5.8

1. Mar 16, 2013
    Definitely better than expected; I feel that the critics were a bit harsh on this one. There were quite a few laughs throughout the movie, the story was decent, and the characters were well cast. The movie isn't perfect by any means, but compared to most comedies that typically hit the big screen The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was entertaining and a success.
  2. Mar 16, 2013
    I came into this movie with low expectations. I figured.. with comedies nowadays, this will be boring and quite cheesy. Fortunately, I was mistaken. I really enjoyed this movie. Steve Carrell (as always) made me laugh, Jim Carrey was just utterly insane, and I just found it much funnier than I had hoped. So, cheers to you guys, you have made a successful comedy in 2013. That's a rare thing.
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    I wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they wereI wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they were quite few and not so funny as The Brain Rapist´s (Carrey). Olivia Wilde as always is as always amaaazingly hot and she acts pretty well too.
    Aside from this it has its pacing and execution flaws and it isn´t an achieved marvel. It never strays further or bigger than a fun movie.
    But what kept me from having a boring and regular time was the charm of the movie. Maybe it was the story, maybe the laughs or maybe the mood that it sets in general!
    If you want a fun easy time watch it! It could be a rainy night or you´ve had a rough day and you need to cheer up, pop this movie in!
  4. Jul 17, 2013
    I expected to hate this, but it's the best Carell has done since 40 year old virgin, and the best Jim has done since the nineties. Definitely worth the watch.
  5. Mar 23, 2013
    I thought this was a very funny, entertaining movie. I did have a few problems though. I didn't think that Jim Carrey was in it nearly as much as he should have been, but the times that he was in it he was hilarious. I did like the movie's premise of the two warring magicians because it was something I'd never seen before. I would really recommend this movie to someone who wants a good laugh.
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    After seeing such a low score for the critics I thought this movie was going to suck. Turns out the critics just don't know a funny movie when they see one. I'm not saying this movie is perfect because it has several flaws but I still had a fun watching. The actors were funny. Honestly I have never liked Steve but he was really funny in this movie. If you pay more then $10 to see thisAfter seeing such a low score for the critics I thought this movie was going to suck. Turns out the critics just don't know a funny movie when they see one. I'm not saying this movie is perfect because it has several flaws but I still had a fun watching. The actors were funny. Honestly I have never liked Steve but he was really funny in this movie. If you pay more then $10 to see this movie you might be a little upset and would just want to rent it but it's definitely worth a watch. Expand
  7. Aug 17, 2013
    Not incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's alwaysNot incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's always watchable despite the fact that nearly every joke is dead on arrival, but that makes it even more disappointing. Imagine a movie with this cast and a script that's actually funny. I have to admit the last scene was funny though, but it's not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2013
    First of all Jim Carrey saved this movie big time. If he wasn't in it it probably wouldn't have been that good at all. Jim Carrey had me laughing the whole time he was in it. Steve Carrell was a little funny but not hilarious. The main problem is that Carrey should have had a bigger part. But overall it was pretty good.
  9. Apr 26, 2013
    This movie was awesome! Jim Carrey was hilarious, just like the old Carrey. Steve Carell also give a decent amount laughs and does a good job. The story is no masterpiece, and may even be considered stupid, but for silly comedies like this the story isn't really as important as the comedy. Olivia Wilde does a good job, and is sexy as usual.

Overall the movie was actually very funny,

Overall the movie was actually very funny, and it's a movie you can't take too seriously. I think it has got some pretty hateful reviews and comments, and it makes me think that some people are losing their sense of humor, or maybe people think their sense of humor is too "sophisticated" for movies like this.

Either way, very funny movie. If you like Carrey and Carell type of comedy, then don't let the bad reviews turn u away. There's definitely laughs to be had in this one.
  10. Mar 31, 2013
    I expected little so I was pleasantly surprised. There are a number of humorous lines and scenes. There also is a lame pseudo love story jammed in. It isn't as good as anchorman but has a similar appeal.
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "While not on par with any of the actors previous attempts at hardcore comedy. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a heart-felt and funny flick that is easily forgettable and truthfully lacks much of the razzle-dazzle the film needed in order to be great." B-
  12. Mar 20, 2013
    Steve Carell plays the title character, a flashy Vegas magician. His career crashes after he splits with his partner (Steve Buscemi). That means he must struggle to make the predictable rebirth. Although Carell is sometimes funny, his character isn't likable, which makes it hard to care about him. Buscemi adds nothing and Jim Carrey (as the hot new competition) is uncomfortably weird. NoSteve Carell plays the title character, a flashy Vegas magician. His career crashes after he splits with his partner (Steve Buscemi). That means he must struggle to make the predictable rebirth. Although Carell is sometimes funny, his character isn't likable, which makes it hard to care about him. Buscemi adds nothing and Jim Carrey (as the hot new competition) is uncomfortably weird. No matter how much you want to like this movie, it's trying too hard to be over-the-top funny and only rarely succeeds. Expand
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    With funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. The movie mostly just goes along using predictable jokes and moments that fail to even bring a chuckle. This movie is actually a lot like a magic trick inWith funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. The movie mostly just goes along using predictable jokes and moments that fail to even bring a chuckle. This movie is actually a lot like a magic trick in that if you've seen the routine before it's not exciting a second time. In this movies case its routine has been seen many times before, despite the magician theme. Overall you won't be missing much if you pass on this one. Expand
  14. Aug 5, 2013
    This could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quite predictable. Steve Carell's character just isn't interesting enough to carry the film, and Jim Carrey completely steals every scene he's in. Not enough jokes andThis could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quite predictable. Steve Carell's character just isn't interesting enough to carry the film, and Jim Carrey completely steals every scene he's in. Not enough jokes and Olivia Wilde's character is underdeveloped. Expand
  15. Aug 26, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right in this films wheelhouse. The film follows what happens when Burt (Steve Carell) is left by his long time magic partner Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi).The Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right in this films wheelhouse. The film follows what happens when Burt (Steve Carell) is left by his long time magic partner Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi). Burt must struggle to create a new act as an insane newcomer (Jim Carrey) threatens to ruin not only Burt's career but the future of magic itself.
    Understandably surreal, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is really a film about lost childhood's and the never changing feeling of wonder. Burt is a child at heart and at times he is a child in reality. The film tells a decent story that loses its way towards the end as it begins to trip into the valley of formula and gets lost. The film is at its best when its a story of friendship as the dynamics between Burt and Anton as well as Burt and aspiring magician Jane (Olivia Wilde) are what really work in this picture. Carell is terrific as usual and Carrey has returned to the kind of character he was made for but the film lacks any real emotional conclusion as the film takes a turn for the zany. Even the absolutely hilarious credits sequence doesn't help as the film leaves you wanting a little bit more magic.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    So many good actors, an interesting story. The movie had so much potential, but they ruined it. A lot of the things happening in the movie, were not even possible. Making the whole movie, just one big joke.
  17. Jun 28, 2013
    This movie was actually quite a bit better than I expected. It had the laughs I thought it would, largely thanks to Jim Carrey. But it also actually had a fairly decent plot and solid character development. Steve Carell was great and Olivia Wilde was stunning. Bottom line, if you're looking for good laughs while still watching a decent movie, this is a good option.
  18. Jun 13, 2013
    A few laughs but nothing serious. The magic tricks through out the film are pretty enjoyable and that alone makes it worth watching, They were pretty interesting. The plot is ok, Nothing to complain about. The acting is solid as well but Carrell does get on my nerves quite a bit through out. Carrey is easily the star of the movie, I thought he was great and really stole the show. WorthA few laughs but nothing serious. The magic tricks through out the film are pretty enjoyable and that alone makes it worth watching, They were pretty interesting. The plot is ok, Nothing to complain about. The acting is solid as well but Carrell does get on my nerves quite a bit through out. Carrey is easily the star of the movie, I thought he was great and really stole the show. Worth giving a shot. Expand
  19. Mar 18, 2013
    Full disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight intoFull disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight into the characters motivation, and to help us connect with them. Strike 1 and strike 2. Why would you spend 20 minutes of a comedy setting up your hero to be sympathetic to the audience if in the very next scene you plan on making him an unsympathetic egomaniac, inexplicable. Every single character in this movie except for Olivia Wilde's is played completely over the top. Correct that. Apparently they were told to play the character over the top, and then crank it up another notch.

Of course all of this is forgiveable in a comedy if it does the one thing that everyone expects, make us laugh. As you can probably already tell Wonderstone fails here as well. Two jokes landed for me in an hour and a half. When the name of Carrey's characters television show is revealed and the scene after the credits start rolling. Except for those not even a chuckle. It's the same way as I feel about The Office post Carell (in case your wondering why I'm a fan-boy).
  20. Aug 14, 2013
    Not sure why all the hate for this film as it is quite funny. Sure, its got plenty of stupid humor and is pretty predictable, but regardless, it is refreshing to see a modern comedy that is funny without having to turn to raunchy humor. In addition, the acting is funny and well done. For what it is, the movie is a very fun and well done watch.
  21. Mar 15, 2013
    If you are a fan of Steve Carell then you will enjoy this film. It's got some heart and a decent amount of chuckles. I wish Carrey was funnier and in it more than he was but compared to other 2013 "comedies" like Identity Thief, Wonderstone delivers solid fun.
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a good movie. Its mildly entertaining, has a few laughs but overall is a rent and that's a stretch. I normally love Steve Carrell, but not here. You will make it through the movie but that's about it.
  23. Apr 26, 2013
    Steve Carrel's latest effort, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone", is a weak and painful effort most of the time, but has it's giggles and laughs here and there. The film is exactly what you would expect from the trailer, a mediocre comedy that won't ever really be considered one of the greats. What really drags down the film's score for me is Jim Carrey in this film. This performance may beSteve Carrel's latest effort, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone", is a weak and painful effort most of the time, but has it's giggles and laughs here and there. The film is exactly what you would expect from the trailer, a mediocre comedy that won't ever really be considered one of the greats. What really drags down the film's score for me is Jim Carrey in this film. This performance may be the worst he has done. Almost every time he does a comedy, it seems like "Ace Ventura" every performance, doing nothing but poop and pee jokes while being hyper and energetic. Steve Carrel and Steve Buscemi are the strong points of the film, being the only ones who will make you laugh. Collapse
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie is stupid and only 2 or 3 laughable jokes.Time to Steve carl to retire and join with Adam sandler.This movie used Diary of wimpy kid Star to market the movie and so lame and waste of money if you watched in a Cinema complex.
  25. Mar 18, 2013
    Steve Buscemi is excellent in everything he does. Steve Carrel is great in lead in this film as he presents a little humility in his character for this film. Jim Carey is the comic relief for a change. If this movie were made 10 years ago he would of been in the lead role. This is a good to great movie that will entertain you without pounding you with morals or trying to shock or embarrassSteve Buscemi is excellent in everything he does. Steve Carrel is great in lead in this film as he presents a little humility in his character for this film. Jim Carey is the comic relief for a change. If this movie were made 10 years ago he would of been in the lead role. This is a good to great movie that will entertain you without pounding you with morals or trying to shock or embarrass you. It is a nice sweet time and great to take a date on. Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2013
    Corny story, pretty good acting, especially the cameo performance of Alan Arkin. The writing could have been better. Carrey was definitely "off the wall". It was sometimes hard to watch his masochistic "magic" attempts which were bizarre and not funny.
  27. Mar 16, 2013
    It has its moments Arkin was great, Carrey was funny most of the time, and the magic was humorously entertaining. Carrell felt miscast through most of the film, and the plot was forced and contrived like most Hollywood comedies. It didn't need to be clever but it certainly had the opportunity to do a little more than what it ended up doing. If anything, I would give it a few points forIt has its moments Arkin was great, Carrey was funny most of the time, and the magic was humorously entertaining. Carrell felt miscast through most of the film, and the plot was forced and contrived like most Hollywood comedies. It didn't need to be clever but it certainly had the opportunity to do a little more than what it ended up doing. If anything, I would give it a few points for reminding me of "the Prestige" and how I really need to sit down and watch that wonderful film again. Expand
  28. Sep 26, 2013
    A bit of a slow start, and Carell odes play his role a bit too over the top at first. But the deeper into the movie you, the more fun and endearing it gets. Acting is decent. Kind of funny to see Carrey playing the antagonist., but he does go a little too far at times, even for him.

Overall: If anything the major flaw of this movie is that everyone is trying too hard most of the time,

Overall:
    If anything the major flaw of this movie is that everyone is trying too hard most of the time, and it makes many of the scenes feel a little forced. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining film, with a few decent laughs and left me with a smile at the end.
  29. Jun 23, 2013
    I don't like Steve Carell, especially when he plays a douche, so I was never going to love this film. I do, however, like Jim Carrey, so when you even the two out you get a so-so film. Watching Wonderstone be horrible to those around him is almost cringe-worthy, but predictably he gets better and the film picks up more towards the end. It has some good laughs but it wasn't consistentI don't like Steve Carell, especially when he plays a douche, so I was never going to love this film. I do, however, like Jim Carrey, so when you even the two out you get a so-so film. Watching Wonderstone be horrible to those around him is almost cringe-worthy, but predictably he gets better and the film picks up more towards the end. It has some good laughs but it wasn't consistent enough to be a successful comedy film, but those who like the actors should be pleased enough. Expand
  30. Mar 16, 2013
    Carrey and Carrell have good experimental vicious battles between them, which makes this movie special. Don Scardino has made a movie so funny you will roll down from your seat and still laugh, a very successful comedy in 2013 is very very rare because of people that make stupid crouched up films. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is incredible.
  31. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film trying to be Zoolander or Anchorman that turns out to be Semi-Pro. I love Steve Carell and Jim Carey, but not in this unfunny obnoxious mess. I mean how long can you hold your urine. Really? Expand
  32. Jun 27, 2013
    I was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve Carrel charm to him after half way into the movie. This really includes most of the other characters. I thought Jim Carry's character was kinda lacking, heI was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve Carrel charm to him after half way into the movie. This really includes most of the other characters. I thought Jim Carry's character was kinda lacking, he did a good job acting wise but the character didn't have much to do besides doing dumb.....really dumb "magic" tricks. There is also a love story that did not need to be there in the first place. If it wasn't there I would actually give this movie an 8. However, this is a fun little movie that I would recommend. Sure, it has its flaws, but I was happy when it was over. Expand
  33. Mar 17, 2013
    My friend and I went to see the INCREDIBLE BURT WEATHERSTONE yesterday, and I roared with laughter right up to the end. She on the other hand got more and more pissed off as the movie went on, and came out calling it "vile."

Well, some movies are like that, Especially the interesting ones. Very often comedies can use unspeakable cruel jokes to make the audience laugh. If anybody is old enough to remember, one of the classic moments of slapstick comedy is when an adorable little dog is squashed flat on a London sidewalk by a falling object in A FISH CALLED WANDA.

It had the audience rolling in the aisles.

The essential story is, without giving away the story is that there are two magicians who after a lifetime of working together as friends and hitting the big time in Vegas, see their audiences melting away, as a new totally evil magician becomes the hit of the town, mainly with jokes that feature self-laceration. You laugh at the good guys, when they are hitting it, and wince when the baddie does lhis act..as in Yeech!

The good guys are washed up, and they have to come up with the biggest trick in history to save their act. It features Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, James Gandolfini as the Casino owner. What they propose is simply impossible, and yet they pull it off.

Here is where the movie suddenly runs into a HUGE problem. After performing the stunt, director Don
    Scrardino BREAKS THE FIRST LAW OF MAGIC. He shows you how it was done. To say that it was illegal, dangerous and done in a heartless manner is not putting too fine a line on it. All the good will that had built up
    over the past two hours toward the film is shattered in a few minutes.

He could have solved the problem easily by just not showing you the mechanics involved.It's the old story of everybody likes sausages, but no one ever wants to see how they are made.

It will be interesting to read your comments. I enjoyed myself thoroughly right up to the last four minutes, but wound up leaving the theatre with a bad taste in my mouth. REMEMBER Don, THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A COMEDY!
  34. Jun 26, 2013
    Let's see...a pompous a-hole, who is tops of his profession, has a falling out with his long time partner, is shown up by a wild newcomer, hits rock bottom and has to rediscover his passion to win in the end, with the help of an older mentor. Yup. Just described Ricky Bobby:Teledega Nights. AND this pale attempt to mine the Will Farrell-type jerk comedy. In fact, replace Steve Carell andLet's see...a pompous a-hole, who is tops of his profession, has a falling out with his long time partner, is shown up by a wild newcomer, hits rock bottom and has to rediscover his passion to win in the end, with the help of an older mentor. Yup. Just described Ricky Bobby:Teledega Nights. AND this pale attempt to mine the Will Farrell-type jerk comedy. In fact, replace Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi (who are great, just not in these roles, they're good) with Farrell and John C O'Reilly, and the movie would have been much funnier. Granted, Jim Carrey excels in the crazy chris Angel-type role, which is truly a supporting role, and its always a joy to see Alan Arkin in anything. This could have been so much better. A comedy is more than over the top costumes and hairstyles... Expand
  35. Mar 23, 2013
    This movie was a blast. Jim Carey's character was bizarre. We had low exepctations but were just wanting to see a funny movie. My family loved it and recommended it to my mother and she didn't think it was that great. I guess it is a movie that you either love or hate. I never want to see movies twice but I will be going to see it again.
  36. Mar 26, 2013
    Where do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out andWhere do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out and showcased his talent of which he had a lot of. I agree with the Wall Street Journal's review, sadly, about this exceptional unfunny movie. Not worth the price unless you're the type who unconditionally likes Jim. Save your money for a movie I understand he has coming out this August. Expand
  37. Apr 8, 2013
    Why has this been so harshly reviewed? It´s a cute little comedy, that gave some original and new jokes, that made me laugh a lot. The laid back style reminded me of the movie "There is something about Mary". It has a part in the middle that gets a little thin, but other than that it has a good flow. The dynamic of the film is also a bit different, and it peaks at different points, which IWhy has this been so harshly reviewed? It´s a cute little comedy, that gave some original and new jokes, that made me laugh a lot. The laid back style reminded me of the movie "There is something about Mary". It has a part in the middle that gets a little thin, but other than that it has a good flow. The dynamic of the film is also a bit different, and it peaks at different points, which I found refreshing.
    The role of Jim Carrey was a nice surprise. It "dusted" him off a little as a comedy actor, and gave him a new and toned down angle, which I think really suited him.
    Don´t expect the 7th wonder of the world, but a nice little film that is light hearted and will make you chuckle and laugh, if you have the same humour as me. I think you should give it a shot
  38. Apr 5, 2013
    Now this movie does not get the credit it deserves. It is funny, touching, and you know what, it even teaches us something. "What? A movie trying to teach us a lesson about doing something because you love it not because you are getting paid, all while at the same time making us laugh, with a plot about magic?! Absurd!" Ok. So maybe that comes off as a little cynical but I get that sort ofNow this movie does not get the credit it deserves. It is funny, touching, and you know what, it even teaches us something. "What? A movie trying to teach us a lesson about doing something because you love it not because you are getting paid, all while at the same time making us laugh, with a plot about magic?! Absurd!" Ok. So maybe that comes off as a little cynical but I get that sort of argument a lot from people. I guess it can sometimes come off as a little cheesy but it isn't as if the movie just screams the message at you. And this movie is freaking hilarious. Seriously, I don't think I have laughed in a theater so hard in a while. The jokes in this movie, when they work, land hard and strong. Not to say there are jokes that don't kinda fall flat. But you know that sometimes is going to happen. I think that this movie did what it needed to do well. It isn't perfect by any means, but it is worth seeing. So I give it a final verdict of 6/10. Expand
  39. Apr 18, 2013
    Taking it at face value its a great story with some of the powerhouse comedy actors of the last decade. Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, and Jim Carey all make appearances in a comedy about Magicians, probably the most original concept to come out of Hollywood in years. Throw in a touch of Olivia Wilde (remembered fondly as 13 from House), some Alan Arkin and a dash of James Gandolfini andTaking it at face value its a great story with some of the powerhouse comedy actors of the last decade. Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, and Jim Carey all make appearances in a comedy about Magicians, probably the most original concept to come out of Hollywood in years. Throw in a touch of Olivia Wilde (remembered fondly as 13 from House), some Alan Arkin and a dash of James Gandolfini and you have yourself a ridiculous film that can't be taken too seriously and doesn't intend on being taken seriously.

There is solid acting from your main characters, with Jim Carey again going over the top with his portrayal of masochistic street magician Steve Gray (roughly analogous to modern day Chris Angel) and Olivia Wilde as the reluctant love interest who also happens to be a skilled magician herself.

The plot is fresh, original and in some ways makes sense. It strikes a tone asking the question why would any person devote their life to the art of illusion and magic. They really aren't doing it for themselves, but for the joy of others. While it glosses over the deeper meaning of such a question it does at least give the audience something to think about.

In all I can't help but think of this as a more toned down and slightly more serious version of something like Talladega Nights or something similar. It's just all around good entertainment with a fresh new plot and a great cast.
  40. May 2, 2013
    There are some funny moments (That will happen when you have the momentous talents of Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey) but overall this movie just felt forced. It reminded me of some of the later Adam Sandler movies, a bunch of talented comedic actors phoning it in with a poorly scripted premise. In summation it is a fine movie to catch on cable if your dvr is empty, but I wouldn't recommendThere are some funny moments (That will happen when you have the momentous talents of Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey) but overall this movie just felt forced. It reminded me of some of the later Adam Sandler movies, a bunch of talented comedic actors phoning it in with a poorly scripted premise. In summation it is a fine movie to catch on cable if your dvr is empty, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. Expand
  41. May 6, 2013
    Most of the jokes are in the trailers. I expected a much funnier movie after viewing the trailer than the one showed in theater. If i were you, i would just wait for it to make it to dvd and rent it instead
  42. Aug 30, 2013
    I do not actually love Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel......now. Their older movies were very good and sometimes very funny, but this one was awful!! I am very disappointed.
  43. Jul 30, 2013
    Once again, amazing Jim Carrey and cool story with little boring and slow ending. I had great time and fun watching it, but still understand why other people find this film so average.
  44. Jun 21, 2014
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a good movie but i felt like it could have been something more. It seems 2013 was the year of magic movies as we got both this and Now You See Me sadly though neither of them was able to catch the magic i was hoping for. The trailers did made the movie look a lot better than what the final product was but i don't think the movie should get as much hate asThe Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a good movie but i felt like it could have been something more. It seems 2013 was the year of magic movies as we got both this and Now You See Me sadly though neither of them was able to catch the magic i was hoping for. The trailers did made the movie look a lot better than what the final product was but i don't think the movie should get as much hate as it does. Seeing that this came from the writers that bought us "Horrible Bosses" i think its even more of a let down as we know they are able to conjure up major laughs especially when they have a great cast at their disposal.

The movie follows Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carell) and as a child was picked on by others and had to depend on himself but after receiving a magic kit for his birthday one year he finds himself really liking and just ignores all the bad stuff. While at school during lunchtime Burt is doing some tricks when he catches the attention of another school mate who introduces himself as Anthony Marvelton (Steve Buscemi) after complementing on how cool the magic trick was. They soon become the best of friends doing magic together and grow up to eventually get their own show on the Vegas strip. After ten years of doing the same performance every night ticket sale start to dwindle especially after a new hot shot magician named Steve Gray (Jim Carrey) comes to town. After trying to stage a comeback it fails horrible and after getting into a big argument Burt and Anton split up after 30 years.

Now its just Burt on his own he still tries to do the same act as before but it turns out terrible and is soon fired from his job. From here we see Burt try to regain his love for magic and performing after talking to his childhood idol Rance Holloway (Alan Arkin). The movie is does have a few good moments mostly coming from Jim Carrey but for the most part is rather unoriginal and nothing we haven't seen before. One great thing about the movie though is that it shows what a COMPLETE JOKE magic as become with Jim Carrey basically ripping off Criss Angel by doing a bunch of crazy stunts.

Another great thing about the movie was Olivia Wilde and while her character was pointless she was still great also she looked stunning in all her outfits. To be honest though Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi was a let down to me i was hoping for more but im sure its the scripts fault for that. It was funny trying to make Alan Arkin look young, no matter how much make up they put on him he still looked super old also James Gandolfini was great in this i was hopping for a bit more of him but at least what we did see of him was good.

Overall i give it a 6.0 For only being a 90 minute movie it feels like a 2 hour movie.
  45. Oct 18, 2013
    I found Steve Carrell's character really really annoying to start with, but the film starting picking up and it was really funny. Jim Carrey is mental it's official!
  46. Sep 7, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was a very odd movie and did not seem anything like the trailer. Steve Carell delivered a very convincing "Burt Wonderstone and made the audience believe he "was" the role. Jim Carrey, though he was playing a character, seemed like he was playing himself, with a wig on. Steve Buscemi really looked like he enjoyed his role and he and Steve had great chemistryThe Incredible Burt Wonderstone was a very odd movie and did not seem anything like the trailer. Steve Carell delivered a very convincing "Burt Wonderstone and made the audience believe he "was" the role. Jim Carrey, though he was playing a character, seemed like he was playing himself, with a wig on. Steve Buscemi really looked like he enjoyed his role and he and Steve had great chemistry on screen.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone began showing Burt, who was inspired as a kid to first do magic by Rance Holloway. (Alan Arkin) Burt bought his magic kit as a kid and performed for a school mate named Anton Marvelton. The movie cuts years in the future to show Burt and Anton performing at the Bally's hotel in Vegas for large audiences every night. After doing the same show every night with the same music and tricks, Burt and Anton's excitement is decreasing and so is their audience. They are losing their audience to a street magician named Steve Gray. I think the movie over dramatizes the fact that Steve is basically trying to kill himself with danger acts, when the audience is calling it amazing "'magic."

To try to regain their audience, Anton hatches an idea. We see a large glass box that Anton and Burt will stay in, hanging high in Vegas. There is a large crowd already forming until within twenty minutes Burt can't take it and shakes the box to the point that Anton falls out getting severely injured and the group breaking up.

When Burt realizes he has no money, he gets jobs such as performing at a department store and an elderly home where he meets up with his childhood inspiration, Mr. Holloway. As they rewrite the magic show together, Burt, Anton, Rance, and Jane, (assistant) put on their greatest show yet featuring a trick called the disappearing audience. Will they pull it off? You'll have to see the movie to find out.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was not terrible, but it certainly was not good. Though the movie was meant to tell a story, they could have easily cut the 90 minute film in half and still have the same effect. There were many times I felt I was watching empty movie fill that Don Scardino (Director) put in just to make it a respectable run time. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a movie you should even spend the $15 and buy the DVD for. My opinion? Borrow it from a friend if you want it see it that badly. It's a wonder they made it.
  47. Dec 28, 2013
    This movie is worth watching for Jim Carrey alone, who should have been more prominently featured. Some jokes here do work, but many scenes feel cliched and don't earn the drama they attempt.
  48. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was pretty funny, and the magic tricks they pull off are quite neat, and there's a valuable lesson to learn in this movie as well.
  49. Nov 23, 2014
    This movie had some potential to be great considering the comedy veterans that are involved but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. It was funny here and there but its nice to know that most people weren't fans of it either. Steve Carell is due for something big now.
  50. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" 10 Scale Rating: 5.5 (Decent) ...

"The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" 10 Scale Rating: 5.5 (Decent) ...

The Good: Humorous without going overboard with a solid comedic premise. Carell has grated on me as of late, but he nailed Burt Wonderstone, a magician who is struggling to keep up with the times. Wilde and Buscemi are solid in support roles, and Jim Carrey was hilarious as a street magician and endurance performer who was obviously inspired by David Blane and Chris Angel.

The Bad: Somewhat predictable and a little too toned down for my liking. It didn't try too hard to get laughs by resorting to too much vulgarity (which I can appreciate), but at times I felt it didn't try hard enough. I expected a bit more out of an idea like this one, given the cast that was assembled. Sort of mailed it in at the end.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    As ever with comedies like this, all the really funny stuff is in the opening 20 minutes. But it's entertaining stuff, with a scene-stealer from Alan Arkin.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Mar 14, 2013
    For my first trick, allow me to write off an entire picture by merely affixing to the title a one-word contraction: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone isn’t. Please hold your applause.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Mar 14, 2013
    Steve Carell is fatally miscast as an arrogant, flamboyant third-rate magician in The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, which by all rights should have been a second-rate Will Ferrell vehicle.