The Island

7.7

1. Jan 29, 2015
    Obra-Prima de Michael Bay o gênio mais subestimado da história do cinema!!!! pelos críticos e pelo público imbecil!!!! Vale mencionar que são os americanos imbecis!!!!!!. Agora deixar eu respirar um pouco,The Island é um dos melhores filmes de ficção científica de ação de todos os tempos!!!,Com atuações impecáveis de Scarlett Johansson,Ewan McGregor,Sean Bean,Steve Buscemi,Michael ClarkeObra-Prima de Michael Bay o gênio mais subestimado da história do cinema!!!! pelos críticos e pelo público imbecil!!!! Vale mencionar que são os americanos imbecis!!!!!!. Agora deixar eu respirar um pouco,The Island é um dos melhores filmes de ficção científica de ação de todos os tempos!!!,Com atuações impecáveis de Scarlett Johansson,Ewan McGregor,Sean Bean,Steve Buscemi,Michael Clarke Duncan e Djimon Hounsou com cenas de ação impressionantes,além disso no final se mostra um filme bem emocionante. Expand
  2. VinnyV
    Jun 29, 2009
    Amazing Movie, It has action, love, humor, and conspiracy all mixed into one. Definitely a good one.
  3. PaulD.
    Oct 17, 2005
    Awesome movie...nuff said.
  4. BruceR.
    Aug 20, 2005
    I've been disappointed by many futuristic movies, but really enjoyed this one. I found it believable, and enjoyed the corporate bashing, which I thought was ironically underscored by the very large Cadillac presense.
  5. wafia.
    Jan 5, 2006
    It was a great movie, with a creative Idea about cloning , beside my special love to scarlet!!!
  6. AndyM
    Jul 22, 2005
    Saw a midnight showing, LOVED IT. Michael Bay is restrained and as a result the action is secondary to the story. When the action takes place it is fast, kinetic, and the most intense of the summer. When the drama takes place, instead of riding it off as mere time to fill, Bay takes care in telling the story. Highly recommended, don't listen to reviews by people who clearly had their Saw a midnight showing, LOVED IT. Michael Bay is restrained and as a result the action is secondary to the story. When the action takes place it is fast, kinetic, and the most intense of the summer. When the drama takes place, instead of riding it off as mere time to fill, Bay takes care in telling the story. Highly recommended, don't listen to reviews by people who clearly had their minds made up before they saw the film. Expand
  7. Oct 18, 2014
    Actually I liked the first part of the movie better, it was more moody, and the second one was traditional Michael Bay's pew-pew bang-bang action with "sentiments". Still, an okay-ish sci-fi movie overall.
  8. Jan 23, 2013
    One of the best science fiction movies I've seen in my life. Good performances and a spectacular argument.
  9. Sep 12, 2014
    The movie starts mysterious, naivë, and when it comes to Lincoln Echo Six: curious. The people living safe from "contamination" are happy and satisfied, and do not question their lives. After all, they are being kept safe from the poisonous world outside, and someone who's lucky might win the lottery and get to The Island - a last surviving location outside their home. To them, it isThe movie starts mysterious, naivë, and when it comes to Lincoln Echo Six: curious. The people living safe from "contamination" are happy and satisfied, and do not question their lives. After all, they are being kept safe from the poisonous world outside, and someone who's lucky might win the lottery and get to The Island - a last surviving location outside their home. To them, it is paradise.

This is where the movie begins. Lincoln (well acted by Evan McGregor) pushes the boundaries and in the end finds a small proof that something is not as it seems. Things escalate fast.

In an attempt to save his female friend, they both shake loose from the limited thinking they have been previously pushed into and reach out for freedom they never knew they didn't have.

The movie is full of action and discovery. It looks and sounds absolutely amazing, and the characters are well portrayed and their growth into their full potential can be seen.

The movie delivers its idea just as brilliantly as it is supposed to. Sure, the end is the usual, but at least they didn't ruin it with too much sappiness.

Definitely watch this one!
  10. Jul 5, 2013
    Michael Bay is not a name that is frequently associated with films that are particularly profound. The Island doesn't buck this trend entirely, but does more than enough to cement its place as his most cerebral work to date.

The science fiction aesthetic at work here is by far the easiest with which to suspend disbelief. The environments are futuristic, but not so much so that the world feels alien at any point. There are, however, some issues with consistency in the dates given for when these events are taking place, but the specifics are not where the film's magnetism lies.

The story is centred on a moral dilemma, posing a number of philosophical questions in the process. It also taps into a topical discussion on the implications of growing replacement organs and the kind of scenarios that this might lead to. The breadth of the exploration isn't particularly far-reaching, but is mostly responsible for the more intelligent elements of the film. It gives the rest of the action a weightier feel, preventing this from becoming just another explosive romp completely devoid of a brain. It won't keep you up at night, but the plot is sturdy enough to provoke at least some contemplation as the narrative plays out.

There is a noticeable shift in pace after the initial scene setting has been done, the action set pieces coming thick and fast. Bay tends to split opinion as a film-maker, but there can be no doubt that he is very good indeed at what he does. There are sometimes criticisms levelled that the sequences he brings to the screen are somewhat repetitive across movies (think highway chase scenes with cars being flipped like Matchbox toys and a skyscraper's worth of breaking glass). There may be some credence to this, but for me, it doesn't make it any less breathtaking to experience when the picture is in full flow.

As for the performances, all concerned put in decent displays, with the highlight being Steve Buscemi. His ability to carry a scene is just as potent here as it has ever been, bringing some light relief in the process and pushing the movie forward. The remainder of the supporting cast also throws up some pleasant surprises, the childlike attitude of a few of the characters affording ample opportunity for the actors to have some fun.
  11. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just rewatched The Island yesterday, and it reaffirmed my belief that it's one of Michael Bay's best films. The central message behind the film might be obscured by all the overblown **** crazy action scenes, but I believe it's an important one and I'm glad he got it out there in a mainstream film. It's no Never Let Me Go, but the marriage of action and speculative fiction worked for me. The one issue I have with the film is the black mercenary who turns good at the end. That felt completely ridiculous and unearned. This guy comes into the film and has his men murder McCord, murder a couple of hapless police officers, and he himself mistakenly murders Tom Lincoln. Yet at the end of the film, he has this sudden change of heart, does a complete 180, and gets to walk off smiling into the camera at the end with an "Oh, you feisty clones... you whippersnappers you, go and have some fun, you've earned it!" expression. That was complete **** **** you movie, I'm not gonna applaud this man. If he'd actually shot who he'd intended to, he wouldn't be looking at Lincoln Six Echo kissing Jordan Two Delta at the end there, because Lincoln would be dead. Expand
  12. Sep 24, 2011
    Its always the same thing for Michael Bay; the picture's big, but the result is small. "The Island" is no better.
  13. Jan 27, 2012
    The Island is a well acted but plain action picture, that never seems to get anywhere. Once again, Michael Bay has failed to impress me, although it is good compared to his other films.
  14. CameronS.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Michael Bay finally made a movie that didn't suck.
  15. MarkB.
    Jan 21, 2006
    America's Most Obnoxious Director tries something different with this trite, contrived and unconvincing sci-fi film, and as a result gives us two bad movies for the price of one. The first hour is a futuristic fantasy about a highly structured, repressed society of slaves, drones and worker bees held in check not only because the system they work under is all they've known, but America's Most Obnoxious Director tries something different with this trite, contrived and unconvincing sci-fi film, and as a result gives us two bad movies for the price of one. The first hour is a futuristic fantasy about a highly structured, repressed society of slaves, drones and worker bees held in check not only because the system they work under is all they've known, but also by the promise of winning a daily lottery whose prize is supposedly a permanent retirement on an idyllic island but is in reality...well, a permanent retirement, anyway. This will prove shocking and illuminating only to those who have never seen Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run or any of hundreds of other bad-new-world films; forget that some of the people involved with the obscure B-movie Parts: The Clonus Horror took the moviemakers to court, I saw the whole lottery premise played out on a decade-plus-old rerun of Sliders on DVD not long ago! Lack of originality is, of course, not a mortal sin, but mind-numbing idiocy is: this is the kind of movie that in order to work requires that not one but two major characters stumble across a highly elaborate, sophisticated security system in order to see Things They're Not Supposed To See, else you don't have a movie; the most effective and powerful lesson the film teaches is one that all non-homeschooled sixth graders already know, namely, if you're really nice to the cafeteria lady you get extra treats. Once our heroes (Evan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson) discover the big secret and the chase is underway, director Michael Bay (The Rock, Bad Boys, Bad Boys 2) stops sucking in his gut and reverts to just plain sucking as usual, giving us plenty of everything we love to hate him for once again: loud, irritating noise, an almost gleeful heartlessness toward innocents caught in the crossfire and their property, self-referential humor that isn't funny, promiscuous use of product placement that's truly corrupt both in number and inappropriateness, criminal misuse of Steve Buscemi, and the editorial philosophy of why settle for one shot when 32 will do even better? (As always, Bay cuts his own throat with the latter; a potentially spectacular stunt involving an armored truck doing a 360-degree flip is robbed of all effectiveness because Bay shoots it from several different angles and insists on showing them all to us.) Some people have praised Bay for having te self-discipline to not revert to his most irritating trademark techniques until almost halfway through the movie; to me, this is like praising an infant because he went for an hour WITHOUT soiling his diaper before finally doing so. Acting is mediocre or nonexistent with one exception: Ethan Phillips is actually quite touching as a drone who never wins the lottery and doesn't realize how lucky he is; McGregor gives a performance as dull as his vocal turns in Robots and Valiant while the sublime Johansson (Lost in Translation, Match Point) not only does her first very bad work but is photographed and costumed to look like Tara Reid. That's unforgivable...even by Michael Bay standards! Expand
  16. Aug 27, 2010
    The movie takes a controversial biological/ethical issue and handles it with all the tact and seriousness of a Goosebumps serial. In the end its nothing more than a prolonged futuristic chase scenario with lots of color filtering (did they really have to make the ENTIRE movie look orange and blue?) It's a shame, because there were a lot of talented actors at work here...
  17. Aug 8, 2011
    Before I start the review, let me just say that I'm not a Michael Bay hater (I absolutely love his Transformers movies). However, this movie has to be one of Bay's weakest films. Product placement didn't fit well in the future setting, Ewan McGregor freaks me out when speaking with an American accent, and the ending was kinda weak. Which is unfortunate since the plot did have interesting concepts.
  18. Jun 12, 2011
    I hate to admit that I actually have a Michael Bay guilty pleasure but I do. This movies running time is a little long but this is only because the movie actually takes the time to develop the story and characters. Wait what! character development what's that? It's actually refreshing to see a movie that took the time to make you care about the characters. The acting was also very strong.I hate to admit that I actually have a Michael Bay guilty pleasure but I do. This movies running time is a little long but this is only because the movie actually takes the time to develop the story and characters. Wait what! character development what's that? It's actually refreshing to see a movie that took the time to make you care about the characters. The acting was also very strong. You do have to love Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor was incredible and you never go wrong with Steve Buscemi in anything. The only complaint was that during the action scenes the camera work was kinda crazy. Over all a great flick and well worth the watch. Expand
  19. Jan 4, 2013
    I would say that the first half of the movie is extremely good and well thought out, adding a really nice sci-fi'esque atmosphere. But, then the big plot twist happedns halfway through and it becaomes yet another generic Michael Bay action flick. A real shame. Overall: Had the potential to something unique and great, until it decided to sell out for cheap thrills. The movie is still goodI would say that the first half of the movie is extremely good and well thought out, adding a really nice sci-fi'esque atmosphere. But, then the big plot twist happedns halfway through and it becaomes yet another generic Michael Bay action flick. A real shame. Overall: Had the potential to something unique and great, until it decided to sell out for cheap thrills. The movie is still good and enjoyable, but a disappointment in the end. Expand
  20. Sep 15, 2013
    Great movie! Ewan Mcgregor amazing as always! The movie is an amazing aspect on a conflicting issue the world has been debating. All the bad reviews don't get it and think its only a movie about running, when truly it is more than that. It's funny, curious, and entertaining!!
  21. Jul 29, 2014
    This film wants to make some strong points, but wastes most of its time on action sequences and uninspired dialogues. McGregor and Johansson are quite promising, but do not actually deliver. Except for great-looking visuals, "The Island" overall just scares away its potential.
  22. Sidiot
    Aug 3, 2005
    Minor plot holes? How about the entire movie which was stolen from every other sci fi movie that came before it? Completely farsical with insane writing and acting. Oh I forgot, it had what you morons like? Lots of car chases, with big explosions. Where were the cops? Oops! Too stupid for words.
  23. WayneK.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Not even believable. One giant commercial for everything on retreaded science fiction movies. Horrible.
  24. LingX.
    Jul 22, 2005
    It was bad for the first part then it becomes worse when things started to blow up. it could have been better if it was bad boys 3. and too much sponsors made the film kinda funny.
  25. David
    Jul 23, 2005
    Come one. Come all for your free lobotomy to this spaghetti western sci fi flop that has no original ideas and has stolen everything from other movies we have seen. It is so bad that even when the stupidy should end, they go on for another 30 minutes in a shameless ridiculous premise. I think I want to puke. Avoid like the plague.
  26. SteveB
    Jul 31, 2005
    What could have been really good sci fi was ruined by two blaring plot holes and obnoxious full screen product placements. I really really wanted to give it a chance, but sprained my eyballs from rolling them back into my head too much.
  27. jims
    Aug 3, 2005
    Yes, this movie is not great; but it is entertaining. Don't pay too much attention to the bad reviews. It is an entertaining film with a storyline that is apt for some current issues we are facing; and it has some decent action scenes, although some travel well into the category of ridiculously unrealistic.
  28. DanaM.
    Aug 8, 2005
    Entertaining. Good summer fair. Go see it and leave your Oscar-review hat at home.
  29. JayE.
    Jan 10, 2008
    The film is like a watered down of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Watered down int the sense that it borrows many of scenarios of the Huxley's book but avoids the deeper political, social, educational, philosophical, class division themes that Huxley uses so skillfully - replacing them with a pretty shallow narrative of the sanctity of human life and the corruption of those The film is like a watered down of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Watered down int the sense that it borrows many of scenarios of the Huxley's book but avoids the deeper political, social, educational, philosophical, class division themes that Huxley uses so skillfully - replacing them with a pretty shallow narrative of the sanctity of human life and the corruption of those who would exploit it. The villains of Huxley's novel are far more complex. They are not motivated by petty greed but by a philosophical conviction in the appropriateness of their actions. This makes their actions and the world they create all the more macabre and compelling. As entertainment not so bad a movie. But I was just left feeling - wow wouldn't it be great if Huxley's novels were reproduced properly and not just squeezed in to the Hollywood formula. Entertainment does not have to be mindless. Deep social commentary does not have to be boring. Expand
  30. TaylorB
    Jan 4, 2010
    Excellent movie, lots of action, keeps you rooting for a side. You watch it and find out.
  31. chip
    Dec 6, 2005
    Entertaining - not at all as bad as the reviews make it seem. i think it is more akin to logan's run than matrix or blade runner. (i guess all sci-fi fils are going to be compared to blade runner and the matrix).
  32. ZachRH
    Jul 17, 2005
    "The Island" is simply a great film. It has an engaging story, wonerful characters, great acting by the two leads, beautiful cinematography, the perfect blend of action and drama, and wonderful special effects. The story may not be completely original, but the execution of the plot is wonderful. The film is endlessly captivating, and even quite humorous throughout. Imaginitive and "The Island" is simply a great film. It has an engaging story, wonerful characters, great acting by the two leads, beautiful cinematography, the perfect blend of action and drama, and wonderful special effects. The story may not be completely original, but the execution of the plot is wonderful. The film is endlessly captivating, and even quite humorous throughout. Imaginitive and entertaining, "The Island" is for me the best movie of 2005 so far. Expand
  33. Fantasy
    Jul 18, 2005
    Saw this in a sneak preview last weekend. Typical clone movie where the clones decide that they do not want to be replacement parts and want to live. Predictable and okay until it continues after the climax for another 30 minutes. It drags and loses all believablity as it turns into a shoot em up type western sci fi thriller. Forgotten ten minutes after you leave the theater. Another Saw this in a sneak preview last weekend. Typical clone movie where the clones decide that they do not want to be replacement parts and want to live. Predictable and okay until it continues after the climax for another 30 minutes. It drags and loses all believablity as it turns into a shoot em up type western sci fi thriller. Forgotten ten minutes after you leave the theater. Another overhyped sci fi disaster of a movie, but a litte better than the awful War Of The Morons. Expand
  34. CarolAnn
    Jul 19, 2005
    Very timely and interesting premise. Not enough intelligent dialog and too many computer generated special effects. Too Long.
  35. BobH.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Anyone who can't see through this fluff marketing campaign needs a lobotomy. Saw this in preview and it was awful. They took a few other idea's from other sci-fi movies and put them all in here. About an hour and a half too long. Predictable and eventually boring as you start looking at your watch. How many car chases and crash scenes can the public handle. Good doctor turns Anyone who can't see through this fluff marketing campaign needs a lobotomy. Saw this in preview and it was awful. They took a few other idea's from other sci-fi movies and put them all in here. About an hour and a half too long. Predictable and eventually boring as you start looking at your watch. How many car chases and crash scenes can the public handle. Good doctor turns into the evil monster. Spare me and the rest of the public. Expand
  36. DanielD.
    Jul 23, 2005
    Good. amaizing. interesting and not previsible.
  37. TylerC
    Jul 24, 2005
    Will Michael Bay ever make a good movie? Bad Boys, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, and now this terrible movie. Three strikes and a person is supposed to be out, I guess here he reached on an error.
  38. HFish
    Jul 24, 2005
    Better than expected; although it was more violent than I imagined (ultimately that worked to keep the pace and plot up), it was exciting and unpredictable, had effective special effects that weren't too much, and added up to pretty good science fiction moviemaking. And taking on the issue of cloning, too. I was surprised: this is Michael Bay, here, the filmmaker made fun of in "Team Better than expected; although it was more violent than I imagined (ultimately that worked to keep the pace and plot up), it was exciting and unpredictable, had effective special effects that weren't too much, and added up to pretty good science fiction moviemaking. And taking on the issue of cloning, too. I was surprised: this is Michael Bay, here, the filmmaker made fun of in "Team America". Expand
  39. Iggy
    Jul 26, 2005
    One for the blonde. Nice to look at but no material to work with in this clone of all sci fi movies. Keep away unless you had a lobotomy.
  40. JennM.
    Jul 28, 2005
    I have no idea why people are rating this movie so low. It is literally one of the best movies I have ever seen. It created high emotions and gave you a heart wrenching sensation. You became attached the the characters and the story was AMAZINGLY written. The acting was superb as well. I still can't get over that movie, it's number 1 in my book! The movie is also thought I have no idea why people are rating this movie so low. It is literally one of the best movies I have ever seen. It created high emotions and gave you a heart wrenching sensation. You became attached the the characters and the story was AMAZINGLY written. The acting was superb as well. I still can't get over that movie, it's number 1 in my book! The movie is also thought provoking and perhaps is too much for some people.... Expand
  41. BobS
    Aug 1, 2005
    OK - so maybe there are a few lifted ideas here - but what movie doesn't do that? This is a summer popcorn movie to be sure - if you try and add any morality or look for some here - you will be disappointed. Sure Bay weaves in the neat little message about the future of cloning - but if if it is morality that you want; go read "Never Let Me Go" (check your local library). If you are OK - so maybe there are a few lifted ideas here - but what movie doesn't do that? This is a summer popcorn movie to be sure - if you try and add any morality or look for some here - you will be disappointed. Sure Bay weaves in the neat little message about the future of cloning - but if if it is morality that you want; go read "Never Let Me Go" (check your local library). If you are looking for a full adrenaline, roller-coaster rush - then this is your movie. Bay's knack for chase scenes are really pushed to the limits during a highway chase in which freight train axles are used like dodge balls! One of the best chases since "To Live and Die in LA"! Long and short - don't think...just ENJOY! Expand
  42. RickyQ.
    Aug 2, 2005
    Despite having some minor plot holes, The Island delivers a great experience which should not be missed!
  43. KenL.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Good actions scenes hung on a serviceable plot with a timely twist. The ethical issues may be dumbed down for easy consumption but at least they give you something to think about when the movie is over. No complaints about the acting either. I think this movie was underappreciated.
  44. TheElusivePossom
    Aug 30, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] This film seemed to emerge from thin air, and based on positive hear-say from my friends alone, I decided it would be one worth catching. Before even entering the cinema however, I was given negative feedback concerning the movie by two of its patrons: an elderly woman and a female member of staff with a strong foreign accent I couldn't quite place at the time. Having[***SPOILERS***] This film seemed to emerge from thin air, and based on positive hear-say from my friends alone, I decided it would be one worth catching. Before even entering the cinema however, I was given negative feedback concerning the movie by two of its patrons: an elderly woman and a female member of staff with a strong foreign accent I couldn't quite place at the time. Having seen the film myself, I have concluded that the elderly woman was in way beyond her depth of understanding in terms of a film depicting the future, and the member of staff, who had suggested I "check out Unleashed with Jet Li" instead, was clearly just stupid, because "The Island" is a brilliant film: a perfect blend of gripping plot, epic action and jaw-dropping visual effects. The use of real brands such as MSN and Cadillac worked well to enhance a realistic portrayal of the future world. Other touches were particularly commendable: in the viewing I saw, amongst the adverts preceding the main feature was one advertising a perfume starring Scarlett Johanssen. Imagine my surprise and delight to...(SPOILER) see the very same advert appear on a big screen during a scene in the film, revealing the real Scarlett's occupation as an actress! (END SPOILER). The acting of Ewan McGregor is pleasing (on both accounts ;)) as is the Machiavellian nature of Sean Bean's role. There is comedy here, as well as some moments of real sadness that you can see coming, yet are still moved by. The film, however, is by no means flawless: the loose ends are tied about half-way through, letting only the relentless yet predictable climax remain. Also, I take issue with anyone who is the victim of a side-on collision with a heavy goods vehicle, who then steps out of the car with perfect make-up. All in all, this movie is one of the golden releases this year, and much better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I regret seeing to an unholy level. Expand
  45. Don'tCare
    Aug 5, 2005
    Alright so it wasn't miraculous but it was good summer fun that was well executed. A bit to much product placement for my taste but as a summer movie it's pretty well done. Just eat some popcorn and shut up, you'll be fine. Scarlett Johanssen is also pretty good. Funny, original, entertaining. People, it's entertainment, do all movies have to be oscar worthy to be fun Alright so it wasn't miraculous but it was good summer fun that was well executed. A bit to much product placement for my taste but as a summer movie it's pretty well done. Just eat some popcorn and shut up, you'll be fine. Scarlett Johanssen is also pretty good. Funny, original, entertaining. People, it's entertainment, do all movies have to be oscar worthy to be fun and enjoyable? Michael Bay has made the movie he wanted to make and it's pretty cool. Go check it out. Expand
  46. BobT.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Hollywood não resiste à tentação e acaba sufocando boas idéias com excesso de efeitos, explosões e perseguições em demasia. Pena.
  47. MikeD.
    Aug 7, 2005
    A used, junk-food waste of time and money. There is nothing of value in this movie. But, then again, I've never liked a Bay movie.
  48. Tonydannie
    Aug 7, 2005
    This was an unexpected surprise! The film grabbed me and never let me go. Bay has redeemed himself after the dreadful Bad Boys 2. Making this film my favorite over The Rock. It steals from Logan's Run and THX-1138. And again their were a bit to much of speed chasing. But Bay toned it down a bit with one car chase and an aireal chase. But It is not such a big deal. At least it was not This was an unexpected surprise! The film grabbed me and never let me go. Bay has redeemed himself after the dreadful Bad Boys 2. Making this film my favorite over The Rock. It steals from Logan's Run and THX-1138. And again their were a bit to much of speed chasing. But Bay toned it down a bit with one car chase and an aireal chase. But It is not such a big deal. At least it was not 6 car chases unlike the previous Bay flick (There i go again. Bad Boys 2). I left Satisfied. And you would be too. The film was good fun. Expand
  49. StagePro
    Nov 13, 2006
    I have to say, I also LOVED this movie, but I give it a 9 because hardly ANYTHING I see gets a full 10! lol - When I saw the movie poster and trailer for this flick I thought OH NO, my dear Scarlet sold out to a crap Michael Bay film! NO NO!!! Well, I gave it a chance when it came onto DVD and I was immediately engaged and oh so pleasantly surprised! Like others mentioned here, it grabs I have to say, I also LOVED this movie, but I give it a 9 because hardly ANYTHING I see gets a full 10! lol - When I saw the movie poster and trailer for this flick I thought OH NO, my dear Scarlet sold out to a crap Michael Bay film! NO NO!!! Well, I gave it a chance when it came onto DVD and I was immediately engaged and oh so pleasantly surprised! Like others mentioned here, it grabs hold of you and never let's you go, and I can't stand action thrillers normally. The human subplot is really truly touching and I am even proud to say I cried at the end of this film for like a half an hour! I also had to run out and get the soundtrack!! Boy am I sap eh?? Scarlet and Ewan really make nice chemistry and the acting is truly superb. I really felt as if I caught a glmipse of where are future could go...as a race if we don't watch ourselves with this cloning business. SEE this movie, check it out, it was worth the 2 hours, it really was... HAIL SCARLET! She is so endearing... Expand
  50. TonyB.
    Jan 10, 2006
    One of the more provocative scientific-ethical issues of our time, cloning deserves to be the subject of a good film. "The Island" is not that film. What it is is a loud, clumsy and overly-plotted bore.
  51. AngryMan
    Jan 23, 2006
    What the hell was that?! I'm getting really ****** off with the whole world of film making, as well as with that surprisingly large proportion of people who sincerely believe that stuff like this is of a high standard. I guess it's a sign of the times we're living in. 1 point goes to all those whose combined efforts resulted in me paying to rent this **** and suffer it for What the hell was that?! I'm getting really ****** off with the whole world of film making, as well as with that surprisingly large proportion of people who sincerely believe that stuff like this is of a high standard. I guess it's a sign of the times we're living in. 1 point goes to all those whose combined efforts resulted in me paying to rent this **** and suffer it for 30 minutes before swiching it off in disgust. Expand
  52. TinaW.
    Jan 26, 2006
    I saw this movie in the theater with a couple of friends and we were all absorbed in the intensity of the action. I'm not saying it was some profound piece of art, but it was highly entertaining. Even the large amount of product placing became a fun game of 'who can spot the most'. We were all highly entertained, and got into it and genuinely had fun at the movies. We also I saw this movie in the theater with a couple of friends and we were all absorbed in the intensity of the action. I'm not saying it was some profound piece of art, but it was highly entertaining. Even the large amount of product placing became a fun game of 'who can spot the most'. We were all highly entertained, and got into it and genuinely had fun at the movies. We also now own the dvd because of how fun it was. Expand
  53. SeanD
    Jan 4, 2006
    While slightly over the top, fans of the sci-fi, action-adventure genre will not be disappointed. Non-stop Action from beginning to end which is beautifully shot.
  54. SteveP.
    Feb 8, 2006
    O.K. i don't care what all the "Movie Snobbs" have to say about this film it was great. Who says that a movie has to be boring to have a deep message. This movie thought a little long and laging was extermily entertaining to watch. and the message was very deep, Human life is not a probuct and should not be created for destoryed like one. we can't go around creating humans like O.K. i don't care what all the "Movie Snobbs" have to say about this film it was great. Who says that a movie has to be boring to have a deep message. This movie thought a little long and laging was extermily entertaining to watch. and the message was very deep, Human life is not a probuct and should not be created for destoryed like one. we can't go around creating humans like iPods only to chop them up and seel there livers. if you are pro-cloning then go see this film, i was but this made me re-think that. Expand
  55. DaddyO.
    Jun 30, 2006
    Great film. LOTS of style. One of the best sci-fi's in a while. This film can be split in half; a futuristic sci-fi and then a "Bad Boys"-like action movie. Strange combination. This film would get a 10 if it didn't get carried away with explosions and blowing crap up. For me that spoils it coz you "here we go again, more hollywood CGI". But even if you're not a geek or Great film. LOTS of style. One of the best sci-fi's in a while. This film can be split in half; a futuristic sci-fi and then a "Bad Boys"-like action movie. Strange combination. This film would get a 10 if it didn't get carried away with explosions and blowing crap up. For me that spoils it coz you "here we go again, more hollywood CGI". But even if you're not a geek or into sci-fi, u have to see this film for Scarlett Johansson. Expand
  56. MattF
    Mar 14, 2007
    First off: I saw this movie mainly because of Scarlett Johansson, and partially because the story sounded compelling. In both ways the film didn't disappoint. The main issue I had was that just about everything in the movie, from start to finish, seemed forced; including the acting, the plot, and especially the action. However, it had a nice concept and it entertained pretty well. First off: I saw this movie mainly because of Scarlett Johansson, and partially because the story sounded compelling. In both ways the film didn't disappoint. The main issue I had was that just about everything in the movie, from start to finish, seemed forced; including the acting, the plot, and especially the action. However, it had a nice concept and it entertained pretty well. It's just unfortunate that it's intellectual potential wasn't really met. Expand
  57. Jack
    Oct 14, 2008
    Spectacular. Music was nice also.
  58. RobD
    Sep 27, 2008
    Great futuristic action movie in typical Michael Bay blockbuster style. Good cast!
  59. MarkM
    Jan 25, 2009
    I don't know how these critics come off with their harsh comments, yet they provide no substence with their argument. This was a fantastic movie and the editing and special effects were nicely done.
  60. *confidential
    Jul 9, 2009
    I don't understand what all the critics are complaining about. Good acting, good story, good visuals, good audio.. what else are they looking for?
  61. ArielG
    Dec 1, 2005
    In terms of its visual details and aesthetics it was wonderful, especially in the beginning when they're in the facility. If the book Brave New World was made into a movie, this is how I imagine the environment would look like. The concept and the story was okay, but somehow the movie didn't mesh towards the end. It must've been because of all the car chases and helicopter In terms of its visual details and aesthetics it was wonderful, especially in the beginning when they're in the facility. If the book Brave New World was made into a movie, this is how I imagine the environment would look like. The concept and the story was okay, but somehow the movie didn't mesh towards the end. It must've been because of all the car chases and helicopter chases, where it just became a typical Michael Bay action flick. Felt like I was watching Bad Boys II again. Overall, it's not too bad, but also not too good. I added an extra 2 points to my rating score because of the gorgeous Scarlett Johansen's presence, even though I think her talent was wasted here. I found Ewan McGregor pretty good in his role. Expand
  62. BitBurn
    Dec 23, 2005
    This sci-fi was awesome. Fans of the genre, don't miss it! And Scarlett looks delicious! ;-)
  63. JonathanZ.
    Oct 3, 2005
    Oh, Michael Bay. Beloved director of such cinematic masterpieces as Bad Boys II. Despite that, seeing the previews for his latest romp filled me with no small amount of hope, so I rushed off to see the sneak preview. (I left the theater having enjoyed myself.) Recently, however, I saw the theatrical release with a group of friends, and I found myself with mixed feelings... If you know Oh, Michael Bay. Beloved director of such cinematic masterpieces as Bad Boys II. Despite that, seeing the previews for his latest romp filled me with no small amount of hope, so I rushed off to see the sneak preview. (I left the theater having enjoyed myself.) Recently, however, I saw the theatrical release with a group of friends, and I found myself with mixed feelings... If you know Bay, you know that car chases, gunfire, and things blowing up usually take priority over everything else--including of course, believable characters and an intelligible plot. Which is why I was so shocked to find that the first portion of the film is a well done science fiction parable along the lines of Brave New World. Yes, it does draw heavily (or "rip off," as we like to say in the business) from a ton of other cinematic sources, not the least of which being Logan's Run. For a while, I was blessedly unaware that I was watching a Michael Bay film. Even the score was whimsical and moving, not the generic pulse-pounding shlock that usually goes for a soundtrack in an action movie. Sadly, however, all good things must come to an end, and after about an hour, the film takes a total schizophrenic turn and starts focusing on explosions and loud noises rather than anything remotely approaching intellectual. Certain sequences were included just because Bay thought they'd look cool, I'm sure of it. The requisite "passionate" scene was totally nonsensical, because we'd been told that the main characters had no sense of gender awareness. I'm not saying the first part is perfect, but it trumps the second by a long shot. If you do watch the movie, just be prepared to switch off your higher functions for the latter hour and a half. Expand
  64. JohnB.
    Jul 16, 2005
    This cloning movie is easy to follow and makes you wonder where in the world are we headed - in real life.
  65. PeteD.
    Jul 18, 2005
    Make sure you are ready for a long commercial. I counted about 25 product placements from Mack Trucks to Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Some might say this lends validity to an imagined future, but I just think it detracts from an already weak piece of cinema. To be fair the first 30 minutes were engaging with a rather poignant scene involving Michael Clarke Duncan pleading for his life. Make sure you are ready for a long commercial. I counted about 25 product placements from Mack Trucks to Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Some might say this lends validity to an imagined future, but I just think it detracts from an already weak piece of cinema. To be fair the first 30 minutes were engaging with a rather poignant scene involving Michael Clarke Duncan pleading for his life. The premise could make for a thoughtful look at many interesting issues, most directly cloning. Unfortunately, like his other films, Bay takes an interesting and original foundation and builds upon it using every piece of action movie rebar imaginable. The audience is left with nothing but a series of action movie clichés including the old Expand
  66. LarryW.
    Jul 21, 2005
    Starts slow and then goes insane as it becomes shoot em up end to end predictable fable. The plot has more holes than Carter has little liver pills. Doesn't Hollywood have any idea as to how to make a movie anymore? Disappointing.
  67. JZ
    Jul 21, 2005
    You have seen this all before. And in a shorter version too. Take some elements of Logans Run, a dash of Blade Runner, a tad of Coma and a hint of Matrix and you have The Island. It runs about 20 minutes. I am sure it will be fine as a sunday DVD when you are hung over to watch.
  68. Reggie
    Jul 20, 2005
    Good beginning and then falls off a cliff. Too stupid to discuss.
  69. JamesP.
    Jul 22, 2005
    All movies are stories retold. This telling of the classic sci-fi awareness and escape tale is spun quite well and provides solid entertainment. Humorous moments are mixed with well choreographed action sequences. It does run a bit long, so don't drink a lot before or during the show.
  70. KyleA.
    Jul 22, 2005
    For what it is, its not bad. You cant go into this expecting a great movie. If you ignore the plot holes and the "cloned" story line, it is entertaining. But go to a matinee, its not worth $10, parting with $6 or $7 isnt bad if you want to have a good time.
  71. PaulF.
    Jul 23, 2005
    I have to admit this movie was much better than I expected. The concept was a 10 the acting an 8, the direction the film went a seven, some of the special effects were fantastic like the flying motorcycles and the hoovering train, and the clones in progress. This is one of those movies that could have been great but fell a little flat by the end. You really thought they were going to kick I have to admit this movie was much better than I expected. The concept was a 10 the acting an 8, the direction the film went a seven, some of the special effects were fantastic like the flying motorcycles and the hoovering train, and the clones in progress. This is one of those movies that could have been great but fell a little flat by the end. You really thought they were going to kick ass in the end but you leave the theater thinking they were mostly lucky. Also it smacked heavily of Logans run. Not a bad movie to emulate, but come on people lets not plagiarize. On a tangent Logan's Run that would be a great movie to remake. Overall The Island is worth seeing in the theaters. It also allows one to reflect on some of the very real issues we are facing today with cloning and stem cell research, etc. Our ethics need to catch up with our science before we start playing God too much. Expand
  72. Gettford
    Jul 23, 2005
    I had a great time with this movie. I agree with Ebert that it just works. Scarlett & Ewan are terrific, but it's really Djimon Hounsou who steals the show. His back story caps the plotlne nicely. If you're into sci-fi and want to see a better version of the Minority Report or AI, enjoy this one.
  73. Irky
    Jul 23, 2005
    Pretty good. Real entertaining. Scarlet Johansson is just...grrrrrr. Wow. Anyway, the action is intense and believable. Best piece of advice I've heard about this movie: turn off your brain and just have fun. Very true. Everything flows nicely, and we see justice served. I would recommend a matinee.
  74. HB
    Jul 24, 2005
    Good stuff. Scarlet is tops in this 'Brave New World' meets 'The Rock' sci-fi silly fun film.
  75. JRI
    Jul 24, 2005
    This movie had everything the 'Born identity' and its sequel did, which is action/ great plot/ great acting/ and great direction. Everything is fresh and new in this movie. A bit lengthy but holds your interest in this action packed sci-fi movie. If anything , go to a matinee, its well worth it!!!!!
  76. JamesD
    Jul 24, 2005
    Mindless pap. Insulting to watch, and even more insulting to think that I acctually sat through 2 and a half hours of it. Ewan McGregor was fine, but Scarlett Johanssen, good lord girl, I'm dissapointed. After impressive turns in films like "The Igrl with the Pearl Earring" and "Lost in translation", this is pathetic. She goes from playing intriguing and complex characters to the Mindless pap. Insulting to watch, and even more insulting to think that I acctually sat through 2 and a half hours of it. Ewan McGregor was fine, but Scarlett Johanssen, good lord girl, I'm dissapointed. After impressive turns in films like "The Igrl with the Pearl Earring" and "Lost in translation", this is pathetic. She goes from playing intriguing and complex characters to the standard summer blockbuster dough head blonde. And I have no problems with product placement in films, even if it's obvious - take "Minority Report" - whole lotta ads in there, but they made sense in terms of the world that they exsisted in. But for the love of Pete, can some one tell me why there would be Auqafina etched all over the place, and Xbox inside the clone facility? Where is the sense in that? In summation - one of the worst, if not THE worst film I have ever seen. Expand
  77. RobertL.J.
    Jul 24, 2005
    I am very tired of so many reviewers (both professional and the public) always skewering science fiction or fantasy films by saying that they borrow or steal from other such movies and, in the words of one reviewer, "have nary an original idea". How many of the thousands of the "character-driven" dramas, or comedies, are so completely original, without any elements (premise, plot, I am very tired of so many reviewers (both professional and the public) always skewering science fiction or fantasy films by saying that they borrow or steal from other such movies and, in the words of one reviewer, "have nary an original idea". How many of the thousands of the "character-driven" dramas, or comedies, are so completely original, without any elements (premise, plot, characters, acting styles, settings, endings) that have appeared in other movies the past 50 years? Sure, every great or even good movie comes up with its own unique combination of these elements, but few are truly 100% original. I am NOT saying that "The Island" is a "great" movie. I am saying that science fiction and fantasy films (and also horror and action-thriller films) suffer from this double-standard of comparisons that "character-driven" dramas and comedies are less often subjected to. I like the imagination, even when borrowing from past works, that conceives a dystopian futuristic world. Expand
  78. JustinC.
    Jul 25, 2005
    Very,very,very cool concept, but they could've done a whole lot better with everything else.
  79. MilesN.
    Jul 25, 2005
    Although this movie really isn't very good, it sure is entertaining. The car chases and myriad explosions are gratuitous but satisfying. As is Scarlet Johansson. Sigh. I'm with Daniel D., definitely not previsible.
  80. TheTruth
    Jul 26, 2005
    This mediocre movie is a complete and blatant rip-off of Michael Marshall Smith's novel "Spares". I don't even see how they can get away with such thievery. Anyway, read the book... it is brilliant and much better than the movie. The writers should be ashamed of themselves for such obvious plagirism
  81. RachelL.
    Jul 27, 2005
    Too awful for words.
  82. Marty
    Aug 11, 2005
    I was prepared to hate this movie but it was a well paced, fun action movie with good actors. Granted it was sci-fi but within the genre I really loved it.
  83. MattS.
    Aug 15, 2005
    How can you say this was bad? Ok, it might not have been the most believable or unpredictable storyline, but there was some good acting, good special effects and a good cast.
  84. JohnM
    Aug 15, 2005
    I'm a reprehensible film snob, and NEVER go to "blow-em-up-real-good" action pics -- but after an extraordinarily stressful couple of weeks at work, I needed desparately to numb my brain. As such, this movie works perfectly. Scarlet wields a mean nail gun, and the Dwell magazine-style sets were cool to look at. And if you're able to completely turn off the part of you that is I'm a reprehensible film snob, and NEVER go to "blow-em-up-real-good" action pics -- but after an extraordinarily stressful couple of weeks at work, I needed desparately to numb my brain. As such, this movie works perfectly. Scarlet wields a mean nail gun, and the Dwell magazine-style sets were cool to look at. And if you're able to completely turn off the part of you that is repulsed by hopelessly sexist dialogue ("Don't EVER give a woman your credit card"), then you might find the underlying story to be just intriguing enough. Expand
  85. KelR.
    Aug 19, 2005
    My favorite movie of all time!
  86. Persia
    Aug 2, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie. It made me think about American society aned its effects on our humanity.
  87. vermind.
    Aug 5, 2005
    This film wasn
  88. ExotixS.
    Sep 14, 2005
    Well, like many others remakes, remixes this year The Island is very enjoyable and good demonstration of possible tommorow technology (without FlyTrain Till 2034), but it can suprise you with the latest camera, fx effects, music and attractive stars...what else can you aspect from remake? This movie is more realistic then deep scfi Matrix XXXRunner... 50% for the story and 50% for good Well, like many others remakes, remixes this year The Island is very enjoyable and good demonstration of possible tommorow technology (without FlyTrain Till 2034), but it can suprise you with the latest camera, fx effects, music and attractive stars...what else can you aspect from remake? This movie is more realistic then deep scfi Matrix XXXRunner... 50% for the story and 50% for good demonstration of near future. Expand
  89. CriticsR.
    Sep 9, 2005
    Entertaining. Doesn't all make sense of course, but it was fun to watch.
  90. BubbaFish
    Jan 12, 2006
    Not since BAD BOYS has Michael Bay made such a creative piece of work. A thrilling ride!!!
  91. GaborA.
    Jan 18, 2006
    Definitly not one of the worst movies of all time, perhaps the year, but undoubtadly one of dumbest. Simply too stupid for words to describe.
  92. TimN.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Great movie, starts quick and doesn't let you down til the very end credits. It seems the critics didn't care for this movie, but check it out, you will not be disappointed. I would say this is the best sci-fi thriller since the Matrix. See it today!
  93. NateH.
    Feb 13, 2007
    It is one of those movies that I wasn't sure I liked, and I was fairly sure was not quite good, but nevertheless remained in my mind for days afterward. Worth a rent.
  94. MilaM.
    Mar 27, 2007
    One movie shows the struggle between two people and their search for more knowledge. Reality is, the people really aren
  95. ShawnS.
    Mar 18, 2008
    The very definition of a thundering bore. Briefly, there's a chase sequence that never engages us because it substitutes any real sense of hide-and-seek, or imminent discovery, for shots of people running, helicopters whirring, voices shouting... all editing, no intelligence. But here's how bad the movie is: it wastes a luminous Scarlett Johansson with a mannequin script. The very definition of a thundering bore. Briefly, there's a chase sequence that never engages us because it substitutes any real sense of hide-and-seek, or imminent discovery, for shots of people running, helicopters whirring, voices shouting... all editing, no intelligence. But here's how bad the movie is: it wastes a luminous Scarlett Johansson with a mannequin script. THAT's the real crime here. Expand
  96. WillD
    Apr 21, 2008
    A good Sci-Fi yarn that entertains both with the early imagery and themes of totalitarian oppression & human curiosity in the face of corporate propaganda and the later action sequences in a futuristic environment. Scarlett Johansson is irresistible as doe eyed Jordan 2 Delta & Ewan McGregor equally likable as curious but naive Lincoln 6 Echo. The ending is perhaps a little two Hollywood A good Sci-Fi yarn that entertains both with the early imagery and themes of totalitarian oppression & human curiosity in the face of corporate propaganda and the later action sequences in a futuristic environment. Scarlett Johansson is irresistible as doe eyed Jordan 2 Delta & Ewan McGregor equally likable as curious but naive Lincoln 6 Echo. The ending is perhaps a little two Hollywood for some (those who enjoyed the end of Orwells 1984) but this is after all mass entertainment & not everyone likes to leave the cinema with fuel for deep introspection. Expand
  97. Oenmeteenk
    Nov 26, 2005
    Starts of interesting, but then falls deep in a mindless and plotless action flick, with a really cheesy ending. Too bad.
  98. KD
    Dec 13, 2005
    Starts off slow, in an interesting way. then explodes off the screen with near non-stop action.
  99. gabec.
    Dec 19, 2005
    Really good movie. I don't completely understand why this didn't do better in the box-office (I rented it). Good Sci-Fi, Action movie. Good acting, great sets, interesting topic, original action. I can only think that the movie went too long and didn't resemble anything in the trailers that I saw. I hate when trailers sell the movie incorrectly. I really liked this movie. Really good movie. I don't completely understand why this didn't do better in the box-office (I rented it). Good Sci-Fi, Action movie. Good acting, great sets, interesting topic, original action. I can only think that the movie went too long and didn't resemble anything in the trailers that I saw. I hate when trailers sell the movie incorrectly. I really liked this movie. Definitely not a sci-fi in the same league as Matrix/BladeRunner. It is sci-fi-lite... mostly an action movie with sci-fi aspects and plot. Expand
  100. AndyT
    Dec 23, 2005
    A familiar life is not what you think it is plot that turns your mind upside down but you'll forget about the next day. Some good action. Plot moves a little slow. almost bored me with the is it going to end yet?...Not terrible but not worth anything more than a rent.

1. Starts off an aggressively derivative sci-fi thriller, then morphs into an above-average chase melodrama.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Frenetic actioner about refugees from a genetic cloning plant starts off intriguingly, burns up its ideas in the first hour and pads out the rest with joltingly repetitive action sequences.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    For all the menace of its techno-prattle, its implicit boosts for humanism and its swell production design, the picture is finally a bore. Sci-fi was more powerful when its special effects were cheap and crude, its ideas simple but potently stated.