DreamWorks Distribution | Release Date: July 22, 2005
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 577 Ratings
WATCH NOW
oxanaSep 12, 2014
The movie starts mysterious, naivë, and when it comes to Lincoln Echo Six: curious. The people living safe from "contamination" are happy and satisfied, and do not question their lives. After all, they are being kept safe from the poisonousThe movie starts mysterious, naivë, and when it comes to Lincoln Echo Six: curious. The people living safe from "contamination" are happy and satisfied, and do not question their lives. After all, they are being kept safe from the poisonous world outside, and someone who's lucky might win the lottery and get to The Island - a last surviving location outside their home. To them, it is paradise.

This is where the movie begins. Lincoln (well acted by Evan McGregor) pushes the boundaries and in the end finds a small proof that something is not as it seems. Things escalate fast.

In an attempt to save his female friend, they both shake loose from the limited thinking they have been previously pushed into and reach out for freedom they never knew they didn't have.

The movie is full of action and discovery. It looks and sounds absolutely amazing, and the characters are well portrayed and their growth into their full potential can be seen.

The movie delivers its idea just as brilliantly as it is supposed to. Sure, the end is the usual, but at least they didn't ruin it with too much sappiness.

Definitely watch this one!
RikiegeJan 23, 2013
One of the best science fiction movies I've seen in my life. Good performances and a spectacular argument.
StaticSpineOct 18, 2014
Actually I liked the first part of the movie better, it was more moody, and the second one was traditional Michael Bay's pew-pew bang-bang action with "sentiments". Still, an okay-ish sci-fi movie overall.
LoRevisorJan 29, 2015
Obra-Prima de Michael Bay o gênio mais subestimado da história do cinema!!!! pelos críticos e pelo público imbecil!!!! Vale mencionar que são os americanos imbecis!!!!!!. Agora deixar eu respirar um pouco,The Island é um dos melhores filmesObra-Prima de Michael Bay o gênio mais subestimado da história do cinema!!!! pelos críticos e pelo público imbecil!!!! Vale mencionar que são os americanos imbecis!!!!!!. Agora deixar eu respirar um pouco,The Island é um dos melhores filmes de ficção científica de ação de todos os tempos!!!,Com atuações impecáveis de Scarlett Johansson,Ewan McGregor,Sean Bean,Steve Buscemi,Michael Clarke Duncan e Djimon Hounsou com cenas de ação impressionantes,além disso no final se mostra um filme bem emocionante. Expand
RickyReviewsMar 26, 2016
I really enjoyed this film. Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson were both great, as was Steve Buscemi. Truly a new favorite. It has a bit of sci fi, romance, and humor built into it. A must see!
David_HJul 12, 2015
I believe this is the first 10 i've given a movie. i liked it enough to purchase a DVD copy of it. Bay is known for his action and he certainly delivers here. This is a very unique plot line that has not been explored before. ScarlettI believe this is the first 10 i've given a movie. i liked it enough to purchase a DVD copy of it. Bay is known for his action and he certainly delivers here. This is a very unique plot line that has not been explored before. Scarlett Johansson is the most beautiful i've ever seen her in a film, Sean Bean is as intense and excellent as ever. Keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout, definitely in my top 10 of all time. Expand
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just rewatched The Island yesterday, and it reaffirmed my belief that it's one of Michael Bay's best films. The central message behind the film might be obscured by all the overblown **** crazy action scenes, but I believe it's an important one and I'm glad he got it out there in a mainstream film. It's no Never Let Me Go, but the marriage of action and speculative fiction worked for me. The one issue I have with the film is the black mercenary who turns good at the end. That felt completely ridiculous and unearned. This guy comes into the film and has his men murder McCord, murder a couple of hapless police officers, and he himself mistakenly murders Tom Lincoln. Yet at the end of the film, he has this sudden change of heart, does a complete 180, and gets to walk off smiling into the camera at the end with an "Oh, you feisty clones... you whippersnappers you, go and have some fun, you've earned it!" expression. That was complete **** **** you movie, I'm not gonna applaud this man. If he'd actually shot who he'd intended to, he wouldn't be looking at Lincoln Six Echo kissing Jordan Two Delta at the end there, because Lincoln would be dead. Expand
FlickFreaks83Dec 11, 2015
If there are lots of flashes and bangs, and smoke and fire, either your car has just rear-ended a Pinto or Michael Bay has made a new movie. Sometimes, both are disasters. In the case of The Island, there's enough fun to be had that it'sIf there are lots of flashes and bangs, and smoke and fire, either your car has just rear-ended a Pinto or Michael Bay has made a new movie. Sometimes, both are disasters. In the case of The Island, there's enough fun to be had that it's almost possible to ignore the stupidity of the story and the cavity that replaces character development. This is a non-interactive video game demo crossed with an amusement park ride. It offers plenty of thrills but nothing else. It looks and sounds good, but satisfies only on the most primal level. For some, this will be enough. Calling The Island a "popcorn, old-fashioned summer movie" is fair, but it's also sad, since it could have been more. But movies that aim low rarely achieve any kind of altitude.

For Michael Bay, this is an opportunity to strike into new territory. This is the first directorial outing in which he has not been partnered with producer Jerry Bruckheimer. It isn't apparent - the movie is just as loud and action-oriented as anything he did with Bruckheimer. In Bay's canon, The Island ranks second - behind the filmmaker's only truly good movie, The Rock, but ahead of such memorable epics as Armageddon,Pearl Harbor, and Bad Boys II. The Island, like Bay, delivers what's expected, and not a thing more. And, although it engaged me during most of its two-plus hour running length, I left the theater feeling a hollow and even a little let down.

To the extent that it takes place in a futuristic setting, The Island functions as science fiction. Really, though, the 2090 locales are just excuses to make things look a little more exotic. The central conceit - cloning - turns into a plot device. Despite the richness of the premise, which asks a number of bio-ethical questions, there is little room for complex moral conundrums once the adrenaline starts pumping. And, for a movie that opens in a field of ideas, it comes as a disappointment to learn that the conclusion is just a big fight with lots of things blowing up. (Rumor has it that the original script, penned by Caspian Tredwell-Owen before Bay became involved and brought in Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci, was more thoughtful and intelligent than the final project. Tredwell-Owen is remaining mum about his opinion of the final product, probably because Dreamworks paid him $1 million for the rights.)

The Island is reminiscent of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Total Recall, which used science fiction ideas as a backdrop for lots of fights, chases, and other assorted excitement. Overall, Recall did a better job, at least in the story department. The action is superior in The Island, but that's probably to be expected, since the bar has been raised considerably since 1989. Others may be reminded of The Matrix and Minority Report, but The Island isn't in the same league. Those two movies were the complete package - not only did they follow through on their tantalizing ideas, but they offered a near-perfect mix of adrenaline and testosterone. They leave The Island bobbing far in their wake.

As disposable entertainment, The Island does what it is supposed to do. There are two remarkable car chases (one featuring oversized barbells), flawless interaction between two identical McGregors (one with an American accent, the other with his proper one), some really big explosions, and enough sequences to make a video game designer smile. Don't expect filet mignon with The Island; this is hamburger. If Martin Scorsese is a fine steak house, then Michael Bay is MacDonald's. And watching the movie is akin to eating in that place. It's fast, greasy, and fills an immediate need, but you'd better have the Rolaids handy for the indigestion that follows.
TornadoCreatorApr 21, 2016
I never would have expected this but Michael Bay of all directors has managed to create a genuinely great science fiction story with a consistent cyber-punk aesthetic, interesting story, and some admittedly over the top but ultimatelyI never would have expected this but Michael Bay of all directors has managed to create a genuinely great science fiction story with a consistent cyber-punk aesthetic, interesting story, and some admittedly over the top but ultimately entertaining action set pieces. Considering this director has repeatedly shown that he's got little to no understanding of how human being act, creating emotionally stunted human being with purposefully child-like outlooks who are forced to face up to the reality that they exist only to be abused and taken advantage of by the rich and powerful, in the name of greed; that was a challenge I never would have expected him to live up to.

This is hardly new concepts, it's a downtrodden repressed underclass of people breaking the shackles of their oppressors and fighting back against corporate greed story; it's a classic and in many ways that's what makes this work so well. The two main characters are particularly well written and the subtle hints of a romance sub-plot are handled both with restraint and dignity, which was especially shocking.

This film is great fun and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone, but anyone who enjoys action, sci-fi, or particularly the cyberpunk sub-genre; this is a film you're absolutely love.
HansFlicksJul 5, 2013
Michael Bay is not a name that is frequently associated with films that are particularly profound. The Island doesn't buck this trend entirely, but does more than enough to cement its place as his most cerebral work to date.

The science

The science fiction aesthetic at work here is by far the easiest with which to suspend disbelief. The environments are futuristic, but not so much so that the world feels alien at any point. There are, however, some issues with consistency in the dates given for when these events are taking place, but the specifics are not where the film's magnetism lies.

The story is centred on a moral dilemma, posing a number of philosophical questions in the process. It also taps into a topical discussion on the implications of growing replacement organs and the kind of scenarios that this might lead to. The breadth of the exploration isn't particularly far-reaching, but is mostly responsible for the more intelligent elements of the film. It gives the rest of the action a weightier feel, preventing this from becoming just another explosive romp completely devoid of a brain. It won't keep you up at night, but the plot is sturdy enough to provoke at least some contemplation as the narrative plays out.

There is a noticeable shift in pace after the initial scene setting has been done, the action set pieces coming thick and fast. Bay tends to split opinion as a film-maker, but there can be no doubt that he is very good indeed at what he does. There are sometimes criticisms levelled that the sequences he brings to the screen are somewhat repetitive across movies (think highway chase scenes with cars being flipped like Matchbox toys and a skyscraper's worth of breaking glass). There may be some credence to this, but for me, it doesn't make it any less breathtaking to experience when the picture is in full flow.

As for the performances, all concerned put in decent displays, with the highlight being Steve Buscemi. His ability to carry a scene is just as potent here as it has ever been, bringing some light relief in the process and pushing the movie forward. The remainder of the supporting cast also throws up some pleasant surprises, the childlike attitude of a few of the characters affording ample opportunity for the actors to have some fun.
PaulD.Oct 17, 2005
Awesome movie...nuff said.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
wafia.Jan 5, 2006
It was a great movie, with a creative Idea about cloning , beside my special love to scarlet!!!
1 of 1 users found this helpful
TaylorBJan 4, 2010
Excellent movie, lots of action, keeps you rooting for a side. You watch it and find out.
chipDec 6, 2005
Entertaining - not at all as bad as the reviews make it seem. i think it is more akin to logan's run than matrix or blade runner. (i guess all sci-fi fils are going to be compared to blade runner and the matrix).
TheElusivePossomAug 30, 2005
[***SPOILERS***] This film seemed to emerge from thin air, and based on positive hear-say from my friends alone, I decided it would be one worth catching. Before even entering the cinema however, I was given negative feedback concerning the[***SPOILERS***] This film seemed to emerge from thin air, and based on positive hear-say from my friends alone, I decided it would be one worth catching. Before even entering the cinema however, I was given negative feedback concerning the movie by two of its patrons: an elderly woman and a female member of staff with a strong foreign accent I couldn't quite place at the time. Having seen the film myself, I have concluded that the elderly woman was in way beyond her depth of understanding in terms of a film depicting the future, and the member of staff, who had suggested I "check out Unleashed with Jet Li" instead, was clearly just stupid, because "The Island" is a brilliant film: a perfect blend of gripping plot, epic action and jaw-dropping visual effects. The use of real brands such as MSN and Cadillac worked well to enhance a realistic portrayal of the future world. Other touches were particularly commendable: in the viewing I saw, amongst the adverts preceding the main feature was one advertising a perfume starring Scarlett Johanssen. Imagine my surprise and delight to...(SPOILER) see the very same advert appear on a big screen during a scene in the film, revealing the real Scarlett's occupation as an actress! (END SPOILER). The acting of Ewan McGregor is pleasing (on both accounts ;)) as is the Machiavellian nature of Sean Bean's role. There is comedy here, as well as some moments of real sadness that you can see coming, yet are still moved by. The film, however, is by no means flawless: the loose ends are tied about half-way through, letting only the relentless yet predictable climax remain. Also, I take issue with anyone who is the victim of a side-on collision with a heavy goods vehicle, who then steps out of the car with perfect make-up. All in all, this movie is one of the golden releases this year, and much better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I regret seeing to an unholy level. Expand
StageProNov 13, 2006
I have to say, I also LOVED this movie, but I give it a 9 because hardly ANYTHING I see gets a full 10! lol - When I saw the movie poster and trailer for this flick I thought OH NO, my dear Scarlet sold out to a crap Michael Bay film! NO I have to say, I also LOVED this movie, but I give it a 9 because hardly ANYTHING I see gets a full 10! lol - When I saw the movie poster and trailer for this flick I thought OH NO, my dear Scarlet sold out to a crap Michael Bay film! NO NO!!! Well, I gave it a chance when it came onto DVD and I was immediately engaged and oh so pleasantly surprised! Like others mentioned here, it grabs hold of you and never let's you go, and I can't stand action thrillers normally. The human subplot is really truly touching and I am even proud to say I cried at the end of this film for like a half an hour! I also had to run out and get the soundtrack!! Boy am I sap eh?? Scarlet and Ewan really make nice chemistry and the acting is truly superb. I really felt as if I caught a glmipse of where are future could go...as a race if we don't watch ourselves with this cloning business. SEE this movie, check it out, it was worth the 2 hours, it really was... HAIL SCARLET! She is so endearing... Expand
TinaW.Jan 26, 2006
I saw this movie in the theater with a couple of friends and we were all absorbed in the intensity of the action. I'm not saying it was some profound piece of art, but it was highly entertaining. Even the large amount of product placing I saw this movie in the theater with a couple of friends and we were all absorbed in the intensity of the action. I'm not saying it was some profound piece of art, but it was highly entertaining. Even the large amount of product placing became a fun game of 'who can spot the most'. We were all highly entertained, and got into it and genuinely had fun at the movies. We also now own the dvd because of how fun it was. Expand
SeanDJan 4, 2006
While slightly over the top, fans of the sci-fi, action-adventure genre will not be disappointed. Non-stop Action from beginning to end which is beautifully shot.
SteveP.Feb 8, 2006
O.K. i don't care what all the "Movie Snobbs" have to say about this film it was great. Who says that a movie has to be boring to have a deep message. This movie thought a little long and laging was extermily entertaining to watch. and O.K. i don't care what all the "Movie Snobbs" have to say about this film it was great. Who says that a movie has to be boring to have a deep message. This movie thought a little long and laging was extermily entertaining to watch. and the message was very deep, Human life is not a probuct and should not be created for destoryed like one. we can't go around creating humans like iPods only to chop them up and seel there livers. if you are pro-cloning then go see this film, i was but this made me re-think that. Expand
DaddyO.Jun 30, 2006
Great film. LOTS of style. One of the best sci-fi's in a while. This film can be split in half; a futuristic sci-fi and then a "Bad Boys"-like action movie. Strange combination. This film would get a 10 if it didn't get carried Great film. LOTS of style. One of the best sci-fi's in a while. This film can be split in half; a futuristic sci-fi and then a "Bad Boys"-like action movie. Strange combination. This film would get a 10 if it didn't get carried away with explosions and blowing crap up. For me that spoils it coz you "here we go again, more hollywood CGI". But even if you're not a geek or into sci-fi, u have to see this film for Scarlett Johansson. Expand
MattFMar 14, 2007
First off: I saw this movie mainly because of Scarlett Johansson, and partially because the story sounded compelling. In both ways the film didn't disappoint. The main issue I had was that just about everything in the movie, from start First off: I saw this movie mainly because of Scarlett Johansson, and partially because the story sounded compelling. In both ways the film didn't disappoint. The main issue I had was that just about everything in the movie, from start to finish, seemed forced; including the acting, the plot, and especially the action. However, it had a nice concept and it entertained pretty well. It's just unfortunate that it's intellectual potential wasn't really met. Expand
JackOct 14, 2008
Spectacular. Music was nice also.
RobDSep 27, 2008
Great futuristic action movie in typical Michael Bay blockbuster style. Good cast!
MarkMJan 25, 2009
I don't know how these critics come off with their harsh comments, yet they provide no substence with their argument. This was a fantastic movie and the editing and special effects were nicely done.
*confidentialJul 9, 2009
I don't understand what all the critics are complaining about. Good acting, good story, good visuals, good audio.. what else are they looking for?
ArielGDec 1, 2005
In terms of its visual details and aesthetics it was wonderful, especially in the beginning when they're in the facility. If the book Brave New World was made into a movie, this is how I imagine the environment would look like. The In terms of its visual details and aesthetics it was wonderful, especially in the beginning when they're in the facility. If the book Brave New World was made into a movie, this is how I imagine the environment would look like. The concept and the story was okay, but somehow the movie didn't mesh towards the end. It must've been because of all the car chases and helicopter chases, where it just became a typical Michael Bay action flick. Felt like I was watching Bad Boys II again. Overall, it's not too bad, but also not too good. I added an extra 2 points to my rating score because of the gorgeous Scarlett Johansen's presence, even though I think her talent was wasted here. I found Ewan McGregor pretty good in his role. Expand
BitBurnDec 23, 2005
This sci-fi was awesome. Fans of the genre, don't miss it! And Scarlett looks delicious! ;-)
ExotixS.Sep 14, 2005
Well, like many others remakes, remixes this year The Island is very enjoyable and good demonstration of possible tommorow technology (without FlyTrain Till 2034), but it can suprise you with the latest camera, fx effects, music and Well, like many others remakes, remixes this year The Island is very enjoyable and good demonstration of possible tommorow technology (without FlyTrain Till 2034), but it can suprise you with the latest camera, fx effects, music and attractive stars...what else can you aspect from remake? This movie is more realistic then deep scfi Matrix XXXRunner... 50% for the story and 50% for good demonstration of near future. Expand
CriticsR.Sep 9, 2005
Entertaining. Doesn't all make sense of course, but it was fun to watch.
BubbaFishJan 12, 2006
Not since BAD BOYS has Michael Bay made such a creative piece of work. A thrilling ride!!!
TimN.Mar 3, 2006
Great movie, starts quick and doesn't let you down til the very end credits. It seems the critics didn't care for this movie, but check it out, you will not be disappointed. I would say this is the best sci-fi thriller since the Great movie, starts quick and doesn't let you down til the very end credits. It seems the critics didn't care for this movie, but check it out, you will not be disappointed. I would say this is the best sci-fi thriller since the Matrix. See it today! Expand
WillDApr 21, 2008
A good Sci-Fi yarn that entertains both with the early imagery and themes of totalitarian oppression & human curiosity in the face of corporate propaganda and the later action sequences in a futuristic environment. Scarlett Johansson is A good Sci-Fi yarn that entertains both with the early imagery and themes of totalitarian oppression & human curiosity in the face of corporate propaganda and the later action sequences in a futuristic environment. Scarlett Johansson is irresistible as doe eyed Jordan 2 Delta & Ewan McGregor equally likable as curious but naive Lincoln 6 Echo. The ending is perhaps a little two Hollywood for some (those who enjoyed the end of Orwells 1984) but this is after all mass entertainment & not everyone likes to leave the cinema with fuel for deep introspection. Expand
KDDec 13, 2005
Starts off slow, in an interesting way. then explodes off the screen with near non-stop action.
gabec.Dec 19, 2005
Really good movie. I don't completely understand why this didn't do better in the box-office (I rented it). Good Sci-Fi, Action movie. Good acting, great sets, interesting topic, original action. I can only think that the movie Really good movie. I don't completely understand why this didn't do better in the box-office (I rented it). Good Sci-Fi, Action movie. Good acting, great sets, interesting topic, original action. I can only think that the movie went too long and didn't resemble anything in the trailers that I saw. I hate when trailers sell the movie incorrectly. I really liked this movie. Definitely not a sci-fi in the same league as Matrix/BladeRunner. It is sci-fi-lite... mostly an action movie with sci-fi aspects and plot. Expand
LarryH.Dec 6, 2005
Liked the visuals, liked the pace, loved the message.
MohammedR.Sep 16, 2005
Very good movie. The first half of the movie is somewhat slow. But the rest is action packed. The movie works well together as a whole.
AMovieFanMar 21, 2007
Probably the best futuristic thriller I've ever seen. While movies I've seen like Minority Report and The 6th Day have dealt with similar subjects but none have really hit home as much as this movie has. Surprisingly intelligent Probably the best futuristic thriller I've ever seen. While movies I've seen like Minority Report and The 6th Day have dealt with similar subjects but none have really hit home as much as this movie has. Surprisingly intelligent for a film from Michael Bay, (a director known for mindless action movies) and always moving, this movie provides a very scary, cool little world in the first hour, and the movie continues to fly when the characters leave this world and enter a futuristic Los Angeles. Definitely worth watching, it's really a very fun movie, and one that's really powerful. Michael Bay should do more films like this one (although unfortunately, this film's lack of domestic box office success may encourage him not to,) and I hope this movie found an audience somewhere because it's a great movie, really worth seeing. Big thumbs up to the music, as well. Expand
VinnyVJun 29, 2009
Amazing Movie, It has action, love, humor, and conspiracy all mixed into one. Definitely a good one.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
AnthonyFJul 16, 2009
The Island is so well put together I forgot who or what it was ripping off. This is Michael Bay's second best film and it is put together nicely. Sci-fi fans with love the first half and hate the second and action movie goers (like me) The Island is so well put together I forgot who or what it was ripping off. This is Michael Bay's second best film and it is put together nicely. Sci-fi fans with love the first half and hate the second and action movie goers (like me) with praise the second half and will appreciate the first. This is a well constructed action packed thriller which exists for no other reason but to entertain. Expand
ShaneFischerDec 14, 2005
I just dont understand how people can actually say this is a bad movie. Fine it's more action than SciFi. Who cares?? Its a great action movie. Plus Scarlett looks fantastic.
tammyDec 16, 2005
A movie about clones.. the action is so real than most movies i have seen. must watch it!
[Anonymous]Dec 16, 2005
This is Bay's 2nd best movie. Not all the action thrills, but enough of it does. The issues over human cloning and human worth are well presented, as well as some themes from the Matrix and 1984. It bests all but the Rock. It's not This is Bay's 2nd best movie. Not all the action thrills, but enough of it does. The issues over human cloning and human worth are well presented, as well as some themes from the Matrix and 1984. It bests all but the Rock. It's not as good as it could've been, but for once, Michael Bay proves he's capable of something more ambitious than his usual material. Expand
GregT.Dec 19, 2005
A sci-fi flick with a different plot line. Interesting.
JohnS.Nov 11, 2007
Obviously not a film that ignorant, average to low IQ people enjoy. The message of the film is that YOU, yes you, right now, in this life of yours, are a product. You are owned. It's an eye opener. See Zeitgeist the movie for details.