The Killer Inside Me

8.0

1. Mar 27, 2011
    If you enjoy watching likeable characters beaten to death, then this is your movie. Why nice actors like these folks would agree to make this movie speaks to the craft itself, where some people will take any role for money. I hated this movie!
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    Great Film. dark and Mysterious yet light and unknowingly distorted.

Casey Affleck is brilliant in this and is showing signs of being a truly great actor.
  3. Oct 19, 2010
    I highly recommend this film to anyone who isn't upset by depictions of some of the uglier things that happen in real life, or who aren't so far detached from themselves that they can't actually feel the killer that we bury deep inside ourselves, or are so dishonest that they can't admit that it is there. If you can't identify with Casey Affleck in this film you are either a liar, aI highly recommend this film to anyone who isn't upset by depictions of some of the uglier things that happen in real life, or who aren't so far detached from themselves that they can't actually feel the killer that we bury deep inside ourselves, or are so dishonest that they can't admit that it is there. If you can't identify with Casey Affleck in this film you are either a liar, a coward, or you suffer from psychosis.
    The killer in me is the killer in you.
    The execution of the ending (though not the events) left a little to be desired, and the special effects in the final scene were low quality.
  4. Jan 1, 2011
    A film that does not try to give the viewer a sermon about what is right and what is wrong. Strangely, you feel a certain sympathy for the protagonist although he gives you no reason to like him, at all. I found myself intrigued and captivated by the acting and the whole atmosphere that was created with a calm subtlety that has to be praised.
  5. Jan 12, 2011
    As Smashing Pumpkins sings... "The killer in you is the killer in me."

As Smashing Pumpkins sings... "The killer in you is the killer in me."

This adaptation of Jim Thompson's 1952 novel is a brutal tale of a small-town Texas sheriff's deputy who secretly doubles as a serial killer with a penchant for beating women. Lou Ford, played by Casey Affleck, is a sociopath and we slowly watch as his sexual and violent nature takes control. Affleck delivers a masterful, mesmerizing performance here. He is sufficiently chilling and devious, nailing the role perfectly, and yet finds a way to somehow evoke a small amount of pity for his character. His performance is not the only one of note, though. Jessica Alba and Kate Hudson, in particular, offer stellar performances in their supporting roles. Alba's Southern accent surprised me in its authenticity and Hudson's naive fiance is perfectly executed. The entire cast is at the top of its game.

I would be remiss not to specifically mention just how violent The Killer Inside Me is. This is not the kind of gratuitous violence and sex you see scene after scene in an action film. This is dark, gritty, raw and disturbing. Violence against women, especially when sexuality is thrown in, can be a very touchy subject for some. However, the film never exploits this for shock and awe. Lou Ford just simply is who he is, as explained through flashbacks into his childhood. All of that being said, some scenes are quite graphic and could be difficult for viewers to stomach. Personally, I enjoyed the reality of the director's vision. It was a stylish and beautifully shot film, and these few scenes of an extremely violent nature were necessary.

The Killer Inside Me shows us just how normal someone with violent tendencies can be. Do we really know that co-worker or friend as well as we think we do? Perhaps most of us are actually capable of such terrible acts. We are human after all. And if nothing else this film should serve as a chilling reminder of that.

1. Reviewed by: Pam Grady
    Jul 27, 2014
    Thompson's brutality and misogyny are on full display, but it is too slick, there is little suspense or energy, and the whole affair has a curiously embalmed quality.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    Jul 27, 2014
    A streamlined script might have helped. Curran and Winterbottom lose themselves in the soupy business of union shenanigans, an internal investigation and Lou's intervention in a troubled boy's life, but the added complications -- and the talk, talk, talk they require -- take away from the disquieting core of Thompson's story.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jul 27, 2014
    Winterbottom's adaptation of the novel is spellbinding cinema, with all the atmosphere, technical excellence and expert pacing the British director is known for.