5.8

1. Dec 28, 2013
    This movie is worth watching for Jim Carrey alone, who should have been more prominently featured. Some jokes here do work, but many scenes feel cliched and don't earn the drama they attempt.
  2. Oct 18, 2013
    I found Steve Carrell's character really really annoying to start with, but the film starting picking up and it was really funny. Jim Carrey is mental it's official!
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    A bit of a slow start, and Carell odes play his role a bit too over the top at first. But the deeper into the movie you, the more fun and endearing it gets. Acting is decent. Kind of funny to see Carrey playing the antagonist., but he does go a little too far at times, even for him.

Overall:
    If anything the major flaw of this movie is that everyone is trying too hard most of the time,
    and it makes many of the scenes feel a little forced. Regardless, it's still a very entertaining film, with a few decent laughs and left me with a smile at the end. Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was a very odd movie and did not seem anything like the trailer. Steve Carell delivered a very convincing "Burt Wonderstone and made the audience believe he "was" the role. Jim Carrey, though he was playing a character, seemed like he was playing himself, with a wig on. Steve Buscemi really looked like he enjoyed his role and he and Steve had great chemistry on screen.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone began showing Burt, who was inspired as a kid to first do magic by Rance Holloway. (Alan Arkin) Burt bought his magic kit as a kid and performed for a school mate named Anton Marvelton. The movie cuts years in the future to show Burt and Anton performing at the Bally's hotel in Vegas for large audiences every night. After doing the same show every night with the same music and tricks, Burt and Anton's excitement is decreasing and so is their audience. They are losing their audience to a street magician named Steve Gray. I think the movie over dramatizes the fact that Steve is basically trying to kill himself with danger acts, when the audience is calling it amazing "'magic."

To try to regain their audience, Anton hatches an idea. We see a large glass box that Anton and Burt will stay in, hanging high in Vegas. There is a large crowd already forming until within twenty minutes Burt can't take it and shakes the box to the point that Anton falls out getting severely injured and the group breaking up.

When Burt realizes he has no money, he gets jobs such as performing at a department store and an elderly home where he meets up with his childhood inspiration, Mr. Holloway. As they rewrite the magic show together, Burt, Anton, Rance, and Jane, (assistant) put on their greatest show yet featuring a trick called the disappearing audience. Will they pull it off? You'll have to see the movie to find out.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was not terrible, but it certainly was not good. Though the movie was meant to tell a story, they could have easily cut the 90 minute film in half and still have the same effect. There were many times I felt I was watching empty movie fill that Don Scardino (Director) put in just to make it a respectable run time. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a movie you should even spend the $15 and buy the DVD for. My opinion? Borrow it from a friend if you want it see it that badly. It's a wonder they made it.
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    I do not actually love Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel......now. Their older movies were very good and sometimes very funny, but this one was awful!! I am very disappointed.
  6. Aug 26, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right in this films wheelhouse. The film follows what happens when Burt (Steve Carell) is left by his long time magic partner Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi). Burt must struggle to create a new act as an insane newcomer (Jim Carrey) threatens to ruin not only Burt's career but the future of magic itself.
    Understandably surreal, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is really a film about lost childhood's and the never changing feeling of wonder. Burt is a child at heart and at times he is a child in reality. The film tells a decent story that loses its way towards the end as it begins to trip into the valley of formula and gets lost. The film is at its best when its a story of friendship as the dynamics between Burt and Anton as well as Burt and aspiring magician Jane (Olivia Wilde) are what really work in this picture. Carell is terrific as usual and Carrey has returned to the kind of character he was made for but the film lacks any real emotional conclusion as the film takes a turn for the zany. Even the absolutely hilarious credits sequence doesn't help as the film leaves you wanting a little bit more magic.
  7. Aug 23, 2013
    With funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. The movie mostly just goes along using predictable jokes and moments that fail to even bring a chuckle. This movie is actually a lot like a magic trick in that if you've seen the routine before it's not exciting a second time. In this movies case its routine has been seen many times before, despite the magician theme. Overall you won't be missing much if you pass on this one. Expand
  8. Aug 17, 2013
    Not incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's always watchable despite the fact that nearly every joke is dead on arrival, but that makes it even more disappointing. Imagine a movie with this cast and a script that's actually funny. I have to admit the last scene was funny though, but it's not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. Expand
  9. Aug 14, 2013
    Not sure why all the hate for this film as it is quite funny. Sure, its got plenty of stupid humor and is pretty predictable, but regardless, it is refreshing to see a modern comedy that is funny without having to turn to raunchy humor. In addition, the acting is funny and well done. For what it is, the movie is a very fun and well done watch.
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    This could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quite predictable. Steve Carell's character just isn't interesting enough to carry the film, and Jim Carrey completely steals every scene he's in. Not enough jokes and Olivia Wilde's character is underdeveloped. Expand
  11. Jul 30, 2013
    Once again, amazing Jim Carrey and cool story with little boring and slow ending. I had great time and fun watching it, but still understand why other people find this film so average.
  12. Jul 17, 2013
    I expected to hate this, but it's the best Carell has done since 40 year old virgin, and the best Jim has done since the nineties. Definitely worth the watch.
  13. Jul 2, 2013
    I wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they were quite few and not so funny as The Brain Rapist´s (Carrey). Olivia Wilde as always is as always amaaazingly hot and she acts pretty well too.
    Aside from this it has its pacing and execution flaws and it isn´t an achieved marvel. It never strays further or bigger than a fun movie.
    But what kept me from having a boring and regular time was the charm of the movie. Maybe it was the story, maybe the laughs or maybe the mood that it sets in general!
    If you want a fun easy time watch it! It could be a rainy night or you´ve had a rough day and you need to cheer up, pop this movie in!
  14. Jul 1, 2013
    Esta comedia no me gusto mucho, en toda la pelicula no paso nada emocionante y nada sorprendente, la veo como una comedia aburrida y sin sentido, lo unico que pudo levantarle el animo a la pelicula fue el final.
  15. Jun 28, 2013
    So many good actors, an interesting story. The movie had so much potential, but they ruined it. A lot of the things happening in the movie, were not even possible. Making the whole movie, just one big joke.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    This movie was actually quite a bit better than I expected. It had the laughs I thought it would, largely thanks to Jim Carrey. But it also actually had a fairly decent plot and solid character development. Steve Carell was great and Olivia Wilde was stunning. Bottom line, if you're looking for good laughs while still watching a decent movie, this is a good option.
  17. Jun 27, 2013
    I was genuinely shocked on how much I laughed during this movie.There are a few missed lines, but most of them made me laugh. Steve Carrel did a great job, his character was a bit to crazy at the beginning. However he brought his Steve Carrel charm to him after half way into the movie. This really includes most of the other characters. I thought Jim Carry's character was kinda lacking, he did a good job acting wise but the character didn't have much to do besides doing dumb.....really dumb "magic" tricks. There is also a love story that did not need to be there in the first place. If it wasn't there I would actually give this movie an 8. However, this is a fun little movie that I would recommend. Sure, it has its flaws, but I was happy when it was over. Expand
  18. Jun 26, 2013
    Let's see...a pompous a-hole, who is tops of his profession, has a falling out with his long time partner, is shown up by a wild newcomer, hits rock bottom and has to rediscover his passion to win in the end, with the help of an older mentor. Yup. Just described Ricky Bobby:Teledega Nights. AND this pale attempt to mine the Will Farrell-type jerk comedy. In fact, replace Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi (who are great, just not in these roles, they're good) with Farrell and John C O'Reilly, and the movie would have been much funnier. Granted, Jim Carrey excels in the crazy chris Angel-type role, which is truly a supporting role, and its always a joy to see Alan Arkin in anything. This could have been so much better. A comedy is more than over the top costumes and hairstyles... Expand
  19. Jun 23, 2013
    I don't like Steve Carell, especially when he plays a douche, so I was never going to love this film. I do, however, like Jim Carrey, so when you even the two out you get a so-so film. Watching Wonderstone be horrible to those around him is almost cringe-worthy, but predictably he gets better and the film picks up more towards the end. It has some good laughs but it wasn't consistent enough to be a successful comedy film, but those who like the actors should be pleased enough. Expand
  20. Jun 18, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a good movie. Its mildly entertaining, has a few laughs but overall is a rent and that's a stretch. I normally love Steve Carrell, but not here. You will make it through the movie but that's about it.
  21. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie is stupid and only 2 or 3 laughable jokes.Time to Steve carl to retire and join with Adam sandler.This movie used Diary of wimpy kid Star to market the movie and so lame and waste of money if you watched in a Cinema complex.
  22. Jun 13, 2013
    A few laughs but nothing serious. The magic tricks through out the film are pretty enjoyable and that alone makes it worth watching, They were pretty interesting. The plot is ok, Nothing to complain about. The acting is solid as well but Carrell does get on my nerves quite a bit through out. Carrey is easily the star of the movie, I thought he was great and really stole the show. Worth giving a shot. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film trying to be Zoolander or Anchorman that turns out to be Semi-Pro. I love Steve Carell and Jim Carey, but not in this unfunny obnoxious mess. I mean how long can you hold your urine. Really? Expand
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    "While not on par with any of the actors previous attempts at hardcore comedy. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a heart-felt and funny flick that is easily forgettable and truthfully lacks much of the razzle-dazzle the film needed in order to be great." B-
  25. May 6, 2013
    Most of the jokes are in the trailers. I expected a much funnier movie after viewing the trailer than the one showed in theater. If i were you, i would just wait for it to make it to dvd and rent it instead
  26. May 2, 2013
    There are some funny moments (That will happen when you have the momentous talents of Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey) but overall this movie just felt forced. It reminded me of some of the later Adam Sandler movies, a bunch of talented comedic actors phoning it in with a poorly scripted premise. In summation it is a fine movie to catch on cable if your dvr is empty, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. Expand
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    This movie was awesome! Jim Carrey was hilarious, just like the old Carrey. Steve Carell also give a decent amount laughs and does a good job. The story is no masterpiece, and may even be considered stupid, but for silly comedies like this the story isn't really as important as the comedy. Olivia Wilde does a good job, and is sexy as usual.

Overall the movie was actually very funny,
    and it's a movie you can't take too seriously. I think it has got some pretty hateful reviews and comments, and it makes me think that some people are losing their sense of humor, or maybe people think their sense of humor is too "sophisticated" for movies like this.

Either way, very funny movie. If you like Carrey and Carell type of comedy, then don't let the bad reviews turn u away. There's definitely laughs to be had in this one.
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    Steve Carrel's latest effort, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone", is a weak and painful effort most of the time, but has it's giggles and laughs here and there. The film is exactly what you would expect from the trailer, a mediocre comedy that won't ever really be considered one of the greats. What really drags down the film's score for me is Jim Carrey in this film. This performance may be the worst he has done. Almost every time he does a comedy, it seems like "Ace Ventura" every performance, doing nothing but poop and pee jokes while being hyper and energetic. Steve Carrel and Steve Buscemi are the strong points of the film, being the only ones who will make you laugh. Expand
  29. Apr 18, 2013
    Taking it at face value its a great story with some of the powerhouse comedy actors of the last decade. Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, and Jim Carey all make appearances in a comedy about Magicians, probably the most original concept to come out of Hollywood in years. Throw in a touch of Olivia Wilde (remembered fondly as 13 from House), some Alan Arkin and a dash of James Gandolfini and you have yourself a ridiculous film that can't be taken too seriously and doesn't intend on being taken seriously.

There is solid acting from your main characters, with Jim Carey again going over the top with his portrayal of masochistic street magician Steve Gray (roughly analogous to modern day Chris Angel) and Olivia Wilde as the reluctant love interest who also happens to be a skilled magician herself.

The plot is fresh, original and in some ways makes sense. It strikes a tone asking the question why would any person devote their life to the art of illusion and magic. They really aren't doing it for themselves, but for the joy of others. While it glosses over the deeper meaning of such a question it does at least give the audience something to think about.

In all I can't help but think of this as a more toned down and slightly more serious version of something like Talladega Nights or something similar. It's just all around good entertainment with a fresh new plot and a great cast.
  30. Apr 8, 2013
    Why has this been so harshly reviewed? It´s a cute little comedy, that gave some original and new jokes, that made me laugh a lot. The laid back style reminded me of the movie "There is something about Mary". It has a part in the middle that gets a little thin, but other than that it has a good flow. The dynamic of the film is also a bit different, and it peaks at different points, which I found refreshing.
    The role of Jim Carrey was a nice surprise. It "dusted" him off a little as a comedy actor, and gave him a new and toned down angle, which I think really suited him.
    Don´t expect the 7th wonder of the world, but a nice little film that is light hearted and will make you chuckle and laugh, if you have the same humour as me. I think you should give it a shot

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    As ever with comedies like this, all the really funny stuff is in the opening 20 minutes. But it's entertaining stuff, with a scene-stealer from Alan Arkin.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Mar 14, 2013
    For my first trick, allow me to write off an entire picture by merely affixing to the title a one-word contraction: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone isn’t. Please hold your applause.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Mar 14, 2013
    Steve Carell is fatally miscast as an arrogant, flamboyant third-rate magician in The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, which by all rights should have been a second-rate Will Ferrell vehicle.