5.8

1. Jul 2, 2013
    I wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they wereI wasn´t really excited about this one, in fact I just finished seeing it online haha. And it was a good, light and fun time! I laughed a good amount especially in Jim Carrey´s scenes (the Red Hot Coals Trick made me laugh out loud at my computer screen) which are so funnily acted by this man. The two Steves (Carell and Buscemi) had their moments too ("Is this badge ready?") but they were quite few and not so funny as The Brain Rapist´s (Carrey). Olivia Wilde as always is as always amaaazingly hot and she acts pretty well too.
    Aside from this it has its pacing and execution flaws and it isn´t an achieved marvel. It never strays further or bigger than a fun movie.
    But what kept me from having a boring and regular time was the charm of the movie. Maybe it was the story, maybe the laughs or maybe the mood that it sets in general!
    If you want a fun easy time watch it! It could be a rainy night or you´ve had a rough day and you need to cheer up, pop this movie in!
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    I expected to hate this, but it's the best Carell has done since 40 year old virgin, and the best Jim has done since the nineties. Definitely worth the watch.
  3. Mar 17, 2013
    After seeing such a low score for the critics I thought this movie was going to suck. Turns out the critics just don't know a funny movie when they see one. I'm not saying this movie is perfect because it has several flaws but I still had a fun watching. The actors were funny. Honestly I have never liked Steve but he was really funny in this movie. If you pay more then $10 to see thisAfter seeing such a low score for the critics I thought this movie was going to suck. Turns out the critics just don't know a funny movie when they see one. I'm not saying this movie is perfect because it has several flaws but I still had a fun watching. The actors were funny. Honestly I have never liked Steve but he was really funny in this movie. If you pay more then $10 to see this movie you might be a little upset and would just want to rent it but it's definitely worth a watch. Expand
  4. Aug 17, 2013
    Not incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's alwaysNot incredible in the least. It's a dull, unfunny comedy that wastes a great cast. If Steve Carrel, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, Jim Carrey, and Olivia Wilde can all be together in a movie without it being good, than you have a problem. Well actually, if Olivia Wilde is in something by herself and it's not good you have a problem. (She's hot!) With this good of a cast it's always watchable despite the fact that nearly every joke is dead on arrival, but that makes it even more disappointing. Imagine a movie with this cast and a script that's actually funny. I have to admit the last scene was funny though, but it's not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    This movie was awesome! Jim Carrey was hilarious, just like the old Carrey. Steve Carell also give a decent amount laughs and does a good job. The story is no masterpiece, and may even be considered stupid, but for silly comedies like this the story isn't really as important as the comedy. Olivia Wilde does a good job, and is sexy as usual.

Overall the movie was actually very funny,

Overall the movie was actually very funny, and it's a movie you can't take too seriously. I think it has got some pretty hateful reviews and comments, and it makes me think that some people are losing their sense of humor, or maybe people think their sense of humor is too "sophisticated" for movies like this.

Either way, very funny movie. If you like Carrey and Carell type of comedy, then don't let the bad reviews turn u away. There's definitely laughs to be had in this one.
  6. Mar 16, 2013
    Definitely better than expected; I feel that the critics were a bit harsh on this one. There were quite a few laughs throughout the movie, the story was decent, and the characters were well cast. The movie isn't perfect by any means, but compared to most comedies that typically hit the big screen The Incredible Burt Wonderstone was entertaining and a success.
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    I came into this movie with low expectations. I figured.. with comedies nowadays, this will be boring and quite cheesy. Fortunately, I was mistaken. I really enjoyed this movie. Steve Carrell (as always) made me laugh, Jim Carrey was just utterly insane, and I just found it much funnier than I had hoped. So, cheers to you guys, you have made a successful comedy in 2013. That's a rare thing.
  8. Mar 23, 2013
    I thought this was a very funny, entertaining movie. I did have a few problems though. I didn't think that Jim Carrey was in it nearly as much as he should have been, but the times that he was in it he was hilarious. I did like the movie's premise of the two warring magicians because it was something I'd never seen before. I would really recommend this movie to someone who wants a good laugh.
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    First of all Jim Carrey saved this movie big time. If he wasn't in it it probably wouldn't have been that good at all. Jim Carrey had me laughing the whole time he was in it. Steve Carrell was a little funny but not hilarious. The main problem is that Carrey should have had a bigger part. But overall it was pretty good.
  10. Mar 31, 2013
    I expected little so I was pleasantly surprised. There are a number of humorous lines and scenes. There also is a lame pseudo love story jammed in. It isn't as good as anchorman but has a similar appeal.
  11. Jun 28, 2013
    So many good actors, an interesting story. The movie had so much potential, but they ruined it. A lot of the things happening in the movie, were not even possible. Making the whole movie, just one big joke.
  12. Mar 18, 2013
    Full disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight intoFull disclosure, I'm a Carell fan-boy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this movie. I should have stayed away. This is the type of comedy that has no appeal to my funny bone whatsoever. This film is trying desperately to be Anchorman but falls flat in every way. The first 20 minutes gives us a glimpse into the two main stars childhood. Presumably to give us some insight into the characters motivation, and to help us connect with them. Strike 1 and strike 2. Why would you spend 20 minutes of a comedy setting up your hero to be sympathetic to the audience if in the very next scene you plan on making him an unsympathetic egomaniac, inexplicable. Every single character in this movie except for Olivia Wilde's is played completely over the top. Correct that. Apparently they were told to play the character over the top, and then crank it up another notch.

Of course all of this is forgiveable in a comedy if it does the one thing that everyone expects, make us laugh. As you can probably already tell Wonderstone fails here as well. Two jokes landed for me in an hour and a half. When the name of Carrey's characters television show is revealed and the scene after the credits start rolling. Except for those not even a chuckle. It's the same way as I feel about The Office post Carell (in case your wondering why I'm a fan-boy).
  13. Apr 26, 2013
    Steve Carrel's latest effort, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone", is a weak and painful effort most of the time, but has it's giggles and laughs here and there. The film is exactly what you would expect from the trailer, a mediocre comedy that won't ever really be considered one of the greats. What really drags down the film's score for me is Jim Carrey in this film. This performance may beSteve Carrel's latest effort, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone", is a weak and painful effort most of the time, but has it's giggles and laughs here and there. The film is exactly what you would expect from the trailer, a mediocre comedy that won't ever really be considered one of the greats. What really drags down the film's score for me is Jim Carrey in this film. This performance may be the worst he has done. Almost every time he does a comedy, it seems like "Ace Ventura" every performance, doing nothing but poop and pee jokes while being hyper and energetic. Steve Carrel and Steve Buscemi are the strong points of the film, being the only ones who will make you laugh. Expand
  14. Mar 16, 2013
    Carrey and Carrell have good experimental vicious battles between them, which makes this movie special. Don Scardino has made a movie so funny you will roll down from your seat and still laugh, a very successful comedy in 2013 is very very rare because of people that make stupid crouched up films. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is incredible.
  15. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film trying to be Zoolander or Anchorman that turns out to be Semi-Pro. I love Steve Carell and Jim Carey, but not in this unfunny obnoxious mess. I mean how long can you hold your urine. Really? Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2013
    This movie was a blast. Jim Carey's character was bizarre. We had low exepctations but were just wanting to see a funny movie. My family loved it and recommended it to my mother and she didn't think it was that great. I guess it is a movie that you either love or hate. I never want to see movies twice but I will be going to see it again.
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    Where do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out andWhere do I begin as the song goes. To tell a story of a movie so poorly written and so poorly acted that finding even a minimal positive characteristic or feature is virtually impossible. I'm starting to feel badly for Jim Carrey, a middle aged man, still doing the same shtick type comedy he did in his twenty's. was sad. I've always liked Jim's movies because they brought out and showcased his talent of which he had a lot of. I agree with the Wall Street Journal's review, sadly, about this exceptional unfunny movie. Not worth the price unless you're the type who unconditionally likes Jim. Save your money for a movie I understand he has coming out this August. Expand
  18. Apr 5, 2013
    Now this movie does not get the credit it deserves. It is funny, touching, and you know what, it even teaches us something. "What? A movie trying to teach us a lesson about doing something because you love it not because you are getting paid, all while at the same time making us laugh, with a plot about magic?! Absurd!" Ok. So maybe that comes off as a little cynical but I get that sort ofNow this movie does not get the credit it deserves. It is funny, touching, and you know what, it even teaches us something. "What? A movie trying to teach us a lesson about doing something because you love it not because you are getting paid, all while at the same time making us laugh, with a plot about magic?! Absurd!" Ok. So maybe that comes off as a little cynical but I get that sort of argument a lot from people. I guess it can sometimes come off as a little cheesy but it isn't as if the movie just screams the message at you. And this movie is freaking hilarious. Seriously, I don't think I have laughed in a theater so hard in a while. The jokes in this movie, when they work, land hard and strong. Not to say there are jokes that don't kinda fall flat. But you know that sometimes is going to happen. I think that this movie did what it needed to do well. It isn't perfect by any means, but it is worth seeing. So I give it a final verdict of 6/10. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2013
    I do not actually love Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel......now. Their older movies were very good and sometimes very funny, but this one was awful!! I am very disappointed.
  20. Jun 4, 2013
    "While not on par with any of the actors previous attempts at hardcore comedy. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is a heart-felt and funny flick that is easily forgettable and truthfully lacks much of the razzle-dazzle the film needed in order to be great." B-
  21. Mar 20, 2013
    Steve Carell plays the title character, a flashy Vegas magician. His career crashes after he splits with his partner (Steve Buscemi). That means he must struggle to make the predictable rebirth. Although Carell is sometimes funny, his character isn't likable, which makes it hard to care about him. Buscemi adds nothing and Jim Carrey (as the hot new competition) is uncomfortably weird. NoSteve Carell plays the title character, a flashy Vegas magician. His career crashes after he splits with his partner (Steve Buscemi). That means he must struggle to make the predictable rebirth. Although Carell is sometimes funny, his character isn't likable, which makes it hard to care about him. Buscemi adds nothing and Jim Carrey (as the hot new competition) is uncomfortably weird. No matter how much you want to like this movie, it's trying too hard to be over-the-top funny and only rarely succeeds. Expand
  22. Aug 23, 2013
    With funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. The movie mostly just goes along using predictable jokes and moments that fail to even bring a chuckle. This movie is actually a lot like a magic trick inWith funny guys like Steve Carrell and Buscemi I expected a lot from this movie, but ultimately it falls short. It has got some incredibly funny moments, most of which surprisingly come from Jim Carrey, but they are few and far between. The movie mostly just goes along using predictable jokes and moments that fail to even bring a chuckle. This movie is actually a lot like a magic trick in that if you've seen the routine before it's not exciting a second time. In this movies case its routine has been seen many times before, despite the magician theme. Overall you won't be missing much if you pass on this one. Expand
  23. Aug 5, 2013
    This could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quite predictable. Steve Carell's character just isn't interesting enough to carry the film, and Jim Carrey completely steals every scene he's in. Not enough jokes andThis could have been so much more. A few laugh-out loud moments (in particular arriving at the old casino to look for a job only to see it being demolished, and of course the final magic trick at the end) but other than that quite predictable. Steve Carell's character just isn't interesting enough to carry the film, and Jim Carrey completely steals every scene he's in. Not enough jokes and Olivia Wilde's character is underdeveloped. Expand
  24. Aug 26, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right in this films wheelhouse. The film follows what happens when Burt (Steve Carell) is left by his long time magic partner Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi).The Incredible Burt Wonderstone feels like one big in joke and it really doesn't help involve you in the proceedings making the film a futile effort in powerful storytelling. Stupid and occasionally hilarious storytelling though is right in this films wheelhouse. The film follows what happens when Burt (Steve Carell) is left by his long time magic partner Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi). Burt must struggle to create a new act as an insane newcomer (Jim Carrey) threatens to ruin not only Burt's career but the future of magic itself.
    Understandably surreal, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is really a film about lost childhood's and the never changing feeling of wonder. Burt is a child at heart and at times he is a child in reality. The film tells a decent story that loses its way towards the end as it begins to trip into the valley of formula and gets lost. The film is at its best when its a story of friendship as the dynamics between Burt and Anton as well as Burt and aspiring magician Jane (Olivia Wilde) are what really work in this picture. Carell is terrific as usual and Carrey has returned to the kind of character he was made for but the film lacks any real emotional conclusion as the film takes a turn for the zany. Even the absolutely hilarious credits sequence doesn't help as the film leaves you wanting a little bit more magic.
  25. Jun 28, 2013
    This movie was actually quite a bit better than I expected. It had the laughs I thought it would, largely thanks to Jim Carrey. But it also actually had a fairly decent plot and solid character development. Steve Carell was great and Olivia Wilde was stunning. Bottom line, if you're looking for good laughs while still watching a decent movie, this is a good option.
  26. Jun 13, 2013
    A few laughs but nothing serious. The magic tricks through out the film are pretty enjoyable and that alone makes it worth watching, They were pretty interesting. The plot is ok, Nothing to complain about. The acting is solid as well but Carrell does get on my nerves quite a bit through out. Carrey is easily the star of the movie, I thought he was great and really stole the show. WorthA few laughs but nothing serious. The magic tricks through out the film are pretty enjoyable and that alone makes it worth watching, They were pretty interesting. The plot is ok, Nothing to complain about. The acting is solid as well but Carrell does get on my nerves quite a bit through out. Carrey is easily the star of the movie, I thought he was great and really stole the show. Worth giving a shot. Expand
  27. Aug 14, 2013
    Not sure why all the hate for this film as it is quite funny. Sure, its got plenty of stupid humor and is pretty predictable, but regardless, it is refreshing to see a modern comedy that is funny without having to turn to raunchy humor. In addition, the acting is funny and well done. For what it is, the movie is a very fun and well done watch.
  28. Mar 15, 2013
    If you are a fan of Steve Carell then you will enjoy this film. It's got some heart and a decent amount of chuckles. I wish Carrey was funnier and in it more than he was but compared to other 2013 "comedies" like Identity Thief, Wonderstone delivers solid fun.
  29. Jun 18, 2013
    The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is not a good movie. Its mildly entertaining, has a few laughs but overall is a rent and that's a stretch. I normally love Steve Carrell, but not here. You will make it through the movie but that's about it.
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie is stupid and only 2 or 3 laughable jokes.Time to Steve carl to retire and join with Adam sandler.This movie used Diary of wimpy kid Star to market the movie and so lame and waste of money if you watched in a Cinema complex.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    As ever with comedies like this, all the really funny stuff is in the opening 20 minutes. But it's entertaining stuff, with a scene-stealer from Alan Arkin.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Mar 14, 2013
    For my first trick, allow me to write off an entire picture by merely affixing to the title a one-word contraction: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone isn’t. Please hold your applause.
  3. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Mar 14, 2013
    Steve Carell is fatally miscast as an arrogant, flamboyant third-rate magician in The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, which by all rights should have been a second-rate Will Ferrell vehicle.