7.0

1. Jan 30, 2013
    The Hunger Games is a decent movie taken from a book... A book which in turn takes it's elements from films like Battle Royale and The Running Man. Talk about cyclical! The Hunger Games shines when viewed as a character piece (Jennifer Lawrence's performance is excellent) or as a slight meditation on social greed and the notion of celebrity. That said, the movie has it's faults. TheThe Hunger Games is a decent movie taken from a book... A book which in turn takes it's elements from films like Battle Royale and The Running Man. Talk about cyclical! The Hunger Games shines when viewed as a character piece (Jennifer Lawrence's performance is excellent) or as a slight meditation on social greed and the notion of celebrity. That said, the movie has it's faults. The primary one being the lack of stirring action sequences. The editing and pacing of these scenes when they do arrive are simply unexciting. One thing I will say though is that the violence is tastefully neutered. I have no desire to see young children graphically killed and was mercifully spared from doing so. Ultimately, The Hunger Games was an entertaining movie that I enjoyed. Not nearly as much as Battle Royale, however. Expand
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    The Hunger Games was overall a good movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly and feel like it did an extremely good job connecting you with it's characters. This film is exciting and engaging. The entire cast did a good job in this film and I would easily recommend this film to friends. The only problem that I had with this film is that sometimes when there were characters being killed the cameraThe Hunger Games was overall a good movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly and feel like it did an extremely good job connecting you with it's characters. This film is exciting and engaging. The entire cast did a good job in this film and I would easily recommend this film to friends. The only problem that I had with this film is that sometimes when there were characters being killed the camera got very shaky making it hard to tell what's going on sometimes but this was most likely an attempt to avoid a "R" rating. All and all The Hunger Games is a good movie and very entertaining! Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2013
    All in all, it's an enjoyable movie. Because I read the book, the movie didn't seem rushed, but keeping the book out of mind, the movie seems to be quirkily put together. It is an enjoyable story, and entertaining nonetheless. Jennifer Lawrence, again, does a fantastic job.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    I like this movie a lot, the action and stuff. Nice movie.
  5. Jan 7, 2013
    It wasn't that bad but quite disappointing compared to the books. I think Jennifer Lawrence did a wonderful job. But Josh Hutcherson wasn't a best choice for Peeta.
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    Keyword to this movie is overrated! I was sure it would not live up to the hype but it did not even come close. It is the most overrated movie from last year. It was also kind of strange.
  7. Dec 29, 2012
    The movie is great. What I like about this movie is that every time u watch it, you find different interesting things. I think the story is great and the movie is very well-done.
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    More than a decade ago, there was another sci-fi movie whose main statement wasn't so much in the plot or the characters (which were great, nevertheless), but in the aesthetics of the world depicted. That film was Gattaca, and The Hunger Games does the same, just in the opposite way: Gattaca was a dystopic society with a marvellous taste, while in the world of the Games the bad taste saysMore than a decade ago, there was another sci-fi movie whose main statement wasn't so much in the plot or the characters (which were great, nevertheless), but in the aesthetics of the world depicted. That film was Gattaca, and The Hunger Games does the same, just in the opposite way: Gattaca was a dystopic society with a marvellous taste, while in the world of the Games the bad taste says it all. Gary Ross and his team were brave enough to take such horrible outfits, hairstyles and television cliches to the big-screen, and make them the silent and haunting connection between the fiction and us. Expand
  9. Dec 21, 2012
    One of the best book adaptations of all time.
    Intense and surreal. As a bookworm, I could say that reading the book of course is better but watching this is so extreme that you just have to watch it fervently. I loved it. 10 out of 10.1 :D
  10. Dec 20, 2012
    I can see why people don't like this movie. For what it's worth- I really liked it. i thought it was well done, the effects are nicely done. However, it's a good movie. Not the best movie ever made, but still, a well done film that isn't to be overlooked.
  11. Zal
    Dec 20, 2012
    When I heard The Hunger Games was going to be turned into a movie, I was worried about how it would translate to film. I'm not a die hard fan of the series nor do I think the series is perfect, but I do respect it and its intentions.

Overall, I think this movie was good. As I suspected, there were some problems translating the material to film and I don't blame this on the director, writers, actors, or anyone else. I knew the violence would be toned down because PG-13 movies have strict guidelines. I also knew that we wouldn't get much of Katniss's inner struggle since cinema is a "show me" medium where as literature is not.

The acting is spectacular, especially from Jennifer Lawrence. Banks and Harrelson were having the time of their life filming this.

The world of Panem has a very Star Wars-y feel which you may or may not like. Personally, I liked it.

I think what would have helped this movie is if they made it longer. Yes, it's already 2 hrs and 30 min, but THG deserves the Lord of the Rings treatment. It's a big story that should be told in full detail. Like those who read the books, I wish it could have been more violent but I think we all knew that that could never happen without this movie being a hard R.

While there are many, many flaws, THG was well made. They didn't do the best they could have done with this movie, but it's still a solid movie.
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    I liked the plot of this film, the post-apocalyptic era and the twisted way to punish the kids by holding annual games in which they have to kill to win, pretty disturbing yet exciting. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was really great. May the odds be ever in her favor.
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    The near perfect adaptation that the book deserved. Jennifer Lawrence shows that she truly is a rising star in Hollywood as she gives a flawless performance as heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Banks is surprising great as Effie, and Stanley Tucci solidifies himself as one of the best character actors around and one of the most underrated actors. The Hunger Games was intense andThe near perfect adaptation that the book deserved. Jennifer Lawrence shows that she truly is a rising star in Hollywood as she gives a flawless performance as heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Banks is surprising great as Effie, and Stanley Tucci solidifies himself as one of the best character actors around and one of the most underrated actors. The Hunger Games was intense and stylish. I loved it! Expand
  14. Dec 1, 2012
    Spoilers. Although I have not read the book, "The Hunger Games" is an excellently-done film full of great acting, beautiful direction and truly raw drama and emotion. The violence in this film is not easy to see - where other action films often glorify brutal combat between grown men with guns, this movie is about a televised deathmatch between teens and even kids. The tension between theSpoilers. Although I have not read the book, "The Hunger Games" is an excellently-done film full of great acting, beautiful direction and truly raw drama and emotion. The violence in this film is not easy to see - where other action films often glorify brutal combat between grown men with guns, this movie is about a televised deathmatch between teens and even kids. The tension between the characters is viscerally palpable, and the hate and fear everyone lives in is one you end up feeling as well. When the games start, the suspense is tangible and startlingly authentic, and you are genuinely shocked when the violence breaks out. When Katniss's friend is killed, you feel her emotion, and the riot that breaks out in District 11 afterwards is communicated with spellbinding power. And at the end, when you learn the feelings of Cado, it is a moment that quiets you into submission, and shows how even the tough and violent kid is, ultimately, as scared and hopeless as the rest of them. It's an epic commentary and a very powerful film, and so earns a good 5 stars for its cinematic execution. Expand
  15. Dec 1, 2012
    The Hunger Games is a big blockbuster that knows how to do a film mixing action, drama, fiction, romance and adventure. I felt, when i just leave the theater after watching this film, original like it is, that a new phenomenon was born. I was right. Waiting for the sequel "Catching Fire", but while it doesn't get into the theaters, we have to enjoy this great movie.
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    Smart, sophisticated, and toting an exceedingly superb lead performance, "The Hunger Games" not only nails expectations - it exceeds them.
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    Admittedly, I was already tired to begin with when I started watching this movie (which resulted in me falling asleep halfway and missing around 60% of the awful movie). Either way, I don't understand the hype about this movie. It wasn't good at all, it was terrible. Terrible actors, terrible everything. I don't recommend this for anyone to watch. The only reason I'm rating it 3, is to beAdmittedly, I was already tired to begin with when I started watching this movie (which resulted in me falling asleep halfway and missing around 60% of the awful movie). Either way, I don't understand the hype about this movie. It wasn't good at all, it was terrible. Terrible actors, terrible everything. I don't recommend this for anyone to watch. The only reason I'm rating it 3, is to be fair. But seriously though, it was awful. Expand
  18. Nov 25, 2012
    An eccentric future. People wear wierd makeup and have blue hair. I'm listening. Children killing each other. I'm listening. A fully developed world that truly makes me believe that this place could exist 300 years from now. I'm sold. This movie creates a place in time, and I feel like I'm there. Check.
  19. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I had never heard of the Hunger Games series prior to the film coming out, proof if needed that I'm obviously not a 'young adult anymore! the other half came in with this the other day so I gave into the hype and gave it a go.
    What's it all about? Set in a fictional American dystopian future, a new nation called Panem is divided into 12 distinct districts and
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Set in a fictional American dystopian future, a new nation called Panem is divided into 12 distinct districts and controlled by the powerful and rich Capitol. As punishment for an uprising some years before, The Capitol organise a yearly competition known as the Hunger Games where each district must send 2 competitors, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18, known as tributes. The children are left to fight until the death until only one survives and is declared the champion. Should you watch it?
    I was largely non-fussed by The Hunger Games. Having not read the books I've no idea how the adaptation compares but as a standalone film it wasn't bad but it wasn't too great either. The story borrows elements from The Truman Show, Running Man and Blade Runner among others. I should plead ignorance in having not yet seen Battle Royale, but I'm aware that the plot is remarkably similar. The point being that the plot is not awfully original.

The directing and editing in the districts did not work for me. The shaky camera work and chop editing might have been selected to create a sense of disorganisation and panic in the districts during tribute selection but I found it too much. Another gripe I had was the use of flashbacks by Gary Ross. Flashbacks of unseen footage provide the viewer with an opportunity to see what has previously occured and can be plot aids but why did Ross choose to show flashbacks of scenes we had already seen, one in particular several times over. I clearly missed the importance of the scene.

I felt the film was dumbed down in places, definitely in terms of violence, which I can understand with this being a Hollywood production with children involved but also with some of the script. A prime example being at the end when the game organiser announces that the rules are being changed spontaneously again, It is so obvious what the rule change is going to be but yet the characters are made to listen to the full announcement with a few more seconds afterwards to digest the ramifications.

There are decent performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Allen so its far from all bad.
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    It has good acting and a great atmosphere, but after an interesting first half it becomes ultimately too tame and predictable to be considered great.
  21. Nov 7, 2012
    Never read the books and never will. Only watched this because my dad bought it for my sister. That being said, It was actually pretty good. Plenty of action, well acted, and it was entertaining. I wouldn't mind sitting through the sequel.
  22. Nov 5, 2012
    Feels kind of like a giant game of paintball. The setting is convoluted and the characters go undeveloped. I want to call it a missed opportunity, but I couldn't tell you what I think that opportunity is.
  23. Nov 3, 2012
    This review contains fairly major spoilers about half way through (you have been warned)!

The Hunger Games is an amazing movie filled with suspense. The action scenes are incredibly tense and quick, as you watch the film, you become nervous, it is very engaging, questions will pop up in your head: What's gonna happen to everyone, who will die next, what will the actual hunger games be like, who will be picked to compete, what the heck is going on (only if you didn't read the writing at the start, if you don't read it, you'll have no idea what's going on!)?! The plot is interesting and makes you anxious, it has much depth, but it is a little confusing, and the character building is slightly off, you don't get to know the characters incredibly well, but saying that, you do get a big idea of what they are like, and when a character dies and/or something bad to them happens, you do get emotional, either on the verge of crying or mildly weeping, one particular character, from district 11, when she dies, you cry, and you fill really sorry for her (presumably) dad. It is amazingly gripping, the whole thing is. Another thing: the people who made this must of worked insanely hard to make it an amazing experience to watch, because the whole thing is incredibly tense and exciting; the compelling and not too complex plot, the impressive special effects, the great acting, the suspense, the exiting action sequences, the extremely well-fitted music, the well done dialogue and the perfectly done camera angles are the things that make it so amazing to watch! The only things stopping this brilliant movie from getting a 10 are: the character building thing, the fact that the actor of the main character is definitely not a teenager, and the slightly over the top makeup. So I give this film a 9.5/10.
  24. Oct 26, 2012
    Sad, thought-provoking, deep, emotional, and downright depressing these are the words I would use to describe The Hunger Games. I've never read the book, but this movie has made me want to. It's an absolutely emotional film. The characters are absolutely extremely well done. So much so in fact that I wanted to know more and more about them, including the minor and villain characters. If ISad, thought-provoking, deep, emotional, and downright depressing these are the words I would use to describe The Hunger Games. I've never read the book, but this movie has made me want to. It's an absolutely emotional film. The characters are absolutely extremely well done. So much so in fact that I wanted to know more and more about them, including the minor and villain characters. If I had one complaint it would be that some scenes aren't as detailed as they should be. A problem I believe they had because they couldn't fit all the details from the book into the movie. This is a movie I do recommend, just keep in mind it's a pretty brutal film. Expand
  25. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think that The hunger games is one of the best movie ever and if you don't agree with me I can say that you are very stuped person! This is my opinion! Expand
  26. Oct 22, 2012
    The Hunger Games stomps the Twilight saga flat, and though I found those films somewhat amusing, this one is the real deal... http://www.facebook.com/ElvisPresleySonElvisAaronPresleyJr
  27. Oct 15, 2012
    Despite a few minor problems, The Hunger Games proves to be a promising start to what will no doubt become the next beloved Hollywood mega-series ,The new Twilight? We don't think so. This is much better . . .
  28. Oct 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thrilling,Engaging and entertaining dystopian action sci-fiction flick. Really liked the visuals and all the action scenes. This is the real deal of Dram and action. Screenplay,costumes and make up all are decent. Especially the make up and movie sets are very beautiful and elegant which make the people from novel come to life. Now,considering the novel,this movie adaption misses a few things i wanted to see onscreen. One is I expected it to be more violent onscreen with a R Rating but they made PG-13 Stuff, i don't know why,to make more money i guess. That shaky cinematography too. some of the important messages had been cut down. These things really disappoint me because i loved the novel and wanted it to be more precise. other than that it is good popcorn entertainer. Loved Jennifer Lawrence though. Acting is far far better than that Kristen-NO-Expression-Stewart. Not only Jennifer but all the actors did their job very good. Now looking forward to sequels.Hope they will be better. Expand
  29. Oct 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose herThe Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose her enemies and fall in love to win the hearts of the viewers and to increase her chances of survival.
    The films special effects are good, the larger ones are noticeable but the smaller ones not so much making it fit in with the reality or not feel to it not to mention the top notch acting. The Hunger Games is one of 2012's unmissable films.
  30. Oct 2, 2012
    If you didnt know what this movie is based off of its based off the book The Hunger Games. I think the directors did a pretty poor job on this movie because they cut out pretty important parts from the book. I just got done reading the book, a few days ago and it is a really good book,the movie,eh. One thing i didnt like is the casting because the girl who played Katniss doesnt really fitIf you didnt know what this movie is based off of its based off the book The Hunger Games. I think the directors did a pretty poor job on this movie because they cut out pretty important parts from the book. I just got done reading the book, a few days ago and it is a really good book,the movie,eh. One thing i didnt like is the casting because the girl who played Katniss doesnt really fit the character and Peeta's actor is ugly,just saying. If you havent read the book dont watch this movie because you will have no idea what the hell is going on at all. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 26, 2012
    The result is an evasive, baffling, unexciting production - anything but a classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Mar 23, 2012
    Ross manages to keep the pacing remarkably swift, given that the games themselves don't start until halfway through the 144-minute running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 23, 2012
    Katniss is gritty, she's flinty, she's intimidating -- and she doesn't have to compromise one iota of her femininity for it. And Ross' movie tells her story wonderfully.