. Overall this film is fantastic. Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2014
    Dat was awesome, thank you for making a movie out of the book. One thing doe you forgot to include Madge. Otherwise it was awesome. While most movies based on books are horrible, this was ok.
  16. Mar 12, 2014
    honestly for the longest time after I saw this on netflix, I thought it was a slower, duller american remake of "battle royale", without any of the fun black humor. now that I know that's apparently not true, I now think of this movie as just slow, dull and without any sense of humor.
  17. Mar 8, 2014
    This was an unwatchable, tedious, ass-numbing, bore of a movie; not worthy of even “made for TV” status. The acting was stilted and wooden; Jennifer Lawrence is creepy looking and unattractive. Honestly the whole thing was a mess from start to finish. Save your money and opt out of the remaining movies now; doubtful they will get any better.
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    Katniss everdeen is a beacon of courage. When I first read the novel I fell in love with this series. The movie was great and so was the sequel. Amazing!
  19. Feb 4, 2014
    Not being the most original film, it catches this dystopian future decorated with some life mottoes. Panem, the jungle-world, creates a place,in a grotesque manner, for the contestants to show their skills in a way that every human being is reduced to it's basic survival feeling. I think all that matters it's the motivation. First two districts are led by fame and arrogance antithetical to last district that is led by love. The protagonist shows that even in this life-threatening scenario we can form an alliance based on true friendship and there is a hope that in the end people could regain their humanity. Expand
  20. Feb 1, 2014
    Normally, when it comes to book, video game or cartoon characters being turned into movies, they usually have a mediocre or negative reception. Examples of this include Super Mario Bros (1993 film), Scooby Doo (2002 film) and the whole friggin Twilight movie series (seriously, why did they make more if the original sucked??)

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film,
    and here is why. It starts out with Katniss searching for food for the family when there is an announcement that the 74th Hunger Games contestants are going to be picked out. At first, it was supposed to be Rosemary, Katniss' sister but Katniss goes instead because she cannot bear to see her sister die. A series of events happen after this like the training, the interviews, the actual fights itself were awesome as well. I loved this movie and despite the hate that it gets, it is still a great movie. Expand
  21. Jan 26, 2014
    Mhm, I read the book and watched the movie about a year later. I really liked it, enjoyed it throughout it all. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good, only thing that annoyed me was fighting scenes in the dark and the TOO shaky movement of the camera (at times, sometimes it actually fit in with the atmosphere).
    Recommended.
  22. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is well written, acted and shot, however the beauty of it seems unnatural with its dark themes. I feel this film (along with the book series) is built more for a 'Harry Potter' audience and is to watered down for it's adult themes.
  23. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is just a copy of Battle Royale, it's plagiarism. There's nothing new here, there's nothing stunning or amazing it's just a film to take your money and is a big hollywood fail.
  24. Jan 3, 2014
    Let me warn you: If you have not read the book you will have no idea what is going on. I watched this with my father, who never read the book, and I had to explain EVERYTHING to him. I, being a fan of the trilogy, thought it was fine. Undeniably flawed, but still a decent flick.
  25. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best dystopian fiction holds a mirror up to our own society, extrapolating current trends to extreme endpoints. Here, in a grim future America, the gaudy citizens of the Capital lead lives of leisure amid the glittering spires of their neo-classical metropolis while the Appalachian miners of District 12 carve a meagre living straight out of the Great Depression. Every year, they are forced to participate in their oppressors’ sadistic version reality TV (with brilliantly over the top X-factor style commentary): the titular Hunger Games, an annual gladiatorial combat between children, in which the sole survivor emerges as victor.

The face of the revolution is the teenage Katniss (Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) whose strong performance drives a film which is otherwise far from subtle. Yet there’s no doubt that this film is thoroughly exciting and engaging. For a start, the young actors here are miles better than the cast of the cheesy ‘80s slasher flicks I’ve been watching lately.

The weakest part of the story is the attempted love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale which started in the last film. It pales in comparison to the wider struggle of the story and is perhaps wisely downplayed. Gale (Liam Hemsworth, who somehow has third billing) is a childhood friend of Katniss, but feels like a redundant character, appearing in very few scenes to give the TV a jealous glance whenever he sees Peeta, who has infinitely more screen time.
  26. Dec 21, 2013
    I have found the movie has bad acting, the animations are not realistic and the plot was very bad. The scenes looked very 'bright and happy', so did the soldiers uniforms, also, is it just me or does everyone have clothes always look good as new and the characters have minimal amounts of dirt on them too?

In the movie story things that are extremely unlikely happened then something else
    extremely unlikely happened to make it follow the book.

All that said, I am definitely not going to watch the sequels.
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    Great acting and fresh direction make 'The Hunger Games' a great watch, but it can get predictable and sometimes the camera movements get a bit distracting.
  28. Dec 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hunger Games was written by American novelist, Suzanne Collins and was published and released in autumn 2008. The breathtaking book is about a girl in a poor District with The Hunger Games in the capitol once a year to fight until death. When her sister is taken out to do this challenge, what will Katniss do to save her sister?
    Gary Ross, 56, an American director, writer and author who wrote and directed this appalling version of an amazing book. He took the feeling out of the words Collins wrote and should be ashamed of himself.
    It was released in the UK in March 2012 and the total box office amount was £457,295,652. Many people, including myself, were clearly disappointed as we wanted to get the feeling we got with Collins’ books but instead I sat through a poor version with terrible acting.
    A man coming out of the cinema said “They couldn’t act. Stone faced, that’s what they were”. If I were Suzanne Collins I would feel utterly embarrassed to say that was based on a book I wrote.
    Jennifer Lawrence, 22, is a beautiful and talented actress but i felt her part was extremely flat but, of course, i put the blame on Gary Ross as he was responsible.
    The script was forced, terrible and completely horrendous! It made me cringe! Some of the memorable lines from the movie were taken from the book but having them being read aloud instead of reading them in your head ruined the experience. As well as the terrible script, there were also technical difficulties like when the camera would jerk and everyone in the screening room would feel suspense but Ross was building up to nothing. I am not an expert in special effects but to me, it looked like a student in primary school doing it for the first time and hoping for the best! It was an attempt to be serious but they failed miserably.
    With a budget of £51.6m, they should’ve hired a decent camera-man as to not make the whole film look like a school play!
    Overall, I give this despicable mess of a movie 0.5 of a star because they based it on an excellent book and I recommend you reading the book!
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    The Hunger Games can be summed up like this: the good is heavily outweighed by the bad. Only fans of the books should view it to see if they can get an ounce of satisfaction from the film adaptation. For everyone else, don't waste your time.
  30. Dec 8, 2013
    The movie has it's moments but then it becomes hard to imagine the world where 23 kids are killed every year on a live tv show just for entertainment of the others.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 26, 2012
    The result is an evasive, baffling, unexciting production - anything but a classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Mar 23, 2012
    Ross manages to keep the pacing remarkably swift, given that the games themselves don't start until halfway through the 144-minute running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 23, 2012
    Katniss is gritty, she's flinty, she's intimidating -- and she doesn't have to compromise one iota of her femininity for it. And Ross' movie tells her story wonderfully.