6.1

1. Mar 23, 2011
    As I key this the score for this fine movie is 56....can you believe it. I guess it just shows that the smart among us don't write reviews. Good script, tight action, fine acting by foreign actors and a compelling ending make this one of the best action/drama made. Granted the story is balanced and thus fails to present the Red, White and Blue as all good, all knowing, but the balance of the tale is outstanding and is clearly superior to any other movie of this general type. Name one that you think is comparable, then ask how layered the plot is in your assumed favorite. Here we start with a massive bombing and move into cultural relationships, a clever cop/buddy movie, great action, and a story that makes sense almost all of the way. Good flick. Expand
  2. Oct 1, 2010
    A good movie that really shows what was going on in the Middle East at the time it was made.
  3. Apr 2, 2014
    The Kingdom is a taught thriller with some scenes of true suspense and intensity. It features some very well-made and well-crafted war scenes, almost bringing back memories of "Black Hawk Down". However, it doesn't have the same atmosphere as or feel to it: this film is very impersonal, while "Black Hawk Down" engaged our emotions more. It screams more "commercial blockbuster" than "engaging war film". Expand

Overall, the film is smart and engaging, and if it plays a little on our fears of the next big terrorist attack, it does so without feeling exploitative.
    Matthew Michael Carnahan's caffeinated script isn't much concerned with balance, but it gets some anyway, from the resonant images of culture clash that Berg catches on the fly and a remarkable performance from Ashraf Barhom.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Berg's movie is no more than an action movie with an exotic backdrop. That would be fine, if only the movie were more exciting. It succeeds neither as a pointed political commentary nor as a taut thriller.