8.4

1. Jul 12, 2014
    The Jacket has an interesting concept, atmosphere and acting from Brody and Knightley. The movie has
    multiple themes rolled into one and they all work. The movie is Brody's best movie and it is well made.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    A good thriller with thick and depressive atmosphere with elements of science fiction, I'd say the atmosphere is the main advantage of the movie. The story is decent too, also the actors made a good job.
  3. Sep 8, 2013
    Utter drivel. The characters were decent but the plot-line was boring, and it became increasingly difficult to watch. It's kind of thrown together in an unpredictable manner and that makes it hard to enjoy.
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    A very interesting and engaging film. Sure, the story isn't possible, but it's not meant to be and doesn't come across as though it's trying to act as though it is. A few things could have been explained or explored more deeply, but there was nothing that detracted from the film. Ignore the 'critics', their opinion is as worthless as ever. The characters do have depth, as does the filmsA very interesting and engaging film. Sure, the story isn't possible, but it's not meant to be and doesn't come across as though it's trying to act as though it is. A few things could have been explained or explored more deeply, but there was nothing that detracted from the film. Ignore the 'critics', their opinion is as worthless as ever. The characters do have depth, as does the films emotional exploration. Definitely a film to watch Collapse
  5. Aug 8, 2011
    The Jacket is an amazing movie. Adrien brody and keira knightly's performance was very impressive. and the music was just beautiful. I watched it first time four years ago and now watch it gain still see it's amazing. One of the best movie I've ever seen. (Best is Inception lol)
  6. MichaelD.
    Jun 5, 2007
    This movie was exceptionally bad. Though the acting was passable (especially Kris Kristofferson) the unbelievability of the plot was too much to bear. Time travel from mind drugs? Some things can be changed in the past and some things can't? There's no way of determining it? The "avant-garde" aspects were just a reminder of why a lot of people can't stand avant-garde. It This movie was exceptionally bad. Though the acting was passable (especially Kris Kristofferson) the unbelievability of the plot was too much to bear. Time travel from mind drugs? Some things can be changed in the past and some things can't? There's no way of determining it? The "avant-garde" aspects were just a reminder of why a lot of people can't stand avant-garde. It makes no sense. But not in an interesting way, just a senseless way. The only reason I didn't give it a zero is because of the credits song by Roger Eno. Expand
  7. AdamM.
    Mar 30, 2007
    A surprisingly intelligent and well-executed film!
  8. MarkA.
    Apr 17, 2006
    I found the directing and cinematography to be top notch. A riveting film!
  9. Nathan
    Feb 4, 2006
    This movie sucked! Keira Knightley's acting and accent was the worst part. It's one of the worst movies that I've seen in my life.
  10. FrankO.
    Jan 10, 2006
    Innovative flick with outstanding cast but felt like I have seen this plot before.
  11. vanvera
    Jan 9, 2006
    Too much confused. just a little bit shocking view. in any sense.
  12. MarcoM.
    Dec 11, 2005
    Absolutely mind-blowing! It should definitely reach top 10 best of this year, I cannot believe it only received a
  13. FredR
    Nov 16, 2005
    This is one of those movies I was like, nah, it sounds corny. My brother read the description to me and I rejected it outright. He sat down to watch it so I gave it a chance. What's up with these ridiculous movies kicking so much ass!! I've been so impressed with the acting in movies lately. Keira Knightley and Adrien Brody nail their performances. Keira does an American accent This is one of those movies I was like, nah, it sounds corny. My brother read the description to me and I rejected it outright. He sat down to watch it so I gave it a chance. What's up with these ridiculous movies kicking so much ass!! I've been so impressed with the acting in movies lately. Keira Knightley and Adrien Brody nail their performances. Keira does an American accent better than any foreign actress, it's nothing short of amazing. Kris Kristofferson and the rest of the cast are terrific. I don't want to compare it to any other movies, it's a cool little film with a ton of heart and attitude. Haunting. I saw this months ago and now I want to see it again from writing this review. I was like, "the Jacket, this is gonna be crap." I couldn't have been more wrong. And yes, there are movies out there that I don't give a 10 to, but I won't review them. Expand
  14. PeteC.
    Oct 23, 2005
    A haunting, eerie and touching film, which dares to leave plenty to unravel after viewing.
  15. martin
    Oct 16, 2005
    I was just amazed at the low rating - this film is stunning - edgy, emotive and clever - some fo the best elements of one flew over the cuckoos nest and the butterfly effect. great performances, a must see.
  16. FerL.
    Sep 17, 2005
    It's the first movie that I like, wich doesn't has a lineal way. If you are tired and you don't want to think a little bit, It's not a movie for you. Think 20 minutes after de movie, and you could figure out the real meaning of the end of the movie. It's a 8 points movie, with two point tips because of Adrien. Fer
  17. AmiL
    Aug 24, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Lower budget but with high interest. Adrien Brody is exceptional as always and Keira Knightley was perfect in her role. I will give this a "10" however Kris Kristofferson lowers it to a 9.2. Congrats to his agent for finding him a role again, however.
  18. JoshH.
    Aug 7, 2005
    Good overall, but had its problems. This was a movie that deserved a much stronger script. The mystery surrounding why he sees the future turns out a little stale for my taste. Most of the acting was good, with the possible exception of Keira Knightley, whose American accent and role seemed a little forced. Worth seeing once or twice.
  19. Ben
    Jul 20, 2005
    Mind-blowing and trippy as hell!
  20. HB
    Jul 17, 2005
    Not what you expect. Hang in there after the Jacket scene for the real movie.
  21. ClaytonW.
    Jul 10, 2005
    This is a very good movie. The acting was phenomenal as Adrien Brody is a very talented actor. The plot was well designed but a little far fetched at times. But any good movie evokes emotions which this one definitely does.
  22. MarcD
    May 19, 2005
    I walked out of the cinema after half an hour. Never done that before. I really didn't enjoy a second of this show.
  23. PhilipP.
    Apr 15, 2005
    It reminded me "the butterfly effect" in a way.
  24. EL
    Apr 8, 2005
    I loved it!!
  25. THuynh
    Mar 13, 2005
    I walked out halfway through the movie. Neither suspenseful nor interesting enough to care how the movie ended.
  26. BitBurn
    Mar 13, 2005
    It's not bad, not bad at all. But not for everyone. Brody's awesome acting saved the day. I rate this at 7.5/10.
  27. sharynf.
    Mar 13, 2005
    Entertaining and ultimately satisfying.
  28. ChadS.
    Mar 11, 2005
    Here is a film you can make an argument for. "The Jacket" might be trash, but this is spring, and a film that could've been born from the pitch, "This is "Jacob's Ladder" meets "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", looks pretty damn good when "Are We There Yet?" and "Son of the Mask" are your competition. For no other reason, you should see "The Jacket" because Keira Here is a film you can make an argument for. "The Jacket" might be trash, but this is spring, and a film that could've been born from the pitch, "This is "Jacob's Ladder" meets "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", looks pretty damn good when "Are We There Yet?" and "Son of the Mask" are your competition. For no other reason, you should see "The Jacket" because Keira Knightley smokes in this movie as if she's paying homage to Winona Ryder's cigarette habit in "Reality Bites". That cancer inducing prop helps Knightley (like it helped Ryder in "Girl, Interrupted") in the provocative department when she has to be emote darkly. Her performance in "The Jacket" gives you the feeling that she was the runner-up in the Mike Nichols sweepstakes; coming in second to Natalie Portman. "The Jacket" works because Adrien Brody is an actor who can transform mediocre material. But if you are a fan of "Donnie Darko" like I am, you might think the quantum physics hack job is pretty nifty. Expand
  29. JasonK
    Mar 8, 2005
    I thought the movie was very compelling and emotionally interesting. I am normally very critical, and it's true that the story is not plausible, but it's not supposed to be. It's magical, and I didn't feel like it was to cheesy. The editing and cinematography were fantastic, as was the acting. See it.
  30. VinceH.
    Mar 7, 2005
    This is one of those movies that should've been a lot better than it is. The credentials are amazing - music by the great Brian Eno; directed by John Maybury, who worked for many years with one of the best British directors ever, Derek Jarman, and was also involved in producing and editing music videos for The Smiths in the 1980's. So why isn't this film as good as it could This is one of those movies that should've been a lot better than it is. The credentials are amazing - music by the great Brian Eno; directed by John Maybury, who worked for many years with one of the best British directors ever, Derek Jarman, and was also involved in producing and editing music videos for The Smiths in the 1980's. So why isn't this film as good as it could be? Can you say "Too many hands?". The script has the feel of a worked-over first draft that passed through multiple combinations of writers with no distinct tone or style. Certain things are never logically made clear about Brody and the time traveling (is he physicially still in the box or does he transport there?). Keira Knightley's perf is distracting and takes one out of the movie since it is so studied and so trying to be serious. She's not convincing for one second and it is a major flaw of the film that she was cast in it. The whole look and feel as a dated 1980's-ambience that I found really lame. God knows how this woulc've turned out had someone like a Cronenberg or Fincher had directed it. Maybe even Richard Kelly. Expand
  31. LawrenceR.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This movie would have been much, much worse without Brody.
  32. DavidB.
    Mar 5, 2005
    I really enjoyed the movie until the ending. The logic just does not work. I wouldn't be surprised if this release was an altered ending to appease the studio heads. Overall worthwhile though.
  33. Dan
    Mar 5, 2005
    Adrien Brody, possibly the greatest actor in the world as of now, saves a movie with an incredibly bad pretense from disaster.
  34. qayyumy.
    Good.

You'll either walk away with a headache,or praising filmmaker John Maybury for his unique narrative...and it is unique, but in my eyes, it's also a big giant mess.
    Though shot for maximum moodiness by the gifted Peter Deming ("Mulholland Drive"), the movie straps you in for a head trip that promises hallucinatory wonders but delivers the same old Hollywood formula with sugar on top.
  3. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Admittedly, The Jacket is not likely to be everyone's cup of tea, but filmmaker John Maybury has forged a mesmerizing mindblower.