6.8

1. Aug 22, 2010
    La premisa de la opera prima del exdirector de comerciales Derrick Borte es interesante -una familia falsa se muda a unos suburbios pudientes de Estados Unidos para provocar la envidia consumista de los vecinos- pero su realización es timorata e inconsecuente. Lástima por el reparto, encabezado por Demi Moore y David Duchovny.
  2. Apr 16, 2011
    If you liked Last Chance Harvey,you'll love The Joneses. It has that same dramdy touch that Last Chance Harvey does. It's one of Demi Moore's best movies. Don't miss it.
  3. Oct 13, 2010
    Unexpectedly good. Somewhat predictable, but interesting. Definitely a thought provoking look at our need to 'keep up with the joneses'. I agree with 'Darren Y' 'somewhat one-dimensional characters', but overall more than worth my $1.00 at Redbox.
  4. Jun 6, 2011
    David Duchovny is excellent in this movie. Its a good movie but I cant help feeling that the studios saw a movie that was too dark ( which it scratched towards the latter part of the movie ) and polished it off. The result has changed what could have been a dark movie into an enjoyable Sunday afternoon movie. The ending kills off any notion of it being alternative. I liked it, just felt that there was something else there which was unfortunately sidelined. Expand
  5. Aug 24, 2012
    This was a surprisingly enjoyable film. I had never heard of the film before I saw it on TV but the premise intrigued me so I took a chance. Mulder acted extremely well, Amber Heard probably gave her best performance and as per usual Gary Cole was phenomenal. The storyline was fantastic and had it been paced ever so slightly quicker I think I would have given this a 9. I felt it waned ever so slightly in the middle. Still, more than worth a view and I would definitely recommend it! Expand
  6. Feb 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Joneses, or how to come up with a great idea and be unable to do anything with it. Why? Lazy writing. What started out to be a great satire, dark and cynical, turns out to be a soft romantic comedy in between Duchovny and Moore, with all the other characters being solely here as extras (what was the point of the son's coming out again?!?!??! And the daughter's love story with a married guy?!?!?). And once again, Hollywood couldn't help but make a cheesy happy ending with the two ending together, and the movie ends on a let's-not-piss-our-audience-off-this-is-entertainment-goddam-it note, that clearly states that over consumption and credit card debt should in no way be blamed on irresponsible consumers behavior (let's not insult our audience please) but only on those mean and evil marketing guys who mess up with our brains and make us wanna get always more stuff. The film almost feels as if Derrick Borte started writing it with pure intentions and then some advertising executive stormed into his office and made him write the second and third act of the script with a gun to his head. Expand

1. Borte supports his jewel of a story idea with dead-on casting, stunning images and product placement that's intentionally heavy-handed.
  2. What could have been a biting black comedy taking product placement to the logical extreme instead is so obviously predictable that even a savvy cast led by David Duchovny and Demi Moore can't sell it.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    If The Joneses were pure farce, which it isn't, Borte could have gotten away with a lot. Likewise, the picture might have succeeded if it were all a bit funnier and a little less mean-spirited about spending, debt and envy.