8.8

1. Feb 23, 2012
    This movie was very touching to me, I loved every part of it and would recommend it to anyone who wants to watch it. Some parts even brought tear to my eye but some parts also scared me when I was young. All in all this movie brings a classic animation to all movies on the market and its for any age to be honest.
  2. Mar 2, 2013
    The Iron Giant is one of those animations that don't feel like a cartoon. Its characters felt so real it never feels like an animation. The story and animation is pure solid, and the feeling you get from watching this is just heartwarming. This is by far, my favorite animation, and favorite movie in general. You will definitely learn a lot from watching this movie. The Iron Giant showsThe Iron Giant is one of those animations that don't feel like a cartoon. Its characters felt so real it never feels like an animation. The story and animation is pure solid, and the feeling you get from watching this is just heartwarming. This is by far, my favorite animation, and favorite movie in general. You will definitely learn a lot from watching this movie. The Iron Giant shows that perfection can be achieved. Expand
  3. Oct 6, 2010
    This is a timeless movie that really goes out and touches peoples hearts. This is probably one of the best non-Disney animated films ever. This film really is something special that I recommend for the family to watch.
  4. Aug 17, 2010
    This is the best animated movie I've ever seen in my life, I so loved it the first time I watched it! It was so moving, the story was great and the voice over was perfect. Spectacular and unforgettable this movie stands as one of the best animated movies ever.
  5. Aug 17, 2010
    Brad Bird's The Iron Giant mixes adult themes about overencroaching governments and biting political commentary with humor, heart, and a true soul. To say this film is anything less than one of the preeminent animated films of our time is to do it injustice. I do not believe any movie has been able to so deftly weave in a message as powerful as this one with a kid-friendly animated story.Brad Bird's The Iron Giant mixes adult themes about overencroaching governments and biting political commentary with humor, heart, and a true soul. To say this film is anything less than one of the preeminent animated films of our time is to do it injustice. I do not believe any movie has been able to so deftly weave in a message as powerful as this one with a kid-friendly animated story. For a film about a "giant metal man," The Iron Giant is anything but mechanical. This film, interestingly enough, explores topics very relevant to modern American foreign policy, despite its setting in 1958 during the Cold War when tensions were high with the Soviets. The Iron Giant portrays the US as a highly expansionistic, militaristic nation with interventionist tendencies, playing off of the common beliefs about nuclear war at the time. However, it manages to do so subtly enough that it never feels like it is preaching to its audience- while there is a powerful anti-war sentiment towards the end of the film, it doesn't go so far as to insult the military or degrade the nation as movies tackling this issue tend to do. And then, it even works as a sci-fi film, grabbing the attention of the audience from the get-go with an exciting, mysterious opening scene. Sci-fi? Politics? Family values? This movie has got it all. Hogarth (Marienthal), the protagonist, is an eleven-year-old child with a widow for a mother who has no real friends from school, and often entertains himself outdoors as his mother (Aniston) tries to earn a living. At first, the character almost seems annoying due to his mannerisms and chatty personality, but over time, it becomes apparent that he is absolutely a realistic portrayal of a child who has been left to his own devices, but is undeniably kind and gregarious in nature and who is only looking for companionship (and a father). Throughout the film, the audience is given more backstory to who he is and this allows us to empathisize with him, making the climax that much more gripping. The giant also manages to become an endearing character as the movie progresses, with subtle voice acting talent from Vin Diesel himself. I belive it is safe to say that this is the best thing Vin Diesel has ever done. That goes without saying- in fact, picking him to play the giant with a limited vocabulary ironically gave him the opportunity to be the most affecting. The Iron Giant's incredible relationship with Hogarth evolves as a classic story of friendship that is both organic and believable. A brilliant edition to the cast comes from Harry Connick, Jr., who plays the beat generation hipster Dean. His role is the shining star of the film. He could easily have been underplayed or overly clichéd, as his character description would allow for either scenario, but fortunately his dialogue, delivery, and place in the story are so well thought-out that he never has the chance to flounder. Equal parts emotional and hiarious, Dean completes the triangle between Hogarth, the giant, and himself. The last character to finish off the cast is the wonderfully headstrong, slightly crazy and progressively aggressive government agent Kent Mansley (McDonald) whose choices throught the story ultimately lead to the powerful climax. Dislikable in the best way, Mansley represents everything that was bad about the McCarthy/Red Scare era in US history. I keep mentioning the movie's climax, but it's for good reason. At first the conclusion seems contrived, but the brilliance of its execution helps overcome this fact. The last 20 minutes will stick with you for days afterward. Of course, the animation is top-knotch as well. The hand-drawn environments and character movement, as well as voice-to-mouth alignment, make this a visual spectacle that can be referred to as nothing less than art. The sountrack compliments the visuals as well, rounding out the AV experience. In conclusion, I believe that this remains Brad Bird's genre-defining masterwork to date and will remain his best piece unless he somehow outdoes what is essentially perfection. Ratatouille and The Incredibles were fun, but they can't possibly measure up. In fact, I'd say most Pixar films would even find it difficult to compare themselves, mostly because, aside from Up, none deal with adult themes like The Iron Giant. Your biggest competition remains Miyazaki's epic, Spirited Away- and for that, I applaud you, Mr. Bird. You should be honored to be in such impressive company. You've got the Western front covered. Verdict: Movie Win Expand
  6. Oct 28, 2010
    any kid who likes animation should like this. it has heart, comedy, and adventure. the right family movie for kids and adults.
  7. Nov 27, 2010
    A truly great movie about a boy and his giant destructive robot. Also, a great story about friendship and sacrifice. The reason I probably find this a great movie is that I had to watch it more than ten times because of my brother.
  8. Mar 24, 2011
    This is a great movie with much feeling, drama, and action. I loved this movie when i was a young child, and i still do today, the only problem is that they haven't made an iron giant 2!
  9. Jan 26, 2012
    Brad Bird's big-screen directorial debut is a simply magical film. It preserves the central themes of the Ted Hughes novel on which it is based, but makes them far more hard-hitting by transporting the story to the USA in the 1950s. This period of extreme paranoia at the height of the Cold War, with the fear of nuclear attack ever on people's minds is the perfect setting for a story aboutBrad Bird's big-screen directorial debut is a simply magical film. It preserves the central themes of the Ted Hughes novel on which it is based, but makes them far more hard-hitting by transporting the story to the USA in the 1950s. This period of extreme paranoia at the height of the Cold War, with the fear of nuclear attack ever on people's minds is the perfect setting for a story about the darker side of human nature and loss of innocence, and allows for a healthy amount of satirical humour and 1950s sci-fi references. The film is a real visual feast, with flawless animation that seamlessly blends hand-drawn characters and environments with CGI elements. The voice cast are superb, with Eli Marienthal emotionally grounding the story as Hogarth Hughes, the lonely, good-natured and endlessly curious young boy who discovers and befriends the titular giant when he crash lands on Earth. Vin Diesel, though voicing a character of few words, imbues the giant with a childlike innocence, and perfectly conveys the sense of sheer horror as he discovers his own origins. Jennifer Aniston probably gives the performance of her career as Hogarth's exasperated single mother Annie and John Mahoney is the perfect casting choice as the patriotic but highly moral General Rogard. The real cast highlights are Harry Connick Jr.'s beatnik scrapyard owner and wannabe artist Dean, who provides most of the comic relief, and Christopher McDonald's federal agent Kent Mansley, who makes an extremely entertaining antagonist. What really makes The Iron Giant work is the balance it manages to maintain between the comic and the serious. There are loads of great gags it's true, but there's also some extremely dark observations about the Cold War state of mind (then there are the scenes that are both funny and serious at the same time, such as the creepily cheerful instructional video telling school children what to do in the event of a nuclear holocaust). You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by the film's finale, with Hogarth and the giant's relationship so well established, and with the addition of Michael Kamen's beautiful, highly emotive score, be prepared to shed the tears. The film feels equidistant between E.T. and King Kong, but is better than either. To dismiss it as simply a film for children would be moronic. The Iron Giant can speak to everyone, no matter your age or background because Brad Bird is a great storyteller and introduces you to characters you can relate to and actually care about, and the moral of his story is universal. The Iron Giant isn't just a brilliant animated film, it's a brilliant film, end of. Expand
  10. Jul 27, 2011
    I've seen all of Brad Bird's movies, and I've liked all three. But this is his best!!!! I love it so much!!! It focuses on a kid and doesn't make the adults look like morons like The Simpsons does. God knows why anyone would hate this, it's one of the best animated films of all time. How did this fail at the box office domestically? It's awesome! The cold war setting makes it even better.I've seen all of Brad Bird's movies, and I've liked all three. But this is his best!!!! I love it so much!!! It focuses on a kid and doesn't make the adults look like morons like The Simpsons does. God knows why anyone would hate this, it's one of the best animated films of all time. How did this fail at the box office domestically? It's awesome! The cold war setting makes it even better. It's better than Tarzan and The Lion King. Not as good as Toy Story, though, although it comes very, very close. Expand
  11. Aug 30, 2011
    This was an amazing movie. Touching and masterful. I remember watching it when it first came out and thinking it was great but after seeing it again, it's still that way. Instant classic for all ages this is. Brad bird really did a spectacular job with this one. This movie not only had an awesome story line but had a great message. It was that anyone can be a hero, but also anyone can be aThis was an amazing movie. Touching and masterful. I remember watching it when it first came out and thinking it was great but after seeing it again, it's still that way. Instant classic for all ages this is. Brad bird really did a spectacular job with this one. This movie not only had an awesome story line but had a great message. It was that anyone can be a hero, but also anyone can be a villain it's your choice. It wasn't about a kid who finds a giant robot, it was about friendship and what you'd do for a friend. It's an amazing tear jerker and I highly recommend it. Expand
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    This movie is a classic. Simple yet complex, joyful yet saddening, exciting yet thoughtful, the Iron Giant weaves in real-life issues into it's plot in a way that's childish yet deep at the same time. The animation throughout the film is superb, and voice acting by Vin Diesel, Jennifer Aniston, and Harry Connick Jr add immensely to the story. Watch it.
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    The films got an amazing story, amazing animation for the time period and has some truly amazing voice acting. I love this film and recommend everybody to watch it, its just great family fun, 10/10, why isn't their a squeal, why you may ask is because it would be pretty goddamn dark, if i say anymore it will be spoilers
  14. Aug 19, 2012
    Just an excellent movie all around. Wonderful storyline and beautifully crafted cinematic scenes. Perfect family film. Loved this movie ever since I first saw it nearly 10 years ago. I still love it to this day.
  15. Jan 13, 2013
    The Iron Giant is a timeless masterpiece, a virtuoso animation experience with a heartfelt and powerful story of non-violence and the power of love and friendship.
  16. Mar 21, 2014
    Overview
    +Great story that is surprising, entertaining and slightly unpredictable
    +Excellent voice acting giving depth to the characters +The sound effect fit right into the film, no sound seems particularly out of place. +The chemistry between all the characters feels right -Are a few plot holes here and there, but won’t mention any cause doing so may reveal the ending -Compared to
    Overview
    +Great story that is surprising, entertaining and slightly unpredictable
    +Excellent voice acting giving depth to the characters
    +The chemistry between all the characters feels right
    -Compared to recent offerings from Pixar, this film does look a little dated, but them again that is to be expected on a film that was released for 1999
    -Some of the characters feel a little under-developed

Therefore I would highly reckon this film, as it is a great watch. It is such a shame though how the film as a whole was a finical failure, but don’t let that put you off.

Full Review
    The main features about the Iron Giant that makes it stand above the crowd are the story and characters. At first it seems a very stereotypical children’s film, with the main character (Hogarth) being the unfortunate, bullied, kid at school who them befriends an iron giant. Furthermore the similarity to E.T is unavoidable, and it could be argued the iron giant is a less emotional version of E.T, as the story for the most part is basically about the relationship between a boy and an unknown creature, while the government try to find the creature. However when the film introduces the villain (Kent) who is sent to investigate certain incidents within the town, the story picks up as Kent becomes more determined to find the giant, and Hogarth must hide him, leading to a game of cat and mouse occurring. Furthermore unlike typical children’s films, where the villain is so obviously evil and a bit dull, here Kent’s position is sort of understandable, as his determination to gain recognition, and his fear of the unknown drive him on, while he is restricted by governmental powers. The combination of believing motivates and restricts on his power, make Kent an excellent villain. Likewise while Hogarth can be boring and stereotypical at first, this changes when he begins his interaction with the Iron Giant, because the relationship between the two is excellently portrayed, as Hogarth tries to restrain the Giant’s power, while at the same time trying to have fun with his own Iron Giant. For me this makes the relationship between the two far more plausible than the relationship between Eliot and E.T, in E.T. Likewise Hogarth nature of being a little bit rebellious while not being a really annoying character, as his maturity further help to place the film higher than its competition.

The story and characters are made less stereotypical, with the introduction of difficult issues, such as fear of the unknown, teaching something wrong from right in a contemporary setting etc. However these questions are balanced with elements of heart-warming comedy, whether it is the childish nature of the Giant, the creative imagination of Hogarth etc. help to soften out the moral elements of the film. It certainly makes a nice change from the countless children films that focus only on love/romance. Such features help to make the Iron Giant a breath of fresh air.

The excellent story and character portrayal are all enhanced by the excellent voice acting. In particular credit has to go to Christopher McDonald voicing Kent who really provides a nice balance of normality, crazy levels of determination, frustration, and a consistent level of evil. Likewise Vin Diesel voicing the Iron Giant works fantastically well, because his deep voice combined with the lack of spoken dialogue gives the Giant lots of depth. For me the overall sound of the movie was great as there was a minimalist sound track with hardly any songs, but everything, from the water effects, to the explosions, fit right in to the overall effect and feel of this outstanding movie.

The only major drawback to the film, decides the things you would expect (dated looks, and plot holes); is the lack of the development of the sub-characters. While lack of development does not affect Dean I particular, the characters that feel under-developed are the General and Hogarth’s mum Annie. Now while the general is not in the film for a long period of time, so his under-development is understandable, the fact that within the film he holds the power of Kent means that by him being barely featured, when he does exercise his power it is not as impactful as it should be. The same sense of under-development affects Annie, who despite being a key character seems a bit unaware of what is going on, and like the General, despite playing a key role as Hogarth’s mum, is not featured enough.

However, I would still recommend this film to anyone because it is charming and a lot of fun, despite its short comings. A must see.
  17. May 2, 2014
    This movie is fantastic. So many wonderful and important lessons in this movie and handled so impressively. Its also not often we see an animated film set during the cold war. Its so good, iit deserved so much more when it was released
  18. Oct 31, 2014
    “The Iron Giant" directed by Brad Bird, is based upon the 1968 novel,'Iron Man,' by the British poet Ted Hughes. The film is about a giant metal machine that drops from the sky and frightens a small town in Maine in 1958, only to find a twelve year old friend named, Hogarth, that ultimately helps him finds its humanity and saving the towns people from their own fears and prejudices.
    This
    This original childhood film has a simple, but more than satisfying plot line that is fun and intriguing for children and adults leaving an emotional attachment to this giant metal man while bringing you light to a particular moral or ethic. Its beginning starts as any other science fictional movie with this seems to be crater falling from space and landing into a random location on earth where just so happens to be a civilized area to saying their goodbyes and leaving the planet, but not the same ordinary goodbyes as you would think. Its composition was beautifully executed throughout the movie in a comprehensive manner that still upholds the story. By that I mean the order of the scenes of the film were well done and each one needed, in order for the movie to be shown in a understanding way to children and adults. The film has an excellent cast that voice-over the personalities to give these 50's animated characters more of a realistic understanding how and why they react and contributed given their time period at which the events occurred much like Disney Pixar's animated film, “Wall-E” given that film didn't have many voices, but could still deeply feel the emotion within the characters. This great film portray events as they are in real-word settings. The actions and interactions were to be believable, plausible, and at least somewhat relatable to both child and adult.
  19. Sep 28, 2010
    "The Iron Giant" is a soft-hearted and whimsical take on period movies (I've rarely seen a better take on Communist-era America) that is an absolute joy to behold. The combination of great animation and satirical dialogue makes every character memorable and fun and the finale is as gripping as animated films come.
  20. Feb 25, 2015
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. A tear-jerking movie until the very end. It is a must see if you haven't seen it. No matter what your age is you will love this movie.
  21. Mar 11, 2015
    The Iron Giant is really a great film. You know those films that have a boy and his dog (Lassie). a boy and his whale (Free Willie), a boy and his alien (E.T.), and a boy and his Gamera (Gamera the Brave)? This film decided to do a boy and his giant robot in a nutshell. The story is great, the characters are great, and I love what the Iron Giant was revealed to be at the end. It's justThe Iron Giant is really a great film. You know those films that have a boy and his dog (Lassie). a boy and his whale (Free Willie), a boy and his alien (E.T.), and a boy and his Gamera (Gamera the Brave)? This film decided to do a boy and his giant robot in a nutshell. The story is great, the characters are great, and I love what the Iron Giant was revealed to be at the end. It's just awesome! If you haven't seen this movie, then I suggest you do so. Expand

One of the best films of the year thus far.
  2. More intelligent and thought-provoking than the usual dumb and dull-witted fare for children.
  3. Still, the movie -- as beautifully drawn, as sleek and engaging as it is -- has the annoyance of incredible smugness.