8.7

1. Sep 17, 2014
    It's disheartening to see our citizens abused over and over again on bizarre charges. Almost every one of the counts they indicted Aaron with could be applied to nearly any of us if a prosecutor decides they don't like you. We turn a blind eye to these things until they affect us, and then we're surprised at how we're treated.

At it's core it's the same pattern over and over again:
    An individual or organization with a lot of power is in a position where there is a strong incentive to "Win" (perhaps they're running for re-election, or a loss would affect their brand). Winning then drives these perverse behaviors rather than what seems reasonable under the circumstances, or fair relative to similar situations.

In essence you have a society where any form of whistle blowing is liable to be a risk to your normal life in some way, because you will ultimately be bullied by a larger more powerful organization. The whistleblower isn't always right, but on the whole people don't subject themselves to that kind of trouble, unless they see something really troubling. Until we have protections in place, where a whistleblower knows they will get a fair shake, even if they're wrong, we'll continue to have a lot of evil hidden in society because it just isn't worth the risk to most people.

The only way for any one of us to be able to stand up to bullying is the ability for a group of people to mobilize as fast as the bully, which is exceptionally difficult when you're dealing with even a moderately intelligent bully. Unless we encourage and support these kinds of protections in our society, bullies will continue to do what they've always done, pick people off one by one as the rest of us stand around

Thankfully we're not to this point, and hopefully we never will be, but the principle is the same.
  2. Jul 29, 2014
    Watched this a recently and was moved by the story. Swartz story could be seen as a cautionary tale. This film seemed more focused than Knappenberger's previous documentary about Anonymous. Both must-sees for the Internet generation and anyone interested in the current politics of information technology. Great filmmaker, can't wait to see what's next.

1. Reviewed by: Kerry Lengel
    Jul 4, 2014
    In The Internet's Own Boy, writer-director Brian Knappenberger ("We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists") paints a portrait of Swartz as a martyr for the information age, but ultimately the story falls short of such mythic ambition.
  2. Reviewed by: Nikola Grozdanovic
    Jul 3, 2014
    What it lacks in cinematic girth, it makes up for in factual appeal.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Houpt
    Jun 27, 2014
    Delivers a touching, morally outraged portrait that, in memory of Swartz, may inspire people to ask hard questions about how the new world is being shaped away from view, behind closed doors.