The King and I

3.8

1. MichelleP.
    Mar 13, 2003
    I remember when I was in 3rd grade and I saw this movie. Even then, when you excpected me to be the type of little girl who didn't care about much and loved this movie, I didn't like it. AT ALL. This is an animated disaster that WANTS to be a classic. It was...well WEIRD. It WANTS to be the old musical, but it did a poor job. None of the songs were the least bit catchy, it had I remember when I was in 3rd grade and I saw this movie. Even then, when you excpected me to be the type of little girl who didn't care about much and loved this movie, I didn't like it. AT ALL. This is an animated disaster that WANTS to be a classic. It was...well WEIRD. It WANTS to be the old musical, but it did a poor job. None of the songs were the least bit catchy, it had unlikable characters, unlikable setting, and unlikable animation. If you asked me, this movie WANTED to be Anastasia, another animated movie which I thought was wonderfully done. Expand
  2. EyeOnGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jul 16, 2003
    Not actually that bad; just a little listless and ho-hum. Same goes for the Foster-Chow version. The Iron Giant was better.

1. Even the Richard Rich-directed animation -- except for some nice but gratuitous computer-generated walking statues and dramatic ocean waves -- is not appreciably better than Saturday morning cartoons.
  2. It's a puzzlement how so many pros could have so wrecked one of the most beloved, hummably familiar movie musicals in the Rodgers and Hammerstein repertoire.
  3. For adults, the film does, at least, offer up most of the lovely, schmaltzy Rodgers and Hammerstein score. Even here, though, the pleasure comes with a wearying price tag.