6.9

1. Apr 10, 2012
    Just not that interesting of a movie. A lot of stuff you have seen before - it's ex-gang members talking to current gang members about stopping the violence. Most of the time it doesn't work. The times that it DOES work, it seems like it is often on a 'potential offender' that didn't actually have much potential to offend. For example, the one 'success' story they show is a kid named 'Flamo'. Although he seems quite upset and ready to go shooting when we meet him, you have to remember that this is a kid that voluntarily called CeaseFire (the intervention agency) by his own free will, then suggests that they go for dinner together. Although he is clearly an unsavory character, I don't think he actually had murder in his heart. The concept is interesting, I just don't now if I believe that the Interrupters are that successful. Although I suppose even one life is enough to make it worth while. Nonetheless, it didn't make for an interesting two hour movie unfortunately. Expand
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    A difficult movie to sit through for a middle class person from the suburbs, whatever your race. No question that reducing violence in our cities is an important issue, but it can be tough to relate to people who might kill each other over a $5 debt. Much respect goes out to those people who work daily on the thankless task of reducing this violence.

Redemption, not crime, is the real theme here, for this handful of courageous men and women who have rescued their own lives, and just possibly may help save the blighted neighbourhoods in which they labour.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 29, 2011
    Filmmaker Steve James is apparently incapable of making an uninteresting documentary, even when his subject matter might presumably be thoroughly played out.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Merry
    Sep 16, 2011
    The gritty film is realistically inspiring and, thankfully, not overly dramatized. While the interrupters succeed on many levels, a pervasive sadness remains.