Summit Entertainment | Release Date: December 21, 2012
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 305 Ratings
WATCH NOW
LinttaFlamingoMar 19, 2017
It's great. The tsunami works, the acting works. It just works. Maybe a bit too depressing for a second watch but overall the whole thing is a shockingly realistic recreation of the 2004 tsunami.
alessandrovergnJan 23, 2017
One start because the tsunami scene is technically realistic. That's all, you can change channel or change movie just after that, the movie is so unbearably and annoyingly predictable that is a real waste of time to watch. The lucky familyOne start because the tsunami scene is technically realistic. That's all, you can change channel or change movie just after that, the movie is so unbearably and annoyingly predictable that is a real waste of time to watch. The lucky family survives and everybody else dies...what a shame and an insult for the people who really suffered in this event. Expand
HazzaGallaDec 26, 2016
The Impossible does an excellent job in capturing the genuine horror and extent of the Boxing Day tsunami, which left only pain and destruction in its path. The movie turns dark and depressing pretty quickly once the disaster occurs. TheThe Impossible does an excellent job in capturing the genuine horror and extent of the Boxing Day tsunami, which left only pain and destruction in its path. The movie turns dark and depressing pretty quickly once the disaster occurs. The movie does however flatline at times and during other times tends to focus on other characters more than others. However, the performances, direction and realistic feel of the movie are great and the inclusion of miniatures and real sets also should be praised. Solid disaster movie, with genuine weight. Expand
shiftworkerNov 30, 2016
Disaster movie. Ewan McGregor's family on holiday are divided by the Boxing day tsunami and try to reunite. Expect to be carried along on a wave of water and then another of intense emotions.
greatjumel08Aug 8, 2016
Natural Calamities like volcanic eruption, earthquake or tsunami are out of our control. But how we handle the situation is our responsibility. The Impossible (2012) is a dramatic story about a family who have their vacation when a disasterNatural Calamities like volcanic eruption, earthquake or tsunami are out of our control. But how we handle the situation is our responsibility. The Impossible (2012) is a dramatic story about a family who have their vacation when a disaster came. The tsunami that washed out everything where only faith is their hope. The film portrays how this family survived and how unpredictable life is. If you are so tired of you life, watch this movie and you'll realize something. Enjoy! Expand
DanyeliJul 3, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is another great real life story (modified obviously) that gets turned into an insipid film. It could have been a great film since its based on a great story, but it lacks the profundity to really get it because it stays superficial. You can almost forget about the natural disaster and about how fragile life is. You just see this family making questionable decisions at times, the mother crying and moaning most of the movie and desperation of being lost. You can almost forget that this family is VERY blessed since they all ended up alive. I guess that wasn't important to the director as to show Naomi's breasts a few times. How was that useful? Even though it wasn't sexually oriented, it was completely unnecessary. She is a great actresses, she can do well without showing her nipple a couple of times. It just makes me feel that producer picked up a tearjerker story and mixed it up with breast flashes. Expand
SpangleJun 10, 2016
A powerful and truly emotionally harrowing drama, The Impossible is a stirring and inspirational film about the human spirit, survival, and love. Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and Tom Holland, are all incredible and emotionally powerful in thisA powerful and truly emotionally harrowing drama, The Impossible is a stirring and inspirational film about the human spirit, survival, and love. Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and Tom Holland, are all incredible and emotionally powerful in this film about a true story set in the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. While it was criticized for being whitewashed, the film's story is simply too powerful to be constricted by race and instead it is a truly human story. Additionally, the cinematography and special effects are truly breathtaking. From beginning to end, I was struck by the beauty of this film and it really contributed to the overall inspiration and feel of the film. The direction from JA Bayona was very good and it reinforced my belief that he is a guy to watch and keep an eye on. Overall, The Impossible is a truly harrowing film that both breaks and warms your heart with ease thanks to its powerful premise and effective approach to its true material. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 6, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: It's a very personal tale of two desperate situations that come together in the most beautiful way, the cast are all excellent too. Also, it wasn't over dramatised yet the effects (and cinematography) are still great.
WHAT I
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It could have been a little shorter to maintain full audience interest throughout.
VERDICT: This is what a disaster movie should be, a desperate and heartfelt tale of some beautifully protrayed characters.
chepod8Jun 14, 2015
No es una historia típica donde nos aconglojamos por el desastre que provoca la naturaleza, el temor verdadero viene con sus consecuencias, de tener tan cerca y tan lejos a tu familia en un momento apremiante.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Impossible" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"The Impossible" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: Extremely intense reenactment of the Indonesian tsunami. The film does a great job depicting the native people of Thailand as they reached out to help tourists from other countries despite the fact that they had just lost everything. Great acting, though I feel that McGregor should have gotten the award buzz over Watts.

The Bad: Becomes extremely slow in the middle. I understand that it was based on a true story and accuracy was important, but very little happens for a good hour of the film. Despite a 1:53 runtime (typical for films of this nature), the slow pace made it feel a little longer.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
This film made the impossible actually possible for us. This is one of the most moving films I've ever seen. Naomi Watts and her son, played by Tom Holland, give truly gifted performances.
MovieGuysDec 22, 2013
With dramatic disaster sequences and many truly heartfelt moments, The Impossible does "the impossible": it creates a disaster movie that is actually realistic and has a heart. Although it may get a little "Hollywood" in the final third, theWith dramatic disaster sequences and many truly heartfelt moments, The Impossible does "the impossible": it creates a disaster movie that is actually realistic and has a heart. Although it may get a little "Hollywood" in the final third, the movie is forgiven by its many positive aspects. Expand
madisondawnNov 16, 2013
The Impossible is one of those movies I could watch time and time again. I watched the movie once a day for four days. The reason the movie was so intriguing to me was the story of love, faith, and facing what seemed impossible as a family.The Impossible is one of those movies I could watch time and time again. I watched the movie once a day for four days. The reason the movie was so intriguing to me was the story of love, faith, and facing what seemed impossible as a family. The movie was suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. There were multiple times where I wanted to cry out of sadness and cry tears of joy. The Impossible had many elements needed to create an incredible movie.

The acting also impressed me. Tom Holland, Samuel Joslin, and Oaklee Pendergast did a great job at playing the roles of he kids. They did a great job displaying true emotions and demonstrating love for one another. I was very impressed with Naomi Watts. She did an extraordinary job having to act many different emotions and being real in the unfortunate circumstances. I definitely recommend The Impossible.
khutchNov 9, 2013
Even if everything is heartbreaking, and the actors give their best, everything is spoiled by the unsatisfying conclusion that just cancels the whole truth of the film.
StevenFSep 1, 2013
There's a feeling of triumph and bittersweet emotion when watching 'The Impossible', tragic yet triumphant on various levels of filmmaking, acting and adapting a true story of one of the most tragic events in history, the Indian Ocean tsunamiThere's a feeling of triumph and bittersweet emotion when watching 'The Impossible', tragic yet triumphant on various levels of filmmaking, acting and adapting a true story of one of the most tragic events in history, the Indian Ocean tsunami that changed the lives of many caught off-guard in this natural catastrophe. We hear the story of Maria Bennett, who is based on survivor María Belón, who recounted her story for the film, where we see Maria and her family visiting Thailand on their Christmas holiday, their common worries and life problems are swept away as the family is torn apart by the devastating tsunami. Naomi Watts gives a spellbinding performance as Maria, who manages to find her eldest son, Lucas (Tom Holland) nearby, but cannot see her husband or other two boys anywhere. From here we see the brute force and devastation that an 'Act of God' can deliver, injuries and sickness aside, the destruction of family is an act that is beyond repair, especially when nothing can be done to stop it.
It's Watts and Holland who masterfully command the screen as a mother and son brought closer together by loss, young Lucas must bear seeing his mother in some very vulnerable situations, but manages to help others around him, accepting that his father and brothers may be dead.
But it has been shot with such clarity and depth that we get one story after the other, where Lucas is in a terrible place, but his father Henry (Ewan McGregor) is also in a terrible place, more so because of how helpless he feels that he cannot find his wife and eldest son, these three stars each give performances that demand perfection and respect.
The film shows how a situation brings the common man together, through hope and sometimes heartache, the film is a testament to the good inside everyone, something we see throughout the film as strangers from various parts of the world band together in the face of danger, and it is also a testament at how differences and problems are put away when something natural can affect the lives of everyone in the same way as the person next to them. The title hold relevance to many aspects of the film, the unlikelihood of survival, the mission of finding survivors, the devastation caused, but also the bond that can be shared in times of need, highly improbable, but not impossible.
This is an honest and detailed film, which is shot in an emotional sense of being there, where we can relate with terror and angst with these characters, and revel in their hopeful good fortunes, the film takes pride in cataloging an horrific incident with such force and thrill, but also showing human nature winning out.
JohnnyStephensAug 31, 2013
WOW!! Awesome!!! It's one of the best films I have ever seen!! I was ready to cry in the end. I enjoyed it!!! Bravo!! Excellent!!! Epic and stunning!!!!!
Brian_McInnisAug 19, 2013
c'The Impossible' is an absorbing, well-shot, well-acted film with convincing special effects. It is based on fact. It provides the experience of having one's family caught in a catastrophe with a vividness few other films have had. My qualmc'The Impossible' is an absorbing, well-shot, well-acted film with convincing special effects. It is based on fact. It provides the experience of having one's family caught in a catastrophe with a vividness few other films have had. My qualm is with the film-makers' decision, faced with an event that killed an estimated eight thousand people in Thailand alone and devastated countless families, to take for their subject an extraordinarily fortunate family of British tourists who were violently separated and endured terrific trauma, but who managed to find each other and return home with every family member alive.

The story of this family is pretty inspiring, but should Bayona have considered making a film about a Thai family that did suffer loss, as innumerable families did? Is his message that when calamity strikes us we suffer great terror and difficulty, but it will all be O.K. in the end? And why are nearly all the other people we meet in this movie also European? Why are there so few Thai people? Why does nearly every one speak English? Amid so much destruction, why do we see barely any dead people? Did one of the only films made about this titanic South-East Asian cataclysm really have to star Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts?
Angel1711Jul 22, 2013
Gripping, interesting plot, great actors, especially Naomi my fav, great graphics and special effects, loved it. Most intriguing is that it is based on true events. I think some of it may have been a little over scaled, like how the medGripping, interesting plot, great actors, especially Naomi my fav, great graphics and special effects, loved it. Most intriguing is that it is based on true events. I think some of it may have been a little over scaled, like how the med staff, and natives generally were so polite and caring... I still don't get how did the kids manage to survive on a tree, how did they climb it so fast, in such horrific and fast paced circumstances? Expand
Bruce722Jul 21, 2013
The Impossible was one of the most suffocating and powerful emotional dramas I've ever seen and the fact that it is a true story constantly plays in the back of your mind while watching, effectively multiplying the emotion and drama evenThe Impossible was one of the most suffocating and powerful emotional dramas I've ever seen and the fact that it is a true story constantly plays in the back of your mind while watching, effectively multiplying the emotion and drama even more. The acting was incredible and the special effects, especially the tsunami scene in the beginning, were fantastic. Having seen almost most of the critically acclaimed films in the 2012 year, I can now say that they made a mistake in giving the Best Actress in a Leading Role to Jennifer Lawrence for her role in The Silver Linings Playbook. That award should've gone to Naomi Watts for her incredible and moving performance in this film. Lawrence did great but Watts was amazing, key difference in my opinion. The Academy's blunder aside, The Impossible is a movie that is definitely worth a watch. Expand
nikriticJul 14, 2013
The impossible is just one of those films that reminds us of how small our lives are and how important it is to not take it for granted with pride,greed ,cruelty... but to be good, love....
loki-sfJun 29, 2013
It blew me away that this movie is based on true events, but for cinematic purposes the build at the ending was lacking something. Overall enjoyable.
aozetaJun 17, 2013
A total "wow!". This film touches the deepest of emotions when it comes to family and love. This is unforgettable in every aspect. Best performance from Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts. Excellent screenplay, cinematography, sound, and editing.A total "wow!". This film touches the deepest of emotions when it comes to family and love. This is unforgettable in every aspect. Best performance from Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts. Excellent screenplay, cinematography, sound, and editing. Possibly the best film of 2012 and the-one-to-beat for the decade.

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
BKMJun 12, 2013
The performances are all excellent; particularly those of Watts, McGregor and Holland, and the recreation of the tsunami is terrifyingly real. But The Impossible never really taps into any genuine emotions and it never digs too deeply intoThe performances are all excellent; particularly those of Watts, McGregor and Holland, and the recreation of the tsunami is terrifyingly real. But The Impossible never really taps into any genuine emotions and it never digs too deeply into the horrific aftermath. It's ultimately a tidy movie about an unfathomable tragedy. Expand
unruhe_Jun 11, 2013
The plot is bold and simple, soundtrack is over the top, and it is mocking the real victims of the disaster by focussing on the supposedly heartbreaking story of some westerners spoiled holiday while 300k died around them.
KivaJun 9, 2013
Such a great movie nowadays it is difficult to be seen. The Impossible or Lo impossible is based on a true story of a Spanish family that despite their tragedies they found each other. It is moving and sad. Naomi Watts and Tom Holland wereSuch a great movie nowadays it is difficult to be seen. The Impossible or Lo impossible is based on a true story of a Spanish family that despite their tragedies they found each other. It is moving and sad. Naomi Watts and Tom Holland were excellent. Ewan Mc Gregor and the two little boys were great. A great picture. Really liked it Expand
2DudesReviewsJun 9, 2013
Intense & riveting story of survival. Bayona recreates the punishing & deadly tsunami in visually impressive & gut-wrenching fashion. Watts is extraordinary, but Holland’s heroic performance is captivating. -MN
jgzegerMay 25, 2013
A rather boring flick about a father, mother and three sons who are separated when a tsunami hits. The rest of the film is about them trying to find one another. That's it! The star isn't Naomi Watts but rather all the flotsam and jetsam inA rather boring flick about a father, mother and three sons who are separated when a tsunami hits. The rest of the film is about them trying to find one another. That's it! The star isn't Naomi Watts but rather all the flotsam and jetsam in the aftermath of the tsunami. There are many more shots of the devastation and debris than there are of her, and for her fans, half the movie features Naomi's face full of bruises. I think you can do better. Expand
BrianMcCriticMay 5, 2013
Bring your Kleenex this film will have you an emotional mess. To imagine in the blink of an eye your swept up by water and you have no idea where your family is or if their even alive would be scary. This is a great movie that is reallyBring your Kleenex this film will have you an emotional mess. To imagine in the blink of an eye your swept up by water and you have no idea where your family is or if their even alive would be scary. This is a great movie that is really hard to watch. Expand
ZilcellApr 28, 2013
The film starts off very unpleasant, but it eventually builds up to a solid climax, with some very inspirational and honest emotion along the way. The film is definitely not for everyone.
sjarrett10Apr 26, 2013
This is an important movie. It is a powerful message about nature, family, love and the fact we are all part of the same tribe, surviving by working together as humans. A testament to what truly matters in this world. Difficult to watch butThis is an important movie. It is a powerful message about nature, family, love and the fact we are all part of the same tribe, surviving by working together as humans. A testament to what truly matters in this world. Difficult to watch but extremely worth the time. It is the best movie I've seen this year. It made me think and give my kids a hug. It puts everything we do into perspective. Ask yourself after you see it what truly matters. Expand