7.1

1. Oct 26, 2011
    With only one word am going to describe this film - AMAZING. I must admit that it is absolutely fantastic. From George Clooney directing to Ryan Gosling, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Paul Giamatti acting. It will definitely gonna be a strong contender at the upcoming award season.
  2. Oct 7, 2011
    A perfect movie. Feels almost like a vignette in scope, kind of a truncated story that might have made a fascinating cable TV show, but it feels complete and it's satisfying. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Gosling - turned on by his talent, turned off by his hipster vanity. But this one won me over. He's perfect, as is Clooney who gives the best performance I've ever seenA perfect movie. Feels almost like a vignette in scope, kind of a truncated story that might have made a fascinating cable TV show, but it feels complete and it's satisfying. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Gosling - turned on by his talent, turned off by his hipster vanity. But this one won me over. He's perfect, as is Clooney who gives the best performance I've ever seen from him. Hoffman is impeccable, as always. My only complaint, why do they keep giving Jeffery Wright such WEAK ROLES. He's one of the most interesting actors in the game. Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2011
    Message BodyMy reviewers about the webpage
    my review is Iâ
  4. Dec 30, 2011
    A script risky, envelope, a story that plays with characters who begin to love and then despise the scum they are, the double standards, lack of loyalty, mistrust and manipulation makes this film a true delight.
  5. Oct 22, 2011
    Expect it to be nominated for awards. The glimpses of guilt, coldness, and desire in the actors' portrayals create a poignant study of power and the human need for redemption. In this film, salvation doesn't come from politics; it must be sought elsewhere, if at all.
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    Physically compare experienced political operatives with their interns. More than wrinkled faces and less hair up top separates them. The interns still have fresh ideals and expectations of the candidates they choose to support; the experienced staffers know better. There was a point on a campaign in their past where their own ideals took a left turn; a point where reality jumped up andPhysically compare experienced political operatives with their interns. More than wrinkled faces and less hair up top separates them. The interns still have fresh ideals and expectations of the candidates they choose to support; the experienced staffers know better. There was a point on a campaign in their past where their own ideals took a left turn; a point where reality jumped up and showed them no candidate is perfect and a time when it became less about the future of tomorrow and more about just beating the other guy. Stephen Myers (Ryan Gosling) is at the intersection. He is the number two on Governor Mike Morrisâ Expand
  7. Oct 18, 2011
    A tense and gripping political thriller. It may seem obvious that this happens behind the scenes in politics, but that doesn't make it any less emotionally riveting. Great writing, superb acting, (especially by Seymour Hoffman and Clooney), and an interesting lead in Ryan Gosling make this 2011's best adult thriller.
  8. Nov 6, 2011
    This was a really good and suspenseful movie. Award deserving performances all around, from George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Ryan Gosling. This movie was excellent. I had sudden and unexpected endings though, but i enjoyed every minute of this movie. Must see film, 9.5/10
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    Very intelligent presentation of sequence of events. The ides of march has been the closest representation of the actual political process that I have seen in a long while. Still missing how influenced our society is on a term I hold in confidence until a later date
  10. Oct 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent characterizations, fine plot, and terrific acting. The critics sometimes just do not seem to "get it". One notable critic described this movie as "flat". What was he seeking? I am not sure how this film could have been much better. Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2012
    Very gripping movie about loyalty and betrayal. Gosling and Clooney succesfuy lead the incredibly well picked cast. It keeps you in the whole time and sets up perfectly for the final shot that will leave you thinking. Should have been nominated for best picture. (A-)
  12. May 9, 2013
    George Clooney directs and stars in The Ides of March, a film that leaves the viewer wondering just where the silver lining is when it comes to politics. In a cleverly crafted and well written piece, trust, loyalty and greed are all explored in this excellent film.
    Ryan Gosling is hotshot junior campaign manager Stephen Meyers, who is working for hopeful Democratic Presidential candidate Mike Morris in the Democratic primary in Ohio. Meyers is working primarily for Paul Zara, played by the fantastic Philip Seymour Hoffman, who is the senior campaign manager.
    But when a meeting between Meyers and the senior campaign manager of the opposition, Tom Duffy (Paul Giamatti) sends out all the wrong signals, especially in Meyers own head, he must try and take control of the situation which he himself created, but throw into the mix his relations with intern Molly (Evan Rachel Wood), which continues to cause more problems for his reputation, and he must try and figure out a way out of a situation he didn't create.
    The film does show a very shady and at times awful glance into the state of politics, the devices used to gain votes, the distaste for the press and how feeding them information can have all sorts of repercussions, and of course the personal politics that go on within a campaign itself. Gosling expertly portrays an individual who knows he is at the top of his game, but can only go higher, perhaps he wasn't going to jump ship, but its was his actions of actually meeting with the opposition that shows his character flaw, he is just too big for his boots.
    George Clooney's character brims with confidence and flare at every opportunistic moment, whether he is speaking to the press or his 'brain trust' there is rarely a moment where his guard is down. Philip Seymour Hoffman is on excellent form, the veteran of the fold who knows what is what, and doesn't take kindly who to betrayal.
    But I think creating such an array of goal oriented characters can leave a sour taste for them in your mouth. Basically its hard to feel any sort of emotion towards them, simply because action after action is selfish, all to benefit number one. Not a massive drawback of the film, but certainly something to ponder.
    A thought provoking and clever political caper, shady, intelligent and overall very enjoyable.
  13. Dec 2, 2011
    Dont really see why this movie got under 70% on metacritic. It had great acting, good dialogue and was fun to watch. Solid 8/10 for me. I expected an average movie but in the end it was very above average.
  14. Jan 8, 2012
    Great story with it´s self ironie, but I was absolutely stunned and suprised by the play of ryan gosling and his character development. so the movie has it all: some drama, some characters you have to like and to dislike and a developement of the maincharacters, that absolutly fit in the plot.
    I really loved every role beginning from the governor to the journalist to the naive campaign manager who trys to defend his personal beliefs, just to learn that it doesn´t fit into this world...
    still flashed. great work.
  15. Aug 18, 2012
    Normally I don't care much for political films but this one has realy very pleasantly surprised me as one of the best movies of 2011 and probably the best movie directed by Clooney. Ryan Gosling is exellent as always and the cast delivers superb performances allround. It's a disgrace that this movie was only nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and not for Best Film, cause most films inNormally I don't care much for political films but this one has realy very pleasantly surprised me as one of the best movies of 2011 and probably the best movie directed by Clooney. Ryan Gosling is exellent as always and the cast delivers superb performances allround. It's a disgrace that this movie was only nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and not for Best Film, cause most films in that category aren't even close. So highly recommended! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Oct 24, 2011
    Entertaining while you're watching it but, as deceptive as a party's election promises, there's less to it than meets the eye.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 7, 2011
    The film is actually fairly entertaining once you get past its overweening desire to be the bearer of bad tidings. A more adventuresome movie would have treated the down-and-dirty world of politics as its starting, not its ending, point.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Oct 7, 2011
    Both taut and satisfyingly relevant, it presents a portrait of a compromised elections system -- one that should give the left wing, the right wing and the fringe-dwelling nutjobs something they can all agree on. Namely: We're in deep doo-doo.