6.9

1. Dec 14, 2012
    A difficult movie to sit through for a middle class person from the suburbs, whatever your race. No question that reducing violence in our cities is an important issue, but it can be tough to relate to people who might kill each other over a $5 debt. Much respect goes out to those people who work daily on the thankless task of reducing this violence.
  2. Aug 30, 2012
    It's interesting and all but this isn't a movie, it's a documentary, and I don't know why it got such high reviews. Anyway, if you would like a direct and clear view of the crime and life of the average ghetto black in chicago, this movie is perfect. It was very interesting. Just not really a movie, with no creativity, no brilliant arrangements, just random excerpts of blacks and information presented randomly. Good content just not well done. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2012
    This is a documentary, so It will get boring. It is not made to entertain you, but instead provide a insightful look at the jobs of good people saving lives. The filming crew keeps the camera rolling on " the interrupters" daily lives in Chicago, and show a different city than the one we want to see. This is a good film, much so that it is only from a handful of documentaries I've seen.
  4. Apr 10, 2012
    Just not that interesting of a movie. A lot of stuff you have seen before - it's ex-gang members talking to current gang members about stopping the violence. Most of the time it doesn't work. The times that it DOES work, it seems like it is often on a 'potential offender' that didn't actually have much potential to offend. For example, the one 'success' story they show is a kid named 'Flamo'. Although he seems quite upset and ready to go shooting when we meet him, you have to remember that this is a kid that voluntarily called CeaseFire (the intervention agency) by his own free will, then suggests that they go for dinner together. Although he is clearly an unsavory character, I don't think he actually had murder in his heart. The concept is interesting, I just don't now if I believe that the Interrupters are that successful. Although I suppose even one life is enough to make it worth while. Nonetheless, it didn't make for an interesting two hour movie unfortunately. Expand
  5. Sep 19, 2011
    The Interrupters is frustrating. The three â
  6. Sep 2, 2011
    Other than running just a little long, this is a terrific film. It makes me feel good that there are people like these very courageous and compassionate interrupters who literally put their lives on the line to change the violent behaviors of these young kids. So many vicious circles operating at the same time. The kids need jobs to stay out of violence, but the violence keeps businesses out of their neighborhoods. The kids won't have a chance without better schools, but you won't have operating classrooms while the kids are so troubled no matter how much money you pour into their school systems. If these fights are born of a 5 dollar debt, or some kid looking at another the wrong way, we don't have a chance. It's the "converted" - those who have lived that life and have established reputations for crime, experienced institutionalization, and then redemption - that can make the difference, and it just makes me feel good, again, that they're now fighting the "good" fight. Collapse

Redemption, not crime, is the real theme here, for this handful of courageous men and women who have rescued their own lives, and just possibly may help save the blighted neighbourhoods in which they labour.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 29, 2011
    Filmmaker Steve James is apparently incapable of making an uninteresting documentary, even when his subject matter might presumably be thoroughly played out.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Merry
    Sep 16, 2011
    The gritty film is realistically inspiring and, thankfully, not overly dramatized. While the interrupters succeed on many levels, a pervasive sadness remains.