7.4

1. Jan 14, 2012
    The Illusionist is one of the best animated movies of all times. Is unbelievable the levels of emotion that can reach this movie with little dialogue, sad colors and simple characters. The protagonist is a failed magician trying to survive in a Europe that has no time for that kind of entertainment and where is not possible to dream. But one day, he meets a girl who believes that his magic tricks are real. That girl represents our childhood, but everyone must grow up and be mature enough to accept the reality. On the other hand, the illusionist recreates the figure of Jacques Tati and represents a lost concept by cinematography, the dignity of the loser; if things dont work out, find another way of living or simply walk away.
    In this movie are noticeable the same ideas that treat Sylvain Chomet in The Triplets of Belleville: poor environments with no possibility of dreaming, failure of the show business and a life where is not escape from reality, no matter how cruel or dream destroyer could be.
    This film is beautiful, charming and it will touch you heart, because everyone like their childhood, but this movie is a slap on the face that brings you to the adults world.
  2. Jan 17, 2011
    you have to like a movie that you must watch start to finish.. and this is one of them. their is twists and turns that i did not see coming. this one is a hit. will be in my personal library for a long while..
  3. Feb 8, 2011
    Best animated of the year 2010. Beautiful film with classic animation, visually stunning. The story is emotional and touching. It compares old time culture with the new dull pop culture.
  4. Aug 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Illusionist is something very special indeed. It's beautiful, funny and tragic in equal measure. The animation is superb, and the world we witness is populated with a plethora of unique characters, some of which are only visible for a few moments, others who recur throughout the film. The most heartbreaking aspect of the film is the emotional journey the two main characters undergo. Both Alice and Tatischeff are forced to grow up. Alice begins the story full of childhood wonder and innocence, but as she reaches the city she undergoes a transformation into a young woman. Tatischeff rather more tragically is unable to find success, and is forced to take on steadily more humiliating jobs. He ends up turning his back on the trade he loves and has dedicated his life to, as he is unable to keep up with changing times. The Illusionist's real achievement, as was the case with Chomet's previous animated feature, Belleville Rendez-vous, is that it conveys such vivid characters and such a wide variety of emotions without the use of dialogue - what little language used is largely inaudible, so to effectively connect with the characters, we rely almost completely on the quality of the animation. In a lesser film this could never work, but in The Illusionist, this works wonders. Every aspect of the film - the animation, characterisation, narrative, music and themes, are quite simply magic. Expand
  5. May 31, 2013
    It's an interesting film, very unique, and there aren't many like it. It has that Disney-esque type magic to it without being made by Disney or Pixar. Its a truly beautiful movie. It truly did deserve a nomination for best picture of 2010, it was amazing! I just cannot express how much I loved it. It had great emotional timing, it was extremely entertaining, its beautiful, charming, heartfelt, classic, stunning, touching, unique, interesting, and just amazing! I recommend it to all people, not just kids, but adults, you will like it too! Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2013
    The perception of ANIMATION has tainted most of the reviews. To tell a story is unique, and not limited to the perception of the viewer or the storyteller. To truley reach the audience one must simply present content, therin lies the connection we all comment on, negative or positive, we talk.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Feb 25, 2011
    A beautifully uncomplicated story, really -- about the love between daddies and their little girls.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Feb 10, 2011
    He (Chomet) keeps us waiting for a narrative payoff that will equal that visual splendor, and he makes us think that many small inspired touches will add up to something memorable. But when he opens his hand at last, there's nothing in it.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Feb 10, 2011
    Absolutely mandatory viewing for aspiring animators and filmmakers. (In terms of pacing, scoring, editing, and narrative, it's a film school unto itself.) For the rest of us, however, it's simply magic.