Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 15, 2013
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 151 Ratings
WATCH NOW
chwJul 17, 2014
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was pretty funny, and the magic tricks they pull off are quite neat, and there's a valuable lesson to learn in this movie as well.
TeeeOct 18, 2013
I found Steve Carrell's character really really annoying to start with, but the film starting picking up and it was really funny. Jim Carrey is mental it's official!
Rox22Sep 26, 2013
A bit of a slow start, and Carell odes play his role a bit too over the top at first. But the deeper into the movie you, the more fun and endearing it gets. Acting is decent. Kind of funny to see Carrey playing the antagonist., but he does goA bit of a slow start, and Carell odes play his role a bit too over the top at first. But the deeper into the movie you, the more fun and endearing it gets. Acting is decent. Kind of funny to see Carrey playing the antagonist., but he does go a little too far at times, even for him.

Overall:
If anything the major flaw of this movie is that everyone is trying too hard most of the time, and it makes many of the scenes feel a little forced. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining film, with a few decent laughs and left me with a smile at the end.
ZlayaJul 30, 2013
Once again, amazing Jim Carrey and cool story with little boring and slow ending. I had great time and fun watching it, but still understand why other people find this film so average.
Smoov-EJul 17, 2013
I expected to hate this, but it's the best Carell has done since 40 year old virgin, and the best Jim has done since the nineties. Definitely worth the watch.
Pablo22Jul 2, 2013
I wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at myI wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they were quite few and not so funny as The Brain Rapist´s (Carrey). Olivia Wilde as always is as always amaaazingly hot and she acts pretty well too.
Aside from this it has its pacing and execution flaws and it isn´t an achieved marvel. It never strays further or bigger than a fun movie.
But what kept me from having a boring and regular time was the charm of the movie. Maybe it was the story, maybe the laughs or maybe the mood that it sets in general!
If you want a fun easy time watch it! It could be a rainy night or you´ve had a rough day and you need to cheer up, pop this movie in!
GamerGuy09Jun 27, 2013
I was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve CarrelI was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve Carrel charm to him after half way into the movie. This really includes most of the other characters. I thought Jim Carry's character was kinda lacking, he did a good job acting wise but the character didn't have much to do besides doing dumb.....really dumb "magic" tricks. There is also a love story that did not need to be there in the first place. If it wasn't there I would actually give this movie an 8. However, this is a fun little movie that I would recommend. Sure, it has its flaws, but I was happy when it was over. Expand
TribesmasterApr 26, 2013
This movie was awesome! Jim Carrey was hilarious, just like the old Carrey. Steve Carell also give a decent amount laughs and does a good job. The story is no masterpiece, and may even be considered stupid, but for silly comedies like thisThis movie was awesome! Jim Carrey was hilarious, just like the old Carrey. Steve Carell also give a decent amount laughs and does a good job. The story is no masterpiece, and may even be considered stupid, but for silly comedies like this the story isn't really as important as the comedy. Olivia Wilde does a good job, and is sexy as usual.

Overall the movie was actually very funny, and it's a movie you can't take too seriously. I think it has got some pretty hateful reviews and comments, and it makes me think that some people are losing their sense of humor, or maybe people think their sense of humor is too "sophisticated" for movies like this.

Either way, very funny movie. If you like Carrey and Carell type of comedy, then don't let the bad reviews turn u away. There's definitely laughs to be had in this one.
SeveredWingApr 18, 2013
Taking it at face value its a great story with some of the powerhouse comedy actors of the last decade. Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, and Jim Carey all make appearances in a comedy about Magicians, probably the most original concept to comeTaking it at face value its a great story with some of the powerhouse comedy actors of the last decade. Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, and Jim Carey all make appearances in a comedy about Magicians, probably the most original concept to come out of Hollywood in years. Throw in a touch of Olivia Wilde (remembered fondly as 13 from House), some Alan Arkin and a dash of James Gandolfini and you have yourself a ridiculous film that can't be taken too seriously and doesn't intend on being taken seriously.

There is solid acting from your main characters, with Jim Carey again going over the top with his portrayal of masochistic street magician Steve Gray (roughly analogous to modern day Chris Angel) and Olivia Wilde as the reluctant love interest who also happens to be a skilled magician herself.

The plot is fresh, original and in some ways makes sense. It strikes a tone asking the question why would any person devote their life to the art of illusion and magic. They really aren't doing it for themselves, but for the joy of others. While it glosses over the deeper meaning of such a question it does at least give the audience something to think about.

In all I can't help but think of this as a more toned down and slightly more serious version of something like Talladega Nights or something similar. It's just all around good entertainment with a fresh new plot and a great cast.
testacorsa150Apr 8, 2013
Why has this been so harshly reviewed? It´s a cute little comedy, that gave some original and new jokes, that made me laugh a lot. The laid back style reminded me of the movie "There is something about Mary". It has a part in the middle thatWhy has this been so harshly reviewed? It´s a cute little comedy, that gave some original and new jokes, that made me laugh a lot. The laid back style reminded me of the movie "There is something about Mary". It has a part in the middle that gets a little thin, but other than that it has a good flow. The dynamic of the film is also a bit different, and it peaks at different points, which I found refreshing.
The role of Jim Carrey was a nice surprise. It "dusted" him off a little as a comedy actor, and gave him a new and toned down angle, which I think really suited him.
Don´t expect the 7th wonder of the world, but a nice little film that is light hearted and will make you chuckle and laugh, if you have the same humour as me. I think you should give it a shot
MDG397Mar 23, 2013
I thought this was a very funny, entertaining movie. I did have a few problems though. I didn't think that Jim Carrey was in it nearly as much as he should have been, but the times that he was in it he was hilarious. I did like the movie'sI thought this was a very funny, entertaining movie. I did have a few problems though. I didn't think that Jim Carrey was in it nearly as much as he should have been, but the times that he was in it he was hilarious. I did like the movie's premise of the two warring magicians because it was something I'd never seen before. I would really recommend this movie to someone who wants a good laugh. Expand
ksjoatMar 23, 2013
This movie was a blast. Jim Carey's character was bizarre. We had low exepctations but were just wanting to see a funny movie. My family loved it and recommended it to my mother and she didn't think it was that great. I guess it is a movieThis movie was a blast. Jim Carey's character was bizarre. We had low exepctations but were just wanting to see a funny movie. My family loved it and recommended it to my mother and she didn't think it was that great. I guess it is a movie that you either love or hate. I never want to see movies twice but I will be going to see it again. Expand
analogkid280Mar 18, 2013
Steve Buscemi is excellent in everything he does. Steve Carrel is great in lead in this film as he presents a little humility in his character for this film. Jim Carey is the comic relief for a change. If this movie were made 10 years ago heSteve Buscemi is excellent in everything he does. Steve Carrel is great in lead in this film as he presents a little humility in his character for this film. Jim Carey is the comic relief for a change. If this movie were made 10 years ago he would of been in the lead role. This is a good to great movie that will entertain you without pounding you with morals or trying to shock or embarrass you. It is a nice sweet time and great to take a date on. Expand
Timis550Mar 17, 2013
After seeing such a low score for the critics I thought this movie was going to suck. Turns out the critics just don't know a funny movie when they see one. I'm not saying this movie is perfect because it has several flaws but I still had aAfter seeing such a low score for the critics I thought this movie was going to suck. Turns out the critics just don't know a funny movie when they see one. I'm not saying this movie is perfect because it has several flaws but I still had a fun watching. The actors were funny. Honestly I have never liked Steve but he was really funny in this movie. If you pay more then $10 to see this movie you might be a little upset and would just want to rent it but it's definitely worth a watch. Expand
dirckhMar 17, 2013
My friend and I went to see the INCREDIBLE BURT WEATHERSTONE yesterday, and I roared with laughter right up to the end. She on the other hand got more and more pissed off as the movie went on, and came out calling it "vile."

Well, some

Well, some movies are like that, Especially the interesting ones. Very often comedies can use unspeakable cruel jokes to make the audience laugh. If anybody is old enough to remember, one of the classic moments of slapstick comedy is when an adorable little dog is squashed flat on a London sidewalk by a falling object in A FISH CALLED WANDA.

It had the audience rolling in the aisles.

The essential story is, without giving away the story is that there are two magicians who after a lifetime of working together as friends and hitting the big time in Vegas, see their audiences melting away, as a new totally evil magician becomes the hit of the town, mainly with jokes that feature self-laceration. You laugh at the good guys, when they are hitting it, and wince when the baddie does lhis act..as in Yeech!

The good guys are washed up, and they have to come up with the biggest trick in history to save their act. It features Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, James Gandolfini as the Casino owner. What they propose is simply impossible, and yet they pull it off.

Here is where the movie suddenly runs into a HUGE problem. After performing the stunt, director Don
Scrardino BREAKS THE FIRST LAW OF MAGIC. He shows you how it was done. To say that it was illegal, dangerous and done in a heartless manner is not putting too fine a line on it. All the good will that had built up
over the past two hours toward the film is shattered in a few minutes.

He could have solved the problem easily by just not showing you the mechanics involved.It's the old story of everybody likes sausages, but no one ever wants to see how they are made.

It will be interesting to read your comments. I enjoyed myself thoroughly right up to the last four minutes, but wound up leaving the theatre with a bad taste in my mouth. REMEMBER Don, THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A COMEDY!
FennltMar 16, 2013
Definitely better than expected; I feel that the critics were a bit harsh on this one. There were quite a few laughs throughout the movie, the story was decent, and the characters were well cast. The movie isn't perfect by any means, butDefinitely better than expected; I feel that the critics were a bit harsh on this one. There were quite a few laughs throughout the movie, the story was decent, and the characters were well cast. The movie isn't perfect by any means, but compared to most comedies that typically hit the big screen The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was entertaining and a success. Expand
ThegodfathersonMar 16, 2013
Carrey and Carrell have good experimental vicious battles between them, which makes this movie special. Don Scardino has made a movie so funny you will roll down from your seat and still laugh, a very successful comedy in 2013 is very veryCarrey and Carrell have good experimental vicious battles between them, which makes this movie special. Don Scardino has made a movie so funny you will roll down from your seat and still laugh, a very successful comedy in 2013 is very very rare because of people that make stupid crouched up films. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is incredible. Expand
MooziikMasterMar 16, 2013
I came into this movie with low expectations. I figured.. with comedies nowadays, this will be boring and quite cheesy. Fortunately, I was mistaken. I really enjoyed this movie. Steve Carrell (as always) made me laugh, Jim Carrey was justI came into this movie with low expectations. I figured.. with comedies nowadays, this will be boring and quite cheesy. Fortunately, I was mistaken. I really enjoyed this movie. Steve Carrell (as always) made me laugh, Jim Carrey was just utterly insane, and I just found it much funnier than I had hoped. So, cheers to you guys, you have made a successful comedy in 2013. That's a rare thing. Expand
tropicAcesMar 15, 2013
If you are a fan of Steve Carell then you will enjoy this film. It's got some heart and a decent amount of chuckles. I wish Carrey was funnier and in it more than he was but compared to other 2013 "comedies" like Identity Thief, WonderstoneIf you are a fan of Steve Carell then you will enjoy this film. It's got some heart and a decent amount of chuckles. I wish Carrey was funnier and in it more than he was but compared to other 2013 "comedies" like Identity Thief, Wonderstone delivers solid fun. Expand