7.0

1. Nov 26, 2014
    Plain shallow .. This movie has some potential as far as setting and theme go but they to choose to do absolute **** with it.. Its slow, boring , deaths are uneventful.. The overall plot of the movie can be seen through about 20 minutes into the flick.. If not for the beautiful Lawrence , I hadn't even watched it through to the end..
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    The Hunger Games es una película que te intriga y entretiene desde que empieza hasta que termina, con mucha acción y grandes actuaciones por parte de todos. Es totalmente una gran película de Ciencia-Ficción.
  3. Nov 22, 2014
    Una película totalmente sobrevalorada, con unos personajes tan estúpidos como poco interesantes y una trama absurda. Aunque, si la tengo que comparar con las otras dos que la preceden, esta me parece mejor. Al menos tenía un poco el elemento sorpresa y el final fue algo mejor.
    Pero vamos, que como película no vale mucho...
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    What really bums me out about this movie is that is had incredible potential. The storyline was primed to be a great blockbuster with tons of action and great moments. The writers never got this to perdition. The "climax" in the movie is basically nonexistent with the ending being equally crappy.
  5. Nov 9, 2014
    A solid start to a promising franchise, The Hunger Games thrills with good action sequences and a brilliant performance by Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.
  6. Oct 19, 2014
    Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.
    Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
  7. Oct 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is a sweet fantasy, since the cinematography until the story. The Cast is glorious with a great performance. During the course of the movie, the actions scenes brings action to the viewer. Sometimes the story is predictable like the romance between Peeta e Katniss. In the general is awesome!
  8. Oct 7, 2014
    I don't understand what got this movie so hyped and successful...I haven't read the books and yet I can't help but think this has totally been done before. Maybe you remember the 1980s film The Running Man? Arnold...anyone? When you make a movie with a plot that has already been done, you better have some extra fire power to back it up. Of which this movie had little to none. The characters had very little and/or significant development. I didn't feel bad when they died, enough said. Wasn't that the girl from the movie Orphan? That movie was sick! (the good kind of sick) You monsters diminished her talent! And Jennifer Lawrence, just didn't have the edge I feel like a girl in her situation would need, sure she can shoot, but what good is that when there's no fire? Where's the animal kill or be killed instinct? No believable feeling. And there's no one else better than her to eventually be the one who takes down the bad guys? Her performance makes that tough to believe. Terrible. And there's more of the series to come. Wow. I don't think they can salvage this. But how cute, they're going to try. Expand
  9. Sep 28, 2014
    I don't think a movie aimed for teenage girls can be any better. In this view, 10/10 is deserved. But as an actual film, 7 seems fair to me. Maybe even 8.
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    The constant comparisons to the novel from which it came are destined to tear down this film--but that's just not fair, it's really quite remarkable. Jennifer Lawrence and her fellow cast members bring this extraordinary tale to life on-screen.
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    Let's kick off this review by stating that I haven't read the book(s) this movie is based on. Hence it's all about the movie and not book-to-film translation (before I read the books, anyway).

The idea behind the story is compelling, gruesome and quite horrible. To choose 24 children to fight each other to the death until only one remains, in order to choke 12 Districts under the
    Capitol's control is something I haven't seen done before.

The Hunger Games, and the way they were presented, was thrilling. The comparison of two different worlds, from far-away Districts to the Capitol, and the way the Games are perceived between the two was brilliant. The preparation of the Tributes for the Games was almost more interesting than the final feat itself, although they balanced it quite nicely.

Most of the Tributes never got all that much time on screen - perhaps to make their deaths seem less important. They had to die, so better not make the audience feel too much for them. The actor performances and characters were well balanced, although the scheming behind the theatrics could have been given more depth. Also, it felt like the creators of the game cheated every now and then, but that's live TV for you; they must make it appealing - in this case by finding ways to control the game.

The visual look of the movie was stunning, between very different worlds, one corporeal and one quite futuristic, all the way to make-up and clothing which finalized the impact of how removed the Capitol truly is from the "real world". It was appalling, in a sense, and you wanted to shake each and every one of those pretentious, naïve, spoiled people. (This is the setting where you can find the social rifts and values of the modern world in a nutshell.)

This film is definitely worth the watch - and I'm eagerly waiting for the sequels and what turns of events they will provide in the already established setting.
  12. Aug 24, 2014
    This film comes across as exploitative and cheap as the games it depicts. As an audience member, I felt shallow, exploitive and confused about whether I should be enjoying this.
    But it is aimed at a younger, less empathetic, and less clever audience.
    Perhaps the irony of watching the watchers is satisfying to some. Personally it left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. I could go into
    the stupid plot-holes, the greyscale-esque blue-and-gold visual delivery, the ending which gives you no emotional reward but... at the end, unlike the running man and the truman show, this never feels anything but shallowly-emotional and forced. Expand
  13. Aug 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is a dystopian science fiction film that keeps its audience on the edge. It is a film that is based in Panem that was once known as North America. Panem is a capital that is rich and is surrounded by 12 districts that are poor. Panem controls each district and forces each of them to present one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 year-olds that will appear in a reality show. This show is not the average everyday reality television show; it is about life and death, literally. Each person is placed in a controlled environment and they are forced to kill one another until the last person is standing. That is until Katniss Everdean changes the game. Katniss is a sixteen year-old girl that is a strong, smart, courageous girl that uses her wit to play the game as well as change the outcome of it.

The beginning of the film is a little drawn out and slow but as it progresses it develops into a film that is full of raw emotion, action and drama. The cinematography, editing and sound is extremely effective with capturing the audience. In the beginning of the film, District 12 appears to be cold and sad. This is because there is not much light and the clothes seems old fashion and lacks color. It is almost like it was made in the 1950’s. This gives the audience a sense of how poor and less worthy these people are portrayed. Whereas, Panem is filled with light, colorful and vibrant. This shows the audience that the town is made of money and that they are worthier than the districts.

The arena where the tributes fight is a controlled environment. It is an environment that embodies the hunt. But they are hunting each other as opposed to animals. Some of the tributes are brutal and love the game and play it with pride. Katniss is different and does not kill for the game but kills for survival and shows that she cares which is why she is able to put a twist on it.

This film is heart breaking and brutal, but it is a must see. Every aspect of this film grabs the audience. It is full of raw emotion, action and drama. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.
  14. Jul 31, 2014
    Based on the bestselling books for young adults the Hunger Games is a set in a world where, in order to keep the population under control, two children from each of the twelve districts are chosen to compete a two week trial in which only one can survive.

I haven't read the books but throughout the movie I got the sense that certain elements have been left underdeveloped and toned down
    in order to maintain a reasonable running time and ensure a rating that would allow fans of the books to see it. In large part thanks to the central performance by, the always excellent, Jennifer Lawrence however The Hunger Games still makes for a relatively entertaining watch. It is well shot and moves along at a good pace with just enough tension to keep things from become too predictable.

Not a classic but certainly worth a watch.
  15. Jul 28, 2014
    Watching "The Hunger Games" was like watching again one of the many young-adult films, that have their protagonist struggle with something superior and manage to beat it. In an all-too-generic plot, Lawrence's Katniss is more than acceptable, even though she does not get the chance to display much more than a girl-turned-hero. One of the most interesting points is that the film does not feature a romance between its protagonists, and this makes it different from other films of the same genre. An unimportant aspect, yes, but one of the very few "originalities" the film has to demonstrate.

A must-see, definitely, at least because you have to know the story in order to watch the much more interesting sequel(s).
  16. Jul 27, 2014
    stupid book adaption...again. copying divergent (the best movie of all time). woo hoo, crossbow wielding katniss everdeen is copying terrel dickson from that one vampire show. katniss is a douche bag. she doesnt help her family get food and steals the spotlight for her soon to be famous sister prinrows. heck, her sister told her she had dreams about getting picked, dont interfere woman. president snowball is so white. the hunger games is a bland book about a protagonist named cato who SPOILER ALERT dies at the end. you couldve killed rue. thanks a lot jennifer lawrence. Expand
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    Aunque posee varios movimientos de cámara y sus efectos visuales son bastante pobres, es una película interesante que te atrapa, una trama que debemos agradecer a Suzanne Collins, e interpretaciones respetables.
  18. Jun 11, 2014
    The movie was so in deep in times it was actually very epic. The movie was similar to the book in the basics at least. The actual hunger games part of the movie was not only very epic but very thrilling and suspenseful. This movie got a lot of hate, mainly because people thought that it was too much of a 'movie' and not enough of a 'story', im not even to quite sure what that means but im guessing it means the movie wasn't telling enough story. Of course very unlike the book itself. I think the movie is better than the book, mainly because im not a big reader. But if I were to actually think about it and focus on every little part and listened to others, I would say the book is better than the movie.. Expand
  19. May 30, 2014
    "The Hunger Games" marks a spectacular introduction to the franchise. With dramatic violence, incredible performances, and a intimate/epic story telling it is a film that you would watch over & over again.
  20. May 18, 2014
    It's kinda nice and watchable. Background story is great. But it lacks depth. Some moments are really weird and not in a good way ... The costume design is awesome, very creative!
  21. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much wasted potential. I really loved the good dystopian atmosphere of the movie beginning, but when it came to the games - it started becoming less good. The strange turn of events, unnecessarily lengthy cheesy and "dramatic" sequences. I didn't like the thing that there were fireballs thrown to the main character and those giant dogs in the end. Just kills all the immersion. The other thing I didn't like - the main hero is not just so good, she just always gets lucky, so that means any other lucky guy can be on her place, I mean you can't see why she is the one to win, there is always someone/something to help her. Otherwise the actors are good, I always like to see Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson on screen. Overall, I didn't enjoy the movie though I do not regret the wasted time. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2014
    i love the hunger games it shows us if we dont change our society now there will be a world war 3
  23. Apr 19, 2014
    Not bad, but lacking in many aspects. While the scenery is stunning, character development seems rather insufficient and the pacing of the film is somewhat awkward. Furthermore, it is obvious that all the techniques employed during action sequences were intended to tone down the violence to a childish level (to maintain a PG-13 rating perhaps, which would certainly guarantee a better box office performance). The violence is an important aspect of the story, and such blatant toning-down is simply unacceptable. Expand
  24. Apr 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is one of the best movies that I have seen. It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen, who has to go to the hunger games for the second time in her life. She has to fight for her life which can also affect on the whole worlds destiny.
    Everyone should totally watch Hunger Games. It is really popular and everyone has seen it. If you haven't seen it yet you should watch it
    right now! Expand
  25. Apr 12, 2014
    I give this rating 4/10 because i watched it to many times they make dumb choices in the movie .
    Grade for hunger games B
    Grade for catching fire D.
  26. Apr 12, 2014
    Nice film. It makes a nice discourse based on the book's message with an awesome performance from Jennifer Lawrence and a direction and production that worth it.
  27. Apr 4, 2014
    Seriously, **** this film. It is awful. I'm not going into detail because it would take hours for me to go over everything that makes this thing unwatchable. Suffice to say it's just a senseless story driven by insufferably irritating characters and a string of convenient plot devices that sporadically fade in and out of relevance. If you want a film about a brutal death match, watch battle royale. If you want a film about ridiculous angst ridden teenage romance, watch twilight. If you want a film that tries to include a death match and a convoluted teenage romance and fails at both, watch the hunger games. Expand
  28. Apr 1, 2014
    The Hunger Games movie is an excellent adaption of the great book of the same name and I think that it should be accepted as it is. I think the movie did a grand job of following the original book even though it's definitely not as violent as the book. The characters were great and the acting is overall good from mostly everyone, Jennifer Lawrence did an excellent job playing Katniss. The camera was pretty shaky overall at times which I know was a common complaint but I must say that it was still overall pretty view able as a movie goes. The action was also great and I did like the suspense portrayed throughout this film. Overall, The Hunger Games film is a faithful adaption that may still have some issues from time to time but it still a great film. If you like the book, I'm sure you'll enjoy this film. Expand
  29. Mar 26, 2014
    This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie. Overall this film is fantastic. Expand
  30. Mar 19, 2014
    Dat was awesome, thank you for making a movie out of the book. One thing doe you forgot to include Madge. Otherwise it was awesome. While most movies based on books are horrible, this was ok.
  31. Mar 12, 2014
    honestly for the longest time after I saw this on netflix, I thought it was a slower, duller american remake of "battle royale", without any of the fun black humor. now that I know that's apparently not true, I now think of this movie as just slow, dull and without any sense of humor.
  32. Mar 8, 2014
    This was an unwatchable, tedious, ass-numbing, bore of a movie; not worthy of even “made for TV” status. The acting was stilted and wooden; Jennifer Lawrence is creepy looking and unattractive. Honestly the whole thing was a mess from start to finish. Save your money and opt out of the remaining movies now; doubtful they will get any better.
  33. Mar 3, 2014
    Katniss everdeen is a beacon of courage. When I first read the novel I fell in love with this series. The movie was great and so was the sequel. Amazing!
  34. Feb 4, 2014
    Not being the most original film, it catches this dystopian future decorated with some life mottoes. Panem, the jungle-world, creates a place,in a grotesque manner, for the contestants to show their skills in a way that every human being is reduced to it's basic survival feeling. I think all that matters it's the motivation. First two districts are led by fame and arrogance antithetical to last district that is led by love. The protagonist shows that even in this life-threatening scenario we can form an alliance based on true friendship and there is a hope that in the end people could regain their humanity. Expand
  35. Feb 1, 2014
    Normally, when it comes to book, video game or cartoon characters being turned into movies, they usually have a mediocre or negative reception. Examples of this include Super Mario Bros (1993 film), Scooby Doo (2002 film) and the whole friggin Twilight movie series (seriously, why did they make more if the original sucked??)

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film,
    and here is why. It starts out with Katniss searching for food for the family when there is an announcement that the 74th Hunger Games contestants are going to be picked out. At first, it was supposed to be Rosemary, Katniss' sister but Katniss goes instead because she cannot bear to see her sister die. A series of events happen after this like the training, the interviews, the actual fights itself were awesome as well. I loved this movie and despite the hate that it gets, it is still a great movie. Expand
  36. Jan 26, 2014
    Mhm, I read the book and watched the movie about a year later. I really liked it, enjoyed it throughout it all. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty good, only thing that annoyed me was fighting scenes in the dark and the TOO shaky movement of the camera (at times, sometimes it actually fit in with the atmosphere).
    Recommended.
  37. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is well written, acted and shot, however the beauty of it seems unnatural with its dark themes. I feel this film (along with the book series) is built more for a 'Harry Potter' audience and is to watered down for it's adult themes.
  38. Jan 22, 2014
    This film is just a copy of Battle Royale, it's plagiarism. There's nothing new here, there's nothing stunning or amazing it's just a film to take your money and is a big hollywood fail.
  39. Jan 3, 2014
    Let me warn you: If you have not read the book you will have no idea what is going on. I watched this with my father, who never read the book, and I had to explain EVERYTHING to him. I, being a fan of the trilogy, thought it was fine. Undeniably flawed, but still a decent flick.
  40. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best dystopian fiction holds a mirror up to our own society, extrapolating current trends to extreme endpoints. Here, in a grim future America, the gaudy citizens of the Capital lead lives of leisure amid the glittering spires of their neo-classical metropolis while the Appalachian miners of District 12 carve a meagre living straight out of the Great Depression. Every year, they are forced to participate in their oppressors’ sadistic version reality TV (with brilliantly over the top X-factor style commentary): the titular Hunger Games, an annual gladiatorial combat between children, in which the sole survivor emerges as victor.

The face of the revolution is the teenage Katniss (Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) whose strong performance drives a film which is otherwise far from subtle. Yet there’s no doubt that this film is thoroughly exciting and engaging. For a start, the young actors here are miles better than the cast of the cheesy ‘80s slasher flicks I’ve been watching lately.

The weakest part of the story is the attempted love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale which started in the last film. It pales in comparison to the wider struggle of the story and is perhaps wisely downplayed. Gale (Liam Hemsworth, who somehow has third billing) is a childhood friend of Katniss, but feels like a redundant character, appearing in very few scenes to give the TV a jealous glance whenever he sees Peeta, who has infinitely more screen time.
  41. Dec 21, 2013
    I have found the movie has bad acting, the animations are not realistic and the plot was very bad. The scenes looked very 'bright and happy', so did the soldiers uniforms, also, is it just me or does everyone have clothes always look good as new and the characters have minimal amounts of dirt on them too?

In the movie story things that are extremely unlikely happened then something else
    extremely unlikely happened to make it follow the book.

All that said, I am definitely not going to watch the sequels.
  42. Dec 12, 2013
    Great acting and fresh direction make 'The Hunger Games' a great watch, but it can get predictable and sometimes the camera movements get a bit distracting.
  43. Dec 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hunger Games was written by American novelist, Suzanne Collins and was published and released in autumn 2008. The breathtaking book is about a girl in a poor District with The Hunger Games in the capitol once a year to fight until death. When her sister is taken out to do this challenge, what will Katniss do to save her sister?
    Gary Ross, 56, an American director, writer and author who wrote and directed this appalling version of an amazing book. He took the feeling out of the words Collins wrote and should be ashamed of himself.
    It was released in the UK in March 2012 and the total box office amount was £457,295,652. Many people, including myself, were clearly disappointed as we wanted to get the feeling we got with Collins’ books but instead I sat through a poor version with terrible acting.
    A man coming out of the cinema said “They couldn’t act. Stone faced, that’s what they were”. If I were Suzanne Collins I would feel utterly embarrassed to say that was based on a book I wrote.
    Jennifer Lawrence, 22, is a beautiful and talented actress but i felt her part was extremely flat but, of course, i put the blame on Gary Ross as he was responsible.
    The script was forced, terrible and completely horrendous! It made me cringe! Some of the memorable lines from the movie were taken from the book but having them being read aloud instead of reading them in your head ruined the experience. As well as the terrible script, there were also technical difficulties like when the camera would jerk and everyone in the screening room would feel suspense but Ross was building up to nothing. I am not an expert in special effects but to me, it looked like a student in primary school doing it for the first time and hoping for the best! It was an attempt to be serious but they failed miserably.
    With a budget of £51.6m, they should’ve hired a decent camera-man as to not make the whole film look like a school play!
    Overall, I give this despicable mess of a movie 0.5 of a star because they based it on an excellent book and I recommend you reading the book!
  44. Dec 11, 2013
    The Hunger Games can be summed up like this: the good is heavily outweighed by the bad. Only fans of the books should view it to see if they can get an ounce of satisfaction from the film adaptation. For everyone else, don't waste your time.
  45. Dec 8, 2013
    The movie has it's moments but then it becomes hard to imagine the world where 23 kids are killed every year on a live tv show just for entertainment of the others.
  46. Dec 4, 2013
    It is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takes place in a future setting in a nation known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts and the capitol. This science fiction, adventure-filled film is bound to have the viewer on the edge of their seats.

Each year, in the nation of Panem, two young adults are selected by lottery to represent their district in "The Hunger Games", a televised fight-to-death that the rest of the citizens are required to watch. When Katniss' younger sister's name is called to represent District 12, Katniss volunteers herself in order for her sister to remain safe. The male drawn as Katniss' partner for The Hunger Games is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), whom she has dramatic history with. Immediately after being selected, the two are sent away to training where they must gain the proper skills to survive The Hunger Games. Given only a small amount of supplies, Katniss and Peeta are sent into the woods where they compete against the remaining 22 opponents. Katniss finds herself a nice tree, where she is able to make a small platform for her to sleep on for the night with the hopes that no one will spot her. Day after day, Katniss and Peeta must remain a team to protect each other for survival. Obstacles appear, and suddenly the game is unpredictable. Throughout the film, the audience gets an intense look as The Hunger Games play out, leaving them on edge and unsure of the end results.

The director of this film, Gary Ross, did a fabulous job of directing this film. The angles used within the film helped the audience to get a better understanding of emotion within the film. Despite the fast-paced, extreme situations that each opponent faces throughout The Hunger Games, the audience is able to feel the connections between the characters. Furthermore, the audience gets a chance to feel as if they are part of the film, finding themselves cheering on the main characters as they fight for their lives.

The set design and costumes were also done really well in this movie, as it allowed the viewer to believe this actually took place in the future. The set design was a perfect fit for this film, as a majority of the film took place outside in the woods. The set design allowed the film to bring to life the world that Suzanne Collins had created in her novels. Additionally, it was very easy for the audience to see the difference between life in District 12 and the capitol, where life in the District was poor and rural with washed out buildings, and the capitol was futuristic with modern decorations and bright colors.

This film was strategically put together, allowing for the audience to feel a sense of belonging, as though they were involved. From the very beginning to the very end, the audience is hooked, and more often than not, begging for the sequel. From the cast, to the set design, to the directing, The Hunger Games is a high quality film that is strongly recommended for any teenagers, as well as any one interested in adventure films.
  47. Dec 1, 2013
    this movie was okay at most it was boring for really long and the hype was over a book and book fans will give it a good review that it will not deserve dont let your loyalism make people think a whack movie is good so they go buy it or something
  48. Nov 30, 2013
    It's awfully awkward to critique the movie so late, but I'll do so anyways. One of the things that "The Hunger Games" does well is that the emotional input is there. The emotions feel real, the intense is present, and you feel fear (as the Capitol intends). One of my problems with "The Hunger Games", is that there is not enough time to develop all of the information brought in the book onscreen. Even with 2 hrs and 30 minutes, I feel that, "The Hunger Games" is generally rushed. It's hard to take in emotional scenes if they are happening to fast, and unfortunately for me, this was a little hard to grasp. Another issue remained with the CG, and how it seemed very Computer Generated rather then realistic. But then again, with a $78 million budget, it's hard to complain. I may feel nagging, but I still feel that "The Hunger Games" is a strong film, as it succeeds is driving the emotions and feeling of intensity in your face. Expand
  49. Nov 29, 2013
    Alright, I was hyped for this movie, and I was somewhat let down by it. I loved the book series, and I guess I should have known that movies based off books aren't going to be as good.
  50. Nov 29, 2013
    I thought the Hunger Games was amazing. I didn't like it the first time I watched it but now I love it and I've watched it about 3-5 times! The only problem about the movie is that I think they spend too long before they are actually in the Hunger Games. I personally think they should of spent more of the movie with the fighting and things, because i had to skip it because I got a bit bored.
  51. Nov 29, 2013
    Just an okay at best movie. The main thing I had a problem with this movie is that you don't have any emotional investment in the characters. Even at moments where you are clearly supposed to feel sad or happy, you jut don't. The characters just aren't all that dimensional. Also, there is too much use of shaky camera and its hard to tell what is going on. I think the filmmaker decided to do this so that you don't see all the violence which would make this movie rated R, because hey if the movies PG-13 its going to make a lot more money. Hunger Games isn't that great of a movie but there are some enjoyable elements to it. Expand
  52. Nov 29, 2013
  53. Nov 28, 2013
    Ok; honestly, I didn't see this originally because it didn't look interesting to me. But everyone hyped it up, and now with all the "catching fire" buzz I decided to check out the first one to see if I was wrong. The 6 rating is to be fair to the actors, who did a great job with a ridiculous script. The premise of the movie is unbelievable, while the parallels with reality are too subtle and underdeveloped. It is like half action movie, half Alice in Wonderland (the strange Tim Burton one), and it doesn't work-- at least, not for me. I have heard the books are better; well that is usually true, but if the book is based on the same premise-- a futuristic society hosting gladiator events between children --I would probably find it equally ridiculous. Expand
  54. Nov 28, 2013
    Despite not really enjoying this film, I am still going to give it a slightly positive rating. My reasoning for this is that it is actually a decent film, however my opinion on it has been altered as I read the books first. The books has in depth politics and lots of violence and excitement. The film left a lot of the politics and violence out to make it watchable for the younger ages, which subsequently created a cheesy, not brilliantly written film. If they had 'juiced it up' a bit and made it a 15, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
    I would recommend this film if you have not read the book, if you have steer clear of it.
  55. Nov 27, 2013
    Good acting, interesting production design, commendable themes and a racy screenplay makes Hunger Games the big budget fantasy precedent for this decade. The one and only thing that mars this otherwise engagingly well made blockbuster is its cinematography with its unnecessary and excessive use of the shaky/handheld cam effect which more than anything robs the fine production design of its value.
  56. Nov 23, 2013
    "The Hunger Games" is ferociously intense and thrilling. It's powerfully acted, thought-provoking and faithful to the novel. So prepare yourselves, because you're gonna have a hell of a ride. I do hope "Catching Fire" would turn out just like this one, or hopefully even better.
  57. Nov 21, 2013
    A cliché, predictable, boring, eventless and poorly presented movie. It borrows age-old tricks from video games and does them poorly. Absolutely nothing to see here.
  58. Nov 20, 2013
    Overall, I enjoyed the Hunger Games. It was interesting and didn’t mess up the story. However, the story itself is not really interesting but hopefully the second one will be better. While the Hunger Games is a great film adaptation of a book, it is by no means a great film.
  59. Nov 19, 2013
    Poor movie. It should have been more than one part per book. There was no character development at all and bad casting. There were numerous mistakes in the movie aswell as taking one idea from the book and basing the entire population of the capitol on it. Not only that, but it's being completely marketed for the 8-12 crowd, with action figures and card games. The cast was horrible. The 17 year old gale was played by 22 year old Liam Hemsworth, and 16 year old Katniss by 22 year old Jennifer Lawrence. You know a high hyped movie was bad when it's already on netflix. Hopefully they don't screw up Catching fire, and the casting looks not that bad. Expand
  60. Nov 18, 2013
    There are scenes that left me feeling confused because of its jumpiness, but for a book adaptation, this first installment of Suzanne Collins' great series is more than one could've asked for. Lawrence is the best choice for Katniss, and she does it excellently. Even for someone who hasn't read the book, I don't think there will be too many confusions because the movie manages to keep the story both complex and simple at the same time. It's been a long time since I enjoy a movie with female heroine and seems like Jennifer Lawrence is truly destined to be the actress of her generation. Expand
  61. Nov 17, 2013
    An excellent adaptation, probably one of the best I've seen. Jennifer Lawrence's potrayal of Katniss is spot on; it's her performance that carries the whole movie (but of course, the supporting cast is also very talented). Sure, some parts from the book didn't make it to the movie, but overall it's very faithful to the source material. Gary Ross's direction feels kind of raw and fast-paced, but that's in a good way: unlike others, I really loved the shaky camera movements. Overall, The Hunger Games was a huge surprise for me. I thought it was going to be another crappy adaptation like Twilight but Gary Ross proved me wrong. And thank God for that. Expand
  62. Nov 8, 2013
    I expected more of this movie.
    But it is still a great movie.
    I hope Catching Fire is as great or better than The Hunger Games.
    That is all there is to say.
    Sorry, no spoilers.
  63. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Welcome! We salute your courage and your sacrifice and we wish you Happy Hunger Games!" President Snow

Time and space is very well established within the first five minutes of the film. We are in Panem, a future version of North American which is divided into a series of districts (consisting of poor people put under oppressive rule the security force resembles the policemen in George Lucas' THX 1138) and a wealthy city known as The Capitol (which is in control over the districts). Each year, two young members of every district are chosen to fight to the death (on live television) in an arena until there is only one of them left. The reason? Is there any? They say this is some kind of a tribute in order to maintain peace in Panem. President Snow says that hope is the true reason behind the Hunger Games ("Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear."). I don't even think there is a reason.

Half of the film takes place in an arena filled with video cameras that made me think of The Truman Show and I was afraid of the fact that it might feel repetitive. However, this isn't the case here. Gary Ross does a good job and I found his shaky camera technique perfect for the kind of action that takes place in the movie. He manages to make the film look brutal and violent even though its PG-13 rating. Seeing a young man holding a bloodied brick in his hand while another contender is lying dead at his feet is enough to make you think that you have actually seen a bloodbath.

Another strong element is the wonderful cast consisting of some of the best actors in Hollywood today. Donald Sutherland and Wes Bentley make perfect use of their limited on-screen time while Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones give charming and funny performances as two talk-show hosts. Elizabeth Banks' Effie Trinket, a symbol of Panem's aristocracy shares some really funny moments with former Hunger Games winner Haymitch Abernathy (another great performance from Woody Harrelson).

Effie's role throughout the movie is not as big as I thought I would be but her presence is extremely important. She really stands out in the "reaping" scene where all the other characters (the inhabitants of District 12) are dressed in simple gray-colored clothes to symbolize their lack of options, the poverty and the constant hunger while Effie Trinket looks like a strange mixture of the Pink Panther and Tinker Bell. You might think that she is just a crazy, spoiled, luxury-loving person but the entire high society seems to be dressed like her. They're all some sort of clowns with strange haircuts and expensive clothes which make them look ridiculously unnatural. I quite liked the contrast between the social classes. The aristocrats' lives are superficial and they do not seem to care or even be aware of how difficult the lives of the people who live in the Districts really are.

The supporting cast is terrific but it is actually Jennifer Lawrence who shines here more than ever and gives birth to one of the greatest movie heroines of the 21st century. When her little sister is chosen for the Hunger Games, Katniss, she does the right and selfless thing and volunteers herself as tribute. By doing that, she loses everything (including a potential relationship with Liam Hemsworth's Gale Hawthorne with whom she shares her disgust towards the Hunger Games) but somehow it feels that she hasn't anything to lose. Fighting for her loved ones (her little sister and even her irresponsible mother) becomes her goal and she has to survive no matter how. She is beautiful, intelligent, skillful and strong-willed and by the time she enters the arena you'll be rooting for her like crazy.

On the other hand, Peeta (the other tribute from District 12, played by Josh Hutcherson) is going through different emotions throughout the film from fear and the certainty of his own death to love and the will to sacrifice. He doesn't want the game to change him, he sometimes looks like he does not know exactly if he is doing the right thing and I can honestly say that there is a bit of Peeta in all of us. Both he and Katniss become characters you come to care about. And that is because of the acting, the direction, the captivating action scenes and the smart script.

From star-ships and trains, to CGI creatures, the visual effects are very impressive. There is particularly one scene that I found phenomenal in which Katniss tries to escape a forest fire started by the game makers, the ones who pull the strings and make the game turn out the way they want it to be without feeling any remorse and having no concern for consequences.

But in the end, I think that the big question is "Would you do it?". Would you be able to adapt to survive, to hunt and kill other human beings just like you? What about watching a televised blood-fest like the Hunger Games? I just hope that our future is a lot brighter than that.
  64. Oct 25, 2013
    'The Hunger Games' may suffer from a slightly underwhelming main cast (with exception of the stunning Jennifer Lawrence), but it redeems itself through the use of a well-written script, visually stunning effects, well-directed acting, and an intriguing premise.
  65. Oct 23, 2013
    Flat characterisation and story development with juvenile depictions of the brutal subject it was approaching. Such was this, that the costume and set design were very much bloated. The romance is too focused and seems less keen on exploring the themes of creating a society based on the treatment of competition between young people by killing each other. First and foremost, you didn't have to see the film to know how it ended. A feeling that that was how it was going to end was illustrated under the unconvincing panic of its main protagonists who would miraculously appear in the sequel. Seeing as how I had never read the books, I felt as if was some kind of condescending response to those who genuinely wanted to see the film but had never read the books. Expand
  66. Oct 21, 2013
    To be honest, I avoid this movie thinking it was going to be the next Twilight. Fortunately that is not the case. I have not read the books, nor do I care to so, so I don't have to care if it is as good as the source or not. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie allot more than I would care to admit publicly.

But I do have my gripes too:

1) What the hell was with all the shaky cam? Were
    believable practical gore effects too expensive? Seriously, the cinematography was terrible, at least for most of the action sequences. I almost felt like the camera man was having seizures everytime he got excited.
    2) The buildup took far too long and really did not do that great a job developing the characters. At least none of the side characters. The main character were OK but could have been better.
    3) Far too many conveniences, the narrative does stray from believability at times.

Overall:
    Even though it is a clear western copy and paste watered down version of Battle Royale, it's still allot of fun and some great performances from Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson. It wasn't the "chick-flick" I thought it was going to be.
  67. Oct 9, 2013
    I really do not get all of the appeal behind The Hunger Games. This is similar to The Twilight Saga, not that both franchises are the exact same, but they're both highly overrated franchises that are geared mostly towards teenagers. The only difference is that The Hunger Games tries to appeal to all demographics, but just ends up being REALLY obnoxious--- once you see the poster for this movie 1000 times. The one with Katniss on it. This is one of the most ANNOYING movie posters, if not THE most annoying movie poster I have ever seen. It's everywhere, even when the second movie is about to be released. Sorry, but The Hunger Games will not be as memorable as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. It's just another adult-novel-turned-to-movie-aimed-for-teenagers. Expand
  68. Oct 6, 2013
    I really bored in this movie action scenes were boring but acting was good i cant deny that especially jennifer lawrence did an awesome job for me if you planning to enter the franchise just read the books
  69. Sep 20, 2013
    It's too bad a film of such caliber and importance could have such piss-poor cinematography. I am actually a little mad at the cinematographer for ruining a perfect movie for fans of the series and movie-goers alike who like to watch great book-to-screen adaptations pay off. The Hunger Games did pay off in the end, thanks to a great cast headed by the beautiful Ms. Lawrence, as well as good action and a bit of romance between the star-crossed lovers. As a reader of this series, I was disappointed that the movie didn't portray the violence the book encapsulated. I realize that the target audience was 12-14 year olds who have read the series, but I felt as if the PG-13 rating didn't do the movie justice. An R-rated version of the film would probably show what the book really wanted to divulge in terms of what really went in in that arena. Expand
  70. Sep 18, 2013
    The hungry games are bad and i think its bad becos there was no hungrany and there was none games so i dont get way it was calld hte hugnry games and all off the charenters wasnt hungry adn they dint want to kill echother because they aer winmps so thay shud kill thamsalfs with a 360noscope
  71. Sep 2, 2013
    Has elements of mediocrity, but is saved by two feats. Firstly, Jennifer Lawrence makes her character almost iconic, finally giving young women a quality movie heroine. Secondly, the more formulaic parts of the last half remain immersive because they're supposed to be staged within the movie. It doesn't matter that it all has a bit too much Hollywood gloss to be truly gritty, because within the games show, everything is supposed to be tv-friendly. Finally, the ending is satisfactory, which is impressive considering all the intrigue in the build-up. It's like a crime movie where you try to guess who the last bunch of people will be, and it ends up both believable and quite clever. Then there's the social commentary and the parallels to the 20th century western history. I think it lifts the movie from being melodramatic to a work that can touch something greater within most people. A greater sense of justice, humility, humanism, truthfulness. Not sublimely intelligent, but much more involving than the average american movie. Expand
  72. Aug 16, 2013
    When based on such amazing source materials as this, it should be hard messing it up. But this movie messes it up in almost every way possible. I kept facepalming because of all the errors that were made. Important characters and events are kept out of the movie. There is no character development at all. It's like the writer expect everyone to have read the books before seeing this, and I bet over half of the people who saw this, didn't.

So disappointed.
  73. Aug 15, 2013
    It took a second viewing, well over a year after its initial release, to appreciate The Hunger Games a little more than my original thoughts, I didn't hate it, but I was certainly mountains away from liking it. My ongoing problem with book to film adaptations is the unevenness of it all, it boils down to two simple scenarios, either make a carbon copy of the book, page for page, or simply adapt the story and make it a standalone piece, but the film tries to do both and sacrifices things that could have made it a much better film. A riveting and spellbinding first half hour sets us up in a post-apocalyptic universe where we have 12 districts full of those suffering the consequences of a war years before, and then we have the Capitol, full of the rich and powerful, who hold an annual televised games where the contestants, or "tributes" fight to the death and consist of a male and female from each district.
    We are introduced to Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) who reluctantly but lovingly takes the place of her little sister who was originally picked to compete, Jennifer Lawrence brings a distinguished yet hardened approach to the role, her character knows what must be done and will do anything to see it happen, and she also carries quite a skill set as well. She meets Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), the male tribute, and they subsequently form an uneasy alliance in an attempt to survive, because once the games start, only one person shall arise victorious. My biggest problem with the film is how much violence needs to be pushed, but isn't, its subdued and completely backtracking on the point of the film, reaching to a bigger audience, ok, but when a sacrifice like this is made its hard not to feel cheated. There is definitely a severe lack of character development, particularly a young girl who we are really supposed to connect with, but her role in the film is that small we barely have time to blink before she is gone again.
    Redeeming qualities of the film are the performances from the main cast, with a very emotional approach from Lawrence while we also have star talent like Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci. There is also excellent cinematography to enjoy, with a shaky technique used so as we are with Katniss throughout her harrowing journey. Its an enjoyable flick for a commanding first half but a second half that simply doesn't deliver, throwing to many big characters at us who ultimately don't get enough screen time, plus the lack of actual violence is truly frustrating, but decent performances and a worthwhile premise should be enough to see it.
  74. Jul 26, 2013
    This movie was ran smoothly, not in the plot but in the overall sense of events and how they were presented. While the topic of what it was based on was, almost literally, half a preparation for what the main, deciding part of the movie was, both parts played it equally well. Definitely worth the money to watch, and the drama and action was no doubt above your average movie.
  75. Jul 22, 2013
    While I am no fan of "The Hunger Games" books nor did I really hear about them until the film came out and I took a whole year to actually get to watch the film, I must admit it is quite good. As a matter of fact, I am quite shocked at how good it is. In my head it was somewhat of a "Twilight" phenomenon, so I discarded it immediately. However, it was misguided. "The Hunger Games" has an interesting premise, and a rather well thought out idea. The screenplay is well written and it achieves to keep one fully immersed into the film, and provides necessary thrills throughout the entirety of the film. I was so absorbed and intensely connecting with the characters, I got acid reflux from all the tension. Oh, no, I am not joking.

Anyhow, the technicalities of the film need no discussion, really. A film with such a huge budget will make sure to clean up nicely and "The Hunger Games" is no different. The performances were, surprisingly, quite convincing and were not forced. Jennifer Lawrence is pitch-perfect as the leading lady, and all the supporting cast does a good job. I was especially stricken by the emotional connection with, and performance by the young Amandla Stenberg. It is sad we will not be seeing her in the second instalment of the series, but what can one do.

Overall, it was a real pleasure to watch this film. Not only did it deliver unexpected thrills (at least unexpected to me), but it also managed to take the audience into that dystopian world of the future. How dystopic it really is is another question to be asked, especially in light of reality television and its ever-brutal entrance into the real lives of people. Quite often with dubious ethical, moral and taste breaches that leave one baffled.
  76. Jul 22, 2013
    Da mas que quita una idea original de accion y sanguinaria que demuestra salir adelante en la taquilla suspenso, accion y sus buenos esfectos ademas de buenas actuaciones
  77. Jul 16, 2013
    First off, I neither liked this film nor the books. The entire concept was taken directly from Battle Royale and has just interjected elements from The Lord of The Flies. There are several ways that the character of Katniss is just a bland, sociopathic male-stand-in who does everything wrong and seems to get out alive. Peeta is creepy. No question. How he tries to make Katniss act like she's in love with him for the better of the viewers and how he admitted to nearly stalking her in both the film and book. Gale and Prim are useless characters who, if they were removed, the story would still be the same. Haymich isn't alcoholic at all, he's an occasional drunk, and I'm ready to stand up to that point with anyone who wants to protest. I don't want this review to run long with everything that's wrong with this, because there aren't enough characters here to rightly explain. But what I hate the most is the sheer fact that such a large bandwagon has been made for this film/book. There are other alternatives out there that do it so much better than this. Just because millions of people like something doesn't make it as good as everyone praises it to be. Expand
  78. Jul 5, 2013
    I'll start off by making the point that I'm acutely aware that I'm not the target audience of this picture, but would also add that this shouldn't prevent any appreciation I might have when it's done right. Sadly, The Hunger Games struggles on too many occasions for this to be a consideration. I will say that my own biases may also play a part, as general irritation with certain aspects of the movie may relate to me specifically.

Disclaimers aside, the early stages of the film were reasonable. It was much grittier than I was expecting in introducing the hardships of life in the district. However, it didn't take long for the first source of annoyance to rear its teen heartthrob of a head...

I'm far more familiar with Liam Hemsworth's brother Chris than I am with him, and on this evidence, Liam should be taking more than a few pointers from his older brother. Why he chose to earnestly squint his way through the mercifully brief screen time he is afforded is beyond me, and quite honestly, it drove me nuts. It smacks of pandering to the tweenie audience (as do the ridiculously transparent character names) and it really aggravated me. Saving grace then that he was not, as I was expecting, the male counterpart to Lawrence's Katniss. I found Josh Hutcherson infinitely less infuriating and was able to move on with my life without putting a hole in my TV.

On a mildly positive note, the scenes of children being herded to the 'reaping', the name given to the event at which the contestants are chosen, was suitably dark in tone. There is a decent sense of foreboding about the whole thing and I was fairly engaged for a few minutes, the tearful goodbyes and desperation adding to the spectre of things to come. It was reminiscent of a few wartime movies, but the fact that it was even in there was pleasing. Unfortunately, this is not where the beg, borrow and steal mentality ended.

I'm not so sure that there is anything completely original left in the popular view of a science fiction future, but when it becomes so distracting that you can't stop pointing out aspects derived from other films, there's a problem. I won't bore anyone with a complete list here, suffice it to say that I noticed everything from Gattaca to Demolition Man and many others in between being misappropriated in the set design and it really got to me. On top of this, The Fifth Element provides more or less the entirety of the cues for the costumes of the population of the city. I was relieved once the action moved to the event itself and this is where the film was at its strongest.

A good proportion of the action sequences are executed quite well and undeniably raise the film as a whole. The soundtrack is all a bit 'by the numbers', but bearable and apt at the very least. There's a lot of contrived plot silliness that takes place during the games sequences, but at least this section didn't exhaust me like much of the rest of the film did.

Ultimately, it's not much worse than average, but there was far too much about this that had me gritting my teeth in despair to get anything out of the experience.
  79. Jul 3, 2013
    Read the book last year; saw the movie tonight. Completely disappointed with the overall adaptation. There was virtually no backstory, the characters felt very empty, and plenty of crucial plot points were glossed over.

Why was Katniss so protective of Rue and emotional upon her death? Why did the riots start in District 12 so suddenly? Where was Katniss's gradual realization that
    cozying up to Peeta would lead to more sponsored parachutes? Where was the scene of the girl in the forest being captured (who eventually turned into an Avox)? Why were Katniss and Peeta acting so normal when they were presented with so much delicious food on the train (assuming they were on the brink of starvation back in District 12)? Where were the scenes where Panem's citizens were hinging on every move between Peeta/Katniss? Who the heck was Gale and what does he even have to do with this movie? All of these questions and MORE were left unanswered, and if it wasn't for me having read the book, I would have been sorely confused by the movie's shallow delivery.

The only reason this movie deserves a 3 from me (instead of a 0), is because Jennifer Lawrence is a great actress. But not even she could save this lame duck of an adaptation.
  80. Jun 25, 2013
    I was formerly skeptical about watching this film. I first heard about it when a family member told me about the plot of the book and they made it out to be some dumb children's story. Regardless, I decided to watch this film and I was pleasantly surprised. Technically, this film is flawless from my recollection and the acting is superb. The only reason I can't give this film a 9 or a 10 is because it didn't really feel special and I felt they could have made this film a lot better by changing some minor plot points (which would take it away from the direction of the book but...whatever). The film also never really stuck. Despite this film being a great technical feat, when you think of great movies, you don't necessarily think of the hunger games. Expand
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    The idea of having this dystopian future where kids are picked to kill each other off for the sake of peace between tribes/clans? I didn't read the book and it clearly shows with my own future opinions. First off I would like to talk about the idea, this in some way sounds creative, but also confusing. I mean, why do they have to do this? I felt like they didn't really answer that, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention enough to find the answers I was looking for. With that confusing plot aside, this is an "okay" movie. I like the visuals, the main character is pretty well done and acted out pretty well. The main issue for me is just the idea; don't get me wrong I love the idea, I personally am a fan of Batlle royale) but again I just needed a reason to believe in this idea. Overall, an okay movie, just a little bit of bumps in the road, but I think this will be a good franchise. Expand
  82. Jun 13, 2013
    Katniss forever!!! Favorite books, favorite movie. I was just oozing with excitement from watching this movie. So good and it delivered exactly what the book was.
  83. Jun 12, 2013
    Very little character development, weak storyline. This movie did have the potential to be great, but with weak character development, mediocre action scenes, and what felt like a weak storyline it was utterly dissappointing. If more time was spent on getting the viewers to know and identify with the characters it might have been a great movie.
  84. Jun 9, 2013
    This movie was really interesting and very entertaining. The script, the direction, and the performances were all great. But the actress that really caught my attention was Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance was so genuine and believable. She's easily one of the best young actress's in America right now. Other than what's good about it, the only problem with the movie was that it took a little too long to get to the actual Hunger Games. Another words, it's too long. Expand
  85. Jun 5, 2013
    I was really surprised how this movie turned out. I mean just by watching the trailers, it looked pretty typical, but the movie delivers with great acting and great storytelling. There were characters that stuck out amongst
    others, like Stanley Tucci and Woody Harrelson. Then there were those that didn't really stick out but were surprisingly good in this movie like Josh Hutcherson and
    Liam Hemsworth. The feel of the movie was really exciting and alive. Especially once the Hunger Games actually starts. It does tend to slow down in places, but it usually tends to pick itself back up. Overall, it's an amazing start from the beloved book series. Expand
  86. May 30, 2013
    'The Hunger Games' makes sure to always keep its source material at heart, making it a wonderfully faithful adaption. Not only that, tense editing, a great performance from Lawrence and an overall good screenplay, make it edge of seat action, while also offering a real purpose and moral drama.
  87. May 21, 2013
    The Hunger Games, based on a novel of the same title by Suzanne Collins, fails to deliver as much suspense as the novel does and even though it tries to deliver some action it delivers no action. The Hunger Games is also extremely complicated for those who have not read the book. There are countless things that the viewer won't know if they haven't read the book. The scenes also went by way to fast in my opinion. For a movie that is two hours and twenty-two minutes (about two hours and ten minutes with out the ending credits), this movie should have been made way better. The special effects, though, were extraordinary. Expand
  88. May 12, 2013
    As a fan of the source material, I was looking forward for the movie adaptation. After the film ended, I came to the conclusion that the book was better, because it contained a bit more information. However, the result they presented to us by far exceeded my expectations and led me to think that The Hunger Games not only was a great time, as it was one of the most faithful adaptations I had ever seen. The movie's tone is exactly what you get while reading the novel, and it captures that dramatic violence and raw emotion the characters were submited to. The acting is powerful and it greatly benefits from Jennifer Lawrence's blow-minding portrayl of Katniss, who will certainly become one of the most beloved heroines of all time. Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth are a perfect match for a love triangle, that unlike the Twilight franchise it actually works. Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci were capable enough of throwing a little comedic timing on the first half to relief a bit of the pressure that the audience itself catches, because you are rooting for the characters throughout this journey. In the end, The Hunger Games is superbly acted and provides us the best take we could have ever been provided to such a inspirational story of hope, motivation, rebelion and most importantly political corruption and its consequences. Expand
  89. Apr 29, 2013
    A fun adventure movie that can be hard for some to take. Good performances and a solid script makes The Hunger Games a fun watch that makes you want to see the sequel.
  90. Apr 28, 2013
    Shameful ripoff of "Battle Royale," and much lower in quality. It's Battle Royale for "the Twilight crowd." The acting was stale, the action was bland, and there wasn't any reason given to me to really care about anything going on. The author of the books claims to have never heard of Battle Royale, and that's a laugh!
  91. Apr 22, 2013
    The Hunger Games is an overall disappointment. The book tells you that this "game" comes with brutality, and the movie tells you brutality can't be found only glimpses of disturbing imagery can. For the technical categories The Hunger Games is an achievement. The pace destroys the movie though. Movies are kind of like music. They have timing. The Hunger Games threw events at you bam bam bam bam! It tried to fit everything in so well that the movies pace was to uneasy and fast leaving it with boringness and unpleasantsy. Expand
  92. Apr 20, 2013
    Read all 3 books and must say, the movie follows the first book, "The Hunger Games" quite well. Although I didn't like when they made Katniss get the Mocking-jay pin from an old lady instead of Madge. But other than that, followed the book better than most movies based on books.
  93. Apr 15, 2013
    The Hunger Games tells a story that is either told too fast or too stretched. The actors do either a great job or a horrible one (like the actor playing Peeta who always looks like he shat his pants). It could have been good, but it's dragged down by flaws that could have easily been prevented.
  94. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's hard for me to understand why so many people thought this movie was well done. I read the first book (mainly because my girlfriend really wanted me to, especially before the movie) and I have to say I'm really glad I did. Although, even if I didn't read the book, the movie is horrible regardless. My favorite character Haymitch never did any of the things that I liked him for in the book. I never cared for Rue as I did in the book, quite frankly I did not care when she died in the movie. When the familiars (the name escapes me) came on screen of the dead tributes, they were awkward dog creatures that did not resemble their former selves. Thresh never did anything. The casting was off as certain characters did not look like how they were portrayed in the book (I know it cannot be perfect but you can make it close). The chariot scene with the fire dress was uninspired. Cinna had no emotion and seemed to really not care for Katniss. The shotty camera work that just shook every time an action scene happened. The fact that Pita didn't lose a leg. This movie is just wrong. It's just bad. Aside from completely ruining the book, the movie alone just is not good. Nothing about it was entertaining especially since I've read the book and know that everything was done so horribly wrong. My girlfriend who is a huge fan of the series (collects everything she can) also hated the movie. We were both sitting in the theater, dumbstruck as people clapped and cheered for a movie that destroyed what the books created. In retrospect I'm sure more than half the people in the movie hadn't read the books but the fact that the author stood behind this, I'll be sure to skip out on anything she does again. Not to mention the fact that I saw Battle Royale which came out before the Hunger Games books and movie and watching that you realize how much is ripped off. Right down to where they have two winners. I'm rambling now but geez, looking up at 831 positive reviews, really? Gah! Expand
  95. Mar 27, 2013
    an original story the costume is actually confusing but i liked the performance of both the leading the actors and i loved the movie overall feeling and i can't wait for the rest of the series.
  96. Mar 24, 2013
    um filme muito bom, desde o começo no distrito pobre a escolha dos tributos até a conclusão do jogos. Mas vale lembrar que eles omitem varias passagens importantes do livro, que acaba fazendo o livro melhor!
  97. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jennifer Lawrence stuns her audience with her amazing capabilities as an actress. The acting was well done, as were the effects. The film did, however have many production errors, one being the death order of the tributes in the bloodbath jumbled. Amandla Stenberg made an impressing acting debut as Rue, where actors such as Isabelle Fuhrman and Jack Quade, who are fairly new in the film industry did well as Clove and Marvel. I would have liked that Madge Undersee was included into the film, along with a few other scenes during and after the games that were omitted from the final picture. Expand
  98. Mar 19, 2013
    Not worth it. Please, I read the book for school and decided to check out the movie. My God that was terrible almost as terrible as Avatar. I fell asleep 3 times. The book was filled with action but this movie wasn't. Acting was good that's why I gave it a three. If you want to be entertained you would have a better chance watching the book cover then this. The book cover was more interesting then the movie. Avoid movies like this and you will be happy. You want my advice, watch Spring Breakers. Expand
  99. Mar 17, 2013
    Easily one of the best book to film adaptions of all time and one of the best movies of 2012, The Hunger Games is a dystopian film which is able to provide an amazing story line with fantastic performances from the cast, most notably Jennifer Lawrence who plays Katniss Everdeen, the film's heroine. Recommended for people who want to see a good film with a good message.
  100. Mar 15, 2013
    I hated the concept of it kids killing kids but the acting was superb by all. Every character was meant to be there and had a purpose. I know people will say why give it a ten if you hated the concept. Look at it this way I hate Leonard Cohen I don't like his style if singing but he is still a brilliant songwriter.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 26, 2012
    The result is an evasive, baffling, unexciting production - anything but a classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Mar 23, 2012
    Ross manages to keep the pacing remarkably swift, given that the games themselves don't start until halfway through the 144-minute running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 23, 2012
    Katniss is gritty, she's flinty, she's intimidating -- and she doesn't have to compromise one iota of her femininity for it. And Ross' movie tells her story wonderfully.