5.8

1. Aug 17, 2013
    Not incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's always watchable despite the fact that nearly every joke is dead on arrival, but that makes it even more disappointing. Imagine a movie with this cast and a script that's actually funny. I have to admit the last scene was funny though, but it's not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. Collapse
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    So many good actors, an interesting story. The movie had so much potential, but they ruined it. A lot of the things happening in the movie, were not even possible. Making the whole movie, just one big joke.
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    Full disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight into the characters motivation, and to help us connect with them. Strike 1 and strike 2. Why would you spend 20 minutes of a comedy setting up your hero to be sympathetic to the audience if in the very next scene you plan on making him an unsympathetic egomaniac, inexplicable. Every single character in this movie except for Olivia Wilde's is played completely over the top. Correct that. Apparently they were told to play the character over the top, and then crank it up another notch.

Of course all of this is forgiveable in a comedy if it does the one thing that everyone expects, make us laugh. As you can probably already tell Wonderstone fails here as well. Two jokes landed for me in an hour and a half. When the name of Carrey's characters television show is revealed and the scene after the credits start rolling. Except for those not even a chuckle. It's the same way as I feel about The Office post Carell (in case your wondering why I'm a fan-boy).
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a good movie. Its mildly entertaining, has a few laughs but overall is a rent and that's a stretch. I normally love Steve Carrell, but not here. You will make it through the movie but that's about it.
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    Steve Carrel's latest effort, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone", is a weak and painful effort most of the time, but has it's giggles and laughs here and there. The film is exactly what you would expect from the trailer, a mediocre comedy that won't ever really be considered one of the greats. What really drags down the film's score for me is Jim Carrey in this film. This performance may be the worst he has done. Almost every time he does a comedy, it seems like "Ace Ventura" every performance, doing nothing but poop and pee jokes while being hyper and energetic. Steve Carrel and Steve Buscemi are the strong points of the film, being the only ones who will make you laugh. Expand
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie is stupid and only 2 or 3 laughable jokes.Time to Steve carl to retire and join with Adam sandler.This movie used Diary of wimpy kid Star to market the movie and so lame and waste of money if you watched in a Cinema complex.
  7. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film trying to be Zoolander or Anchorman that turns out to be Semi-Pro. I love Steve Carell and Jim Carey, but not in this unfunny obnoxious mess. I mean how long can you hold your urine. Really? Expand
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    Where do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out and showcased his talent of which he had a lot of. I agree with the Wall Street Journal's review, sadly, about this exceptional unfunny movie. Not worth the price unless you're the type who unconditionally likes Jim. Save your money for a movie I understand he has coming out this August. Expand
  9. May 6, 2013
    Most of the jokes are in the trailers. I expected a much funnier movie after viewing the trailer than the one showed in theater. If i were you, i would just wait for it to make it to dvd and rent it instead
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    I do not actually love Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel......now. Their older movies were very good and sometimes very funny, but this one was awful!! I am very disappointed.
  11. Sep 7, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was a very odd movie and did not seem anything like the trailer. Steve Carell delivered a very convincing "Burt Wonderstone and made the audience believe he "was" the role. Jim Carrey, though he was playing a character, seemed like he was playing himself, with a wig on. Steve Buscemi really looked like he enjoyed his role and he and Steve had great chemistry on screen.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone began showing Burt, who was inspired as a kid to first do magic by Rance Holloway. (Alan Arkin) Burt bought his magic kit as a kid and performed for a school mate named Anton Marvelton. The movie cuts years in the future to show Burt and Anton performing at the Bally's hotel in Vegas for large audiences every night. After doing the same show every night with the same music and tricks, Burt and Anton's excitement is decreasing and so is their audience. They are losing their audience to a street magician named Steve Gray. I think the movie over dramatizes the fact that Steve is basically trying to kill himself with danger acts, when the audience is calling it amazing "'magic."

To try to regain their audience, Anton hatches an idea. We see a large glass box that Anton and Burt will stay in, hanging high in Vegas. There is a large crowd already forming until within twenty minutes Burt can't take it and shakes the box to the point that Anton falls out getting severely injured and the group breaking up.

When Burt realizes he has no money, he gets jobs such as performing at a department store and an elderly home where he meets up with his childhood inspiration, Mr. Holloway. As they rewrite the magic show together, Burt, Anton, Rance, and Jane, (assistant) put on their greatest show yet featuring a trick called the disappearing audience. Will they pull it off? You'll have to see the movie to find out.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was not terrible, but it certainly was not good. Though the movie was meant to tell a story, they could have easily cut the 90 minute film in half and still have the same effect. There were many times I felt I was watching empty movie fill that Don Scardino (Director) put in just to make it a respectable run time. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a movie you should even spend the $15 and buy the DVD for. My opinion? Borrow it from a friend if you want it see it that badly. It's a wonder they made it.
  12. Dec 28, 2013
    This movie is worth watching for Jim Carrey alone, who should have been more prominently featured. Some jokes here do work, but many scenes feel cliched and don't earn the drama they attempt.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    As ever with comedies like this, all the really funny stuff is in the opening 20 minutes. But it's entertaining stuff, with a scene-stealer from Alan Arkin.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Mar 14, 2013
    For my first trick, allow me to write off an entire picture by merely affixing to the title a one-word contraction: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone isn’t. Please hold your applause.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Mar 14, 2013
    Steve Carell is fatally miscast as an arrogant, flamboyant third-rate magician in The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, which by all rights should have been a second-rate Will Ferrell vehicle.