Columbia Pictures | Release Date: June 11, 2010
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 240 Ratings
WATCH NOW
YorkManJan 16, 2016
On 'The Island Of Completely Unnecessary Remakes' there is a shrine for this film where the others go to pay homage.
Not only is it a terrible film, but it basically rips the heart out of the original and spits it in the audience's face.
Jaden Smith can't act, Tariji P. Henson can't act. Every other child actor in the film.... Can't act.
The original is a cult classic for a reason, it actually makes some sense. Teenagers abusing their karate skills, picking on the outsider who's just moved to town. The unlikely love interest that creates the emotional bridge between them all, and the morality tale about overcoming one's own fears to bring about that positive change.
The main problem with this film is changing the core cast from 17-18 years olds, and making them 12-13 year olds. The audience has to accept that pre-pubescent children can develop the same emotional/sexual bonds when applied to the 'love' interest. As well as the idea that the parents of the 'bad kids' are happy with their children going out and beating other kids up, as well as their 'sifu' being a completely sociopathic bastard!
There's no basis in reality for this movie, and even if you go in with your thinking cap firmly wedged in your pocket.... The atrocious acting, mediocre choreography, terrible musical score and by the book direction will make you wish you'd chosen any other film on whichever format you might have found this one on!
The only bright spark in the film is Jackie Chan, but he's given very little scope in terms of character development. 'Mr Miyagi', the man lamenting a past life he gave up in Japan, he ain't!

All I can say is that this is a film to avoid like the plague. I watched it solely out of curiosity, and I really wish I hadn't bothered.
georgezJul 21, 2013
horrible. a 12 year old kid moving to china from america is unrealistic. the chinese education system would kill anyone raised in american education system. the plot is also cliche some guy comes to china,he gets bullied,a kung fu teacherhorrible. a 12 year old kid moving to china from america is unrealistic. the chinese education system would kill anyone raised in american education system. the plot is also cliche some guy comes to china,he gets bullied,a kung fu teacher magically pops up and teaches him karate(??? karate isn't kung fu derps nor is it chinese or japanese),he uses the karate to kick the bully's ass. Expand
aaronpaul121May 25, 2012
A terrible movie with terrible acting, an obscure plot, a horrible soundtrack and a whole lot of dreadful karate. The original one is way better than this one..........
boissonOct 29, 2011
I was a little surprised when I heard that Columbia were making a reboot of the Karate Kid series set in China, and so, being someone who never watched the series as a kid, thought I'd indulge myself when it screened on HBO OnDemand. It wasI was a little surprised when I heard that Columbia were making a reboot of the Karate Kid series set in China, and so, being someone who never watched the series as a kid, thought I'd indulge myself when it screened on HBO OnDemand. It was terrible. Coming as someone who grew up at an age where films for younger audiences actually had some semblance of meaning and purpose, the Karate Kid struck me as nothing short of a cheap thrill created for no other purpose than to create a big bang at the box office. With a plot riddled with cliches, and stir together a cast of characters with as little emotional depth as a canker-riddled prostitute in a gay bar, the Karate Kid is the epitome of everything wrong with the generation of children we have today. Parents who have children at home, do yourself a favor and do not bother watching this film. Expand
digitalbeachbumJan 9, 2011
This movie could have been a really good movie if they didn't use the title of Karate Kid and if they didn't use Will Smith's son.

Yeah, I'm a traditionalist, but understand that Jackie Chan was in this movie because they told him it would be The Kung Fu Kid and not The Karate Kid. Yep, in other countries it was different, but in America, some young hot shot idiot thought it would be a good idea to make some money off the old series.

Yet, it was all Jackie Chan who carried the movie and I'm glad to see he won't be making another version of it (at least it seemed that way).

As for Smith's acting career, he'll make movies just as long as he has his dad and mom helping him out. He'll get support from them until he has made enough millions on his own, but if he continues to act like his father then he will end up being the same old boring, one dimensional, wise ass.

This movie isn't worth the time or money to see. It is far too full of plot holes and poor execution. While the scenery is some times worth the view, I can get the same awe inspiring look at China from a National Geographic special.
FlorianOct 13, 2010
I didn't enjoy the film very much. It was predictable and boring most of the time. Watching this I felt as if I were a very little child again, it's so childish. Don't watch this as a sensible adult.
UnpopularTruthOct 7, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jackie Chan was great in all of his scenes. Jaden Smith was passable, especially considering how young he is. But what ruined this movie for me was Dre's horrible, ineffective mother. She spends much of the movie being tempermental, abrasive, and neglectful of her son. She often has no idea where he is, letting him wander around on his own and get in trouble in a new country they know nothing about. She is oblivous to his problems for much of the movie and spends the final act cheering as her young son is kicked and punched in mortal combat while other kids are getting beat senseless. She manages to look hesitant after he is seriously injured and then continues to fight, but shows no sign of objecting. In our last view of her at the end of the movie, she's paying more attention to the trophy than to her own son who is still injured and limping around the platform. Someone call family services! Expand
EricM.Jun 25, 2010
The only thing wrong with this movie is that they changed if from a teenager in California to a kid in China. Seeing Jackie Chan fight six 12 year olds is silly, not exiting. That about sums up what is wrong with the picture. Whoever wrote The only thing wrong with this movie is that they changed if from a teenager in California to a kid in China. Seeing Jackie Chan fight six 12 year olds is silly, not exiting. That about sums up what is wrong with the picture. Whoever wrote this, never watched the original, just read a treatment. So much is lost. Lost sources of conflict include; rich versus poor, racism against orientals, and the misuse of karate. Also lost humor, pacing, and some great little touches. For example. What does the mother do? In the original she is working in a restaurant and going to become a manager. What happened to the girl's girlfriends? Don't violin prodigies have any friends? As for the principle characters motivation. Changing them from sixteen year teenagers to twelve year old kids makes the story silly. I just can't buy hormone driven behavior in these kids. However, I'll give it points for nice location, and finding all those English speaking actors. Expand
ShiangH.Jun 19, 2010
I almost died of goosebumps while watching this dreadful movie.
1 of 5 users found this helpful
JohnSJun 18, 2010
The only guy that did it right (in my opinion)sumarizing the crtic of this movie is Rene from MiamiHerald..."Smith is a cute kid, but fundamentally miscast. The protagonist in the original film was in his mid-teens, a young man in the The only guy that did it right (in my opinion)sumarizing the crtic of this movie is Rene from MiamiHerald..."Smith is a cute kid, but fundamentally miscast. The protagonist in the original film was in his mid-teens, a young man in the making. Here, prepubescent seventh-graders enact heart-thumping romance and bone-thumping beat-downs, which makes for uncomfortable viewing. Ironically, Smith radiates a confidence that makes him seem less vulnerable than his predecessor, Ralph Macchio. " Expand
BrandonB.Jun 16, 2010
I just want to ask Chad S. what the f*ck a "celluloidal time capsule" is.
EliJ.Jun 15, 2010
Terrible, just like the first movie. i know the first karate kid was an 80s movie but I've always thought that movie was total trash. Goonies was my childhood movie, and im sure that will be re created pretty soon as well.
1 of 4 users found this helpful
PhilGJun 14, 2010
Tiresome travelogue; less well acted and written than the original.
DaveJ.Jun 14, 2010
Horrible, boring movie. Will Smith needs to stop pimping his annoying kid. Sorry Will but he's only your little angel, to everyone else he just a spoiled brat born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
BenH.Jun 12, 2010
Kind of disappointing.
JamesBJun 12, 2010
I can't believe I wasted 2 hours on this film...The Karate Kid (Jaden Smith), played a horribly acted role in a unrealistic tooth pick physique. Horrible acting and skinny kid aside, the mainstream pop music added to this film made I can't believe I wasted 2 hours on this film...The Karate Kid (Jaden Smith), played a horribly acted role in a unrealistic tooth pick physique. Horrible acting and skinny kid aside, the mainstream pop music added to this film made Bruce Lee roll over in his grave. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
DreP.Jun 11, 2010
The original was pretty meaningful to me as a preteen, and this came across with a lot less impact and intensity (although it definitely had its moments). A 6 on its own, but I rated this in comparison to the original Karate Kid. It pales in The original was pretty meaningful to me as a preteen, and this came across with a lot less impact and intensity (although it definitely had its moments). A 6 on its own, but I rated this in comparison to the original Karate Kid. It pales in comparison. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful