5.9

1. Aug 19, 2011
    When I saw The Informant! in my On Demand "$1.99 or less" section, I had to wonder why. Looking back, the commercials made it out to look like a funny little movie about a goofy FBI informant full of cheeky groaners. And come on, nothing with Matt Damon and Scott Bakula could be that bad. At a stretch, the movie is labeled a comedy. From the opening of the movie onward, we're treated to Mark Whitacre's inner monologue. Fun fact: It's mostly about corn and corn products. For those of us who don't find a guy obsessing over corn hilarious, it would seem Mr. Soderbergh set down a single alternate steam of "humor", the ever-changing lie that Whitacre tells. That gets about as funny as a kid making up excuses for missing homework. I began falling asleep 30 minutes in, and checking how much longer every 10 minutes. 2 hours I wish I had slept through, a great comedy for those of us who don't like to laugh. Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2010
    Underrated story of bizarre corporate executive, Mark Whitacre in a story of manufactured espionage that keeps the viewer thinking throughout the entire film. Funny, dark and disturbing when one thinks of the people running corporate America.
  3. Aug 26, 2013
    Boooring And the fault is by no means of the actors, the plot was completely destroyed by the director... I really dont know how this movie hit the box, it looks like something unfinished...
  4. Oct 16, 2010
    One word to describe this movie, bad. Tell you the truth I couldn't even finish watching because it was so uninteresting and NOT funny, actually, was this movie suppose to be funny?
  5. Nov 24, 2010
    Years ago I worked for a guy who seemed to be a pretty good egg. Short guy, a bit of a Napolean complex. But also a bit of a swashbuckler, friendly, willing to take chances. Exciting to work for. And what stories he had about his life: successful news director, A-7 pilot in the Air National Guard, award-winning photo-journalist. Never been fired in a business that eats its own.

Then I met
    the guy who'd fired him. And all his stories came crumbling down. Pretty much every one of them a pack of lies. Got so bad he tried to take me down with him when he got canned for a second time. Mark Whitacre's just like him. Whitacre's the guy whose secret tapes help make a price-fixing case against agri-giant Archer Daniels Midland. Working undercover for the FBI for two-and-a-half years, Whitacre assiduously recorded meetings with ADM's competitors at which production levels and prices were fixed. But the more the FBI learned about Whitacre the more it wondered if it was prosecuting the wrong case. Whitacre's life was a hopeless maze of lie piled upon lie. And he embezzled. A lot. In The Informant! director Steven Soderbergh's tells Whitacre's story in a style that is wry, oddly cheerful and yet deeply, deeply cynical. That Soderbergh is after bigger fish than a mere embezzler should be clear from his casting of the enormously sympathetic and likable Matt Damon as the embezzler-in-chief. Damon's uncomfortably convincing as a guy with strange energy who's spinning tales from the opening minute to the last. But Soderbergh treats him almost affectionately. Because in Soderbergh's worl, Whitacre's on the bottom rung of a ladder in which everyone's working an angle, all the way to the top. ADM, the FBI, federal prosecutors, attorneys, the media... no-one's dealing an honest hand. In a world that's so thoroughly corrupt and bumbling, Whitacre's embezzled millions begin to look like small potatoes. So it's kind of funny to watch him make them dance to his tune.

I found The Informant! to be simultaneously entertaining and alienating. There really isn't a character you truly like, except perhaps for Whitacre's eternally supportive wife, and she's a bit of a dim bulb. If the film works it's because Soderbergh refuses to bring the doom and gloom. In a world full of liars, he seems to be saying, whaddya gonna do?
  6. Jul 18, 2012
    Kinda SPOILERS unless you haven't heard anything all about the film: This is an example of the mark of a great actor: the first time you watch this, you're like : "okay" a Matt D says a bunch of stuff. But at the end of the show you find out that it's all lies, so you watch it a second time and see all those times you believed him... it was OBVIOUS he's lying. HAHAHAHHHA. When you know he's lying, it's all clear when before he wasn't. I will tell you a lie right now: I am a deformation and I am determined to end the world. I was obviously lying when I told you that I am a deformation. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2011
    Quirky and witty, 'The Informant!' is a great film. Mat Damon did a great job of portraying Mark Wittaker, a man high up in a corrupt corporation. He did a great job of portraying Wittaker as a man that thought he was a lot smarter and a lot nobler than he actually was. The acting was fantastic, the story intriguing, and just slightly off. The only issue I had with 'The Informant!' was that the pacing slowed dramatically for the last half an hour. Expand
  8. Jan 23, 2012
    A dull boring film that is not funny or engaging. The film's style is stupid and ultimately the film's writer and director let it down. Matt Damon is as good as you can be in a bad movie.
  9. Dec 27, 2011
    "The Informant!" One Line Review - B!

Really well acted all around, funny in a "What is happening?" way more than an obvious gag way, "The Informant!" will keep you interested and entertained. (Starring Matt Damon) - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1200661-informant/
  10. Dec 21, 2012
    This film is funny enough and executed interestingly enough, that the confusion of Damon's character's wavering stories are tolerable, but not quite enough to sail this movie along.
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    The informant is clever!
    Great writing, great acting, funny, smart, and all around good. A really well crafted comedy with an exciting concept that will leave you guessing.

1. Reviewed by: Mark Salisbury
    A comic tour de force from Damon, who gained 30lbs and sports an unflattering moustache as the dishonest and delusional Whitacre. But it’s a performance that never loses sight of the man behind the lies.
  2. The whole film, a comedy about crime and mental illness, seems at war with itself.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Amusingly eccentric rather than outright funny.