Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 15, 2013
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 153 Ratings
Watch Now
russiangamerApr 27, 2017
Первые полчаса хороши, ведь в них присутствуют неплохие шутки, да и просто интересно наблюдать за сюжетом. Но чем дальше, тем больше бросков из крайности в крайность. Посмотреть разок всё же стоит, особенно фанатам Керри.Первые полчаса хороши, ведь в них присутствуют неплохие шутки, да и просто интересно наблюдать за сюжетом. Но чем дальше, тем больше бросков из крайности в крайность. Посмотреть разок всё же стоит, особенно фанатам Керри.
Tss5078Sep 26, 2015
There is an old saying that says, "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth". This is an apt metaphor to describe the Incredible Burt Wonderstone. While I'm not crazy about magicians, how could you not be excited for a comedy startingThere is an old saying that says, "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth". This is an apt metaphor to describe the Incredible Burt Wonderstone. While I'm not crazy about magicians, how could you not be excited for a comedy starting Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey? They are certainly two of the best comedic actors around and I hoped this film would be a can't miss, but it was far from it. In a parallel situation, Carrell and Carrey are trying to one up each other in the same way that Wonderstone and Gray are in the film. This results are a film that is sloppy and a complete waste of time and talent. The story takes place in Las Vegas, where for twenty years Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carrell) has been the only name in magic. One day a newbie appears on the scene, one with a TV show and a high risk element to his act. Steve Gray (Jim Carrey) makes Wonderstone appear old and outdated, inspiring Burt to up his game. This film simply wasn't funny at all, as the producers tried to pit David Copperfield against Criss Angel. It was an interesting idea for a film, just not a comedy, because magic simply isn't funny. Watching these guys share idiotic dialogue, while they perform stupid tricks, that nobody would want to see, isn't funny. There isn't much more to say other than this film was a complete bust, with almost no redeeming qualities what so ever. I am still in a state of shock, that a movie with so many comedic stars could turn out to be this bad, but it really does prove that too many cooks is never a good thing. I'm sure the cast all had their own ideas and all tried to interject their own unique styles into the film, but it simply didn't work. Expand
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
This movie had some potential to be great considering the comedy veterans that are involved but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. It was funny here and there but its nice to know that most people weren't fans of it either. SteveThis movie had some potential to be great considering the comedy veterans that are involved but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. It was funny here and there but its nice to know that most people weren't fans of it either. Steve Carell is due for something big now. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" 10 Scale Rating: 5.5 (Decent) ...

"The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" 10 Scale Rating: 5.5 (Decent) ...

The Good: Humorous without going overboard with a solid comedic premise. Carell has grated on me as of late, but he nailed Burt Wonderstone, a magician who is struggling to keep up with the times. Wilde and Buscemi are solid in support roles, and Jim Carrey was hilarious as a street magician and endurance performer who was obviously inspired by David Blane and Chris Angel.

The Bad: Somewhat predictable and a little too toned down for my liking. It didn't try too hard to get laughs by resorting to too much vulgarity (which I can appreciate), but at times I felt it didn't try hard enough. I expected a bit more out of an idea like this one, given the cast that was assembled. Sort of mailed it in at the end.
chwJul 17, 2014
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was pretty funny, and the magic tricks they pull off are quite neat, and there's a valuable lesson to learn in this movie as well.
DuckNationJun 21, 2014
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a good movie but i felt like it could have been something more. It seems 2013 was the year of magic movies as we got both this and Now You See Me sadly though neither of them was able to catch the magic iThe Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a good movie but i felt like it could have been something more. It seems 2013 was the year of magic movies as we got both this and Now You See Me sadly though neither of them was able to catch the magic i was hoping for. The trailers did made the movie look a lot better than what the final product was but i don't think the movie should get as much hate as it does. Seeing that this came from the writers that bought us "Horrible Bosses" i think its even more of a let down as we know they are able to conjure up major laughs especially when they have a great cast at their disposal.

The movie follows Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carell) and as a child was picked on by others and had to depend on himself but after receiving a magic kit for his birthday one year he finds himself really liking and just ignores all the bad stuff. While at school during lunchtime Burt is doing some tricks when he catches the attention of another school mate who introduces himself as Anthony Marvelton (Steve Buscemi) after complementing on how cool the magic trick was. They soon become the best of friends doing magic together and grow up to eventually get their own show on the Vegas strip. After ten years of doing the same performance every night ticket sale start to dwindle especially after a new hot shot magician named Steve Gray (Jim Carrey) comes to town. After trying to stage a comeback it fails horrible and after getting into a big argument Burt and Anton split up after 30 years.

Now its just Burt on his own he still tries to do the same act as before but it turns out terrible and is soon fired from his job. From here we see Burt try to regain his love for magic and performing after talking to his childhood idol Rance Holloway (Alan Arkin). The movie is does have a few good moments mostly coming from Jim Carrey but for the most part is rather unoriginal and nothing we haven't seen before. One great thing about the movie though is that it shows what a COMPLETE JOKE magic as become with Jim Carrey basically ripping off Criss Angel by doing a bunch of crazy stunts.

Another great thing about the movie was Olivia Wilde and while her character was pointless she was still great also she looked stunning in all her outfits. To be honest though Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi was a let down to me i was hoping for more but im sure its the scripts fault for that. It was funny trying to make Alan Arkin look young, no matter how much make up they put on him he still looked super old also James Gandolfini was great in this i was hopping for a bit more of him but at least what we did see of him was good.

Overall i give it a 6.0 For only being a 90 minute movie it feels like a 2 hour movie.
ambenderDec 28, 2013
This movie is worth watching for Jim Carrey alone, who should have been more prominently featured. Some jokes here do work, but many scenes feel cliched and don't earn the drama they attempt.
TeeeOct 18, 2013
I found Steve Carrell's character really really annoying to start with, but the film starting picking up and it was really funny. Jim Carrey is mental it's official!
Rox22Sep 26, 2013
A bit of a slow start, and Carell odes play his role a bit too over the top at first. But the deeper into the movie you, the more fun and endearing it gets. Acting is decent. Kind of funny to see Carrey playing the antagonist., but he does goA bit of a slow start, and Carell odes play his role a bit too over the top at first. But the deeper into the movie you, the more fun and endearing it gets. Acting is decent. Kind of funny to see Carrey playing the antagonist., but he does go a little too far at times, even for him.

Overall:
If anything the major flaw of this movie is that everyone is trying too hard most of the time, and it makes many of the scenes feel a little forced. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining film, with a few decent laughs and left me with a smile at the end.
AlexProductionsSep 7, 2013
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was a very odd movie and did not seem anything like the trailer. Steve Carell delivered a very convincing "Burt Wonderstone and made the audience believe he "was" the role. Jim Carrey, though he was playing aThe Incredible Burt Wonderstone was a very odd movie and did not seem anything like the trailer. Steve Carell delivered a very convincing "Burt Wonderstone and made the audience believe he "was" the role. Jim Carrey, though he was playing a character, seemed like he was playing himself, with a wig on. Steve Buscemi really looked like he enjoyed his role and he and Steve had great chemistry on screen.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone began showing Burt, who was inspired as a kid to first do magic by Rance Holloway. (Alan Arkin) Burt bought his magic kit as a kid and performed for a school mate named Anton Marvelton. The movie cuts years in the future to show Burt and Anton performing at the Bally's hotel in Vegas for large audiences every night. After doing the same show every night with the same music and tricks, Burt and Anton's excitement is decreasing and so is their audience. They are losing their audience to a street magician named Steve Gray. I think the movie over dramatizes the fact that Steve is basically trying to kill himself with danger acts, when the audience is calling it amazing "'magic."

To try to regain their audience, Anton hatches an idea. We see a large glass box that Anton and Burt will stay in, hanging high in Vegas. There is a large crowd already forming until within twenty minutes Burt can't take it and shakes the box to the point that Anton falls out getting severely injured and the group breaking up.

When Burt realizes he has no money, he gets jobs such as performing at a department store and an elderly home where he meets up with his childhood inspiration, Mr. Holloway. As they rewrite the magic show together, Burt, Anton, Rance, and Jane, (assistant) put on their greatest show yet featuring a trick called the disappearing audience. Will they pull it off? You'll have to see the movie to find out.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was not terrible, but it certainly was not good. Though the movie was meant to tell a story, they could have easily cut the 90 minute film in half and still have the same effect. There were many times I felt I was watching empty movie fill that Don Scardino (Director) put in just to make it a respectable run time. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a movie you should even spend the $15 and buy the DVD for. My opinion? Borrow it from a friend if you want it see it that badly. It's a wonder they made it.
JohnnyStephensAug 30, 2013
I do not actually love Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel......now. Their older movies were very good and sometimes very funny, but this one was awful!! I am very disappointed.
hoops2448Aug 26, 2013
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right inThe Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right in this films wheelhouse. The film follows what happens when Burt (Steve Carell) is left by his long time magic partner Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi). Burt must struggle to create a new act as an insane newcomer (Jim Carrey) threatens to ruin not only Burt's career but the future of magic itself.
Understandably surreal, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is really a film about lost childhood's and the never changing feeling of wonder. Burt is a child at heart and at times he is a child in reality. The film tells a decent story that loses its way towards the end as it begins to trip into the valley of formula and gets lost. The film is at its best when its a story of friendship as the dynamics between Burt and Anton as well as Burt and aspiring magician Jane (Olivia Wilde) are what really work in this picture. Carell is terrific as usual and Carrey has returned to the kind of character he was made for but the film lacks any real emotional conclusion as the film takes a turn for the zany. Even the absolutely hilarious credits sequence doesn't help as the film leaves you wanting a little bit more magic.
TheQuietGamerAug 23, 2013
With funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. TheWith funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. The movie mostly just goes along using predictable jokes and moments that fail to even bring a chuckle. This movie is actually a lot like a magic trick in that if you've seen the routine before it's not exciting a second time. In this movies case its routine has been seen many times before, despite the magician theme. Overall you won't be missing much if you pass on this one. Expand
BradySmithAug 17, 2013
Not incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. WellNot incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's always watchable despite the fact that nearly every joke is dead on arrival, but that makes it even more disappointing. Imagine a movie with this cast and a script that's actually funny. I have to admit the last scene was funny though, but it's not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. Expand
SpangleAug 14, 2013
Not sure why all the hate for this film as it is quite funny. Sure, its got plenty of stupid humor and is pretty predictable, but regardless, it is refreshing to see a modern comedy that is funny without having to turn to raunchy humor. InNot sure why all the hate for this film as it is quite funny. Sure, its got plenty of stupid humor and is pretty predictable, but regardless, it is refreshing to see a modern comedy that is funny without having to turn to raunchy humor. In addition, the acting is funny and well done. For what it is, the movie is a very fun and well done watch. Expand
DukeJonAug 5, 2013
This could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quiteThis could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quite predictable. Steve Carell's character just isn't interesting enough to carry the film, and Jim Carrey completely steals every scene he's in. Not enough jokes and Olivia Wilde's character is underdeveloped. Expand
ZlayaJul 30, 2013
Once again, amazing Jim Carrey and cool story with little boring and slow ending. I had great time and fun watching it, but still understand why other people find this film so average.
Smoov-EJul 17, 2013
I expected to hate this, but it's the best Carell has done since 40 year old virgin, and the best Jim has done since the nineties. Definitely worth the watch.
Pablo22Jul 2, 2013
I wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at myI wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they were quite few and not so funny as The Brain Rapist´s (Carrey). Olivia Wilde as always is as always amaaazingly hot and she acts pretty well too.
Aside from this it has its pacing and execution flaws and it isn´t an achieved marvel. It never strays further or bigger than a fun movie.
But what kept me from having a boring and regular time was the charm of the movie. Maybe it was the story, maybe the laughs or maybe the mood that it sets in general!
If you want a fun easy time watch it! It could be a rainy night or you´ve had a rough day and you need to cheer up, pop this movie in!
MikefromAngusJun 28, 2013
So many good actors, an interesting story. The movie had so much potential, but they ruined it. A lot of the things happening in the movie, were not even possible. Making the whole movie, just one big joke.
Bruce722Jun 28, 2013
This movie was actually quite a bit better than I expected. It had the laughs I thought it would, largely thanks to Jim Carrey. But it also actually had a fairly decent plot and solid character development. Steve Carell was great and OliviaThis movie was actually quite a bit better than I expected. It had the laughs I thought it would, largely thanks to Jim Carrey. But it also actually had a fairly decent plot and solid character development. Steve Carell was great and Olivia Wilde was stunning. Bottom line, if you're looking for good laughs while still watching a decent movie, this is a good option. Expand
GamerGuy09Jun 27, 2013
I was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve CarrelI was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve Carrel charm to him after half way into the movie. This really includes most of the other characters. I thought Jim Carry's character was kinda lacking, he did a good job acting wise but the character didn't have much to do besides doing dumb.....really dumb "magic" tricks. There is also a love story that did not need to be there in the first place. If it wasn't there I would actually give this movie an 8. However, this is a fun little movie that I would recommend. Sure, it has its flaws, but I was happy when it was over. Expand
jamessJun 26, 2013
Let's see...a pompous a-hole, who is tops of his profession, has a falling out with his long time partner, is shown up by a wild newcomer, hits rock bottom and has to rediscover his passion to win in the end, with the help of an older mentor.Let's see...a pompous a-hole, who is tops of his profession, has a falling out with his long time partner, is shown up by a wild newcomer, hits rock bottom and has to rediscover his passion to win in the end, with the help of an older mentor. Yup. Just described Ricky Bobby:Teledega Nights. AND this pale attempt to mine the Will Farrell-type jerk comedy. In fact, replace Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi (who are great, just not in these roles, they're good) with Farrell and John C O'Reilly, and the movie would have been much funnier. Granted, Jim Carrey excels in the crazy chris Angel-type role, which is truly a supporting role, and its always a joy to see Alan Arkin in anything. This could have been so much better. A comedy is more than over the top costumes and hairstyles... Expand
survivorfan989Jun 23, 2013
I don't like Steve Carell, especially when he plays a douche, so I was never going to love this film. I do, however, like Jim Carrey, so when you even the two out you get a so-so film. Watching Wonderstone be horrible to those around him isI don't like Steve Carell, especially when he plays a douche, so I was never going to love this film. I do, however, like Jim Carrey, so when you even the two out you get a so-so film. Watching Wonderstone be horrible to those around him is almost cringe-worthy, but predictably he gets better and the film picks up more towards the end. It has some good laughs but it wasn't consistent enough to be a successful comedy film, but those who like the actors should be pleased enough. Expand
DC4CardsJun 18, 2013
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a good movie. Its mildly entertaining, has a few laughs but overall is a rent and that's a stretch. I normally love Steve Carrell, but not here. You will make it through the movie but that's about it.
SmeeJun 15, 2013
This movie is stupid and only 2 or 3 laughable jokes.Time to Steve carl to retire and join with Adam sandler.This movie used Diary of wimpy kid Star to market the movie and so lame and waste of money if you watched in a Cinema complex.
BrianMcCriticJun 8, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film trying to be Zoolander or Anchorman that turns out to be Semi-Pro. I love Steve Carell and Jim Carey, but not in this unfunny obnoxious mess. I mean how long can you hold your urine. Really? Expand
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"While not on par with any of the actors previous attempts at hardcore comedy. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a heart-felt and funny flick that is easily forgettable and truthfully lacks much of the razzle-dazzle the film needed in order"While not on par with any of the actors previous attempts at hardcore comedy. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a heart-felt and funny flick that is easily forgettable and truthfully lacks much of the razzle-dazzle the film needed in order to be great." B- Expand
PimpinpakmanMay 6, 2013
Most of the jokes are in the trailers. I expected a much funnier movie after viewing the trailer than the one showed in theater. If i were you, i would just wait for it to make it to dvd and rent it instead
MPancho13May 2, 2013
There are some funny moments (That will happen when you have the momentous talents of Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey) but overall this movie just felt forced. It reminded me of some of the later Adam Sandler movies, a bunch of talented comedicThere are some funny moments (That will happen when you have the momentous talents of Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey) but overall this movie just felt forced. It reminded me of some of the later Adam Sandler movies, a bunch of talented comedic actors phoning it in with a poorly scripted premise. In summation it is a fine movie to catch on cable if your dvr is empty, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. Expand