6.8

1. DarrenY
    Apr 18, 2010
    So on the one hand, it had somewhat one-dimensional characters, and there's a point in the movie where I felt that the plot became predictable. But on the other hand, I thought that the satire in this movie was so sharp and biting that I'll be remembering the message of this movie for a long time. I really enjoyed the meta-commentary inherent in the concept of the movie. And I So on the one hand, it had somewhat one-dimensional characters, and there's a point in the movie where I felt that the plot became predictable. But on the other hand, I thought that the satire in this movie was so sharp and biting that I'll be remembering the message of this movie for a long time. I really enjoyed the meta-commentary inherent in the concept of the movie. And I can see that Hollywood would be afraid of further characterization (I would have enjoyed perhaps another hour of exploring the different facets of the main characters) at the risk of turning away mainstream viewers more interested in a popcorn flick than a deep movie. Summary: If you enjoyed the Truman Show, and Thank You For Smoking, I bet you'll enjoy this (admittedly flawed) parable of modern consumerism. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2011
    If you liked Last Chance Harvey,you'll love The Joneses. It has that same dramdy touch that Last Chance Harvey does. It's one of Demi Moore's best movies. Don't miss it.
  3. Oct 13, 2010
    Unexpectedly good. Somewhat predictable, but interesting. Definitely a thought provoking look at our need to 'keep up with the joneses'. I agree with 'Darren Y' 'somewhat one-dimensional characters', but overall more than worth my $1.00 at Redbox.
  4. Aug 24, 2012
    This was a surprisingly enjoyable film. I had never heard of the film before I saw it on TV but the premise intrigued me so I took a chance. Mulder acted extremely well, Amber Heard probably gave her best performance and as per usual Gary Cole was phenomenal. The storyline was fantastic and had it been paced ever so slightly quicker I think I would have given this a 9. I felt it waned everThis was a surprisingly enjoyable film. I had never heard of the film before I saw it on TV but the premise intrigued me so I took a chance. Mulder acted extremely well, Amber Heard probably gave her best performance and as per usual Gary Cole was phenomenal. The storyline was fantastic and had it been paced ever so slightly quicker I think I would have given this a 9. I felt it waned ever so slightly in the middle. Still, more than worth a view and I would definitely recommend it! Expand

1. Borte supports his jewel of a story idea with dead-on casting, stunning images and product placement that's intentionally heavy-handed.
  2. What could have been a biting black comedy taking product placement to the logical extreme instead is so obviously predictable that even a savvy cast led by David Duchovny and Demi Moore can't sell it.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    If The Joneses were pure farce, which it isn't, Borte could have gotten away with a lot. Likewise, the picture might have succeeded if it were all a bit funnier and a little less mean-spirited about spending, debt and envy.