The Importance of Being Earnest

8.4

1. J.D.
    Jul 8, 2002
    No, it's not a serious flick.. To sit and rationalize this film would be like trying to rationalize a Monty Python project. It's a light and extremely funny English comedy. Those who gave it a low score must've thought otherwise. It's everything Oscar Wilde was.. ingenious, witty, and endearing. Colin Firth & Dame Judi Dench were phenominal! I suppose the purists out No, it's not a serious flick.. To sit and rationalize this film would be like trying to rationalize a Monty Python project. It's a light and extremely funny English comedy. Those who gave it a low score must've thought otherwise. It's everything Oscar Wilde was.. ingenious, witty, and endearing. Colin Firth & Dame Judi Dench were phenominal! I suppose the purists out there want the whole movie to be set in a drawing room, as in the play.. gee, I bet Miramax would REALLY back it then. (laughing) If you're into intelligent word play and classic comedies, I think you will love "The Importance of Being Earnest". Expand
  2. EmilyG.
    May 30, 2003
    This movie was hilarious!!! The acting is great, Judy Dench, Rupert Everett, Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth are great, and the settings are really cool. Some older plays that are converted into movies are stupid, but this one is awsome!
  3. SimonD.
    Oct 5, 2002
    Brilliant adaptation for the screen, you can't see the join where extra pieces have been added for the sake of continuity and dramatic effect. Wilde would have been pleased with it!
  4. DamianP.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Brilliant play (that's an understatement) but, despite this and the fine acting, something was missing from the movie version.
  5. AnneH.
    Great one
  6. BlancoA.
    Jun 17, 2002
    I enjoyed this movie, but not quite as much as another somewhat recent Ruppert Everett film, "An Ideal Husband." I didn't like Reese Witherspoon nearly as much as I thought I would, but Frances O'Conner is terrific. Colin Firth is brilliant as usual. I especially didn't enjoy the idyllic fantasy sequences associated with Reese's diary entries. They didn't fit the I enjoyed this movie, but not quite as much as another somewhat recent Ruppert Everett film, "An Ideal Husband." I didn't like Reese Witherspoon nearly as much as I thought I would, but Frances O'Conner is terrific. Colin Firth is brilliant as usual. I especially didn't enjoy the idyllic fantasy sequences associated with Reese's diary entries. They didn't fit the type of humor involved in the story. Expand
  7. Chang
    Jul 13, 2002
    Great movie great actors! I most prefer colin firth!
  8. SierraRae
    Sep 25, 2002
    Highly entertaining and amusing. Follows the play closely, except in locations. I really enjoyed the humor and the actors that protrayed the characters.
  9. MobyB.
    Jul 18, 2006
    Extraordinary dialogue, Wilde's screwball plot--worthy of an award for comedic geometry---a cast that knows how to let the lines take centerstage. Critics who pan the way the director "opens" the play are misleading. Any faults here are secondary. The film itself succeeds with wit and bmself.
  10. ClareA.
    May 23, 2002
    This is a great movie that stands on its own merits. It doesn't need to be compare to the book or to any previous releases. Colin Firth is not only great in his acting, but very delicious to watch.
  11. Ms.SMDarcy
    May 24, 2002
    Good script, creative director, excellent Jack Worthing with a perfect cast. Wilde would have been pleased.
  12. MarkL.
    May 24, 2002
    Wit, bons mots, gorgeous sets, ultra talented cast! What more could one want? Run to see it!
    May 26, 2002
    Loved it--this is not your father's Wilde! Funny, breezy, a bit zany and great cast.
  14. PhilH.
    May 26, 2002
    I want to move to England!
  15. AndreasL.
    Nov 25, 2002
    The movie is like many converted plays........ not as good as the book!! although it was a delight to watch! Not sure about the hot air balloon used in one of the scenes in the movie!!
  16. FrankieB.
    May 23, 2002
    Wonderfully witty. A visual feast!
  17. ChristineM.
    Great - I loved it!!!
  18. KristiB.
    May 23, 2002
    A super enjoyable movie, had the entire theater in fits of laughter. Please don't compare it to the 1952 version, remakes are supposed to have their own identity...cheers to Oliver Parker. Colin Firth is a standout among the cast although they all do a fantastic job. Can't wait to see it again!!
  19. CecileD.
    May 23, 2002
    Colin Firth is the best actor in the world today. Many people have overlooked him. We love him in everything.
  20. MatthewW.
    May 25, 2002
    Love the new adaptation and perspective. A breath of fresh air!
  21. IsabelC.
    Dec 28, 2002
    This movie tried so hard to be as witty as the Wilde play, but in the end it failed for me. It had amusing and clever moments, but in the end it all became rather tiresome and silly.

1. Parker "opens up" a play that was perfectly wonderful closed down. Wilde subtitled his masterpiece "A Trivial Comedy for Serious People." This movie seems intent on being a trivial comedy for trivial people.
  2. The result is a frustrating, boring mess.
    These actors have a firm playful grasp and a palpable affection for their characters' befuddled dignity and attraction. They understand what Wilde meant by the importance of being earnest.