6.9

1. stanleyh.
    Oct 27, 2005
    Excellent job,very good performance by nicole kidman and sean penn.worth every penny to watch.
  2. TonyB
    Oct 23, 2005
    I enjoyed this well plotted and beautifully acted film immensely. It has something to say and says it in a manner that assumes its audience is perceptive and intelligent. Nicole Kidman handles a difficult role with strength, dignity and grace. Sean Penn's performance should silence those who claim he is always so over the top.
  3. DanaM.
    May 8, 2005
    Yes, there were some hard-to-believe elements of the story, like the main premise of the movie...someone discussing an assasination in the General Assebly room of the UN. But overall, it was very entertaining, and worth the almost forty bucks it costs to go to the movies these days when all is said and done. A good date flick.
  4. JoshC.
    May 9, 2005
    A refreshingly intelligent screenplay with great acting and an interesting story. Nice footage of New York City is a bonus. This movie is thoroughly enjoyable.
  5. RobK
    Oct 6, 2005
    The movie despite a weak ending, is stil a very solid, thought- provoking film. The movie at one scene got so suspenseful I had to look around the theater to relieve the amounting pressure the film was exerting on me. I thought Kidman did a very good job with how the character was written. Penn's character on the other hand needed to be developed more. The movie overall was definatly The movie despite a weak ending, is stil a very solid, thought- provoking film. The movie at one scene got so suspenseful I had to look around the theater to relieve the amounting pressure the film was exerting on me. I thought Kidman did a very good job with how the character was written. Penn's character on the other hand needed to be developed more. The movie overall was definatly worth my seven bucks. Expand
  6. AnthonyW.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Kidman, Penn and Pollack, Wonderful combination.
  7. ShaneL
    Apr 15, 2005
    A very good suspenseful thriller that keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout the entire film. Beautifully filmed, directed and acted, this was a very pleasant surprise.
  8. Michael
    Apr 17, 2005
    Fabulous
  9. ArielS.
    Apr 20, 2005
    This film was so, intoxicating. Moment by moment I loved Kidman more and more.
  10. Peter
    Apr 22, 2005
    With two Academy Award winning veteran leading actors, this film was a pleasure to watch if only to watch the A-listers shine and strut their stuff. The screenplay was compelling enough but the direction, suspense, and rich and extravagant scenery leaves this film a cut above the rest.
  11. MovieFan
    Apr 23, 2005
    Definitely a very good movie with some well developed points. It was very entertaining and the acting by both Kidman and Penn was perfect for this movie. For those who like this movie I would definitely recommend Hotel Rwanda...a far superior film yet.
  12. KarenW.
    Apr 25, 2005
    Smart & Exciting.
  13. MichaelS.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Excellent film! Throw back to 70's political thrillers like Three Days of the Condor. Great job by Kidman and Penn. The film kept you guessing until the end.
  14. NormG.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Sidney Pollock proves once again he can make a movie. This is my kind of popcorn, thrill-a-minute, old fashion '70s style matinee movie. Nicole Kidman (looking incredibly movie star beautiful) and Sean Pean (comfortably sliding into middle-age movie stardom) are at the top of their games. Not to ruin anything for you but, much to my relief, there was only a hint of romantic Sidney Pollock proves once again he can make a movie. This is my kind of popcorn, thrill-a-minute, old fashion '70s style matinee movie. Nicole Kidman (looking incredibly movie star beautiful) and Sean Pean (comfortably sliding into middle-age movie stardom) are at the top of their games. Not to ruin anything for you but, much to my relief, there was only a hint of romantic chemistry. Anything more would have destroyed the realism of tone. Sure the script might be a little more twisty than it needs to be, and has a few too many scenes in which we're deliberately kept in the dark . . . but it didn't bother me. This is a political thriller that will be on my top ten list for 2005. Expand
  15. HarrisonB.
    Jul 16, 2005
    Good movie. It was the best I'd seen in a while. Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn were great.
  16. CraigR.
    Jul 20, 2005
    It had me glued to the screen and on the edge of my seat. Twists and turns in every direction. The sexual tension between Kidman and Penn was beyond belief and they didn't even end up in bed. Nicole is looking as beautiful as ever, what was Tom Cruise thinking. Sean Penn gave a powerful performance. If this isn't Oscar material, nothing is.
  17. marshall
    Oct 14, 2005
    It was amazing, it's the best hitchcock movie hitchcock never made. i love hitchcock, and this would have been another masterpeice to add to his already amazing collection of murder mysteries. dont get me wrong, it did have a mind of it's own, it didn't follow in the foot steps of other movies, so rent it now!
  18. bjd.
    Nov 4, 2005
    Held my interest. At time it was difficult to understand the characters accent, including Kidman. Sean Penn was great, as usual. Some parts of the movie didn't come together for us, but overall it's worth seeing. And there is violence but most of it is quite subtle.
  19. JaimeH.
    Apr 13, 2005
    I think this movie is one of the best movies i have ever seen. I dont really like political thrillers, however this one is beautifully created in every sence of the word. Nicole Kidman is brilliant as Silvia Broome as is her counterpart Sean Penn as Tobin Keller. This movie is a must see for everyone.
    Very good!
  21. JonT.
    Apr 16, 2005
    Saw screening two weeks ago - this is a very good film. Fast paced, great acting, great script, great music. Worth seeing, definitely.
  22. KevinP.
    Apr 16, 2005
    Big commercial Hollywood thinking-man thrillers of this day (the rare few that exist) don't get any better than this. If you can get past the contrived premise (and the lengths it takes to stretch it to extremes), the various loopholes in the plot (the movie moves quickly enough for you to miss them) and Kidman's shaky accent, this is one good time at the movies, jam packed with Big commercial Hollywood thinking-man thrillers of this day (the rare few that exist) don't get any better than this. If you can get past the contrived premise (and the lengths it takes to stretch it to extremes), the various loopholes in the plot (the movie moves quickly enough for you to miss them) and Kidman's shaky accent, this is one good time at the movies, jam packed with emotions, politics, suspense and humour. Pollack steers the film confidently; the city and the UN building become more than a canvas for these events, they take on strong visual metaphors which drive the film and its message. Penn's performance is exceptional . This film moved me more than I expected. In the end, the message is greater than the flaws. Not to be missed. Expand
  23. DustinW.
    Apr 20, 2005
    Got a chance to see this film 2 days ago, and i wont lie, im not a big fan of these type of movies but WOW! This is one of the BEST movies of the year, very suspensful, and a movie only nicole kidman, sean penn, and sydney pollack could pull off. I hope this film does well since everybody shold see it to form there own opinion. Very brilliant. A Must See!!
  24. RhettW.
    Apr 23, 2005
    In terms of the genre the movie only crackles during the "bus sequence." Pollack good --not great. Nicole and Sean fun to watch. Their acting chemistry was the most compelling thing about the movie.
  25. RimaB.
    Apr 24, 2005
    Sean Penn ,as usual, was excellent.
  26. TheCleanOne
    Apr 26, 2005
    Nice movie. just don't go out with a movie geek (y'know, someone who focuses on the details really really much that they deserve to be kicked out of the movie house) and it'll go fine.
  27. KebbieB.
    May 7, 2005
    I agree that Penn's character is a bit overblown and that his "angst is a distraction". And that is the only reason this movie doesn't get a 9 or possbily 10. Kidman does an excellent job with her character and the twists and suspense are very good for a political thriller. The bus scene is phemomenal (worth the price of admission by itself). And with the current situation in I agree that Penn's character is a bit overblown and that his "angst is a distraction". And that is the only reason this movie doesn't get a 9 or possbily 10. Kidman does an excellent job with her character and the twists and suspense are very good for a political thriller. The bus scene is phemomenal (worth the price of admission by itself). And with the current situation in Sudan, Zimbabwe, (and lest we forget) Rwanda a very relevant and compelling story. Expand
  28. SusanM.
    Nov 22, 2005
    I thought this was a smart and suspenseful thriller, but the ending was a bit silly. Still worth renting, though.
  29. DaveF
    Nov 4, 2005
    Damn good movie. Keeps its head well above the hollywood-cliche quagmire. A "political thriller" with emotional intrigue.
  30. ClintM.
    Oct 19, 2005
    An intelligent, well-acted political thriller. Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn are the best of the best and continue to prove they deserved those Oscars. Loved it!
  31. akilis
    Apr 15, 2005
    Kidman, Penn were brilliant, Pollack did a marvelous job. I will be seeing it again :).
  32. maryjo
    Apr 21, 2005
    Loved the performances of Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. Look out this is oscar worthy for director, lead actree lead actor and supporting actress!!
  33. Michael
    Apr 21, 2005
    Fabulous
  34. ErikO.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Much better than critics from NYT, New Yorker and Slate suggest. I thought the plot was exciting, Kidman was beautiful, and Kidman and Penn were both terrific actors. Yes, there's a little melodrama in his backstory, but all in all a very satisfying movie.
  35. BitBurn
    Apr 23, 2005
    Great movie, great acting, great action!
  36. MattC.
    Apr 24, 2005
    Good movie, yet not one which you have to get completey involved with - and focus to watch - meaning it's very watchable, whatever your mood. Good performaces from Kidman and Penn, and a film that has a nice storyline and enough action that it keeps you interested. 7/10
  37. ToniD.
    Apr 24, 2005
    Good suspenseful thriller. Great acting and plot.
  38. TomM.
    Apr 24, 2005
    Well acted smart thriller.
  39. LindaN.
    Apr 25, 2005
    Very generalized and vague, but it's heart is in the right place. The U.N. needs to take another look at its security based on the ease of getting in and out without detection.
  40. SamL.
    Apr 26, 2005
    AMAZING! Nicole and Sean deserve oscars for the fantastic work here. A spectacular film.
  41. Fantasy
    Apr 26, 2005
    Very entertaining film in that it is suspenseful and the acting is excellent. Worth the watch.
  42. wiesb.
    Jul 25, 2005
    A competent and interesting movie, good acting, real people, a bit old fashioned maybe.
  43. Syd.B.
    Sep 28, 2005
    God bless Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn for giving performances that should get them oscar nominations but prob wont happen since this was released WAY to early..anyway i loved this movie and will be buying the DVD when it comes out...with this and The Constant Gardener, thrilers seem to becoming good again.
  44. Aug 27, 2014
    A fascinating look at how different worlds collide. Nicole Kidman is daring and bold. The Interpreter is reflective of similar films of this nature; however, uses fresh concepts surrounding the United Nations and rebellion.

1. Thrillers don't get much smarter than The Interpreter.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Coolly absorbing without being pulse-quickening.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Solid, mature and finely acted, but intermittently daft.