The Hurt Locker

7.3

1. Nov 9, 2014
    Every single negative review I see on this site is due to "inaccuracy". Film is art ladies and gentleman, not reality. No matter the subject matter, any and all disbelief should be suspended when watching film. This is a classic mistake of many movie goer who expects realism. Look at elements and themes within a film, and stop tallying up real life impossibilities. This film is aEvery single negative review I see on this site is due to "inaccuracy". Film is art ladies and gentleman, not reality. No matter the subject matter, any and all disbelief should be suspended when watching film. This is a classic mistake of many movie goer who expects realism. Look at elements and themes within a film, and stop tallying up real life impossibilities. This film is a masterful work of art, thematically and emotionally. There is a reason for the 94 meta score on this site, it does not lie. The film is great. Expand
  2. RyanS
    Jan 20, 2010
    Truly an immersive war movie. An eye-opener. As I was watching it I was thinking about whether this is as good as classics like "Full Metal Jacket," and it's nearly at that level.
    Feb 1, 2010
    A very good film with some memorable scenes, it is very easy to give this film a high rating however on reflection it certainly does not desrve the 10/10 that many critics have dished out so easily for this film. I would say Moon is a better film and that got a 67 (84 from users) from the critics, who I believe have been a little out of touch with reviews for 2009 films.
  4. BryanB
    Jan 12, 2010
    As another Vet and EOD tech I give this film a 7. Yeah it
  5. roberti
    Jan 17, 2010
    True to the pumped up, hormonal realities of combat.
  6. DavidC.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Not a bad movie, but how can you go wrong when the main character is constantly in danger of getting blown up? I think it could have been better; there was a little too much Riggs from Lethal Weapon in that guy, but the actor did a good job. I'm really tired of the shaky camera too.
  7. ChrisK.
    Apr 2, 2010
    It may not be very accurate but I enjoyed watching this reckless guy disable bombs.
  8. Tex
    Jun 2, 2010
    Above-average war movie. It has its moments but quickly fizzles out in the end.
  9. AnnM
    Aug 23, 2009
    Primarily a character study of three unusual soldiers and their takes on the war - love it, hate it, and stop-this-improvising. James is an exaggerated but unforgettable character. Interesting scenery. Suspenseful. Much of the action was unrealistic; derived from other war movies instead of from Army procedures.
  10. RobM
    Aug 24, 2009
    Best movie I have seen this year, and by far one of the best war movies made. This movie cut the crap and focused on the characters above everything else, no over the top gun slinging. To anyone who simply watches this movie and then writes it off as crap probably just doesn't have the mental capability to see it for what it is. Movie critics usually have some idea of what Best movie I have seen this year, and by far one of the best war movies made. This movie cut the crap and focused on the characters above everything else, no over the top gun slinging. To anyone who simply watches this movie and then writes it off as crap probably just doesn't have the mental capability to see it for what it is. Movie critics usually have some idea of what they're talking about and in this case I can't agree more with them, except maybe the last two. Expand
  11. DomoR
    Aug 6, 2009
    Jeremy Renner proves without a doubt he is a major talent thanks in large part to Kathryn Bigelow's impeccable direction. He has always been good but this puts him way, way over the top. And as far as Bigelow is concerned, I've always admired her muscular direction but felt something was left wanting. With The Hurt Locker she has found the perfect vehicle to flex her guns and Jeremy Renner proves without a doubt he is a major talent thanks in large part to Kathryn Bigelow's impeccable direction. He has always been good but this puts him way, way over the top. And as far as Bigelow is concerned, I've always admired her muscular direction but felt something was left wanting. With The Hurt Locker she has found the perfect vehicle to flex her guns and one up the old boys' network. Great movie. Expand
  12. sa
    Aug 6, 2009
    I think the point was the character becoming so enveloped within his experience as a soldier that he was unable to remove himself from the war when the opportunity arose. On this level I think it was very effective (reports of depression etc. in Iraq war veterans). Certain scenes did stretch plausibility (especially the part when the lead character goes vigilante). As non-military though, I think the point was the character becoming so enveloped within his experience as a soldier that he was unable to remove himself from the war when the opportunity arose. On this level I think it was very effective (reports of depression etc. in Iraq war veterans). Certain scenes did stretch plausibility (especially the part when the lead character goes vigilante). As non-military though, I didn't have any difficulty believing in the fantasy. Also, it effectively created a sense of irony as I sat in the theater sipping my soda and munching on popcorn while some soldiers were trapped in a firefight while baking in the desert. Expand
  13. JoshE
    Aug 6, 2009
    I understand, a little, how certain people connected to the military may get upset by the lack of realism in the representation of how these men go about their jobs, but name one thing that Hollywood makes that is realistic. Love, no. Attractiveness of average people, no. True events, no. Transforming robots... OK, I'll stop now, because it's endless. That's not the point I understand, a little, how certain people connected to the military may get upset by the lack of realism in the representation of how these men go about their jobs, but name one thing that Hollywood makes that is realistic. Love, no. Attractiveness of average people, no. True events, no. Transforming robots... OK, I'll stop now, because it's endless. That's not the point with this film. It's not the "How," it's the "Who" and the "What." The mundane for these men is life or death at the flip of a coin or, in this case, switch. It's about a man who is overwhelmed by choosing 1 cereal in a crowded aisle and only knows peace when he is alone with a bomb because it's the only time he knows what to do... disarm it. Despite the lack of realism, this movie only improves my admiration for the men that risk their lives in any capacity for our freedom and that of others. "The Hurt Locker" is a film, not a documentary. It is compelling for its intensity and the how close these characters are to oblivion as part of their daily routine. I think it's an excellent film and hope that others can look at it is a situation with probable characters, and what this situation does to them, and not how they aren't travelling with the right amount of Humvees or aren't using the robot enough. It's a story, and one that is well told and acted... Something that is truly rare in the cinemaplex now-a-days. Expand
  14. jeffh
    Aug 8, 2009
    The most intense and realistic war movie I have ever seen.The cast of unknowns keeps you on the edge of your seat and to think that this masterpiece was directed by a woman is remarkable.
  15. KingH
    Aug 9, 2009
    No need to wait 10 years for this film to become a classic. It is one NOW!
  16. AKhan
    Aug 9, 2009
    This is a very intelligent and gripping thriller.
  17. JamesO
    Sep 1, 2009
    Anyone who gave this movie below a 6 is being dumb. Its a great movie, go see it.
  18. PepijnSchmidt
    Sep 2, 2009
    byfar the most realistic military movie about today's army i usualy sit through iraq movies picking things out that are fake and unrealistic but the directors of this movie paid close attention to what actual vetrans have said. it's the little details about the movie that make it good. The gloves they use, the MRE tabasko bottle in the molly webbing. All the different iraqibyfar the most realistic military movie about today's army i usualy sit through iraq movies picking things out that are fake and unrealistic but the directors of this movie paid close attention to what actual vetrans have said. it's the little details about the movie that make it good. The gloves they use, the MRE tabasko bottle in the molly webbing. All the different iraqi military forces look identical and their uniforms arn't hard pressed. god that was a great movie..... Expand
  19. NeilF
    Sep 4, 2009
    "Total bore"? "Forced tension"? What are the people knocking this film on?
  20. SethA.
    Jan 11, 2010
    Excellent film. Don't let extreme liberals stray you from watching one of the best war films of the decade. Everything seems very real, including the psychological damage the war causes the soldiers. A must see for any person who calls themselves a war film appreciator.
  21. Andre
    Jan 11, 2010
    This is a great film about the personal battles faced during war. I don't think it set out to make a statement about the Iraq War itself but how we as humans learn to cope. It's a small story with some very intense action and a handful of heart. Renner gives a helluva performance. Worth seeing!!!
  22. KyleM
    Jan 13, 2010
    If Avatar beats out this, and the other nominees for that matter, I'll be mad.
  23. halb
    Jan 24, 2010
    A very good film about a small contingent of soldiers (explosive ordinance disposal -- i.e., bomb squad) in Baghdad in 2004. Well directed, well acted, well plotted and paced... and blessedly non-political. But for me, it didn't live up to the hype. Yes, Renner does a fine job in the lead role. Yes, there are moments of tension, moments of mute horror, and moments of dramatic A very good film about a small contingent of soldiers (explosive ordinance disposal -- i.e., bomb squad) in Baghdad in 2004. Well directed, well acted, well plotted and paced... and blessedly non-political. But for me, it didn't live up to the hype. Yes, Renner does a fine job in the lead role. Yes, there are moments of tension, moments of mute horror, and moments of dramatic catharsis. But I found this film oddly 'flat' overall. Still, it's worth seeing this if you want to see a compelling story about the war in Iraq. [I think it would have been better to see this on the big screen, rather than on my little 27" flat screen.] Expand
  24. BenF.
    Feb 8, 2010
    One of the best war films in recent memory. The suspense almost kills you at times. Renner is a revelation.
  25. ReganH
    Mar 13, 2010
    The quiet intensity, the lack of quick-cuts, the facets of the lead character that slowly revealed themselves throughout the movie -- it added up to riveting, engrossing movie that has stuck with me. I cannot wait to watch again.
  26. Chris
    Mar 15, 2010
    I think a lot of people don't understand what this movie is about. Hint: it's not about the action. The crux of the movie is contained in the final 30 seconds of dialogue between the main character and his son.
  27. Owain
    Mar 30, 2010
    Possibly the best war film I've seen since 'full metal jacket', The Hurt Locker deserves every good review it gets. I'm the first to admit that I don't know anything about the accuracy of the film contents, but I also fail to see how that should matter. If, like me, you don't care if the soldiers are carrying the right weapons or wearing the exact uniforms Possibly the best war film I've seen since 'full metal jacket', The Hurt Locker deserves every good review it gets. I'm the first to admit that I don't know anything about the accuracy of the film contents, but I also fail to see how that should matter. If, like me, you don't care if the soldiers are carrying the right weapons or wearing the exact uniforms for 2004, then what you experience is blend of supreme nerve wrecking tension, amazing action and a really good story. If you are a stickler for historical accuracy, then maybe it's not for you, but for the 99% of people who watch a film to be entertained, the this is a must see. Expand
  28. MatthewP.
    Mar 30, 2010
    What the Hell is everyone's problem with this movie? Are they all gay for Avatar or something? Look retards, every movie is going to have inaccuracies in the storyline, but saying stuff like "Its SO inaccurate! They actually changed the name of the camp TO Camp Liberty! What the hell were they thinking?!?" is ridiculous. This movie is amazing, hands down. Retards.
  29. Dee
    Mar 8, 2010
    One of the most gripping and psychologically rich movies ever made - a real "page-turner", if you can call a movie that - though I also strongly agree with Salon.com's comment of "The drawback is that even though The Hurt Locker is extremely effective in places, it ultimately feels unformed and somewhat unfinished." Like the above implies, to me, it seems like the movie's only One of the most gripping and psychologically rich movies ever made - a real "page-turner", if you can call a movie that - though I also strongly agree with Salon.com's comment of "The drawback is that even though The Hurt Locker is extremely effective in places, it ultimately feels unformed and somewhat unfinished." Like the above implies, to me, it seems like the movie's only real "point" is to inform you of how soldiers in Iraqi bomb squads think and feel. After you see the movie, you remember what it FELT like, but not what actually happened. Expand
  30. PeterC.
    Mar 9, 2010
    Excellent character study in a war-movie's clothing. Suggestions that it lacks focus overlook this fact. Brilliantly shot, empathetically acted, simmering film that takes its cue from the likes of Lawrence of Arabia and The English Patient much more than Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan, or any other fighting-man's war film. The critics who fails to see past its Excellent character study in a war-movie's clothing. Suggestions that it lacks focus overlook this fact. Brilliantly shot, empathetically acted, simmering film that takes its cue from the likes of Lawrence of Arabia and The English Patient much more than Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan, or any other fighting-man's war film. The critics who fails to see past its innaccuracies -- and no-doubt there are a few of those and a few exaggerations toom all in the interests of strengthening narrative or drama -- rob themselves of what it a truely moving portrait of a man, who just happens to be a bomb disposal expert working in Iraq. Expand
  31. FrankA
    Apr 14, 2010
    This movie to me shows not just an action packed kick ass war movie about heroes and such, it shows the slower more suspenseful part of war, the entire time i was so uneasy as to what could happen i just loved it.
  32. AnaI
    Apr 14, 2010
    Wow! One of the best movies I have ever seen. The directing of the movie was spectacular. The acting was good. So realistic, and just outstanding film.
  33. LeahM.
    Apr 15, 2010
    Jeremy Renner was amazing and the movie made me anxious - I could feel the tension.
  34. caseyk.
    May 14, 2010
    It was okay, sure it's tense and good acting but doesn't show any terrifying battle scenes or sad emotionally wrenching scenes (which made other war films classics like Saving Private Ryan and Platoon), definitely didn't deserve best picture, which the film Avatar should have won.
  35. barbaraw
    Dec 18, 2009
    I really liked this movie. It made the confusion, fear of the war real. The humanism, the desire to do a job well, how the three members of this team got through the days differently..I thought it was great film making.
  36. JodyT
    Dec 21, 2009
    If this movie does not get an Oscar, something is terribly wrong in Hollywood!
  37. EF
    Oct 29, 2009
    I hate films that obey the Hollywood formula, with pointless explosions designed for 14 yr olds. This is not one of those films. Every year less than half a dozen films are actually any good in my opinion and this IS one of those. Good story involving unlikely friends, which doesn't try to embellish war. Some rope moments but generally good, not too sure about the ending. Good Solid Film.
  38. MichaelB.
    Jun 26, 2009
    Absolutely my favorite film so far in 2009. Incredibly tense action with a truly breakout performance by Renner. And Kathryn Bigelow fulfills her promise as a director, too. Just plain exceptional filmmaking.
  39. AlanZ
    Jun 27, 2009
    The Hurt Locker is a stunning and horrific achievement that will leave you with shattered tears. I would suggest not having any social plans after seeing this movie, you might be too broken for speech. I only wish that those who bear the responsibility of bringing us to this tragic place could be forced to watch what they have so recklessly created. This film borders on the masterful but The Hurt Locker is a stunning and horrific achievement that will leave you with shattered tears. I would suggest not having any social plans after seeing this movie, you might be too broken for speech. I only wish that those who bear the responsibility of bringing us to this tragic place could be forced to watch what they have so recklessly created. This film borders on the masterful but proceed with caution. Expand
  40. NotaryD
    Jun 28, 2009
    A nearly flawless film. The plot is simple, the characters complex, and the tension unbearable at times.
  41. JamesC
    Jun 29, 2009
    One of the greatest war films ever made (by man or woman). It's wonderful to see Kathryn Bigelow at the height of her artistry.
  42. ChaseR
    Jul 12, 2009
    The best Iraq war film to date, and one of the best war films of all-time.
  43. CydneyS
    Jul 10, 2009
    Last week a real stinker (public enemies)... to this week and one of the best films ever (hurt locker). No one breathed for the first hour. A film for both sexes. Fabulous fabulous fabulous.
  44. ChrisC
    Jul 15, 2009
    One of the best directed films I've ever seen. Manages to be realistic while still telling a compelling narrative, which is hard. Perfectly portrays the tension and constant threat from all sides you imagine the soldiers in Iraq have to face. Film of the year so far for me, by far.
  45. ZeeM
    Jul 15, 2009
    And Why Is This Movie Only In Limited Release? This is an absolute amazing movie, suspense, thrilling, nail bitting, hanging by a thread, on the edge of your seat fantastic. If this movie was in Wide Release, It would've made a lot!
  46. TimH
    Jul 15, 2009
    Pretty good, but for a movie about a explosives specialist defusing bombs in Iraq there weren't nearly enough explosions OR transforming robots.
  47. GraceM.
    Jul 17, 2009
    Offers the most realistic suspense and action I have ever seen. Mesmerizing.
  48. DennisB.
    Jul 18, 2009
    WOW! Unbelievable film. From the virtual cameos of James Morse and Guy Pearce, to the main players, nobody misses a beat. If you liked HBO's "Generation Kill," you'll love this film as a logical progression of the telling of the story of the Iraqi War. The performances and filming are so real, this movie makes you (MAKES YOU) empathize with the characters. You don't just WOW! Unbelievable film. From the virtual cameos of James Morse and Guy Pearce, to the main players, nobody misses a beat. If you liked HBO's "Generation Kill," you'll love this film as a logical progression of the telling of the story of the Iraqi War. The performances and filming are so real, this movie makes you (MAKES YOU) empathize with the characters. You don't just watch this film; you become a part of it. Expand
  49. Brit
    Jul 21, 2009
    The film IS both realistic and accurate. See it really puts a perspective on things.
  50. AlexL
    Jul 20, 2009
    A very gripping character study.
  51. TDKinDallas
    Jul 22, 2009
    I can't believe this movie is not in wide release. Extremely suspenseful! I had to keep telling myself to stop clenching my fists, repeatedly. I would have gave it a 10 if it had been more believable, but who cares? Go see this film. I agree with the other reviewer that this is a movie for civilians and thank goodness. I will be going again. I disagree with the reviewer about shaky I can't believe this movie is not in wide release. Extremely suspenseful! I had to keep telling myself to stop clenching my fists, repeatedly. I would have gave it a 10 if it had been more believable, but who cares? Go see this film. I agree with the other reviewer that this is a movie for civilians and thank goodness. I will be going again. I disagree with the reviewer about shaky camera work. I had to leave Cloverfield, but I never felt bad in this one and I really don't remember the shakiness. Expand
  52. MarkS
    Jul 22, 2009
    I've given myself a few days for the experience of "The Hurt Locker" to sink in, and am now convinced that it deserves a place on the same altar as "Full Metal Jacket," "Platoon," and "Saving Private Ryan." It is an entirely apolitical Iraq war film, but what's more: a thoroughly engrossing human drama about working in the most hazardous and unpredictable of conditions.
  53. JosephB
    Jul 25, 2009
    Extremely tense from the get go! Very much like the tension in from the Clouzet movie Wages of Fear. I found myself not breathing so as not to set something off.
  54. um.....yum?
    Aug 11, 2009
    Its a good movie, hovering above okay. The critics went high wire with this. I don't really support the troops, I don't think this war is necessary. We did this out of reaction and not thinking. This film definitely did not convince to have a respect for the troops but them again that wasn't the point of the movie. I don't like the characters especially the main Its a good movie, hovering above okay. The critics went high wire with this. I don't really support the troops, I don't think this war is necessary. We did this out of reaction and not thinking. This film definitely did not convince to have a respect for the troops but them again that wasn't the point of the movie. I don't like the characters especially the main character. He's annoying and arrogant. Their all overly masculine people and there was that conversation between the two guys talking and one if them makes fun of the other, teasing him that he probably went to Harvard. Its as if going to a good school is a pussy thing to do and war is for strong big boys that are real men, its all bull shit. I'm happy he got shot. There was some images that turned simple things like a bullet hitting the sand really beautiful. Overall, I liked this film. I came with a open mind and enjoyed myself. Its probably not gonna become the years best and I'm not sure if its gonna be up there but its better than a lot of stuff that came out this year especially this summer. Expand
  55. AronR
    Aug 1, 2009
    Regardless of the technical or militaristic accuracy of the film, (and I feel like I have to remind some reviewers here that making training videos and/or documentaries is NOT what Hollywood does) - this IS a fantastic piece of film-making that director, cast and crew should be enormously proud of. A must see for all film enthusiasts!
  56. GeoffR
    Aug 10, 2009
    Superb story, acting and cinematography. Definitely agree with Damion K, people need to know how to rate a movie, and th fact that this movie isn't totally realistic isn't the point. Its fantastic.
  57. shawn
    Aug 14, 2009
    Nicely acted. a taut thriller. and some really damn good cinematography. what i really appreciated was they didn't try to load the movie down with a central plot. the idea of some super sly enemy bomb maker would have ruined this movie. we've been there and done that one enough. barring the rampant inaccuracies i do lament that there was a missed opportunity to show the real Nicely acted. a taut thriller. and some really damn good cinematography. what i really appreciated was they didn't try to load the movie down with a central plot. the idea of some super sly enemy bomb maker would have ruined this movie. we've been there and done that one enough. barring the rampant inaccuracies i do lament that there was a missed opportunity to show the real carnage and utter horror these bomb makers inflict on the iraqi ppl. it was alluded to when the main character was back home. after reading a number of these reviews it occurs to me how polarizing this movie is. by those that have never served and those that have. i have served in one capacity or another for close to 20 years.13 yrs in uniform, these past 6 as a private contractor. its understandable why the military experienced will blanche and boil about this movie. but ur judging a HOLLYWOOD movie based on realism. that alone seems flawed in the extreme. u are applying a high level of bias to a purely fictional account because it doesn't sync with the reality we have experienced. its a movie ppl. rating this based on realism is like rating Star Wars on its realism. Hollywood is not in the business of realism its in the business of selling movies. get over yourselves. Expand
  58. Robn
    Aug 15, 2009
    I enjoyed it. It is entertaining and well-made, but does seem to lack some cohesion as far as plot and theme. Each scene feels like an independent episode from a mini-series rather than part of a film with an overall theme. The theme itself is not apparent until the end, at which point it is anti-climactic. The camera work and acting is great. I would describe it as an action/suspense I enjoyed it. It is entertaining and well-made, but does seem to lack some cohesion as far as plot and theme. Each scene feels like an independent episode from a mini-series rather than part of a film with an overall theme. The theme itself is not apparent until the end, at which point it is anti-climactic. The camera work and acting is great. I would describe it as an action/suspense popcorn movie more than a serious war film. Expand
  59. JonathanB
    Aug 16, 2009
    Just superb. Hush up all veterans and appreciate a rollicking good ride. Thanks.
  60. NedW
    Aug 16, 2009
    I completely understand why the service personnel here are angered by this film and I sympathize with them. An inaccurate portrayal of this war would anger me, too, had I been in the service, I am sure. However, I am not a soldier and was not one in 2004. I have little knowledge of how this kind of work really is carried out. I, too, wish that Ms. Bigelow and her writer had spent more I completely understand why the service personnel here are angered by this film and I sympathize with them. An inaccurate portrayal of this war would anger me, too, had I been in the service, I am sure. However, I am not a soldier and was not one in 2004. I have little knowledge of how this kind of work really is carried out. I, too, wish that Ms. Bigelow and her writer had spent more time making sure that they had their facts straight. As a viewer I wish that I had been shown a more correct picture of how the modern Expand
  61. Wes
    Aug 20, 2009
    As a service member I think some of my fellow colleagues are missing the point of the movie. Who cares how Hollywood is portraying us? We know the truth, and if civilians are dumb enough to think that's how we are then let them. I thought it was a good movie and worth the price of admission.
  62. SamF
    Aug 20, 2009
    This was an absolutely amazing film. Bigelow does an outstanding job at not only developing these great characters very well, but does a masterful job at building up the tension and suspense perfectly. Also, the performances (Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie in particular) are stellar. Overall, this is a great film and I hope people see this one.
  63. AnonymousMC
    Aug 2, 2009
    The sense of Iraq as a sort of moon landscape made for some great scenes. Music matched well overall, tension in early scenes was very high, even if it was over the top ridiculous and unrealistic. Movie breaks down around the half way point and doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. later scenes cross the line into stupid territory. I'd say it's a missed opportunity, hereThe sense of Iraq as a sort of moon landscape made for some great scenes. Music matched well overall, tension in early scenes was very high, even if it was over the top ridiculous and unrealistic. Movie breaks down around the half way point and doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. later scenes cross the line into stupid territory. I'd say it's a missed opportunity, here you've got a big beautiful podium with all the bells and whistles and a great art style and you get stage fright. It's mediocre overall but will wear way long in the tooth for most viewers. Expand
  64. AdamC
    Aug 2, 2009
    Outstanding and realistic warts and all realism makes this movie compelling viewing. This isn't a war movie. This is a movie about ordinary people who do an extraordinary job while facing their own problems.
  65. MichaelW
    Aug 24, 2009
    An instant classic which surpasses many of the most esteemed war films from the past. The Hurt Locker is on the short list of greatest war films ever made.
  66. BruceD
    Aug 25, 2009
    I don't even like war movies. But this is an amazing film. Perhaps even "perfect."
  67. BillyS.
    Aug 3, 2009
    Finally, a movie about the war in Iraq that has no political slant in either direction. A war movie about war and the soldiers fighting it. On that basis - Excellent.
  68. DaleM
    Aug 5, 2009
    This was a very different kind of war film. When you come right down to it, the horrors of the war in Iraq are probably nowhere near the horrors that WWI soldiers went through, especially the WWI presented in "All Quiet on the Western Front." However, in WWI the soldiers were by and large either drafter or duped into fighting for something they never really understood. In the Iraq War of This was a very different kind of war film. When you come right down to it, the horrors of the war in Iraq are probably nowhere near the horrors that WWI soldiers went through, especially the WWI presented in "All Quiet on the Western Front." However, in WWI the soldiers were by and large either drafter or duped into fighting for something they never really understood. In the Iraq War of The Hurt Locker, the soldiers are still fighting for something they don't quite understand. Many of the people they are supposedly fighting for would just as soon blow them up, and even the kids on the streets jeer at them. In Iraq, as contrasted to WWI, however, the soldiers are volunteers. What motivates them to fight and be brave? Is it possible they have become addicted to war? Sounds far-fetched but this film makes it seem pretty plausible. The soldier in this film has repeated edge-of-death experiences as would be expected since he has to defuse bombs. In his spare time, he tries to find a human face or a reason for why he is risking his life. For instance, perhaps he is really fighting for the young boy selling DVDs with whom he plays some soccer. Or perhaps, he is fighting for his buddies and comrades-in-arms. None of these quests for the meaning of war prove successful. Yet when he returns to peacetime in the states, life is even more meaningless. Only that edge-of-death, adrenaline-filled existence in war seems to have much meaning to him. Time to volunteer again! In WWI a soldier might have had a locker of mementos from home to remind him what he was fighting for. In Iraq, the soldier has a locker of mementos from all the edge-of-death experiences he has lived through. Expand
  69. hc
    Aug 5, 2009
    Felt shell shocked coming out of this film---really intense piece but with very little big action CG crap--yet psychologically totally thrilling. This is definitely a fictionalized story, but I don't care, the acting, direction, writing--structure--all of it was terrific.
  70. ScotT
    Aug 5, 2009
    Terrific movie......one of the better war movies I've seen.
  71. Danita
    Aug 6, 2009
    Great story line and acting with such a realistic feel and directing, it had an organic, documentary feel to it. Awesome all around. And funny if you had enough spine to laugh.
  72. IsaiahG
    Aug 6, 2009
    This film will keep you at the edge of your seat with adrenaline running through your veins. Through the most of the film the main character plays cat and mouse with armed explosives to save the lives of others including himself. This film is probably the best film this decade.
  73. JohnQ
    Aug 6, 2009
    This maybe be one of the best war movie's I have ever seen. It is equal to and in some ways better than Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket,and Platoon. I cannot remember a time when leaving a film with this feeling in my stomach. Apart from the brilliant suspense and action, apart being about war this film's messages is about human nature. It is most definitely a work of fiction. This maybe be one of the best war movie's I have ever seen. It is equal to and in some ways better than Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket,and Platoon. I cannot remember a time when leaving a film with this feeling in my stomach. Apart from the brilliant suspense and action, apart being about war this film's messages is about human nature. It is most definitely a work of fiction. People who criticize it as not being realistic missed the point entirely. I have never been blown away like this by a film EVER. If you have ever experienced something (no matter what it is ie, drugs, sex, danger, nature) that completely touches you to your core, and cause you to reevaluate how you want to live your life, then you will get this movie. The moral of the story has nothing to do with war, but of the wants and needs of the human physique. This film is absolutely brilliant and if you don't think so, your not smart enough to get it and are probably a dull shallow person. Expand
  74. JeffA
    Aug 8, 2009
    What a great film all around. I would be very interested to know how realistic this account is because I left the theater with a more profound respect for those who serve in our modern wars as well as a deep sadness for the world to which they return. The experience is as intense as it is educational.
  75. DamionK
    Aug 9, 2009
    First of all, to all the people who rated this movie as a zero, I've had to adjust my score up to a 10. A zero is a movie that makes no sense, has no acting, no plot and is so bad that you cannot sit through it. Rating movies as a zero is generally a testament of ignorance and blatant disregard for helping other people judge whether or not a movie is worth seeing. That being said, First of all, to all the people who rated this movie as a zero, I've had to adjust my score up to a 10. A zero is a movie that makes no sense, has no acting, no plot and is so bad that you cannot sit through it. Rating movies as a zero is generally a testament of ignorance and blatant disregard for helping other people judge whether or not a movie is worth seeing. That being said, this movie isn't necessarily about military accuracy, which is where so many people are getting hung up. The movie is broken down into psychoanalyzing the personalities of three very different people and their perspectives. On one hand, you have the cool, rational team member, Anthony Mackie (Sergeant JT Sanborn), whose sole goal is to survive the campaign. He is sharply contrasted by Jeremy Renner (Staff Sergeant William James) whose goal, apart from the adrenaline rush, is to make a difference in the lives of the people in Iraq. Brian Geraghty (Specialist Owen Eldridge) plays the intermediary - caught in a war he has no idea why he's involved, depicted by his inability and indecision about fighting unless absolutely provoked, but willing to do the best he can. The acting and cinematography in the movie is superb. Each of the three characters brings something different to the table. I was on edge for much of the movie because the people's perspectives, emotions, and actions were volatile to the point that there was no real predictable outcome. Anyone could die at any time, anyone could turn against each other (given the group dynamics), anyone could be left behind. The art direction of each combat scene shows you only what you need to see to establish the feeling of tenseness. It's simply fantastic. There was some "irrational decision making" that occurred during the movie (such as splitting up down alley ways to hunt for possible suspects). But you have to look at those scenes as more than just their face value. The particular scene in which the three team members split up, leads to a confrontation between Specialist Owen and Sergeant James in which William was forced to admit his guilt, mostly to himself. It was perhaps the first time, in a long time, that he had stepped outside of his own shoes to see what his decisions were doing to those around him. It is much more poetic than spelling things. If I had to complain about this movie, it would be that it went on a little bit longer than necessary. But it is hard to say what some of the established mood would have been if scenes were cut short. Expand
  76. Alan
    Sep 12, 2009
    Amazing. Great to see the people who cant appreciate a brilliant film. If you want to see a brainless big budget Hollywood action movie like transformers 2 etc, no1s stopping you. Oh and Hannah F, there isnt any British army in the film, its clearly a private company, the clues are obvious. Please think more
  77. CanaanB
    Sep 15, 2009
    Do not trust the naysayers, this movie was absolutely great!
  78. JamesG
    Sep 15, 2009
    Great movie, get over the lack of realism. Realistic scenarios would not have worked. The movie is about the tension and feeling of Iraq that it creates, and it does a good job. It does seem highly overrated by the critics, but I think there is really their way of telling the industry "give us more Iraq films!". Also keep in mind this film was sold for only 1.5 million, it was very low Great movie, get over the lack of realism. Realistic scenarios would not have worked. The movie is about the tension and feeling of Iraq that it creates, and it does a good job. It does seem highly overrated by the critics, but I think there is really their way of telling the industry "give us more Iraq films!". Also keep in mind this film was sold for only 1.5 million, it was very low budget. You have to adjust your expectations. All the ratings of zero are completely irresponsible. On no conceivable rating scale could this movie be a zero. People rating it a zero are really just saying they personally couldn't watch it given the lack of realism. That is completely different from how critics rate movies, critics do not just give their own idiosyncratic personal opinion. Expand
  79. MichaelM
    Sep 17, 2009
    Good film, not great. The camerawork really disappointed me. Some of it was spectacular, but some of it was shaky close ups that were just plain annoying. I Love artfully filmed close up shots, but I simply couldn't focus on what was being filmed or going on. Sniper scene in the desert was great. Acting was good, but nothing fabulous. Again, good movie, not great.
  80. JamesP
    Sep 6, 2009
    one of the most thrilling war movies ever made. Jeremy Renner is going to become one the new actor to look out for.
  81. rw
    Jan 16, 2010
    A very realistic and suspenseful film, with terrific acting (particularly from the lead actor) and well defined characters.
  82. Elwenil
    Jan 16, 2010
    Excellent from start to finish. A must have purchase on BluRay for the sound and visuals in HD. A story about soldiers doing a job in a war rather than another political statement that seems to always be hidden in movies like this. I'd compare The Hurt Locker to Black Hawk Down and if you liked BHD, you should like The Hurt Locker.
  83. AleneV.
    Jan 17, 2010
    Extraordinary. More than a war film - a profound human drama.
  84. EricL
    Jan 19, 2010
    Amazing. Not to be missed.
  85. TomR
    Jan 21, 2010
    I'd never heard of it until I rented it. I had zero expectations and was blown away by this movie. This is on par with "Full Metal Jacket." Each war makes a soldier wacky in its own unique way.
  86. peterC
    Jan 21, 2010
    Most definitely the best film of 2009. I'm reading a lot of negativity from some viewers here, as for example the ending was sudden. Thats war the there's no epic battle before you leave your duty behind and return home, so it being sudden in many regards went with the films depiction of the Iraq War. Also I did not see any hype behind this movie it just kinda crept in and took Most definitely the best film of 2009. I'm reading a lot of negativity from some viewers here, as for example the ending was sudden. Thats war the there's no epic battle before you leave your duty behind and return home, so it being sudden in many regards went with the films depiction of the Iraq War. Also I did not see any hype behind this movie it just kinda crept in and took a lot of people by surprise with no hype whatsoever. Though on the film. If you like war films that don't follow the over the top climatic battles and heroes like Saving Private Ryan, but prefer more subtle films that show it more so for how war really is, you will enjoy this film Expand
  87. EtienneW.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Masterclass, truly wonderful cinema. The detractorss of this movie don't get it, and I pity them for not being able to appreciate the genius of this production. To those that see and enjoy movies as high art, I envy you the thrill you are about to experience.
  88. JimH
    Jan 27, 2010
    I watched this as a personal double bill with Full Metal Jacket. While I would say that FMJ is flawed it also has higher dramatic points and more involvement int the end, including some gut wrenching, unforgettable sequences. Everything about Hurt Locker is done well. It's flawless. But that does not ensure greatness. A few days after seeing it I remember only a little about it: I watched this as a personal double bill with Full Metal Jacket. While I would say that FMJ is flawed it also has higher dramatic points and more involvement int the end, including some gut wrenching, unforgettable sequences. Everything about Hurt Locker is done well. It's flawless. But that does not ensure greatness. A few days after seeing it I remember only a little about it: mostly Brian Geraghty's scenes. He's given a juicy role and he fills it well. The rest is really merely good. Expand
  89. JamesH.
    Feb 12, 2010
    An intensely powerful film that relentlessly depicts the horrors the soldiers endure in Iraq. Well acted by everyone, very realistically filmed by director Kathryn Bigelow, it has a grittiness that adds to the tension. Completely believable, with many unforgettable scenes, the scene with the suicide bomber who gave himself up can't easily be forgotten. Disturbing, thought provoking An intensely powerful film that relentlessly depicts the horrors the soldiers endure in Iraq. Well acted by everyone, very realistically filmed by director Kathryn Bigelow, it has a grittiness that adds to the tension. Completely believable, with many unforgettable scenes, the scene with the suicide bomber who gave himself up can't easily be forgotten. Disturbing, thought provoking and unforgettable. Expand
  90. icecream
    Feb 13, 2010
    Its somewhere in the 8 rating and b grade. Not a A movie by any stretch, I just don't get how critics even exist on a professional level. Like a professional gambler there is no such thing.
  91. JoeM
    Apr 13, 2010
    This movie was easily the best of the year. I did a tour in Afghanistan, and for all the things that the director got wrong (lack of consequence for a variety of missteps, etc), she got the emotion and the feel right. (SPOILER ALERT) The best moment, to me: The absurdity of being a badass war hero overseas and returning home and dealing with picking out cereal.
  92. LalitaR.
    Apr 15, 2010
    I sometimes despair for the times we live in. If this film is a bore then almost every great film made in the '70s - the golden era of cinema, is a bore. In classic '70s style, The Hurt Locker moves along at a sharp clip, never getting sentimental or overly Hollywood, never manipulating the audience's emotions this way and that. There are no big punchlines, no designer cool I sometimes despair for the times we live in. If this film is a bore then almost every great film made in the '70s - the golden era of cinema, is a bore. In classic '70s style, The Hurt Locker moves along at a sharp clip, never getting sentimental or overly Hollywood, never manipulating the audience's emotions this way and that. There are no big punchlines, no designer cool worked into the dialogues, no over-scripted, movingly scored dramatic flourishes like the ones in Saving Pvt. Ryan and YET when the film gets over you are hit by a wave of emotions. You care more for Renner, Mackie and Geraghty than pretty much any character you watched all year. The script throws up several unexpected moments of wry ironic wit, it gets you caught up in the tightwire mental state of the characters without any fanfare. This is a rare film that confidently expects you to think, feel and discuss it well after the experience. You're haunted by how much the human spirit is being relentlessly stretched in such a lonely, desolate war waged in an unfamiliar, alienated terrain. This desolation is imprinted in our brains thanks to the stark, white sand covered images. The Hurt Locker has a resonance that's lasted 8 months since I saw it. IMO, the finest picture of the year took home the Oscar. Expand
  93. BillF
    Oct 11, 2009
    By far one of the best war movies made. This movie may or may not be an accurate representation of what bomb squads in Iraq are faced with but it is a fantastic film regardless.
  94. joeb
    Dec 17, 2009
    best film of the year - bar none.
  95. FrankR
    Oct 25, 2009
    this was an extremely intense movie, i was on the edge of my seat through the majority. For the naive people like RW who gave this movie a 0 because it's a "fairy tale set in current event setting", congratulations you just gave the exact definition of what a large selection of movies are, this one just happens to deal with a current event you are tied into and you took things this was an extremely intense movie, i was on the edge of my seat through the majority. For the naive people like RW who gave this movie a 0 because it's a "fairy tale set in current event setting", congratulations you just gave the exact definition of what a large selection of movies are, this one just happens to deal with a current event you are tied into and you took things personally. Get over it, it's a great movie. Expand
  96. MatthewM
    Jun 27, 2009
    Bigelow's POV work is incredible, sucking you into this hot, confusing, and terrifying world. Renner nails the gung-ho army ranger, who loves to stand out from his comrades but at the same time treat them like family. What I loved is how the soldiers are in a pointless battle that they cannot win or really change, yet they are committed and hooked to it... I am a film snob, but this Bigelow's POV work is incredible, sucking you into this hot, confusing, and terrifying world. Renner nails the gung-ho army ranger, who loves to stand out from his comrades but at the same time treat them like family. What I loved is how the soldiers are in a pointless battle that they cannot win or really change, yet they are committed and hooked to it... I am a film snob, but this is the only movie all year besides Sin Nombre that I really enjoyed. Expand
  97. PatN
    Jun 28, 2009
    Just watch it.
  98. EdN
    Jun 29, 2009
    Easily the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan and on par with Platoon. The film is real, restrained, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat for two and half hours. In a season dominated by movies inspired by and meant to sell toys, here at last is some honest-to-God filmmaking.
  99. SteveH
    Jul 11, 2009
    Very realistic movie with great acting. I'm not an Iraq veteren so I cannot vouch for authenticity but it seemed real. I think the movie was a bit too long and a few scenes didn't quite make it.

1. The result is an intense, action-driven war pic, a muscular, efficient standout that simultaneously conveys the feeling of combat from within as well as what it looks like on the ground.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    A near-perfect movie about men in war, men at work. Through sturdy imagery and violent action, it says that even Hell needs heroes.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Boal's script stirs a little of everything into the pot, which boils down into seven setpieces divided by brief intervals of camaraderie/conflict among the three protags.