7.2

1. Mar 7, 2014
    Please for anyone watching this move it is not at all accurate. EOD rarely disarms bombs as it is too dangerous. NCO's don't punch superiors in the face, you certainly would never find a SFC getting hammered drunk or sneaking off the fob by himself to interrogate someone, it is simply false. These are huge falsehoods that completely turn the move into 100% fiction beyond the fact thatPlease for anyone watching this move it is not at all accurate. EOD rarely disarms bombs as it is too dangerous. NCO's don't punch superiors in the face, you certainly would never find a SFC getting hammered drunk or sneaking off the fob by himself to interrogate someone, it is simply false. These are huge falsehoods that completely turn the move into 100% fiction beyond the fact that the war in Iraq actually happened. These would be the kinds of stories you would hear from an EOD private who was in the Green Zone for 12 months. Anyone else who ever set foot in the middle east can tell you what a complete load of BS this movie really is.

People may think that even an inaccurate war movie is better than none but that is simply not the case. This movie is an insult to everyone who spent even one second in Iraq and I am still amazed that it actually won an Oscar. That is just a travesty.
  2. SGTK
    Aug 6, 2009
    this is the worst movie about iraq. its totally inaccurate. it maks EOD out to be some sort of Special Forces and they're NOT. the things they do in this awful movie are not what the do over here.
  3. Dec 10, 2010
    Its a downward spiral with overated movies. Inception,Monsters. I cant help but think its the pitch and the hype that does it when the Emperor has no clothes. Lets say its 'Eagerly awaited, theirs 'Oscar Buzz' before it even comes out and without paying attention that the 'Buzz' is coming from the people who market the movie. I dont care who your are and how much you say you like this, IIts a downward spiral with overated movies. Inception,Monsters. I cant help but think its the pitch and the hype that does it when the Emperor has no clothes. Lets say its 'Eagerly awaited, theirs 'Oscar Buzz' before it even comes out and without paying attention that the 'Buzz' is coming from the people who market the movie. I dont care who your are and how much you say you like this, I say your lying to yourself as its slow paced and boring (odd for a explosives movie) yet I argue with a mass of people who are eager for the new McMsg burger because someone on tv told them to. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    I dont know WHAT have everyone found in this movie.Absolutely NO realism , horrible stroy about the stupid war done by American politiciand only for their own joy.Even the soldiers of US army laugh at it. You can call me stupid or something but i think - the only reason this film has got the Oscar - is because the women.You know what i am talking about.
    P.S I didnt want to hurt anyones
    P.S I didnt want to hurt anyones feeling with my report - sorry if i did.
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a movie about bombs. Lots of bombs. Desert bombs.

The End. That's pretty much it. Oh sure, a few other things happened. You wanna hear about 'em? OK. I'll provide you with a little more, oh faithful reader. I'm still not sure what the title The Hurt Locker refers to. It's not about well-secured first aid kits, nor is it about gymnasium facilities for actors William, John,
    This is a movie about bombs. Lots of bombs. Desert bombs.

The End.

I'm still not sure what the title The Hurt Locker refers to. It's not about well-secured first aid kits, nor is it about gymnasium facilities for actors William, John, or even Mary Beth.

This celluloid endeavor was directed by Kathryn Bigelow; the deft hand behind such legendary screen classics as Point Break and Blue Steel. It stars Jeremy Renner as Staff Sergeant William James, an expert at diffusing bombs. Joining him on the Explosivity Disposaling Unit are Sergeant JT Sanborn (Anthony Mackie), and Owen Eldrige (Brian Geraghty)

Renner has been nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. I'm not sure why this is. The supporting performances most notably Mackie's were, in my opinion, superior. All Renner did was act "cool". Oh, so "cool". Desert "cool". But if looking "cool" is the only criterion used for award recognition, then David Caruso should be nominated for a Nobel Prize.

The film centers mostly on the antics of Sergeant James. James loves dismantling things that can blow you into a zillion pieces. He'd rather do that than live a peaceful life in a nice home with his beautiful wife. We're shown some of his domestic life, but the movie doesn't show the good stuff. No. Instead we see him cleaning out the eavestrough of his house.

Now I've cleaned out a few roof gutters in my time, but the one depicted here has to be the gunkiest gutter in the history of home maintenance. And he's cleaning it out with his bare hand!!! C'mon, use a scoop, or a trowel, or a toy shovel, a stick, a shoe, anything. I'd rather diffuse bombs in Iraq than have to clean out that gutter in that fashion.

Another scene worth mentioning shows the guys after getting a little snockered engaging in an activity where good judgment and mental acuity would be a distinct disadvantage. The "game" involves taking turns hitting each other as hard as possible in the stomach. My wife, while watching this powerful and touching scene, turned to me and asked, "Why do men do those kind of things?"

You know, we men just have to chuckle when women ask us such questions. It was obvious to me, but I patiently explained it to her that this was a gesture of endearment. Women hug. Men try to smash the bejabers out of each other. It's their way of saying, "You're OK in my book." And nothing says it better than a ruptured spleen.

A word of warning here to those prone to seasickness: the camerawork in this film is of that hand-held style that so many directors are wont to use these days. I suppose they feel it gives their movies that gritty, realistic, documentary look which is ironic, since documentary filmmakers rarely use the technique anymore. Besides, if it's supposed to look realistic, then why don't I see the real world that way through my eyes? Although if I did, I'd be making an appointment and pronto with an ophthalmologist or a brain surgeon.

If you have a tough time watching this film due to that camera style, then avoid The Bourne Ultimatum at all costs. You would not survive. Its visuals are worse than any bone-jarring experience you could imagine

I once took a ride on a gigantically tall roller coaster. Its peak disappeared into the clouds. It was called the Red Ripper, or the Brown Streak, or the Green Puker something like that. Anyway, all I know is that I was smiling after that ride. I wasn't smiling after The Bourne Ultimatum.

In closing, I should say that even though I had some reservations about renting the DVD of The Hurt Locker, I was able to take something positive from it a lesson.

The lesson learned is, pay attention to your reservations.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    I really didn't like this movie. it obviously didn't deserve an Oscar as Avatar was nominated this year...
    What is the point of that movie? War is great? America f**k yeah? I dont know but I think 94/100 is too much as well as 7.1/10 I watched that film with good friends and all of them didn't like it. It was truly unacceptable as a movie. Thumbs down
  7. lesliemiller
    Mar 10, 2010
    This is a documentary masquerading as a movie. Critics may see a subtle narrative here but this is simply one staged, violent episode after another. WHY OH WHY DID THIS WIN BEST PICTURE???? Is this Hollywood at its anti-war self yet again?
  8. Mark
    Mar 27, 2010
    Movie looks good but is so unrealistic, but it shows why fake wrestling is so huge no brain drama.
  9. BarbaraK
    Aug 1, 2009
    I wanted to walk out, but stayed for my sister. I was shocked by the total lack of realism and the way EOD was portrayed. It made a mockery of the infantry guys. They don't hide!!! Makes me sick that this is getting such high marks. There are too many holes and unheard of procedures to list. Where was the consultant?? Total Hollywood movie. Many better out there.
  10. Mar 26, 2011
    I was extremely disappointed with this movie, the story is boring and the characters are impossible to like, there was only one good part and it was extremely short and had all of the movie been like that moment it would have been fantastic, but instead it's a bad movie that isn't enjoyable.
  11. Sep 2, 2013
    This movie works only because it appears so real, it's the source of the suspense, the action, the atmosphere, characters, plot... etc. This is also why it fails. While it may be more accurate than many other war movies, this one was built on realism. However an informed viewer will note that the movie does not portray well the soldiers' lives and the Iraq war. Many bomb squad members saidThis movie works only because it appears so real, it's the source of the suspense, the action, the atmosphere, characters, plot... etc. This is also why it fails. While it may be more accurate than many other war movies, this one was built on realism. However an informed viewer will note that the movie does not portray well the soldiers' lives and the Iraq war. Many bomb squad members said so themselves, including the ones that were interviewed by the movie makers. All the portrayed military operations are inaccurate. This movie is a lie. However can it still be viewed as a regular war action movie? I'm afraid not. Without the sense of reality the movie loses all interest. To conclude, not only does this movie fail at what it sells for, which is a close enough portrayal of wartime, it also fails as an action movie. The only praise I can give is the amazing work achieved by the actors. You will enjoy this movie though if you do not know much about the Iraq war, like most Americans unfortunately. Expand
  12. Jeff
    Jan 6, 2010
    As a Soldier, I had high hopes for this film. I'd heard great things, and couldn't wait to check it out. I was utterly disappointed - I heard over and over again that this movie captured what it's "really like over there." All it proved is that no one in Hollywood has a clue. Still.
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    This is an excellent example of the politics of movie making. It's been said that this movie will demonstrate how the war in Iraq is remembered. This upsets me due to the lack of realism. Most noticeably, the fact that three soldiers do not run into the darkness alone to chase something that they may have seen. Nor did we risk soldiers to defuse bombs past the first months. Further, it's aThis is an excellent example of the politics of movie making. It's been said that this movie will demonstrate how the war in Iraq is remembered. This upsets me due to the lack of realism. Most noticeably, the fact that three soldiers do not run into the darkness alone to chase something that they may have seen. Nor did we risk soldiers to defuse bombs past the first months. Further, it's a rip off of the Lethal Weapon prototype. Unstable white guy paired with veteran black guy and they have over the top adventure. But the real insult? From the accounts of multiple vets, I have been told that District 9 was more realistic as far as reminding them of combat situations. Expand
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    all my EOD friends thing this movie is the best comedy scifi they've ever seen. complete garbage, oscar winning my ass. I know people complain that it's a movie not a documentry, but come on you have to stick to reality at least a little bit. the scene where he pulls all those heavy artillary pieces out of the ground by the det cord and blasting caps... come on was he superman? each one ofall my EOD friends thing this movie is the best comedy scifi they've ever seen. complete garbage, oscar winning my ass. I know people complain that it's a movie not a documentry, but come on you have to stick to reality at least a little bit. the scene where he pulls all those heavy artillary pieces out of the ground by the det cord and blasting caps... come on was he superman? each one of those wieghs at least 50 pounds. This movie was "based" off of a soldiers EOD experience, if he had done half of what he said he did in the movie he'd still be jail. this is just another movie made to get an Oscar, nothing more Expand
  15. BillT
    Aug 9, 2009
    This film was garbage. I couldn't help laughing during the dramatic chase scene at the end of the movie, the tense sniper battle in the desert, the vigilante soldier's escape from his FOB, and the crazy soldiers drinking whiskey in their room. All four of these scenes were unrealistic. A British merc is unable to use a .50 cal sniper rifle to kill an insurgent sniper who is 350 This film was garbage. I couldn't help laughing during the dramatic chase scene at the end of the movie, the tense sniper battle in the desert, the vigilante soldier's escape from his FOB, and the crazy soldiers drinking whiskey in their room. All four of these scenes were unrealistic. A British merc is unable to use a .50 cal sniper rifle to kill an insurgent sniper who is 350 meters away? Want to know how to kill an insurgent at 350 meters away? Pick-up your M-4 and use your scope to shoot him. I had trouble watching this film because it was so unrealistic and boring. I hope people don't consider The Hurt Locker to be THE Iraq War movie. If you want to see a good movie about the war, watch Generation Kill. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2011
    That people are giving this movie a ten, and that it won an Oscar shows just how desperately out of touch Americans are. Gross inaccuracies aside, and this movie is riven with them, the fact that this director had so much going for her in terms of the innate interest stories like this generate, and the timeliness of its release, and she blew it so completely, is very telling. It tells ofThat people are giving this movie a ten, and that it won an Oscar shows just how desperately out of touch Americans are. Gross inaccuracies aside, and this movie is riven with them, the fact that this director had so much going for her in terms of the innate interest stories like this generate, and the timeliness of its release, and she blew it so completely, is very telling. It tells of incompetence, and indifference to the people she pretends to care for and about. If she really cared, then the amateur to the stark errors she makes in this movie would have been removed, and she would have gotten at least some things right. Otherwise you're just out to make a name for yourself, and f*** you for that. Expand
  17. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the more over-praised movies in recent memory - really just another hyperkinetic mess from Kathryn Bigelow (one of the more over-praised directors working today). The main character is a cliche, the "loose-cannon" action hero, only in this case there is no explanation for his risk taking. Jeremy Renner plays the character with his typical lack of range or subtlety. The onlyOne of the more over-praised movies in recent memory - really just another hyperkinetic mess from Kathryn Bigelow (one of the more over-praised directors working today). The main character is a cliche, the "loose-cannon" action hero, only in this case there is no explanation for his risk taking. Jeremy Renner plays the character with his typical lack of range or subtlety. The only interesting actor is Ralph Fiennes as the leader of a band of mercenaries, but he's only on screen for a few minutes. Altogether a waste of time. Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2014
    I suspect the high reviews that critics have given this is due more to the fact the media is filled with liberal defeatist cowards because the film itself was boring, boring, boring. I could hardly stay awake.
  19. Aug 24, 2014
    I understand the importance of creating heroes surrounding the American military; however, I found this depiction overly run-of-the-mill. Sure, Jeremy Renner gives a fine performance--but I'm left missing some much needed heart.
  20. Jan 29, 2011
    the worst movie I've seen.... is not about war.... is about American idea of hero... Its boring and don't have argument ... I can't understand how this movie won an oscar
  21. Sep 7, 2011
    I seriously felt like shooting my self in the head...... over Americanised **** basically all hyped up trying to say Americans are the heroes even though they have killed more of their own than they have saved (SPASTICS) XD
  22. GrantS.
    Mar 9, 2010
    This piece of crap won Academy Awards? What a sad state of affairs the film industry is in.
  23. Jan 24, 2011
    Meh, I'm just gonna cut the **** this is one horrible movie. The fact that it won best picture of the year just shows how hollywood is all biased and about politics and congress. Over the years, the oscars have become nothing but a pitiful embarrassing sham with incredibly ridiculous nominees and arrogant hosts. You might as well pin it next to the VGAs in how pathetic it is. It's plot?Meh, I'm just gonna cut the **** this is one horrible movie. The fact that it won best picture of the year just shows how hollywood is all biased and about politics and congress. Over the years, the oscars have become nothing but a pitiful embarrassing sham with incredibly ridiculous nominees and arrogant hosts. You might as well pin it next to the VGAs in how pathetic it is. It's plot? You've heard it before, some guy goes to iraq, shows the hardships of the war, some people die, comes back to america, goes back, done. Nothing of interest or originality at ALL in this movie. Hell there's not even a story. Best part of all is the stereotypical black guy as the tough militant, nothin against black people, but the way they always portray them as bad ass military guys in tight uniforms is laughable. Really it's just an advertisement for the american military and government. It has what the government wants. Portray the US as the good guy and Iraq as the bad guy. Make working for the military look bad ass with some sniper rifle scenes and you got yourself a subliminal message "join the military" and a good ol **** you to avatar. Expand
  24. TimC.
    Feb 3, 2010
    I have completed 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US ARMY. This was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing in this movie is the way things are done over there. Nobody drives around by themselves! Nobody leaves their FOB by themselves to "investigate" somebody. EOD does not even come out at night. They wait until the next day to use the robot to blow up the IED. They I have completed 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US ARMY. This was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. Nothing in this movie is the way things are done over there. Nobody drives around by themselves! Nobody leaves their FOB by themselves to "investigate" somebody. EOD does not even come out at night. They wait until the next day to use the robot to blow up the IED. They hardly ever, ever make "the walk" as the movie so ridiculously put it. Anyway, do not think this movie is the way it is. This movie is complete make believe!!! Expand
  25. Feb 4, 2011
    this movie is a disgrace to the armed forces and has debased the Academy Awards by winning the Oscar for best movie. If you like cowboy movies, you'll recognise the characters but feel let down by pretty much everything else.
  26. davew
    Feb 15, 2010
    An awful movie ! how this is up for 9 oscars ill never know, poor storyline, many errors in the film, such as a guy being able to pick up a barrett 50cal and with less than 5 shot be totally comfortable with a weapon like that!! utter rubbish even fully trained snipers very rarely get there hands on a Barrett and to be able to pick off a moving target with a headshot at what looked to be An awful movie ! how this is up for 9 oscars ill never know, poor storyline, many errors in the film, such as a guy being able to pick up a barrett 50cal and with less than 5 shot be totally comfortable with a weapon like that!! utter rubbish even fully trained snipers very rarely get there hands on a Barrett and to be able to pick off a moving target with a headshot at what looked to be upwards of 800m is near on impossible for the world best let alone a bomb disposal guy who had just picked it up with no idea how the weapon is zeroed in !!!!! utter rubbish!!!! best War film in Years ??? give me a break!!! Expand
  27. JesseL.
    Feb 8, 2010
    Anybody who has been over to Iraq will laugh at this movie. It's a joke. It's almost as if the creators of this movie didn't get any professional military input at all. Whats frustrating for me, as well as everybody else who has been there and done that, is that they sold this movie and advertised it as the "real deal" and how this is a good example of "what things are Anybody who has been over to Iraq will laugh at this movie. It's a joke. It's almost as if the creators of this movie didn't get any professional military input at all. Whats frustrating for me, as well as everybody else who has been there and done that, is that they sold this movie and advertised it as the "real deal" and how this is a good example of "what things are really like over there". There are so many innaccuracies in this movie, some downright lies, that it was hard for me to watch and take it seriously. From that viewpoint, this was absolutely the worst movie of the year. It could have been a decent movie had they not made it out to be this realistic war drama about life in Iraq. Expand
  28. Jul 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first time I saw the trailer of the movie, I thought it would´ve been an interesting one. I was wrong. It started OK but from there on it was totally boring. Critics applaud the film for the "suspense" in it and the performance by Jeremy Renner and its photography and storyline. What storyline? The film features a lot of "tense ful" bomb defusing moments or in other words, "suspenseful" situations one after another that, really, lead to no conclusion. The guy easily defuses the bombs with almost no problems. A rookie soldier would've made those scenes a little bit more tense...maybe. The characters were forgettable. There is no character development in the film. The scene where James is trying to "find out" who killed the little Beckham also has no conclusion because he just randomly went to the house of this professor and asked what happened to the boy and moments later he goes back to his base. Also that night, the bomb squad heads to this place where, yes you guessed it, another bomb has blown. And the three are in pursue of the responsibles for that bomb. In the end, one of them gets shot and no one is captured. Bottom line, the film's about suspense situation after suspense situation that lead to no conclusion. A great film is one that introduces new artistic ways for filmmaking, a good story, which this film does not have, good character development and a good screenplay and the list goes on and on. The Hurt Locker has nothing of those. Expand
  29. PeterR
    Aug 10, 2009
    I am so glad some of our men and women in the armed forces are speaking up about the inaccuracies in this film. I didn't like this film for other reasons, but know that I have read their comments here, I am angry, appalled and embarrassed. Bigelow didn't claim this film is realistic, but she sure seemed to try to pass it off as such, and the critics and others ate it right up. I I am so glad some of our men and women in the armed forces are speaking up about the inaccuracies in this film. I didn't like this film for other reasons, but know that I have read their comments here, I am angry, appalled and embarrassed. Bigelow didn't claim this film is realistic, but she sure seemed to try to pass it off as such, and the critics and others ate it right up. I truely am embarrassed that this film is getting the "special treatment" from critics that should know better. Sad. Expand
  30. PeterB
    Aug 10, 2009
    I realize I'm way in the minority on not liking this movie. Like Jarhead, this is another movie that portrays most in the military as pychos or malcontents. Is it too hard to have a more balanced view? Yes, there are some of these types in the military, but the majority are great Americans. On a side note, anyone in the military will just shake their heads at quite a few implausible I realize I'm way in the minority on not liking this movie. Like Jarhead, this is another movie that portrays most in the military as pychos or malcontents. Is it too hard to have a more balanced view? Yes, there are some of these types in the military, but the majority are great Americans. On a side note, anyone in the military will just shake their heads at quite a few implausible situations. Expand

1. The result is an intense, action-driven war pic, a muscular, efficient standout that simultaneously conveys the feeling of combat from within as well as what it looks like on the ground.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    A near-perfect movie about men in war, men at work. Through sturdy imagery and violent action, it says that even Hell needs heroes.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Boal's script stirs a little of everything into the pot, which boils down into seven setpieces divided by brief intervals of camaraderie/conflict among the three protags.