The Invisible Woman

7.3

1. Jan 10, 2014
    I'll give this a 7 for now, and I think that I will need to see this a second time.
    But at the least, it's a movie that bears watching twice. I do like Finnes as a director so far. [He also did Coriolanus]. I'm not sure I know what the movie's after, but I know I'd like to see it go after it again, as it's quite well made.
  2. Apr 22, 2014
    This is a classic. Great story, intriguing film in conclusion with great performances by it's talented cast. Specifically Ralph Fiennes as always leaves a striking performance. Must watch for all of whom have interest in the drama/biopic genres of film. Looking forward to purchase it in blu-ray format.
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    A jewel: the 19th century and Charles Dickens come alive in this jewel directed and starring Ralph Fiennes. The heavily garbed women, great sweeps of countryside, and living in little houses "in town," and even the poor and "fallen women" on the streets of London come to life. Charles Dickens too: a entertaining man in real life, not just in his fiction and plays. An interesting plotA jewel: the 19th century and Charles Dickens come alive in this jewel directed and starring Ralph Fiennes. The heavily garbed women, great sweeps of countryside, and living in little houses "in town," and even the poor and "fallen women" on the streets of London come to life. Charles Dickens too: a entertaining man in real life, not just in his fiction and plays. An interesting plot with sympathetic treatment: how could one have an affair in the 19th century, examined from every perspective: from the great man, who also loves his public Dickens is a superstar his best friend, Wilkie Collins, the mystery writer, who doesn't believe in the institution of marriage, the woman Dickens loves, her mother, the great man's wife, the whispering public, a non-judgmental vicar. Dickens seems a man for our own time. No wonder Fiennes wanted to bring him to life. Felicity Jones co-stars, and she brings virginal purity, and passion and ferocity at times to the part. A good acting company as well. The kind of production one expects from the British. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    This is a beautifully shot, wonderfully acted film about a little-known aspect of the life of Charles Dickens.
    Felicity Jones is incandescent, and does a brilliant job of capturing the young woman's equivocal feelings about getting involved with the most famous writer of the time. Ralph Fiennes takes his time to build the connection between the two. He's a sensitive, commanding director, and inhabits the role magnificently. A beautiful movie, under-appreciated in my view.

1. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Feb 4, 2014
    The Invisible Woman is only partly a romance; it’s the tragedy of Nelly’s life that makes itself more powerfully heard.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Feb 3, 2014
    One for lovers of ravishing craft, although the elusive emotional engagement is frustrating.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jan 24, 2014
    There must also be a spark, a sense of life, a compelling reason for being. If a film doesn't have those -- which The Invisible Woman doesn't -- well, it might as well be invisible.