8.3

1. Mar 24, 2012
    The King's Speech has its moments like the powerful ending but the movie is in low gear until the last 15 mintues. yawning is something you won't escape from in this film and that is were the movie goes wrong.
  2. Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and HBC are great, and Firth probably deserves the Oscar coming his way. However, I found this movie to be formulaic in the worst way. There's no deviating from your typical biopic machinations, and you can probably figure out what's going to happen after the first 20 minutes. Life-long friendships, a cured character, etc.
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth better in A Single Man; and if Rush beats Bale for the Oscar, that will be BS.
  3. Feb 6, 2011
    The movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. OtherThe movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. Other than that, most of the story felt as if it could have been told in twenty minutes, not two hours. With that being said, Colin Firth was spectacular in his role and deserves best actor. I was rooting for him to successfully nail it the entire movie, and when he finally did, it was glorious. I just wish I could have been rooting for something moderately interesting. Black Swan all the way. Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2011
    You best start believing in bad movies, you're in one. A movie about a prince becoming king, a man coming to terms with his past and overcoming a personal struggle to be able to lead a country and a people at the brink of war. Should be a great movie, oscar worthy indeed. But not in this case, this movie never delivers. This is a movie you would watch on a sunday afternoon, when you'reYou best start believing in bad movies, you're in one. A movie about a prince becoming king, a man coming to terms with his past and overcoming a personal struggle to be able to lead a country and a people at the brink of war. Should be a great movie, oscar worthy indeed. But not in this case, this movie never delivers. This is a movie you would watch on a sunday afternoon, when you're sitting on the couch and are just too lazy to change the channel. Expand
  5. Nov 17, 2011
    This is one movie that I simply did my best to try to like, but it wasn't enough. I just didn't enjoy it. It was really slow at times and even though there were some good/okay parts, the rest is just pure unenjoyable content. I will say I liked some of the acting, and the film's cinematography was gorgeous. I'm not saying it's the worst film ever made, this is just one film I respectfully dislike.
  6. Mar 26, 2012
    No matter how masterful the acting was, this movie just didn't wow me. The movie took time and care to make sure every aspect of the film was excellent, however, the script, just put me to sleep. The ending was riveting the first time I saw it, but hardly moved me at all the second time around. I don't dislike this film, but giving it best picture was such a discernment. BOOOOO.
  7. Feb 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fine film. The acting is good, so is the directing, the camera, the cinematography, the music, the costume design, set design, editing... all of it is good. The story was a great story. Why a 6 then? In a paradoxical way, just because of the above. It is good but not great. And worst of all: everything is predictable. No surprises ever come. 1) A disabled tormented man who shouldn't have to be King is actually going to be King. 2) He suffers from a stutter no one can help him cure. 3) Until he meets with an unorthodox yet far superior to any specialist in the Kingdom therapist that helps him. 4) Astonishing progress from day one. 5) We see them work. 6) They have an argument and stop seeing each other. 7) They make peace and work again. 8) Big day comes and everything works out great. The movie is just that linear and predictable. So I didn't dislike it. But I didn't like it. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. any movie is defined by the idea behind it or the story based on,
    in this movie we don't have an idea, we have a story,
    the problem is the story is limited,
    so there is a major element lacking from the movie, the story is one-sided, short story stretched into a two hours movie,
    and of course everything have good side and a bad side,
    the good side is that the execution is perfect,Colin Firth was very good and the directing was perfect.
    and the bad side is that the entire story is about shining a light on people with speech impediment and a royal family members with flaws, and this is as far as the movie can go,
    not saying it's bad but didn't worth the hype.
  9. Jun 20, 2013
    Boring,dull,lifeless picture about a guy who shudders. Pretty good ending but the rest of the movie was a drag. Firth does his best with the acting. But I can't get over the fact that this is universal acclaim. A man who studders and can't do a speech. I don't get it.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.