8.3

1. Jan 30, 2011
    Okay, after looking at some of these reviews I seem to be way off the mark on this one!! But have you ever sat through a movie and from the get go, just not believed a thing that the actors were doing and saw them just as actors acting?? Well thats exactly how I felt watching this!!! Colin Firth was spitting and stuttering on cue while throwing temper tantrums that would make a 3 year old look childish and Geoffrey Rush was looking oh so very Caricature. It just felt like an over acted, staged, Oscar Hungry play....not a movie!! The entire audience seemed blown away after the film but I just didnt get it!!! Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2010
    Two acting titans: Rush and Firth; every mature character actor in the UK; Helena!; the Brits do it again. The film was a delight to watch and the viewer is given a wonderful reprieve from the simplistic, the empty,the 3D onslaught!
  3. Dec 31, 2010
    An absolutely outstanding movie! I cannot remember when an audience spontaneously broke out in applause at the end of a movie! Truly, an incredible film. Kudos to the entire cast and crew! Thank you for making going to the movies fun again!
  4. Dec 14, 2010
    Beautiful story describing the courage and relationship between these two men. The acting and dialog was what you come to see and hear. Such a delight to watch, it brought tears to my eyes.
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie is rich and profound with top notch cinematography, with powerful acting by Collin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. The best picture winner was certainly chosen. However, I was disappointed to see the Brit king having no real plot twists or obstacles that could have transformed the movie into a engaging one.
  6. Feb 28, 2011
    Wow, honestly one of the best movies I have ever watched, the performances were absolutely crazy. Colin Firth has always been a great actor in my eyes, and this just proved it to the rest of the world. This movie definitely deserved the Oscar that it won, and not mention Geoffrey Rush was outstanding in this one also.
  7. Jan 2, 2011
    Prince Albert of York (Colin Firth) had a debilitating stammer that became particularly problematic when he ascended to the throne as King George VI. His loving wife (Helena Bonham Carter) found an upstart speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) to help him address his fears. Even through the struggles, the story is told with an upbeat slant and plenty of humor. The cast is uniformly strong. The only complaint might be that itâ Expand
  8. Jan 2, 2011
    There aren't very many negative things to say about this exceptionally well-crafted film, as Hooper injects much-need flair into the direction and all of the leads turn in solid, if not great performances. It was a little too hoighty-toighty for my taste though, and I wish I connected to the characters a bit more. But overall, it's nearly impossible to dislike.
  9. Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and HBC are great, and Firth probably deserves the Oscar coming his way. However, I found this movie to be formulaic in the worst way. There's no deviating from your typical biopic machinations, and you can probably figure out what's going to happen after the first 20 minutes. Life-long friendships, a cured character, etc.
    DULL. And frankly, I liked Firth
    better in A Single Man; and if Rush beats Bale for the Oscar, that will be BS. Expand
  10. Aug 10, 2011
    A success this big only comes when you bring three of the best active British actors together to make an extremely British movie. Its sets are beautifully detailed and the scenes between Firth and Rush show great chemistry, as well
  11. Feb 24, 2011
    i dont usually dig these kind of flicks.. but i couldnt ignore the reviews .. i watched and i agree - cinema at its finest.. a drama yes, historical yes.. all the ingredients for a boring movie - yes.. but it transcends all that.. powerful story.. amazing acting, great cinematography.. I even got a little choked up at the end.
  12. Dec 29, 2010
    Despite the excellent acting, I found the movie one dimensional and slightly tedious. There really were few highs or lows to the film. Another boring British period piece to me.
  13. Dec 31, 2010
    First of all this film is a clinic on dramatic performance. The fact that some of the small supporting roles are filled by talent such as Guy Pearce and Michael Gambon should provide some hint in regards to the quality of this movie. Colin Firth does an extraordinary job of conveying the frustrations of George VI in regards to his family issues as well as being a key public figure who has difficulty speaking. At this point I would be more surprised if Geoffrey Rush didn't deliver a knockout performance but he didn't steal the show the way that I expected him to. I feel that this movie validated my suspicion that Helena Bonham Carter's true acting chops have been smothered as of late by too many Tim Burton/Johnny Depp projects. Not to say that she wasn't excellent in Sweeney Todd but movies such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland didn't allow her to truly shine the way that she does in this outing. There is a lot of subtle humor throughout the film which does a great job of lightening up some of the otherwise dark moments. I feel like the movie was paced just right where other award season trophy grabbing attempts would have stretched the movie out needlessly in an attempt to feign grandiose and significance. Ultimately this movie had all of the elements for an extremely enjoyable film and I would be genuinely surprised if it didn't pick up at least a few pieces of golden hardware this year. Expand
  14. Jan 19, 2011
    Excellent acting and directing. Well-paced. Subtle in its dramatic appeal. One of the year's best. In fact, there were very few flaws in this film... and I am very picky!
  15. Nov 27, 2010
    Brilliant film. They all deserve Oscar nominations!
    The story is true and real.
    The costumes amazing.

Go and see it today.
    Best film of the weekend!
  16. Dec 30, 2010
    It's not often that the audience claps at the end of a film - but The King's Speech is certainly deserving. In addition to the remarkable performances all around, the pacing - not rushed, the cinematography and the brilliant script combine to make this one of the best films of the year (and beyond).
  17. Feb 2, 2011
    For sure, the film is predicable, but the brilliant performances and the stylish production are more than enough to make up for it. Colin Firth is masterful: no lesser man could have achieved what he has in this film. Geoffrey Rush is hilarious and brilliant, as usual. Helena Bonham Carter gives depth to a character that has very little screen time, no small feat at all. The people will love it, the critics will love it, and, perhaps most obviously, the Oscars will love it to death. Expand
  18. Jan 23, 2011
    When a film makes you feel the pain of the character just by watching his face, then you say, "wait this a movie", you know the acting is superb. This is an outstanding movie and I am surprised it received a R rating.
  19. Mar 30, 2011
    worst movie ever nothing happened i mean he said a speech omg ! i think the cartoonm i drew in 9th grade on my desk was more interesting i started counting popcorn
  20. Jan 13, 2012
    The King Speech is an unique movie because is about a man dealing with problems looking for a solution, and that makes it very close to everyday life. Which adds strength to the movie is that this man is the King of England during the interwar period, and his problem is stuttering. But the King is not alone; he has a determined wife, who wont rest until her husband is completely cured. Because of this, the couple goes to visit an unconventional speech therapist that is also a failed interpreter of Shakespeare. Here lies the brightness of the film, because of a doubled sided situation, irony and reality struggle and work together to take the plot all the way to the climax.
    With excellent direction, strong script, unbelievable performances and occasional jokes, the movie keeps you hooked for almost two hours. Its also remarkable the form in which self improvement and team work, leads to overcome a disability; which, by the way, is awfully hard to develop in a movie. And if you add to this, the evolution of a character with a repressed past, to one that can manage an entire country; you get an Academy Award winner.
  21. Oct 28, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the best films of the past decade. The thing that stood out to me the most was the absolutely superb performances by everyone in the cast, across the line. Obviously, Firth, Bonham Carter, and Rush were exquisite and definitely deserved their Oscar nominations (and Firth his win). Subtle, yet beautiful performance by everyone that create strong connections between the characters and audience. The screenplay was written beautifully and is quite refreshingly funny and endearing, something that historic dramas often struggle with. Technically, also, the film was top-notch, with excellence in art design and costumes, but also some beautiful cinematography and an amazing score by the always brilliant Alexandre Desplat. "The King's Speech" has it all - brilliance in writing, performance and technique, which is anything and everything a film could wish for. BRAVO! Expand
  22. Feb 6, 2011
    Not often do you see a movie without action, sex, or violence and sit glued to your chair hanging on every word. And quite honestly, this is what The King's Speech delivers. The dialogue will leave you speechless. The ensemble cast of great actor's takes you to that special place. If this movie doesn't win the OSCAR in just about every major category there is no justice in Hollywood. Don't walk, rather run, to see this cinematography genius. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2010
    It is hard to find a flaw in a film with an incredible cast delivering award winning performances, beautiful cinematography, direction, costumes and musical score and an interesting story packed with drama, humour and suspense.
  24. Feb 4, 2011
    Virtually impeccable and incredibly engaging. I arrived 20 minutes late and had terrible seats right under the screen but I was still completely enthralled by the plot. All the acting was superbly subtle and deep (except maybe Helena Bonham Carter, whose character I never really 'got') and despite the fact I knew what was going to happen I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth as he walked through Buckingham Palace towards the radio microphone at the end. The whole thing was constructed perfectly and I hope it wins all the Oscars its nominated for - it truly deserves them, more than any film I've seen in years. Expand
  25. Aug 14, 2011
    I never was a fan of dramas so I didn't have high expectations for this movie. But then this turned out to be one of the greatest films I ever watched. Colin Firth gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. I can see why he won Best Actor at the Oscars. I highly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone. A pure masterpiece.
  26. Jan 26, 2011
    I was overwhelm by Rush performance. The story is full of hope and courage. Although the end can be foreseen, it keeps you till the end with the pleasure of taking port of the 'king' emotions. It's a nice movie.
  27. Feb 11, 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's amazing. Flawless acting and settings immerse you. Beautifully done, deserving of it's 12 academy award nominations. Social Network ro King's Speech? very tough call
  28. Feb 2, 2011
    Being asked what your favorite movie is or what is the best movie of all time is, most would say the Godfather, I would say that it has not been made yet, but for this movie to trump my favorite, The Shawshank Redemption, that is saying something. This was a bro-mance movie at base value but the performances delivered, it made me laugh and cry as cliche as it is but it really hit home with me personally, and it tugged at my heart strings. This was truly a remarkable movie, and it made me smile even more knowing that a movie about Facebook was not the only contender in the race for awards. Expand
  29. Feb 4, 2011
    I liked this film a lot. Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush are both outstanding in The King's Speech. I was cringing every time Bertie went to speak. He had me stopped in my tracks. A good movie as well. Although, I was slightly disappointed with it. I had read such great things about the movie, and it was good, but I felt it was not best picture worthy. I think the acting carries the film, but the film itself is not astonishing. I think it runs around an 80 or 90. The cinematography was bland, scenarios short-lived, and the dialogue was too polished. I wish I could have seen more Jeffrey Rush as well. Expand
  30. Mar 3, 2011
    Truly masterful acting throughout and a well-paced script that didn't lag at any point. Capped by a moving last 10 minutes that made me teary. Lived more than up to the hype.
  31. Jun 16, 2011
    Driven by strong performances by Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter, the King's Speech is by far the best film of 2010. The score is incredibly rich and emotional. The set is restricted and narrow, and gives one the feeling of what George VI is going through. This is a superb period piece, and a great biopic. It deserves all the awards that it one, especially the Oscar for Best Picture. Not seeing The King's Speech will be the biggest cinematic mistake of your life. Expand
  32. Mar 24, 2012
    The King's Speech has its moments like the powerful ending but the movie is in low gear until the last 15 mintues. yawning is something you won't escape from in this film and that is were the movie goes wrong.
  33. Jan 25, 2011
    Great story, great acting-- but I don't think I'm scratching any new surfaces not covered in other reviews. My only minor complaint is visually the film is a little lacking. Personally, one of the things I like most about true-history films are the establishing shots of the area in that time. Wide shots seemed few and far between in this movie, but there's more close-ups than I've seen in quite a while. If you are looking for stunning visuals of pre-war England this is not your movie-- but it doesn't do much to dampen that spirit of an already excellent film. Expand
  34. Nov 29, 2010
    A wonderful story of friendship and how families operate. Colin Firth delivers another incredible performance, like he seemingly does every year. His relationships with his wife (Carter) and speech therapist (Rush) are so vivid an palpable, and I love how the very rich history is brought to life using their lens. It's also really interesting to get a glimpse into young Queen Elizabeth's life.
  35. Jan 5, 2011
    The man in the top hat looks so doleful. He has the aspect of somebody who's just been handed down a death sentence by his physician. Crazy as this may sound, but if you were to propose a litany of hypotheticals toward the man in the top hat, he would probably choose cancer and an ordinary life, as he slowly approaches the mic. Unfortunately for him, appearances to the contrary, the doleful man is fit as a fiddle, and because of his birthright, slated to live a quotidian-free life, without his ever asking. After all, he's the Duke of York, and the words in those royal hands compose not a prescription for pills, but a keynote speech, one that would live in infamy, as the words would get stuck in his throat before a capacity crowd gathered at Wembley Stadum for the Empire Exhibition of 1932. Adding insult to injury, the duke's implosion is being broadcasted over the wireless, in which his oratorical impotence, no doubt, will make him a laughingstock all across the UK. No longer can he get away with remaining silent like his predecessors, stoic monarchs who lived during the age when simply being was enough. Stammering in the fog, the duke is literally turning green. Similar to Stanley Donen's "Singin' in the Rain", in which "The Jazz Singer" forced the conversion of "The Dueling Cavaliers" into a talkie, here too, the advent of sound changes the game the game for all the royal players consecrated around their means of subsistence. Much to the duke's great consternation, a speech impediment, thanks to the emerging technology, is now a matter of public record, and as a result, the future king's ability to "perform" his role, is put into question by his British subjects who are no longer mere subjects, but instead, comprise of an audience. His father, George V, suggests the basis behind the analogy between these two films, when he tells his younger son that the halcyon days of waving from moving carriages are over, in which the hand gesture, the simple execution of a purely unadulterated kinetic act, can no longer compete with the human voice. Like Norma Talmadge, the alleged inspiration behind Jean Hagen's character Lina Lamont, an idiosyncratic voice could have ended his career. Lucky for George V, god saved the republic by blessing him with an instrument that's positively stentorian. The outgoing king goes on to complain about having been transformed into an actor, and therefore, obligated to make a connection with his people. The king is wrong, of course, since radio or no radio, he already was a performer, a silent one. His success at mastering the new medium puts him in the same league as Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich, just to name a few. Verbal communication merely raises the stakes on the royal acting racket. Too bad for the duke that his job wasn't a simply a matter of hiring Debbie Reynolds to stand behind a camera have her read lines in-sync with his moving mouth. The sudden foregrounding of the voice over gesture put the future king on notice. Comparably speaking, soon after Al Jolson uttered the line, "You ain't heard nothing yet," not a peep was heard out of countless leading lights from the silent film era, most notably, Gloria Swanson, who played Norma Desmond in Billy Wilder's "Sunset Boulevard", the ultimate poison-pen letter to all things Hollywood. At Westminster Abbey, on the eve of his coronation, the duke brings up the unfortunate case of George the third, the king, who like the fictional siren, went mad, and as he relays his worries over being abdicated from the throne like his ancestor was to the Australian, the speech therapist Lionel Logue, the method to the unlicensed doctor's madness comes into sharp focus. Perceived to be anti-establishment, due to the quack's insistence that he be considered an equal of the duke's throughout their sessions, "The King's Speech", with its echoes of the anarchy-minded "Queen(The)", diverges from the Stephen Frears film with an agenda that belies the outward appearance of irreverence towards the crown. Largely because the speech therapist takes the liberty of using the duke's informal name, likewise, the audience, being privy to Birdie's Achilles Heel, considers themselves to be the king's equal, as well, implicated as such through the shared experience of public speaking, a bane to many, which unites the rich and famous with the anonymous. As Birdie frets over his public image and public opinion, Lionel stealthily seizes and occupies St. Edward's chair; we're there too, represented by the names carved into the wood, but then Lionel, speaking for himself, and on behalf of us(the metaphoric interlopers who crashed the seat), incites the king to kick out the Aussie and the transplanted moviegoer out of his rightful place on the coronation chair. In effect, the audience participates in their own marginalization, as they cheer on Birdie's self-realization that he's better than the common man. Expand
  36. Jan 13, 2011
    C'mon people. You're just so happy with this movie because there's hardly any good movies this year. There is nothing surprising in this movie. You know the whole story and what's gonna happen from the trailer. Firth should win the oscar, but the movie is predictable and waisted five subplots that could of made the way too obviously predictable ending more powerful. Every character is one-note besides the two main characters. A nice hbo film. But not a great film worth winning Oscars or Golden Globes. Definitely an Emmy. Expand
  37. Feb 21, 2011
    Duke of York, has stammer & speech problems, goes to unconventional therapist, King/Father dies, Brother abdicates, made King, has to overcome disability.
    Wonderful film which is moving, warm & funny with superb performances from both Colin Firth & Geoffrey Rush.
    Authenticity & casting are spot on with good support from Helena Bonham Carter & Guy Pearce although wasn't too convinced by
    Timothy Spall's Churchill. Expand
  38. Apr 27, 2011
    story is excellent. screenplay is almost perfect. direction is awesome. cast performances are splendid. climax is motivating. cinematography is eye popping. camera work is ok. music is rare and soothing in the climax. everything is perfect in this. just a hinch of hiccups in screenplay during the second half beginning. comments: slight hiccups in screenplay and not perfect camera movement.
  39. Lyn
    Jan 4, 2011
    Colin Firth is just as amazing as you've heard. And like a juicy book about historical figures, this film will make you want to find out more about these characters with whom (unless you're a real Anglophile) you might not have been very familiar. In my opinion, not quite as good as "The Queen," however.
  40. Mar 5, 2011
    Very interesting movie to watch! Never knew much about British leadership before WWII, but this movie inspired me to find out. Interesting experience for those who want to find out some things more about World's history.
  41. Jul 10, 2011
    Yes, the acting was great and deserving of an oscar, the story was not. This was a fine movie if you are not looking for any real climax and enjoy a very slow pace, this film is an intricate look at an individual's struggle with public speaking. There are no real highs or lows, nothing that is particularly dramatic and therefore was relatively flat, the acting was excellent and there was just enough of a script to keep you watching without losing interest. If going to movies is about entertainment and walking out ot the theater feeling like you had seen a memorable film this is not one of those. I could never see myself watching this movie again, this does not mean that it was bad, just that it was your typical "Picture of the Year". Expand
  42. May 31, 2011
    This film will enjoy but that does not make his good performances brilliant believe they have the ability to hide the poor quality of direcion by Tom Hooper, the film has a nice stance
  43. May 12, 2013
    Overall “The King’s Speech” is a great movie. The story is entertaining and the actors do a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. When you bring in the fact that this movie is based off of a true story you have the stage set for a great movie that truly deserves some attention. The lighting, camera work, and costumes help contribute to the setting and create a wonderful environment. All of these elements are the reason why I enjoyed “The Kings Speech” it didn’t pull my heartstrings but it kept me entertained and it will do the same for you. Expand
  44. Jan 21, 2011
    I don't get to see movies like this too often. While the pacing was slow in parts, I felt like it was intentional due to the need to have the viewer "feel" King George VI's own slow pace. Otherwise, the acting, script, locations and emotion were flawless. The effort made by the recently-defunct UK Film Council to get this picture made and distributed was Herculean.
  45. Mar 12, 2011
    "Truly Moving , uplifting , and completely brilliant from start to a glorious finish. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush give the best performances of there career. Immersible and stylishly clever , Kings Speech will have you interested and loving the film , by closing credits" .. A++
  46. Feb 2, 2011
    This film is enjoyable from beginning to end, which is all the more amazing when you realise that the plot could basically be summarised in a single sentence. The performances are all riveting and I can attest that the stories of spontaneous ovations in theatres all over are backed by my experience here in Sydney. If The King's Speech is beaten by any picture (especially the extremely overrated Black Swan) at the Oscars, I will be very disappointed. Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2010
    Let me say this in a simple statement: Tom Hooper's The King's Speech is in my opinion the best film of 2010. Director Tom Hooper's (known for John Adams) The King's Speech is a British period piece depicting the speech impediment of King George IV (Coling Firth). After the death of his father and the scandalous resignation of his brother King Edward VIII, George is abruptly given the royal position. Taking on the country on the brink of World War II, the King, with the help of speech therapist Lionel Lugue (Geoffrey Rush), must overcome his stammer to address a country ready for battle. Let's start with script, The King's Speech is a light-hearted and passionate approach to a small aspect in one of the most major events in history (I am of course referring to World War II). The film's dialogue masterfully combines elements of wit with serious dialogue. The use of Rush as comic relief provides a nice balance between the otherwise grim deterioration of Britain's parliament and the protagonist's struggle to find success. The King's Speech succeeds in combining more than an one-dimensional emotion. Performance-wise, Colin Firth steals the show. Coming from his nomination in A Single Man, Firth returns with an Oscar in mind. Firth plays his role as George VI with apparent repressed emotion and humor that still maintains the character's dignity. Geoffrey Rush, who plays George's speech therapist, and Helena Bolena Carter, the future Queen Mother, respectively deserve a nomination for their support of Firth's character. What makes The King's Speech my "best film of 2010," does not solely lay in its mechanics unlike The Social Network. Rather, the film blends great film making with a story full of inspiration with no cliche present. Firth's character is a character that most will sympathize as we can all see ourselves in King George VI's personal struggle. Although somewhat predictable, The King's Speech will grab you, inspire you, and uplift your soul. Expand
  48. Dec 18, 2010
    It isnt very often that a crowd pleasing film and a work of art go hand and hand but led by performances that are sure to be nominated for Academy Awards, "The King's Speech" is delightful and is a wonderful film to see for the holidays.
  49. Jan 14, 2011
    Those who say that there are few if any surprises in this film are correct. Nonetheless, the dialog and the performances are so good, that I consider this one of the two best films I've seen this year. (The other is The Social Network.) The audience spontaneously broke into well-deserved applause at the end of the film.
  50. Dec 30, 2010
    After seeing the boring "Tron" and "Narnia" films, I was in the mood for a movie with some real acting in it. I loved this film. I knew that Firth and Rush would be great together, but I was taken by surprise by the cinematography as well. It was fun being inside the castles and palaces. Colin Firth is really on a roll lately, Geoffrey Rush is amazing as always, and the supporting cast is as good as it gets. Highly recommended. Expand
  51. Nov 26, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films you will ever see. Sadly though people are shallow and dont see the bigger picture that the film represents. The acting was wonderful and the entire film was simply a master piece.
  52. Feb 16, 2011
    One of the best movies of the year second only to Social Network. The King's Speech is about a king overcoming his stutterâ
  53. Jan 29, 2011
    As far as film's about speech impediments go, you can't go wrong with this. The banter is top notch. Firth and Rush are amazing together and the film keeps tempo.
  54. Jan 28, 2011
    What can I say, an Oscar worthy thanks to the performance from Colin Firth, great acting, well directed and an amazing true story. Usually, I hate movies about politics, but I gotta say, this one manage me to keep me entertained. I never saw a movie with so much emotions from the actors. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter delivered a great performance as well. The main reason that I liked this movie it's because I really got involved in the story. When was the last time that you were deeply involved in a movie ? In this case, '' The King's Speech '' is one of them. Expand
  55. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Brilliant acting all around and brilliant directing. It is so nice to see a movie that doesn't have bloodshed, special effects all over the place, gratuitous sex, just a great story and great acting.
  56. USG
    Nov 21, 2011
    This is a fascinating story told in a unique perspective with a distinct, admirable style of cinematography that is memorable. It's surprising to see what can be accomplished with such a budget.
  57. Jan 22, 2011
    An amazing and well put together movie. Rush and Firth lead the helm with their superb skills, but so many others did so well in this film(Carter and Spall!). The cinematography and overall look of the film is exceptional. There is real tension and emotion here. It's a great work, in practically all aspects, but this film is not for everyone since it is devoid of much physical action, but if you can overlook that is might be the film of the year. Expand
  58. Nov 28, 2010
    Great film. Beautifully written, acted and directed. Colin Firth did an amazing job and I couldn't agree more that he deserves a Best Actor nom and Rush a Best Supporting nom. I highly recommend seeing this film or you'll regret it come next March.
  59. Dec 28, 2010
    The King's Speech is visual stunning with it's fantastic cinematography, dramatic performances from the cast, and it's perfect pacing. The story set back in the early 1930s when World War II was beginning. King George V was serious ill and when he died, he gave the throne to his oldest son. Unfortunately, George's oldest son was dethroned by the Parliment and gave the spot to the next oldest son, (Berty, Colin Firth). Berty became King George VI and carrying on his shoulder the weight of going to war. Giving a wartime speech is clearly very important at the time but it was proven very difficult since Berty had a stammering problem ever since he was little. His wife, Elizabeth, seeked help from a "speech therapist", Lionel (Geoffrey Rush). Although he was helping the king of England, Lionel treats Berty as if he was a normal guy. Earning trust throughout the months from the king, Geoffrey was able to help the king give a decent speech. Predictable, but there wasn't supposed to be any surprises. Colin Firth is perhaps the only actor in Hollywood who can stammer his lines as good as he was in this film. But stammering and pausing in between words isn't going to cut it. Giving an emotional yet humorous performance, Colin Firth has guaranteed himself a spot in this year's Academy Awards. Firth isn't the only one who stood out. His companions Helena Bohem Carter and Geoffrey Rush is probably the best choice for the roles they played. Playing the king's wife and had very little lines, Helena Bohen Carter is still eligible for her second Oscar nomination which she will earn. Geoffrey Rush as a teacher isn't the best idea, but seeing him on screen is gripping in every which way. David Seidler delivered a very top-class script that points towards the Oscars in every direction. Making Colin Firth pausing in between everything he says and Geoffrey Rush's smooth language, Seidler is about to earn himself a first Oscar nomination.
    Tom Hooper directed this without holding back proving himself to be one of the better directors in Hollywood. Making an R-rated film only because of a few F-words shows that he was willing to make the film for what it is, not to get a larger audience. With great knowledge on the era and fantastic style, Tom Hooper is the guy to watch out for.
    Solidly written, beautifully cinematographed, elegantly directed, and perfectly acted, The King's Speech might be the Best Picture contender to look out for (The Social Network).
    OscarBuzz: A lot but here are the major, Best Picture (might win), Best Director (good chance), Best Actor (Colin Firth, might win), Best Supporting Actress (good chance), Best Supporting Actor (Geoffrey Rush, might win), Best Screenplay (good chance) I thought The Social Network was going to definitely win the Best Picture, but after seeing this, I don't know who's going to win anymore. But it is definitely going down to The King's Speech and The Social Network.
  60. Dec 3, 2010
    Nice conversation. I like it so much.Its really A wonderful story of friendship and how families operate.Really very nice.I have no words to describe it.
  61. Dec 8, 2010
    The definitive scene for me is when Bertie breaks down and cries. I can't help but compare it to Firth's brilliant dissolving into tears as George in A Single Man.
    Firth didn't pull out just another crying scene from his bag of acting scenes.
    He's brilliant, Rush's brilliant, HBC perfect.
    Lovely script. Beautiful film that pulls the watcher into the life of Bertie. What he sees. What
    he feels.
    Brilliant all 'roud.
  62. Apr 1, 2011
    I can't believe the hype this movie was receiving. I watched this film with a few friends, and was really not pleased with the actors performances. Colin Firth did not pull off the role.
  63. Dec 15, 2010
    If anyone believes this is a "glimpse into young Queen Elizabeth's life" I have a bridge to sell you. This is just a very well-acted movie with undertones of positive propaganda for an elite group who self-named themselves royalty, king, queen, prince, etc. (If they don't keep up the myth of their specialness who will?! We might remember how the family got rich in the first place: two hundred years of stealing and murder). This movie is a superb piece of cinema nonetheless. It reaches depths of emotion and highs of the best acting seldom seen on the big screen. This is a must see movie. Expand
  64. Dec 22, 2010
    Rush and Firth's performances held this rather long movie together. Fantastic costumes, scenery, dialogue and cinematography took this from a historical film to 2 hours of fun. Rush deserves at LEAST the golden globe.
  65. Mar 12, 2011
    What impels "The King's Speech" is its facility to delineate a punctual biopic without losing its charm and charisma that shimmers, and speaks to the engrossing ardor that encapsulates internal struggle. The painstaking desire to squelch our visceral "stammers" is felt deep within; plaudits of praise is well-deserved.
  66. Dec 22, 2010
    While it may not be the Oscar-perfect film they are touting it to be, it's pretty damn close. Firth and Rush are reason enough to make the film a must-see, but the added bonus of a superb supporting cast, divine sets and cinematography and the best use of swearwords I've ever seen/heart make it a classic. The closing frames of the film did take away from the experience as a whole - A very intimate portrait exposed and pretending to be something it's not. Expand
  67. Dec 26, 2010
    Truly a remarkable movie given that the entire story could be told in a sentence or two, and it's largely predictable. Wonderful, wonderful movie that elicited spontaneous applause from the theater at its conclusion.
  68. Jan 5, 2011
    Definitely a solid film, but is so because of the individual performances and the relationship between Firth and Rush. Not sure if the film itself will have a lasting impact, but I know Firth's character will, as was with his coming out party in A Single Man...
  69. Dec 31, 2010
    Solid all around. Firth is strong and Rush delivers a perf that might win a best supporting oscar in any other year, but not with Bale's turn as dicky ecklund. Too many facial close-ups marred this film for me a bit, yeah, we get it, he's struggling with his stammer. But overall, very professional film.
  70. Jan 4, 2011
    I'm glad, in the end, that this movie took so long to bring to the screen (the Queen Mother asked it not be made until after her death) because this movie belongs to Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Firth has a rare gravitas and elegance to play a royal like few actors alive, and Rush keeps his character slightly off-kilter, without ever slipping into camp or silliness. Bonham-Carter is genius as the Queen Mum - a woman who in life was far from the (figuratively) sterile royal cliche... I like to think of her as a proto-Diana. The movie benefits from the relatively spare set decoration - it would have been so easy to go the usual path and turn the decor into another character... but keeping it wisely in the background, the trio are kept front-and-center, as they should be in a character-driven movie.

You don't have to be a 'film' fan to love this movie. Everyone cheers for an underdog. In sum, this movie lives up to the hype, and coming on the heels of A Single Man and a resume to die for, should firmly cement Firth as one of, if not the, finest actor of his generation.
  71. Feb 10, 2011
    Oh, come on. A movie without action doesn't mean it's bad. The script is very well written, the cast act so well both together and independently and they managed to pull of such a weird sounding plot very well. Why a 9? I know it's based on true events, but they could've gone into more detail with the ending. I never got bored once in this movie, and that is really saying something.
  72. Feb 10, 2011
    Giving a public speech has always been difficult thing to do for most of people. Not everyone could deliver it well, you could simply change your job if it did not suit you, but what if you are a King and everybody waiting and expect something from you. King George VI is the father of Queen Elizabeth II. Thiz is the story about early years of his reign in 1920-1940s. For his difficulty of public speaking, to heal his stammer, he hired an Australian Speech Therapist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) through some unorthodox techniques. Later, in addition to that process they bound to some manhood relationships and find greater meaning in life. The movie directed by Tom Hooper who is known for a movie about the famous Football Club, Leeds United in THE DAMNED UNITED (2009). In thiz film, he used many unusual styles. The cinematography is interesting, in one moment he putting the face of the characters precise in middle of the screen, leaving significant unusual distance. In another moment, he puts the object precisely in the lower left of the screen. Most of the time, everything looks even different, he provides three dimensional view with his concave perspective. It is eccentric but works quite well. Those techniques emphasize the honesty and integrity through its story-telling. But the element that makes thiz movie works really well, it is Colin Firth who is transforming his body and soul to be Duke of York or better known as King George VI. I can feel his effort and weakness clearly in his complex character. No doubt is one of Firth best performances of all-time. The other great role that deserves to be mentioned is Helena Bonham Carter as his wife, Queen Elizabeth. Thiz is one of the rare times I find that she could be so normal, after her previous roles that were mostly gothic. Guy Pearce is quite convincing too as his older brother who was forced to abdicate, Edward VIII. The small but interesting role also comes from Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. Last time, the Director Tom Hooper lifted incredible story about football, he did not get much attention although it was a great movie as well. Now with the same quality of work, plus extraordinary performance from Colin Firth, he surely will get more attention than before. That is the difference when you take the story between football and real monarchy. It needs a great speech to be a great leader, but it needs a great Heart to be a great King.

Visit My Blog on JONNYâ
  73. Jan 28, 2011
    Great acting in a beautifully produced film. Watch it!
  74. Jan 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 8 t´s terrific, that movie is probably excelent and for my, it´s better than socil network. the acting of ruch, the charactor s have shown how mature they are, and the story is absolutely beatiful! Outstanding. and better thn all that 3d crab . Expand
  75. Jan 13, 2011
    Simply superb. It's hard to fault a film that is shot so beautifully, scripted so eloquently and performed breathtakingly across the board. I'm not usually a fan of period dramas, but Tom Hooper has expertly crafted an emotional fable with a fine balance of witty humour and heart wrenching moments. There is simply nothing to criticise, from the awkward opening to the rousing finale, the King's Speech is a delight to behold throughout. Firth naturally delivers a sublime performance, but the support is as equally magnificent. Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush especially simply chew up scenery whenever on screen. Their relationships with the stammering King George a constant highlight. The first film I've seen this year, and what a fine way to begin a year of film. Expand
  76. Feb 12, 2011
    Well... just by giving a 10 out of 10, do I have to say more? Do I have to spell it out for you? At this point it really doesn't matter what I'm gonna say but what you've seen... this movie shows what effort can do... to be more redundant (according to this topic, of course)... this movie is shouting every possible emotion on every character, and believe me, there was no problem on talking here.
    Colin Firth, keeps surprising me with every movie he takes part in. But, talking just in this case, what an amazing performance! Shyness, bad temper, impotence, medical problems, self-concience issues, past traumas, inexperience in some cases, and that sense of great responsability (it resembles to Lion King's Simba for this kind of feeling, ''I cannot be what I am''), all these feelings gathered and mixed in a chaotic way within Colin's character, and every one of them better than the other you've just seen. Perfect, in each and every single way to say it, JUST SAY IT: PERFECT PERFORMANCE, TOTALLY CHAOTICALLY PERFECT. Colin, you've got the whole responsability with your character, and madly well done.
    Geoffrey Rush takes a lot in this movie too, I'm not forgeting him. Of course no. He keeps this chaotic mixture and tranforms it into a perfectly done puzzle of a great King image. A great performance too. Good man, good job! And of course Helena B.Carter, of course... the most believable serious character she've ever done! At first it was such a weird thing to know he was nominated for her supporting role here, because she was always as crazy (in the good way) as Tim Burton... you know what I mean. But here, unstoppable. Like a perfect royal lady must be.
    Music made by the same compositor from the last 2/3 Harry Potter movies (Alexandre Desplat) who is new at this. But he's growing, day by day. Such a good job too.
    No doubts, 12 oscars belong here... KING SIZE.
  77. Jan 17, 2011
    Saw this in an old movie theatre in North London with a very respectful audience, average age 50, where it was respectfully received and much appreciated - albeit without spontaneous applause. All concerned, Firth, Rush, Bonham-Carter, Hooper did a superb job. One of the best of the year.
  78. Jan 17, 2011
    THe thing that I most liked was the acting and sarcasm out of both...the film is a very slow plotted one but still is worth watching. The direction is very peculiar and appropriate for the pacing of the movie. Drama, laughter, rage and pity.
  79. Jan 18, 2011
    Great movie!!! Wonderful acting, beautiful story and director Tom Hooper did a great job. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are brilliant and I highly recommend this movie before Oscar!!
  80. Jan 24, 2011
    I genuinely didn't think I would like this film but I was wrong. The connection between the two lead male actors and brilliant Helena. The film was heart warming and also very funny. It was also great to see a true story that isn't overly dramatized and takes away the realness, at times it seemed as though I was watching a intriguing documentary. Very good.
  81. Jan 20, 2011
    This was a great story and I'm glad it was told. The three primary actors, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth, and Helena Bonham Carter, were amazing. Colin Firth, especially. Colin Firth's performance was one of the best of the year, for sure.
  82. Jan 23, 2011
    Wonderful movie. Sensational acting from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It has everything, humour, drama, history and most of all entertainment. If it doesn't win awards there is definitely something wrong.
  83. Feb 18, 2011
    There is no doubt, that one of the main reasons for this film to be so famous is because of the performances of the actors, who were, let me say, splendid. The king that cannot give a decent speech in front of his people, goes to a miraculous speech therapist that helps him get his voice to lead the nation into war. The acting isnâ
  84. Jan 31, 2011
    It's no mean task to get an audience on the side of a member of the privileged British aristocracy, but masterful screenwriting, acting and direction conspire to ensure just that. A small, very personal story on a grand scale.
  85. Feb 1, 2011
    A certain dramatic and comedic license was adopted for the outstanding film, "The King's Speech", with Mr Logue's grandchildren remarking that the King's unorthodox but highly effective speech therapist never swore in front of the King or ever addressed him by his intimate family name of "Bertie." Geoffrey Rush brilliantly portrays a brash, irreverently witty and staunchly egalitarian Australian healer, unabashed by the elevated status of his patient, sympathetically and convincingly rendered by Colin Firth, as the tormented and acutely shy Duke of York, who stood at the apex of the British aristocracy. The film is engrossing, compelling, poignant and enjoyable.

The actual historical facts, though, also bear some objective examination. The real Lionel George Logue (1880-1953) was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and, after leaving School, studied elocution, music and theatrical acting. He even worked for a time in a gold mine in Kalgoorlie. A Christian Scientist, with some Methodist influences, he devoted himself to healing - treating World War One returned soldiers suffering from shell-shock induced speech impediments. From 1924, he practised speech therapy in Harley Street, London, using fees paid by wealthy clients to accept poorer patients free of charge.

In 1926, the Duke of York consulted him about the Duke's painfully severe stammer. Logue diagnosed poor coordination between larynx and diaphragm, giving the Duke rigorous exercises for one hour's duration each day. Using tongue-twisters, Logue helped the Duke to rehearse his major speeches and coached him for his Coronation in 1937, following the enormously disruptive abdication of Edward VII the previous year, a crisis which almost brought down the British Monarchy itself.

King George VI, as the former Duke became, made Logue a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) in 1937 and elevated him to the rank of Commander (CVO) in 1944. Logue attended the King for the V E Day broadcast on 8 May 1945. Both men retained a friendship for the rest of their lives - with Lionel Logue dying in London on 12 April 1953 (being survived by his three sons) and with the King dying a little more than a year earlier on 6 February 1952 (being survived by his widow and two daughters, one of whom being the present Queen Elizabeth II.)

The totally unexpected accession to the throne by King George VI, who never saw himself as being King in the place of his brother, "David" or Edward VII, depicted the ethical differences between the two brothers. The Duke of Windsor, as he became, was something of a self-indulgent, willful and shallow playboy, who threw everything away for Mrs Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee with a talent for collecting wealthy husbands and who was detested for the rest of her life by the remaining House of Windsor. The Duke of Windsor's hope of an eventual reconciliation with his own family was never realized and he was to spend the rest of his life, aimlessly wandering Europe with his domineering paramour, until his death. His brother, King George VI, resolutely shouldered the burden of ruling Britain during the darkest days of World War Two and accepted his elevation to the Monarchy with a courageous sense of duty, however much he dreaded the responsibilities he was expected to discharge. A heavy smoker, his death was caused by a lung cancer related heart attack. His heiress and successor, Queen Elizabeth II, throughout the five decades and more of her own reign, has drawn upon the example of selfless duty and hard work set for her by her late father.

Much of the King's effective implementation of his role is perhaps due to the unconventional but healing practices of his Australian rescuer who took on perhaps the most important task any citizen of the British Dominions could perform during the 1930s and 1940s - that of encouraging the King to encourage his subjects. This film celebrates that commitment and that accomplishment.
  86. Feb 1, 2011
    "The King's Speech" is an amazing story that is full of great performances an amazing screenplay and brilliant, skillful direction. This is, simply, a movie not to be missed!
  87. Feb 6, 2011
    The movie was good. Not great. The acting from all areas was superb. I went into the movie expecting it to be Oscar-worthy, but it just fell flat for me. Everything about how the movie was made from the visuals to the acting was great, but the story was just boring. The only scenes that I felt actually had entertainment value were the speech scenes in which Geoffrey Rush was present. Other than that, most of the story felt as if it could have been told in twenty minutes, not two hours. With that being said, Colin Firth was spectacular in his role and deserves best actor. I was rooting for him to successfully nail it the entire movie, and when he finally did, it was glorious. I just wish I could have been rooting for something moderately interesting. Black Swan all the way. Expand
  88. Feb 10, 2011
    This is a powerful and deeply moving story, told against the backdrop of a critical juncture in modern history, of the emergence of a deep friendship out of a professional relationship between two men who would otherwise never have socially interacted. The screenplay, written by David Seidler (who also wrote Tucker: The Man and his Dream), is excellent.
  89. Feb 11, 2011
    Truly a great movie. The King's Speech has never made me want to learn more about history than ever! I try to watch a variety of films and it seems that the historical/informative ones seem to pull me into the plot the most.
  90. Feb 12, 2011
    A brilliant story that speaks in fewer words. It is a humanizing of even the highest of class. Portraying the beauty in the stiffness of English regality. And yet, the unconquerable human drive to face even the most intimidating personal insecurities. A will to conquer and a leader to truly drive a nation. Go see it. This drama has heart, not glitz, and message that needs to be remembered.
  91. Feb 17, 2011
    Such a beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack by Alexander Desplat and totally brilliant and touching performance by Colin Firth. Beautiful biopic about King George VI. Tom Hooper is great but I think it's not amazing movie but a beautiful movie
  92. Feb 14, 2011
    Very pleasant movie. Great script and storyboard. Great screenplay and scenes. Excellent acting performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. It's a marvelous movie based upon actual historical facts, but in my opinion never the win the Oscar nominated for Best Movie.
  93. Feb 16, 2011
    Please go to YouTube, search for The King's Speech and you'll find my review: 'The King's Speech - a stammerer's view'. I'm the non-celebrity in the bright blue shirt and, like King George VI, I stammer!
  94. Feb 17, 2011
    I just love the depth of character Colin what's his name? brings to the title roll. Yet again a film worthy of all the applauds and more .
    P.S
    I haven't seen it yet ! Don't want to spoil my image I have of Colin what's his name?.
  95. Feb 22, 2011
    Possibly the best movie I have ever seen in quite awhile. I do not like sitting through English flicks and was not looking forward to watching this one. I savored every moment and was surprised when it ended. It blew me away that is for sure. I predict hands down - Colin Firth best actor - and this movie wins best for the Oscars.
  96. Mar 7, 2011
    A moving and funny film is hard to get but Tom Hooper and David Seidler did a great job. The Oscar was well given and I think everyone should see this movie it's a story of bravery and friendship. I got to say that Helena Bonham Carter was really different on this movie we are used to see her in crazy roles like Red Queen in "Alice in Wonderland" or Bellatrix Lestrange in "Harry Potter". Colin Firth deserved the oscar it's a hard role to play and he was great! Expand
  97. Mar 3, 2011
    Riveting performance by Colin Firth. It's a shame people can't name more of his movies:
    If you haven't seen this yet - do yourself a favor and watch it.
  98. Apr 30, 2011
    Isn't it weird how this movie was rated R yet Battle: Los Angeles wasn't?
  99. Mar 18, 2011
    You best start believing in bad movies, you're in one. A movie about a prince becoming king, a man coming to terms with his past and overcoming a personal struggle to be able to lead a country and a people at the brink of war. Should be a great movie, oscar worthy indeed. But not in this case, this movie never delivers. This is a movie you would watch on a sunday afternoon, when you're sitting on the couch and are just too lazy to change the channel. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2010
    One of the chief reasons that director Tom Hooper's richly produced film works so well is because it operates on so many different levels. The King's Speech is all about layers, and Hooper keeps it humming on several at once.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a fine, absorbing work, built with brilliance and without excessive showiness or flash. It feels, in fact, like a classic virtually upon its arrival.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Dec 24, 2010
    It's a "keep calm, carry on" wartime melodrama of the first order, and stiff though it may be, it is never less than brilliantly done.