8.0

1. Jan 5, 2011
    Great movie and a very nice story. Sean Connery was big again.
  2. Dec 7, 2011
    This movie is just great. The fact that it's based on a Tom Clancy novel makes it even better. Sean Connery was great, so was Alec Baldwin. A thrilling climax (no spoilers), I would definitely recommend this movie.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    I love the fact that everything just clicks right into place in this thriller. A fast paced movie based in fact with excellent attention to detail. Probably not the best of submarine movies (with some amateurish animated underwater motion scenes) but overall a fantastic adventure with first rate acting by a great cast. Have to say I find it a thoroughly entertaining and quite grippingI love the fact that everything just clicks right into place in this thriller. A fast paced movie based in fact with excellent attention to detail. Probably not the best of submarine movies (with some amateurish animated underwater motion scenes) but overall a fantastic adventure with first rate acting by a great cast. Have to say I find it a thoroughly entertaining and quite gripping film. I re-watch it every year on dvd and still love it and am impressed by just about all aspects. Expand

1. This Tom Clancy thriller gets the proper screen treatment here with this first-rate cast and direction by one of the genre’s best: Die Hard director John McTiernan.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    McTiernan does not fall too much in love with any scene, character or gadget. He has judged his material (and our attention spans) very well. His alternation of menace and human interest, technological wizardry and action sequences is subtly calibrated, ultimately hypnotic in its effect. [5 Mar 1990, p.70]
  3. Colorful and exciting, yet unless you're a young moviegoer, nothing in it takes you by complete surprise. (It's less a nail-biter than a chin-stroker.)