The Italian Job

8.7

1. DennisP.
    Mar 6, 2004
    OK for a couple of hours of mindless fun, but the bad acting from this second rate cast gets annoying quite quickly. Too much smirking at each other while facing grave danger. The normally reliable Edward Norton is wasted as a lame villian and Donald Sutherland does himself a favour and books out early. Good action sequences get the Italian Job a 5 out of 10.
  2. LassiterP.
    Jun 23, 2003
    [***Spoiler***] The best actor in the entire ensemble cast was whacked in the first fifteen minutes (Donald Sutherland) making for the premise of the movie. It would have been a lot better if they had killed Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron as their pairing had no chemistry at all. Ed Norton is capable of so much better. Very disappointing.
  3. Fantasy
    Jun 20, 2003
    Okay, but nothing great that we haven't seen before. No explanation as to why Steve (Ed Norton) did what he did or why his character wasn't researched before including him in the caper? No explanation why ruthless killers like the Ukranian's didn't just take the gold for themselves. Otherwise, cookie cutter type movie with likeable characters with a predictable Okay, but nothing great that we haven't seen before. No explanation as to why Steve (Ed Norton) did what he did or why his character wasn't researched before including him in the caper? No explanation why ruthless killers like the Ukranian's didn't just take the gold for themselves. Otherwise, cookie cutter type movie with likeable characters with a predictable conclusion. Just okay. Expand
  4. YoonMinC.
    Oct 10, 2003
    A heist movie should have the complexity of chess, elegance of jazz, the contours of stylish woman. Italian Job is, instead, loud and brash, pure rock n roll crime thriller too in-your-face for genuine surprises. Worse, it's an unrelenting stream of crass consumerist fantasies; it's less a movie with product endosements than vice versa. Still, the main protagonists--cast as to A heist movie should have the complexity of chess, elegance of jazz, the contours of stylish woman. Italian Job is, instead, loud and brash, pure rock n roll crime thriller too in-your-face for genuine surprises. Worse, it's an unrelenting stream of crass consumerist fantasies; it's less a movie with product endosements than vice versa. Still, the main protagonists--cast as to appeal to maximum numbers of young moviegoers across racial/sexual lines--seem to be having a great time. Wahlberg and Theron are especially charming. However, the two great actors fare less well; Sutherland disappears much too soon, and Norton sleepwalks thru his meager role. The plot is barely serviceable but if you want to see a reasonably clever party movie with car chases, explosions, and a cool babe cracking open safes, you could do worse. Expand
  5. HalW.
    Nov 22, 2003
    A bit slow at times, not as good as the original.
  6. raVen
    Oct 15, 2003
    (5.5) As with Burns and Hoffman in "Confidence," you have a shiny face with sub-par acting talents as the lead, and an infinitely more talented and interesting actor as the bad guy. Such is my respect for Norton, that for the duration of the movie, I was actually rooting for his character to smack one to Wahlberg, even though he was so very, very bad. Since many bright colors were (5.5) As with Burns and Hoffman in "Confidence," you have a shiny face with sub-par acting talents as the lead, and an infinitely more talented and interesting actor as the bad guy. Such is my respect for Norton, that for the duration of the movie, I was actually rooting for his character to smack one to Wahlberg, even though he was so very, very bad. Since many bright colors were flashing quickly in front of my eyes, on and off, for a couple hours, I was kept entertained. But a second time? Not on your life. Expand
  7. Kent
    Jun 10, 2003
    My expectations weren't too high for this movie when I went to see it and I'm glad it wasn't. I'm a big fan of the re-make of Oceans 11 and this movie does not compare to it. Good film, but nothing special. I'd say it's a rental at best.
  8. JohnA.
    Jun 15, 2003
    I think it really says a lot that a movie this boring and predictable can get an overall 68 rating from the "critics" in this country. How much more dumbed down are we going to allow Hollywood to get before we stop wasting our $8 to $10? Theron is simply eye candy. What a no-talent waste of space. Her and Marky Mark have ZERO chemistry. I guess Ed Norton has to pay the bills, but this I think it really says a lot that a movie this boring and predictable can get an overall 68 rating from the "critics" in this country. How much more dumbed down are we going to allow Hollywood to get before we stop wasting our $8 to $10? Theron is simply eye candy. What a no-talent waste of space. Her and Marky Mark have ZERO chemistry. I guess Ed Norton has to pay the bills, but this film is certainly beneath someone of his abilities. Don't waste your hard earned money on this crapper. Expand
  9. Nov 1, 2010
    Fun movie, but rather dumb. They make so many poor choices leading up to the heist that the suspension of disbelief is non-existent. Unlike the Ocean's crew, these guys not only do things in the most un-slick, non subtle way possible, but they leave gaping holes in the plan and just make bad choices. Like having the gang leader's daughter spy on the antagonist as a cable repairwoman.Fun movie, but rather dumb. They make so many poor choices leading up to the heist that the suspension of disbelief is non-existent. Unlike the Ocean's crew, these guys not only do things in the most un-slick, non subtle way possible, but they leave gaping holes in the plan and just make bad choices. Like having the gang leader's daughter spy on the antagonist as a cable repairwoman. Really? You don't think he might have seen her before, working with him all those years?

If you can set aside all the logic problems, it's a fun movie with a great pulse. Edward Norton is always awesome, even as a sniveling bad guy. But intelligent this movie is not.
  10. Apr 30, 2013
    To me this is not a remake. To be fair I really wish they had not put Italian Job in the Title. In the UK its call 'The Italian Job: LA Heist' and from this I wish it was just called 'LA Heist'. The story is not all that bad. Its fairly generic but engaging. Most of the parts in the film are played well and I did think the cast was good. The only real reason that this is The Italian Job isTo me this is not a remake. To be fair I really wish they had not put Italian Job in the Title. In the UK its call 'The Italian Job: LA Heist' and from this I wish it was just called 'LA Heist'. The story is not all that bad. Its fairly generic but engaging. Most of the parts in the film are played well and I did think the cast was good. The only real reason that this is The Italian Job is through the choice of cars (New BMW MINIS). The plot moves at a decent pace and has plenty of set pieces, action moments along with some emotions (these feel a little obvious and fairly predictable) but its not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.
    The ending is a little cheap for me but its not the worst you will ever see.
    Rent rather than buy.
  11. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Not that it should be passed on, but Oceanâ Expand
  12. Jun 2, 2012
    Perfect length, good choice of actors and best of all, the story is told almost flawlessly. Every minute of the film has been put to good use, so there are no fillers and it's all straight in there. It's "smart but simple" with some humour and good action scenes. I don't think it's a great film though. It's too gimmicky and lacking focus or the wow factor, but it's a good action film thatPerfect length, good choice of actors and best of all, the story is told almost flawlessly. Every minute of the film has been put to good use, so there are no fillers and it's all straight in there. It's "smart but simple" with some humour and good action scenes. I don't think it's a great film though. It's too gimmicky and lacking focus or the wow factor, but it's a good action film that won't dissapoint. Expand
  13. Aug 28, 2014
    Sub-par remake of an already sub-par heist adventure. Charlize Theron does excite--but is lost amidst unnecessary action. I fear that all I will take away from this experience is a vision of the Mini-Cooper.
  14. Nov 12, 2013
    The Italian Job gets promoted.
    There is very little to speak of, The Italian Job is filled with overly qualified actors that are handed paper thin characters and cheesy one liners. An entertaining heist film with poor logic and no substance.
  15. May 30, 2016
    2003's classic remake ''The Italian Job'' is mediocrity at its best. It's neither great, original, surprising or anything of such sorts, nor is it bad in any way, shape or form. It's an entertaining film, it certainly is, but that's really al it is. The script is predictable and filled with plot-holes as you expect with films like this, the acting isnt good, nor is it bad, no one in2003's classic remake ''The Italian Job'' is mediocrity at its best. It's neither great, original, surprising or anything of such sorts, nor is it bad in any way, shape or form. It's an entertaining film, it certainly is, but that's really al it is. The script is predictable and filled with plot-holes as you expect with films like this, the acting isnt good, nor is it bad, no one in particular stands out, Edward Norton maybe, he plays a cool villain, but in the opening scene of the film (and knowing the general synopsis of the film beforehand) you instantly know he was going to be the one to betray them, with his scary face and the moustache.
    The film has cool ideas, despite having seen them all done before a hundred times, it has impressive set pieces, car/boat chases, good locations and a stellar cast. The way it was executed reminded me in a good way of Fast Five/Furious Six/ and Furious Seven. The same style of a rag-tag team planning a big heist, with car chases, lots of money, and just a great time watching

All in all ''The Italian Job'' is certainly an entertaining flick, but extremely conventional, predictable, same with the characters.

1. An elaborate techno-heist thriller, The Italian Job features some spectacular chase scenes, but for a change, the people doing the chasing are also worth watching.
  2. Feels a like smooth, exciting whoosh down a ski slope.
    The chase scenes in The Italian Job are the most exciting ones I can remember seeing in a movie in a long time, probably because they're the only ones I can remember -- and that's saying something.